On September 27, 1957 the Hyatt Hotel Corporation was born with the initial location being the Hyatt House, at Los Angeles International Airport. Despite its start in Los Angeles the Hyatt Hotel Corporation is a Chicago based international owner, operator, and franchiser of hotels, resorts, and vacation properties. Hyatt Hotel Corporation has now grown to include over 580 locations worldwide. The corporation is a publicly traded company that can be found on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol H. The current CEO is Mark S. Hoplamazian who was put in place by Thomas J. Pritzker. The Pritzker family bought its initial shares in the company from one of the original owners, Hyatt Robert von Dehn.
Hyatt Hotels are everywhere, and aim to offer the same high quality in service at all their locations. There are 587 locations all around the world that are united by the common goal to "care for people so they can be their best" as the Hyatt slogan states. Growing from their first location in Los Angeles to a worldwide company today is evidence of the service Hyatt has offered customers.
There is plenty of variety offered to Hyatt customers. There are six different options for full-service lodging, and four for self-service lodging. Those don't even include the select-service, extended-stay, all-inclusive resorts, and timeshares that are all available to the Hyatt traveler. Hyatt certainly has the options you would expect from a hotel company that boasts over 90,000 employees and revenue greater than $4 billion. Hyatt truly offers everything to its customers including exclusive deals to loyal travelers who choose to take part in the Hyatt Gold Passport program. Generally speaking Gold Passport member and passerby can expect generally great treatment and the following benefits:
- Convenience: Great locations convenient to most desired destinations.
- Unique: Rooms uniquely decorated to match their location.
- Fitness: Exercise rooms and pools are the norm among Hyatt Hotels.
- Options: Room options that fit the needs of all travelers.
- Connect: Wi-Fi is standard and included with your stay along with a premium option for a fee.
- Views: Most locations are next to great destinations, so many rooms include great views.
- Dining: Each location offers different dining options that add to the uniqueness of the stay.
- Events: Each location has rooms designed for meetings and conferences.
- Guidance: Hyatt helps its customers explore the area by guiding them to what the area offers.
Hyatt can cover almost anything that a traveler is looking for. If they don't have everything you need they instruct their employees to get guests whatever they need to be comfortable.
Hyatt is worldwide, but it isn't necessarily expansive. There are 587 locations around the world, but that isn't nearly as many as some other hotel companies. Customers can expect to get consistent service and quality from Hyatt, but they aren't guaranteed to have a location at all of their travel destinations. Every location offers the highest quality possible at a reasonable price. At times that price may be too high. Hyatt offers options, but those options aren't always going to fit into your plans. A Hyatt isn't going to be the best option for a quick layover.
It is difficult to find weaknesses in Hyatt Hotels, but alas there are a couple.
- The uniqueness of offered by each hotel location takes away from some of the uniformity you may expect from a hotel.
- There is no low budget offering from Hyatt for those travelers that would rather not splurge.
- While 587 locations is a lot it isn't nearly as many as some other hotel companies.
Hyatt Hotels offer a lot of strengths, but there are a few weaknesses. Only you really understand what you need from a hotel, Hyatt may or may not have what you are looking for.
The Bottom Line
Hyatt Hotels has built a great reputation of quality as they have lived up to their slogan: We care for people so that they can be their best. Helping people be their best has made it possible for Hyatt to become one of the best in the business. There are plenty of great reasons to choose Hyatt for your next stay. A quick summary includes:
- Great options for your stay from full-service, to self-service, to all-inclusive resorts.
- A rewards program, Hyatt Gold Passport, allows customers to earn points and get exclusive offers.
- Great service and high quality is offered throughout their different locations.
- Unique designs and decor that match the location of the hotel.
- Now low budget options for travels that are on a budget.