Holiday Inn Logo

8.0

Hotel Type: Economy

Holiday Inn was founded by Kemmons Wilson, a Memphis, Tennessee native inspired to build his own motel after a disappointing motel stay during a family road trip. His hotel was initially named the Holiday Inn by the original architect Eddie Bluestein as a joke, in reference to the 1942 film Holiday Inn, starring Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire. The first Holiday Inn opened in Nashville in August 1952 as Holiday Inn Hotel Courts. Today, as one of the world’s most popular hotel brands under Intercontinental Hotels Group (IHG), Holiday Inn is the most recognizable tier of service. It has two distinct types: high-rise, full-service plaza hotels and low-rise, full-service hotels. The former also included many high-rises with round, central-core construction—instantly recognizable from the traditional 1970s model. Both offer a restaurant, pools at most locations, room service, an exercise room, and functional but comfortable rooms.

Best Western Logo
#4 Best Western chevron_right
3.8

The Good

• Hotel types
  • Accommodations
  • Rewards program
A unique aspect of Holiday Inn is the fact that they offer a wide range of hotel "types" in an effort to help as many travelers as possible. For example, some Holiday Inn locations are labeled as luxurious four star hotels while other a more standard service for a lower price. Holiday Inn an ever-expanding global brand with 3 people checking into a Holiday Inn hotel every second. With such high traffic moving in and out of their hotels, Holiday Inn works to provide their guests with all the necessary services and amenities. They offer guests friendly amenities, such as:
  • on-site restaurants and bars
  • free local and toll-free calls from your room
  • access to business services like printing and faxing
Holiday hotels offer accommodations catered to both business and casual travelers' specific interests and needs. Examples:
  • Airport hotels
  • Beach hotels
  • Holidone/WaterPark hotels
  • Pet-friendly hotels
Positive feedback from guests typically consists of:
  • Good breakfast (hot eggs, sausage, and potatoes, yogurt, fruit, cereal, juice, and coffee
  • Clean rooms
  • Comfortable beds
  • Pool is nice and warm
  • Staff was really friendly and accommodating
  • Decent price
The Holiday Inn brand also spans into Holiday Inn Express and Holiday Inn Resorts. While associated together, each "type" of Holiday Inn does somewhat differ in price, services, and other amenities. This reach of brands allows Holiday Inn guests the opportunity to find the right property for their traveling needs. With thousands of Holiday Inn properties servicing a range of guest types, the Holiday Inn rewards program is something that can benefit the frequent traveler. Each qualified stay allows guests to accumulate points. The number of points earned may vary depending on the hotel rating and how much the nightly rate is. Once a guest has earned a certain number of points, they are then eligible to redeem their rewards for free night stays or other rewards.

The Bad

• Varying amenities
  • Complaints
Holiday Inn offers many nice modern full-service amenities, but there are people who would beg to differ. For example, amenities can vary per room. One room may have a mini-fridge while another does not. A few other concerns and/or common complaints:
  • no free breakfast and the breakfast buffet was $12.00
  • dated design and amenities. Needs an upgrade
  •  rooms not ready on time of arrival
  • pool is right next to where breakfast is served
The hotel's saving grace seems to be the super-friendly and helpful staff. Most guests claim that they would stay there again, but would check out some of the neighboring hotels first if they are looking for more individualized attention or more luxurious services.

The Bottom Line

Holiday Inn Hotels & Suites is a leading global midscale brand with 3 people checking in to a hotel every second. A major highlight of Holiday Inn hotels is that they're very kid-friendly. Kids eat and stay free.  Another highlight is special accommodation hotels, i.e. pet-friendly hotels. There seems to be some issues with rooms being ready on time and accommodating "booking mishaps" appropriately. Some hotels fall short of its updated, modern public image. Guests that stay at Holiday Inn can typically expect the following from their service:
  1. Varied level of hotel types: guests can choose between staying at a more up-scale location or a more economy style hotel.
  2. Standard amenities: guests can enjoy a continental breakfast, pool, fitness center, and other typical services
  3. Locations: with so many Holiday Inn hotels or resorts to choose from, guests will likely find a property where they are traveling
  4. Possible booking issues: this is a common complaint for frequent travelers due to a high volume of guests

Vicki H. Poolesville, MD

Holiday Inns are one of our favorite places to stay because they have affordable rates, comfortable rooms, and good amenities to provide a pleasant and relaxing place to stay when you are traveling.

Leonard Thompson Show Low, AZ

This is a good place to stop and get a good nights rest. It’s not a place I’d want to chill and relax in, but a place to rest my head for a night, it does the trick. The service at the front desk was professional, fast, and friendly. The website while booking a stay at Holiday Inn was also nicely designed and easy to navigate.

Sharmae Gilgen American Fork, UT

Spacious room. Clean room and comfortable beds. Enjoyed breakfast in hotel restaurant that came with our rate. Asked housekeeping 2 times for more towels and they never brought them.

Van M. Orem, UT

Holiday Inn is a cost effective place and is still comfortable. The staff has always been nice when I have stayed there. I don't believe they have continental breakfast provided though.

Cindy H Gilbert, AZ

Stayed at a Holiday Inn in Oregon during Aug 2020 and i was not impressed. The hotel was not as clean as i have seen in their other hotels. I know a lot of amenities were not available due to Covid but they didn't even have cups in your room for water. We had to ask the desk for a cup. The shower water didn't stay warm long. Place felt unkept.

Dale Ash Sandy, UT

We never go wrong with a Holiday Inn. This great hotel chain is responsive and customer focused. Years ago they had a promotion which gave you a week's free stay and 2 round trip tickets anywhere in the world. We enjoyed our trip to Europe immensely! I wrote a letter to Holiday Inn's CEO in the early 80's regarding the lack of personal grooming items in the hotel. I forgot a comb and had to go out in frigid weather in Northern Minnesota to find a comb at a convenience store. Within weeks they had signs up in all of their hotels saying that if you forgot any personal grooming items, they would be available at the front desk. That's customer focus!! Our children loved the St. George Holiday Inn with an indoor/outdoor pool you can swim from indoors to outdoors and back again. Always great value, solid comfort, and tremendous customer focus!

CoasterRider Show Low, AZ

I've traveled enough to know which hotels reliably have clean rooms and good amenities and Holiday Inn is one of them.

Dawson Sanders Fayetteville, AR

Holiday inn is a great hotel. The staff are very friendly and kind. If you have a problem with anything the staff will take care of it. The rooms are very comfortable and can fit a family comfortably!

Vicki Tran Long Beach, MS

When I first entered the booked hotel, it smelled great and the room was great. The hotel had a complementary kureg machine where you could brew your own coffee for free, there was even water in the reception room you can pour for yourself. The price of the hotel was great too for the upstanding quality of the hotel.

Tiauna Anderson Salt Lake City, UT

I recently stayed for a work trip and love the Holiday Inn. The rooms were clean, the front desk was quick to bring me extra towels and a pillow, and internet access was fast. If you are looking for a clean and comfortable room, this is definitely the place to stay!

Natalie Drewery ,

We love staying at Holiday Inn hotels! No matter where you are you know that you are getting a great hotel for a great price. Our favorite location is in Stratford London! Every time we visit England we make sure to book there as we have an incredible full English breakfast to start our day and it is such a convenient location.

Julia Halliday Pleasant Grove, UT

My family's go-to hotel is Holiday Inn. We have stayed there many times, and usually no matter where the hotel is located, Holiday Inn always has great service! The employees are very kind and accommodating for my family's personal needs. Their breakfast is always delicious, our favorite part is their yummy cinnamon rolls. My dad says there is no where else that has better cinnamon rolls than Holiday Inn. Some Holiday Inn hotels have changed their recipe for cinnamon rolls, but they still have everything else. Holiday Inn hotels are always clean, and smell nice. A good place to stay if you're unsure of where to go!

Destini Ferguson Tallahassee, FL

My boyfriend always gets our room here! The hotel is always clean and friendly, no matter the location.

Sarah Marfo Tallahassee, FL

Love this place great for families and partner get aways. They are very lovely and honestly care for their guest. Also the breakfast is a plus

Ellie Olea Chandler, AZ

They keep their amenities clean and they have very good customer service. I would highly recommend if looking for a reasonable place to stay.

Karli American Fork, UT

Holiday Inn is great! Comfortable, well taken care of and clean. They are easy to work with and the staff is always friendly and welcoming.

Kent Logan, UT

We travel infrequently, but did use a Holiday in for a family road trip once. The hotel was nice and had a nice clean pool that was fun for the kids to use before we headed on our way the next day.

keiontai henry Tallahassee, FL

The stay at the Holiday Inn is beautiful! The rooms are always clean, room service does an excellent job at cleaning and refreshing the bathroom with towels and other things. My boyfriend and I really enjoyed our time here!

Morgan whiting Salt Lake City, UT

I know that any time I stay at a holiday Inn I will have good service and a clean room. That is all you can ask for!!! When I am in an area I don’t know look for a holiday inn.

Lottielyn Schwenke Orlando, FL

Stayed at the Holiday Inn at the beach. It was great and I appreciated all the staff did to keep germs and covid at bay. Great spacey rooms especially since we have a large family!

AF ,

The Holiday Inns that we've stayed in have been very nice. Clean and kind staff. Like most hotels, I think it sometimes depends on each individual hotel on what your experience will be like, but we like them.

Jadon Barre Dallas, TX

Holiday Inn was the most enjoyable stay I’ve had in a hotel. I was extremely happy with the care put into my room before I entered. It was as though I had stepped into a brand new room just for me. The staff was very polite and friendly. It was a great stay for my trip out of town.

Anita pea Dallas, TX

The Holiday Inn hotels were a great choice when going out of state. The employees there were always nice and the maids always clean up the room perfectly. It looked like no one was there. The prices were also amazing and I would recommend them to anyone

Jake Baleyev Madison, MS

Absolutely the best experience I have had at a hotel, was at a holiday inn. Always amazing service, good parking usually, located in good areas of the city(very safe). Actual service was very good compared to competition, beds are soft, TVs have good channels, bathrooms are high quality.

Kymberlee Yack Orem, UT

my family loves holiday inn. we've been point members for years. growing up this is the only place we stayed on business trips, and now that i'm old enough doing my own trips this is the only place i will stay. it's affordable, kid friendly, and the service is always great.

Victoria Matthews Waller

So-so. Rooms were average and slightly musty smelling. Halls were slightly warmer than comfortable and musty smelling. Refurnishings seemed slightly old and faded. Bar area was contemporary and upbeat. People who worked there were friendly and helpful. The people there semed to want you to have a good time. Pool was small; had to have valet service; unloading and loading car was difficult as to where to park; paid to have pet with us'-policy was changed to not having pets allowed a couple of months before our visit and we were called to be told that we couldn't have our little fifteen pound dog with us so we had to make other arrangements for him, and though and behold another customer was allowed to bring a simular-size dog and they had made there booking months later than us. Breakfast was okay, but was included in the total bill which seemed rather high. We booked a room for three days.

Doyal Stewart Salt Lake City, UT

Holiday Inn's are probably one of my more favorite of the affordable choices for hotels. They are always clean, and the beds have always been comfortable. When they are an option, they are definitely one of our top choices while traveling.

Stephanie Love Herriman, UT

We love the holiday inn. There has been times I have taken my kids to the holiday inn in my same city to just get away for the weekend. They have great deals and awesome customer service. I’ve even had my kids’ birthday parties at their hotel. They have a theater room too. The pool and hot tub was a big hit and the complimentary breakfast. I will definitely keep staying at the holiday inn.

take7 Sandy, UT

We almost always use Holiday Inn because my husband gets points through all his travels for work as well. There is usually always one we can find close by to wherever we are going. They give us late checkout. They are clean and give extra supplies when we ask. It's clean. Wifi is always ready and available for us. The front office is always nice and helpful. When there's breakfast it is even better!

Donna Williams Phoenix, AZ

Love Holiday Inn. I have stayed several times at Holiday Inn Express across the nation and I have always been impressed. The beds are clean and comfortable. The pillows are divine! In the morning, their breakfast buffet is hot and ready and delicious. Excellent customer service. It is the first place I go to when I want a hotel. The pricing is excellent.

Jun Chen Rockville, MD

I live lots of time in Holiday Inn when our family travel around. The breakfast is good. The bed is always comfortable.

Amber Thompson Show Low, AZ

Every stay at Holiday Inn has been comfortable and we have enjoyed it. The service is great!

Elyse Simunek Kirkland, WA

Had the chance to check this hotel out and it was a great time being the; such respectful service and friendly staff.

Carol Knight Salt Lake City, UT

Holiday Inn is a reliable middle of the road Hotel that we use whenever we want a comfortable, affordable place to stay.

Mary Alice M. Orem, UT

It was a great option for not a lot of money. If you are looking to save money and have a decent place to stay this is your place.

Christopher Whiting Los Angeles, CA

Great rooms at a competitive price, they are always nice, updated, and clean. I travel a lot across the country and Holiday Inn is my go-to hotel when possible.

Lkirton Park City, UT

We love staying at the Holiday Inn. It is a family friendly hotel. I appreciate that I feel safe staying in there hotels and they are clean and well kept.

Patrick Curry Salt Lake City, UT

Stay in Holiday Inn quite often. They're such a great place to stay at an affordable price. Love being able to get points quite easy. Love their hotels

Cade Boudreaux , FL

Holiday Inn is a very great hotel. I’ve never had a bad experience in a Holiday Inn. The free breakfast is also amazing just as all hotels and the staff was very welcoming and were able to solve all my problems

JDWain Tallahassee, FL

I always stay at the holiday inn when travelling for work, i find that you cant beat their prices and consistency every-time i stay there. The breakfast is always great and so are the staff members

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Holiday Inn is a favorite of mine. They always offer me great rates, clean rooms, and fantastic locations near downtowns and events. They are central in many bigger cities so staying at a Holiday Inn is a no brainer.

Brittany Wilkinson Herriman, UT

We've stayed at the Holiday Inn a few times. It makes for a reasonable vacation while traveling with kids. We have enjoyed our stay. They have been clean and the customer service was good.

McKinzie Figueroa Provo, UT

The best thing about Holiday is the value that you get for the price. It may not be the nicest hotel out there, but it is great for what you are paying for. Every time I have gone it has been clean and we have never had any problems.

Nishita McLean, VA

Can always count on Holiday Inn's have stayed in theme even during my Scotland trip and multiple times during my visit to San Francisco and Buffalo. Very accommodating, comfortable, money's worth and good locations.

Jacinda E Sandy, UT

This is the hotel that my family and I stayed at the most when we went on family vacations. I liked how clean their rooms are. The maid services were always great. And there was always an ice machine close by keep our water cold.

Keri North Las Vegas, NV

Great place to live on vacation or traveling. They provided everything we needed when we was pulled over because the roads were closed due to the snow. Very good accommodations.

Teri Hatch Maricopa, AZ

The facility was well decorated, clean with nice amenities. The local area was a little scary, but California seems to have a lot of homeless people on the streets no matter where you go.

Charlotte Ash Sandy, UT

We have enjoyed staying at Holiday Inn for many years!! It was great to travel all over and have a great place with fun swimming pools and great breakfast to enjoy in the mornings. Its a great family hotel. They had great service and good perks.

Allen Bronson Idaho Falls, ID

Stayed in a Holiday Inn in Porto Alegre Brazil. That I can remember this was my first time in a Holiday Inn. We had a late flight that got us to the hotel at around 3:00 am. It took about 1/2 hour to check in. The check in staff was not very friendly. We got to the room and the water was not working to the toilet so you could not flush and barely a trickle was coming out of the sink. I asked for another room and they said they were full and did not have another room. So I asked them to come and fix the water. It ended up being something with the water pressure or pressurizing the line. They got it working around 4:30. We were tired from flying all day and just wanted to sleep. Don't know why water was not working before we got there. if it doesn't work in that room don't rent that room. The room was not that great either. The rooms were small. The sheets looked dirty. I expected way more from Holiday Inn. Very disappointing.

Susan Stewart Salt Lake City, UT

I would say for affordable hotels that Holiday Inn is one of the best ones. The one's I have been to have been very nice. The last one I stayed in had a really pretty swimming pool and hot tub that we really enjoyed. The staff has always been very pleasant as well.