Hampton Inn and Suites Logo

Is This Your Business?

7.7

LAST UPDATED: October 19th, 2021
Hotel Type: Economy
The first Hampton Inn opened its doors in Memphis in the summer of 1984. It was a two-story, exterior-entrance building with 128 guest rooms. Subsequently, Hampton Hotels were launched as a division of Holiday Inn, then owned by a Memphis, Tennessee, holding company named Promus Hotel Corporation. In 1999, Promus Hotels was acquired by Hilton for $3.7 billion. The Hampton brand then became part of the Hilton Focused Service Group, and competing with brands such as La Quinta Inns & Suites, Comfort Inn, and Baymont Inn & Suites. Hampton Inn is currently the largest franchise in the United States. Hotels marked Hampton Inn & Suites offer suites in addition to the standard rooms found at a Hampton Inn.

The Good

• Guarantee
  • Upgrades
  • Accommodations
Hampton Inn offers a bold 100% guarantee of friendly service, clean rooms and comfortable surroundings, every time. If guests are not satisfied, Hampton doesn't expect them to pay. Hampton also prides itself on offering a consistent, relaxed approach. They have an online store named shophampton.com so guests can capture the same "comfort-driven spirit" at home. Items sold are the exclusively available Hampton Bed, Hampton's signature bedding collection, bath linens, shower accessories, and home goods. Recently, Hampton inn has made some new upgrades, including:
  • localized packages, i.e. a Casino Package or a Fallsview Indoor Waterpark Package at the Hampton Inn at the Falls in Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada.
  • hot items in the "On the House" breakfast including hard-boiled eggs, fresh fruit, and cheese omelettes with real, non-processed cheddar cheese
  • a new "Jump Start Fitness Center"
  • Hampton locations offer additional services like an onsite bar as well as limited lunch and dinner.
Other guest accommodations include:
  • curved shower curtain rods in bathrooms
  • upgraded hotel beds to the luxurious "Cloud Nine".

The Bad

• Limited service
  • Consistency
  • Noise
Most Hampton Hotels (except the new Hampton Boutique Hotels) are considered limited-service hotels, as they do not offer an on-site restaurant nor amenities such as bell services and concierge found at full-service hotels. Another potential downfall is the fact that Hampton Inn hotels are mostly owned by individual franchisees, meaning that brand consistency and quality standards are not streamlined. One Hampton hotel can vary greatly from the next regarding amenities and the quality of amenities. The downside of being in a convenient location is the noise factor. The closer your room is to the street, the higher the chances you will not have a good night's sleep or an overall quiet relaxing experience.

The Bottom Line

With over 30 years in the hotel business, the Hampton Inn brand primarily caters to the budget-minded business and leisure traveler.  The hotel includes free breakfast, free Wifi in rooms and typcially great locations for tourists. It's not a luxury hotel, however, but it is affordable. Its major highlight is its 100% money back guarantee if guests are not satisfied.

Morgan Tennant Shelley, ID

I love Hampton Inn! Their customer service is fantastic; their staff is so friendly and helpful. Their hotels are always clean and ready for me when I arrive. Their accommodations, like the pool and exercise rooms, are really nice to have while traveling. Once I'm there I have everything I need!

Doug Foerch Libertyville, IL

A mid range hotel that is quite noice. They have a garden tee that you will enjoy your stay or money back.

courtney tennant Salem, VA

Hotel of choice whenever I'm going out of town. Wouldn't want to stay anywhere else. Most of their hotels offer complimentary breakfast that is very tasty and they have healthy options too.

Simone Harris Tallahassee, FL

My experiences with this hotel chain have been nothing but positive. Their breakfast, beds, and customer service has consistently been good in the various branches I've stayed at.

Gabe Burton Riverton, UT

Clean, they leave little candy and mints for you, which is kinda cute, however it can be pricey and spotty depending on location. My last stay was good, and they even re-washed my sheets when they smelled a little funny!

Brenda Nakhon Sawan, 60

I have stayed at a Hampton Inn a few times over the past year because I tend to traveled though a lot. They are one of my favorite Inns to stay at because they are clean and the beds are comfortable. I haven’t ever had an unpleasant experience even though hotels aren’t necessarily my favorite place to sleep.

TTeep Smithfield, UT

Hampton Inn and Suites are one hotel we love keeping on our list because their rooms are normally a little nicer than your basic run of the mill hotels.

Lisa C Johnson Washington, DC

I dont think its fair to lump all Hampton hotels ratings together. Each hotel is different. I had a bad experience at a Hampton Inn in VA. This should not reflect all Hampton Inns. At this particular hotel the room we were given the wall units were not working. The room lights, the TV, the refrigerator, etc didnt work. The refrigerator still had the previous occupants food in it. We were moved to another room and it was much better. However, the price was very reasonable and the front desk did her best to correct the problem.

The Bean Spiller Provo, UT

They had a really good breakfast and pretty typical hotel setup in terms of interior design, furnishings and the like. A little pricey, however

Dave Spokane, WA

I've used Hampton for both business and personal purposes. The rooms are clean and well supplied. If I book with Hampton, I don't have to worry about the hotel being a dump; it is guaranteed to be a good experience.

Christopher Milke Olney, MD

Great select service product that always delivers. Since full service hotels seem to be a dying breed, you can usually find a Hampton Inn near other amenities where you can get meals and other services.

Frances Harmatuk Baltimore, MD

I love the customer service you get while in a Hampton Inn. I miss traveling because of the pandemic but can't wait to get back on the road and back to my favorite Hampton Inns.

peter harmatuk Poolesville, MD

Hampton Inns are our first choice when traveling by auto as they are almost everywhere, clean and comfortable, well priced and a value when compared with other chains. They have things like free WiFI where it is often charged for by others. Their "free" breakfast, in many places, rivals what you can get in a fast breakfast restaurant.

Adam Simpson Provo, UT

Stayed in a Hampton for my wedding night. Their deluxe suite was relatively inexpensive and had wonderful comforts. I didn't see anything wrong with it! Breakfast was fine, beds were comfortable, bathroom was huge, and price was not bad at all. Very professional.

Trent Ewing Round Lake, IL

Recently stayed at a Hampton in Idaho Falls. I really enjoyed my stay and even though they had a modified breakfast due to Covid, it was still great! We checked in a little later in the day and due to lower occupancy upgraded our room!

Kenneth Okerlund

I've always had really good experiences here. They are very accommodating and polite and a very good mid-range hotel (right in the middle for niceness and price). They even donated a lot of their brand new extra pillows/blankets when I had talked to them about a charity project I was working on to help the homeless shelters in my area. Overall, I have never had a bad experience with them.

Yolanda Queer Shelley, ID

Hampton Inns are a great place to park it for the night: the beds are always fresh and I love their pillows!

Cris Balmanno Riverton, UT

Rooms and lobby were clean, but that's about it. Corporate is no help since each site is "independently owned and operated".

Adrianne murray Brigham City, UT

This is by far my favorite hotel to stay in. we have one in our town and this is the only hotel my dad will stay in. After my mom stayed in there just one time she realized that it was worth the extra few dollars. The food is great but the service is even better. I’ve eaten there many times. I’m not sure if this because we are in a small town but they always suggest that when you have family staying we come in to eat breakfast with them. The smoothies are so good although ours only serves it during the weekdays. Even though their prices are a tad bit more than the cheap hotels if you sign up to be a loyal member you earn free nights so it is actually about the same. The rooms are always clean

Yanesezah Fenelon Delray Beach, FL

I believe Hampton Inn hotels are fairly priced and provide great service. I appreciate the cleanliness of each Hampton Inn and how amazing the staff is.

Christina Lockett Frederick, MD

I would not recommend Hampton Inn and Suites for anyone who is trying to book a trip. When I got to the hotel the staff DID NOT wear any mask which is considered a health risk to staff and people booking a room. The first room I stayed at was on the 2nd floor and I could hear kids screaming and mothers yelling at their kids to go to bed. When I told the staff they just told me they were booked and there was nothing for them to do. I left the hotel and went to another one a couple miles down from it I am glad there was a closer hotel near by where I could book and get in.

David Stickles West Jordan, UT

Great value and they are wide spread and easy to find and book.

Vicki H. Poolesville, MD

We have frequently stayed at Hampton Inns on trips where we were traveling by automobile. We find that they have reasonably priced rooms, include breakfast, have WIFI available, and are usually located near places to eat.

Cade Boudreaux , FL

The last time I got a hotel room at the Hampton Inn’s, I had a pretty good experience. It’s for my friend’s bachelor party and we stayed the night and we’re accommodated on everything we needed and the staff made us feel like family.

Kenneth Ericksen Hyde Park, UT

Hampton Inn is a clean medium grade hotel chain. I stay in them whenever I can. I love their breakfasts - eggs, bacon, sausage and everything else. Beds are comfortable and rooms are clean. I have stayed in higher priced hotels with not nearly as nice a rooms. Also higher priced hotels do not offer free breakfast. Cheaper or comparably priced hotels rooms are not as nice and have only Continental Breakfast. In my opinion - bang for the buck you can't beat Hampton Inn.

Brooke Snyder Troutville, VA

Great experience at the location in west va with great check in time and cleanliness

TheTennant 5 Salem, VA

Consistent quality, price is good, but it’s time to mix up the breakfast menu.

Maddison Vela San Antonio, TX

Every stay I have had at the Hampton Inn and Suites has been a very enjoyable experience. The people were wonderful, the service was great, and the rooms were very clean. I am very thankful I have been able to have such great experiences here!

Sydney Charleston South Jordan, UT

Hampton is a nice hotel. The service is always good and the rooms are nice!

James Conder Eagle Mountain, UT

I was able to experience some stays at the Hampton Inn and Suites hotels when I was traveling for work. The experience, and rooms were amazing and the amenities they allow their customer to experience was 2nd to none. A lot of these had an evening with appetizers, beer and wine. I was never able to experience this at other hotels and it was nice to come back from a long day of work, unwind and get some snacks and wine to end the day.

Raúl Galeano Elkridge, MD

A few weeks ago we stayed at the Hampton Inn in Ashland, outside Richmond, Virginia. We're really surprised, the facilities are very good, very good and comfortable. I would also like to emphasize all the staff (administrative, service and security even) of the hotel, because they are well - suited to customer care. I'd be back in practice without hesitation, we re very comfortable.

Irinna Danielson Riverton, UT

If there's a Hampton Inn nearby, I know that's where I want to stay. The hotels are always clean and we love the breakfast. It always seems better than your typical continental breakfast and it seems like such a bonus to the cleanliness of the rooms and just the nice atmosphere of the hotel. For value hotels, this is one of my favorites. The rooms are spacious, the service is good, and it's affordable for my family with kids.

Megan A McEvoy Tallahassee, FL

My father is a member of the Hilton Honors program, and we have stayed at a Hampton Inn for every family vacation or trip that I can remember. I was a figure skater and I used to travel to Canada for three weeks at a time for skate camp and the Hampton Inn was always our home for the month. I’ve had amazing experiences and memories that all stem from staying in Hampton Inns in many different locations. The breakfast is always great and the customer service is amazing no matter what location you are in. There is definitely consistency within Hampton Inns across the globe!

Tom M Holmdel, NJ

I stay at Hampton Inn and Suites frequently when I travel. I highly recommend them. I think they are a great value. I have had a great experience using them so I joined the Hilton Honor's reward program. I am a Gold member at this time. The rooms are always what I expect. There is flexibility on room pricing and bonus points! The staff is friendly and acknowledges as a member when I sign in. Hampton Inn and Hilton is my first choice brand.

Katie Kearney Vienna, VA

We booked our wedding hotel block with Hampton Inn and their rep that helped me was amazing. She was so helpful and truly helped me get my website setup and made sure I had everything I needed. The hotel was super clean and the staff was amazing and made sure all of our guests received their welcome bags and were comfortable. I highly recommend them!

Destini Ferguson Tallahassee, FL

A great hotel at a cheap price. The complimentary breakfast tastes great and is always refreshed. The staff is also welcoming.

Beth Knight Nakhon Sawan, 60

I love staying with Hampton Inn! The staff is always extremely polite and friendly and the rooms are always freshly cleaned. Highly recommend

Megan Milke Laurel, MD

I personally have not had the best experience in Hampton Inn, every time I stayed in one of their hotels it was in a sketchy area and smelled like cigarette smoke even in the non smoking rooms.

Mary Hardy Annapolis, MD

I was not expecting a Waldorf experience! But I must say the property is in need of a good cleanup! Great continental breakfast.

Peter Harmatuk Columbia, MD

I’ve been a long time customer of Hampton Inn for 20+ years. The suite concept is really nice and gives you a bit of extra room and comfort when compared to a standard hotel room.

Christi Gilbert Gettysburg, PA

I like earning the points to go towards future stays and being able to give those points to someone else, like a fellow soccer mom who is also going to the tournament with you.

Joannetta Jarman Secaucus, NJ

These are great for long stays in places that don't have a lot of options. Very spacious and the amenities are great too. We had a kitchen in the Orlando location one year and it worked perfectly for family meals.

Brayden Ibert Houston, TX

Hampton Inn and Suites is always a good choice for me. The beds are always clean and the breakfast is always good when they have it. I’ve never had another hotel staff better.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Hampton Inn and Suites is perfect for the mid level range. Not too pricey and great rooms. They even had great meeting rooms with food service. They have always been timely and helpful in all hotel services.

Larson Riverton, UT

I was very happy with this day. I had great service and love the location. Found the place to be very clean and the people working were very friendly. I would recommend this To my friends and family.

Susan Stewart Salt Lake City, UT

I would say the Hampton Inn is a nice in-between type of hotel. It's not as expensive as some, but not as nasty to stay in as others. I don't expect to be wowed at a Hampton, but I can sleep without thinking about bed bugs and what the people there before me did. Those are the kind of thoughts that keep me up at night. The Hampoton Inn is overall pretty nice, I would recommend using them.

Carol Hancock

We stayed at the Hampton Inn in downtown Philadelphia this past week. The desk help was fantastic. They were very friendly and made sure that we had everything we needed. They were great about giving us directions for the surrounding area and made our stay great. The bellman was also very helpful with our luggage and was friendly.

Gbpe1 Richfield, UT

I have stayed with them many times in various locations. They are often a little more money than the budget motels but if quality and comfort are important for a particular stay, I know I can count on them.

Ericka P Collins, GA

Hampton Inn and Suites are very nice. They have wonderful customer service, clean rooms and nice amenities. Their rewards points system is also very convenient for frequent travelers.

Mark Troxel Provo, UT

We have been users of the Hampton Inns for a number of years. We started as HiltonHonors members and liked the convenience of being able to book and use bonus points all at the same time. Hampton Inns are very similar no matter where you stay. We like the consistency of the comfort of the beds. We like that everything on the bed is changed with every guest, sheets, pillow cases, and duvet covers for the quilt. We feel they are some of the cleanest places we can stay. We no longer use our HiltonHonors account to make reservations, because you can find better deals on other booking sites. Their guarantee of having the best rate is a hassle to deal with so we use Hotels.com. We still stay at the Hampton Inn, and get our free nights through Hotels.com. Win Win.