Hampton Inn and Suites Logo

Is This Your Business?

7.7

LAST UPDATED: April 21st, 2022
Hotel Type: Economy
The first Hampton Inn opened its doors in Memphis in the summer of 1984. It was a two-story, exterior-entrance building with 128 guest rooms. Subsequently, Hampton Hotels were launched as a division of Holiday Inn, then owned by a Memphis, Tennessee, holding company named Promus Hotel Corporation. In 1999, Promus Hotels was acquired by Hilton for $3.7 billion. The Hampton brand then became part of the Hilton Focused Service Group, and competing with brands such as La Quinta Inns & Suites, Comfort Inn, and Baymont Inn & Suites. Hampton Inn is currently the largest franchise in the United States. Hotels marked Hampton Inn & Suites offer suites in addition to the standard rooms found at a Hampton Inn.

The Good

• Guarantee
  • Upgrades
  • Accommodations
Hampton Inn offers a bold 100% guarantee of friendly service, clean rooms and comfortable surroundings, every time. If guests are not satisfied, Hampton doesn't expect them to pay. Hampton also prides itself on offering a consistent, relaxed approach. They have an online store named shophampton.com so guests can capture the same "comfort-driven spirit" at home. Items sold are the exclusively available Hampton Bed, Hampton's signature bedding collection, bath linens, shower accessories, and home goods. Recently, Hampton inn has made some new upgrades, including:
  • localized packages, i.e. a Casino Package or a Fallsview Indoor Waterpark Package at the Hampton Inn at the Falls in Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada.
  • hot items in the "On the House" breakfast including hard-boiled eggs, fresh fruit, and cheese omelettes with real, non-processed cheddar cheese
  • a new "Jump Start Fitness Center"
  • Hampton locations offer additional services like an onsite bar as well as limited lunch and dinner.
Other guest accommodations include:
  • curved shower curtain rods in bathrooms
  • upgraded hotel beds to the luxurious "Cloud Nine".

The Bad

• Limited service
  • Consistency
  • Noise
Most Hampton Hotels (except the new Hampton Boutique Hotels) are considered limited-service hotels, as they do not offer an on-site restaurant nor amenities such as bell services and concierge found at full-service hotels. Another potential downfall is the fact that Hampton Inn hotels are mostly owned by individual franchisees, meaning that brand consistency and quality standards are not streamlined. One Hampton hotel can vary greatly from the next regarding amenities and the quality of amenities. The downside of being in a convenient location is the noise factor. The closer your room is to the street, the higher the chances you will not have a good night's sleep or an overall quiet relaxing experience.

The Bottom Line

With over 30 years in the hotel business, the Hampton Inn brand primarily caters to the budget-minded business and leisure traveler.  The hotel includes free breakfast, free Wifi in rooms and typcially great locations for tourists. It's not a luxury hotel, however, but it is affordable. Its major highlight is its 100% money back guarantee if guests are not satisfied.

carole abel Palm Coast, FL

we went to Savannah for a short getaway and stayed at the Hampton inn on Bay street- what a great location. right along the riverfront in a lively but safe area. We chose valet parking for the 2 days because there was not much overnite parking. we enjoyed the breakfast each morning as there were a lot of choices for the family. our room was clean and accessible. the only disappointment was that the pool was not open even though it was seasonal swim weather, it will probably open after may. Staff was friendly and efficient

Charlene Cabral Jamaica Plain, MA

Stayed at Hampton Inn Benton Harbor Michigan and was blown away! The hotel was so immaculate that I was convinced it had been open for days - well, it’s been a year or so. The whole place is exceptionally clean and well maintained and staffed. Front desk clerks were helpful and friendly and Annie in the kitchen is a sweet lady that keeps the breakfast area looking like nobody has been there. It is well stocked and so clean! I highly recommend the place!

Mario Martin Montgomery, TX

Years ago I was looking to take my wife on a weekend excursion after her surgery. I had researched a few hotels in the area of my choice. Unbelievably, most of the hotels were unacceptably overpriced and/or didn't offer the amenities that I needed and expected. Lastly, I decided to contact Hampton Inns & Suites against my better judgement (because I figured they would be overpriced as well). I call and had the pleasure of speaking with management. I had explained what I wanted to do for my wife, and the Hampton Inns & Suites management offered me an AMAZING weekend experience, with all the amenities expected and more. The whole weekend my wife and I had received best service experience one can ask for. Not only was the Hampton Inns &Suites clean, comfortable, and professional. The entire weekend was the most budget friendly we've after experienced. Needless-to-say, Hampton Inns & Suites has made a loyalist of my family.

Korinne C Riverton, UT

Recently stayed in a Hampton Inn and Suites. The stay was great, the rooms were clean, and the pool was fun. A couple of suggestions though. The comforter on the bed must not have been washed recently because it smelled like bo. I had to go ask the front desk for a new one and they seemed annoyed that they would have to come to zip it all together or something to give me a new one. The other thing was the pool towels were so tiny. Even for my kids, they didn't do much at all. Other than that is was great!

Shopman Herriman, UT

Hampton Inn and Suites has done a great job of making their customers feel safe during Covid. They have strict cleaning practices. I felt comfortable knowing my family was protected from unnecessary germs. The new to-go breakfast was also fantastic. We were able to take our food to our room and avoid contact with others. Plus the food was delicious!

Amberly Pack Salt Lake City, UT

Great experience renting a suite with my kids. They played games in the common kitchen area, swam in the pool, ate fresh- cooked late night cookies from the lobby, and started the next day with a convenient breakfast. Thanks for the hospitality!

anna blaser CA

Hampton Inn is a pretty good option, especially if you’re looking for a good price. They have good cleaning and room management, but sometimes the staff is lacking. Compared to others, it doesn’t rank as high, but on it’s own it’s not too bad.

Brian Cowley Riverton, UT

Recently stayed in a Hampton Inn in St. George. It was a good hotel and was clean for the most part. It was a new hotel and the towels where pretty pathetic for a such a new hotel. And the pool towels they give you barely even covered our smaller children. Other than that, it was a good hotel.

Morgan Tennant Shelley, ID

I love Hampton Inn! Their customer service is fantastic; their staff is so friendly and helpful. Their hotels are always clean and ready for me when I arrive. Their accommodations, like the pool and exercise rooms, are really nice to have while traveling. Once I'm there I have everything I need!

Kenneth Okerlund

I've always had really good experiences here. They are very accommodating and polite and a very good mid-range hotel (right in the middle for niceness and price). They even donated a lot of their brand new extra pillows/blankets when I had talked to them about a charity project I was working on to help the homeless shelters in my area. Overall, I have never had a bad experience with them.

Adrianne murray Brigham City, UT

This is by far my favorite hotel to stay in. we have one in our town and this is the only hotel my dad will stay in. After my mom stayed in there just one time she realized that it was worth the extra few dollars. The food is great but the service is even better. I’ve eaten there many times. I’m not sure if this because we are in a small town but they always suggest that when you have family staying we come in to eat breakfast with them. The smoothies are so good although ours only serves it during the weekdays. Even though their prices are a tad bit more than the cheap hotels if you sign up to be a loyal member you earn free nights so it is actually about the same. The rooms are always clean

courtney tennant Salem, VA

Hotel of choice whenever I'm going out of town. Wouldn't want to stay anywhere else. Most of their hotels offer complimentary breakfast that is very tasty and they have healthy options too.

Cade Boudreaux , FL

The last time I got a hotel room at the Hampton Inn’s, I had a pretty good experience. It’s for my friend’s bachelor party and we stayed the night and we’re accommodated on everything we needed and the staff made us feel like family.

Kenneth Ericksen Hyde Park, UT

Hampton Inn is a clean medium grade hotel chain. I stay in them whenever I can. I love their breakfasts - eggs, bacon, sausage and everything else. Beds are comfortable and rooms are clean. I have stayed in higher priced hotels with not nearly as nice a rooms. Also higher priced hotels do not offer free breakfast. Cheaper or comparably priced hotels rooms are not as nice and have only Continental Breakfast. In my opinion - bang for the buck you can't beat Hampton Inn.

James Conder Eagle Mountain, UT

I was able to experience some stays at the Hampton Inn and Suites hotels when I was traveling for work. The experience, and rooms were amazing and the amenities they allow their customer to experience was 2nd to none. A lot of these had an evening with appetizers, beer and wine. I was never able to experience this at other hotels and it was nice to come back from a long day of work, unwind and get some snacks and wine to end the day.

Raúl Galeano Elkridge, MD

A few weeks ago we stayed at the Hampton Inn in Ashland, outside Richmond, Virginia. We're really surprised, the facilities are very good, very good and comfortable. I would also like to emphasize all the staff (administrative, service and security even) of the hotel, because they are well - suited to customer care. I'd be back in practice without hesitation, we re very comfortable.

Irinna Danielson Riverton, UT

If there's a Hampton Inn nearby, I know that's where I want to stay. The hotels are always clean and we love the breakfast. It always seems better than your typical continental breakfast and it seems like such a bonus to the cleanliness of the rooms and just the nice atmosphere of the hotel. For value hotels, this is one of my favorites. The rooms are spacious, the service is good, and it's affordable for my family with kids.

Megan A McEvoy Tallahassee, FL

My father is a member of the Hilton Honors program, and we have stayed at a Hampton Inn for every family vacation or trip that I can remember. I was a figure skater and I used to travel to Canada for three weeks at a time for skate camp and the Hampton Inn was always our home for the month. I’ve had amazing experiences and memories that all stem from staying in Hampton Inns in many different locations. The breakfast is always great and the customer service is amazing no matter what location you are in. There is definitely consistency within Hampton Inns across the globe!

Tom M Holmdel, NJ

I stay at Hampton Inn and Suites frequently when I travel. I highly recommend them. I think they are a great value. I have had a great experience using them so I joined the Hilton Honor's reward program. I am a Gold member at this time. The rooms are always what I expect. There is flexibility on room pricing and bonus points! The staff is friendly and acknowledges as a member when I sign in. Hampton Inn and Hilton is my first choice brand.

Katie Kearney Vienna, VA

We booked our wedding hotel block with Hampton Inn and their rep that helped me was amazing. She was so helpful and truly helped me get my website setup and made sure I had everything I needed. The hotel was super clean and the staff was amazing and made sure all of our guests received their welcome bags and were comfortable. I highly recommend them!

Anoushka Ahuja Berlin, CT

Everyone was helpful, cheerful and accommodating at every interaction. Room was very clean and comfortable.

Luke Swierczynski Troy, MI

If I ever need a quick weekend trip or stay for business this is one of my many go to stays if they're in the area. They're super nice for the price.

Terrah Anderson Herriman, UT

We really love staying at the Hampton Inn when we travel as a family. The free breakfasts and pool are great for family travel.

Nyla C. Tallahassee, FL

Hampton Inn and Suites has been one of the hotels that I have been staying at for years now when I travel given that they are a trustworthy franchise. They have great customer service and good breakfast as well.

Brayden Ibert Houston, TX

Hampton Inn and Suites is always a good choice for me. The beds are always clean and the breakfast is always good when they have it. I’ve never had another hotel staff better.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Hampton Inn and Suites is perfect for the mid level range. Not too pricey and great rooms. They even had great meeting rooms with food service. They have always been timely and helpful in all hotel services.

Larson Riverton, UT

I was very happy with this day. I had great service and love the location. Found the place to be very clean and the people working were very friendly. I would recommend this To my friends and family.

Susan Stewart Salt Lake City, UT

I would say the Hampton Inn is a nice in-between type of hotel. It's not as expensive as some, but not as nasty to stay in as others. I don't expect to be wowed at a Hampton, but I can sleep without thinking about bed bugs and what the people there before me did. Those are the kind of thoughts that keep me up at night. The Hampoton Inn is overall pretty nice, I would recommend using them.

Carol Hancock

We stayed at the Hampton Inn in downtown Philadelphia this past week. The desk help was fantastic. They were very friendly and made sure that we had everything we needed. They were great about giving us directions for the surrounding area and made our stay great. The bellman was also very helpful with our luggage and was friendly.

Simone Harris Tallahassee, FL

My experiences with this hotel chain have been nothing but positive. Their breakfast, beds, and customer service has consistently been good in the various branches I've stayed at.

Brenda Nakhon Sawan, 60

I have stayed at a Hampton Inn a few times over the past year because I tend to traveled though a lot. They are one of my favorite Inns to stay at because they are clean and the beds are comfortable. I haven’t ever had an unpleasant experience even though hotels aren’t necessarily my favorite place to sleep.

Lisa C Johnson Washington, DC

I dont think its fair to lump all Hampton hotels ratings together. Each hotel is different. I had a bad experience at a Hampton Inn in VA. This should not reflect all Hampton Inns. At this particular hotel the room we were given the wall units were not working. The room lights, the TV, the refrigerator, etc didnt work. The refrigerator still had the previous occupants food in it. We were moved to another room and it was much better. However, the price was very reasonable and the front desk did her best to correct the problem.

peter harmatuk Poolesville, MD

Hampton Inns are our first choice when traveling by auto as they are almost everywhere, clean and comfortable, well priced and a value when compared with other chains. They have things like free WiFI where it is often charged for by others. Their "free" breakfast, in many places, rivals what you can get in a fast breakfast restaurant.

Adam Simpson Provo, UT

Stayed in a Hampton for my wedding night. Their deluxe suite was relatively inexpensive and had wonderful comforts. I didn't see anything wrong with it! Breakfast was fine, beds were comfortable, bathroom was huge, and price was not bad at all. Very professional.

Trent Ewing Round Lake, IL

Recently stayed at a Hampton in Idaho Falls. I really enjoyed my stay and even though they had a modified breakfast due to Covid, it was still great! We checked in a little later in the day and due to lower occupancy upgraded our room!

Mark Troxel Provo, UT

We have been users of the Hampton Inns for a number of years. We started as HiltonHonors members and liked the convenience of being able to book and use bonus points all at the same time. Hampton Inns are very similar no matter where you stay. We like the consistency of the comfort of the beds. We like that everything on the bed is changed with every guest, sheets, pillow cases, and duvet covers for the quilt. We feel they are some of the cleanest places we can stay. We no longer use our HiltonHonors account to make reservations, because you can find better deals on other booking sites. Their guarantee of having the best rate is a hassle to deal with so we use Hotels.com. We still stay at the Hampton Inn, and get our free nights through Hotels.com. Win Win.

Maddison Vela San Antonio, TX

Every stay I have had at the Hampton Inn and Suites has been a very enjoyable experience. The people were wonderful, the service was great, and the rooms were very clean. I am very thankful I have been able to have such great experiences here!

Tiauna Anderson Salt Lake City, UT

We recently stayed at the Hampton Inn and Suites when visiting family out of town. The hotel and rooms were clean and comfortable and the pool was fun and warm for my girls to play in. I recommend if you are looking for a family friendly place to stay.

cb Thibodaux, LA

I had a bad experience once at a Hampton in St. Louis and I alerted the staff. They had a 100% guarentee policy and told me my room was taken care of and had helped me with fixing the problems with my room! Very caring and kind staff!

take7 Sandy, UT

We can usually find a Hampton close by to any of the places we go to. They are clean and nice comfortable rooms. I look forward to rest when I stay here! They are close to shops and necessities too. The breakfast that's always a plus especially traveling with kids. Professional service people all around.

Shauna Horne American Fork, UT

The Hampton Inn and Suites in St. George, Utah is one of our favorite hotels. They have the most comfortable bedding of any hotel I have ever stayed in. They also have a really nice indoor and outdoor pool that makes it a great place to stay in summer or winter.

CarenM Saratoga Springs, UT

I use Hampton Inn whenever I can while traveling. I feel safe, at home, comfortable and welcome. They have super comfortable beds, the rooms are very clean and their breakfast is awesome. Hampton makes my travel wonderful.

Mhorne182 West Valley City, UT

Hampton is my favorite hotel to stay at. They are consistently good across the United States. They are always clean, the breakfast is always delicious, and service is always good. Price is usually competitive too. I always check Hampton first when traveling.

Violet Acosta Stewart ,

I just recently stayed here for a week on a business trip in Auburn Alabama. They had a good hot breakfasts and it was located close to the interstate. The rooms were fresh, clean, and nice the beds wonderful and the showers were hot. I will book with them in the future.

Wendy Liu Bethesda, MD

The room and bathroom are clean, the AC works nicely. The bed and pillows are comfortable. The TV is in good shape. Lighting is ample. Several large mirrors including a full length one. Coffee maker in the room with the usual fixings. Decent breakfast buffet included. Excellent vending area. Friendly staff. Good location - was quiet, I felt safe, and there is nearby access (walking distance) to public transportation, restaurants, bars, entertainment, and shopping.

Tori Miller Draper, UT

We stayed with a large group and they were very kind, helpful and easy to work with. We loved the swimming pool and the breakfast was perfect for all of us, everyone found something that they like. The rooms were very clean and well taken care of.

Brielle Spencer Pleasant Grove, UT

Love this hotel. It’s my go to hotel, always feel safe and enjoy the extras that they have.

Jordan Bell Orem, UT

Hampton Inn is a great company, I've never had any problems while staying in one of their hotels. They were very clean and well kept.

Jackie Gardner Riverton, UT

We stayed at Hampton Inn and had a nice stay there. The room was clean and the receptionist friendly.

Jeremy Balls Kaysville, UT

I have found Hampton Inn and Suites to be hit and miss on the quality of stay. Usually, the Hampton Inn and Suites are the best, if it is only a Hampton Inn, I've had a few negative experiences at those and they seem to be older. Beds are usually comfortable and breakfast it usually just ok.