Four Seasons hotels and resorts are known as one of the most luxurious hotels in the world, boasting a five-star hospitality rating. Isadore Sharp, a Canadian businessman is credited with founding the Four Seasons and the subsequent business model. Headquartered in Toronto, Canada, the Four Seasons was founded in 1961 and today there are 96 properties found worldwide. Four Seasons hotels and resorts have received numerous awards for offering luxurious services to their guests.
- Philanthropic efforts
As one of the top luxury hotels in the world, Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts work to provide their guests with the highest of quality services and experiences throughout their stay. Guests can enjoy a number of amenities not typically found in the standard hotel.
While amenities vary from location to location, most Four Seasons properties maintain a high level of luxurious services for their guests. These amenities are typically included in the rate of the room, but there are some additional fees for various services. Four Seasons hotels and resorts typically feature the following:
- Business Services: functions and other business endeavors can be held on-site
- Room service: guests can order a number of items or request services brought directly to the room
- Restaurants: eat at the hotel at various high quality restaurant and food providers
- Travel experiences: travelers can book tourist or other attractions through Four Seasons
- Spas: guests can enjoy massages and other spa treatments on location
- Pool and Fitness facilities: top of the line fitness centers complete with beautifully designed pools
- Pet friendly rooms: pets stay for free at the Four Seasons
An interesting side note is that the Four Seasons has one of the lowest employee turnover rates in the entire hospitality industry. This is reflected in other ratings scales and demonstrates the Four Seasons ability to treat their employees fairly.
In an attempt to expand business, the Four Seasons started a vacation rental business model known as Residential Rentals in the summer of 2014. Since this business venture is still growing, Residential Rentals are only available in North America, some countries in Africa, limited listings in Europe and one location in Asia.
The Four Seasons has also long been affiliated with philanthropic endeavors focusing on three main areas: sustainability, building up of communities, and advancing cancer research. As one of the founders of the Terry Fox Run, the Four Seasons has helped grow the event into the world's largest single day cancer fundraiser.
- Limited locations
Despite having been around for a number of years, the Four Seasons does not offer many locations. This is, in part, due to the standard Four Seasons requires of their locations and properties. There are only 96 operating hotels available to book. Other downsides of booking with Four Seasons include:
- Stringent cancellation policy
- High prices
- Additional costs for some services and accommodations
The Four Seasons does not own most of its properties, but instead operates them on behalf of real estate owners and developers. The contracts between the two groups allow the company to participate in the design of the property and then run the day-to-day operation. The Four Seasons typically earns around three percent of the gross income, but the profit margins are considered to be relatively low. This is one of the reasons that nightly rates at the Four Seasons are so expensive.
The Bottom Line
Guests who book a room or suite at a Four Seasons location can expect a high quality experience, but for a rather steep price. Typically, travelers who stay at Four Seasons can anticipate the following from their stay:
- Luxurious accommodations: large suites, up-scale pools, top-of-the-line fitness centers are all available on site
- Added services: guests can use room service or take advantage of other on-site amenities
- Positive staff: with glowing employee reviews, staffers typically treat guests in a more positive manner
- High prices: since it is a luxury hotel, costs for a stay will be on average more than standard hotels