Econo Lodge Logo

5.5

Hotel Type: Economy
Econo Lodge first started out in 1939 as marketing cooperative under the name Quality Courts United. It would eventually become Choice Hotels International, an international hotel brand under which the brand Econo Lodge resides. Over several decades, the chain revolutionized the hotel industry by being the first to streamline hotel services, making today’s standard amenities such as guaranteed and toll-free reservations, 24-hour desk service, hotel apps and non-smoking rooms. Today, with locations across the country, Econo Lodge provides a well-known brand people can trust as the hotel experience that makes traveling easy and affordable on a tighter budget.

The Good

• Benefits
Econo Lodge hotels promises to simplify the travel and lodging experience for economy guests, focusing on being the best in the economy segment. They offer:
  • a clean, comfortable room
  • a good night's rest
  • a well-known brand people can trust
  • easy to find hotels
  • easy to book reservations
  • easy on your wallet (inexpensive)
  • free Easy Starts continental breakfast every morning
  • locations across the country
  • free high speed internet
  • free premium movie channel, i.e. HBO
  • non-smoking hotel
There is a consensus among Econo Lodge customers that it is 'as promised' for an economy hotel. Most customers are very impressed with the hotel staff, some even referring to the hostesses or managers by their first name.

The Bad

• Limitations
  • Pets
Econo Lodge guests consistently report amenities as "no frills". It is not a hotel they recommend staying for a length of time-one or two days is fine. If guests smoke, they will probably not be thrilled to have to go outside to do so. The hotel inspects the rooms after checkout and guests can be billed for things like cigarette ashes in the room. Amenities such as free breakfast appear to have a few caveats, such as:
  • the "hot" breakfast is just juice, coffee and muffins
  • property doesn't really look like the pictures. The pictures look nicer.
  • Guests can be charged a $4.95 per night "resort fee"
  • sliding doors for the toilet/shower need actual handles so guests can close them all the way for some privacy
If customers are traveling with pets, chances are Econo Lodge won't take them. To find a specific Econo Lodge hotel that may accommodate pets, one has to search the Choice Hotel.com website under the category 'pet-friendly hotels.' Also to be noted is that promoted amenities are typical at most United States hotels but not guaranteed. Additionally, amenities will vary at International locations.

The Bottom Line

Overall, Econo Lodge is satisfactory for the no-frills basics of an overnight stay. Price savings are as promised. Smokers should know it's a pure non-smoking facility and will have to smoke outside. The free hot breakfast sounds better than advertised-in reality is very basic, with orange juice and muffins. Hotel locations are typically close to restaurants and other tourist attractions.

2.4

Don Amite, LA

The econolodge in Lakeland Tn. 9822Huff Puff road. Lakeland Tn. 38002. Is absolutely terrible. Started out wanted a queen non smoking. Went to room. 127. Opened door had cigarette ashes on floor room wasn’t clean at all. Went back asked for money back or another room BTW purchased 2 nights. Room 127 had double beds in it. Gave me room 145 well it had double beds in it. Wasn’t going back again. The room was not clean the furniture was all scratched up had food in microwave witch I wasn’t going to use anyway. The bed mattress was old and hard as a rock. I just do not recommended anyone to stay at this location. I even called and told tourists about it. Guess you get what you pay for.

Anonymous Horntown, VA

When I first got here they were nice. But when I got to room it smelled of dog pee immediately and I told them and they said it was my dog. I am a smoker and smoked a few feet from my room and they said there is a 250 dollar fee for smoking in the room so we have to stand 15 feet away from the room or we pay 250 dollars for smoking in the room. When we asked for the room to be cleaned for the first time they said that we aren't on the list and that they don't have time for it. This is after 4 out if the 7 days we are here they said they would clean twice a week I guess once for you and once you leave. I also got asked to help the owner work and carry some things in all they were a horrible hotel I would recommend sleeping on the street then here

McKinzie Figueroa Provo, UT

I've only stayed here overnight on our way to our final destination. It was a great place to just come and sleep then head out in the morning. There was not anything too memorable about the hotel-it wasn't super nice, but it wasn't terrible.

Kenzie Maitland, MO

Ecno Lodge in Goodland, KS was AWFUL!!!!! The toilet wouldn’t flush, the shower only could work for a bath, our air wouldn’t work!!! The TV wasn’t even close to an outlet, so that didn’t work, also the bathroom light wouldn’t turn on. DO NOT STAY HERE!!! After we told the guy at the front desk when we checked out, he didn’t even seem bothered and did not even say or do anything.. not even a sorry

KC Riverton, UT

These are usually cheaper hotels, so sometimes we will stay just to save money. That said, they haven't been my favorite. I'm sure it just depends which one you stay at. Some have probably been renovated or are newer, but the one we were at seemed old and pretty dirty.

Susan Thomerson Glasgow, KY

The bed sheets have not been changed me and my kids stayed up all night when asked to change the sheets the lady said they already do that they don’t do it again till time for check out The same lady as checking in said I do not know what’s going on but I can’t even eat my dinner She was very very lazy The room was very very nasty

Dwhoush Slidell, LA

Econolodges are very budget friendly. Some of the locations have been very nice and some have been absolutely terrible. I only stay there if I don’t have another option because I’m not sure how it’s going to be.

Jesse Rice Biloxi, MS

Wonderful pools. Great service. Can't wait to stay at an Econo Lodge again when we visit the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Nathan Layton, UT

We didn't pay that much to stay here, and for the money that we did pay it was a pretty nice place. I probably will stay here again.

Jane Catawba, NC

Econo lodge in pigeon forge, outdated and wore out. Sticky floors, dirty toilet, dirty shower, stains on the shower curtain , door doesn’t close right and the WiFi was awful

Erika Douglas Cedar Fort, UT

These hotels have helped our family travel, The price was in our range. And we could all be close together.

janice pan ,

We had to use this location in WA for a basketball tournament and it was by far our least favorite. Bare minimum room and just old.

Christyan Bennett New Orleans, LA

EconLodge is very affordable hotel that I would recommend to anyone looking for a budgeted stay.

Bruce Lindenhurst, NY

Dirty coffee maker, lousy shower head and low pressure,used bar of soap