Choice Hotels Logo

6.5

Choice Hotels International started in 1939 but was known as Quality Courts. The company, once incorporated, became known as Quality Courts United and accepted franchise hotels without strict norms or guidelines. Originally a referral chain, it ultimately transformed into one of the largest hotel chain franchising operations in the world. Today, Choice Hotels is a hospitality holding corporation headquartered in Maryland. There are thousands of hotels that fall under the Choice Hotels name and are typically economy or budget hotel listings.

The Good

• Brands
  • Rewards
  • Availability
There is not necessarily a "brand" associated with Choice Hotels. Unlike other hospitality corporations, Choice Hotels does not have its own signature hotel. Rather, they are the parent company that comprises a number of popular hotel brands. Choice hotels consists of twelve different brands. Each brand offers its own franchising rights so amenities and other services are not necessarily standard simply because a hotel is part of the Choice umbrella. Choice Hotels are found internationally and the number of properties and locations are disclosed on each of the brands company profiles. The twelve brands that make up Choice Hotels are:
  1. Ascend Hotel Collection
  9. Quality Inn/Hotel/Quality Inn and Suites
  10. Rodeway Inn
  11. Sleep Inn/Sleep Inn and Suites
  12. Suburban Extended Stay Hotel
One of the biggest draws to Choice Hotels is the fact that all are qualified to earn rewards through the Choice Privileges program. This rewards program is easy for guests to enroll in and after just two separate bookings, guests can earn a $50 gift card to Amazon.com, Applebee's, Olive Garden, Nike, Shell, Cracker Barrel, or Chili's. With each qualified stay, members will earn points that can be redeemed for free night stays, gift card rewards, and even dream getaways. There are over 6,300 hotels operating within the Choice Hotels system with locations that expand into a number of countries globally. In addition to having thousands of properties to choose from, guests who book their summer vacation in advance can save an additional 20% upon reservation. These reservations and discounted rates are associated with how many days in advance the hotel is booked (7, 14, 21, or 30 days in advance). Another feature supported by all Choice Hotels is their Best Internet Rate Guarantee. This guarantee means that if a guest were to find a lower internet rate, they can earn a free night stay at one of the Choice Hotel locations. To earn the free night stay, guests will need to book a room on CHoiceHotels.com, then find a lower published rate for the same hotel, same date, and same accommodations. From there, a guest will submit a claim form and wait to hear back from a Choice Hotels representative regarding their free night stay.

The Bad

• Policy limitations
  • Pet restrictions
If a guest books a hotel room in advance for a discounted rate, they are 100 percent stuck with that reservation. The cancellation policy does not apply. Additionally, the rate is non-changeable and non-refundable. A guest's credit card will be charged for the total reservation amount within 24-48 hours of booking the reservation. That means if guests are not entirely sure about their plans, they should probably avoid using the discounted option. Other limitations regarding Choice Hotels policies include:
  • Choice Privileges Expirations: all points will expire on December 31, two years after the year in which they were deposited to the guest's account unless forfeited or canceled earlier due to membership inactivity or other outlined reasons
  • Advanced cancellation: guests will need to cancel their reservations 48 hours prior to their check-in time
While Choice Hotels claims to be "pet friendly," guests should be aware that the policy actually varies depending on the location. Some hotels allow pets for free, others charge a service fee, and then there are those that prohibit pets from staying in their hotel rooms. Guests will need to contact the actual hotel they will be staying at to confirm the pet policy.

The Bottom Line

Choice Hotels provide guests with a number of options in an effort to suit any and all traveling needs. Those that decide to book a room with any of the Choice Hotel chains can expect the following from their stay:
  1. Best internet rate guarantee: guests do not need to worry about getting charged outrageous fees for high quality internet
  2. Thousands of locations: guests can choose from over 6,300 locations globally
  3. Discounts: those who book their stay in advance can save on their trip
  4. Cancellation policy: there are some restrictions associated with canceling that guests should be aware of
  5. Standard amenities: while it varies at each location, guests can typically enjoy the traditional amenities and services

4.0

TOG112 Fayetteville, AR

For several years I have generally used ChoiceHotels. I stay Comfort (Inns and Suites), Quality Inns, and Sleep Inns. I have figured out how to use their promotions for extra points to get a reasonable price. Generally, their hotels are well-maintained, and they provide an adequate breakfast. For a long time many of the Quality Inns were old and rundown. Many of these have been renovated and upgraded and often Quality Inns provide a good value. The Sleep Inns usually have small and well-designed rooms. I consult with TripAdvisor reviews to make certain that the hotels are of good quality. If they have a 3.5-4.0 rating in TripAdvisor the hotels are usually satisfactory for me. I have had many good experiences at ChoiceHotel properties. The worst were 2 Comfort Suites and a Quality Suites in New Zealand.

Linda Yuma, AZ

We have stayed at Choice hotels throughout the U.S.A. because they are reasonable in price , clean and most are pet friendly. During the last week, we stayed at Clarion Hotel in Aiken, S.C., Comfort Inn in Statesville, N.C. and will be staying a few months at a Choice Hotel in Michigan for husband's work. We have found the employees to be friendly and always willing to help if we need anything.

Cristina Anderson San Antonio, TX

I've stayed at several Choice Hotels in the past 2 years, mostly across the Mid- and Southwest and up to the NW US. I basically randomly chose the initial Choice Hotel because I was on the road and needed a hotel for one night, that accepted cats, was decent and not expensive. I don't even recall which one I stayed in or what city it was, but since that time, when I plan a trip and want to save money and need to bring the cats, I tend to explore the Choice Hotels en-route because my experiences have always been positive. The hotels are fairly basic, but I found them to be clean and comfortable. Staff was always nice, polite and accommodating. I figure I am not going for a luxury vacation - I just need a good, convenient, safe, clean place to spend the night. I don't need all the bells and whistles for this kind of trip - why waste money on those kinds of things if you just need a place to sleep? I definitely will be staying at Choice Hotels in the future.

Debbie Saint Joseph, MO

I have stayed twice at the econo lodge in Cameron Mo, and both times it was very nice. Nice and quiet the staff goes above and beyond to make your stay the best! I would recommend motel to anyone that is planning to stay in Cameron Mo.

Madhuri Nandwani

Even after booking a month in advance they gave us a smoking room .when complained the manager came with a rude attitude and asked us “I heard you have a problem” so we mentioned about the smoke smell in the room. As per there racist manager “ be ready for surprises when u book online” My booking clearly said No smoking room and when there are two kids involve even a dumbbest person knows which room to hold.My daughter has asthma so no way stay we could manage in that smoking room Spend the whole night in car as it was a long weekend and there was nothing available within 50 miles in both directions We were driving back from PEI so checked in around 9 pm Next day we had a booking in quebec Choice group of hotels did nothing but gave me a case id and its a week never heard from them Stay away from this location Also Thank You Choice group form ruining our last leg of the vacation Never had a complain with there Quality Inn branch

flojo Surprise, AZ

Once a year I travel across country and stay at a Choice hotel several times. I'm always very satisfied with the service and the quick breakfast they offer. The only improvement would be a few healthier choices in the breakfast category.

Poundesk Saratoga Springs, UT

I've been a Choice Hotels member for over 6 year's. There is almost always a hotel where I need one. The have a great rewards program that earns me several free nights a year. I love the fact I can book a room or cancel with no extra fees.

Ann Wilkins Riverton, UT

We've stayed at Comfort Inn (owned and run by Choice Hotels) during multiple family vacations, and they've been among our favorites because they have been clean and comfortable, they've offered varied and delicious breakfasts and well taken-care of pools that my kids look forward to visiting.

Craig Ivins, UT

If I could get by with a zero stars rating, I would. We reserved a room several months in advance since we knew we would be attending a son's graduation. Our flight was delayed and when we finally arrived, we called the hotel and they said that they had canceled our reservation. First, they said there was no reason why we were canceled, then they said that it was because we had done our reservation through a third party. When I called customer relations, they said that our third party were responsible for the cancellation. When I asked how that was possible, since they had no knowledge of our late arrival. There was no response. So, this is not a hotel chain that you want to utilize. They will NOT honor your reservation, nor try to help you out in finding a place to stay. Fortunately, there was another chain that would take us in that was an additional 30 miles away. Beware of this hotel chain.

Tamara De Forest, WI

Reservations made in November for a January stay for 7 nites . Many emails received to welcome us for our upcoming stay. On arrival we were told that someone from Choice Corp had canceled our reservations, and that they were 100 percent booked for that evening. Had to impose on a relative for a place to spend the nite Reservations made for the remaining 6 nites at that time. We were told to call Choice in which a recording told us they were closed and to call back when they opened in the morning. Not a good way to start a vacation. I have many unanswered questions. I would like some answers from the higher up as to why this happened. VERY VERY POOR WAY OF DOING BUSINESS!!!

Sara Smith Riverton, UT

We have stayed here as they provide a continental breakfast that our kids can always find something to start the day off with that is healthy and the rooms have been great as well.

Kenwyn Castleberry Tyler, TX

I have the best rest and relaxation at choice hotels everything is available for my comfort and peacefulness. The staff does a great job

Steve Asheville, NC

We had booked at a Clarion in Arlington, Va. Booking was on 2/27/19. After driving 7 hours on 5/14 we were told they had cancelled our reservation and rebooked us at the Days Inn about 2 miles away. 1) Why cancel my resv? If they overbooked they should cancel the last booking, not one of the earliest. And 2) moving us to a Days Inn was totally unacceptable. We drove by that place and it was disgusting. Needless to say it will be our last dealing with Clarion or Choice. I'm forced to give you 1 star, but trust me the correct answer is 0 stars!

richard martell Boca Raton, FL

Choice just forfeited all 13,000 of my points even though they claim that the points don't expire. I tried to explain that, due to having to move, a hurricane, and surgery, I could not travel during the requisite time period. They don't care. Hilton, Marriott, Best Western etc.did not treat me this way. Boycott Choice! I had been a member since 2009. Interesting way to treat a loyal customer!

mccandless24 Kaysville, UT

The room we had was good for the price. We weren't looking for the fanciest place to stay. We got a great deal and the room was updated and comfortable. The pool area was small but it wasn't that big of a deal.

Mickey Mangum Long Beach, MS

I am a Choice Privileges member and use Choice Hotels quite alot. They are normally cheaper than some of the other brands but I have always found them to be clean with a friendly staff. I would use them again for sure.

Dwhoush Theodore, AL

I always travel with Choice hotels for work! The hotels are clean. Their staff is generally nice. The rewards program they offer is why I stay.

Dawnne Woodie Anaconda, MT

I use them almost exclusively when I travel. They are consistently comfortable, clean and safe.

cb Thibodaux, LA

I make sure I choose Choice Hotels when I travel for my band functions. Clean hotels and friendly staff!

Theresa Bour Little Rock, AR

We are platinum members. We generally find the hotel to be clean. The staff is usually very friendly

Brenda Thomas Ferron, UT

My family and I always stay at choice hotels. They are always a great deal and a clean and friendly.

Eric Smith Riverton, UT

We love the room size options it provides for our family and our kids love their breakfast options that they have.

Tom Pleasant Grove, UT

Choice Hotels are good, if they are close to where you want to be. I like their rewards program and they are good value for your money.

Christyan Bennett New Orleans, LA

Choice Hotels is a great place to stay. They’re locations are very nice and I absolutely love them.

Julia Scoville Pleasant Grove, UT

Always been treated really great. Their rooms are almost always clean.

Dylan Findlay South Jordan, UT

Affordable and generally clean. Staff has always been friendly.