Hotels.com has been in business since 1999 and was acquired by Expedia.com in 2002. They are part of the Expedia.com group and act as a third-party booking site for discounted hotel reservations. Unlike some of their competitors, they focus on lodging rather than full vacation packages.

The Good

• Savings on room rates
  • Rewards program

Savings on Room Rates

Hotels.com has relationships with over 290,000 properties in 60 countries, so one can expect to find a room pretty much anywhere that they travel. It is important to remember that using third-party sites has both benefits and risks.

The benefit of using a site such as Hotels.com to book your travel is that you may save significantly on the room rate as well as the convenience of doing comparison shopping in one place rather than visiting and keeping track of the terms, prices, etc. for hotels in the area which you will be visiting.

The risks involved are in the realm of when using a third party site, changes and cancellations are potentially challenging due to the fact that when/if one needs to make a change or cancellation, the traveler may feel like a human ping pong ball being bounced between the hotel and the third party site - in this case - Hotels.com.

Rewards Program

Hotels.com has many positive benefits to using their service, such as:

• Rewards program (earn one free night after staying a total of ten nights)
  • Ability to research the area
  • Comparison between properties
  • Ability to book rooms over the phone or online
  • 24/7 customer service

The Bad

• Customer complaints

Customer Complaints

On the flip side, upon researching Hotels.com, there are a few issues which should be noted. There are many complaints from consumers listed about Hotels.com.

It is important to note that the motivation for people writing reviews is strongly skewed to those having had a negative experience. People do not usually write letters of a congratulatory nature for services which were rendered at or even above their expectation. There are a few common themes which are in many of the reviews - changes in charges, room not available, or quality of the room booked. Each of these is potentially troublesome and nothing that one would want to willingly volunteer for.

The Bottom Line

We give Hotels.com a mixed review. This company does a very high volume of business annually and their website is cutting edge in the ability to streamline searches and find what you are looking for. However, the hundreds of complaints against and about Hotels.com and their commonalities cause us to suggest caution at this time.

For those who know exactly what they are looking for and a absolutely certain that they will not have need to change or cancel their stay, the discounts offered by Hotels.com may be worth your time and efforts. We do suggest the practice of always verifying your reservation with the property however, which is a good practice regardless of the company - third party booking or not.

John Burnside
June 10th, 2019 Colorado Springs, CO DETAILS

I use this service when I'm not particular where I stay but just need a place to sleep that is cheap. Has worked well for me and have had no issues.

Gumersindo obregon jr
April 2nd, 2019 DETAILS

Easy to use, good site great deals overall i would recommend

Shawnda Damole
April 2nd, 2019 DETAILS

My experience with them has been very positive. For every trip I have taken, where I had to find my own hotel, I have always found a great deal.

Richard Boyce
April 2nd, 2019 DETAILS

Good Selection and good prices. good Customer service if I call to change a booking. Some hotels though need more accurate reviews

Don Burleson
April 2nd, 2019 DETAILS

Excellent. Always helps me find deals where ever i am. Earns free nigjts

Shari Evers
September 17th, 2018 Lehi, UT DETAILS

I feel like I am traveling constantly for my kids sports. Hotels.com is what I always use to book. They have great discounts and a loyalty program. I just earned a free night! Yay

Trent Allen
July 5th, 2018 Queen Creek, AZ DETAILS

Easy to navigate. We found deals on this site that we could not find on other sites. Everything went smooth at the resort. Will use again.

Trevor Woller
April 30th, 2018 Beaverton, OR DETAILS

They have the best mobile app in the industry. I also love their rewards program - it's very simple. Every 10 nights you book with them, you get a free night and it's very easy to redeem.

Mark Frogley
December 19th, 2017 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS

I used this site to book a hotel for my anniversary. I wanted a specific room that I couldn't find on their website so I called them up and the woman I spoke with was phenomenal! She went above and beyond do get me what I needed.

Cassidy Gundersen
December 6th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS

I enjoy the rewards I get booking with Hotels.com and almost always they have the cheapest options for hotels. My family loves traveling and we have earned many free nights using hotels.com. If you travel a lot- I would suggest using hotels.com.

Jenna LeStarge
June 8th, 2017

We always use Hotels.com to book hotels. I like collecting nights, their pricing is always great, and it is really helpful to see TripAdvisor's score when booking.

Denise H.
June 8th, 2017 Mona, UT

We were able to book an amazing hotel in Arizona through Hotels.com. The price was incredible and the hotel was definitely one of the best we have ever stayed at.

Kari Staheli
June 1st, 2017

I have used Hotels.com several times both here in the US and in England and France.. All of my reservations were for exactly what i was expecting. Usually my rooms are better than what I am expecting. But I do my homework and read the review on the hotels. I have also had to cancel my plans sometimes and had no problem with getting my refund. I feel confident using Hotels.com for my travel plans.