Hotels.com Logo

Hotels.com

8.4

Hotels.com has been in business since 1999 and was acquired by Expedia.com in 2002. They are part of the Expedia.com group and act as a third-party booking site for discounted hotel reservations. Unlike some of their competitors, they focus on lodging rather than full vacation packages.

The Good

• Savings on room rates
  • Rewards program

Savings on Room Rates

Hotels.com has relationships with over 290,000 properties in 60 countries, so one can expect to find a room pretty much anywhere that they travel. It is important to remember that using third-party sites has both benefits and risks. The benefit of using a site such as Hotels.com to book your travel is that you may save significantly on the room rate as well as the convenience of doing comparison shopping in one place rather than visiting and keeping track of the terms, prices, etc. for hotels in the area which you will be visiting. The risks involved are in the realm of when using a third party site, changes and cancellations are potentially challenging due to the fact that when/if one needs to make a change or cancellation, the traveler may feel like a human ping pong ball being bounced between the hotel and the third party site - in this case - Hotels.com.

Rewards Program

Hotels.com has many positive benefits to using their service, such as:
  • Rewards program (earn one free night after staying a total of ten nights)
  • Ability to research the area
  • Comparison between properties
  • Ability to book rooms over the phone or online
  • 24/7 customer service

The Bad

• Customer complaints

Customer Complaints

On the flip side, upon researching Hotels.com, there are a few issues which should be noted. There are many complaints from consumers listed about Hotels.com. It is important to note that the motivation for people writing reviews is strongly skewed to those having had a negative experience. People do not usually write letters of a congratulatory nature for services which were rendered at or even above their expectation. There are a few common themes which are in many of the reviews - changes in charges, room not available, or quality of the room booked. Each of these is potentially troublesome and nothing that one would want to willingly volunteer for.

The Bottom Line

We give Hotels.com a mixed review. This company does a very high volume of business annually and their website is cutting edge in the ability to streamline searches and find what you are looking for. However, the hundreds of complaints against and about Hotels.com and their commonalities cause us to suggest caution at this time. For those who know exactly what they are looking for and a absolutely certain that they will not have need to change or cancel their stay, the discounts offered by Hotels.com may be worth your time and efforts. We do suggest the practice of always verifying your reservation with the property however, which is a good practice regardless of the company - third party booking or not.

Mike Ika West Valley City, UT

I booked a hotel using hotels.com 02/02-02/05. Hotel rooms were cheaper using this website compared to others. I had no problems checking in or checking out. I found the website easy to use however I thought it was hokey to have to sign up on line to receive their “secret price.” Overall though my experience using this website to book my hotel was very easy.

Zabsanti Amite, LA

Hotels.com has been a reliable source for finding a good price hotel. Once before, a hotel claimed that there were no rooms left for a specific date. The website found a room that we later booked that was from the same hotel and for a better price for the same day.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Hotels.com has a superior insider look at hotel rates and availability. I have been extremely satisfied with the booking made on this site. No issues and their web platform is intuitive to use. Nothing but accolades for this service. Could not be easier or more fruitful.

Mark Frogley Phoenix, AZ

I used this site to book a hotel for my anniversary. I wanted a specific room that I couldn't find on their website so I called them up and the woman I spoke with was phenomenal! She went above and beyond do get me what I needed.

Cassidy Gundersen Orem, UT

I enjoy the rewards I get booking with Hotels.com and almost always they have the cheapest options for hotels. My family loves traveling and we have earned many free nights using hotels.com. If you travel a lot- I would suggest using hotels.com.

Kari Staheli

I have used Hotels.com several times both here in the US and in England and France.. All of my reservations were for exactly what i was expecting. Usually my rooms are better than what I am expecting. But I do my homework and read the review on the hotels. I have also had to cancel my plans sometimes and had no problem with getting my refund. I feel confident using Hotels.com for my travel plans.

Tiffany I Gaithersburg, MD

Booked my last three hotels with this site. I love that I gain rewards for each nights stay - along with earning points with the individual hotel company. Easy to use and great cancellation policy.

Shari Evers Lehi, UT

I feel like I am traveling constantly for my kids sports. Hotels.com is what I always use to book. They have great discounts and a loyalty program. I just earned a free night! Yay

Eric Gagnard Dallas, TX

Hotels really makes finding and booking that right hotel a million times easier. Lays out your options for you depending on all of your specifications

Sage Loveland Kihei, HI

I almost always use Hotels.com for all my bookings. They have very competitive prices and I love getting a night free now and then. Their app is very user friendly and I’ve never had any problems.

Kirstyn Indialantic, FL

Thought I had received the best price for my booking. When I arrived to the hotel I was charged and didn’t realize I had already paid on hotels.com. I was charged over $100 LESS by the hotel compared to the hotels.com price. I wrote Hotels.com and received less than caring responses. They did not compensate the difference and not offer a future discount for the discrepancy. Why bother booking with them if you can get a better price direct from the hotel? Use their service to find hotels and contact the hotel directly. Then you ensure you’re getting the absolute best deal and helping the hotel owner receive a better income rather than this useless site.

Trevor Woller Beaverton, OR

They have the best mobile app in the industry. I also love their rewards program - it's very simple. Every 10 nights you book with them, you get a free night and it's very easy to redeem.

Jo Rosario Anchorage, AK

I definitely love the points. It gives you lots of selections in the search engine with even great discounts!

Katlyn Hockman Houston, TX

They always provide you with the lowest prices and the best rooms available. Their website is so easy to use and never fails.

Jamie Neider Kaysville, UT

We recently planned a trip to Europe and used hotels.com to book our various stays. It was easy to navigate the site and had great prices.

John Burnside Colorado Springs, CO

I use this service when I'm not particular where I stay but just need a place to sleep that is cheap. Has worked well for me and have had no issues.

Shawnda Damole

My experience with them has been very positive. For every trip I have taken, where I had to find my own hotel, I have always found a great deal.

Trent Allen Queen Creek, AZ

Easy to navigate. We found deals on this site that we could not find on other sites. Everything went smooth at the resort. Will use again.

Denise H. Mona, UT

We were able to book an amazing hotel in Arizona through Hotels.com. The price was incredible and the hotel was definitely one of the best we have ever stayed at.

Jenna LeStarge

We always use Hotels.com to book hotels. I like collecting nights, their pricing is always great, and it is really helpful to see TripAdvisor's score when booking.

Theodore Niemann Boulder, CO

I booked through Hotels.com for my most recent skiing trip. I feel like I spent way more than I needed to and that I was cheated out of a fair price.

Natalia Correa MDTribe Tallahassee, FL

Hotels.com is awesome to get discounted prices for hotel rooms. They are super easy to use and work with!

Richard Boyce

Good Selection and good prices. good Customer service if I call to change a booking. Some hotels though need more accurate reviews

Hallieford Arlington, TX

Hotels is great for finding all the hotels in the area. The free night rewards add up too!

Gumersindo obregon jr

Easy to use, good site great deals overall i would recommend

Don Burleson

Excellent. Always helps me find deals where ever i am. Earns free nigjts