Airbnb Logo

Airbnb

8.0

LAST UPDATED: October 15th, 2021
Airbnb is the ultimate hotel booking platform for those looking to try something new and stay in unique hotel accommodations across the world. Based in San Francisco, California, Airbnb has helped over 60 million travelers stay in 34,00+0 cities (191+ countries) across the world. Since 2008, Airbnb has helped travelers stay in castles, villas, apartments, and other unique spaces.

The Good

• Accommodation booking
  • Unique experience
  • Booking options
  • Sorting tool
  • Reviews and ratings

Accommodation Booking

Traditional travel booking sites try to get users to book as many accommodations on their site as possible. In this attempt, several travel sites provide the exact same services without providing anything unique to the traveler. Fortunately, there are platforms like Airbnb that make up the difference. Rather than spreading efforts thin to obtain as many reservations as possible, Airbnb solely focuses on their accommodation booking service.

Unique Experience

Airbnb offers a unique experience to those looking to stray from the typical hotel perspective of traveling. A network of "hosts" must qualify to list their properties on Airbnb. These hosts can be found in the U.S. and internationally. The ability to stay in the middle of a big city or off in a small, rural town is something that makes Airbnb stand out from traditional booking bureaus.

Booking Options

With Airbnb, travelers can book for just a night, a week, or even a month depending on the listing and location. One of the benefits to using Airbnb is that travelers can experience a unique side to their travel destination not otherwise available in a hotel. For instance, travelers can book the following:
  • Apartments
  • Town homes
  • Condos
  • Homes
  • Villas
  • Castles
A prospective traveler who uses Airbnb and is traveling to a location that the site operates in will be able to sort based on price, listing type, and even number of travelers. Another beneficial aspect to using Airbnb is that larger groups, for instance, can book a home for one low nightly cost. When split between the traveling party, the Airbnb option becomes much more affordable and often times provides a more comfortable living situation.

Sorting Tool

Since Airbnb has millions of properties for travelers to choose from, finding the right accommodation can take some time. To minimize the research process, Airbnb instituted a sorting tool. This feature allows users to filter based on the following criteria:
  1. Pricing (range or low to high, high to low)
  2. Guest star rating - based on what real customers have experienced
  3. Amenities - what is included in the property
  4. Proximity - distance to landmarks or airports
  5. Type - accommodation type whether it is condo, apartment, house, etc.
The listings on Airbnb cannot be found with any other travel agency. The accommodations they have for travelers are specific to their network which means they open up a whole new world to booking living quarters.

Reviews and Ratings

Another feature that benefits its travelers are the reviews and ratings. The rating system is also a helpful took to prospective travelers and even for Airbnb hosts. At the end of each stay, the host will rate the guests (based on how their property was treated) and the guests will rate the listing/host. These ratings help those who are looking to book using Airbnb and keeps guests from booking who find it difficult to treat the properties with respect.

The Bad

• Restrictions
  • Accommodations booking only

Restrictions

While Airbnb is a worldwide platform, not all destinations are available for lodging. Various laws and other restrictions keep Airbnb from being able to work in specific markets. There are also some limitations as to where a traveler can visit and stay. While they do operate in nearly 200 countries, there are some cities that do not allow Airbnb listings. So, if a traveler is set on one of those cities, they will need to book a traditional hotel.

Accommodations Booking Only

While Airbnb does provide an entirely original traveling experience, it only takes care of one aspect of the booking process. Most traveling agencies allow their travelers to book a number of their accommodations through their bureau, but Airbnb focuses solely on where the traveler will stay throughout their trip. That means the following cannot be booked using Airbnb:
  • Flights
  • Travel Activities
  • Cruises

Since some of the listings are rather lavish, the prices may seem to be more expensive than if a traveler were to simply book a hotel. There are deals and discounts available through Airbnb and prices per night will fluctuate depending on season, length of stay, and size of the traveling party.

The Bottom Line

The Airbnb service is not necessarily for the person looking for the typical hotel room reservation. Instead, it is more for the adventurous type or those looking to try something new. Travelers interested in staying in places that would not be available to them otherwise would most likely enjoy using the Airbnb service. However, those looking for a more comprehensive way to book their travel may want to use another resource. Travelers who book their accommodations through Airbnb can expect the following:
  1. Unique travel accommodations - stay in properties that would not otherwise be available
  2. Cut costs on large groups - split the costs per night to save money
  3. See the world - Airbnb has listings both in the U.S. and internationally
  4. Extra booking efforts required - travelers will need to book their flights and other travel necessities elsewhere
  5. Sorting tool - quickly filter through hundreds or even thousands of lodging options

Jim A Chicago, IL

Don’t use AirBnb! They put their greed for profit ahead of guest safety. I rented a condo in Houston that had german Cockroaches in the wall. The host knew this and never disclosed this. The host accepted my reservation on 8/23 then had the place treated on 8/26, with future treatments needed. My arrival was on 9/5 and on the 3 morning I seen Cockroach coming out of the sink. Then I notice smaller cockroaches in the shower which blended into the dark shower tile. Plus I noticed smaller cockroaches coming out of the cracks in the floor trim. By no means was this place safe to rent out or live in. The host knew all of this as she texted me on 9/8 a screen shot of the service the exterminator did on her condo. Which also indicated future treatment in 2 weeks based on scheduling availability. The Cockroach Condo host had no problem NOT disclosing any of this to the Guest, me. Airbnb, customer support was the worst I have ever dealt with. The constantly have me orbital dialog and would not give me honest answers. I requested multiple times to have my case escalated up to higher management, but then again they played games with me and would never let me work with upper management. The customer support reps I dealt would could not speak clear english and talked in a foreign tone. Their understanding of meaning of words didn’t make sense at all. They made mistakes and charged my credit card higher amounts to confuse the situation. I requested a full refund as the place was not SAFE to live in from the first day. Not to mention all my personal property was exposed to German COCKROACHES to spread Cockroaches to any new place I travel to. I spend days treating my personal property to kill any cockroaches that crawled into my clothes, boxes, and personal items. I put up a review on the Cockroach Condo and called out the host for knowing she had cockroaches and was a dishonest person for not disclosing this. AirBnB, took down my review and would not let me post a new one. AirBnB put this host ahead of guest safety as they believe their GREED for profit is more important. I went round and round with a customer service rep, but they claim its the RULES of AirBnB to not let me post a new review. So people, the REVIEW are not honest and you can’t trust them as AirBnB take down the negative reviews. I requested a breakdown what I was charged, but again I got orbital dialog and never received breakdown of what I was charged. I should have gotten a FULL REFUND, but AirBnB is greedy and sided with the COCKROACH CONDO host. How sick is this??? Walnut Bend Ln, Houston, TX 77042 I book another place in Rockport, which had cockroaches too. I never enter that place again either. AirBnB has Host that know they have cockroaches. Who want to rent a place that has cockroaches in it? NOBODY, let alone the HOSTS being dishonest. Worst experience I have ever had. This company is a 0 out of 5 rating review

Kaysha Love Las Vegas, NV

Airbnb is a great option for stay during your trips. I like the idea of being able to book a "hotel" that is more like home instead of a hotel. Airbnbs allow you to enjoy your trips while still feeling like youre at home because of the luxury of being able to book a stay in a home, cabin, hotel, condo, etc. Airbnb also does a great job of protecting their hosts and their customers.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

I have used Airbnb several times now and have had nothing but positive experiences. It has become the norm for family travel. All of the renters have easy terms, make the property easy to use, and have helpful guides that answer basic questions about property and surrounding businesses. Each stay has been met with high quality service, fair pricing and high end appeal. Will continue to use Airbnb!

Isabelle Hong Pleasant Grove, UT

My family used Airbnb on our trip around Europe. There was a quality Airbnb in every place we visited except a tiny town in France. Airbnb was very useful for my family of five because there weren't many hotels that could accommodate all of us, but there were many Airbnbs available that could do just that. Staying in an Airbnb made us feel at home.

McKinzie Figueroa Provo, UT

Airbnb was great. It is a good way to find they type of place that you are wanting to stay at. We have used it when we go on vacations and want to stay in more of a house than a hotel with our dog. We are able to find places that fit what our lifestyle needs. If you are needing something you often have to contact the owner of the place where you are staying. Everyone that we have had to contact has been great and responded quickly. Almost every time that we have stayed we have found places that are cheaper than what a hotel would be and is closer to what we are needing for our vacation.

Kari Staheli

AirBNB is a great alternative to hotels. When I planned my trip to Paris last year we used AIRBNB. The hosts replied quickly and the translation service they offer works well. I felt comfortable making reservations through AIRBNB because of the reviews from other people. This is a great way to save money and meet people from other countires and areas.

Charlie56 ,

I am used to checking out as many booking options as possible but as well, always end up on airbnb. Totally recommend! Here one can find the most available options.

Mia miga7440 Denver, CO

Airbnb helped me find the perfect place to stay for my weekend getaway. The app is very user friendly and trustworthy. I strongly suggest using this app to find your next vacation stay.

Molly Keogh Ogden, UT

The is a great way to book homes. We have a large family (9) and it is not always feasible/cost effective to stay in hotels. This has made it so we are able to find locations for our family to stay.

Denise H. Mona, UT

My experience with Airbnb is just okay, not great. You never really know what you're getting, and it can be a little awkward to stay in someone else's home. My daughter had a bad experience with booking an airbnb out of state; when she got there, the person wasn't home and wouldn't respond to phone calls, texts, etc. They ended up having to find a hotel.

Breanna Jones Herriman, UT

I really like using Airbnb for my stay on vacation. Website is very easy to use and I have never had a bad experience at someone's home. Everyone responds is a timely manner. When I am looking to a cheaper alternative to a hotel this is where I go. I would say majority of the time Airbnb is cheaper than a hotel.

Gary H.

I've used this service a couple of times, I don't feel comfortable staying in other people's home. When we stayed at one facility in Vegas, it was more of a resort/condo room and hadn't been accessed for a few weeks so it was dusty/dirty when we got there. The folks in charge were helpful and prompt in getting someone in there to correct the problem. The service has real possibilities.

Taylee Warner Nampa, ID

I love using Airbnbs to book hotels. I lived out of the country for 4 months, and I would only use Airbnb because I trust them!! Always had such good results.

Lindsey American Fork, UT

I and my family have booked hotels on Airbnb. They have super cute options. There are so many options of places to stay in any city you'd want to be in. I also love the reviews that they have on each property.

Katlyn Hockman Houston, TX

When on long vacations I enjoy using Airbnb because they always make me feel safe and the hosts are always helpful and understanding.

Jennifer Donnelly Tallahassee, FL

Overtime I have a girls trip to Miami we use airbnb. It is cheaper than a hotel and we got to stay in a luxurious apartment in Brickell for cheap.

Hallieford Arlington, TX

I rent my home on Airbnb and stay in other Airbnb listings. It is always convenient and a better bang for my buck then traditional hotels.

Shari Evers Lehi, UT

Airbnb is still new to me, but when I remember to look I always love what I find. We found a great beach house via the app. It makes it easy to compare places and prices!

Hyrum Sandy, UT

Super easy to use. It was easy to communicate with the host and they were responsive. The property itself was just as good as advertised.

Jenna LeStarge

We used Airbnb when we relocated for my husband's job. It was great! Pricing was very reasonable compared to corporate rentals and hotels. My only complaint is that actual availability did not match what we saw on the app.

Tori smith Mesa, AZ

Airbnb is always so quick to update their availability and always provides lots of details about each housing

Patrick Orem, UT

It was a great experience. It is cheap and efficient way to find a hotel. Airbnb has a great value.

Bianca Seattle, WA

This company offered me affordable variants so many times when i was planning my trip. Bug thanks!

JD Dunklee Hattiesburg, MS

Using Air B&B is a cool service. It’s often cheaper than booking a hotel, and I have always had wonderful guests!

Nathan Layton, UT

I love using Airbnb. It makes looking for places to stay so much easier. I will always be using this app when I travel.

Damien Rid Sikeston, MO

Good website, easy to navigate. Found the hotel I wanted, great service!