First American Home Warranty

7.8

First American Home Warranty has been an industry leader for over 35 years and has a reputation of providing quality home warranty plans with extensive coverage for homeowners across the nation. The home warranty provider has serviced millions of claims, saving homeowners more than $180 million in covered repairs and replacements.

The company has a large network of prescreened technicians so you don't have to worry about doing your own research and independently finding your own technician. Warranty coverage lasts for one year and monthly payment options are available as well. First American Home Warranty ranked in our list of Top 10 Best Home Warranty Companies of 2019.

The Good

• Decades of Experience and Company Stability
  • Comprehensive Plans
  • Coverage Limits
  • 24/7 Claims Service
  • Online Homeowner Center

Decades of Experience and Company Stability

First American has been providing home warranties since 1984. The home warranty service provider offers coverage to 38 states plus the District of Columbia. Over 35 years of home warranty experience is a good indication of the company’s stability and willingness to provide quality service. Choosing a home warranty company with so much experience could be an additional benefit for homeowners.

Comprehensive Plans

First American Home Warranty currently offers two coverage plans and a variety of additional options for warranty coverage. The monthly cost for a First American Home Warranty plan starts at $28 per month and lasts for one year. The service fee varies by location, but you will typically pay $75 whenever you schedule a repair or replacement with a First American Home Warranty technician. Warranty plan holders can upgrade or expand their warranty plan within the first 30 days of coverage to add on additional systems or appliances.

First American also offers a 30-day review period for new warranty contract holders. Customizable plans are made for homeowners, real estate professionals, as well as network service providers. First American Home Warranty's website allows anyone to receive a sample contract and specific residential warranty pricing within minutes.

First American Home Warranty does not have an age limit on systems and appliances, so you don't have to worry about the company refusing coverage based on this. Warranty coverage for major appliances and systems is as follows (pricing and coverage for protection plans may vary by location):

The Basic Plan: $28 per Month or $336 per Year

• Garage door opener
  • Ductwork
  • Central vacuum system

Optional Coverage

For a fee, you can add additional coverage items to your service contract:

• Central air conditioning (electric) — $9 per month
  • Additional refrigeration — $4 per month
  • Pool/spa equipment — $15 per month
  • Well pump — $7 per month
  • First class upgrade — $9 per month

Coverage Limits

Unlike some home warranty providers, most of First American’s covered items do not carry a specific dollar limit. First American plans do not require a home inspection to be done by a contractor or maintenance records to be retrieved from a repair person for coverage. The service provider also offers extra protection for malfunctions due to lack of maintenance, regular wear and tear, rust, corrosion, and sedimentary build-up. There are no age limits on covered items, and no limit to the number of claims a customer can file.

24/7 Claims Service

No matter the time of day, customers can open a claim. First American offers a 24/7 service request hotline where you can make service calls at any time as well as a user-friendly online customer portal. First American has a nationwide network of workers and prescreens every service contractor and requires them to complete a probationary period to ensure customer satisfaction standards are met through customer survey results.

Online Homeowner Center

First American offers an easy-to-use online homeowner center for all of its customers. From this portal, a customer can open and track their claims, view their contract details, renew their home warranty, and manage communication preferences.

The Bad

• Nationwide Service Unavailable
  • First American Home Warranty Reviews
  • Extra Cost for Air Conditioning Coverage

Nationwide Service Unavailable

First American provides coverage in 38 states and the District of Columbia. There is a tool on its website that allows for a zip code lookup to determine if First American provides coverage for customers in a particular state. Unfortunately, if you are out of First American’s coverage area, you are unable to receive its services.

First American Home Warranty Reviews

First American Home Warranty has some negative reviews highlighting bad customer service, delayed and lengthy response and service time, and hidden fees on appliances. We suggest reading through First American Home Warranty reviews before making a final purchasing decision.

Extra Cost for Air Conditioning Coverage

Many home warranty providers offer air conditioning as part of their premier plan or combo plan, but First American Home Warranty only offers an AC unit as additional coverage with an extra fee you add to your chosen plan. This may be a problem for customers looking to have air conditioning as part of their prearranged plan. However, because the AC unit isn't covered in First American Home Warranty's two main plans, this is what makes the company's warranty cost cheaper than most.

The Bottom Line

With 35+ years of experience and a large network of service providers (each contractor is reviewed and put through a probation period to ensure customer satisfaction), First American Home Warranty has comprehensive protection with high coverage limits for major appliances and systems. With a competitive cost and service call fee and multiple plan options, First American Home Warranty gives you more value for your money and covers customers with flexible payment options for various budgets.

The company offers a basic plan for customers that are looking for more standard coverage, as well as a premier plan for homeowners wanting more robust coverage. Additional add-on items are also available for coverage so consumers can pick and choose other major systems and appliances they want covered. Note that First American Home Warranty only covers the wear and tear of major appliances and systems. Like most home warranty companies, First American does not cover pre-existing conditions.

When compared to other home warranty companies, First American Home Warranty has a competitive monthly cost and service fee. Some warranty providers charge upwards of $600 per year with a $100 service fee.

First American Home Warranty created its home warranty programs with not just homeowners in mind but network service providers and real estate professionals as well. Typically, for whichever home warranty plan you select, the service contract will last for one year.

If you want to learn about what customers think of the company, such as response time, customer service, and quality of repair, check out First American Home Warranty reviews below.

3.9

Simon Seattle, WA

Whenever I did speak with someone, they were able to help me right away, or at least gave me the assurance that they were "working on it." I've had to call them back several times to get updates. Often would get a different person telling me different things. We never received confirmation emails or phone calls on the status of anything, not sure if this is a technical glitch, so make sure they can and will email you receipts and status updates. I'd log into my account and would sometimes find updates on information but there is no history in what happened, so I highly recommend you keep your own records of things!

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Simon. Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear that assistance was provided to your satisfactions.

Melanie Dickman El Dorado Hills, CA

I have been with First Am for over 25 years. I refer my clients to them. The rep I had in Los Gatos was fabulous and I have found Stephanie J. to be equally as great as Irs L. was. Very responsive and makes sure the problems get resolved.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you for your feedback Melanie!

LUCILLE PICCININNI Charlotte, NC

They fix the problem with no trouble. Don't like they (service man) has to call and get ok from company which could take a day or two and the item you called about has to wait that extra time.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you for your feedback Lucille.

Jun. 8th, 2021

Marcus Edwards San Angelo, TX

I have had FAHW in the past and recently reconnected with them once we purchased or forever home and a rental. They have been super professional and help me with getting the right coverage needed to keep my houses protected. Great company and they make things hassle free

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you Marcus for your feedback, we appreciate it.

Stacy Gilbert, AZ

We've had their services for over 27 years and have been very satisfied with all of our situations. At times some things are a little confusing about what's covered and what's not that's the staff does very well at explaining. I plan to keep them as long as we own our home

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Stacy. Thank you for being one of our long standing customers. We are truly happy to hear that our company services all your needs to your satisfaction.

Constance Corpus Christi, TX

Customer service is always emphatic and the technicians sent seem to know what they are doing. I don't always like the extra charges but I've had no recurring problems.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you for your feedback Constance,

Ken Lewis Little River, SC

Fast and easy to work with. The service man First American sent to my house to repair my garage door got the door working fast and didn't waste time. Very nice to talk to and explained everything he was doing..

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Ken. We are very pleased to hear the the work performed was quick and hopefully met your expectations.

John Brandon, MS

Because of First America's flexibility of assigning me the preferred FAHW contractor in my area, as opposed to being simply assigned a random contractor (others of which I have not been satisfied with in the past). This is the reason I stayed with FAHM.

William H. Burton, Jr. Barstow, CA

It is only because they have been really good to me as their customer. Each and every time that I may have experienced any problems or issues; they were always opened to be of an excellent help and assistance to our household. That’s why I can honestly say that I would keep them as well as recommend them but most definitely.. I really would keep them with every and I mean all properties that we’ll buy or purchase!

Mark Harrison Dickinson, TX

Never had a problem very professional I've always got the work that I need it in a timely matter I've been with them 14 years and I've never once had a bad representative come out and do shoddy work I'm just very pleased my reasoning prepare the warranty is I don't really miss the $65 a month but if something breaks and I have to come up with five or six hundred or a thousand or even more if I didn't have the warranty that would probably be an issue

Peggy Colton Los Angeles, CA

Because they have a great service and they make sure you are completely satisfied and also they do your service in a timely orderly

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Peggy. Thank you for your feedback.

Connie Johnson Columbia, SC

Because I use the Company for my self and I know the quality of their work. I know if I put a claim in they are not going to Cancel me.

Thanks for your feedback Connie

Debbie Brilling Atlanta, GA

Top notch service. Quick to respond when filing a claim and following up to make sure the work is done. They always send out professional workers to fix the problem.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you Debbie for your kind words and for choosing First American as your home warranty provider.

Kyle Pryor Maumelle, AR

We have called on First American Home Warranty several times over the past 4+ years. The customer service team is always quick to address our issues and the technicians that are assigned have done a good job in completing the necessary work.

Mar. 18th, 2021

Barry Sidell Oceanside, CA

I have used First American Warranty a couple of times over the years for what I would call minor repairs. Each time my calls were answered quickly, repair companies set dates to do the work promptly. I would recommend First American based on the three experiences I have had.

Mar. 2nd, 2021

Marian Long Galveston, TX

I had a claim on my electric stove. I called the office since it was my 1st claim, they actually took my information and gave me the information on the vendor who was assigned to come to my unit. I received updates on everything that was happening. The vendor was actually able to repair the stove. The vendor was professional, friendly and knew exactly what he needed to do to make the repairs and had parts on his truck. Great experience and service with both the First American Home Warranty and the vendor they used for our repairs.

Feb. 2nd, 2021

Paul Bisel

Our washing machine tore up about a year after we got our warranty. I called First American and they sent a service tech out. He checked it out and checked on parts. Because of the age of the washer parts were no longer available. They replaced it with a new version of the one we had. It only cost us $75.00 just as we were told when we bought the warranty.

Nov. 10th, 2020

Matt Oatman Corpus Christi, TX

Fast and convenient! Easy to report a problem, quick response, and always great communication during the process.

Thank you Matt!

Jun. 8th, 2021

Kerry Freeman Columbia, SC

I am pleased with the service and I am pleased with the quality of work I get on repairs to my home.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

We are happy to hear that you are pleased with our service. Thanks Kerry!

William Arnold Melbourne, FL

Customer service is number one with them. Always available to help you out with any problem you have.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thanks for your feedback William.

Shonda Hansen Antioch, CA

The service has been helpful to have. Its comforting to have extra protection. I wish their plumbing service covered a bit more.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Shonda, thank you for your feedback.

Russell Bryant, AR

Customer service was very professional and the contractor they were very professional, great experience from start to finish

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Russell. We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that you were satisfied with the overall experience,

Perry Hall Amarillo, TX

Great Company, met all my expectations and took care of my claim need immediately without any hassle. This is an excellent company to do business with.

DealStar South Jordan, UT

In the past, I worked as a real estate salesperson and felt secure in recommending First American Home Warranty to ALL my clients. In order to protect buyers, First American Home Warranty was written into each real estate contract executed. For peace of mind, I highly recommend First American Home Warranty.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you DealStar for your review!

May. 26th, 2021

Bill Copperas Cove, TX

Never had them question or deny a claim, fast surface and when I had a washing machine being replaced with a model not compatible with the broken machine there was no problem, they made it right

Mar. 2nd, 2021

Weatherston Yuma, AZ

Good coverage, good CS reps who take time to explain the program. Good website that allowed appointment set up and confirmation and we appreciated the selection of quality repairmen when we had a problem.

Elizabeth Sanders Las Vegas, NV

My last few encounters and interactions with them have been very positive, professional, transparent, and successful. They have been willing to work with me to address my repair needs in a manner satisfactory to both of us.

Feb. 5th, 2021

Michael Hamilton Oklahoma City, OK

I've had several home warranty companies and most of them just try and get out of it when the actual bill comes so first American was the first one that actually didn't try and wriggle out of the responsibility of their own contract.

Feb. 2nd, 2021

C Burtt

Awesome Warranty Service. Every time I call there are positive results. I do think that the Pool Salt cell and Cercuit board need to ne higer. FA only paid 1500 and total cost was 2100 .. so out of pocket 600 and the work was poor and still not working... Will visit issue next year when pool is open.

Dec. 9th, 2020

Jeff Anderson

We have always had great customer service from the First American representatives. We have never had an issue processing a work order and they have professional contractors/technicians that support and if they do not have support I have never had an issue with First American agreeing to use one of my contractors.

Dec. 3rd, 2020

Arlene Ahern Iona, ID

Professional service. Head to wait for the part (Covid) but the product manager kept me posted.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you Arlene. Glad to hear the issue was finally resolve.

Roger Herauf Tulsa, OK

Excellent responce to any issues. The company has a good reputation with the sevice providers

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you for your feedback Roger.

Joni Tinsley Chandler, AZ

I have had a few repairs, and it was very easy, they took care of everything, and resolved quickly

Hi Joni. Thank you for your feedback

Sandy Gardner Pickens, SC

We are very pleased with the service and we know that when we call that we will be taken care of

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Sandy. We are so happy to hear that you are satisfied with our service.

Jun. 4th, 2021

They've been excellent. I've had them with my house now for almost thirty years. They're there to help and get solutions to whatever is going on. There have been several times that they've actually thought about the response I was given from a vendor and it wasn't right and they questioned it and go second opinions to make sure they were right. They do their research. They don't assume that their vendor is always right. I had a plumbing leak and they took care of it. It was incredible. I had some complications from the vendor and issues and modification charges. They did all the research necessary to get it resolved properly and now the job is done. I'm very happy. First American makes sure you're satisfied when you're done. I've had a couple managers involved because there were things that didn't make sense and the actual sales person couldn't match it so they connected me to a manager that could answer my question and give me good, sufficient answers.

Kelsey

When we bought our dream home and the deal was ''' as is'', we planned on needing to make some repairs and find a few surprises so we asked for First American Home Warranty coverage with our contract. Wow, did we underestimate the things that would go wrong with this little place. In the first three years, nearly every major appliance has gone out as well as fans, plumbing, both toilets, and I can''t even remember what else. First American has not refused us? Dropped up, questioned us or anything, they have helped us quickly and politely with every single claim. We would have been lost and financially ruined if we had not had this policy.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Kelsey. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to servicing you again in the future.

Aug. 6th, 2019

Maryjane Statesville, NC

When my A/C broke down with First American, they fixed it right away and everything and it's running great. There was one little problem though. When the guy replaced the parts up in the attic, they didn't replace the board. I'm happy with the company, it was the vendor's fault. They sent an email and said it needed to get replaced and First American acted right away and put the part on order. I get great service. They're very professional and they come out right away and service and take care of things. It works really fast. I wouldn't change the company. I had another company and when I saw your company and found out what they cover, I was ecstatic and I've been happy every since. They react really fast.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Maryjane. We apologize for the inconvenience you encountered during your claim and appreciate your understanding.

Jun. 17th, 2019

Floyd Memphis, TN

I really like the experience of working with them and not having to deal with the companies that you get your appliances from. This particular time they gave a time in which the company could come and service that item and I had problems with that time and I worked with First American Warranty and let them know and within forty eight hours they called and got me within forty hours of the call. I had problems with my dryer and I thought they would be able to repair it and go from there. The technician came out and serviced the dryer and told me what was wrong with it and then left. After I tried to use the dryer after he left, it wouldn't work. And I called them back and I got aggravated with the time it took for them to come out and reservice it. And it ended up costing me another $75 and I didn't know I was going to have to pay for that because it wasn't part of the actual dryer. First American was great, it was the company that came out of my house that I wasn't excited about.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you, Floyd for the feedback. We are sorry to hear that the assigned contractor did not meet your expectations.

Jun. 17th, 2019

Corinne M St Louis, MO

Having an older house makes having a home warranty a must. I don't know how we would have paid for some of the repairs that we've needed over the years if they hadn't been covered. We have peace of mind knowing that we are protected from catastrophic damage and repairs. Well worth the investment. Occasionally we have to call more than once to get a technician scheduled, but that is really a problem with individual companies and not the fault of First American. Customer service has been wonderful. I don't think we could live in our house without them. We were not solicited for our business. I researched the best coverage and called them. No phone calls or emails asking us to increase coverage or buy other products. We truly could not be happier.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Corinne. Thank you for your review!

Jun. 4th, 2019

Tracy Magliato Shawnee Mission, KS

Very happy with technicians and service. Communicated tech in route and when I could expect arrival.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Tracy. We are very happy to hear that we have met your expectations.

Miriam Franklin Trussville, AL

They’ve been great so far. We haven’t had a lot of issues but they’ve handled the ones we’ve had in excellent fashion.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Miriam. Thank you for your feedback. Have a great day.

Michael Musick Twentynine Palms, CA

It’s a great company and they fix any issues fast and they keep in touch with all updates with your issues

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Michael. Thank you for your feedback. Have a great day.

Ramiro Murillo San Diego, CA

Because every time I need them they’re always there really fast, I don’t have to wait days for them to take care of my problem

Apr. 23rd, 2021

Marcella Austria Grants Pass, OR

They sought to remedy our problem with a repair person who found the problem and resolved it, like they say the 3rd times the charm.

Christopher Green Little Rock, AR

Great job and nice service. Although the parts came in two days after initial visit but the repair didn’t happen until 3 weeks later.

Debi Foli Pauma Valley, CA

The service was the most professionally provided service I have had with FAHW. TY I am increasing in my opinion of this warranty.

Mary Byram, MS

Has been very dependable but with the Refrigerator it took so much longer.He wanted to order the filter from a place he liked!

Elizabeth Garrett Chattanooga, TN

They are nice and very professional. They answered all my questions.and I did have to wait a long time to get help with the issue that I was having..

Tripp Watsonville, CA

They respond quickly to my needs. They send my the name and phone number of the company that will help me. They follow up to be sure the problem has been fixed.

Mar. 18th, 2021

Sandy Fortin Los Gatos, CA

It's gives me peace of mind knowing that I have coverage for handling various home repairs as they arise, so I don't need to seek out specialists on my own.

Feb. 5th, 2021