First American Home Warranty

8.1

First American Home Warranty has been an industry leader for over 35 years and has a reputation of providing quality home warranty plans with extensive coverage for homeowners across the nation. The home warranty provider has serviced millions of claims, saving homeowners more than $180 million in covered repairs and replacements.

The company has a large network of prescreened technicians so you don't have to worry about doing your own research and independently finding your own technician. Warranty coverage lasts for one year and monthly payment options are available as well. First American Home Warranty ranked in our list of Top 10 Best Home Warranty Companies of 2019.

The Good

• Decades of Experience and Company Stability
  • Comprehensive Plans
  • Coverage Limits
  • 24/7 Claims Service
  • Online Homeowner Center

Decades of Experience and Company Stability

First American has been providing home warranties since 1984. The home warranty service provider offers coverage to 38 states plus the District of Columbia. Over 35 years of home warranty experience is a good indication of the company’s stability and willingness to provide quality service. Choosing a home warranty company with so much experience could be an additional benefit for homeowners.

Comprehensive Plans

First American Home Warranty currently offers two coverage plans and a variety of additional options for warranty coverage. The monthly cost for a First American Home Warranty plan starts at $28 per month and lasts for one year. The service fee varies by location, but you will typically pay $75 whenever you schedule a repair or replacement with a First American Home Warranty technician. Warranty plan holders can upgrade or expand their warranty plan within the first 30 days of coverage to add on additional systems or appliances.

First American also offers a 30-day review period for new warranty contract holders. Customizable plans are made for homeowners, real estate professionals, as well as network service providers. First American Home Warranty's website allows anyone to receive a sample contract and specific residential warranty pricing within minutes.

First American Home Warranty does not have an age limit on systems and appliances, so you don't have to worry about the company refusing coverage based on this. Warranty coverage for major appliances and systems is as follows (pricing and coverage for protection plans may vary by location):

The Basic Plan: $28 per Month or $336 per Year

• Garage door opener
  • Ductwork
  • Central vacuum system

Optional Coverage

For a fee, you can add additional coverage items to your service contract:

• Central air conditioning (electric) — $9 per month
  • Additional refrigeration — $4 per month
  • Pool/spa equipment — $15 per month
  • Well pump — $7 per month
  • First class upgrade — $9 per month

Coverage Limits

Unlike some home warranty providers, most of First American’s covered items do not carry a specific dollar limit. First American plans do not require a home inspection to be done by a contractor or maintenance records to be retrieved from a repair person for coverage. The service provider also offers extra protection for malfunctions due to lack of maintenance, regular wear and tear, rust, corrosion, and sedimentary build-up. There are no age limits on covered items, and no limit to the number of claims a customer can file.

24/7 Claims Service

No matter the time of day, customers can open a claim. First American offers a 24/7 service request hotline where you can make service calls at any time as well as a user-friendly online customer portal. First American has a nationwide network of workers and prescreens every service contractor and requires them to complete a probationary period to ensure customer satisfaction standards are met through customer survey results.

Online Homeowner Center

First American offers an easy-to-use online homeowner center for all of its customers. From this portal, a customer can open and track their claims, view their contract details, renew their home warranty, and manage communication preferences.

The Bad

• Nationwide Service Unavailable
  • First American Home Warranty Reviews
  • Extra Cost for Air Conditioning Coverage

Nationwide Service Unavailable

First American provides coverage in 38 states and the District of Columbia. There is a tool on its website that allows for a zip code lookup to determine if First American provides coverage for customers in a particular state. Unfortunately, if you are out of First American’s coverage area, you are unable to receive its services.

First American Home Warranty Reviews

First American Home Warranty has some negative reviews highlighting bad customer service, delayed and lengthy response and service time, and hidden fees on appliances. We suggest reading through First American Home Warranty reviews before making a final purchasing decision.

Extra Cost for Air Conditioning Coverage

Many home warranty providers offer air conditioning as part of their premier plan or combo plan, but First American Home Warranty only offers an AC unit as additional coverage with an extra fee you add to your chosen plan. This may be a problem for customers looking to have air conditioning as part of their prearranged plan. However, because the AC unit isn't covered in First American Home Warranty's two main plans, this is what makes the company's warranty cost cheaper than most.

The Bottom Line

With 35+ years of experience and a large network of service providers (each contractor is reviewed and put through a probation period to ensure customer satisfaction), First American Home Warranty has comprehensive protection with high coverage limits for major appliances and systems. With a competitive cost and service call fee and multiple plan options, First American Home Warranty gives you more value for your money and covers customers with flexible payment options for various budgets.

The company offers a basic plan for customers that are looking for more standard coverage, as well as a premier plan for homeowners wanting more robust coverage. Additional add-on items are also available for coverage so consumers can pick and choose other major systems and appliances they want covered. Note that First American Home Warranty only covers the wear and tear of major appliances and systems. Like most home warranty companies, First American does not cover pre-existing conditions.

When compared to other home warranty companies, First American Home Warranty has a competitive monthly cost and service fee. Some warranty providers charge upwards of $600 per year with a $100 service fee.

First American Home Warranty created its home warranty programs with not just homeowners in mind but network service providers and real estate professionals as well. Typically, for whichever home warranty plan you select, the service contract will last for one year.

If you want to learn about what customers think of the company, such as response time, customer service, and quality of repair, check out First American Home Warranty reviews below.

Call our recommended rep over at First American Home Warranty below.

3.9

Kim Jarandson Medford, OR

The last Electrician you sent to me, left me with a non working bedroom light and no plug working in the bedroom, he did not find it was a hot wire, outside for a hot tub the old owners had.

Rich Papaioannou Cypress, TX

Service is good. The vendors with who they work have been less than responsive.

Rhonda Alfonso Dunn, NC

It's supposed to pay for repairs. But I was out 1,600.00 for hvac

Mahin Northridge, CA

They alway make an excuse not to fix things properly.

Joyce Haseleu San Diego, CA

Some of the companies are 2nd rate and are not always qualified for the job

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Joyce, we appreciate your feedback.

Apr. 5th, 2021

James Ingram Newalla, OK

I've only made one request and had to find the contractors myself and never got a call about my request. I had to call you find out the status.

Denise burhans Charleston, WV

Difficult to get plumbing repairs ...problems with a leak since beginning of Dec...still not resolve

Lorraine Manteca, CA

I had to call 3x to get my water heater looked at properly.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you for your review Lorraine.

Mar. 1st, 2021

anon Corpus Christi, TX

you can never speak to a person. your prompts are super frustrating and they do not understand plain english.

Nancy Roepke Franconia, VA

I have found they send out second rate contractors and will not send the contractor of my choice.

LaNell Morold Plano, TX

They rarely cover expenses. They charged over and above.

Newt Johnson Harrah, OK

Need more people out here that is in your network for septic

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you for your review Newt. We will definitely look into this types of contractors in your area.

Mar. 1st, 2021

Sue Simpsonville, SC

Two of my three requests could not be fulfilled.

Jose Martir Magnolia, TX

3 Company, but their CS needs to improve

Jane Anne Hayber Greensboro, NC

You have sent idiots that didn't know what they were doing & I'm left stranded even longer; you have not paid them when I have paid you - and they demand their money....like I have double payment money lying around. VERY IRRITATING. Getting an appt time when I'm at home and not at work VERY DIFFICULT.

JAMES ROWLAND Bradenton, FL

The people they use for service are not exactly what I would pick.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi James. Thank you for your review.

Jan. 28th, 2021

Joel C Buehler-Werline Redwood City, CA

Took way too long to replace water heater

Elaine Saafir Los Angeles, CA

Recently requested service and services were not complete by contractor. Tech stated they informed American Warranty and did not get approval, but me, the client, was not given the info

robert ruder Pacific Palisades, CA

Helped, however people that came were NOT always helpful

Melty V. Dayton, OH

Customer service needs improvement and support of how to assist the customer without reading a script.

Brit Bolerjack Bethany, OK

We've had a home warranty with First American for 2+ years. The three claims we have had have been handled promptly until now. Our contractor said that the oven would be replaced and that First American would get back to us in 48 hours. It's been a week. I finally tried to contact the company and it took me TWENTY minutes of being on the phone with their automated system to finally be redirected to an actual service line!! And then of course, I'm just on hold forever. It's a fine warrenty, but the customer service is pretty dang frusterating.

Robert Neumuller

They are very good at responding to my request, however, when a unit must be replaced, their replacement is usually inferior to the unit being replaced and so they get away with paying out a fraction of the actual equivalent replacement cost.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Robert. Thank you for your review. We determine the replacement based on similar features, efficiency and capacity to your current unit and cash payments are based upon our negotiated rates with our suppliers which may be less than retail. You may refer to your contract under Limits of Liability for additional information.

Jessica Nocerinbo Troianello

Benn going in circles, with no resolution

Annie

I have not used these services as yet . I have to wait until I need something done, then I will have an amswer

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Annie. We appreciate your feedback.

Janet and Gordon Banwart

So far we haven't had any service, Our parts are in but no one answers the phone to set up an appointment. After we get our first service call we will be able to rate your company.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Janet and Gordon, First American apologizes for any inconvenience you may have experienced during the handling of your claim and thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. We are always looking for ways to better our service and your feedback is an invaluable part of the process. At this time, our records indicate that United Services of Arizona has been authorized to replace the control board to your oven range. United Services of Arizona will contact you directly to schedule a mutually convenient appointment to repair the unit. Please be advised, First American considers your claim pending. Thank you

BOBBY BUTLER

I had to wait four weeks to have my ice maker repaired, then it didn't work so I had wait two more weeks for a 2nd repair which also did not repair the icemaker. After that they offered me a replacement refrigerator that was no where close to the refrigerator I have. It laqked many of the features on m,y refrg. I took the buy out instead.

MUFID B AL-NAJJAR

past performance was slow and no consistant action but i am trying to see if this has improved

Jenna Satariano

This is my first experience with a home warranty company and while I trust that American Home Warranty is one of the better companies, I have been somewhat disappointed with the communication from the company on repair claims. The first dispatch of repair technicians was prompt, but getting a tech back to complete the work took several calls and turns out that despite having essentially full coverage, a good chunk of the work required turned out to not be covered, but it took me calling and following up on numerous occasions to learn about this. I am now still waiting for them to schedule a tech to complete the work, and I anticipate having to have to follow up again as opposed to them reaching out to me with updates, which was just not how I anticipated this process would go. All in all, I think it's worth having the coverage for the investment, but I do wish that the process was more user-friendly, communicative, and transparent.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Jenna, First American apologizes for any inconvenience you may have experienced during the handling of your claim and thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. We are always looking for ways to better our service and your feedback is an invaluable part of the process. At this time, our records indicate that One Stop Plumbing & Rooter has completed the repairs to the drain line in the garage. We have dispatched contractor Drywall Masters to repair the drywall accessed by the plumbing company. Drywall Masters will contact you directly to schedule a mutually convenient appointment to complete repairs. Please be advised, First American considers your claim pending. Thank you,

Nov. 25th, 2020

Debbie Guthrie

Even though we're in the middle of a Pandemic, it took longer than it normally would; started process in August and resolution not reached until end of October with a "Cash Out" amount lower than what I feel should have been given. I hope under normal circumstances it wouldn't take that long, this was my first experience using my warranty. My washer is not an appliance someone should have to wait that long to get it taken care of.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Debbie. We apologize for any inconvenience during the handling of your claim. We appreciate your feedback.

Nov. 23rd, 2020

Birden S Howard Jr., SSG. E-6 Retired U.S. Army

My review because I have only had one payment to them, No Job service done for me yet.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you Birden for your review.

Nov. 20th, 2020

david zambriczki

iit all depends what adjuster you get i seem always have problems

Fred Norman, Jr.

Better customer empathy would be appreciated during emergency situation vs. being told company policy

Cox Stephen

Just average service on most requests and wait time for service is lengthy

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you for your review Cox.

Oct. 30th, 2020

Tomi Hagihara

Although they are courteous, I have not yet had my air conditioner repaired.. First reported to you o n Sept 17

Clint Russell

Never was told about up charges that may occurred or up grades to your policy

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Clint. Thank you for your review. The home warranty contract has limitations for items covered and not covered. As for optional coverage, they may be viewed online and can be added when it is time for renewal.

Oct. 30th, 2020

LadyGem

I was having a furnace replaced and the contractor they used wouldn't accept a credit card. I spoke with the First American and nothing happened. I was offered a buyout for about a 3rd of the cost which wasn't worth the buyout. Then after replacement I noticed the duct work was now blocking my safety switch and the water heater pipes which prevented the plumber from being able to complete his job. I called the HVAC contractor back and he advised the plumber to “remove the screws from the duct work and position them where he needed them.” WTH that wasn't the plumbers job and the ducts are installed messy. When I called to report the contractor not accepting credit cards one of the representatives disconnected my call and never called back.

Andrew

My current repair call is already five months without receiving the new microwave from GE and to have them install it. Although First American is trying hard, and the manufacturer is causing the delay, I feel First American should be more aggressive in resolving this replacement microwave service call in a short period of time.

Nancy Synnott

I thought all my kitchen appliances were covered, but I found out that my refrigerator is not...can 't add it until i renew next year.

Hugh

I pay nealry$750 a year .I may use the once a year. I found it becoming more difficult to make appointments and 3-6 dys before a service professional arrives to repair .

George Los Angeles, CA

Zero consistency when calling for service or support. I have had multiple contracts and about 80% of agents refuse to help. It's not that they can't, they won't.

Connie Knoxville, TN

Some of the contractors did a good job however some of them did not and I had to call back to get work done correctly. One company had to come out 3 times to do a repair on my dryer.not only did they scratch up my floor, after they left the next day the same problem came back..

Shane M Scottsdale, AZ

There are too many exclusions in the contract. Many parts that need to be fixed when they brake are not covered.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Shane. Thank you for your review.

Sep. 2nd, 2020

Ishita Bhaumik Laguna Hills, CA

They are good but I have problem with their updating of their customer's renewal of policy in their automated answering. I had cancelled their policy about 3yrs ago, then reinstated it within a couple of months, but the answering auto phone doesn't recognize my policy. I have reminded their Customer service again and again for last couple of years but no, it has not yet corrected it.

Jeff Mackor Portland, TX

Reliable and timely service although it is very difficult to speak to someone

Staci Thomasville, NC

Contractors are questionable first one didn't answer or contact me, Second one has been out Twice and still not sure ac is fixed.

JoAnn San Juan Capistrano, CA

Not good with emergency services especially on a weekend.

Alois Cottonwood, CA

They do not have people answering phones who seem to know what is going on .

Natasha Guerrera Wildomar, CA

It was the service man. I didn't like how he didn't allow me to explain. My dryer door wouldn't shut and he was just real short in and out 2 min. Horrible service

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Natasha, Our records indicate you placed a claim for your clothes dryer not working properly. We dispatched an independent contractor, Accord Appliance Service, Inc who reported the clothes dryer door was broken not due to normal wear and tear. Please be advised, First American's liability is limited to repair or replace an item that fails due to normal wear and tear. You may refer to your home warranty contract under Limits of Liability, Number Three. Please be advised, your claim is considered closed. Thank you.

Aug. 10th, 2020

John

The companies they send out have horrible reviews and those Companies wanna find anything to make more money. They are not there to fix the simple problem

Andrew

Not all of the time, the best maintenance company will come to do the work and some times forget the scheluded time to be at the residence

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Andrew. Thank you for your feedback!

Jul. 23rd, 2020