First American Home Warranty

7.8

First American Home Warranty has been an industry leader for over 35 years and has a reputation of providing quality home warranty plans with extensive coverage for homeowners across the nation. The home warranty provider has serviced millions of claims, saving homeowners more than $180 million in covered repairs and replacements.

The company has a large network of prescreened technicians so you don't have to worry about doing your own research and independently finding your own technician. Warranty coverage lasts for one year and monthly payment options are available as well. First American Home Warranty ranked in our list of Top 10 Best Home Warranty Companies of 2019.

The Good

• Decades of Experience and Company Stability
  • Comprehensive Plans
  • Coverage Limits
  • 24/7 Claims Service
  • Online Homeowner Center

Decades of Experience and Company Stability

First American has been providing home warranties since 1984. The home warranty service provider offers coverage to 38 states plus the District of Columbia. Over 35 years of home warranty experience is a good indication of the company’s stability and willingness to provide quality service. Choosing a home warranty company with so much experience could be an additional benefit for homeowners.

Comprehensive Plans

First American Home Warranty currently offers two coverage plans and a variety of additional options for warranty coverage. The monthly cost for a First American Home Warranty plan starts at $28 per month and lasts for one year. The service fee varies by location, but you will typically pay $75 whenever you schedule a repair or replacement with a First American Home Warranty technician. Warranty plan holders can upgrade or expand their warranty plan within the first 30 days of coverage to add on additional systems or appliances.

First American also offers a 30-day review period for new warranty contract holders. Customizable plans are made for homeowners, real estate professionals, as well as network service providers. First American Home Warranty's website allows anyone to receive a sample contract and specific residential warranty pricing within minutes.

First American Home Warranty does not have an age limit on systems and appliances, so you don't have to worry about the company refusing coverage based on this. Warranty coverage for major appliances and systems is as follows (pricing and coverage for protection plans may vary by location):

The Basic Plan: $28 per Month or $336 per Year

• Garage door opener
  • Ductwork
  • Central vacuum system

Optional Coverage

For a fee, you can add additional coverage items to your service contract:

• Central air conditioning (electric) — $9 per month
  • Additional refrigeration — $4 per month
  • Pool/spa equipment — $15 per month
  • Well pump — $7 per month
  • First class upgrade — $9 per month

Coverage Limits

Unlike some home warranty providers, most of First American’s covered items do not carry a specific dollar limit. First American plans do not require a home inspection to be done by a contractor or maintenance records to be retrieved from a repair person for coverage. The service provider also offers extra protection for malfunctions due to lack of maintenance, regular wear and tear, rust, corrosion, and sedimentary build-up. There are no age limits on covered items, and no limit to the number of claims a customer can file.

24/7 Claims Service

No matter the time of day, customers can open a claim. First American offers a 24/7 service request hotline where you can make service calls at any time as well as a user-friendly online customer portal. First American has a nationwide network of workers and prescreens every service contractor and requires them to complete a probationary period to ensure customer satisfaction standards are met through customer survey results.

Online Homeowner Center

First American offers an easy-to-use online homeowner center for all of its customers. From this portal, a customer can open and track their claims, view their contract details, renew their home warranty, and manage communication preferences.

The Bad

• Nationwide Service Unavailable
  • First American Home Warranty Reviews
  • Extra Cost for Air Conditioning Coverage

Nationwide Service Unavailable

First American provides coverage in 38 states and the District of Columbia. There is a tool on its website that allows for a zip code lookup to determine if First American provides coverage for customers in a particular state. Unfortunately, if you are out of First American’s coverage area, you are unable to receive its services.

First American Home Warranty Reviews

First American Home Warranty has some negative reviews highlighting bad customer service, delayed and lengthy response and service time, and hidden fees on appliances. We suggest reading through First American Home Warranty reviews before making a final purchasing decision.

Extra Cost for Air Conditioning Coverage

Many home warranty providers offer air conditioning as part of their premier plan or combo plan, but First American Home Warranty only offers an AC unit as additional coverage with an extra fee you add to your chosen plan. This may be a problem for customers looking to have air conditioning as part of their prearranged plan. However, because the AC unit isn't covered in First American Home Warranty's two main plans, this is what makes the company's warranty cost cheaper than most.

The Bottom Line

With 35+ years of experience and a large network of service providers (each contractor is reviewed and put through a probation period to ensure customer satisfaction), First American Home Warranty has comprehensive protection with high coverage limits for major appliances and systems. With a competitive cost and service call fee and multiple plan options, First American Home Warranty gives you more value for your money and covers customers with flexible payment options for various budgets.

The company offers a basic plan for customers that are looking for more standard coverage, as well as a premier plan for homeowners wanting more robust coverage. Additional add-on items are also available for coverage so consumers can pick and choose other major systems and appliances they want covered. Note that First American Home Warranty only covers the wear and tear of major appliances and systems. Like most home warranty companies, First American does not cover pre-existing conditions.

When compared to other home warranty companies, First American Home Warranty has a competitive monthly cost and service fee. Some warranty providers charge upwards of $600 per year with a $100 service fee.

First American Home Warranty created its home warranty programs with not just homeowners in mind but network service providers and real estate professionals as well. Typically, for whichever home warranty plan you select, the service contract will last for one year.

If you want to learn about what customers think of the company, such as response time, customer service, and quality of repair, check out First American Home Warranty reviews below.

Call our recommended rep over at First American Home Warranty below.

3.9

Andrea Smith Hemet, CA

I am in the middle of a claim. The adjuster most likely has more claims than he would like & is tough to get hold of. On a personal note, he is fine to deal with & pretty clear on most questions. I haven't had enough experience with customer service to be able to rate them. I will not be able to give you an appropriate answer really, to any of the other questions until the claim is closed out.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Andrea. Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate it.

Michael Hazard Dunnsville, VA

The time it takes to get the necessary service. Their refusal to take the word of their contractors as to the work required to correct a problem. The inability of some of their contractors to accomplish installation of a product requiring the homeowner to hire another contractor to finish the installation at the homeowners expense.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Michael. Thank you for your review. We have requested additional information from you.

Jun. 16th, 2021

Terry white San Marcos, CA

Slow to respond, takes a long time to answer calls, when you get disconnected they do not call you back. The service company and home warranty are not on the same page. At this moment 3 stars are being generous. But they are very fast and good at taking the monthly payment from the bank!

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Terry. We appreciate your feedback. We have sent you a message requesting for additional information. Thank you.

Jenna Satariano

This is my first experience with a home warranty company and while I trust that American Home Warranty is one of the better companies, I have been somewhat disappointed with the communication from the company on repair claims. The first dispatch of repair technicians was prompt, but getting a tech back to complete the work took several calls and turns out that despite having essentially full coverage, a good chunk of the work required turned out to not be covered, but it took me calling and following up on numerous occasions to learn about this. I am now still waiting for them to schedule a tech to complete the work, and I anticipate having to have to follow up again as opposed to them reaching out to me with updates, which was just not how I anticipated this process would go. All in all, I think it's worth having the coverage for the investment, but I do wish that the process was more user-friendly, communicative, and transparent.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Jenna, First American apologizes for any inconvenience you may have experienced during the handling of your claim and thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. We are always looking for ways to better our service and your feedback is an invaluable part of the process. At this time, our records indicate that One Stop Plumbing & Rooter has completed the repairs to the drain line in the garage. We have dispatched contractor Drywall Masters to repair the drywall accessed by the plumbing company. Drywall Masters will contact you directly to schedule a mutually convenient appointment to complete repairs. Please be advised, First American considers your claim pending. Thank you,

Nov. 25th, 2020

Kim Jarandson Medford, OR

The last Electrician you sent to me, left me with a non working bedroom light and no plug working in the bedroom, he did not find it was a hot wire, outside for a hot tub the old owners had.

Julia Los Angeles, CA

We inherited the home warranty from the seller of our townhouse and have had this service for just about 2 years, with our service expiring April 2021. We had to use First American service 3 times over these two years (twice for plumbing, and once for our washing machine) and overall the process went smoothly. Because we were blessed enough not to need reimbursement or repairs beyond the initial service calls I believe we were served what we expected. I must say that the renewal was very expensive (about $700), and I was not knowledgeable enough last year to shop around. I urge everyone to do their research.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you Julia for your review.

Apr. 20th, 2021

Debbie Guthrie

Even though we're in the middle of a Pandemic, it took longer than it normally would; started process in August and resolution not reached until end of October with a "Cash Out" amount lower than what I feel should have been given. I hope under normal circumstances it wouldn't take that long, this was my first experience using my warranty. My washer is not an appliance someone should have to wait that long to get it taken care of.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Debbie. We apologize for any inconvenience during the handling of your claim. We appreciate your feedback.

Nov. 23rd, 2020

LadyGem

I was having a furnace replaced and the contractor they used wouldn't accept a credit card. I spoke with the First American and nothing happened. I was offered a buyout for about a 3rd of the cost which wasn't worth the buyout. Then after replacement I noticed the duct work was now blocking my safety switch and the water heater pipes which prevented the plumber from being able to complete his job. I called the HVAC contractor back and he advised the plumber to “remove the screws from the duct work and position them where he needed them.” WTH that wasn't the plumbers job and the ducts are installed messy. When I called to report the contractor not accepting credit cards one of the representatives disconnected my call and never called back.

Robert Neumuller

They are very good at responding to my request, however, when a unit must be replaced, their replacement is usually inferior to the unit being replaced and so they get away with paying out a fraction of the actual equivalent replacement cost.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Robert. Thank you for your review. We determine the replacement based on similar features, efficiency and capacity to your current unit and cash payments are based upon our negotiated rates with our suppliers which may be less than retail. You may refer to your contract under Limits of Liability for additional information.

Dec. 22nd, 2020

BOBBY BUTLER

I had to wait four weeks to have my ice maker repaired, then it didn't work so I had wait two more weeks for a 2nd repair which also did not repair the icemaker. After that they offered me a replacement refrigerator that was no where close to the refrigerator I have. It laqked many of the features on m,y refrg. I took the buy out instead.

Ishita Bhaumik Laguna Hills, CA

They are good but I have problem with their updating of their customer's renewal of policy in their automated answering. I had cancelled their policy about 3yrs ago, then reinstated it within a couple of months, but the answering auto phone doesn't recognize my policy. I have reminded their Customer service again and again for last couple of years but no, it has not yet corrected it.

Anonymous San Antonio, TX

Contractors they hire don’t have the best reviews and I look at reviews to make decision in making my purchases and selecting services

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello. Thank you for your review.

Apr. 22nd, 2021

Ronnie Rockinoldman63 Delaware Concord, CA

Over a period of 3 years, we had filed 3 claims and it was like pulling teeth. It felt like they wanted to deny anything we submitted, though they ended paying for the 3 items. Their pricing is almost the best you can get (lowest) but you do get what you pay for.

Elaine Saafir Los Angeles, CA

Recently requested service and services were not complete by contractor. Tech stated they informed American Warranty and did not get approval, but me, the client, was not given the info

Janet and Gordon Banwart

So far we haven't had any service, Our parts are in but no one answers the phone to set up an appointment. After we get our first service call we will be able to rate your company.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Janet and Gordon, First American apologizes for any inconvenience you may have experienced during the handling of your claim and thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. We are always looking for ways to better our service and your feedback is an invaluable part of the process. At this time, our records indicate that United Services of Arizona has been authorized to replace the control board to your oven range. United Services of Arizona will contact you directly to schedule a mutually convenient appointment to repair the unit. Please be advised, First American considers your claim pending. Thank you

Dec. 22nd, 2020

Andrew

My current repair call is already five months without receiving the new microwave from GE and to have them install it. Although First American is trying hard, and the manufacturer is causing the delay, I feel First American should be more aggressive in resolving this replacement microwave service call in a short period of time.

Connie Knoxville, TN

Some of the contractors did a good job however some of them did not and I had to call back to get work done correctly. One company had to come out 3 times to do a repair on my dryer.not only did they scratch up my floor, after they left the next day the same problem came back..

Brenda Berkeley Springs, WV

Took a while for us to get our HVAC system last summer when it was really hot

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Brenda. We appreciate your feedback.

Walter Meriwether

When my claim was submitted, I received an email from them stating we're reviewing your claim and will let you know. This usually takes 2 to 3 days. After 5 days I had to call to find out oh your claim was approved. They ordered my new air conditioning unit, it finally arrived after two weeks. I haven't been able to use my home office in over a month.

michelle Santee, CA

It was a hassle trying to get my washer and dryer taken care of. The vendors they use are NOT competent. Then when a replacement was needed and we picked a less expensive model, they wouldn't honor that and gave us way less than the washer was worth. We didn't want the same one, clearly it wasn't a good machine. The people were nice, but my dryer still sings!

Diane

I had an experience with them recently where their provider wouldn't even try to tackle the problem. It was the second job that company had messed up with us. So I got someone else and had to pay out of my own pocket. When I wrote negative comments on the follow up service they called me and refunded me the money I had spent. We had another situation when they brought out an electrician and that guy was amazing. He stayed with it until he fixed it all. So I'd say it's a really mixed bag of who they send and how well they do.

Tanja

We had a water problem. The technician gave us incorrect information for the repair. We had to go outside at First American to have the repair done. When the repair was done a problem still was not solved and the repair that was recommended was unnecessary. It was a $700 mistake on First Americam's part of which they said they would reimburse us. They did not. We have been customers for almost 20 years. Sorely disappointed

My experience with First American is satisfactory, I feel like it saves us month and it is comparable to an appraisal from a general contractor or specialist. The work done on our home has been good but it is hard to find background information about them and where they are coming from. I have had an issue with the customer service, the last two claim took almost a week for someone to get scheduled.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello, we appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Thank you.

Jun. 3rd, 2019

Androw

They've done a pretty good job. I have had a couple of instances where I've used it for the pool and spa. We called First American to come and check it out and they sent a contractor over. The first time I wasn't very happy because the contractor didn't return the call within three days and it was an emergency as far as I was concerned. The hot water heater went out on one but the other two times have been good.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you Androw for your review.

May. 29th, 2019

James Ingram Newalla, OK

I've only made one request and had to find the contractors myself and never got a call about my request. I had to call you find out the status.

Jane Anne Hayber Greensboro, NC

You have sent idiots that didn't know what they were doing & I'm left stranded even longer; you have not paid them when I have paid you - and they demand their money....like I have double payment money lying around. VERY IRRITATING. Getting an appt time when I'm at home and not at work VERY DIFFICULT.

Brit Bolerjack Bethany, OK

We've had a home warranty with First American for 2+ years. The three claims we have had have been handled promptly until now. Our contractor said that the oven would be replaced and that First American would get back to us in 48 hours. It's been a week. I finally tried to contact the company and it took me TWENTY minutes of being on the phone with their automated system to finally be redirected to an actual service line!! And then of course, I'm just on hold forever. It's a fine warrenty, but the customer service is pretty dang frusterating.

Melanie Capps Prescott Valley, AZ

When I first bought the house I had two minor fixes. My next renewal the premium was raised. I haven't had an issue since. I have not had premium decrease in 3 years. I really don't think that is fair with a used home purchase to have this held against me.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Melanie. We are not holding anything against you. We are only here to help. The prices for contract coverage change throughout the years as we go through transitions. However, we certainly do our best to keep costs as low as possible.

Jun. 23rd, 2020

Joseph Lieberman Philadelphia, PA

Taking to long to get a simple job done. They made a mistake on the diagnosis and it has been down hill from there. It has taken me 2 weeks to get this straight and I have talked to 5 people from there and still nothing is done.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Joseph, Thank you for your honest feedback. We would like to apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced with the handling of your claim, and thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. We are always looking for ways to better our service and your feedback is an invaluable part of the process. Thank you.

Jun. 25th, 2020

Joe Rowe

I have paid insurance premiums to American Home Warranty, totaling well over $4,000 but have never had to file a claim. Until something happens, I will have no basis to rate them on. They’re good at collecting payments, if I file a claim, we’ll see how good they are then.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Joe. We are here when you need us and will definitely put our best foot forward to provide you with fast and efficient service when that time comes. Meanwhile, thank you for choosing First American!

Jun. 18th, 2020

Silvia

I been very happy with the service you have provided, however the last time service was needed for my rental property there was a confusion with the warranty and the service was not able to complete the work. This was a mistake on your end. So I wasn’t very happy.

Jacqueline Vaughn

Coverage is good and bad sometimes. We had a 17 year old heat and air unit that First American would not cover as they said that it quite because of abuse not age or normal wear and tear. I think 17 years is old for a unit!

Magaly Riverside, CA

Customer service is not really that helpful. When I call First American, I have to wait for a long time. I have to wait until they get a contractor and I think older people and people with kids should be a priority and they don't do that. I am getting what I paid for.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Magaly. We appreciate your feedback.

Jun. 25th, 2019

Sharon Ft. Washington, MD

I chose them because I thought it was a great company to work with. I don't think it worth the money and I should have gone with another company. The contractors don't complete the job and there is a lot of back and forth and my washing machine still does not work. I would not refer them.

M. Wasserman Irvine, CA

They tried to put a lesser hp garbage disposal in. I refused it. It took another few weeks to get permission to put a like hp one in. Mine was very quiet. The new one is like a freight train in the kitchen. Not real happy with it.

Rich Papaioannou Cypress, TX

Service is good. The vendors with who they work have been less than responsive.

Denise burhans Charleston, WV

Difficult to get plumbing repairs ...problems with a leak since beginning of Dec...still not resolve

anon Corpus Christi, TX

you can never speak to a person. your prompts are super frustrating and they do not understand plain english.

Hugh

I pay nealry$750 a year .I may use the once a year. I found it becoming more difficult to make appointments and 3-6 dys before a service professional arrives to repair .

George Los Angeles, CA

Zero consistency when calling for service or support. I have had multiple contracts and about 80% of agents refuse to help. It's not that they can't, they won't.

Natasha Guerrera Wildomar, CA

It was the service man. I didn't like how he didn't allow me to explain. My dryer door wouldn't shut and he was just real short in and out 2 min. Horrible service

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Natasha, Our records indicate you placed a claim for your clothes dryer not working properly. We dispatched an independent contractor, Accord Appliance Service, Inc who reported the clothes dryer door was broken not due to normal wear and tear. Please be advised, First American's liability is limited to repair or replace an item that fails due to normal wear and tear. You may refer to your home warranty contract under Limits of Liability, Number Three. Please be advised, your claim is considered closed. Thank you.

Aug. 10th, 2020

Robert Mcnabb Murrieta, CA

Billing department, not on the ball. Paid service fee, notified I didn’t by account and mail. Sent in canceled check, confirmed by phone call that I had, and I still get letter saying I need to pay.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Robert. We apologize for that inconvenience. The service call fee has been corrected in our system and you are no longer to receive a notice for payment. Thank you.

Jun. 23rd, 2020

bill jaco Gerber, CA

because when i signed up i was told i would get a bill each month or at least one so that i have a phone number if needed quickly.im still waiting.i just like omething i can hold in my hand.thank you.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Bill. Monthly payments are automatically charged to the credit card on file. If you have any questions regarding coverage or wish to place a claim then you may do so by calling (800) 992-3400 . Thank you.

Jun. 9th, 2020

Robert

Can hardly get someone from First American Home Warranty to get someone scheduled to come to my house. I usually have to find something myself, then pay them in full and wait weeks for me to get reimbursed.

John Fink

Every time some one comes to fix something u have to buy something more that cost more money because they don''t have that one only one for more money or u have to wait or 2-3weeks

Cheryl Graafstra

The quality of companies are not very trustworthy, they do not show up for sched'd appts. They quickly respond to me with repair business to set up repair. FAHW has better coverage than other home warranty companies.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Cheryl. We apologize the contractor missed appointments. We appreciate your feedback.

Jun. 4th, 2019

Alex Ware Sedona, AZ

Phone system sucks. Too much wait time. Call handlers lack enthusiasm. Service response from providers is mostly good. Surprised that there isn't a plumber closer than Phoenix and 4 day appointment time

Lucy

I wish I had one rep to follow up with me with my issues. Every time I call, I am talking to someone new and I'm having to explain myself again and it's very stressful and frustrating. It's all been difficult.

Rhonda Alfonso Dunn, NC

It's supposed to pay for repairs. But I was out 1,600.00 for hvac

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Rhonda, Air Solutions replaced your package unit due to a cracked heat exchanger. As a result of the replacement there were non-covered charges for code upgrades and modifications that are not covered per your home warranty contract under Limits of Liability, Number Six. Our records indicate the replacement was completed on March 11, 2021. As such, your claim is considered closed. Thank you.

Apr. 12th, 2021

Dora Hernandez Gilbert, AZ

I've always raved about how much i love this company and my son in law just switched to FAHW also. I like that they get a tech out to my home quickly, and placing a claim is easy. I did, however, call them today and ask then for a copy of all the claims I've placed and they said they couldn't help me with that because they don't save previous year claims. I still thought that was odd. I pay this company $75 a month to provide me with a service. I have a policy with them. You would think that something so simple can be obtained for your own records? Also, i didn't like that i was transferred numerous times before I got to speak to the right department. I've never bothered to read the reviews, but wow! I displeases me to see how many there are. I'm not sure if I'll be renewing my contract with them in October when I move to my new home...?