First American Home Warranty

8.1

First American Home Warranty has been an industry leader for over 35 years and has a reputation of providing quality home warranty plans with extensive coverage for homeowners across the nation. The home warranty provider has serviced millions of claims, saving homeowners more than $180 million in covered repairs and replacements.

The company has a large network of prescreened technicians so you don't have to worry about doing your own research and independently finding your own technician. Warranty coverage lasts for one year and monthly payment options are available as well. First American Home Warranty ranked in our list of Top 10 Best Home Warranty Companies of 2019.

The Good

• Decades of Experience and Company Stability
  • Comprehensive Plans
  • Coverage Limits
  • 24/7 Claims Service
  • Online Homeowner Center

Decades of Experience and Company Stability

First American has been providing home warranties since 1984. The home warranty service provider offers coverage to 38 states plus the District of Columbia. Over 35 years of home warranty experience is a good indication of the company’s stability and willingness to provide quality service. Choosing a home warranty company with so much experience could be an additional benefit for homeowners.

Comprehensive Plans

First American Home Warranty currently offers two coverage plans and a variety of additional options for warranty coverage. The monthly cost for a First American Home Warranty plan starts at $28 per month and lasts for one year. The service fee varies by location, but you will typically pay $75 whenever you schedule a repair or replacement with a First American Home Warranty technician. Warranty plan holders can upgrade or expand their warranty plan within the first 30 days of coverage to add on additional systems or appliances.

First American also offers a 30-day review period for new warranty contract holders. Customizable plans are made for homeowners, real estate professionals, as well as network service providers. First American Home Warranty's website allows anyone to receive a sample contract and specific residential warranty pricing within minutes.

First American Home Warranty does not have an age limit on systems and appliances, so you don't have to worry about the company refusing coverage based on this. Warranty coverage for major appliances and systems is as follows (pricing and coverage for protection plans may vary by location):

The Basic Plan: $28 per Month or $336 per Year

• Garage door opener
  • Ductwork
  • Central vacuum system

Optional Coverage

For a fee, you can add additional coverage items to your service contract:

• Central air conditioning (electric) — $9 per month
  • Additional refrigeration — $4 per month
  • Pool/spa equipment — $15 per month
  • Well pump — $7 per month
  • First class upgrade — $9 per month

Coverage Limits

Unlike some home warranty providers, most of First American’s covered items do not carry a specific dollar limit. First American plans do not require a home inspection to be done by a contractor or maintenance records to be retrieved from a repair person for coverage. The service provider also offers extra protection for malfunctions due to lack of maintenance, regular wear and tear, rust, corrosion, and sedimentary build-up. There are no age limits on covered items, and no limit to the number of claims a customer can file.

24/7 Claims Service

No matter the time of day, customers can open a claim. First American offers a 24/7 service request hotline where you can make service calls at any time as well as a user-friendly online customer portal. First American has a nationwide network of workers and prescreens every service contractor and requires them to complete a probationary period to ensure customer satisfaction standards are met through customer survey results.

Online Homeowner Center

First American offers an easy-to-use online homeowner center for all of its customers. From this portal, a customer can open and track their claims, view their contract details, renew their home warranty, and manage communication preferences.

The Bad

• Nationwide Service Unavailable
  • First American Home Warranty Reviews
  • Extra Cost for Air Conditioning Coverage

Nationwide Service Unavailable

First American provides coverage in 38 states and the District of Columbia. There is a tool on its website that allows for a zip code lookup to determine if First American provides coverage for customers in a particular state. Unfortunately, if you are out of First American’s coverage area, you are unable to receive its services.

First American Home Warranty Reviews

First American Home Warranty has some negative reviews highlighting bad customer service, delayed and lengthy response and service time, and hidden fees on appliances. We suggest reading through First American Home Warranty reviews before making a final purchasing decision.

Extra Cost for Air Conditioning Coverage

Many home warranty providers offer air conditioning as part of their premier plan or combo plan, but First American Home Warranty only offers an AC unit as additional coverage with an extra fee you add to your chosen plan. This may be a problem for customers looking to have air conditioning as part of their prearranged plan. However, because the AC unit isn't covered in First American Home Warranty's two main plans, this is what makes the company's warranty cost cheaper than most.

The Bottom Line

With 35+ years of experience and a large network of service providers (each contractor is reviewed and put through a probation period to ensure customer satisfaction), First American Home Warranty has comprehensive protection with high coverage limits for major appliances and systems. With a competitive cost and service call fee and multiple plan options, First American Home Warranty gives you more value for your money and covers customers with flexible payment options for various budgets.

The company offers a basic plan for customers that are looking for more standard coverage, as well as a premier plan for homeowners wanting more robust coverage. Additional add-on items are also available for coverage so consumers can pick and choose other major systems and appliances they want covered. Note that First American Home Warranty only covers the wear and tear of major appliances and systems. Like most home warranty companies, First American does not cover pre-existing conditions.

When compared to other home warranty companies, First American Home Warranty has a competitive monthly cost and service fee. Some warranty providers charge upwards of $600 per year with a $100 service fee.

First American Home Warranty created its home warranty programs with not just homeowners in mind but network service providers and real estate professionals as well. Typically, for whichever home warranty plan you select, the service contract will last for one year.

If you want to learn about what customers think of the company, such as response time, customer service, and quality of repair, check out First American Home Warranty reviews below.

Call our recommended rep over at First American Home Warranty below.

3.9

Tip Boulder, CO

I've had the warranty for years (I believe since 2014 or so) and hardly use any of their service (good thing I guess). But my recent service request is a nightmare. It's a toilet leak from my unit (I live in a condo) to my neighbor's downstairs. I understand that I need to get a quote and authorization before the work started. The rep is VERY slow to respond my questions. And in the middle of the claim they switched my rep to someone else! who also does NOT return my calls nor my messages online (why do they have a message portal feature if nobody is checking it?!!). They allowed me to use outside contractor and I am following their required steps to a T. Anyway, now they're having a problem with fixing the drywall of my neighbor's unit because it's not my unit! Well, that's not what I was told earlier. It's a part of the leak problem. If it's within my unit, they would have covered. So, what is the difference!? I asked many times how the drywall will be fixed after the plumber fixed my toilet leak (which he has done that). And the first rep told me that First American will be sending someone to patch the drywall. So, I don't understand why it is a questionable item now. And now again with the calls back and forth... on hold waiting for a supervisor to talk to me and still nothing! For a simple toilet leak the work (not by the plumber but because of the steps I have to follow) takes more than a month!?!?! This is ridiculous!

K Rich Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

having to wait 2 weeks for an A/C company in the hottest part of summer in Florida is unacceptable. Having to wait a week for a new refrigerator part to come in is not acceptable. No refrigerator for a household of 6 for a week! Parts should be no more than a day or two away.

Kemery Berry Douglasville, GA

Non-covered charges billed to me in addition to the service call fee

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Kemery. Our records indicate you placed a claim on March 4, 2021, for your garbage disposal having a leak. First American dispatched an independent contractor, J & S Mechanical, to diagnose the failure. The contractor replaced garbage disposal as of March 5, 2021. On April 7, 2021, First American contacted you to discuss the non-covered charges you indicated in this review. You advised you were unaware faucets are not covered per your contract. You were advised you can find this information on your contract under Plumbing, Not Covered. Please be advised, First American considers your claim closed. Thank you.

Apr. 7th, 2021

Caroline ,

Very disappointed 😞 After renewing policy I made claim on hot water tank. A simple hot water tank replacement ended up costing me a lot of money. I ended up paying $425 out of pocket.

Juanita Santa Rosa, CA

I have been waitin almost two weeks to have two problems to be resolved. They took my money right away though.

Jennifer Keller Aliso Viejo, CA

Because your system for getting things repaired is horrible.

Anthony Rivera South Jordan, UT

Automated answering machine, then IF you get a live person very unprofessional in attitude and language barrier!!

Sue Ainscough Chattanooga, TN

Job was left undone called another plumber to finish job

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Sue, First American apologizes for any inconvenience you may have experienced during the handling of your claim and thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. We are always looking for ways to better our service and your feedback is an invaluable part of the process. Our records indicate that First American requested you to submit your contractor’s invoice for review. Once received, First American will review and proceed accordingly. Please be advised, First American considers your claim pending. Thank you

Feb. 26th, 2021

Kristi Portland, OR

Communication was horrible, first American blamed the contractor they hired, the contractor blamed first American. 2 months of going back and forth until I ended up just buying a new dishwasher

Liz Alexandria, VA

First American Home Warranty has failed to adequately fix my HVAC after 6 weeks. This is after four service technicians were sent to my home, three whom were not certified to work on my system despite me stating what system I have, half a dozen phone calls to the company, over nine hours on hold with the company, failure to call me back when promises were made, purchasing a Heat Pump that doesn’t work with other equipment in my home due to lack of appropriate research and conversations ahead of time, and out of pockets costs for me totaling $600. I was promised a case manager would be assigned to my case and it took 6 days for it to happen and for the person to contact me. Apparently everything will be fixed by Tuesday but we will see....

Reply from First American Home Warranty

First American Home Warranty apologizes for any inconvenience the consumer may be experiencing during the handling of their claim. First American’s records indicate the contractor, Prime Service Incorporated, found an additional failure, of the thermostat after the condenser was replaced. First American has authorized the thermostat replacement and ordered the part accordingly. Once the part is ready for pick up, the contractor will be in contact with the consumer to schedule a mutually convenient appointment for job completion. First American considers this claim pending.

Jan. 15th, 2021

Michael Adams Tacoma, WA

I like my warranty.Took care of appliances fast.Have had problems with plumbing FAHW cannot find a emergency plumber waited 2 weeks for them to tell me they did not have one in my area .WANTED me to find one then hire someone have FAHW look at bill then they might refund me minus service charge.Then wait 3 to 4 weeks to get paid.Did to do some advance work finding servicers.

Deborah Harris Helotes, TX

The company they have a contract with for ac and heating, Air Force 1 is horrible! The techs display 0 knowledge, sympathy, or empathy. I had to go to an outside company for repairs. They removed a damaged part, ordered a new part then took 4 unsuccessful visits and I still had to get an outside company to repair my system. Air Force one had the gall to try to sell a product I did not need prior to the repair! Other contractors under them 5 stars then they leave first america. I wonder why..

Linda Moody

The first repair man could not fix it, The second one said he didn't have the part & would order it which would take ten days. It has been over 10 days & NO word frome him .

Phillip Whitaker

poor service on replacement of washer, has taken 3 weeks and still washer not installed. This is after several months of not fixing the original intermittent problem.

Ron mcgowan

They try to make excuses not to fix or replace items even know the arbitrarily should be covered

Craig Helmkamp Eugene, OR

In the last 4 years I have filed 3 claims with First American. EACH time i filed a claim, I received an automated response stating a representative would contact me within 24 hours. Each time I waited for two (2) days and finally had to call them to get a response to my claim, AND on each occasion, It took over three (3) weeks to find a contractor to come out, assess the claim and get a resolution to the problem. First American is extremely hard to reach by telephone.

Kelley Morfoot

I have had 2 service requests made years apart and both times they claimed to not have gotten the request even though the deductible was paid initially. It had to be resubmitted which added days onto the request. Both times the service appointments were made for a random day and time so I had to take time off of work. If they would have consulted about the appointment time I would have scheduled it for my day off which is during the week.

Grandma K

They find any excuse to not cover your part s or things that need replacing

Robert Boyd

Never finished the job that we put in for.

Diane Ripley, TN

I have 2 appliance calls should be one $75 charge. They've charged me $150 and cancelled my dishwasher. I have 2 pool\ spa requests. Again double charged and my pool still green. I've been in the phone, FaceBook and Twitter trying to resolve. Posted comments on my dashboard got no replys. I'm out $300 and nothing for it. My contract up in 8 weeks. If this is still not resolved I'll go elsewhere

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Diane, We would like to apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during the handling of your claims. Upon review, the service call fee issues were taken care of and you were provided with a refund. As such, First American considers this issue handled. Thank you.

Oct. 26th, 2020

Townes

They came out to look at my appliance on 8/21?and it still not repaired.

Raymond Rowell

The derive request are not getting sent to contractor or he's not following thru

john gant Chandler, AZ

When you call expect to be on hold for at least 40 minutes before you get a live person. and if they have to transfer you to another department plan on another 40 minutes. The people that answer the phone are pretty good but their hands are tied on what they can do. A couple of people said that they would get back to me but they never did. One lady told me not to hang up because she wanted solve the problem for me now. She left me on hold for a while but she got me the answers I needed. Bottom line, they have a bunch of good people but probably not enough. If they worked on the weekend or even later to accommodate people on the left coast that would be helpful.

Mr Thomas San Antonio, TX

The timeline was not very good. From waiting on hold to the actual contractor to get in touch with me was to long.

Mandy Matthews Stephenville, TX

After being in our home for 1 week, the hot water heater went out. I called set up a service call online. There was no one locally to service our needs and we went 4 days without hot water. There were multiple calls to the call center, 2 different businesses scheduled, and then conveniently overbooked and didn't bother to call us and tell us they were not coming. It was incredibly frustrating. Repair services do not want to spend 1 hour or more driving (one way) to Stephenville, TX when they can stay in the metroplex and make more money. Please secure local businesses to service the needs of your customers. I gave 2 stars because of the nicest call center representative that tried for almost an hour to locate an alternate provider after we had a no show. He could not locate anyone that was willing to show up soon.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Mandy, We apologize for any inconveniences you may have experienced during the handling of your claim, and thank you for bringing this issue to our attention, as we are always looking for ways to better our service and your feedback is an invaluable part of the process. At this time, our records indicate that the service request for your water heater has been cancelled as the unit has been repaired. Thank you,

Aug. 10th, 2020

Dan Chandler, AZ

The reason I rated them 2 stars is because they left me with NO AC for 5 days in 117 degree weather. 2 young kids a wife and a small dog! No call back or any concern about our safety and health!

Marc Polander

I have been trying to deal with a service request since 2 weeks now and very little to no progress. Most not all of customer service people tell you the same thing as if reading a script. They tell you to call back tomorrow

Steve

Can't reach them by phone without holding for 30-45 minutes and then after talking to the person for a while, got hung up on

David

Poor response to claim resolution. Poor communications

Sandy

I just joined and I needed pool service, the company they sent the technician had a nasty attitude. He was extremely expensive to repair and determined that one issue was preexisting.

Victor

I have been out of air. AC. For 2 weeks. I'd live in Dallas Texas where the temperature average 100 griese each day

Robin Redbreast Las Vegas, NV

I've been with First American Home Warranty for over 16 years. I can tell you in the past I have had positive experiences with this company. This time, however, not so much. My family and I were out of air conditioning for 14 days. This was due 100% to FAHW. 1. The technician they assigned me was here the very next day. 2. There was a substantial out of pocket cost I was not aware of. 3. I asked FAHW if there was anything they could do to help. 4. FAHW suggested a possible solution would be to take a "cash out/buy out". 5. I asked for a cash out quote so I would be able to make an informed decision. 6. I was told this quote had to come from a different department and that could take a few days. 7. I went the next 12 days, pleading, crying, begging for help and/or call backs from anyone in this company explaining I have a 91 year old cancer survivor who was suffering greatly in the desert heat. 8. While they promised to call back with the SWEETEST and most caring sounding phone voices they DID not call back. I called them 58 times over the days. 9. FINALLY I reached someone named Lisa. She was THE ONLY one who helped me. She was actually able to give me the quote everyone else said would take days and days in minutes right over the phone as I waited. On top of that when Lisa said she would call me back... SHE CALLED. When she said she would send me an email... SHE SENT AN EMAIL. If I had gotten Lisa in the beginning my air conditioner would have been fixed (including the time to order the parts) in less than 5 days instead of 14 days. Once Lisa got involved we were able to get the go ahead over to the contractor who had the issue fixed in two days. Lisa is the ONLY reason I gave 2 stars. Had it not been for her I would have given 0 stars. I really don't think FAHW wants their customers to have this type of experience. They need to get Lisa to train the others including the supervisors I spoke with along the way. In the past I have sent FAHW no less than 8 new customers. I will not send anymore of my friends with this type of service.

Larry Hall Pasadena, TX

The agent disconnected my wife for trying to get a clarification from them

WILLIAM SMITH Pensacola, FL

ITS THE SUMMER TIME, ITS HOT AND MY A/C IS OUT,I HAD TO WAIT A WEEK FOR A TECH TO SHOW, THEY SAID THEY DID BUT NO ONE CAME TO THE DOOR,NOW I HAVE TO WAIT ANOTHER WEEK,I WORK SIX DAYS A WEEK AND IT COST ME MONEY TO TAKE A DAY OFF,I HAVE A PHYSICALLY HANDICAPPED ADULT LIVING IN MY HOME AND ITS UNBEARABLE, HELL ITS A BITCH WHEN I CANT EVEN SPEAK TO A REPRESENTATIVE. I AM VERY DISPLEASED AND FEEL THAT IF YOU OR YOUR LOVED ONE WAS IN THIS POSITION YOU WOULD BE TOO..

Steve Montgomery, TX

Needed an AC repair, within a month of moving into our home. Side note: when buying a home with an AC, spend a $100 to get an AC inspection from a reputable HVAC contractor. Most general home inspection firms don’t do a detailed enough inspection of the AC unit (e.g. using an electronic leak detector) to find a leaking coil. If I could review the contractor who did the repair separate from First Am, the contractor would get five stars and First Am would get one star. The problem with First Am is that despite my paying extra to get AC coverage, with a specifically stated $1,500 maximum, the way that First Am “interprets” the contract language resulted in several exclusions that still resulted in my paying $800 for the job. That could have been a lot more if the Lennox warranty on the coil itself wasn’t still in effect. Bottom line - I’ll certainly never use First Am again.

Dale San Jose, CA

Didn't cover air conditioner repair work as I was told by salesperson when signing up.

Matt Binder Lima, OH

They raised my rate for renewal by 30%. I was going to renew but now I’m not.

Kathy Norman Yucca Valley, CA

iT ALWAYS TAKES MORE THAN ONE TECH TO FIX THE PROBLEM.

tia ramsey Greensboro, NC

I made a service request because my A/C was leaking. The first contractor never called me after I made 3 calls. The 2nd contractor came to fix the problem, but it wasn't fixed. The A/C continued to leak causing water damage on the first floor which First American would not cover. Useless policy.

Jami Sims

Well they seem like a good company when you have a problem. It is easy to fill out a form either over the phone or in the website, however there is generally no follow through and they still haven't fixed my heater since probably January at this point. Oh by the way I love in the north east. I hope they fix it by next winter at this rate. They used to be better last year they fixed a few issues really quick. Not sure what changed but hopefully they can get there stuff together.

Steve Gladu

I'm getting scammed by the technicians they choose.

Mohamed

Unable to providers necessary contractors

Scott

Send calls out of country.Relise Covid-19 does not help, this has happen to me before this, can not get information correct.

Manoj Boddupally

They are hiring cheap vendors to review and their goal is to use the equipment until its not usable even though it poses a safety hazard.

Gregg Petties Stockton, CA

Way too expensive for what is covered if you add the roof then it may be worth the price

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you for your review Gregg.

Apr. 8th, 2020

Philip F Ketterle Atascadero, CA

Good day. I am submitting this as a formal complaint based on the inability of your company to fix my Freezer. I initially contacted your company to have my ice makers checked on my Fridge. The technician came out numerous times and fixed the upper freezer and wanted me to wait a reasonable time frame to see if adjusting the temperature would resolve the lower freezer issue. He said give it 30 days and if it is still having issues then call again.. Ok so I did as he told me and you are now charging me $75 for the same issue.. PS in between this time my brother passed away so my main focus was taking care of family first.. Let me know how your going to reimburse me my $75 Thanks

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Philip, In the interest of customer service, First American provided you with a $75.00 service call fee reimbursement. Thank you.

Jan. 9th, 2020

Unhappy customer Fresno, CA

My refrigerator and wash machine went out on Thanksgiving Eve it’s now December 19th and both items are not fixed. Unfortunately repair company was horrible and communication was lacking between First American and A and R repair. I ending up having to buy new refrigerator because unfortunately company couldn’t find a compressor sooner enough or couldn’t give me a date the compressor was to arrive. No one new anything about my wash machine and because I bought from someone who fixed it wrong they will not cover repair or replace. I’ve been a member for over 4year and they will now cover me when I really need them. Disappointed in our relationship.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Ms. Madel, We have attempted to contact you several times regarding your kitchen refrigerator claim but have been unsuccessful in reaching you. Please contact First American at your earliest convenience in order to discuss your concerns. Thank you.

Feb. 14th, 2020

Mike Eide Henderson, NV

My first problem after signing up for their premium coverage. All went well on the first visit by a service technician. There was a part required to fix the problem. A month goes by and the problem comes back. We call the service company to find out where the part is and find out the claim has been denied. When we call FAHW they lie and tell me they left a voice mail after the service. We have no calls from them and no voice mail. We request a technician to be dispatched to fix the problem, even if we have to pay for the repairs. They indicate that once service has been denied they no longer have responsibility and we will have to find our own technician. They also charge an additional $75 fee that we had to call back to get reversed.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Mike, Our records indicate you placed a claim for your kitchen refrigerator not working properly. All Desert Appliances Incorporated reported the thermal shell was deteriorated so the unit was not maintaining temperatures. Please be advised, thermal shells are not covered per your home warranty contract under Kitchen Refrigerator, Not Covered. At this time, your claim is considered closed. Thank you.

Nov. 9th, 2019

Chris North Richland Hills, TX

Not sure why I’m giving them 2 instead of 1 but their phone system is horrible. Every time I have a question I get put on hold for an hour and then get transferred to four different people before hanging up the phone in frustration. Current home I just purchased has a keypad lock on it that is old and doesn’t work. Called to get it changed into an actual key door lock which I wouldn’t think would be such a big problem but they refuse to change the lock only fix the crappy one that’s on it. They literally haven’t helped me in any instance I’ve ever had. Oh and for being AMERICAN home warranty nobody there can speak fluid English and there’s always a language barrier.

Swanson

Coverage is not nearly as well profitted as advertised.