First American Home Warranty

7.8

First American Home Warranty has been an industry leader for over 35 years and has a reputation of providing quality home warranty plans with extensive coverage for homeowners across the nation. The home warranty provider has serviced millions of claims, saving homeowners more than $180 million in covered repairs and replacements.

The company has a large network of prescreened technicians so you don't have to worry about doing your own research and independently finding your own technician. Warranty coverage lasts for one year and monthly payment options are available as well. First American Home Warranty ranked in our list of Top 10 Best Home Warranty Companies of 2019.

The Good

• Decades of Experience and Company Stability
  • Comprehensive Plans
  • Coverage Limits
  • 24/7 Claims Service
  • Online Homeowner Center

Decades of Experience and Company Stability

First American has been providing home warranties since 1984. The home warranty service provider offers coverage to 38 states plus the District of Columbia. Over 35 years of home warranty experience is a good indication of the company’s stability and willingness to provide quality service. Choosing a home warranty company with so much experience could be an additional benefit for homeowners.

Comprehensive Plans

First American Home Warranty currently offers two coverage plans and a variety of additional options for warranty coverage. The monthly cost for a First American Home Warranty plan starts at $28 per month and lasts for one year. The service fee varies by location, but you will typically pay $75 whenever you schedule a repair or replacement with a First American Home Warranty technician. Warranty plan holders can upgrade or expand their warranty plan within the first 30 days of coverage to add on additional systems or appliances.

First American also offers a 30-day review period for new warranty contract holders. Customizable plans are made for homeowners, real estate professionals, as well as network service providers. First American Home Warranty's website allows anyone to receive a sample contract and specific residential warranty pricing within minutes.

First American Home Warranty does not have an age limit on systems and appliances, so you don't have to worry about the company refusing coverage based on this. Warranty coverage for major appliances and systems is as follows (pricing and coverage for protection plans may vary by location):

The Basic Plan: $28 per Month or $336 per Year

• Garage door opener
  • Ductwork
  • Central vacuum system

Optional Coverage

For a fee, you can add additional coverage items to your service contract:

• Central air conditioning (electric) — $9 per month
  • Additional refrigeration — $4 per month
  • Pool/spa equipment — $15 per month
  • Well pump — $7 per month
  • First class upgrade — $9 per month

Coverage Limits

Unlike some home warranty providers, most of First American’s covered items do not carry a specific dollar limit. First American plans do not require a home inspection to be done by a contractor or maintenance records to be retrieved from a repair person for coverage. The service provider also offers extra protection for malfunctions due to lack of maintenance, regular wear and tear, rust, corrosion, and sedimentary build-up. There are no age limits on covered items, and no limit to the number of claims a customer can file.

24/7 Claims Service

No matter the time of day, customers can open a claim. First American offers a 24/7 service request hotline where you can make service calls at any time as well as a user-friendly online customer portal. First American has a nationwide network of workers and prescreens every service contractor and requires them to complete a probationary period to ensure customer satisfaction standards are met through customer survey results.

Online Homeowner Center

First American offers an easy-to-use online homeowner center for all of its customers. From this portal, a customer can open and track their claims, view their contract details, renew their home warranty, and manage communication preferences.

The Bad

• Nationwide Service Unavailable
  • First American Home Warranty Reviews
  • Extra Cost for Air Conditioning Coverage

Nationwide Service Unavailable

First American provides coverage in 38 states and the District of Columbia. There is a tool on its website that allows for a zip code lookup to determine if First American provides coverage for customers in a particular state. Unfortunately, if you are out of First American’s coverage area, you are unable to receive its services.

First American Home Warranty Reviews

First American Home Warranty has some negative reviews highlighting bad customer service, delayed and lengthy response and service time, and hidden fees on appliances. We suggest reading through First American Home Warranty reviews before making a final purchasing decision.

Extra Cost for Air Conditioning Coverage

Many home warranty providers offer air conditioning as part of their premier plan or combo plan, but First American Home Warranty only offers an AC unit as additional coverage with an extra fee you add to your chosen plan. This may be a problem for customers looking to have air conditioning as part of their prearranged plan. However, because the AC unit isn't covered in First American Home Warranty's two main plans, this is what makes the company's warranty cost cheaper than most.

The Bottom Line

With 35+ years of experience and a large network of service providers (each contractor is reviewed and put through a probation period to ensure customer satisfaction), First American Home Warranty has comprehensive protection with high coverage limits for major appliances and systems. With a competitive cost and service call fee and multiple plan options, First American Home Warranty gives you more value for your money and covers customers with flexible payment options for various budgets.

The company offers a basic plan for customers that are looking for more standard coverage, as well as a premier plan for homeowners wanting more robust coverage. Additional add-on items are also available for coverage so consumers can pick and choose other major systems and appliances they want covered. Note that First American Home Warranty only covers the wear and tear of major appliances and systems. Like most home warranty companies, First American does not cover pre-existing conditions.

When compared to other home warranty companies, First American Home Warranty has a competitive monthly cost and service fee. Some warranty providers charge upwards of $600 per year with a $100 service fee.

First American Home Warranty created its home warranty programs with not just homeowners in mind but network service providers and real estate professionals as well. Typically, for whichever home warranty plan you select, the service contract will last for one year.

If you want to learn about what customers think of the company, such as response time, customer service, and quality of repair, check out First American Home Warranty reviews below.

3.9

Patrick Perl San Luis Obispo, CA

Our in-wall plumbing leak was resolved, but then drywall needs to be replaced. FAHW could not source a local contractor, and therefore told me to find my own for reimbursement. I can't find a local contractor, probably for the same reason that FAHW couldn't find a contractor, and now I am getting emails from FAHW saying that if I don't find a contractor soon then FAHW is going to close my claim. Unnecessary pressure on me to try to do something that FAHW couldn't do itself.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Patrick, First American apologizes for any inconvenience you may have experienced during the handling of your claims and thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. We are always looking for ways to better our service and your feedback is an invaluable part of the process. At this time, our records indicate you have been pre-authorized up to $275.00 to hire your own independent contractor to patch up the drywall access created by the plumber. Once you have located your own contractor, please provide with their estimate/invoice for review. Please be advised, First American considers your claim pending. Thank you

Jun. 10th, 2021

Any Day in Texas Corpus Christi, TX

We filed a claim for our AC failing to work. It took 2 days before I even received confirmation that they were working on the claim. I pay extra for the AC coverage. That should be a 24 hour coverage.

Eric Klopman Atlanta, GA

There are a lot of home warranty services with poor reviews. I tried First American Home Warranty because they cover a newly purchase home. I Called 3 times for service over 6 months. 2 of the 3 services were not covered therefore I was forced to contact another repair company and covered the cost. Problem was First American wants you to pay the $75 service fee for each request even when they don't cover the cost of repair. Doesn't make sense to pay their ssrvice fee when they deny the repair and find and pay another repair company. Customer service is difficult at best to communicate with. Hold times are long.

Viren Popli Houston, TX

We got a sellers insurance. One of our ACs is not working . We filed a service request on 6/13 and paid for it online but they didnt allocate a contractor. So we filed a second request on 6/15. Now they gave us a contractor. After waiting for another day for them to contact us, we called the contractor to get an appointment, earliest available date 6/19. No way to speak to anyone or even and email address to write to them. Waiting in the heat for someone to come. Will update how the appointment itself goes.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Viren. Our records show that we dispatched Expert HVAC who repaired a loose wire on your condensing unit. We are aware that you claim has been satisfied and is now closed. Thank you.

Jul. 1st, 2021

M B Denver, CO

The online service call system will send you a technician who cannot work with your type of appliance. When you try to reach F Am to talk about it you'll have to overcome a voice mail system designed to send human beings into spirals of frustrated rage while deflecting all inquiries. Stay on the phone for an hour and you may reach a customer service person with no authority to help you. Keep trying. Eventually they may send someone who can actually fix your oven. It will not be worth the toll on your sanity from dealing with them.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello M B. We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We have sent you a message requesting for additional information.

Jun. 8th, 2021

Maria Peterson Goleta, CA

I just wish my realtor had given me a prepaid Visa card rather than this $600.00 home warranty policy. Getting in touch with them the first time ( on the phone) was painfully slow. You have to go on their website and make an account then getting someone to respond either doesn’t happen or takes forever. They charge a $75.00 fee to show up whether the person can fix the problem or not. In Santa Barbara most of their contracts go through phoenix plumbing and heating out of Santa Maria, more than an hour away. Maybe if they had more plumbers on their contract list it could be better. When my toilet backed up recently and I contacted First American I never got a response, who can wait when it comes to sewage? I called my own plumber, he quickly cleared it for $70.00 and I saved $5.00 by not paying First Americans co-pay!!!

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Maria. We thank you for your feedback. Our records do indicate that when the claim for your toilet was placed online the step to assign a contractor was not completed. It is for the reason service was never provided. Thank you.

May. 28th, 2021

Tip Boulder, CO

I've had the warranty for years (I believe since 2014 or so) and hardly use any of their service (good thing I guess). But my recent service request is a nightmare. It's a toilet leak from my unit (I live in a condo) to my neighbor's downstairs. I understand that I need to get a quote and authorization before the work started. The rep is VERY slow to respond my questions. And in the middle of the claim they switched my rep to someone else! who also does NOT return my calls nor my messages online (why do they have a message portal feature if nobody is checking it?!!). They allowed me to use outside contractor and I am following their required steps to a T. Anyway, now they're having a problem with fixing the drywall of my neighbor's unit because it's not my unit! Well, that's not what I was told earlier. It's a part of the leak problem. If it's within my unit, they would have covered. So, what is the difference!? I asked many times how the drywall will be fixed after the plumber fixed my toilet leak (which he has done that). And the first rep told me that First American will be sending someone to patch the drywall. So, I don't understand why it is a questionable item now. And now again with the calls back and forth... on hold waiting for a supervisor to talk to me and still nothing! For a simple toilet leak the work (not by the plumber but because of the steps I have to follow) takes more than a month!?!?! This is ridiculous!

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Tip. We appreciate your feedback. We have messaged you for additional information.

Apr. 17th, 2021

Deborah Harris Helotes, TX

The company they have a contract with for ac and heating, Air Force 1 is horrible! The techs display 0 knowledge, sympathy, or empathy. I had to go to an outside company for repairs. They removed a damaged part, ordered a new part then took 4 unsuccessful visits and I still had to get an outside company to repair my system. Air Force one had the gall to try to sell a product I did not need prior to the repair! Other contractors under them 5 stars then they leave first america. I wonder why..

Mandy Matthews Stephenville, TX

After being in our home for 1 week, the hot water heater went out. I called set up a service call online. There was no one locally to service our needs and we went 4 days without hot water. There were multiple calls to the call center, 2 different businesses scheduled, and then conveniently overbooked and didn't bother to call us and tell us they were not coming. It was incredibly frustrating. Repair services do not want to spend 1 hour or more driving (one way) to Stephenville, TX when they can stay in the metroplex and make more money. Please secure local businesses to service the needs of your customers. I gave 2 stars because of the nicest call center representative that tried for almost an hour to locate an alternate provider after we had a no show. He could not locate anyone that was willing to show up soon.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Mandy, We apologize for any inconveniences you may have experienced during the handling of your claim, and thank you for bringing this issue to our attention, as we are always looking for ways to better our service and your feedback is an invaluable part of the process. At this time, our records indicate that the service request for your water heater has been cancelled as the unit has been repaired. Thank you,

Aug. 10th, 2020

Kelley Morfoot

I have had 2 service requests made years apart and both times they claimed to not have gotten the request even though the deductible was paid initially. It had to be resubmitted which added days onto the request. Both times the service appointments were made for a random day and time so I had to take time off of work. If they would have consulted about the appointment time I would have scheduled it for my day off which is during the week.

Stephen

The first year I owned my home, they were very good about helping me out and so I renewed it for a the second year. Every time I call, everyone seems very polite and helpful however I don't necessarily feel like my issue gets solved or they have the best people taking care of the issue. I was having plumbing issues and they sent a total of three plumbers out to the house. The first two I found out had no idea what they were talking about and so one of my bathrooms has been in shambles since then until I had a third plumber who knew what he was talking about and we found out that they were all easy fixes so I'm wondering why it took seven months without hot water. I don't feel like they send the most professional contractors out to the house.

Kristi Portland, OR

Communication was horrible, first American blamed the contractor they hired, the contractor blamed first American. 2 months of going back and forth until I ended up just buying a new dishwasher

Linda Moody

The first repair man could not fix it, The second one said he didn't have the part & would order it which would take ten days. It has been over 10 days & NO word frome him .

WILLIAM SMITH Pensacola, FL

ITS THE SUMMER TIME, ITS HOT AND MY A/C IS OUT,I HAD TO WAIT A WEEK FOR A TECH TO SHOW, THEY SAID THEY DID BUT NO ONE CAME TO THE DOOR,NOW I HAVE TO WAIT ANOTHER WEEK,I WORK SIX DAYS A WEEK AND IT COST ME MONEY TO TAKE A DAY OFF,I HAVE A PHYSICALLY HANDICAPPED ADULT LIVING IN MY HOME AND ITS UNBEARABLE, HELL ITS A BITCH WHEN I CANT EVEN SPEAK TO A REPRESENTATIVE. I AM VERY DISPLEASED AND FEEL THAT IF YOU OR YOUR LOVED ONE WAS IN THIS POSITION YOU WOULD BE TOO..

Jami Sims

Well they seem like a good company when you have a problem. It is easy to fill out a form either over the phone or in the website, however there is generally no follow through and they still haven't fixed my heater since probably January at this point. Oh by the way I love in the north east. I hope they fix it by next winter at this rate. They used to be better last year they fixed a few issues really quick. Not sure what changed but hopefully they can get there stuff together.

Phillip Whitaker

poor service on replacement of washer, has taken 3 weeks and still washer not installed. This is after several months of not fixing the original intermittent problem.

Dan Chandler, AZ

The reason I rated them 2 stars is because they left me with NO AC for 5 days in 117 degree weather. 2 young kids a wife and a small dog! No call back or any concern about our safety and health!

Liz Tampa, FL

I have been waiting two months to get my AC fixed ( Service Request #310584906). The contractor that was hired took 3 visits and over a month to figure out what was wrong. My requests to send a technician that was certified on my system were denied multiple times. Now First American has ordered the wrong part twice. During this process I have been hung up on/disconnected from their phone system multiple times. Additionally, ever service representative I speak with has a different story on what is going on. The service representative assigned my case won't return any of my phone calls or emails. Unbelievably bad service.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

First American Home Warranty apologizes for any inconvenience the consumer may be experiencing during the handling of their claim. First American’s records indicate the contractor, Prime Service Incorporated, found an additional failure, of the thermostat after the condenser was replaced. First American has authorized the thermostat replacement and ordered the part accordingly. Once the part is ready for pick up, the contractor will be in contact with the consumer to schedule a mutually convenient appointment for job completion. First American considers this claim pending.

Jan. 15th, 2021

Michael Adams Tacoma, WA

I like my warranty.Took care of appliances fast.Have had problems with plumbing FAHW cannot find a emergency plumber waited 2 weeks for them to tell me they did not have one in my area .WANTED me to find one then hire someone have FAHW look at bill then they might refund me minus service charge.Then wait 3 to 4 weeks to get paid.Did to do some advance work finding servicers.

Armand Lake Worth, FL

I didn't get somebody to my house until three days later and I can't in touch with them because they don't pick up their phone. I ended up paying a hundred and eighty dollars plus the two hundred and eighty dollars I put in the system.

Paul Y.

Some simple cases are OK. But A/C service is not acceptable. There is a company called Expert HVAC, which I have told them is not responsive and overall terrible but they keep sending them. Shouldn't they have learned from my feedback?

Sometimes they're very good and sometimes they're not. One time my refridgerator didn't work and I called them and they said they weren't going to do anything about it. Sometimes they don't think that it's not working. I just wish they didn't give home owners a bad time

john gant Chandler, AZ

When you call expect to be on hold for at least 40 minutes before you get a live person. and if they have to transfer you to another department plan on another 40 minutes. The people that answer the phone are pretty good but their hands are tied on what they can do. A couple of people said that they would get back to me but they never did. One lady told me not to hang up because she wanted solve the problem for me now. She left me on hold for a while but she got me the answers I needed. Bottom line, they have a bunch of good people but probably not enough. If they worked on the weekend or even later to accommodate people on the left coast that would be helpful.

Karyn Cotton Hesperia, CA

Not following through with claim. Slow response & not getting back to me to keep me informed

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Karyn. We are sorry to hear about this. We have messaged you for additional information.

Jun. 16th, 2021

Edward Paye Philadelphia, PA

Have been a customer for more then ten years and First American has become horrible.

Juanita Santa Rosa, CA

I have been waitin almost two weeks to have two problems to be resolved. They took my money right away though.

Anthony Rivera South Jordan, UT

Automated answering machine, then IF you get a live person very unprofessional in attitude and language barrier!!

Caroline ,

Very disappointed 😞 After renewing policy I made claim on hot water tank. A simple hot water tank replacement ended up costing me a lot of money. I ended up paying $425 out of pocket.

Marc Polander

I have been trying to deal with a service request since 2 weeks now and very little to no progress. Most not all of customer service people tell you the same thing as if reading a script. They tell you to call back tomorrow

Sandy

I just joined and I needed pool service, the company they sent the technician had a nasty attitude. He was extremely expensive to repair and determined that one issue was preexisting.

AJ

Poor quality technicians sent to the home and lack necessary knowledge or skills to makes necessary repairs and require multiple visits or they cant tell the difference between normal wear and tear versus breakage

Marilou Pearson

I have waited over a month for a refund. I have called 3 times and have been told my refund has been requested and should be back in my account within a certain number of days. It is still not back in my account.

The companies they use send technicians who do not know what's going on, 2 different technicians gave me 2 different answers as to why my refrigerator was acting up. Far worse than going to the local mechanic.

Ronald

The repairman was supposed to come and fix my refrigerator but I have yet to hear from him. I was without a refrigerator for three solid weeks the first time and now I've been out again for a week.

Vitalii Manteca, CA

True and fair feedback, integrity and truthworthiness

Craig Helmkamp Eugene, OR

In the last 4 years I have filed 3 claims with First American. EACH time i filed a claim, I received an automated response stating a representative would contact me within 24 hours. Each time I waited for two (2) days and finally had to call them to get a response to my claim, AND on each occasion, It took over three (3) weeks to find a contractor to come out, assess the claim and get a resolution to the problem. First American is extremely hard to reach by telephone.

Diane Ripley, TN

I have 2 appliance calls should be one $75 charge. They've charged me $150 and cancelled my dishwasher. I have 2 pool\ spa requests. Again double charged and my pool still green. I've been in the phone, FaceBook and Twitter trying to resolve. Posted comments on my dashboard got no replys. I'm out $300 and nothing for it. My contract up in 8 weeks. If this is still not resolved I'll go elsewhere

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Diane, We would like to apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during the handling of your claims. Upon review, the service call fee issues were taken care of and you were provided with a refund. As such, First American considers this issue handled. Thank you.

Oct. 26th, 2020

Robin Redbreast Las Vegas, NV

I've been with First American Home Warranty for over 16 years. I can tell you in the past I have had positive experiences with this company. This time, however, not so much. My family and I were out of air conditioning for 14 days. This was due 100% to FAHW. 1. The technician they assigned me was here the very next day. 2. There was a substantial out of pocket cost I was not aware of. 3. I asked FAHW if there was anything they could do to help. 4. FAHW suggested a possible solution would be to take a "cash out/buy out". 5. I asked for a cash out quote so I would be able to make an informed decision. 6. I was told this quote had to come from a different department and that could take a few days. 7. I went the next 12 days, pleading, crying, begging for help and/or call backs from anyone in this company explaining I have a 91 year old cancer survivor who was suffering greatly in the desert heat. 8. While they promised to call back with the SWEETEST and most caring sounding phone voices they DID not call back. I called them 58 times over the days. 9. FINALLY I reached someone named Lisa. She was THE ONLY one who helped me. She was actually able to give me the quote everyone else said would take days and days in minutes right over the phone as I waited. On top of that when Lisa said she would call me back... SHE CALLED. When she said she would send me an email... SHE SENT AN EMAIL. If I had gotten Lisa in the beginning my air conditioner would have been fixed (including the time to order the parts) in less than 5 days instead of 14 days. Once Lisa got involved we were able to get the go ahead over to the contractor who had the issue fixed in two days. Lisa is the ONLY reason I gave 2 stars. Had it not been for her I would have given 0 stars. I really don't think FAHW wants their customers to have this type of experience. They need to get Lisa to train the others including the supervisors I spoke with along the way. In the past I have sent FAHW no less than 8 new customers. I will not send anymore of my friends with this type of service.

Steve Montgomery, TX

Needed an AC repair, within a month of moving into our home. Side note: when buying a home with an AC, spend a $100 to get an AC inspection from a reputable HVAC contractor. Most general home inspection firms don’t do a detailed enough inspection of the AC unit (e.g. using an electronic leak detector) to find a leaking coil. If I could review the contractor who did the repair separate from First Am, the contractor would get five stars and First Am would get one star. The problem with First Am is that despite my paying extra to get AC coverage, with a specifically stated $1,500 maximum, the way that First Am “interprets” the contract language resulted in several exclusions that still resulted in my paying $800 for the job. That could have been a lot more if the Lennox warranty on the coil itself wasn’t still in effect. Bottom line - I’ll certainly never use First Am again.

Philip F Ketterle Atascadero, CA

Good day. I am submitting this as a formal complaint based on the inability of your company to fix my Freezer. I initially contacted your company to have my ice makers checked on my Fridge. The technician came out numerous times and fixed the upper freezer and wanted me to wait a reasonable time frame to see if adjusting the temperature would resolve the lower freezer issue. He said give it 30 days and if it is still having issues then call again.. Ok so I did as he told me and you are now charging me $75 for the same issue.. PS in between this time my brother passed away so my main focus was taking care of family first.. Let me know how your going to reimburse me my $75 Thanks

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Philip, In the interest of customer service, First American provided you with a $75.00 service call fee reimbursement. Thank you.

Jan. 9th, 2020

Unhappy customer Fresno, CA

My refrigerator and wash machine went out on Thanksgiving Eve it’s now December 19th and both items are not fixed. Unfortunately repair company was horrible and communication was lacking between First American and A and R repair. I ending up having to buy new refrigerator because unfortunately company couldn’t find a compressor sooner enough or couldn’t give me a date the compressor was to arrive. No one new anything about my wash machine and because I bought from someone who fixed it wrong they will not cover repair or replace. I’ve been a member for over 4year and they will now cover me when I really need them. Disappointed in our relationship.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Ms. Madel, We have attempted to contact you several times regarding your kitchen refrigerator claim but have been unsuccessful in reaching you. Please contact First American at your earliest convenience in order to discuss your concerns. Thank you.

Feb. 14th, 2020

Mike Eide Henderson, NV

My first problem after signing up for their premium coverage. All went well on the first visit by a service technician. There was a part required to fix the problem. A month goes by and the problem comes back. We call the service company to find out where the part is and find out the claim has been denied. When we call FAHW they lie and tell me they left a voice mail after the service. We have no calls from them and no voice mail. We request a technician to be dispatched to fix the problem, even if we have to pay for the repairs. They indicate that once service has been denied they no longer have responsibility and we will have to find our own technician. They also charge an additional $75 fee that we had to call back to get reversed.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Mike, Our records indicate you placed a claim for your kitchen refrigerator not working properly. All Desert Appliances Incorporated reported the thermal shell was deteriorated so the unit was not maintaining temperatures. Please be advised, thermal shells are not covered per your home warranty contract under Kitchen Refrigerator, Not Covered. At this time, your claim is considered closed. Thank you.

Nov. 9th, 2019

Chris North Richland Hills, TX

Not sure why I’m giving them 2 instead of 1 but their phone system is horrible. Every time I have a question I get put on hold for an hour and then get transferred to four different people before hanging up the phone in frustration. Current home I just purchased has a keypad lock on it that is old and doesn’t work. Called to get it changed into an actual key door lock which I wouldn’t think would be such a big problem but they refuse to change the lock only fix the crappy one that’s on it. They literally haven’t helped me in any instance I’ve ever had. Oh and for being AMERICAN home warranty nobody there can speak fluid English and there’s always a language barrier.

Melissa Bradley Huntington Beach, CA

First they are getting 2 stars because they actually do communicate with me in a timely manner. However, their customer service sucks and the contractors they send out are incompetent. First about 4 months ago, I submitted a claim online that my dryer was having issues making extremely loud squealing noise. I was charged the $75 service fee. They sent a very nice man out to fix it. I thought it was all fixed. Then last month it starts doing the exact same thing. And my washer happened to die on me at the same time. Put in claim number 2. THis time the company they send out is here MAYBE 10 minutes (in that time he always used my restroom) didn't even look at the dryer or turn it on, tells me my whole front panel on the washer needs to be replaced and I will be charged extra for it being a stackable. WHAT??? I call First American, was told nothing would be extra as the $75 covers everything. a few days go by, the contractor does not return any of my calls. First American calls me and states they are ordering the parts for my washer, but the dryer is not covered. They claim "noise" is not an issue. WHAT????? Both time I explained the issue I was having and they had no problem charging me both times for the $75 service charge knowing they wouldn't cover "noise"? Mind you the dryer is not usable due to how extremely loud it is. Now they call me and tell me the contractor needs me to move the dryer from the washer (they are stackable) before they will schedule to come. Now I have to do part of their job for them? I'm a woman by myself and have to figure out how to get the dryer down before they come out? THey wouldn't even call me they will only talk to First American yet I am the one they need to schedule when they will come out. First American has not been a help whatsoever with this. THey use very unprofessional contractors, and they things at you last minute like this. Be very cautious of them.

Nathan H. Louisville, KY

**READ THE CONTRACT** I have had FAHW for 3 years. I've had a claim each of the years. First year was just the dryer(minor issue). Customer service = good Year two was the dishwasher, which was replaced. A quick note about this claim. ********************************************* ***Do not just accept the offer to replace*** ********************************************* You need to research the replacement item before accepting. FAHW tried to sneek by with replacing my dishwasher with one that was half the capacity and efficiency. I refused, and they gave me another offer 2 days later which after researching I accepted. My HVAC was also having issues which took them 2 weeks to fix. Customer service = OK On this third year, my HVAC broke down again. This time it needed to be replaced. It took a week and a half to diagnose the problem and as I am writing this it is still broken. My HVAC has been out for more than a month. During this whole process I have been calling and emailing with both FAHW and the contractor they selected. It took me a whole week to squeeze the info out of FAHW about the replacement equipment. Once the equipment was ordered, they told me 2-3 days. In actuallity it has taken 2 weeks. If you use FAHW always get info in writing. I had them send me emails with the info. I've finally gotten a scheduled installation date after 2 months. The problem has always been with the warranty company, never the contractor. Customer service = Bad A quick note about the customer service. Everytime I called, they would never have the info I needed. They would have to call around in their own company to get info from others. The last time I called, they had info, but it was outdated info from when I called 2 weeks ago and they just "assumed" is was right.

CARLOTTA MANEICE Meridianville, AL

We renewed our second year with First American Warrant and the service this time has been horrible. We have had a problem with our Washing Machine and the GE vendor contracted by 1st American dialed the wrong number to schedule an appointment, ordered parts for the washing machine that was not needed and left at our home. The final straw was throughout this entire process the 1st American Home Warranty Customer Service Representatives processes in getting a report from the GE Vendor, answering questions about the delay in repair, and/or replacement was insufficient and at times they were downright rude! Their answer to our situation was consistently the following, "we are waiting for a report", "they have 48 business hours to comply, " a supervisor will tell you the same thing," and "there is nothing we can do at this time." I put in a request to cancel my service and find another home warranty company.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Carlotta. We are aware that cash payment in lieu of the replacement of our clothes washer has been accepted. Please allow seven to ten business days for the processing and delivery of your check. Thank you.

Jun. 6th, 2019

Fran Charleston, WV

My daughter had coverage with First American Home Warranty but cancelled, thank goodness. I live with her and I paid the $95.00 deductible each time for more than 5 or 6 calls for the refrigerator. Ice maker would not work about 3 days after the repairman left. And he even told me once it needed to be cashed out. We have used ice trays for a year now & I am sick of it. FMHW WON!!!! With the $95.00 I have put out, we could have bought a frig. In the freezer right now, the ice cream is half soft. I had to throw out all the food in the other side once until they got a repairman. All I can say to others "Good Luck".

Mike Greensboro, NC

Three things to look out for. In my area they don’t have enough contractors, so you might have to wait several day to get Someone to come out and take a look at your problem. Once they diagnose the problem it may take 3 to 4 weeks to repair, if parts are needed. And when you’re waiting for a contractor, the window they give you maybe 8am in the morning to 6pm (Sears home Repairs) in the evening.

John Doster Kingman, AZ

Just paid $600 (plus $75 for the initial call) for a repair that should have been at least partially covered. First American Home Warranty did not notify me that the job had been denied. When contacted, I was put on with a "customer service representative" who was difficult to understand and seemed unable to express herself. Kept me on the phone for several minutes while she did something on a computer to the point that I had to ask if she was still there. Certainly will not renew.

Larry Newberry La Quinta, CA

First American Home Warranty will eventually repair your unit. However they will delay action until they run out of lies. Each time you speak with a rep you get a different answer. At the present time we are debating if our toilet is covered under the plan. This has been going on since Dec 6th and one day it is covered and the next day it isn't. The only thing that is prompt with this company is the date they withdraw the money from your bank account. They never miss a date.