First American Home Warranty

8.1

First American Home Warranty has been an industry leader for over 35 years and has a reputation of providing quality home warranty plans with extensive coverage for homeowners across the nation. The home warranty provider has serviced millions of claims, saving homeowners more than $180 million in covered repairs and replacements.

The company has a large network of prescreened technicians so you don't have to worry about doing your own research and independently finding your own technician. Warranty coverage lasts for one year and monthly payment options are available as well. First American Home Warranty ranked in our list of Top 10 Best Home Warranty Companies of 2019.

The Good

• Decades of Experience and Company Stability
  • Comprehensive Plans
  • Coverage Limits
  • 24/7 Claims Service
  • Online Homeowner Center

Decades of Experience and Company Stability

First American has been providing home warranties since 1984. The home warranty service provider offers coverage to 38 states plus the District of Columbia. Over 35 years of home warranty experience is a good indication of the company’s stability and willingness to provide quality service. Choosing a home warranty company with so much experience could be an additional benefit for homeowners.

Comprehensive Plans

First American Home Warranty currently offers two coverage plans and a variety of additional options for warranty coverage. The monthly cost for a First American Home Warranty plan starts at $28 per month and lasts for one year. The service fee varies by location, but you will typically pay $75 whenever you schedule a repair or replacement with a First American Home Warranty technician. Warranty plan holders can upgrade or expand their warranty plan within the first 30 days of coverage to add on additional systems or appliances.

First American also offers a 30-day review period for new warranty contract holders. Customizable plans are made for homeowners, real estate professionals, as well as network service providers. First American Home Warranty's website allows anyone to receive a sample contract and specific residential warranty pricing within minutes.

First American Home Warranty does not have an age limit on systems and appliances, so you don't have to worry about the company refusing coverage based on this. Warranty coverage for major appliances and systems is as follows (pricing and coverage for protection plans may vary by location):

The Basic Plan: $28 per Month or $336 per Year

• Garage door opener
  • Ductwork
  • Central vacuum system

Optional Coverage

For a fee, you can add additional coverage items to your service contract:

• Central air conditioning (electric) — $9 per month
  • Additional refrigeration — $4 per month
  • Pool/spa equipment — $15 per month
  • Well pump — $7 per month
  • First class upgrade — $9 per month

Coverage Limits

Unlike some home warranty providers, most of First American’s covered items do not carry a specific dollar limit. First American plans do not require a home inspection to be done by a contractor or maintenance records to be retrieved from a repair person for coverage. The service provider also offers extra protection for malfunctions due to lack of maintenance, regular wear and tear, rust, corrosion, and sedimentary build-up. There are no age limits on covered items, and no limit to the number of claims a customer can file.

24/7 Claims Service

No matter the time of day, customers can open a claim. First American offers a 24/7 service request hotline where you can make service calls at any time as well as a user-friendly online customer portal. First American has a nationwide network of workers and prescreens every service contractor and requires them to complete a probationary period to ensure customer satisfaction standards are met through customer survey results.

Online Homeowner Center

First American offers an easy-to-use online homeowner center for all of its customers. From this portal, a customer can open and track their claims, view their contract details, renew their home warranty, and manage communication preferences.

The Bad

• Nationwide Service Unavailable
  • First American Home Warranty Reviews
  • Extra Cost for Air Conditioning Coverage

Nationwide Service Unavailable

First American provides coverage in 38 states and the District of Columbia. There is a tool on its website that allows for a zip code lookup to determine if First American provides coverage for customers in a particular state. Unfortunately, if you are out of First American’s coverage area, you are unable to receive its services.

First American Home Warranty Reviews

First American Home Warranty has some negative reviews highlighting bad customer service, delayed and lengthy response and service time, and hidden fees on appliances. We suggest reading through First American Home Warranty reviews before making a final purchasing decision.

Extra Cost for Air Conditioning Coverage

Many home warranty providers offer air conditioning as part of their premier plan or combo plan, but First American Home Warranty only offers an AC unit as additional coverage with an extra fee you add to your chosen plan. This may be a problem for customers looking to have air conditioning as part of their prearranged plan. However, because the AC unit isn't covered in First American Home Warranty's two main plans, this is what makes the company's warranty cost cheaper than most.

The Bottom Line

With 35+ years of experience and a large network of service providers (each contractor is reviewed and put through a probation period to ensure customer satisfaction), First American Home Warranty has comprehensive protection with high coverage limits for major appliances and systems. With a competitive cost and service call fee and multiple plan options, First American Home Warranty gives you more value for your money and covers customers with flexible payment options for various budgets.

The company offers a basic plan for customers that are looking for more standard coverage, as well as a premier plan for homeowners wanting more robust coverage. Additional add-on items are also available for coverage so consumers can pick and choose other major systems and appliances they want covered. Note that First American Home Warranty only covers the wear and tear of major appliances and systems. Like most home warranty companies, First American does not cover pre-existing conditions.

When compared to other home warranty companies, First American Home Warranty has a competitive monthly cost and service fee. Some warranty providers charge upwards of $600 per year with a $100 service fee.

First American Home Warranty created its home warranty programs with not just homeowners in mind but network service providers and real estate professionals as well. Typically, for whichever home warranty plan you select, the service contract will last for one year.

If you want to learn about what customers think of the company, such as response time, customer service, and quality of repair, check out First American Home Warranty reviews below.

Call our recommended rep over at First American Home Warranty below.

3.9

Kalyl Traore Chesapeake, VA

I signup for my appliances protection, and had an issue with my microwave since 24 February 2021. I am still waiting to today.

victor espinoza Tucson, AZ

This company is horrible. They take their time to fix anything and then try to rip you off with swapping a $2500 dryer for a $750 one. No way, it's only 1.5 years old! On top of that they never completely repaired our fridge. The company that came out to fix it stated that it needs to be replaced, First American closed the claim. After many calls nothing happened. Stay away!

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Victor. Our records indicate you placed a claim on March 9, 2021 for your clothes dryer which does not stop spinning, even when turned off. First American dispatched an independent contractor, Arizona’s Heating and Cooling Doctor LLC, to diagnose the failure. The contractor reported the control board and two relays have burned out and recommended replacement of the parts. First American attempted to locate the parts, however, the parts are no longer available. On April 6, 2021, First American offered a replacement dryer as the parts for repair are not available. Per your home warranty contract, First American will replace with equipment of similar features, capacity and efficiency however does not match brand, color or dimensions. You declined the replacement offer and requested a cash payment. Per the home warranty contract, First American may offer a cash payment in lieu of repair or replacement at the company’s negotiated rates with suppliers which may be less than retail. On April 9, 2021, you accepted the cash payment in lieu of replacement. Please allow 7-10 business days for the processing and delivery of the check. Please be advised, First American considers your claim closed. Thank you.

Apr. 9th, 2021

Sara Becker Newbury Park, CA

Very poor service. Going on two months without a microwave

Jaclyn Suh Fresno, CA

2 months later, it is still not repaired

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Jaclyn, First American apologizes for any inconvenience you may have experienced during the handling of your claim and thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. We are always looking for ways to better our service and your feedback is an invaluable part of the process. At this time, our records indicate that the service contractor is scheduled to repair your refrigerator on April 14, 2021 between 8-12pm. Thank you,

Apr. 9th, 2021

Dr Sinha Houston, TX

Last 2 plumbing problems were not solved and found a way to refuse

Mike Arlington, TX

Your monthly rate is high--have not received your promotional gift card, after almost 5 months. FAHW has no compassion for its loyal, faithful customers, in my opinion, all FAHW concerns is to make money, and not fair customer treatment relationship.

RV Corpus Christi, TX

Failed to provide adequate services and quality technicians

Santiago Ruiz de Gopegui Quesada Greenville, SC

After a cost of over $600 for the home Warranty and paying a $75 service fee, two weeks later they tell me they are not covering what the contractor has told them needs to be done to have the washing machine working properly since water backs up trough the drain tube into my laundry room floor. Why do i need a Home Warranty if they charge me a service fee and a high year fee and still don't fix the problem? Don't get caught in this scam. Guess that's why they need to advertise themselves all the time making promises and offers they do not cover.

Fedak ,

Horrible experience don't waste your money, I am paying monthly the dues but when it came to my first claim, I had to pay 75$ for every single thing that is not working in my stove because it's different clain This is SCAM HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE, DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY like i did, no good customer service, I give them zero star

Missy Renee Aptos, CA

Is negative a option? This is the worst company with the worst service. My oven has been broken for 5 months. I have spent hours on hold on phone they never call back they hire useless technicians. Its a complete rip off. Check consumer affairs they have countless complaints against them. They even have a face book page dedicated to the fact that they are a rip off... terrible customer service, they dont follow through with there contract that says they will replace the appliance if unable to repair

Rick Nakagaki Orting, WA

I’ve got 2 quotes and I’ll take the lower price but they won’t call me back!

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Rick, First American apologizes for any inconvenience you may have experienced during the handling of your claim and thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. We are always looking for ways to better our service and your feedback is an invaluable part of the process. Our records indicate that your garage door opener claim was cancelled as your independent contractor repaired the unit. Please be advised, First American considers your claim closed. Thank you.

Mar. 3rd, 2021

Bobby Keith Johnson City, TN

I have been paying 59.50 month for approximately 5 years, in the event that I would be protected! So far I have only had a few small problems taken care of which I paid 75.00 for each call. I filed a claim a couple of years ago on my duct work which ended costing me 700.00 out of pocket. December 31st 2020 I filed a claim on our kitchen stove. The tech came out and said he had to order 2 parts for the stove. After many conversations with First American, I was promised about 3 weeks ago that they would replace it! They are still just talking and NOTHING IS BEING DONE! My wife and I are beyond livid! We've been without a stove for months now!!! I continue to get the run around ! They didnt want to replace my stove because of my manufacturers warrenty but im being told they cannot get the parts! My contract with First American Warranty reads repair or replace!!! They dont have to beg me to pay them every month but I certainly feel as though im begging them to hold up their end!!!!

Jeannie Llewellyn Palo Alto, CA

Hard to communicate and get my request done quickly

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Jeannie. We do apologize for any inconveniences you may have experienced. We do show you have accepted the clothes washer. Thank you.

Feb. 26th, 2021

TexasJoe Cypress, TX

I just cancelled the service. Had a pipe break and was told it would not be covered as it was due to freezing. Also when they have replaced any broken items the replace with the cheapest bottom of the line brands that soon break again. Will just bank the $58 per month I was paying them and cover the repairs myself from the savings. Don't buy this warranty.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi TexasJoe. Our contract provides coverage of system and appliances that fail through normal wear and tear. Pipes due to freeze are not covered. You may refer to your home warranty contract for the items listed as covered. Thank you.

Feb. 24th, 2021

Deonte Dawson Lincolnton, NC

I am currently not impressed with the Home Warranty company. The current screened technician provides no details on the parts ordered or when they are scheduled to arrive. First American only allows you to contact them through telephone and even then it is hard to locate the proper department for help.

Ehorton Houston, TX

Terrible company. Terrible customer service. They sent a used motor for our dishwasher. Even the contractor sent by them to install it, said it was used and they argued that it was not and wouldn’t buy a new one. Terrible customer service. A contractor came out for our pool heater and said the heater rusted out and needed to be replaced. I never heard another word from anyone for 3 weeks. I tried calling the contractor and they would never call me back. I logged into my account and it said the request was closed. After holding on the phone for an hour, they said the claim was denied because there wasn’t a gas regulator on the unit. We just bought the house and had the pool inspected when purchasing and there was no mention of this, plus the heater had worked for 3 months. They still denied the claim and would not give me a copy of the contractor’s report.

Zafar khan ,

Our hot water heater broke They sent two technicians, birth said they couldn't fix it for a month. How ridiculous? Don't buy this warranty. They are useless!!!!!!! NO customer service either!!!!

Steve Ross Corona del Mar, CA

I have yet to have First American agree to cover anything of any consequence. I've had three service calls on my HVAC system, and even though I pay extra for the coverage (and in fact only maintained the overall coverage because the HVAC units are aging) each time the contractor assigned has spent more time trying to find a reason not to cover a repair or replacement than they have on the problem itself. A condensor leak was due to "environmental conditions" - I live by the ocean so I'm not sure how salt air is a surprising or exculsionary condition. After replacing the condensor out of my own pocket there was an issue with the heat pump coil - a completely different component that is located inside the house - and that is also not being covered. Previously I was refused service on a bidet which is integrated into our master bathroom toilet. I had to explain to the call center what a bidet was and how it was a component of the toilet. After multiple phone calls I finally gave up and had the unit serviced by a local contractor (and it turned out to be an issue with the toilet rather than the bidet component). Every service event ends up as an argument about coverage - clearly there is a powerful disincentive for a contractor to approve a replacement unit. First American's entire system seems to built upon the premise that nothing is ever actually covered under their policy - unless you can prove otherwise. In other words, if you are counting on your First American plan to cover any major item, don't. You are far better off to have a reputable local contractor deal with any issues. Their HOW plan is a frustrating waste of money.

anita morrison Colorado Springs, CO

In a very poor situation with First American, Poor coverage for existing claim.

Veronica Camacho North Hills, CA

They didn't cover my electrical problem, they give you false informarmation to what's covered in the warranty

LaTonya Farmer

On top of you never can get anyone on the line, customer service sucks. They're very limited to what they cover; and charges regardless of your dissatisfaction.

Jeff Northridge, CA

Poor vendors, no follow-up on service, 45 minute wait times on the phone.

Richard Spiringer Las Vegas, NV

denied first claim after being with them awhile

Damien Murrieta, CA

Customer service was not professional, they lack transparency and communication and service was poor

Matthew Moore Virginia Beach, VA

Slow to fix any claims. I have waited over 30 days for repairs on multiple claims. They will replace only one small component at a time no matter how many failures a single piece of equipment has. If your A/C or heater goes out expect your home to be in the 90s or 40s depending on the season. Calls are not answered. Messages are not returned. Find another home warranty company! Do not sign up for this service!

Lord Wolin Woodland Hills, CA

First American is very good at making the sale and promising that it will pay for claims. BUT, once you make a claim forget about it. 1. First American will deny the claim. 2. You can never talk to anyone. 3. First American unscrupulous and crooked contractors Do yourself a favor and use another home warranty company. Why pay to be aggravated?

Debbie Koss Highland, CA

Impossible to get a qualified person on the phone

Summer Rhorer Irvine, CA

What a terrible experience. It feels like they try to make you jump through so many hoops to frustrate you to the point that you don't even want to deal with them and just give up on their service (which is what I did). The furnace in the home we purchased went out. The sellers purchased a warranty through First American. We are in the colder months and they have dragged this out for so many weeks. The adults in the house can survive, but my two toddlers are always cold. They have zero sense of urgency, no empathy or desire to fix the issue. I always have to call them- they never respond through the messaging system and each time I call it is at least an hour wait on hold. They are a bureaucratic mess, with so many departments and approvals and steps. It has been 5 weeks since I opened my claim and I still have no solution. Also, the HVAC contractor they sent was unprofessional, slow and I had no confidence in them. They never answer their phone or respond to messages. I will never in a million years recommend First American.

Vee Oberoi San Jose, CA

This service is awful, and I do not recommend it to anyone. I have been waiting 5 days now for a service request to be fulfilled. They claim 24 hours but it’s not true, you don’t get what you pay for with them. After waiting approx 1 hour to get on the phone with someone, they proceed to go through a list of contractors to help with your problem. Well, my operator went through the whole list and said no one was answering or could help me. She proceeded to put me on hold for a reimbursement program where I would be reimbursed for hiring my own private person to help me. But when she put me on hold, she hung up the line. This company is awful, please look into other ones and save yourself the money and time!

Thomas E Fulmore

Job incomplete. Freezer is still leaking. Rubber not closing the door

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Thomas, We would like to apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during the handling of your kitchen refrigerator claim. Upon review, you confirmed the kitchen refrigerator was repaired on or around January 4, 2021. As such, First American considers your claim closed. Thank you.

Mar. 11th, 2021

Silver

getting the run around on trying to find out what I had to pay for.

Vanessa L Lewis

I've called for home service on my electrical outlet 2 months ago & they haven't showed yet.

Marilyn Benton, AR

I turned in a work order for my microwave oven about two and a half weeks ago. After waiting a week for an appointment for the service tech from Sears to fix it, he came said he could fix it but he wasn't going to because he didn't feel comfortable taking it down and putting it back up. He left without doing a thing. So I called 1st American again. They had a service tech come out almost a week later from another company. The new Tech said he could fix it and he didn't mind taking it down and putting it back up, but he would have to write a report and see if they would pay for the part it needs. So now 2 days later I called 1st American again to see if they authorized the part. Today is Tuesday. The customer service agent told me to call back Friday because it had to have time to go through the authorization process. This is ridiculous. Friday it will be almost 3 weeks since I first turned in the work order. And to add to this complaint. Every time I call I spend close to an hour holding on to talk to someone, then I get hung up on. I call back and hold another 30 minutes to talk to an agent. This has happened every singe time I call. So far I have had a terrible experience with First American. I do not recommend them.

Lucian Roark Houston, TX

It has now been another week with no activity. No replacement of parts. No repair. Voicemails and messages with no response. We are almost at 2 months with no heat, freezing temperatures, and an infant at home. The entire thing is a scam. They take your money, make you pay for the $75 service calls, then reject the repair, are unable to diagnose, or reroute you. They asked us to source our own contractor after a month of not being able to get one out. Then they rejected reimbursement, even though they had previously provided an e-mail authorizing reimbursement. We have spent hours on the phone, complained to the BBB (of which they have a B rating and 2.98 review rating) We are out hundreds of dollars, in addition to the cost of service calls, and still have no resolution. Meanwhile they fail to respond or take action, regardless of the impact to our safety and living condition, and they "can't verify the repair is needed" even they can't get it to work, and their contractor is admittedly unable to diagnose the issue.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Lucian, We would like to apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during the handling of your heating claim. Our records indicate you were provided with a cash payment of $3526.00 in lieu of the furnace replacement. The check was mailed on January 7, 2021. At this time, your claim is considered closed. Thank you.

Mar. 16th, 2021

Timothy & Melissa Longstreth

Largely mislead by lending agents who handled our account

Alejandra

They come out you pay and then you have to pay hundreds to thousands more it's a scam!

Anthony Munoz Merced, CA

have a leaking faucet in the kitchen paid my $75 to first American Home Warranty. Plumber comes out and tells me I need a new faucet which I already knew, I had to come out of pocket to purchase a new faucet. First American Home Warranty tells me they'll only give me a low quality faucet for replacement. This is a rip-off my $75 is only good for the plumbing charge to show up. When my home warranty is up I'll be going to a different company.

Melisa

customer service is BAD.. No follow up and my issues are still not resolved. Oh you bet they are getting there monthly payment

Brenda

My first occasion to use my new home warranty has been a huge disappointment.. my microwave stopped working in 11/15 andI immediately reported it and was told the claim would be filed... which it was and in 36 hours Sears sent an email that Sears service department would be ti my home on DECEMBER 29....6 WEEKS AWAY!!! to repair a microwave!! I called FAHW again yesterday to question the time stated and was told Sears would call within 4 hours... 2 days later, I'm still waiting!!!

William forrest

My roof did NOT get fixed and now it started snowing here.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello. Thank you for your feedback. Have a great day.

Nov. 18th, 2020

Ffej noselrac

Poor service slow service and Claims are not paid

Robert Austin Santa Rosa, CA

Terrible service and poor communication. Still waiting after 2 months to have our dishwasher replace and oven fixed, and we still don't have firm dates. Many, many calls to customer service have not resolved the problem. We will never use this company again

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Robert, First American apologizes for any inconvenience you may have experienced during the handling of your claim and thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. We are always looking for ways to better our service and your feedback is an invaluable part of the process. At this time, our records indicate that the new dishwasher was delivered on November 24, 2020 and is in process of being installed by GE Sales. In regards to your oven, our records indicate that At Bay Appliance is waiting to receive the parts needed to complete the needed repairs. Once the parts are received, At Bay Appliance will contact you directly to schedule a mutually convenient appointment to complete repairs. Please be advised, First American considers your claim pending. Thank you,

Nov. 24th, 2020

Lynda

Poor customer service and poor timely repairs. Limited resources for repairs.

Carrie Whittaker

I now have been waiting for almost 4 weeks for service on the stackable washer!! Terrible service!!!

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Carrie, We would like to apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during the handling of your claim. Upon review, the clothes washer has been repaired and is currently working properly. As such, your claim is considered closed. Thank you.

Dec. 8th, 2020

Gwenetta Blackwell Greer Eloy, AZ

I am disappointed with the service provided by this company. They do not vet their companies, I was assigned four companies before someone came out to look at an electrical problem which could have caused a fire. My claim was denied even though I sent a finding by a reputable Phoenix highlighting my problem. I would not recommend First American to anyone.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Gwenetta, We would like to apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during the handling of your electrical claim. Please be advised, we contacted your electrician who recommended replacing the breakers due to age. However, they confirmed there were no failures with the breakers in your home. As such, First American did not authorize a replacement because there was no existing failure. At this time, your claim is considered closed. Thank you.

Mar. 11th, 2021

Wendy ,

Read The small print before you renew your warranty with First American Home Warranty. I was told that appliances were covered under my plan, as it turns out your MAJOR appliances are NOT covered, such as your refrigerator, washer, dryer, but your microwave is.

Lauren Payne Houston, TX

I have been dealing with a claims issue for weeks. The staff are extremely rude, rarely answer or return calls or messages, come up with new excuses not to cover at every turn, outright lie, and overall provide egregious and borderline fraudulent customer service. Their technicians will make the laziest & conveniently not-covered 'diagnoses' which means you have to call them back repeatedly (charging you $75 a pop) and end up having to pay out of pocket for a third party you trust anyway. Can you give 0 stars? Stay away!!

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Lauren. We do apologize for any inconveniences you may have experienced with the handling of your claim. Our records do indicate that you have received full reimbursement for the plumbing repairs completed by your contractor. Thank you.

Nov. 9th, 2020

Dylan Hernandez

Dishwasher still not fixed. Had to contact warranty agency to get information instead of being notified. Still haven't received any updates on parts, or solutions due to lack of parts.

Ronald Winters DeLand, FL

I'm a retired plumber. I was requested to look at a residents plumbing problem which I repaired in 10 minutes. The plumbing company representative part of " AMERICAN HOME WARRANTY" charged $125 and claims he could not due the repair because of mold in the bathroom. So for $125 the poor woman got no service from her home warranty company. I did the repair in 10 minutes I used a Phillips screwdriver and a 8" pair of channel lock pliers. Total cost. My charge. $40. What is wrong with this picture???

Anthony Middletown, PA

Almost a month after placing a service request and the issue has not been resolved. Endless promises from FAHW on a timeline have all been lies. The contractor they chose does not answer the phone, does not call back from voicemails left, does not respond to text, and does not answer emails. Out of six representatives, only one actually sounded like they wanted to help. A manager stated he would make some calls and get back to me within two hours. Five hours later I call back and nobody has any idea what I'm talking about. Choose another warranty company.