First American Home Warranty

6.8

LAST UPDATED: October 15th, 2021

First American Home Warranty has been an industry leader for over 35 years and has a reputation of providing quality home warranty plans with extensive coverage for homeowners across the nation. The home warranty provider has serviced millions of claims, saving homeowners more than $180 million in covered repairs and replacements.

The company has a large network of prescreened technicians so you don't have to worry about doing your own research and independently finding your own technician. Warranty coverage lasts for one year and monthly payment options are available as well. First American Home Warranty ranked in our list of Top 10 Best Home Warranty Companies of 2019.

The Good

• Decades of Experience and Company Stability
  • Comprehensive Plans
  • Coverage Limits
  • 24/7 Claims Service
  • Online Homeowner Center

Decades of Experience and Company Stability

First American has been providing home warranties since 1984. The home warranty service provider offers coverage to 30 states. Over 35 years of home warranty experience is a good indication of the company’s stability and willingness to provide quality service. Choosing a home warranty company with so much experience could be an additional benefit for homeowners.

Comprehensive Plans

First American Home Warranty currently offers two coverage plans and a variety of additional options for warranty coverage. The monthly cost for a First American Home Warranty plan starts at $28 per month and lasts for one year. The service fee varies by location, but you will typically pay $75 whenever you schedule a repair or replacement with a First American Home Warranty technician. Warranty plan holders can upgrade or expand their warranty plan within the first 30 days of coverage to add on additional systems or appliances.

First American also offers a 30-day review period for new warranty contract holders. Customizable plans are made for homeowners, real estate professionals, as well as network service providers. First American Home Warranty's website allows anyone to receive a sample contract and specific residential warranty pricing within minutes.

First American Home Warranty does not have an age limit on systems and appliances, so you don't have to worry about the company refusing coverage based on this. Warranty coverage for major appliances and systems is as follows (pricing and coverage for protection plans may vary by location):

The Basic Plan: $28 per Month or $336 per Year

• Garage door opener
  • Ductwork
  • Central vacuum system

Optional Coverage

For a fee, you can add additional coverage items to your service contract:

• Central air conditioning (electric) — $9 per month
  • Additional refrigeration — $4 per month
  • Pool/spa equipment — $15 per month
  • Well pump — $7 per month
  • First class upgrade — $9 per month

Coverage Limits

Unlike some home warranty providers, most of First American’s covered items do not carry a specific dollar limit. First American plans do not require a home inspection to be done by a contractor or maintenance records to be retrieved from a repair person for coverage. The service provider also offers extra protection for malfunctions due to lack of maintenance, regular wear and tear, rust, corrosion, and sedimentary build-up. There are no age limits on covered items, and no limit to the number of claims a customer can file.

24/7 Claims Service

No matter the time of day, customers can open a claim. First American offers a 24/7 service request hotline where you can make service calls at any time as well as a user-friendly online customer portal. First American has a nationwide network of workers and prescreens every service contractor and requires them to complete a probationary period to ensure customer satisfaction standards are met through customer survey results.

Online Homeowner Center

First American offers an easy-to-use online homeowner center for all of its customers. From this portal, a customer can open and track their claims, view their contract details, renew their home warranty, and manage communication preferences.

The Bad

• Nationwide Service Unavailable
  • First American Home Warranty Reviews
  • Extra Cost for Air Conditioning Coverage

Nationwide Service Unavailable

First American provides coverage in 30 states. There is a tool on its website that allows for a zip code lookup to determine if First American provides coverage for customers in a particular state. Unfortunately, if you are out of First American’s coverage area, you are unable to receive its services.

First American Home Warranty Reviews

First American Home Warranty has some negative reviews highlighting bad customer service, delayed and lengthy response and service time, and hidden fees on appliances. We suggest reading through First American Home Warranty reviews before making a final purchasing decision.

Extra Cost for Air Conditioning Coverage

Many home warranty providers offer air conditioning as part of their premier plan or combo plan, but First American Home Warranty only offers an AC unit as additional coverage with an extra fee you add to your chosen plan. This may be a problem for customers looking to have air conditioning as part of their prearranged plan. However, because the AC unit isn't covered in First American Home Warranty's two main plans, this is what makes the company's warranty cost cheaper than most.

The Bottom Line

With 35+ years of experience and a large network of service providers (each contractor is reviewed and put through a probation period to ensure customer satisfaction), First American Home Warranty has comprehensive protection with high coverage limits for major appliances and systems. With a competitive cost and service call fee and multiple plan options, First American Home Warranty gives you more value for your money and covers customers with flexible payment options for various budgets.

The company offers a basic plan for customers that are looking for more standard coverage, as well as a premier plan for homeowners wanting more robust coverage. Additional add-on items are also available for coverage so consumers can pick and choose other major systems and appliances they want covered. Note that First American Home Warranty only covers the wear and tear of major appliances and systems. Like most home warranty companies, First American does not cover pre-existing conditions.

When compared to other home warranty companies, First American Home Warranty has a competitive monthly cost and service fee. Some warranty providers charge upwards of $600 per year with a $100 service fee.

First American Home Warranty created its home warranty programs with not just homeowners in mind but network service providers and real estate professionals as well. Typically, for whichever home warranty plan you select, the service contract will last for one year.

If you want to learn about what customers think of the company, such as response time, customer service, and quality of repair, check out First American Home Warranty reviews below.

Call our recommended rep over at First American Home Warranty below.

3.9

Luke McKeever Mechanicsburg, PA

UPDATE 9/23/2021: FAHW has escalated my claim back to management for review after an hour explaining why the original contractor will not come back to my house. I had to explain that the company does not use multiple contractors and that is only one person. I had to also explain that he tracked soot throughout my house and didn't clean anything up. That he closed the project after claiming he would return to complete it. In short, I am waiting on the review by contractor relations and management from FAHW to see where this will go. My oil furnace broke in March of 2020, I filed my service claim. I was auto assigned a contractor Service Call Pros. I checked out his reviews and all of them were horrible. I tried to give the guy the benefit of the doubt in this since if FAHW assigned him, maybe people were just being too critical, etc. Turns out, we are almost through September and I still do not have a working furnace the contractor closed the ticket with FAHW even after I told them he didn't complete the work. I had to open a new service claim to have a second contractor verify that the work was not done. NOW, FAHW wants to send back the original contractor who did a horrible job to fix the work... I told them I do not want him back to my house, but they are insisting he has to do it due to liability. They said they could request for a senior member to come out.. Service Call Pros is one technician. Yet, they want him to go back.. It took an hour for me to finally be connected with a supervisor who could escalate the claim back to Management. I will update this after I receive the feedback from their management team.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Luke, We do apologize that this may be taking longer than anticipated. Can you please provide us with your claim number so that we may look into this?

Deborah Caldwell Dayton, OH

I am a Realtor who has recommended First American to all my clients for 30 years now and have bought 5 of their Home Warranty's myself since 2006. They were always great until NOW. I bought my most recent policy in May 2021. Today is October 6, 2021 and I had to contact them for service. I did so at 8:30 this morning. The gentleman PROMISED me a Contractor would call me with in 8 hours. No phone call. I then called back and was PROMISED AGAIN that someone would call me with in the next 4 hours. No phone call. I am stuck with this plumbing issue!! I now feel extremely guilty that I have recommended this Company to all my Client's which obviously has changed for the worse since I had to actually use one of my Contracts back in 2012 which at that time they sent someone out and fixed the problem on that home. I have bought 3 Contracts from this Company since the 2012 house but never had to call them with a problem. I will be calling them AGAIN tomorrow morning for a complete refund of my money and will NEVER recommend this Company again which is sad after 30 straight year's of recommending them. This is pure Malfeasance!

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Deborah. Thank you for your review, we appreciate the feedback. Per our conversation, we offered you up to $125.00 to hire your own plumber, who has cleared your stoppage, for your toilets and showers. Currently, we are awaiting additional information about the camera diagnosis from your contractor. We look forward to resolving your claim. Thank you.

Oct. 12th, 2021

Partha Sarathi New York, NY

First American Home Warranty has an awful service. It feels like they are scamming people with the promise that they never deliver. You pay premium and service fee but after waiting for months, nothing gets done. Their strategy seems like is just wait out. I tried to call customer service and more than once, they hang up in the middle of the call just because I was asking for more info. I feel like all my money is a total waste. My recommendation: Stay Away from First American Home Warranty.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Partha, We do apologize that this may be taking longer than anticipated. We have a process when evaluating and determining and outcome for our customers, and do our best to keep this process moving forward until resolved. Can you please provide us with your claim number so that we may look into this?

Terri Mingione Glendale, AZ

Your company does not follow up with their customers. They believe the company's they hire that are F rated companies on the BBB. I would not recommend this company there are plenty of other companies to go with that are cheaper and believe the customer not the worker that comes out and don't know what their doing have to u-tube it to know how to fix a stove. Fricken ridiculous!! Don't use AVA appliances!!

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Terri. We have reached out to you for additional information.

Oct. 8th, 2021

J Moorman Seattle, WA

What disaster, not sure where to start but after trying to have my under sink instant hot water heater fixed for 6 months nothing was done. I believe the company is retaliating due to my negative reviews. The (second)contractor says they declined the repairs even though they were approved in the past by the first contractor that stated FAHW is extremely difficult to get them to do anything. I have exhausted myself spending countless hours trying to get the problem resolved. Written reviews on various sites etc. called and emailed to no avail. I will take this matter as far as it needs to go in order to get resolved. I am in the process of obtaining executive email addresses, filling a detailed and well-structured customer complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Hopefully FAHW can approve the contractors to fix my problem, this would be the simple solution. The other option would be to give me a full refund of $616.00 from my initial purchase made on March 24 2021 for a years warranty. I hope someone from FAHW contacts me. and I hope people read this before purchasing a policy. UPDATE 10/15/2021: I finally have it scheduled. This was after emailing the CEO and other top executives in the company (I got a reply and approval the next day:) Prior to that all my emails and messages were ignored. Hopefully the problem will be fixed however looking at the approval It looks like the leak is not included in the fix. There is lots of fine print on what is and is not covered. It only took 6 months.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello J, Our records indicate Wizard LLC has been authorized to repair the instant hot water dispenser and the garbage disposal. They will contact you to schedule a mutually convenient appointment to complete the repairs. Thank you.

Oct. 15th, 2021

Sambhav Jain Milpitas, CA

Would like to give 0 star. Just note these 2 points before getting into contract with this company. 1. No email contact for contacting the company. so you cannot maintain any official record of your requests and escalation. 2. No escalation channel. Just one phone no. thats all. Work done through them will cost many times more than done without any warranty. I contacted first American for my garage door repair. It took them almost 2 months to get it fixed with 1.5 times the price i would have paid without the warranty. Even after that the issue is not resolved. Any they just closed the request based on contractors feedback. They work with fraud contracting companies, these companies just make money without and warranty/guarantee. The garage door repair guy told me he will give me only 2 months warranty on replaced parts. When i contacted the CC, she told me that she is escalating my request and that i should receive a phone call in next 2 days. No body called. Also my request was closed. I called them again on 3rd day, they had no record of any escalation. I am totally surprised such companies are able to exist in this country. Totally frustrated with this company. I even asked them to cancel my contract and refund the prorated money. But they don't do that as well.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Sambhav. We have requested additional information from you.

Sep. 28th, 2021

Partha Sarathi

Brian Liu Fremont, CA

Had a garage door opener motor issue, which needs to replace new motor + a battery back-up sys per latest code. The garage door company did not separate the motor and backup battery sys. FAHM denied the full coverage due to max code upgrade allowance of $250, even though motor is fully covered. Even though I explained with FAHM and the garage door company is willing to break down the costs to separate the back-up battery sys, FAHM refused to valid the coverage to motor. They are seeking a buy-out quote or I pay anything beyond $250. Another thing is now they keep ignoring any request to talk to rep due to understaff. I called several times, all the sys say is ask you to use self-service sys, do not give you options/ignoring your voice request for rep. It took me hrs to get to speak to a rep, which is with bad attitude. very disappointed as a 3 year customer. I am planning to switch to other warranty companies.

Erkan Ozcan Huntington Beach, CA

The worst insurance company I have ever dealt with. Our dishwasher stopped working and insurance assigned service called Smart Choice. Smart Choice technician came 4 times and he had no idea (he even said he would lose his job if he tells he can't fix). We explained insurance and asked for another service. Insurance assigned Fox and technician figured out the problem but insurance decided to assign Smart Choice back. Smart Choice keeps cancelling request. Now insurance company keeps hanging up the phones. By the way, you can't send emails or submit any issues/complains through their website. They blocked all written communication ways so there is no proof left.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Erkan, First American apologizes for any inconvenience you may have experienced during the handling of your claim and thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. We are always looking for ways to better our service and your feedback is an invaluable part of the process. At this time, our records indicate that First American provide you with the option to either accept dishwasher repairs or cash payment in lieu of the repairs for $423.01. Your accepted the repairs. Please be advised, contractor Fox Appliance will contact you to proceed with repairs. Please be advised, First American considers this claim pending. Thank you,

Sep. 15th, 2021

William Luebs Flower Mound, TX

Disgusting!! Tried to get a wiring problem fixed. Wiring problems are covered. But they denied installing a $5 junction box because my house did not have one previously. I pay almost $1000 per year and this crap company is refusing to do a 10 minute job. The companies that First American subs to fix our problems are the dregs of the world. Stay away from First AMERICAN. Their service SUCKS!

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi William. We are very sorry that we were unable to assist you. The contractor reported that you are needing to install a junction box, which is not covered. Thank you.

Sep. 15th, 2021

Ben Mintz Knoxville, TN

Do not waste your money with this warranty company. I had a $400 garbage disposal go bad, and they only offered me a $50 cash out. How do you replace a $400 garbage disposal with $50? This is after waiting 2 weeks for the company to get the cash out offer. Customer service is completely useless and supervisors are never available. This is the worst warranty I have ever dealt with!

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Ben. Thank you for your feedback. Please note that the cash payment offer as our cost was provided as a courtesy as you proceed without prior approval to replace your garbage disposal. Per the contract, First American does not provide reimbursement for services performed without prior approval. Thank you.

Sep. 3rd, 2021

Clifford Heide Sedona, AZ

First American Home Warranty has the worst customer service that I have ever experienced. Sears technician came to my home to service a refrigerator. He told me that the refrigerator had a freon leak and that the evaporator needed replacement. He said that that the refrigerator was over 25 years old and he could not find a replacement evaporator and that no part is available for a unit this old. He informed me that Sears and First American Warranty were obligated to do an extensive search for the part. If it cannot be found (which was very likely), I would be informed and a replacement refrigerator with be forthcoming. After two weeks and over a dozen phone calls - First American service finally stated that they found the part; however, it was on backorder and no delivery date was stipulated. Unfortunately, the part they found was for an evaporator fan motor not an evaporator. The technician stated that the unit had a loss of freon due to the evaporator (the evaporator fan motor is different and has no freon). I tried to contact Sears, to have them correct this mistake with First American Warranty. Impossible! I received NO paperwork from the technician, have had direct communication, to contact sears and have been without a refrigerator for almost 3 weeks. I have spoken to approximately 10 customer service reps and 5 supervisors in the Claims Resolution Dept. - all to no avail.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Clifford, We would like to apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during the handling of your claim. Upon review, you accepted the cash payment in lieu of the kitchen refrigerator replacement. The check was mailed on September 20, 2021. Your claim is considered closed. Thank you.

Oct. 10th, 2021

Maya My Atlanta, GA

I've attempted to utilize my warranty service 4x within the year I've had it, and on 3 of the occurrences, it was for the same exact issue. I had a plumbing issue and a contractor came out, I paid the fee, they "repaired" the issue, and the same issue occurred the next month. Since it was the same issue, I made another service request and advised no fee should be charged because the issue recurred within the prior repairs warranty. Delmar Plumbing came out, provided no invoice, was late on multiple occurrences, would schedule an appt and never show up, and there were often times where I had no idea what was next. First Am. and myself were unable to contact him on multiple circumstances. He would come up with erroneous costs, no proof and made claims to First Am. which resulted in them denying the claim. I never received notice of the denial and had to keep calling around to figure out when my plumbing issue would be fixed. I called 4/21/21 and was told it was denied and they read the denial letter to me. Based off what she read, I specifically explained where the claim should've still been covered under my warranty but Brittany with Support said she couldn't say anything more, it's already denied, then she transferred me to a line where no one answered. I decided to find my own contractor to fix the issue but inquired on if First Am. would reimburse me and instead, they advised they'd send someone else out to revisit the issue and determine at that point. I didn't even bother since their contractors are already highly questionable. First Am works with terrible contractors and they want you to use their contractors only. I verified with Support that my 2nd visit fee would be waived since it was the same issue that occurred the next month but still I received a bill. I figured this would be removed as advised and instead, I receive a collections notice from an outside agency. I attempted to request service for a different issue today but was told I couldn't until the prior fee was paid. How can a company outsource your fee to a Collections Agency then continue to try to receive payment from you directly? So if I pay First Am. money of which I was already not responsible for, the collections company would still harass me for payment since they weren't the ones to collect it as they were outsourced to do. I called 8/17/21 and spoke with Gloria who first said I had to pay Now in order to submit any requests. She then claimed it would be a deferred payment and I could submit a request after 2 hours. Later in the convo, she said her supervisor (whose name she claimed she didn't have) didn't approve a deferral. After requesting to escalate, she instantly claimed I would be able to submit a request within 1 hour. At that point, I wished her a good day and said I'll find someone else it fix my issue asap instead of playing games with a company that I no longer find reputable. I will never recommend this company to anyone.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Maya. We have messaged you for additional information.

Aug. 24th, 2021

Jay Feinstein Dallas, TX

5 weeks without a fridge for my family of 4. It has been "escalated" 6 times. We have been spending a fortune eating out. The 1st tech they sent wasn't even certified to work on the equipment. The 2nd never ordered parts. My wife calls every day. Now, with our kids returning to school, we bought a new fridge on our own and requested they reimburse us what it would cost to repair ours. They are deducting for service calls(that were useless and include an uncertified tech?!). BTW, our fridge now has black mold growing in it from so long without use. Beyond frustrating and inept. The service agents read from a script and the supervisors don't return calls. What a waste of time and money. Choose ANYONE else.

Verlinda McNeil Las Vegas, NV

Service call for a freezer that I have had since 1998 in the garage. The tech came out and said all it needed was freon and I will get a call to schedule it. After three day I got no call. I call the company and they said the claim was denied. I contacted FAHW a d git an offshore avent. I requested that a manager call me back.That never happen. I requested twice and even sent in a request on line. I had to get another company to come out and said that the coil needed to be replace and that it would be better to get a new fdeezer. Now this company wants me to pay for xervice call when he gave me tbe wrong diagnosis. My freezer was garage ready.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Verlinda. We are requested additional information you.

Aug. 18th, 2021

Debra T Cabot, AR

I filed a claim when my water company advised I possibly have a leak due to the amount of water usage. The first contractor they sent said they did not have the equipment for leaks detection. The second contractor located a leak in the master bathroom but said they do not fix, only locate. They sent another contractor to fix the leak and they advised they cannot fix it because the prior contractor did not mark it. He came BACK out and tore out the bathtub and toilet and cut holes in the walls. Then another contractor was assigned to fix it and they called and said they could not… this claim was filed in April and it is now august which means I have been paying an extra $150-$200 per month in water bills due to this leak. Finally spoke with a rep that advised they would reimburse me for the repairs but I would have to hire my own contractor and pay out of pocket. I immediately got a quote to fix the leak in the wall between the toilet and bathtub. Now, the rep is claiming the leak is in the slab and the max they will pay is $500. The quote for the repairs is over $1600 and doesn’t even include the drywall repair. Not to mention, the leak is NOT a slab leak but a leak in the pipe in the wall.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Debra, We have reached out to you for additional information.

Win Lutz, FL

I requested service for a 14 year old Hayward pool heater. The first contractor stated that the pool heater had chewed up wires from rodents and low gas pressure. My claim was denied. I had an authorized Hayward authorized dealer inspect the unit. The dealer confirmed that the pilot light was not working due to age and normal wear and tear. No signs of rodents, low gas pressure or chewed wires. I sent the report from the Hayward dealer to FAHW. They reopened the claim based on the report and the photos submitted. 2nd contractor (second opinion) does not follow the rules that FAHW puts in place on 3rd visit.. The first visit the contractor stars I had low gas pressure but did not mention anything wrong with heater. He said that everything looks good. Claim was denied for low gas pressure. I had an authorized gas dealer come out and inspect the gas and they noted no problems. I submitted the paperwork and FAHW reopened the service request. 2nd contractor comes out a second time and says the system has low gas pressure. Claim was denied. I open up a gas service request with FAHW. The gas contractor confirms no gas problem. FAHW reopens the claim and send the 2nd contractor back out a 3rd time. This time the contractor does not schedule an appointment and shows up at the house without confirming that an individual of the age of 18is at the house. The contractor takes photos of the pool heater . The contractor was not authorized to be on the property since a date and time was not scheduled. There is a concern that someone was outside the house and the family inside were not aware. Ring camera showed the individual on property for 6 minutes. I did not get to see what the pool company was doing to the unit while on-site. Next, I was told by FAHW that my replacement claim was denied due to the report and photos taken.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Win. We are sorry to hear about your experience. We have reached out to you for additional information.

Paul Rancho Santa Margarita, CA

Just an awful warranty company that actually makes you feel helpless when in need. It was such a painful experience. I hope that at the least, this helps others by seeing the pain this company causes. Within my area, First American cycles between 2 pool companies for pool repairs whom have no business being around pools but are well trained to know exactly what voids FAH warranties. And if one was to review those companies reviews they would see similar issues like mine and similar claims like mine. For this particular issue - a crack in the main filter, the cause determined by their contractor was due to a dirty filter which he then told me would void the warranty. Mind you, this determination was made when he knocked on my front door and w/out seeing the equipment. He proceeded to prove to me that was the cause and then told me First American will void this but ill still submit. I did tell him i had a professional pool company that just cleaned the filter 3 months ago, which he told me they are lying to me. What followed was 3+ weeks of complete hell. I called the First American call center and submitted a complaint about this guy and his accusations that my filter is not clean and that this would void my warranty. I told FAH i have proof it has been cleaned and I will get outside vendors to come and diagnose also since its obvious it has to be replaced. -The outside contractors laughed at the idea one would consider this a dirty filter and they all determined it to be the life of the housing for the reason. Onee contractor flat out said its a scam if they think this filter caused that crack. Also note, I have a very well known pool service company that comes out weekly to maintain the pool and cleans the filter religiously every 6 months. And all of that proof was sent to FAH. Also, the findings of the other contractors were also sent with their estimates. I followed up daily either by their general claim review email (where they asked me to send all my emails) or the call center. My pool equipment has been off for 3+ weeks and the water was actually harmful to be in, my salt water had to have chlorine dumped to combat the equipment (My child is allergic to chlorine) and since that obviously didn't work since all the equipment is off, my pool service company + and an outside contractor said they cant do weekly service until i get the water treated and or drained and/or get this filter replaced today. So, i document that, beg them to respond or tell me what to do, even asking if its ok if i just purchase it and send it to my only lifeline at First American - the general email that ive never heard from and the call center. Hear nothing from email (5+ days) and call center give me the same 2 options: File a complaint (which would be the 3rd one and i know they aren't documenting them or escalate). However, this time based on the scenario they advised to not do any more damage to the pool so to handle that and then they would continue the escalation internally. So i had not other choice then to replace it. I got that done and emailed and called the sources again and told them. The next day I finally get a call (how convenient) but it was to tell me that my claim is denied b/c i replaced it myself it and that they had assigned another one of their contractors to make a 2nd diagnosis (3 weeks later they tell me this) but since i replaced it its all is void and she had the nerve to tell me that this completes your request. By the way, the 2nd contractor they were brining out is the same company currently working on my pool heater. When i say working on it - I mean they came out, super rude and unprofessional, scared my kids when they went straight into my backyard (when i requested they don't) - which they entered on the wrong side and proceeded to walk, across my large backyard through the kids playing and over to the other gate to the pool. They then blamed the pool heater not working was due to it not being cleaned (b/c of spiders in the pipes and it needed to be cleaned (and would not look at the errors it was throwing). Notice the cleaning trend. "I dare you to google first american home warranty pool repairs cleaning" and research the trend. B/c Ive dealt with this before, I had my pool company clean the heater, but this company said they have to clean it so they can be ensured its not that.. So they charged me $150 to clean it and then 2 days later the same issues were still going on. This was over 7 weeks ago. For the past 6+ weeks, they haven't been able to schedule to come back and take a look at it. Actually they called me once at 7am asking if they can be at my house at 9am and i was not in town but haven't heard back in 2 weeks. This is the company First american was lining up to be their 2nd opinion (which i'm sure would of taken weeks to come out based on the heater situation). At the end of the day, I paid for the filter (which should of clearly been under warranty and proven by 3 contractors) + now I am paying for treating the water b/c i waited those 5 days thinking FAH would respond, even though it had been 3 weeks going. Not sure what else I could of done, I had to replace it because it was becoming a health hazard and I gave every opportunity for this company to help, i contacted them daily, tried to be proactive and tell them the outlook just looking for the help they promised when i signed up for them. Never again will I make that mistake by choosing First American and I hope you don't either.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Paul. We understand your frustration. We have also messaged you for additional information.

Phil Carpenter Hamburg, MI

First American sets you up on an annualized payment schedule on your credit card then makes it very difficult to cancel. This results in months of credit card Billings . I had to cancel my credit card to stop their payments. I emailed all the documents they requested which they said they never received and continued billing me. I would rank them as scammers and give them the lowest possible rating.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Phil. Thank you for your feedback. Our records do indicate that at this time your contract has been cancelled. However, at the time of the sell of your home we never received your written request to cancel your contract.

May. 4th, 2021

Pop33897 Davenport, FL

As a property manager I’ve had my homes covered with American. For several years repairs where completed timely….not so much anymore. I waited 6 weeks for a microwave to be repaired. Now I’m waiting 7 weeks for a n Air Conditioning unit, I would like to switch to another warranty company BUT WHO ???

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello. We have reached out to you for additional information.

Aug. 26th, 2021

Joshua Cooklin Florence, OR

I submitted a claim to fix my dryer 3 months ago and paid the $75 service fee. It took 3 weeks for the first repairman to come out. It needed a part which arrived at my door 2 days later. 2 no shows and over 2 months later and I still can't get anyone to come fix it. I lodged a complaint with the BBB as well as calling this company multiple times. Last time I spoke with them they told me I needed to be "more patient". Stay away from this company!

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Joshua. Our records indicate you placed a claim on May 30, 2021 for your clothes dryer not heating up. First American dispatched an independent contractor, Sears, to diagnose the failure. The contractor reported a part was ordered and will return to complete repairs. On July 15, 2021, the contractor reported they did not have a technician available to complete the repair and rescheduled for August 17, 2021. As of August 19, 2021, the contractor reported an appointment is scheduled for August 24, 2021 to install the heating element. First American looks forward to completing the repairs to your clothes dryer and apologizes for any inconveniences you experienced during the handling of the claim. Please be advised, First American considers this claim pending.

Aug. 24th, 2021

Marriah powell Los Angeles, CA

My AC was broken for 6 weeks in over 100 degree weather. I caught the contractor and warranty company in lies. I finally gave up called a local company and paid out of pocket. They had it fixed in an hour. I paid $55 a month for the warranty a $75 deductible. Had to buy a $400 AC for my bedroom so I could sleep. Had to eat out every day because it was to hot to cook. My electric bill went up because the little AC ran 24/7 trying to keep my bedroom cool. I basically lived in my bedroom for the 6 weeks. So in the end I could pay $675 to fix the AC myself. The only good thing is the local rep is helping me get reimbursed for some of the money I had to pay out.

Harrison Menlo Park, CA

I had issues arise with both my refrigerator and dryer after purchasing a new home and in both cases the technician failed to contact me or show up to at least one of the appointments I scheduled. First American made no effort to assist me in working through these scheduling challenges and did not treat this issue with any degree of concern or priority. As a company that operates as a middle-man between a consumer and a service technician, I find this to be completely unacceptable. Their role is to streamline this process but at every step in the process they only served to further waste my time (e.g. sitting on hold, talking to First American representatives who were either unwilling or unable to address my issues, etc) and to cause me more frustration. In retrospect, even though I had two repairs which would seem to have made this purchase a cost effective one for me, I regret purchasing a home warranty from First American on account of the hassle and frustration they introduced into my repairs. I will never purchase any service from them again and strongly recommend others steering clear of them.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Harrison. Thank you for your review. We have sent you a message for additional information.

Jul. 8th, 2021

George Stavri Las Vegas, NV

I dont like anything about this company. With few exceptions this company actions are misleading on the border of fraudulent. My last 2 experiences were horrendous. Couple of months ago the washer started making grinding noises. We called the warranty. After paying $75 the serviceman told us without a through investigation that the center post is out of alignment because we are washing too many clothes. Hello ?? As of result they denied fixing the machine. Prior to this incident we called because the electricity at the 2nd floor was inadequate coming and going. The home insurance electrician came and said the reason the fuse is tripping is because we are using an outlet with and extension with multiple outlets. Because of this he said they will not fixed it because the problem is outside of the coverage. What ? What was plugged in there were tv screen and monitors. Mind you the panel is 200 amps. Subsequent to paying the $75 we called a professional troubleshooter from a very large electric company. He fixed the problem and told us that what the insurance company was telling us IS PURE "BOGUS". I also think our phone number and email is on their blacklist as I can't go through to them to place another claim. DO NOT INSURE WITH THIS COMPANY. I would love to give them some TV space so everybody can learn how bad this company is.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello George. Thank you for your review. We have messaged you for additional information.

Jul. 9th, 2021

Ron l Spartanburg, SC

AC units not working had to wait 1 week for scheduled appointment and was cancelled day of without knowledge due to overbooking tech, rescheduled for 1 week and same thing happened again. Was rescheduled again and no help from First American Warranty. 4 weeks with AC units not working. Unable to speak with management or get satisfaction. Automated system with reps that are no help with resolutions. Sears is their vendor and unable to speak to a person.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Ron. We appreciate your feedback. We has reached out to you for additional information.

Jun. 22nd, 2021

Mike Arlington, TX

Your monthly rate is high--have not received your promotional gift card, after almost 5 months. FAHW has no compassion for its loyal, faithful customers, in my opinion, all FAHW concerns is to make money, and not fair customer treatment relationship.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Mike. We are sorry to hear. We have messaged you for additional information.

Bolo Bucketz Chandler, AZ

I have been out of AC almost a month now. They sent a company to my house that misreported the issue, saying my unit was missing components so it wasnt covered. I paid out of pocket for a 3rd party HVAC company (with a better reputation) and they said all the parts are there, and that the unit is very old and should be replaced. So I called FAHW back and they sent another company. The tech went on the roof for 10 minutes and the air started blowing cold. He said it was a "bad wire". The next day, the air went out again. The claim is reopened and I have to wait another week for one of their techs to come back. Its 115 degrees in Phoenix, AZ right now! Am I paranoid for thinking this company is doing everything they can to avoid replacing this unit?

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Bolo. Thank you for your feedback. We have sent you a message requesting additional information.

Jun. 22nd, 2021

Mike Bonfiglio Ellerbe, NC

I have had a policy with First American for at least 7 years now. For whatever reason, they have been miserable the previous 3 [of 7] years. I'll tell you about one incident in particular. In the beginning of March I filed a claim to have my upstairs (two-zone) air conditioner fixed because it was not blowing cold air. About a week later, the assigned company comes out and he inspected my A/C unit. The technician determined the relay switch needed to be replaced, but it had to be ordered. A few week later the technician comes back out and he changes the relay switch. However, the A/C still was not working. Therefore, the technician determined the compressor needed to be replaced. I got three (3) emails from First American regarding the replacement of the compressor after the technician made his recommendation to First American. The first email was April 1, and it indicated they were reviewing the contractor's notes. The other two emails came on April 5. One email authorized the repair and the second email said they [First American] ordered the compressor. I later came to find out, from the technician himself, that First American orders the parts, not the contractors. Per the technician, First American did not order a factory (original) part. It was a compressor that operator/sounded completely different [compared the the original compressor that broke and the original compressor on the downstairs unit]. As a matter of fact, the part they ordered was missing pieces and the technician had to leave the job site to purchase the parts he needed to complete the job. Between 2-3 weeks later, I called the assigned contractor because I had not heard from them, despite the First American email saying the compressor was ordered. However, I did not get an answer (there was a consistent pattern of the contractor never answering the phone, which resulted in he and I playing "telephone tag.") so I left a message. He called me later on the same day and scheduled an appointment for the next day. This is where it gets good. The technician came out and replaced the compressor, thus fixing my upstairs A/C unit. I actually think the technician.... and the technician alone... did a fantastic job. So, the job was finished and the technician came up to me and said he needed to collect $300. I thought he was joking, but he was serious. Apparently, First American was billing me $300 for out of pocket expenses that no one ever told me about.... ever. Not in an email, or in the work order, or a phone call, or any other form of communication. Per First American's FAQ section on their website, "...First American or the contractor will communicate this information and the associated costs." That never happened. I called the company and spoke to a supervisor about 5 minutes after the technician left. After being on hold for 20 minutes, I finally got her on the line. Per the supervisor, the only way I'd be able to get my $300 back was for them to send the contractor company back to my house and un-do all of the work they did. I said, "Fine, do that." That was a week ago and I still haven't heard anything from them. I just filed my complaint with the Better Business Bureau. If they can not help me to get my $300 back, then I have other avenues I intend to take.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Mike. Thank you for your review. We have sent you a message for additional information.

May. 7th, 2021

Matthew Moore Virginia Beach, VA

Slow to fix any claims. I have waited over 30 days for repairs on multiple claims. They will replace only one small component at a time no matter how many failures a single piece of equipment has. If your A/C or heater goes out expect your home to be in the 90s or 40s depending on the season. Calls are not answered. Messages are not returned. Find another home warranty company! Do not sign up for this service!

Brenda

My first occasion to use my new home warranty has been a huge disappointment.. my microwave stopped working in 11/15 andI immediately reported it and was told the claim would be filed... which it was and in 36 hours Sears sent an email that Sears service department would be ti my home on DECEMBER 29....6 WEEKS AWAY!!! to repair a microwave!! I called FAHW again yesterday to question the time stated and was told Sears would call within 4 hours... 2 days later, I'm still waiting!!!

Stephen Boviall Kennesaw, GA

We had them check out two appliances. They do everything they can to put a band aid on it so they don't have to replace it. In the end we bypassed them and made the purchase on our own. Our AC unit was going out. We had it looked at professionally ourselves and was told it needed replaced. The warranty had someone look at it and they said it needed replaced. The warranty had another person, a one man company, and said it needed cleaned. That's what they went with. Rather than pay $350 for a cleaning, another service fee for them to come look at it, and then another $500 for the warranty, we just purchased a new furnace ourselves. It wasn't worth the hassle to keep putting a band aid on it.

Brandon CA

They are really terrible. I had the AC go out on my condo and they kept scheduling it out to contractors who don’t even work on the building. Each mistake would cause an additional day of no AC delay. I finally had to find my own company yet it still took First American an additional 2 days to approve. I talked to 8 different people and spent 10 hours on the phone. My advice is use another warranty company,

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Brandon. We appreciate your feedback. We have messaged you for additional information.

Jun. 2nd, 2021

Sue M Beasley

failed me on 1st claim- sent out a tech that didn't know his job-ended up costing me almost $ 300.00- then turner down my claim on cracked toilet tank-said they only cover normal wear and tear-I thought flushing a toilet was normal wear and tear!!!!!~normal

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Sue, We would like to apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during the handling of your claim. First American's records indicate you placed a claim for a plumbing stoppage and a cracked toilet. First American dispatched an independent contractor, All Hours Emergency Plumber LLC who reported the septic tank needed pumped as it was full. In addition, they reported the toilet cracked as a result of physical force which is not normal wear and tear. Please be advised, This Contract covers only the items specifically identified in this Contract as covered and excludes all others. In addition, Liability is limited to repair or replacement cost of Item due to normal wear and tear. You may refer to your home warranty contract under the section marked Important and Limits of Liability, Number Three. First American considers this claim closed.

Nov. 4th, 2020

Norm

Terrible service. A recent example is when a 35 year old ceiling fan's light switch broke from inside its housing. The technician stated to me that it wasn't covered as it was classified as not normal wear and tear; additionally, he laughed and said they didn't tell you about their exchange policy?

Chuck Norton Pensacola, FL

I had a compressor go out on my refrigerator and requested service. They only had one contractor to that gave me a service date of 2 weeks off. I know how this company works from past experience with a AC. Took over a month to get it fixed. They actually had to replace it and YES charged me an extra $600 for the contractor. There was nothing in the fine print that allowed that. So not wanting to go without a refrigerator for 2 weeks plus the time for them to get a compressor and reschedule another appt, I called a local service company and paid them to fix the refrigerator. Fixed it the day I called. Useless warranty !

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Chuck. Thank you for your review, we understand your frustration. We have messaged you for additional information.

Kat Blue Phoenix, AZ

Horrible. I've been at my daughter-in-law's house helping with a newborn and her AC has been out far too long with no real attempt by First American Home Warranty to resolve the issue. This is her home warranty company and she lives in Phoenix where it's been over 90 degrees during every single day of this mess. She's had them out 4 times in the last year now for this same issue but it's never been fixed. She's paid their service fee each time yet there has been no resolution. In fact, we know now that the first couple times their techs simply flipped the breaker switch rather than addressing the issue that kept causing the breaker to flip. We also know now that the last tech who came out actually bypassed the main breaker which has now destroyed parts for the AC unit. The home warranty company just gives her the runaround and they have been without AC for nearly two weeks now in this weather with a newborn. On April 1, she called to talk with a supervisor but was told there were none available. On April 5, she was told that her claim was never elevated to a supervisor at all. On April 9, she was told again it was never elevated though she'd been on the phone with various supervisors all week long. She was told the parts still needed to be ordered and the contractor wasn't responding and various other asinine excuses while an infant, two other kids, and two dogs remain overheated day after day.... today is April 12 and there is still no AC.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Kat. Thank you for addressing the concerns, we will be in contact with the contract holder.

Christy Roswell, GA

This warranty company is incredibly difficult to deal with. They consistently assign poor contractors that cannot complete the repairs, but you are still charged the service fee for them coming out. They are slow to respond and make you jump through hoops to get anything repaired. When a third party contractor is needed and they actually approve it. They draw out reimbursing you forever!! I have spent way too many hours dealing with this terrible company. DO yourself a favor and just contact a professional to repair your appliance or whatever your issue and don't waste your money on this worthless warranty company.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Christy. We appreciate your feedback. We have messaged you for additional information.

Bobby Keith Johnson City, TN

I have been paying 59.50 month for approximately 5 years, in the event that I would be protected! So far I have only had a few small problems taken care of which I paid 75.00 for each call. I filed a claim a couple of years ago on my duct work which ended costing me 700.00 out of pocket. December 31st 2020 I filed a claim on our kitchen stove. The tech came out and said he had to order 2 parts for the stove. After many conversations with First American, I was promised about 3 weeks ago that they would replace it! They are still just talking and NOTHING IS BEING DONE! My wife and I are beyond livid! We've been without a stove for months now!!! I continue to get the run around ! They didnt want to replace my stove because of my manufacturers warrenty but im being told they cannot get the parts! My contract with First American Warranty reads repair or replace!!! They dont have to beg me to pay them every month but I certainly feel as though im begging them to hold up their end!!!!

Ehorton Houston, TX

Terrible company. Terrible customer service. They sent a used motor for our dishwasher. Even the contractor sent by them to install it, said it was used and they argued that it was not and wouldn’t buy a new one. Terrible customer service. A contractor came out for our pool heater and said the heater rusted out and needed to be replaced. I never heard another word from anyone for 3 weeks. I tried calling the contractor and they would never call me back. I logged into my account and it said the request was closed. After holding on the phone for an hour, they said the claim was denied because there wasn’t a gas regulator on the unit. We just bought the house and had the pool inspected when purchasing and there was no mention of this, plus the heater had worked for 3 months. They still denied the claim and would not give me a copy of the contractor’s report.

Steve Ross Corona del Mar, CA

I have yet to have First American agree to cover anything of any consequence. I've had three service calls on my HVAC system, and even though I pay extra for the coverage (and in fact only maintained the overall coverage because the HVAC units are aging) each time the contractor assigned has spent more time trying to find a reason not to cover a repair or replacement than they have on the problem itself. A condensor leak was due to "environmental conditions" - I live by the ocean so I'm not sure how salt air is a surprising or exculsionary condition. After replacing the condensor out of my own pocket there was an issue with the heat pump coil - a completely different component that is located inside the house - and that is also not being covered. Previously I was refused service on a bidet which is integrated into our master bathroom toilet. I had to explain to the call center what a bidet was and how it was a component of the toilet. After multiple phone calls I finally gave up and had the unit serviced by a local contractor (and it turned out to be an issue with the toilet rather than the bidet component). Every service event ends up as an argument about coverage - clearly there is a powerful disincentive for a contractor to approve a replacement unit. First American's entire system seems to built upon the premise that nothing is ever actually covered under their policy - unless you can prove otherwise. In other words, if you are counting on your First American plan to cover any major item, don't. You are far better off to have a reputable local contractor deal with any issues. Their HOW plan is a frustrating waste of money.

Marissa & Nathaniel Bianco North Las Vegas, NV

If I could give zero stars I would. We called to put a request in for for our new homes refrigerator and an agent actually answered the phone SINGING and was very very very obviously under the influence of alcohol/drugs. So extremely disrespectful!!!! And then when we did get "help" they said they wouldn't be able to come to our house until the end of the next week. So we had to go out and buy a brand new refrigerator because we have 3 kids and all of our food was completely ruined. Hands down absolute WORST customer service my husband and I have ever received.

Helen Kamin

They lied about when emergency service would take placeplace. No return phone calls when indicated they would with status information. Representative refused to let me speak with a supervisor. Don''t think they really have them as all calls were answered in El Salvador or Guatemala. Request to have ac issue turned in as emergency due to severe health issues. Request was turned in as normal. Service took more than 5 days with emergency status. This is unacceptable. After more than 15 years with a company, one does not ex

Richard Angell

First America Home Warranty does not have the network to serve the smaller cities. I requested service from a plumber, electrician and locksmith. First America told me they had no one in their network that could provide service. I was told to find my own provider and they would reimburse me less the service fee. I did find my own people for less than the cost of the service fee. If First America can't provide service for the small things, what are the odds they will help with the major things.

John Wilson Ironton, OH

Service took to long. I had to take 5 separate days off work even after I was told it would be replaced and the appliance isn't working 100%

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello John. Thank you for your review. We have requested additional information from you.

Jun. 8th, 2021

Debbie Las Vegas, NV

I requested two service at $85 a piece. Both service cost me $170 for nothing. They did not fix either issue. I requested a refund and they refused. I am very dissatisfied with this warranty company.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Debbie. Thank you for your feedback. We have reached out to you for additional information.

Jul. 16th, 2021

B San Diego, CA

Filed a claim for a defected electric stove. The technician was unable to fix it. I have been offer $150 to replace a $3000 electric build in oven. Impossible to speak to somebody in USA.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello B. Thank you for your feedback. We have messaged you for additional information.

Jul. 8th, 2021

Paul Port Orchard, WA

Worst company to work with! I have been waiting for one month now with out a working fridge! Terrible customer service. At this point I am still waiting for them to fix my not working refrigerator! 1 MONTH!

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi. Paul, we are sorry to hear that. At this time, we are doing all that we can to get you sooner service. Thank you.

Jul. 13th, 2021

LaTonya Farmer

On top of you never can get anyone on the line, customer service sucks. They're very limited to what they cover; and charges regardless of your dissatisfaction.

david peterson Austin, TX

During a dangerous heat wave, they have delayed responding by three days, and are now claiming that it will take another five days to repair our A/C. The service technician explained that the problem is the warranty company (FAHW), not the parts or service. Do not use them, they will put you and your family at risk.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello David, Our records indicate Faith and Hope HVAC Services reported the condenser fan motor and capacitor needed replacement as they had failed. We authorized the repair. Please be advised, the condenser fan motor is expected to arrive between June 29, 2021 - July 1, 2021. Faith and Hope HVAC Services will contact you to schedule an appointment to install the part as soon as it has arrived. Thank you.

Jun. 23rd, 2021

miike Miami, FL

up until now good BUT THER ARE USING nana HOME SERVICES which doesn't have tecks for dallas/ft worth tx. nana failed to show last Friday from 4 to 8 pm and again today from 8-noon. don't buy this warranty co until u verify which service co will service you..had Sears come out here 3 times with good service and kept apps.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Miike. Thank you for your review. We have message for you for additional information.

Jun. 21st, 2021