First American Home Warranty

7.8

First American Home Warranty has been an industry leader for over 35 years and has a reputation of providing quality home warranty plans with extensive coverage for homeowners across the nation. The home warranty provider has serviced millions of claims, saving homeowners more than $180 million in covered repairs and replacements.

The company has a large network of prescreened technicians so you don't have to worry about doing your own research and independently finding your own technician. Warranty coverage lasts for one year and monthly payment options are available as well. First American Home Warranty ranked in our list of Top 10 Best Home Warranty Companies of 2019.

The Good

• Decades of Experience and Company Stability
  • Comprehensive Plans
  • Coverage Limits
  • 24/7 Claims Service
  • Online Homeowner Center

Decades of Experience and Company Stability

First American has been providing home warranties since 1984. The home warranty service provider offers coverage to 38 states plus the District of Columbia. Over 35 years of home warranty experience is a good indication of the company’s stability and willingness to provide quality service. Choosing a home warranty company with so much experience could be an additional benefit for homeowners.

Comprehensive Plans

First American Home Warranty currently offers two coverage plans and a variety of additional options for warranty coverage. The monthly cost for a First American Home Warranty plan starts at $28 per month and lasts for one year. The service fee varies by location, but you will typically pay $75 whenever you schedule a repair or replacement with a First American Home Warranty technician. Warranty plan holders can upgrade or expand their warranty plan within the first 30 days of coverage to add on additional systems or appliances.

First American also offers a 30-day review period for new warranty contract holders. Customizable plans are made for homeowners, real estate professionals, as well as network service providers. First American Home Warranty's website allows anyone to receive a sample contract and specific residential warranty pricing within minutes.

First American Home Warranty does not have an age limit on systems and appliances, so you don't have to worry about the company refusing coverage based on this. Warranty coverage for major appliances and systems is as follows (pricing and coverage for protection plans may vary by location):

The Basic Plan: $28 per Month or $336 per Year

• Garage door opener
  • Ductwork
  • Central vacuum system

Optional Coverage

For a fee, you can add additional coverage items to your service contract:

• Central air conditioning (electric) — $9 per month
  • Additional refrigeration — $4 per month
  • Pool/spa equipment — $15 per month
  • Well pump — $7 per month
  • First class upgrade — $9 per month

Coverage Limits

Unlike some home warranty providers, most of First American’s covered items do not carry a specific dollar limit. First American plans do not require a home inspection to be done by a contractor or maintenance records to be retrieved from a repair person for coverage. The service provider also offers extra protection for malfunctions due to lack of maintenance, regular wear and tear, rust, corrosion, and sedimentary build-up. There are no age limits on covered items, and no limit to the number of claims a customer can file.

24/7 Claims Service

No matter the time of day, customers can open a claim. First American offers a 24/7 service request hotline where you can make service calls at any time as well as a user-friendly online customer portal. First American has a nationwide network of workers and prescreens every service contractor and requires them to complete a probationary period to ensure customer satisfaction standards are met through customer survey results.

Online Homeowner Center

First American offers an easy-to-use online homeowner center for all of its customers. From this portal, a customer can open and track their claims, view their contract details, renew their home warranty, and manage communication preferences.

The Bad

• Nationwide Service Unavailable
  • First American Home Warranty Reviews
  • Extra Cost for Air Conditioning Coverage

Nationwide Service Unavailable

First American provides coverage in 38 states and the District of Columbia. There is a tool on its website that allows for a zip code lookup to determine if First American provides coverage for customers in a particular state. Unfortunately, if you are out of First American’s coverage area, you are unable to receive its services.

First American Home Warranty Reviews

First American Home Warranty has some negative reviews highlighting bad customer service, delayed and lengthy response and service time, and hidden fees on appliances. We suggest reading through First American Home Warranty reviews before making a final purchasing decision.

Extra Cost for Air Conditioning Coverage

Many home warranty providers offer air conditioning as part of their premier plan or combo plan, but First American Home Warranty only offers an AC unit as additional coverage with an extra fee you add to your chosen plan. This may be a problem for customers looking to have air conditioning as part of their prearranged plan. However, because the AC unit isn't covered in First American Home Warranty's two main plans, this is what makes the company's warranty cost cheaper than most.

The Bottom Line

With 35+ years of experience and a large network of service providers (each contractor is reviewed and put through a probation period to ensure customer satisfaction), First American Home Warranty has comprehensive protection with high coverage limits for major appliances and systems. With a competitive cost and service call fee and multiple plan options, First American Home Warranty gives you more value for your money and covers customers with flexible payment options for various budgets.

The company offers a basic plan for customers that are looking for more standard coverage, as well as a premier plan for homeowners wanting more robust coverage. Additional add-on items are also available for coverage so consumers can pick and choose other major systems and appliances they want covered. Note that First American Home Warranty only covers the wear and tear of major appliances and systems. Like most home warranty companies, First American does not cover pre-existing conditions.

When compared to other home warranty companies, First American Home Warranty has a competitive monthly cost and service fee. Some warranty providers charge upwards of $600 per year with a $100 service fee.

First American Home Warranty created its home warranty programs with not just homeowners in mind but network service providers and real estate professionals as well. Typically, for whichever home warranty plan you select, the service contract will last for one year.

If you want to learn about what customers think of the company, such as response time, customer service, and quality of repair, check out First American Home Warranty reviews below.

Call our recommended rep over at First American Home Warranty below.

3.9

Paul Rancho Santa Margarita, CA

Just an awful warranty company that actually makes you feel helpless when in need. It was such a painful experience. I hope that at the least, this helps others by seeing the pain this company causes. Within my area, First American cycles between 2 pool companies for pool repairs whom have no business being around pools but are well trained to know exactly what voids FAH warranties. And if one was to review those companies reviews they would see similar issues like mine and similar claims like mine. For this particular issue - a crack in the main filter, the cause determined by their contractor was due to a dirty filter which he then told me would void the warranty. Mind you, this determination was made when he knocked on my front door and w/out seeing the equipment. He proceeded to prove to me that was the cause and then told me First American will void this but ill still submit. I did tell him i had a professional pool company that just cleaned the filter 3 months ago, which he told me they are lying to me. What followed was 3+ weeks of complete hell. I called the First American call center and submitted a complaint about this guy and his accusations that my filter is not clean and that this would void my warranty. I told FAH i have proof it has been cleaned and I will get outside vendors to come and diagnose also since its obvious it has to be replaced. -The outside contractors laughed at the idea one would consider this a dirty filter and they all determined it to be the life of the housing for the reason. Onee contractor flat out said its a scam if they think this filter caused that crack. Also note, I have a very well known pool service company that comes out weekly to maintain the pool and cleans the filter religiously every 6 months. And all of that proof was sent to FAH. Also, the findings of the other contractors were also sent with their estimates. I followed up daily either by their general claim review email (where they asked me to send all my emails) or the call center. My pool equipment has been off for 3+ weeks and the water was actually harmful to be in, my salt water had to have chlorine dumped to combat the equipment (My child is allergic to chlorine) and since that obviously didn't work since all the equipment is off, my pool service company + and an outside contractor said they cant do weekly service until i get the water treated and or drained and/or get this filter replaced today. So, i document that, beg them to respond or tell me what to do, even asking if its ok if i just purchase it and send it to my only lifeline at First American - the general email that ive never heard from and the call center. Hear nothing from email (5+ days) and call center give me the same 2 options: File a complaint (which would be the 3rd one and i know they aren't documenting them or escalate). However, this time based on the scenario they advised to not do any more damage to the pool so to handle that and then they would continue the escalation internally. So i had not other choice then to replace it. I got that done and emailed and called the sources again and told them. The next day I finally get a call (how convenient) but it was to tell me that my claim is denied b/c i replaced it myself it and that they had assigned another one of their contractors to make a 2nd diagnosis (3 weeks later they tell me this) but since i replaced it its all is void and she had the nerve to tell me that this completes your request. By the way, the 2nd contractor they were brining out is the same company currently working on my pool heater. When i say working on it - I mean they came out, super rude and unprofessional, scared my kids when they went straight into my backyard (when i requested they don't) - which they entered on the wrong side and proceeded to walk, across my large backyard through the kids playing and over to the other gate to the pool. They then blamed the pool heater not working was due to it not being cleaned (b/c of spiders in the pipes and it needed to be cleaned (and would not look at the errors it was throwing). Notice the cleaning trend. "I dare you to google first american home warranty pool repairs cleaning" and research the trend. B/c Ive dealt with this before, I had my pool company clean the heater, but this company said they have to clean it so they can be ensured its not that.. So they charged me $150 to clean it and then 2 days later the same issues were still going on. This was over 7 weeks ago. For the past 6+ weeks, they haven't been able to schedule to come back and take a look at it. Actually they called me once at 7am asking if they can be at my house at 9am and i was not in town but haven't heard back in 2 weeks. This is the company First american was lining up to be their 2nd opinion (which i'm sure would of taken weeks to come out based on the heater situation). At the end of the day, I paid for the filter (which should of clearly been under warranty and proven by 3 contractors) + now I am paying for treating the water b/c i waited those 5 days thinking FAH would respond, even though it had been 3 weeks going. Not sure what else I could of done, I had to replace it because it was becoming a health hazard and I gave every opportunity for this company to help, i contacted them daily, tried to be proactive and tell them the outlook just looking for the help they promised when i signed up for them. Never again will I make that mistake by choosing First American and I hope you don't either.

Mitchell Istre Lufkin, TX

I am so upset with FAHW. We sold our home and called and spoke with Brenda on 3/16/21, Alfred on July 9th(to cancel) and it was not disclosed that we would be charged for any repairs that FIRST AMERICAN PAID OUT...ridiculous. We wanted to transfer the home warranty to our new home in Lufkin, TX, but FAHW does not offer services in our area...NOT OUR FAULT. The new home owners did not want home warranty services, also not our fault. We knew of the $50 cancellation fee, but in our conversations with Brenda and Alfred, no mention was made about the deduction from our refund for what Fst American paid out....we are being penalized an additional $200 because we sold our home and they do not offer services where we currently live. If you are reading this post----look elsewhere for home warranty services. Better yet...hire a local handyman and support a local business. Shame, shame on FAHW.

Marriah powell Los Angeles, CA

My AC was broken for 6 weeks in over 100 degree weather. I caught the contractor and warranty company in lies. I finally gave up called a local company and paid out of pocket. They had it fixed in an hour. I paid $55 a month for the warranty a $75 deductible. Had to buy a $400 AC for my bedroom so I could sleep. Had to eat out every day because it was to hot to cook. My electric bill went up because the little AC ran 24/7 trying to keep my bedroom cool. I basically lived in my bedroom for the 6 weeks. So in the end I could pay $675 to fix the AC myself. The only good thing is the local rep is helping me get reimbursed for some of the money I had to pay out.

Harrison Menlo Park, CA

I had issues arise with both my refrigerator and dryer after purchasing a new home and in both cases the technician failed to contact me or show up to at least one of the appointments I scheduled. First American made no effort to assist me in working through these scheduling challenges and did not treat this issue with any degree of concern or priority. As a company that operates as a middle-man between a consumer and a service technician, I find this to be completely unacceptable. Their role is to streamline this process but at every step in the process they only served to further waste my time (e.g. sitting on hold, talking to First American representatives who were either unwilling or unable to address my issues, etc) and to cause me more frustration. In retrospect, even though I had two repairs which would seem to have made this purchase a cost effective one for me, I regret purchasing a home warranty from First American on account of the hassle and frustration they introduced into my repairs. I will never purchase any service from them again and strongly recommend others steering clear of them.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Harrison. Thank you for your review. We have sent you a message for additional information.

Jul. 8th, 2021

George Stavri Las Vegas, NV

I dont like anything about this company. With few exceptions this company actions are misleading on the border of fraudulent. My last 2 experiences were horrendous. Couple of months ago the washer started making grinding noises. We called the warranty. After paying $75 the serviceman told us without a through investigation that the center post is out of alignment because we are washing too many clothes. Hello ?? As of result they denied fixing the machine. Prior to this incident we called because the electricity at the 2nd floor was inadequate coming and going. The home insurance electrician came and said the reason the fuse is tripping is because we are using an outlet with and extension with multiple outlets. Because of this he said they will not fixed it because the problem is outside of the coverage. What ? What was plugged in there were tv screen and monitors. Mind you the panel is 200 amps. Subsequent to paying the $75 we called a professional troubleshooter from a very large electric company. He fixed the problem and told us that what the insurance company was telling us IS PURE "BOGUS". I also think our phone number and email is on their blacklist as I can't go through to them to place another claim. DO NOT INSURE WITH THIS COMPANY. I would love to give them some TV space so everybody can learn how bad this company is.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello George. Thank you for your review. We have messaged you for additional information.

Jul. 9th, 2021

Bolo Bucketz Chandler, AZ

I have been out of AC almost a month now. They sent a company to my house that misreported the issue, saying my unit was missing components so it wasnt covered. I paid out of pocket for a 3rd party HVAC company (with a better reputation) and they said all the parts are there, and that the unit is very old and should be replaced. So I called FAHW back and they sent another company. The tech went on the roof for 10 minutes and the air started blowing cold. He said it was a "bad wire". The next day, the air went out again. The claim is reopened and I have to wait another week for one of their techs to come back. Its 115 degrees in Phoenix, AZ right now! Am I paranoid for thinking this company is doing everything they can to avoid replacing this unit?

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Bolo. Thank you for your feedback. We have sent you a message requesting additional information.

Jun. 22nd, 2021

Phil Carpenter Hamburg, MI

First American sets you up on an annualized payment schedule on your credit card then makes it very difficult to cancel. This results in months of credit card Billings . I had to cancel my credit card to stop their payments. I emailed all the documents they requested which they said they never received and continued billing me. I would rank them as scammers and give them the lowest possible rating.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Phil. Thank you for your feedback. Our records do indicate that at this time your contract has been cancelled. However, at the time of the sell of your home we never received your written request to cancel your contract.

May. 4th, 2021

Ron l Spartanburg, SC

AC units not working had to wait 1 week for scheduled appointment and was cancelled day of without knowledge due to overbooking tech, rescheduled for 1 week and same thing happened again. Was rescheduled again and no help from First American Warranty. 4 weeks with AC units not working. Unable to speak with management or get satisfaction. Automated system with reps that are no help with resolutions. Sears is their vendor and unable to speak to a person.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Ron. We appreciate your feedback. We has reached out to you for additional information.

Jun. 22nd, 2021

Mike Bonfiglio Ellerbe, NC

I have had a policy with First American for at least 7 years now. For whatever reason, they have been miserable the previous 3 [of 7] years. I'll tell you about one incident in particular. In the beginning of March I filed a claim to have my upstairs (two-zone) air conditioner fixed because it was not blowing cold air. About a week later, the assigned company comes out and he inspected my A/C unit. The technician determined the relay switch needed to be replaced, but it had to be ordered. A few week later the technician comes back out and he changes the relay switch. However, the A/C still was not working. Therefore, the technician determined the compressor needed to be replaced. I got three (3) emails from First American regarding the replacement of the compressor after the technician made his recommendation to First American. The first email was April 1, and it indicated they were reviewing the contractor's notes. The other two emails came on April 5. One email authorized the repair and the second email said they [First American] ordered the compressor. I later came to find out, from the technician himself, that First American orders the parts, not the contractors. Per the technician, First American did not order a factory (original) part. It was a compressor that operator/sounded completely different [compared the the original compressor that broke and the original compressor on the downstairs unit]. As a matter of fact, the part they ordered was missing pieces and the technician had to leave the job site to purchase the parts he needed to complete the job. Between 2-3 weeks later, I called the assigned contractor because I had not heard from them, despite the First American email saying the compressor was ordered. However, I did not get an answer (there was a consistent pattern of the contractor never answering the phone, which resulted in he and I playing "telephone tag.") so I left a message. He called me later on the same day and scheduled an appointment for the next day. This is where it gets good. The technician came out and replaced the compressor, thus fixing my upstairs A/C unit. I actually think the technician.... and the technician alone... did a fantastic job. So, the job was finished and the technician came up to me and said he needed to collect $300. I thought he was joking, but he was serious. Apparently, First American was billing me $300 for out of pocket expenses that no one ever told me about.... ever. Not in an email, or in the work order, or a phone call, or any other form of communication. Per First American's FAQ section on their website, "...First American or the contractor will communicate this information and the associated costs." That never happened. I called the company and spoke to a supervisor about 5 minutes after the technician left. After being on hold for 20 minutes, I finally got her on the line. Per the supervisor, the only way I'd be able to get my $300 back was for them to send the contractor company back to my house and un-do all of the work they did. I said, "Fine, do that." That was a week ago and I still haven't heard anything from them. I just filed my complaint with the Better Business Bureau. If they can not help me to get my $300 back, then I have other avenues I intend to take.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Mike. Thank you for your review. We have sent you a message for additional information.

May. 7th, 2021

John Wilson Ironton, OH

Service took to long. I had to take 5 separate days off work even after I was told it would be replaced and the appliance isn't working 100%

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello John. Thank you for your review. We have requested additional information from you.

Jun. 8th, 2021

Debbie Las Vegas, NV

I requested two service at $85 a piece. Both service cost me $170 for nothing. They did not fix either issue. I requested a refund and they refused. I am very dissatisfied with this warranty company.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Debbie. Thank you for your feedback. We have reached out to you for additional information.

Jul. 16th, 2021

B San Diego, CA

Filed a claim for a defected electric stove. The technician was unable to fix it. I have been offer $150 to replace a $3000 electric build in oven. Impossible to speak to somebody in USA.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello B. Thank you for your feedback. We have messaged you for additional information.

Jul. 8th, 2021

Paul Port Orchard, WA

Worst company to work with! I have been waiting for one month now with out a working fridge! Terrible customer service. At this point I am still waiting for them to fix my not working refrigerator! 1 MONTH!

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi. Paul, we are sorry to hear that. At this time, we are doing all that we can to get you sooner service. Thank you.

Jul. 13th, 2021

david peterson Austin, TX

During a dangerous heat wave, they have delayed responding by three days, and are now claiming that it will take another five days to repair our A/C. The service technician explained that the problem is the warranty company (FAHW), not the parts or service. Do not use them, they will put you and your family at risk.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello David, Our records indicate Faith and Hope HVAC Services reported the condenser fan motor and capacitor needed replacement as they had failed. We authorized the repair. Please be advised, the condenser fan motor is expected to arrive between June 29, 2021 - July 1, 2021. Faith and Hope HVAC Services will contact you to schedule an appointment to install the part as soon as it has arrived. Thank you.

Jun. 23rd, 2021

miike Miami, FL

up until now good BUT THER ARE USING nana HOME SERVICES which doesn't have tecks for dallas/ft worth tx. nana failed to show last Friday from 4 to 8 pm and again today from 8-noon. don't buy this warranty co until u verify which service co will service you..had Sears come out here 3 times with good service and kept apps.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Miike. Thank you for your review. We have message for you for additional information.

Jun. 21st, 2021

Shawn

It is the worst company when it comes to home warranty.I have been waiting for two weeks now trying to get my AC done and all I get is the run around. They like to take your money for a service charge but don’t like to get the job done.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Shawn. Thank you for your feedback. We have reached out to you for additional information.

Jun. 16th, 2021

Brandon CA

They are really terrible. I had the AC go out on my condo and they kept scheduling it out to contractors who don’t even work on the building. Each mistake would cause an additional day of no AC delay. I finally had to find my own company yet it still took First American an additional 2 days to approve. I talked to 8 different people and spent 10 hours on the phone. My advice is use another warranty company,

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Brandon. We appreciate your feedback. We have messaged you for additional information.

Jun. 2nd, 2021

Mike Arlington, TX

Your monthly rate is high--have not received your promotional gift card, after almost 5 months. FAHW has no compassion for its loyal, faithful customers, in my opinion, all FAHW concerns is to make money, and not fair customer treatment relationship.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Mike. We are sorry to hear. We have messaged you for additional information.

Chuck Norton Pensacola, FL

I had a compressor go out on my refrigerator and requested service. They only had one contractor to that gave me a service date of 2 weeks off. I know how this company works from past experience with a AC. Took over a month to get it fixed. They actually had to replace it and YES charged me an extra $600 for the contractor. There was nothing in the fine print that allowed that. So not wanting to go without a refrigerator for 2 weeks plus the time for them to get a compressor and reschedule another appt, I called a local service company and paid them to fix the refrigerator. Fixed it the day I called. Useless warranty !

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Chuck. Thank you for your review, we understand your frustration. We have messaged you for additional information.

Kat Blue Phoenix, AZ

Horrible. I've been at my daughter-in-law's house helping with a newborn and her AC has been out far too long with no real attempt by First American Home Warranty to resolve the issue. This is her home warranty company and she lives in Phoenix where it's been over 90 degrees during every single day of this mess. She's had them out 4 times in the last year now for this same issue but it's never been fixed. She's paid their service fee each time yet there has been no resolution. In fact, we know now that the first couple times their techs simply flipped the breaker switch rather than addressing the issue that kept causing the breaker to flip. We also know now that the last tech who came out actually bypassed the main breaker which has now destroyed parts for the AC unit. The home warranty company just gives her the runaround and they have been without AC for nearly two weeks now in this weather with a newborn. On April 1, she called to talk with a supervisor but was told there were none available. On April 5, she was told that her claim was never elevated to a supervisor at all. On April 9, she was told again it was never elevated though she'd been on the phone with various supervisors all week long. She was told the parts still needed to be ordered and the contractor wasn't responding and various other asinine excuses while an infant, two other kids, and two dogs remain overheated day after day.... today is April 12 and there is still no AC.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Kat. Thank you for addressing the concerns, we will be in contact with the contract holder.

Christy Roswell, GA

This warranty company is incredibly difficult to deal with. They consistently assign poor contractors that cannot complete the repairs, but you are still charged the service fee for them coming out. They are slow to respond and make you jump through hoops to get anything repaired. When a third party contractor is needed and they actually approve it. They draw out reimbursing you forever!! I have spent way too many hours dealing with this terrible company. DO yourself a favor and just contact a professional to repair your appliance or whatever your issue and don't waste your money on this worthless warranty company.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Christy. We appreciate your feedback. We have messaged you for additional information.

Matthew Moore Virginia Beach, VA

Slow to fix any claims. I have waited over 30 days for repairs on multiple claims. They will replace only one small component at a time no matter how many failures a single piece of equipment has. If your A/C or heater goes out expect your home to be in the 90s or 40s depending on the season. Calls are not answered. Messages are not returned. Find another home warranty company! Do not sign up for this service!

Brenda

My first occasion to use my new home warranty has been a huge disappointment.. my microwave stopped working in 11/15 andI immediately reported it and was told the claim would be filed... which it was and in 36 hours Sears sent an email that Sears service department would be ti my home on DECEMBER 29....6 WEEKS AWAY!!! to repair a microwave!! I called FAHW again yesterday to question the time stated and was told Sears would call within 4 hours... 2 days later, I'm still waiting!!!

Stephen Boviall Kennesaw, GA

We had them check out two appliances. They do everything they can to put a band aid on it so they don't have to replace it. In the end we bypassed them and made the purchase on our own. Our AC unit was going out. We had it looked at professionally ourselves and was told it needed replaced. The warranty had someone look at it and they said it needed replaced. The warranty had another person, a one man company, and said it needed cleaned. That's what they went with. Rather than pay $350 for a cleaning, another service fee for them to come look at it, and then another $500 for the warranty, we just purchased a new furnace ourselves. It wasn't worth the hassle to keep putting a band aid on it.

Daniel Whitt Atlanta, GA

Customer service give off a "you're a sucker" vibe when asking about items in question. Submitting request to completion takes way to long. It has been pending for weeks.

victor espinoza Tucson, AZ

This company is horrible. They take their time to fix anything and then try to rip you off with swapping a $2500 dryer for a $750 one. No way, it's only 1.5 years old! On top of that they never completely repaired our fridge. The company that came out to fix it stated that it needs to be replaced, First American closed the claim. After many calls nothing happened. Stay away!

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Victor. Our records indicate you placed a claim on March 9, 2021 for your clothes dryer which does not stop spinning, even when turned off. First American dispatched an independent contractor, Arizona’s Heating and Cooling Doctor LLC, to diagnose the failure. The contractor reported the control board and two relays have burned out and recommended replacement of the parts. First American attempted to locate the parts, however, the parts are no longer available. On April 6, 2021, First American offered a replacement dryer as the parts for repair are not available. Per your home warranty contract, First American will replace with equipment of similar features, capacity and efficiency however does not match brand, color or dimensions. You declined the replacement offer and requested a cash payment. Per the home warranty contract, First American may offer a cash payment in lieu of repair or replacement at the company’s negotiated rates with suppliers which may be less than retail. On April 9, 2021, you accepted the cash payment in lieu of replacement. Please allow 7-10 business days for the processing and delivery of the check. Please be advised, First American considers your claim closed. Thank you.

Apr. 9th, 2021

Bobby Keith Johnson City, TN

I have been paying 59.50 month for approximately 5 years, in the event that I would be protected! So far I have only had a few small problems taken care of which I paid 75.00 for each call. I filed a claim a couple of years ago on my duct work which ended costing me 700.00 out of pocket. December 31st 2020 I filed a claim on our kitchen stove. The tech came out and said he had to order 2 parts for the stove. After many conversations with First American, I was promised about 3 weeks ago that they would replace it! They are still just talking and NOTHING IS BEING DONE! My wife and I are beyond livid! We've been without a stove for months now!!! I continue to get the run around ! They didnt want to replace my stove because of my manufacturers warrenty but im being told they cannot get the parts! My contract with First American Warranty reads repair or replace!!! They dont have to beg me to pay them every month but I certainly feel as though im begging them to hold up their end!!!!

Ehorton Houston, TX

Terrible company. Terrible customer service. They sent a used motor for our dishwasher. Even the contractor sent by them to install it, said it was used and they argued that it was not and wouldn’t buy a new one. Terrible customer service. A contractor came out for our pool heater and said the heater rusted out and needed to be replaced. I never heard another word from anyone for 3 weeks. I tried calling the contractor and they would never call me back. I logged into my account and it said the request was closed. After holding on the phone for an hour, they said the claim was denied because there wasn’t a gas regulator on the unit. We just bought the house and had the pool inspected when purchasing and there was no mention of this, plus the heater had worked for 3 months. They still denied the claim and would not give me a copy of the contractor’s report.

Steve Ross Corona del Mar, CA

I have yet to have First American agree to cover anything of any consequence. I've had three service calls on my HVAC system, and even though I pay extra for the coverage (and in fact only maintained the overall coverage because the HVAC units are aging) each time the contractor assigned has spent more time trying to find a reason not to cover a repair or replacement than they have on the problem itself. A condensor leak was due to "environmental conditions" - I live by the ocean so I'm not sure how salt air is a surprising or exculsionary condition. After replacing the condensor out of my own pocket there was an issue with the heat pump coil - a completely different component that is located inside the house - and that is also not being covered. Previously I was refused service on a bidet which is integrated into our master bathroom toilet. I had to explain to the call center what a bidet was and how it was a component of the toilet. After multiple phone calls I finally gave up and had the unit serviced by a local contractor (and it turned out to be an issue with the toilet rather than the bidet component). Every service event ends up as an argument about coverage - clearly there is a powerful disincentive for a contractor to approve a replacement unit. First American's entire system seems to built upon the premise that nothing is ever actually covered under their policy - unless you can prove otherwise. In other words, if you are counting on your First American plan to cover any major item, don't. You are far better off to have a reputable local contractor deal with any issues. Their HOW plan is a frustrating waste of money.

Marissa & Nathaniel Bianco North Las Vegas, NV

If I could give zero stars I would. We called to put a request in for for our new homes refrigerator and an agent actually answered the phone SINGING and was very very very obviously under the influence of alcohol/drugs. So extremely disrespectful!!!! And then when we did get "help" they said they wouldn't be able to come to our house until the end of the next week. So we had to go out and buy a brand new refrigerator because we have 3 kids and all of our food was completely ruined. Hands down absolute WORST customer service my husband and I have ever received.

Samuel McDowell Hailey, ID

Customer service is pitiful, completely unhelpful. They are unable to resolve even the most simple problems.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Samuel. Thank you for your review. We have requested additional information you to review this.

Jul. 24th, 2021

Kalyl Traore Chesapeake, VA

I signup for my appliances protection, and had an issue with my microwave since 24 February 2021. I am still waiting to today.

Santiago Ruiz de Gopegui Quesada Greenville, SC

After a cost of over $600 for the home Warranty and paying a $75 service fee, two weeks later they tell me they are not covering what the contractor has told them needs to be done to have the washing machine working properly since water backs up trough the drain tube into my laundry room floor. Why do i need a Home Warranty if they charge me a service fee and a high year fee and still don't fix the problem? Don't get caught in this scam. Guess that's why they need to advertise themselves all the time making promises and offers they do not cover.

Missy Renee Aptos, CA

Is negative a option? This is the worst company with the worst service. My oven has been broken for 5 months. I have spent hours on hold on phone they never call back they hire useless technicians. Its a complete rip off. Check consumer affairs they have countless complaints against them. They even have a face book page dedicated to the fact that they are a rip off... terrible customer service, they dont follow through with there contract that says they will replace the appliance if unable to repair

TexasJoe Cypress, TX

I just cancelled the service. Had a pipe break and was told it would not be covered as it was due to freezing. Also when they have replaced any broken items the replace with the cheapest bottom of the line brands that soon break again. Will just bank the $58 per month I was paying them and cover the repairs myself from the savings. Don't buy this warranty.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi TexasJoe. Our contract provides coverage of system and appliances that fail through normal wear and tear. Pipes due to freeze are not covered. You may refer to your home warranty contract for the items listed as covered. Thank you.

Feb. 24th, 2021

Sue M Beasley

failed me on 1st claim- sent out a tech that didn't know his job-ended up costing me almost $ 300.00- then turner down my claim on cracked toilet tank-said they only cover normal wear and tear-I thought flushing a toilet was normal wear and tear!!!!!~normal

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Sue, We would like to apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during the handling of your claim. First American's records indicate you placed a claim for a plumbing stoppage and a cracked toilet. First American dispatched an independent contractor, All Hours Emergency Plumber LLC who reported the septic tank needed pumped as it was full. In addition, they reported the toilet cracked as a result of physical force which is not normal wear and tear. Please be advised, This Contract covers only the items specifically identified in this Contract as covered and excludes all others. In addition, Liability is limited to repair or replacement cost of Item due to normal wear and tear. You may refer to your home warranty contract under the section marked Important and Limits of Liability, Number Three. First American considers this claim closed.

Nov. 4th, 2020

Norm

Terrible service. A recent example is when a 35 year old ceiling fan's light switch broke from inside its housing. The technician stated to me that it wasn't covered as it was classified as not normal wear and tear; additionally, he laughed and said they didn't tell you about their exchange policy?

Liz Tampa, FL

I have been waiting two months to get my AC fixed ( Service Request #310584906). The contractor that was hired took 3 visits and over a month to figure out what was wrong. My requests to send a technician that was certified on my system were denied multiple times. Now First American has ordered the wrong part twice. During this process I have been hung up on/disconnected from their phone system multiple times. Additionally, ever service representative I speak with has a different story on what is going on. The service representative assigned my case won't return any of my phone calls or emails. Unbelievably bad service.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

First American Home Warranty apologizes for any inconvenience the consumer may be experiencing during the handling of their claim. First American’s records indicate the contractor, Prime Service Incorporated, found an additional failure, of the thermostat after the condenser was replaced. First American has authorized the thermostat replacement and ordered the part accordingly. Once the part is ready for pick up, the contractor will be in contact with the consumer to schedule a mutually convenient appointment for job completion. First American considers this claim pending.

Jan. 15th, 2021

Summer Rhorer Irvine, CA

What a terrible experience. It feels like they try to make you jump through so many hoops to frustrate you to the point that you don't even want to deal with them and just give up on their service (which is what I did). The furnace in the home we purchased went out. The sellers purchased a warranty through First American. We are in the colder months and they have dragged this out for so many weeks. The adults in the house can survive, but my two toddlers are always cold. They have zero sense of urgency, no empathy or desire to fix the issue. I always have to call them- they never respond through the messaging system and each time I call it is at least an hour wait on hold. They are a bureaucratic mess, with so many departments and approvals and steps. It has been 5 weeks since I opened my claim and I still have no solution. Also, the HVAC contractor they sent was unprofessional, slow and I had no confidence in them. They never answer their phone or respond to messages. I will never in a million years recommend First American.

Vee Oberoi San Jose, CA

This service is awful, and I do not recommend it to anyone. I have been waiting 5 days now for a service request to be fulfilled. They claim 24 hours but it’s not true, you don’t get what you pay for with them. After waiting approx 1 hour to get on the phone with someone, they proceed to go through a list of contractors to help with your problem. Well, my operator went through the whole list and said no one was answering or could help me. She proceeded to put me on hold for a reimbursement program where I would be reimbursed for hiring my own private person to help me. But when she put me on hold, she hung up the line. This company is awful, please look into other ones and save yourself the money and time!

Marilyn Benton, AR

I turned in a work order for my microwave oven about two and a half weeks ago. After waiting a week for an appointment for the service tech from Sears to fix it, he came said he could fix it but he wasn't going to because he didn't feel comfortable taking it down and putting it back up. He left without doing a thing. So I called 1st American again. They had a service tech come out almost a week later from another company. The new Tech said he could fix it and he didn't mind taking it down and putting it back up, but he would have to write a report and see if they would pay for the part it needs. So now 2 days later I called 1st American again to see if they authorized the part. Today is Tuesday. The customer service agent told me to call back Friday because it had to have time to go through the authorization process. This is ridiculous. Friday it will be almost 3 weeks since I first turned in the work order. And to add to this complaint. Every time I call I spend close to an hour holding on to talk to someone, then I get hung up on. I call back and hold another 30 minutes to talk to an agent. This has happened every singe time I call. So far I have had a terrible experience with First American. I do not recommend them.

Lucian Roark Houston, TX

It has now been another week with no activity. No replacement of parts. No repair. Voicemails and messages with no response. We are almost at 2 months with no heat, freezing temperatures, and an infant at home. The entire thing is a scam. They take your money, make you pay for the $75 service calls, then reject the repair, are unable to diagnose, or reroute you. They asked us to source our own contractor after a month of not being able to get one out. Then they rejected reimbursement, even though they had previously provided an e-mail authorizing reimbursement. We have spent hours on the phone, complained to the BBB (of which they have a B rating and 2.98 review rating) We are out hundreds of dollars, in addition to the cost of service calls, and still have no resolution. Meanwhile they fail to respond or take action, regardless of the impact to our safety and living condition, and they "can't verify the repair is needed" even they can't get it to work, and their contractor is admittedly unable to diagnose the issue.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Lucian, We would like to apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during the handling of your heating claim. Our records indicate you were provided with a cash payment of $3526.00 in lieu of the furnace replacement. The check was mailed on January 7, 2021. At this time, your claim is considered closed. Thank you.

Mar. 16th, 2021

Helen Kamin

They lied about when emergency service would take placeplace. No return phone calls when indicated they would with status information. Representative refused to let me speak with a supervisor. Don''t think they really have them as all calls were answered in El Salvador or Guatemala. Request to have ac issue turned in as emergency due to severe health issues. Request was turned in as normal. Service took more than 5 days with emergency status. This is unacceptable. After more than 15 years with a company, one does not ex

Richard Angell

First America Home Warranty does not have the network to serve the smaller cities. I requested service from a plumber, electrician and locksmith. First America told me they had no one in their network that could provide service. I was told to find my own provider and they would reimburse me less the service fee. I did find my own people for less than the cost of the service fee. If First America can't provide service for the small things, what are the odds they will help with the major things.

Robin Huntington, WV

Horrible service! Continued to send sub par contractors to my home. I even asked for a different contractor and couldn’t get one... there is cheaper and better options available

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Robin. Thank you for your review. We have messaged you for additional information.

Apr. 26th, 2021

LaTonya Farmer

On top of you never can get anyone on the line, customer service sucks. They're very limited to what they cover; and charges regardless of your dissatisfaction.

Fedak ,

Horrible experience don't waste your money, I am paying monthly the dues but when it came to my first claim, I had to pay 75$ for every single thing that is not working in my stove because it's different clain This is SCAM HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE, DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY like i did, no good customer service, I give them zero star

Deonte Dawson Lincolnton, NC

I am currently not impressed with the Home Warranty company. The current screened technician provides no details on the parts ordered or when they are scheduled to arrive. First American only allows you to contact them through telephone and even then it is hard to locate the proper department for help.

brad Burleson, TX

it has been over a month since the tech came out and I do not have a microwave, tech said the parts to repair were not available that day yet they have drug it out for over a month

Desiree Edmond, OK

Service requests take too long (one week is too long). Once the service repairman determined it needs replacing, we are still waiting 4 days later with no info or decision from the warranty company.