First American Home Warranty

8.1

Em P Colleyville, TX

Worst customer service ever. No corporate phone number. You get to speak with someone in the US when signing up and after that never again. Their El Salvador call center SUCKS. their repair vendors hate them. They consistently put their customers last in line to service. Don't just run away from these losers RUN AWAY FAST

Scott Scherff Shelbyville, KY

Terrible customer service. Does not get back to you with regards to questions. Gives you the run around on repairs and was unable to get contractors out to fix my water heater or air conditioner. My furnance went out and they sent someone to repair or replace. It's a replacement but now they want 882 for modifications. Cool... But what modifications and why? No answer. I got my answers though through American Shield... The same day I asked. First American is still avoiding and its been 2 weeks.

Monique Newhall, CA

The contractors they hire to fix the issue are not good. The two times I had someone come out to fix a plumbing issue could not diagnose the problem or fix it. I then paid an outside plumber and problem was fixed with no hassle both times. Which led to cost more being I had to pay first American and the outside plumber I hired. I had submitted a claim showing what the plumber did because it was something that the warrenty covered and they denied to refund what I had paid even with proof. Do not choose this home warrenty company. I’ve had another in the past and they were a much better company

April Milliken Sacramento, CA

I was about to change home warranty companies as I was very dissatisfied with 1st American. Long waits on the phone and no supervisors to talk to. Then they instituted a much better on line system where you can place an order and have a vendor to call within minutes. When the vendor has not called me back, or has too long of a lead time, I tell them on line and they immediately send me another contact. The system has been much improved and I have 4 policies with them. Do everything on line with 1st American and you should have minimal problems. They've also upgraded their vendors through on line feedback from their customers. Much,much more responsive now. Much better than American Home Shield. I have no experience with the other home warranty companies.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you for the feedback, April. We are happy to hear that the improvements we are making internally are making a difference for our customers.

Jun. 17th, 2019

Larry Newberry La Quinta, CA

First American Home Warranty will eventually repair your unit. However they will delay action until they run out of lies. Each time you speak with a rep you get a different answer. At the present time we are debating if our toilet is covered under the plan. This has been going on since Dec 6th and one day it is covered and the next day it isn't. The only thing that is prompt with this company is the date they withdraw the money from your bank account. They never miss a date.

Jerry Bennion Independence, MO

Does not do what they advertise. Was unable to provide service on emergency situation. Stated that they refunded one months fee, but there has been no refund. Not an honorable company from my experience. In fact I am looking in to filing suit .

Deanna Thompson Hemet, CA

Don't waist your money your stuff will never get fixed weeks with water

jyoti Exton, PA

First American Home Warranty has been a nightmare for us. I will NOT recommend them to anyone. The contractors does not respond to request right away. You have to keep calling them. One they assign a contractor, we are at the mercy of the contractor. Save yourself the extra headache and GO FOR ANOTHER WARRANTY COMPANY

Preet Kaur Hundal Placerville, CA

First American Home Warranty has been a nightmare for us. I would NOT recommend them to anyone. They double charge on service fees, they dont respond to request right away. You have to keep calling them. The staff is very unprofessional. Save yourself the extra headache and do not give them your business.

Deepak K Livermore, CA

Review on FAHW: BAD.. BAD and Very BAD experience from FAHW and am really skeptical if you are real company. The issue on water heater was raised on 14th and today it is 20th and till date the issue is not resolved. The contract company you guys sent said that they are placing the manufacturers warranty for the parts and they waiting for it and when we called them for update ,, they just put us on hold for 40 minutes and disconnected the call. every single time same experience. I have been calling FAHW as well as you guys don't have courtesy to update customer on status nor to acknowledge the messages .. Such a bad company FAHW. Finally when I called today FAHW mentioned that the manufacturer warranty product should be covered under them but the fact is the Manufacturer warranty will be covered only if I am the primary purchaser of the product where as I am a home buyer here and the manufacturer will not cover the warranty to new buyers. As a home warranty company you guys should be knowing this and I wonder why you guys redirected to manufacturers warranty.. I wonder why in the world would we need to add water heater to extended coverage with home warranty(FAHW) if you guys wont cover and redirect to manufacturers warranty. Finally in this case as the Manufacturers warranty don't cover this.. Please go ahead and do the needful to have my water heater fixed and working by today as already am suffering without water heater for last 1 week and along with it bad service and lot of time waste in calls with you guys as well as off days from work and stress out of all these.

Ashley B Katy, TX

Have been waiting 6 weeks for a microwave repair under Home Warranty. Multiple excuses that part can not be located. Filed repair request 6 weeks ago for an inoperable microwave. The repairman came said he had to order part returned with part Sept 28 microwave would not work said he needed a different part. Still waiting for that different part. Calls to the contractor and First American have gone unanswered. Calls to customer service are never returned or endless wait and hang up. Worst Home owners warranty I have ever had,

Wendy Gianini Renton, WA

Thank you First American Home Warranty!! We bought all new appliances (refrigerator, oven, dishwasher, washer and dryer) in May 2016 when we purchased our home. After a major issue with our home in February 2018 that we paid out of pocket for because we did not have a home warranty I did research on home warranty companies and was very Leary from the bad reviews. After much review of the company and drilling our salesman about the bad reviews I read online we decided to give First American a chance. It was the best decision we made, there is a 30 day waiting period after you sign up. The company asks you about the status of your appliances currently and since they were all brand new they were all working fine. Three weeks after our home warranty became active after the 30 day waiting period our refrigerator suddenly stopped working. We put in a claim with the warranty company and Sears came out to survey the issue within a week. Sears said the refrigerator had a leak of coolant in the motor department and would need major repair. First American approved the repair, after the parts were ordered and arrived Sears came back and installed the parts. Unfortunately that did not fix the issue, we still had a refrigerator that was 70 degrees. We called First American again and they sent Sears back out and it was determined the refrigerator needed to be replaced. First American purchased a new refrigerator for us under our home warranty! The only complaint I have is the communication between First American and us could of been a lot better. We had to call First American MANY times to keep the ball rolling forward or find out the status of repairs or replacement. If First American reads this review, please improve your communication with customers it will eliminate some of the frustration for customers.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Robert. Thank you for your feedback. Have a good day.

May. 6th, 2020

tom jenkins El Paso, TX

had a plumbing emergency on a Sunday morning...attempted to call First American...was put on hold...never answered...I had to contact a plumber....asked First American for partial reimbursement...they refused...I have been a loyal customer for 5 years....I'm finished with First American and would definitely not recommend....

robert Brandon, MS

In September of 2018, I filed a lawsuit against First American Home Warranty for breach of contract (FAHW). FAHW charged me $1,880.00 for replacing my A/C condenser and evaporator coils. I contacted the company but they failed to resolve the overcharge. During the trial FAHW tried to cite section 6 of the contract to justify the $1,880.00 charge. The judge ruled that the section was invalid and that it contradicted the terms of its own contract. The judge awarded me the entire sum of $1,880.00. If you check BBB, YELP and other sites you will see that thousands of customers have been mistreated by this company. If you have experienced a similar misdeed by FAHW, you can file a civil lawsuit.😊

Kimba Redding, CA

Actually, my rating is ZERO stars for the following reasons: 1. FAHW never sent me a contract. Why don't they want me to see the contract? I called and asked them to send me a copy. Three weeks later, still no contract. 2. Ordered service for repair of dishwasher and faucet. FAHW sent a contractor to fix the faucet and he told my tenant that the contract doesn't cover the faucet, and then told my tenant to pay him cash, which she did. Unethical contractor and ignorant FAHW employee for not knowing what is or is not covered. Now FAHW is attempting to charge me a $75 fee for sending out a contractor who wasn't under contract. I'm not paying it. 3. FAHW scheduled Sears to fix the dishwasher. I called Sears to provide the brand of dishwasher, and Sears told me they don't service that brand of dishwasher. Good thing I called! FAHW told me to find my own contractor and then ask for reimbursement of the cost. I told FAHW it is their obligation to find a contractor as that is why I purchased the contract. This has been going on for over two weeks now, and no resolution in sight. I called customer service yesterday and spoke with an employee who knew nothing about the prior service requests, so I had to start back at square one and re-explain everything. After a few minutes, the line went dead. She never called me back, which kind of indicates to me, that maybe she ended the call. It was very apparent she was either new to the business or just plain ignorant. I wish I had NEVER purchased this crappy contract. What a hassle and waste of my money.

Adriana R Handszer Spring, TX

The water tank didn't work properly and I called First American to begin a claim. A representative had told me that because of a recall of the tank, they couldn't send a repairman to fix it. I contacted the manufacturer of the tank only to find out that the tank was never recalled. I called First American again and even though they had the notes from my previous call, I had to explain my whole case again. I explained that the tank was not recalled and they would not believe me. Their customer service is appalling, it has been a month ever since they found out that the tank was never recalled and the tank is still broken.

Elijah Kariuki Maryville, TN

Make sure you read the fine print on the agreement. If they had a zero or less would reflect my actual rating of the company. Most new homes have tile and grout in the bathrooms and kitchen, but more specifically the bathroom is where you will have a leak... A major leak. If you are in the majority like I am and have a newly remodeled or upgraded new home then you more than likely have tile in the bathroom...THEY WILL NOT COVER ANY LEAKS IN THE BATHROOM... if they have to work around tile.

Scott Acworth, GA

Contractor doesn't contact me twice and I wait for them to find another contractor only to be told they won't switch contractors to one that will actually call me back. HORRIBLE customer service. I was actually told not all employee know the correct information when they tell me what is covered. I would never use them again.

B.B. Satellite Beach, FL

Total Air Care - unethical, immoral, fraudulent. Avoid at all costs. Our A/C died 24 July 2018 and we contacted First American Home Warranty (FAH) the next morning via their on-line appointment request and via telephone. Three days later (!!!) Total Air Care (TAC)'s tech came out, saw that pressure was low in our condenser, and topped it off. Two days later, the same problem happens again. Obviously there's a leak somewhere. Second visit took FOUR days to get the technician out - he diagnosed a bad condenser coil (leaking) and told me they would replace it provided the home warranty covered it. FAH decided to replace it, and here's where it goes sideways - well. More sideways than the ridiculous waits for people to come out and take a look. I fought FAH for THREE WEEKS to get them to order the correct equipment. Our home is equipped with a 4 ton air handler and condenser, and they ordered a 3.5 ton replacement for both. I spent over 8 hours on the phone with multiple people who all gave me different stories, provided pictures of the make and model, the manufacturer's documentation on how to decipher the model to derive capacity, and finally am assigned a claims specialist named Yvonne. I was contacted via email only after I complained on their web-based dashboard that I wasn't being helped and that my kids were suffering in the 90+ degree, 80%+ humidity of a Florida summer. So FINALLY, at 34 days of misery, the right equipment is available for pickup by TAC. I look at the portal, and see "Awaiting customer acceptance of non-covered charges". Huh? Never disclosed. When trying to contact TAC, expect to waste 4 hours of your day in their Parts and Service queue to be told by an overflow operator w/o access to anything useful with regards to status that "someone will call you" - you never get through to a person that can help, they do NOT respond to emails, and they will NEVER call you back. Here's what TAC submitted to me as "non-covered charges" - and wouldn't tell me over the phone, I had to get this from FAH: Permit fee: $199 dollars (permit fees in my area are $95. A like-for-like replacement does not require a permit). Manual J Load Calculation: $225 (TAC never ran one. One isn't required in my county. A Manual J calculation should be performed when DESIGNING a system, and takes into account thing like floor plan, cubic footage of air to be cooled, R ratings of insulation, windows, all of it, and not required during a like for like replacement). Float switch: $100 (Available for $24.99 on-line, more than 300% markup) Condenser pad: $150 (36" x 36" x 3" pad is $78 at Home Depot, 100% markup) SUP(ply)-RET(urn) modification: $375 (Installing an air handler dimensionally identical and no listing of REQUIRED modifications. Also note TAC did not perform a site survey, cost estimating, labor estimating, or materials estimate.) Programmable Thermostat to meet code requirement: $127 (Already have one, not required). R410A reclaim/recovery fee: $144 (System is empty, it's leaking, so no refrigerant in system..if this is a legal requirement I'd want them to state the code and section that requires it. Thy did not). Disposal Fee: $100 Condenser Tie Downs: $78 (A set of four of the same make as the manufacturer of the unit to be replaced are available on Amazon for $11.75. More than 500% markup). Locking caps: $79 ($30 bucks at Grainger, no explanation of requirements provided and more than 150% markup). Electrical Modifications: $550 (What modifications are required for an existing, code compliant installation? No site survey, cost estimating, labor estimating, or materials estimate performed. I'd want an itemized list of work to be performed with materials required as well as labor to be performed - what, to plug it in???). Drain Line modifications: $76 (Huh?) Code requirement Duct Certification: $175 (not required in my county) Total cost of non-covered items were: $2378 Total cost of replacement equipment if I purchased: $3172 Offered cash in lieu of replacement: $ ~$2000 FAH stated that they: - Do not set the charges from TAC - Do not advocate for customers with contractors - Do not release procured equipment to other contractors less predatory than TAC - Do not obtain second opinions on installation "non-covered" charges - Do not negotiate. Period. - Take the payout or pay TAC $2400 dollars, and have a nice day. If you've read this thus far, you're smart enough to figure this out...TAC unavailable for comment and FAH is useless. Avoid at all costs. Find another warranty company and NEVER let TAC work on your house. Tech was a good dude but company? Crooked as a dog's hind leg.

Luis Vazquez San Diego, CA

VERY BAD SERVICE!!! As soon as I required the first service, it immediately disappointed me! Submitting the claim was an easy process, but getting the actual service was a nightmare! Three weeks later, and calls-after-calls on my end to follow up, I had to decide to cancel the service and take care of my home coverage myself. They lacked communication to me as a customer. Days passed with no updates from them. I always had to call to make sure things progressed. They were not able to even track the delivery of the part I needed, and three weeks later, they told me that the part was available and waiting for pick up since the first week of the order. This was extremely frustrating! They don’t seem to know how to keep customers informed on their claims and are unable to provide delivery details to their customers. Moreover, they seemed to worry more about the contractor then the customer, by justifying additional delays from the contractor. They didn’t showed me a willingness to pressure the contractor to speed up the process or offer me a different contractor. Their customer service quality was passive and careless.

Carolyn Alta Conley Marietta, GA

They are completely incompetent. Nearly two months ago I reported a leaking pipe in my basement. But there was a glitch with their system so they didn't get my request. When they finally did send someone, the plumber said there were no leaking pipes it was the HVAC. The HVAC people said it was insulation and after 2 weeks of nothing, the HVAC people told me FIrst American doesn't do insulation. This morning I called a local guy who does HVAC, he took one look and asked why I didn't get the leaking pipe fixed. I called a local plumber who fixed the leaking pipe in less than an hour. THERE WAS A PIPE WITH A HOLE IN IT AND FAHW"S GUY DIDN"T SEE IT.

Gregory Isom Fairfield, CA

Very disappointed at how First American Home Warranty interact with there contracts in providing prompt service to paying customers, My Hot Water heater went out, I called my provider (FAHW) they contracted 3rd party, after several day went by they called and set up house call, The company came out and diagnose the problem, I gave them the authorization to order part, The parts company said they have the part in stock and that it would be several days before the part can be delivered, 2 weeks have gone by (No Part No Call From Contractor No Call From FAHW) I am totally disappointed, Imagine, My house has upstairs & over 3000 sq. ft. with Kids & children unable to take a proper bath because we have to boil water everyday and haul heavy water upstairs, is no reason this should take that long when Water Heaters is thee most common household appliance in a home that is usually readily available...I am holding my breath on a company that is unsatisfactorily at this point!

Toni Taylor San Juan Capistrano, CA

Our hot water heater broke down and so we called First American Home Warranty a man came out and said yes they will price the hot water heater and that's fine however it will cost an additional $478 to change a bunch of pipes. The pipes they change were not an obvious problem because the hot water heater worked otherwise it just had a leak in it. $478 is an awful lot of money to add to the Home Warranty. Talking about this with a group of women it seems that this is a common practice. They say yes we will cover your appliances and then the service provider comes in and add some enormous cost that don't necessarily need to be done. I was terribly disappointed in the whole thing I also is said to the man that our hot water recirculating pump wasn't working either in cookie fix that he said it's covered but I have to call again and have him come out again to take a look he didn't know whether it was working or not. He was right there an experienced plumber and couldn't tell me that the hot water heater wasn't working.

Thomas Joseph Irvine, CA

I would strongly recommend any prospective home warranty customer to avoid First American Home Warranty. I would rate them a zero if I could. I had restricted flow in my kitchen faucet. First American send a plumber who said that my pipes were clogged with hard water deposits; this was classified a flow restriction, which the company claimed was not covered, even though the contract provided had no such terms. They charged me the service fee for no service provided, which on complaining they reversed. I then hired a repipe plumber who inspected the pipes and said that there was no evidence of hard water buildup. He said that my issue was a "frozen angle valve." I called First American again. The customer service representative said he would send another plumber to resolve the issue. However, later another person called and said that since they will not since the problem was a "frozen" valve; the contract does not cover frozen pipes. I told him that my home is in Orange County, CA, where there was not a single day where temperatures were anywhere close to freezing. The plumber had meant that the valve was stuck. He said he could do nothing about it since that was the documentation I had provided. I told him that this was a case of mis-diagnosis by the First American plumber and that they are arguing with my plumber's language. I pointed out that "frozen" in English does not mean only "freezing due to cold" but also "stuck." It was clear that they had no intent to provide service. Grand waste of money with only aggravation to show for it.

louis c gaither Oakland, TN

I give them no rating on June 22nd I called to have my refrigerator repair its has now been36 days and no repair has been done

Roy Hampton Dallas, TX

On May 6 , I put a claim in unit not > blow cold air . Contractor Lumart Air Condition can out > replace compressor. I had to pay $600 out of pocket cost. > Unit was doing the same thing after repairs the next day. > Lumart was reassigned to come back out. Lumart came out deem > my entire unit bad attic and outside. I filed complaint with > BBB because First Am told me there was and out of > pocket cost $1450 and my $600 was gone with 1 st repairs > which was flaw. I was contact by a claim rep. I wont say her > name cause she currently working on my claim and I am given > her a chance to make this right before I seek counsel on > this matter. Back to nightmare my claim assigned to the rep > , and she subtract the $600 I paid earlier within this > claim. Which bout my out of cost back down to $850 for > replacement cost. Lumart came of replace unit 2 days > later I had a major leakage to to a.c. drain being > clogged which parts to out of pocket $850 was to cost a a > 2nd drain pan and flow switch. The leakage damages my > ceiling , my mattress , bed spring , comfort set , sheets , > and carpet. It leaked down in my master bed room damage the > ceiling and carpet also. I recorded and took pictures. I > send it to the Contactor and First Am. The contactor came > out repaired pvc piping clogged , but before this leakage I > informed the Lumart and First Am that unit blow heat on cool > mode when it reach set point. As Lumart was repairing the > leakage , I reminded them about the unit blow heat. Lumart > comfirmed the issues and stated they will have to replace > the thermostat but they contact me when they are back on my > side on town(Wow) right. I emailed First Am rep and request > another company come out and check my unit. Bless Air was > that contactor they can out and check and determinement the > Lurmart installment was flawed Lumart didnt vaccum the a.c. > line which how has plenty oil which is prevent unit from > supply 58*. Currenlty the unit is supply 68* with different > at return like 28* . I reach out the Claim Rep via email and > informed her the contractor comfirmed my complaint that > Lumart did a very bad job from the beginning. She told get > her est cost for damages and repairs and she will reach out > to Bless Air to get report. I sent her all est. and damages > as if was occur from leakage .Blessing Air came out July 14 > 2018. Today July 21, 2018. Its been a 103+ - 110* here in > Texas the last 2 week. I have 6 children that suffering > because this. I am out of $1450 on flaw repairs. The only > reason I has not file a lawsuit is because First Am has been > fair to me in the past outside of the claim and I am giving > this Claim Rep a opportunity to make this matter right , but > I will seek counsel if I need too.

Sherrill G. Norcross, GA

I had an issue with my refrigerator I called a technician came out. The technician told First American my kitchen floor wasn't level which is why the it was not working and based on the technician say they refused to do the repair. I questioned what the floor level had to do with it they would not answer. I cancelled the contract immediately. I had been with them 3 years prior to that. NEVER AGAIN!!!!

manuel g dinovitzer Encino, CA

I thought AHS was bad, but First America is 100% worse. I had 2 calls in one years, plumbing the first, the repairman never shows up, and he entered as a completed, took me 2 months to get the 2nd repairman to come in. The refrigerator stopped working after 10 years, they sent a repair person that tells me is a missing part, OK, who took the part? the repairman???

George Ra Phoenix, AZ

Our AC stopped working in May 2018. Having a sick 1 year old and it being in the high 90s in Arizona we were desperate to resolve this issue quickly. Good thing we pay First American every month for insurance in case this happens, right? Boy were we wrong! After struggling to schedule a repair in a reasonable amount of time they finally sent us a technician that seemingly had no idea what he was doing. The first thing he did was replace the motor with a generic one from his truck. After that didn't work he made a mess rewiring our unit. Finally, he ordered parts from across the country, which when installed did not work. All this took about a week and a half. During this time we purchased a portable AC unit and was only partially reimbursed after the woman who was handling our case said that it was possible to get fully reimbursed. This is a scam as they never approve reimbursement after a certain minimal amount. About 10 days later from when the AC unit was damaged and calling First American daily, they finally dispatched another company. This technician quickly noted that everything the previous repairman did was incorrect: from installing the incorrect motor to jacking up all the wiring. He provided a temporary fix by swapping out the compressor but the incorrect motor was causing the AC to shake violently. So we call First American to explain that we need our old motor returned since it was mistakenly replace by the first guy expecting it to be an easy fix. The first tech denied having changed it and First American took his word over ours even though the second technician told them that it was a brand new motor and we had the serial number to prove that it was from the first company. Fast forward to July 2018 when the AC unit finally crashes on us due to the violent shaking in 100+ degree temps. We call First American and they denied our claim because they “don’t know who tampered with the motor”!! They did not send anyone to check out what happened. How can an insurance company deny a claim based on something one of their providers did incorrectly?!? We texted/emailed them for a week where they told us that they aren’t responsible for health of our 1 year old and gave us a myriad of baseless reasons on why our claim was denied. Fact of the matter: We PAY a warranty company monthly to help in case something like this goes wrong. When said thing does go wrong, this company needs to be held accountable for providing the service that we are PAYING for! Regardless of if the first technician did or did not put in the wrong motor, American Warranty still should have fixed it. I contacted the company that the original technician worked for directly and explained what happened to the manager. He informed me that the technician had been fired for incompetence the previous month and the motor did in fact belong to them. He promptly came over and fixed the issue himself. Why couldn’t the warrant company make this simple call 2 months ago?!? Bottom line: STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY. It is disgraceful how they treat their customers. We have records of all our communication with them including the comments about them not being responsible for the well-being of our 1 year old. We would love to talk to any and all media who is interested in protecting the well-being of America families from evil money hungry companies such as First American Home Warranty.

Roberto Chula Vista, CA

Contractors that are assigned are not honest, in one instance the contractor charged for the replacement of the entire pool pump but only repaired the control panel, contractors that are assigned are lazy, in another instance contractor took almost 3 weeks in replacing the belt on our clothes dryer, in another instance contractor assigned did not want to complete the plumbing repair because crown molding was installed, had to hire another contractor for the removal and replacement of the crown molding not covered by FAHW, and in all instances the FAHW staff or customer service is not the best they are rude and act like we owe them something even if we are paying for the service, not satisfied at all with FAHW. I'm quitting them and going with someone else.

Thomas G. Johnson Las Vegas, NV

I have just spoken to the third foreign call center, trying to speak to this outfit(criminal undertaking) is difficult at best. My A/C stopped cooling on June 21, I called for warranty service on June 22, the company gave me the phone number of a service company to contact. The service company works only 9AM to 4PM Mon-Fri, so I got a service call envelope of time 7AM-2Pm Mon June 25. The compressor was not working and needed to be replaced and it would take 2-3 days according to the tech. The FAH warranty service company did not tell me until the compressor was to be installed that I would have additional out of pocket expenses, and waited until I agreed to pay those costs before issuing the PO to install to the service contact. Then when I found out the FAH people are all over the world and do not give a care about what happens, I determined the entire company is criminal in their dealings!

Carrie Conway Burlington, NC

I have been waiting for our AC units to be fixed properly since May the 15th. We are in NC and it’s been 85-90 here. They have sent the same company out twice and both times they leave without the issue being resolved so here we sit in a hot house for 5+ weeks! My electric bill went from $120 to $350 since the AC is running nonstop. What a joke!!!!!

Cynthia Courtney El Paso, TX

Our washer broke on 5/7. It's 6/12 And we still don't have a replacement. We call and call but never get calls back. We're at the point where we may have to pursue litigation to get them to honor their warranty.

Gina Washington, DC

This company is in serious need for knowledgeable people. Every time you contact them each person acts as if they can't locate your file, on a few occasions they've contact a vendor who does exist anymore. I would not recommend this company to anyone who owns a home. We have been dealing with a HVAC problem since January and it is now June, and they still are giving us the run around with the same vendor.

Johnean Smith Moore, SC

They are very unprofessional they do not protect single women. They dispatched contract workers to the homes of single women after work hours. They discriminate on basis of mannerisms discriminating against the disabled. They make fun of the costumers laugh and act childish and play discipline games. They had me go without air conditioning for approximately three weeks due to their own wrong choices. Contracting companies with only one star and acting like everything is the other companies fault. When had I paid out of pocket I would have had air in only a few days.

Johnean Smith Moore, SC

First American has horrible customer service and they discriminate against the disabled. They are cold hearted and sinful. They compromise my health and well-being for a few laughs and jokes they are childish and uncompromising, I was without air conditioning for close to a month which was covered under my warranty. They sent a dispatch to my home after hours. When I leave this site I am going to report them to the BBB.

B McNeal Suffolk, VA

First American Home Warranty is the worst company that I have ever experienced. Please, Please don't go with them. they are incompetent and they contract out to the most incompetent plumbers I know. My Gas Water Heater was leaking water. The first plumber Pro Plumbing was awful. They did not know what they were doing and after two visits I still had a leaking water heater. Next they sent out Lanthorn Construction and Plumbing and they tired to take me for as much money as they could get especially being a woman. FAHW agreed that the gas water heater needed to be replaced but this company wanted $600 dollars out of pocket claiming that they needed to add an expansion tank and other modifications that was a City Code and had to be done. To make a long story short none of the things that this company wanted to do extra was city code, my plumbing inspector told me so, and I ended up with a cash out from FAHW for $597.18 to find my own company to replace the water heater without any other option. Although I had to add $301.82 out of pocket to have it done my my own company choosing, I should not have had to pay out of pocket expense at all because their was no mandatory city code requirement to have all that extra stuff done that the company FAHW wanted to send out required to do just to line their pocket. FAHW uses SHADY companies and stay far away from this company. And their customer service is awful as well. You will spent hours on the phone with them and accomplish nothing. Zero star is not good enough for them.

Katy Hines Lookout Mountain, GA

We have had a terrible experience with First American. Had trouble with our HVAC unit. They sent HVAC contractor out several times, and made us pay $75 each time, despite the fact that the contractor never fixed the problem. They finally agreed to replace the unit, which I thought was awesome, but they replaced it with a unit that wasn't compatible with our breaker. They then refused to upgrade the breaker, because it was an "upgrade," although the upgrade wouldn't have been needed if they had replaced the HVAC appropriately. So we had to pay $600 to upgrade the circuit breaker so it would work with the HVAC. And the customer service is just terrible! We wasted so much time on the phone and computer trying to get help, but we might as well have been speaking another language. Zero help from anyone.

Elvin McCurdy Rowlett, TX

My experience has been terrible. I reported a claim during early February. As of March 19, I am still waiting for the First American to instruct the contractor to come out and evaluate my claim which the warranty says is covered.

Billie Sue Gauger Leavenworth, KS

Waiting two weeks to get a hot water tank replaced while water is leaking in my basement is unacceptable. Ive had to make several phone calls and they dont care. On top of it i have to pay over $500.00 because codes have changed and it has to be modified.

Luis Cardenas Houston, TX

-5 Stars... Stay away from this company! They will pay 5% of the total cost of whatever breaks in your home. The out of pocket you will pay is astonishingly high.. Run away and don't look back. You're better off not having insurance, than getting into a contract with these thieves!

Jim Bailey Fair Oaks, CA

If I could give Zero STARs I would. I have now spent over 4 hours on the phone, talking to 7 different people regarding a claim I put in for repair of a Miele dishwasher at First American Home Warranty. Miele Corporation has only ONE certified repair company in the greater Sacramento area, and I supplied First American Home Warranty with this company’s name and phone number after first calling Miele Corporation and asking, “Who is a Miele Authorized / Approved repair company in my area”. However, First American Home Warranty "customer service" people kept trying to force me to use one of "their" repair companies that IS NOT certified by Miele to work on Miele dishwashers, which are high-end dishwashers, manufactured in Germany. I repeatedly told First American Home Warranty that their "choice" for repair company is not Miele certified / Miele parts authorized. However, with each customer service rep I talked to, that went in one ear and out the other. Like they didn’t hear me, understand my concern, or were programmed robots taught to say the same thing over and over and over again. I even used the analogy that would you take your high-end Mercedes S-Class car to a Volkswagen dealership for a major repair? The answer is NO, you would not. Miele is the Mercedes of dishwashers, and like Mercedes, is a high-end, quality built, product from Germany. But this concept / analogy continually fell on deaf ears as I went from customer service rep to supervisor to supervisor’s supervisor to supervisor’s supervisor’s supervisor… The solution: I am demanding my money back on my Home Warranty contract, and will tell any friends, family, real estate people I know and title company people I know (and are willing to listen) about what a horrible experience I have had with First American Home Warranty. Absolutely horrible. This company appears to be designed to just frustrate you until you give up. Well, congratulations to them, for they finally succeeded in their mission... I hung in there through 7 people and 4 hours of accumulated talk time and time on hold. But enough is enough and it is time to cut my losses, get my money back, and move on. If your real estate agent or title company suggests you buy a home warranty on your new house, that's up to you. But if you are going to buy one, buy one from a company that does not make it so hard to use, is better at listening and responding to your issues, and isn’t so slow to act. Read other reviews of this company on the web or on Yelp. Thousands echo my sentiments. My advice to you; If you aren’t looking for frustration, excuses, long phone conversations, or headaches, cross First American Home Warranty off your list of potential candidates. You’ll thank me later on for the heads-up.

Gayle Natichioni Charleston, SC

Every time I call to use my warranty, they magically don't cover it...like my water heater...they pay to replaced the unit itself (like $500) but any modifications that goes with the work, they don't cover. I have zero idea what I am paying for and I am switching companies. Customer service is terrible and the contractors they use are even worse. Emergency on the week-end, never heard back. Got my own contractor---5 inches of water under my sink. They would not reimburse me but $100/600 emergency call. Of course it was not covered...So far, they have done this twice to me..Need a new company!!!

Sally Scott North Myrtle Beach, SC

We placed a claim for our A/C unit on a Thursday. The contractor that was assigned could not even put us on his schedule until Wednesday of the next week. As this was the middle of the summer, we had to call someone else and they came the next day. I placed a call this week on Wednesday. They assigned a contractor that is over 2 hours away. When I tried to call them, the number was disconnected. I contacted First American about it and was told that the company knew the coverage area and would be in contact with me. They could care less. I will be changing warranty companies asap.

Michael Cosgrove Toledo, OH

The warranty came with the purchase of the house . The touch pad on the dish washer died and it would be 3 weeks before the first contractor would be able to get out and look at it for the $75.00. Did enough research in the first few days to realize chances are the dishwasher was dead and the odds are he wouldn't be able to fix it when he got here. No point in putting the $75.00 in the hands of someone to tell me it was dead. If this had been a furnace or water heater, there is no way I'd wait more than a few days for the service guy/gal to show up. So will not be renewing with this sorta crap.

Meghan Smith Louisville, KY

If I could give this company less than one star I would. We’ve been without electricity now for a week and they haven’t been able to even get anyone out here. They’ve “contracted” two different companies with people that never bothered to show up. My husband took off work multiple times as well as myself to get an electrician here and we still haven’t seen anyone. We will definitely not be renewing our home warranty with these people. They are the absolute worst.

Mike demko Houston, TX

We are a HVAC company that worked for FA for over 20 years. Had my mother purchase coverage. Do NOT purchase FA warranty coverage. FA started a policy where they want contractor to find a reason to not have repair covered; for example, they want us to find if filter or coils are dirty, a part not installed correctly, a code violation, no maintenance, etc. Contractor calls one of these items into FA and then FA informs homeowner that repair is not covered. Homeowner has to then pay out of pocket to get repairs made and usually at a higher rate because contractor will charge much higher to homeowner than what they charge FA. That is how the contractor makes its money and FA saves money.We fired FA due to this policy and will no longer due work for them.

Jared Parker, CO

My wife and I have been using First American Home Warranty for the past 10 months, knowing that our furnace was 35 years old and our water heater was 10 years old. When both finally went out in the middle of October, we called First American to make our claims. First American then contacted the contractors, of which are given 24 hours to call. After not hearing from the water heater company for 24 hours, we decided to call them. We played phone tag for about 3 days. Finally when someone did come over, the one-person company told us that he could not do it because we had a crawl space and it required a two man job. SO WHY DID FIRST AMERICAN SEND SOMEONE out to our house that could NOT do the job? Well, long story short, we still paid the guy $65 and later $75 that was taken out our cash-out for about 15 minutes of work. The guy came out to our house knowing he could not do the job and was out to make a quick buck. So another water heater company was then contracted (Crown Plumbing in Colorado) and they sent a bid to First American for $2900 (natural gas) and $3900 (tankless), of which First American was only going to give around $515 to (which means thousands out of our pocket!). So we just decided to get a cash out in the amount of $440 which barely covered the water heater and had a neighbor install it. Trying to get the cash out from First American was a long process since every time we called, the cash-out amount was different (originally it was $515 then it went down to $490 then $440 b/c of the $75 diagnostic fee to the first water heater company that came out). With the furnace company, it took them 1.5 months to complete the project which was a very long time frame. Long story short, First American was a very difficult company to work with because their contractors were not capable of doing the job. Also, First American did a poor job of communicating because the amount they said they were paying the contractors was different than what the contractor said. First American was supposed to give the furnace people $1050, but in turn, only gave them $590 and would not show me the bid because it was between "First American and the contractor."

Joyce Tatro-Manes Haddonfield, NJ

I have had TERRIBLE customer service with First American Home Warranty company. I have NEVER had a smooth experience with ANY of the FIVE TIMES we have had to call with major problems in our new house. I have NEVER had a contractor call me to schedule an appointment. I have had to beg and plead to get them to do what they are supposed to do.

Virginia McMurray Little Rock, AR

I have lived in my home for 4 months with a warranty from First American and have had 3 claims. Two claims were for the air conditioning system. The first provider they sent told me that the problem was in the set line and it was not covered under the warranty. (It seems to be that it SHOULD be covered, but know that the warranty is LIMITED.) The contractor made the repair, which cost me hundreds of dollars out of pocket. Two months later the unit was not working, and First American dispatched another contractor, who said that the line had not been properly repaired. So I will be out more money to fix the problem. I am through with dealing with any First American contractor and trying to get service when nothing is covered. My third call was for a refrigerator that was not working. They dispatched a service provider who had to order a part, and then took his time getting it installed. I was without a refrigerator for 10 days! I have very limited experience with home warranties, but I can tell you that I will not be renewing mine with this company, and I would rather deal with reputable service providers who stand by their work.