1. First American Home Warranty

First American Home Warranty has been an industry leader for over 35 years and has a reputation of providing quality home warranty plans with extensive coverage for homeowners across the nation. The home warranty provider has serviced millions of claims, saving homeowners more than $180 million in covered repairs and replacements.

The company has a large network of prescreened technicians so you don't have to worry about doing your own research and independently finding your own technician. Warranty coverage lasts for one year and monthly payment options are available as well. First American Home Warranty ranked in our list of Top 10 Best Home Warranty Companies of 2019.

The Good

• Decades of Experience and Company Stability
  • Comprehensive Plans
  • Coverage Limits
  • 24/7 Claims Service
  • Online Homeowner Center

Decades of Experience and Company Stability

First American has been providing home warranties since 1984. The home warranty service provider offers coverage to 38 states plus the District of Columbia. Over 35 years of home warranty experience is a good indication of the company’s stability and willingness to provide quality service. Choosing a home warranty company with so much experience could be an additional benefit for homeowners.

Comprehensive Plans

First American Home Warranty currently offers two coverage plans and a variety of additional options for warranty coverage. The monthly cost for a First American Home Warranty plan starts at $28 per month and lasts for one year. The service fee varies by location, but you will typically pay $75 whenever you schedule a repair or replacement with a First American Home Warranty technician. Warranty plan holders can upgrade or expand their warranty plan within the first 30 days of coverage to add on additional systems or appliances.

First American also offers a 30-day review period for new warranty contract holders. Customizable plans are made for homeowners, real estate professionals, as well as network service providers. First American Home Warranty's website allows anyone to receive a sample contract and specific residential warranty pricing within minutes.

First American Home Warranty does not have an age limit on systems and appliances, so you don't have to worry about the company refusing coverage based on this. Warranty coverage for major appliances and systems is as follows (pricing and coverage for protection plans may vary by location):

The Basic Plan: $28 per Month or $336 per Year

• Garage door opener
  • Ductwork
  • Central vacuum system

Optional Coverage

For a fee, you can add additional coverage items to your service contract:

• Central air conditioning (electric) — $9 per month
  • Additional refrigeration — $4 per month
  • Pool/spa equipment — $15 per month
  • Well pump — $7 per month
  • First class upgrade — $9 per month

Coverage Limits

Unlike some home warranty providers, most of First American’s covered items do not carry a specific dollar limit. First American plans do not require a home inspection to be done by a contractor or maintenance records to be retrieved from a repair person for coverage. The service provider also offers extra protection for malfunctions due to lack of maintenance, regular wear and tear, rust, corrosion, and sedimentary build-up. There are no age limits on covered items, and no limit to the number of claims a customer can file.

24/7 Claims Service

No matter the time of day, customers can open a claim. First American offers a 24/7 service request hotline where you can make service calls at any time as well as a user-friendly online customer portal. First American has a nationwide network of workers and prescreens every service contractor and requires them to complete a probationary period to ensure customer satisfaction standards are met through customer survey results.

Online Homeowner Center

First American offers an easy-to-use online homeowner center for all of its customers. From this portal, a customer can open and track their claims, view their contract details, renew their home warranty, and manage communication preferences.

The Bad

• Nationwide Service Unavailable
  • First American Home Warranty Reviews
  • Extra Cost for Air Conditioning Coverage

Nationwide Service Unavailable

First American provides coverage in 38 states and the District of Columbia. There is a tool on its website that allows for a zip code lookup to determine if First American provides coverage for customers in a particular state. Unfortunately, if you are out of First American’s coverage area, you are unable to receive its services.

First American Home Warranty Reviews

First American Home Warranty has some negative reviews highlighting bad customer service, delayed and lengthy response and service time, and hidden fees on appliances. We suggest reading through First American Home Warranty reviews before making a final purchasing decision.

Extra Cost for Air Conditioning Coverage

Many home warranty providers offer air conditioning as part of their premier plan or combo plan, but First American Home Warranty only offers an AC unit as additional coverage with an extra fee you add to your chosen plan. This may be a problem for customers looking to have air conditioning as part of their prearranged plan. However, because the AC unit isn't covered in First American Home Warranty's two main plans, this is what makes the company's warranty cost cheaper than most.

The Bottom Line

With 35+ years of experience and a large network of service providers (each contractor is reviewed and put through a probation period to ensure customer satisfaction), First American Home Warranty has comprehensive protection with high coverage limits for major appliances and systems. With a competitive cost and service call fee and multiple plan options, First American Home Warranty gives you more value for your money and covers customers with flexible payment options for various budgets.

The company offers a basic plan for customers that are looking for more standard coverage, as well as a premier plan for homeowners wanting more robust coverage. Additional add-on items are also available for coverage so consumers can pick and choose other major systems and appliances they want covered. Note that First American Home Warranty only covers the wear and tear of major appliances and systems. Like most home warranty companies, First American does not cover pre-existing conditions.

When compared to other home warranty companies, First American Home Warranty has a competitive monthly cost and service fee. Some warranty providers charge upwards of $600 per year with a $100 service fee.

First American Home Warranty created its home warranty programs with not just homeowners in mind but network service providers and real estate professionals as well. Typically, for whichever home warranty plan you select, the service contract will last for one year.

If you want to learn about what customers think of the company, such as response time, customer service, and quality of repair, check out First American Home Warranty reviews below.

Call our recommended rep over at First American Home Warranty below.

3.7

Hillary Warren

May 21st, 2019 Sacramento, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

DISHONEST COMPANY - AVOID. The reviews on this site speak for themselves. Absolutely do not give this company your business. They have the worst customer service and are fundamentally dishonest with their customers. I had a microwave break. I spent a long time on the phone with the claims representative because a countertop microwave is not covered, but a built-in microwave is. They told me it would be $75 to have a serviceman come to inspect the microwave. I told them that I did not want to pay the $75 only for them to tell me it was a non-covered countertop microwave. Therefore, I spent a significant amount of time on the phone with the representative to determine whether my microwave was built-in or countertop. We went through the various factors. I explicitly stated my concern that I would pay $75 for the serviceman to come and then they would say it was countertop. The representative told me it was a built-in microwave (it is, in fact, built into our wall). I agree to have a serviceman come to it. He spends an hour or so working on the microwave (I stayed home from work to be there). He tells me that he needs to order parts in order to fix it and that First American will determine whether it wants the parts ordered and the microwaved fixed or whether it wants to just replace the microwave. I then call back to check on the claim and am told that the claim was closed because it was a countertop microwave and is not covered. I am then billed $75 for the serviceman's visit. I call back numerous times to dispute this, I spent HOURS on the phone, and everyone is rude and gives me different information. I am told to write to complain to a different address by each person I ask the address from. Some representatives I talk to tell me that it is a company policy that representatives may not give out their names. Other representatives give me their first and last name and the names of others I talk to. A representative tells me they only have a record of one call I made, when I have made numerous calls and have talked to numerous people, including a supervisor, which leads me to believe that First American does not keep record of all their customers' calls, an incredibly dishonest business practice. Most importantly, one representative told me I would not have to pay the $75 -- that it would be waived. When I continued to receive invoices, I called and was told there was no record of that and I would have to pay $75 dollars. This company is dishonest. They do not care about customer service. It was an enormous mistake to purchase home insurance from them. I will be writing a complaint to each address I was given until my situation is remedied. I will be including my state bar attorney number and the name of each person I dealt with and the times.

May 23, 2019

We have reached out the consumer directly requesting for additional information.

Dianna McKie

May 21st, 2019 Mooresville, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Been dealing with the same issue for almost a year with no resolution. Multiple opinions. I would recommend finding a different home warranty company to work with. Apparently they just try break you down so bad that you just give in and have to walk away from what is right. So sad.

May 23, 2019

We have reached out to the consumer directly requesting for additional information.

Nivi

May 20th, 2019 Norristown, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The worst customer service anyone can have. Their customer service reps do not know how to talk. Its based outside USA. They have no sense of customer service. They use bad contrators so they dont have to pay a lot

Christi

May 20th, 2019 Stratford, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This place is absolutely terrible!! My basement flooded and they couldn't find a contractor for four days! I had to call them every day to find out when someone was coming out. I had no idea where the leak was coming from, but was told I needed to give them an idea so they could send someone out. I advised them the water heater was my guess. Four days past, I called them and told them I think it's something else and they told me they had to cancel the work order and start over. I told them I do not have the experience to diagnosis the issue and that is why I needed someone. It took so long I had to pay for my own contractor to come out, as I could no longer wait and play this game as my basement continued to flood. This home warranty company is a rip off and a complete joke! I called someone near me, they came out within 2 hours, diagnosised and fixed the problem. Cost me a ton of money, but I can't go without water and a flooded basement for days.

May 23, 2019

We have reached out to the consumer directly and requested for additional information.

Lynn B Richards

May 18th, 2019 Tucson, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My experience was both delightful and frustrating. Eventually, we got a new washing machine that is wonderful! However, the journey to get it took nearly a month. Initially when I made the call for a service request, I told them that I am not at home, Tuesday thru Thursday, but my guest at the home, Sue, would be there. Additionally, I have a padlocked gate at my house, and the service people can't get to the door without first calling to let me know they are there. So since I would be away, I gave them Sue's phone number to call. However, on the day they arrived, they called me, not Sue. I repeated my initial instructions, and they said they had no way of having both numbers on the work order. This simply is nonsense! You must have many customers who are landlords who pay the bills and make decisions, while also having tenants who are occupying the home. This requires two different names and phone numbers. Please change your system to include and identify landlord/tenant names and phone numbers! As for the service... The initial service person was personable and clearly trying to help. He worked hard for quite some time on the machine. Then he said he needed to order parts. He was new as a technician, and no one with more experience was sent with him. When the parts finally arrived, he came back to install the new parts, and it did not solve the problem. So we waited again. Meanwhile no communication. By the third time, the manager and the new technician were both on the job. The manager appeared not to care about my situation, nor did he appear to care if it were ever fixed. When I complained about the time it was taking, and told him perhaps he should just get a new machine, HE LAUGHED!!! But a few days later I got a call from the warranty people saying they were going to replace it. I To summarize, the service people were either confused or unwilling to replace the machine, and returned 3 times trying to fix the old one. Each time there was a nearly ten day wait to get parts. This waiting time was very difficult for me I had no way to wash my clothes for a month, and I didn't get any phone calls saying what to expect. Perhaps you could have given me a loaner to use while the parts were ordered. Better communication would have helped greatly. Thinking of how it might be if you were the customer would automatically improve the communication. No one wants to be left in the dark when a repair is needed in their home. I haven't any idea why it took so long, and that was extremely frustrating. But the new machine is excellent, and I'm happy with the final result.

May 22, 2019

Hi Lynn. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We are glad to hear that your washing machine has been replaced. We look forward to servicing you again in the future.

Warren Sawicki

May 16th, 2019 Madison, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Contractor was on time, respectful and corrected the problem

May 23, 2019

Hi Warren, thank you for your review.

Lois

May 15th, 2019 Austin, AR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Horrible. Do not use good contractors. Have been waiting a month on parts for a dishwasher.

May 20, 2019

We have reached out to the consumer directly requesting for the information.

Laura Hooper

May 14th, 2019 Alamo, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Do Not Use. Completely lied about the different services they covered. They never could find a contractor in my area to send out regarding a refrigerator I had that stopped working. The customer service number is a black hole. They continue to transfer your call until it culminates in no one answering. It just rings and rings and rings. The joke is on you as you cannot even leave a message. Trying to leave a paper trail is even more difficult. To top it off they have a highly fraudulent contract renewal practice. They send you a letter stating that if you DO NOT call them your contract will expire but after seeing the charges on your credit card and calling the 800 number they state that their practice is actually the exact opposite. They are not willing to refund anything because apparently you only have 30 days. That my friends is fraud.

May 20, 2019

We have reached out to the consumer requesting for additional information.

Jamie

May 14th, 2019 Decatur, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We had a terrible experience with First American Home Warranty. We initiated a service request on May 16, 2018 because our AC was not working. It was incredibly hot in our house as we live in Atlanta so we needed it fixed promptly. The issue was that water was collecting in our emergency pan and then shutting off the AC to prevent flooding, but we didn't know the actual source of the problem. The first contractor assigned to us never responded to our calls, and he didn't respond to First American's calls either. We are not sure to this day if this contractor exists. We called First American again and asked if we could hire our own local person and get reimbursed because we live in Atlanta and have a baby who was struggling to sleep in the heat and this was becoming an urgent problem with no AC. First American said "no you have to go through one of our contractors." So we thought, okay but please take care of it ASAP. We had to go to Home Depot and buy our own siphoning equipment to keep our air running in the mean time. The second contractor they assigned was shockingly incompetent. He told us a pipe was clogged (not correct), said "did you hear that?" (no we didn't hear anything) "I unclogged the pipe!" (it's not clogged), used a Panera cup (yes, this was his professional equipment) to dump water out of our attic because he didn't even have basic siphoning tubing, broke our light bulb in the attic and left the stem of the light bulb in with shards of glass sticking out and didn't fix it (we couldn't just pull it out), and left our house saying he fixed the problem. Of course, he hadn't fixed the problem at all. If anything he had made it worse. So we called First American again and asked for another contractor. They said they could only do that after talking with Contractor #2 and seeing the report he submitted (which per them is supposed to be submitted within 48 hours). Then, surprise surprise, they couldn't reach him and a week later he still hadn't submitted his report (it's unclear whether he ever did). It took them a week to finally say okay we'll assign you someone else. By this time you'd think they would just agree to reimburse us to have someone trustworthy fix it, but they refused. Their customer service agents (including supervisors) were robots, always saying "I understand ma'am but there is nothing we can do. You must use our contractors because we have contractors who can fix the problem." This was a very frustrating assertion when they clearly DON'T have contractors who can fix the problem. They "escalated" our claim and assigned us a personal representative who never called us back when she was supposed to and never followed up. But, they did finally assign us a third contractor. So, our third contractor came out. He was a little better, at least we thought at first. He at least didn't use any paper Panera cups. He said he had to order a part. A couple weeks later we had to follow up because we hadn't heard anything. (In the meantime, keep in mind we are daily siphoning water ourselves from our attic to keep our AC running.) Finally Contractor #3 gets back to us and says okay we'll come Saturday between 1pm and 5pm but oh by the way, we had to order two of these parts (wrong- once we PAID someone competent we learned this wasn't even correct) and that will be an extra $85 that's not covered by the warranty. How is it not covered by a warranty that cost $600 for the year?? Regardless, we end up sitting at home on Saturday, waiting for this guy to come. We get a call right before 5 saying his truck broke down but he will "try" to call us Monday to reschedule. We haven't heard from him since. So ultimately we decided that we would rather pay our own person than have one of these joker warranty contractors come out and probably just mess up our AC even more or take months to even deal with it. I guess this is a victory for First American Home Warranty because they got their $600 and we still had to pay for our AC to be fixed. We hired someone great on our own on June 25 meaning we had waited for this terrible warranty company for almost six weeks before we gave up. He fixed the problem in two days and didn't have to order those "extra parts." The most ridiculous part is, we then get a voicemail from First American saying, "We are so glad your AC has been fixed by our contractor. We are sorry you had to pay the extra $85. Now your case is closed. Thank you for choosing First American Home Warranty." Their contractor never even came back to our house! How did they think this is what happened, and did this guy get paid for not even coming to our home? There are so many scams going on here I don't even know who's scamming who! The bottom line is- this has been an absolutely horrible experience and I can safely say this is probably the worst company I've ever had to deal with. They recently called us asking if we wanted to renew- and that was the easiest decision I ever made.

May 20, 2019

We have directly reached out to the consumer requesting for additional information.

Tami Pannell

May 14th, 2019 Kingston, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great company to take money off your credit Card and continue to do so after you Cancelled your account the previous month!!!!! I called and they argued the point they can continue to do so until they get it cancelled at their end!!!!

May 16, 2019

We have reached out to the consumer requesting additional information to review her claim.

Dennis

May 14th, 2019 Solana Beach, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have had an issue with our Air Conditioning Unit for 4 years in a row now. Each year First American sends out a Technician who refills the freon........they NEVER fixed the leak. This year the leak was too bad to just refill the freon. First American has taken over a month to try "fix" the problem. They then told us the correct part was no longer available (that is a lie) and that WE would have to pay to have the incorrect part modified (ridiculous!!) They have ordered the incorrect part 3 times now. The Local contractor who does the work for them has told us directly he can purchase the correct part locally in under 30 minutes.....the issue is First American doesn't want to pay what the part costs. Our home is in Tucson AZ, its friggin HOT. Today they finally mistakenly admitted they didn't want to pay the price to fix the AC unit with the correct part. They are trying to "buy us out" at a rate that would not come close to the expense of fixing the Unit. Our contract clearly states that they must "repair or replace" the unit.........they are attempting to do neither. They are non responsive and rude when we call. They don't return phone calls or send emails when they say they will. We are planning to sue them in small claims court if they don't honor the contract. I am also going to dedicate hours of my time writing bad reviews about them any place I can find. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!

May 16, 2019

We have reached out to the consumer directly awaiting additional information to review the claim.

JOCELIN GIBBS

May 13th, 2019 Clayton, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This company pretends to be willing to cover the services they provide however the contractor never makes it to your home. I still have a pending service request from 2 weeks ago and every time I call they never have a note or reference of the appointments or prior call. I'm glad the seller provided this service because there is no way I would pay for them. The customer service reps are rude and unprofessional. They rush you or hang up on you. In my opinion they are a scam they have yet to provide a service. If I could give lower than 1 star I would.

btilly

May 11th, 2019 Houston, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We had First American Home Warranty with our home purchase. Our A/C was out for three days while we kept waiting for them to fix it. Their A/C guy added freon to it since it was very low due to a leak. Did he fix the leak? No, because First American would not let him. Then our A/C stopped working again and the one guy they assigned it to fix (same person as before) was busy so we had to wait several day and it was 98 degrees in our house with high humidity. The repairman didn't put in our request until after close of business (6 hours later than when he visited us.) The repairman offered to fix it for $5,500 on the side. We were worried about the wood warping in our house and mold and couldn't wait over the weekend since it had already been 5 days. So we called three others A/C repairman to get quotes and paid out of pocket. It was finished within 36 hours at around $3,200. First American reimbursed us only $200. We did not renew. If you do not want cheap fixes to your house (one of your biggest investments), go elsewhere!!

May 16, 2019

We have reached out the consumer directly awaiting additional information.

isaac kawa

May 11th, 2019 La Quinta, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Long Story short; After buying my home this year I tookik their insurance with almost only one item covered which is the A/C. I paid for that 600 per year, the A/C broke down and they are telling me that only part of it is insured and I still have to pay 700. So to take your money they are great but once they have to pay, they re not here anymore.If my complain is not handled quickly I will write a review everywhere so that word goes out

Frank Arnold

May 11th, 2019 Boerne, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Have not had any claims recently. Only concern when used is that some of the vendors sent out do not appear to be the most knowledgeable.

May 20, 2019

Thank you Frank for your review.

Sandy

May 11th, 2019 Fresno, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had policies with First American for 20 years totaling more than 20K in premiums, a ceiling fan was only running on the lowest speed and when the technician called in to the Claims dept. to get permission to repair or replace this fan he was told that there is no mechanical failure and the fan is still working meanwhile this is summer in Fresno where temp rises about 100 deg.. I bought a new ceiling fan and paid the installer to replace it, so much for the home warranty. I am seriously considering if I wasted money all these years.

May 14, 2019

We have reached out to the consumer directly requesting for additional information in order to review the complaint.

Beverly Arnold

May 11th, 2019 Lubbock, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have used this service for 13 years, and I highly recommend .We have only had two bad experiences, and that was due to employees of the contractor(s), and they righted the situation.

May 14, 2019

Thank you Beverly for your review!

FAHW sucks

May 10th, 2019 Toledo, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Yes. It's a scam. They have an "out" with every claim. They can find a reason to deny any claim even legit claims. The junior Compliance Administrator, Jazmin H, that I dealt with even brags on her LinkedIn page, "Recognized for reducing company debt by winning and settling lawsuits". They stall. They are pleasant in an attempt to just keep the "wheel in motion" and accomplish nothing in hopes that you'll just go away. The half-wit contractors that work FAHW behalf are just as shady. I had a contractor tell me the only reason he does business with FAHW is they guaranteed him 2000 calls a year at $75 a call. That's $150,000 in just house calls, not in repairs!

N Mallard

May 9th, 2019 Duncan, OK DETAILS arrow_drop_down

So far, I have not had to use the warranty on my new home, but I had this company in the past and was very happy with the quick service. At that time, I had a water heater blow, a problem with my washer and dryer, and they took care of all of it for nominal fee.

May 10, 2019

Thank you N for your review.

Colin

May 9th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Quick response, efficient, prompt service. Couldn't have been better.

May 10, 2019

Thank you Colin we appreciate your review and look forward to servicing you again in the future.

Charlie

May 9th, 2019 Gulfport, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We had an a/c problem. It was inspected and found not to be able to be repaired. A new a/c was installed. We had an issue with our dryer. Repairman came and fixed the problem. The service provided by First American has thus far be superior.

May 10, 2019

Hi Charlie. Thank you for your review.

Eric

May 9th, 2019 Stockton, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Within the first 2 months of having American home warranty my water heater went out and just a phone call away someone was there the next day to check and replace as needed thx American home warranty

May 10, 2019

Thank you Eric for your feedback.

Pat Towery

May 9th, 2019 Burlington, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The dishwasher had a leak. It took several visits with the leak continuing. Finally the last repair person spotted the problem, an incorrect replacement and installation of the gaskets. He had it fixed properly and I have had no more leaks.

May 10, 2019

Thank you Pat for your review. We are glad the repairs to your plumbing were completed. We look forward to servicing you again in the future.

Georgia

May 9th, 2019 Brentwood, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is the best company I have ever dealt with. They are very concerned with customers needs and timeliness in getting your repair quickly done. I would recommend it to anyone and I have sone that with many friends who have taken advantage of this wonderful service.

May 10, 2019

Thank you Georgia for your review!

David Brill

May 7th, 2019 San Clemente, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I can't believe how bad these guys are. Been without hot water for 5 days....now we find out that the plumber that is coming out isn't even going to bring a new one....just complete a diagnostic so one can be ordered. The bottom is rusted out and water is leaking all over the place. They won't cover the damage. Even though I have been asking FIrst American online...and the contractor...today is the first day that I am told that they won't even be replacing the water heater for another 5-10 days. The customer service rep on the phone had the balls to tell me that we should heat water on the stove for a family of four...for showers. Worst company that I have ever dealt with. Should have the option of giving zero stars.

May 10, 2019

We have reached out the consumer directly requesting for more information.

Laura L

May 5th, 2019 Port Saint Lucie, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

First American is awful! We have been customers since 2011-we have made a fee small claims for fridge, garage springs, water heater-however we have made several claims for our A/C and each time they send out crappy contractors with bad reviews and they never try to diagnose the problem. We were told we have a leak-but 2 companies didn’t even try to diagnose where it was or try to fix anything. However when I paid out of my own pocket for an A/C tune up they guy told me you need a nee unit this is 16 yrs old and to stop replacing parts bc it is not worth it and will only give you problems. Then they send another company out and the guy replaces the compacitor and added more freon from a month and a half prior to when freon was already added-so that tells you there is a leak. When i had the company that did the tune up come back out the compacitor never needed to be changed and he explained to me why we were having trouble with the A/C not cooling. So after 2 contractors and a total of a year and a half of service calls of $75 a pop and poor attitudes from First American as well as the contractors it’s still not fixed. We have now went with the company that did the tune up and are getting a nee unit installed and have requested cancellation with First American-and go figure have not rcvd a call back like said in the 24 hour timeframe-just like we never rcvd a callback in the timeframe promised regarding our A/C unit claim for a nee one. And First American is stuck on cleaning the A/C coils that are 16 yrs old bc one of the dumb contractors was picking at straws after replacing parts that were not needed and now oh the coils need to be cleaned. So they expected me to pay $425 for 16 year old coils to be cleaned so the idiot could damage them more and then have a bigger problem! I don’t think so. I will NEVER tell anyone to go with First American-their customer service people are beyond rude and do not care about you or your claims. And to make it worse we live in Florida and have had A/C issues all this time. Definitely not worth the $$ you pay for their warranty! And your lucky to get an American person when you call them-and you can never be transferred to a supervisor! They are the worst!

May 10, 2019

We have reached out to the consumer directly for additional information.

Alex

May 5th, 2019 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Having a policy with this company is like taking hundreds of dollars and lighting it on fire. It's a total scam. They cover almost nothing and when they do they payout a fraction of the cost and contract with low rated, unlicensed, unreliable providers. We recently needed to have our water heater replaced and after a week of jumping through hoops the plumber they assigned to us was a no-show. When I spoke to the plumber he was belligerent and combative. Then I reached out to FA and they told us there was nothing they could do, they couldn't assign us another contractor. We could take a minimal payout and then pay someone to do the work ourselves. Oh and did I mention we had to pay a $75 fee JUST to file the claim?? This is a terrible, useless service, take the money and put it in an interest-bearing savings account

Cindy

May 4th, 2019 Panama City Beach, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This company is dishonest. This company takes your money and then creates reasons to not be responsible for your repairs. If you do get repair people, usually they are second rate and care more about First American Home Warranty’s bottom line at the expense of all of us customers. I finally had enough and tried to cancel both my properties. I was told to do it by email no live customer service to talk to. I received an auto response then nothing. I tried to call the next day to have cancellation confirmed and was hung up on. I wrote a second email and cancelled my automatic drafts, wrote negative review for Better Business Bureau. I tried calling again and was told they will take 30 more days to cancel my policies. I wrote two more negative reviews then was called and a real live person tried to argue their position as if I was wrong for canceling. Unbelievable !!! Beware. Stay away from this crooked and greedy company!!

May 10, 2019

We have reached out to the consumer directly requesting for more information.

Eri

May 1st, 2019 Encinitas, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY THEY WILL RIP YOU OFF. We have a contract with this company. Our water heater went out. The contractor said it needs to be replaced. A technician was finally dispatched 5 days later. Now their saying we need to pay $800 out of pocket to bring it up to code. What a joke. This company belongs on American Greed.

Brent Eischen

May 1st, 2019 Cary, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

First claim...denied. My garage door belt broke and they sent a technician out. The tech confirmed the break and found a broken hinge and a few cracked hinges and stated that the hinges could have contributed to the belt break. Claim denied 100% stating I should have done proper maintenance. Wont even pay for the belt!

May 07, 2019

Hi Brent. We appreciate your feedback and have reviewed your concerns regarding your claim.

Laura

May 1st, 2019 Wirtz, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My experience with First American home warranty has been awful. It is complete frustration. Our air conditioner has not worked properly for one and a half years. It is leaking in the coil of the unit but the company they’ve selected to cover my area will not do a test to determine the leak. We of course have paid for the leak test with another (reputable) company on our own along with over $600 worth of Freon. It takes the technician over two weeks to come for an appointment when I call. It’s disgraceful. I will never use their service again. I will tell anyone who is interested about my experience and certainly discourage anyone from getting their service.

May 06, 2019

We have reached out to the consumer directly requesting additional information.

Luke

May 1st, 2019 Missoula, MT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Absolute garbage, we received a home warranty after buying a house. It is terrible customer service. They make you break down the quote from our plumber down to individual ball valves. They were also not going to pay for the removal of our water heater. I could understand a electric oven but a gas water heater where you have to disconnect gas lines. There was one person who was helping with our claim after a few days working with her she disappeared. We had her direct phone line and she said she would call no later than the next day and heard nothing for days so we had to start over and have since talked to 6 different people

May 06, 2019

We have reached out to the consumer directly, awaiting their response.

Tyler George

April 25th, 2019 Lubbock, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

DONT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY ON THIS TERRIBLE COMPANY. My air conditioner has been out for 3 weeks now. They sent a technician out and he said it needs a new coil. That I would have to spend 1200$ out of pocket to bring it up to code. I asked First American what they would pay for the repair so I can decide whether to replace the entire unit or not. They said they would call me back with a number. Never heard back. I have now called 5 times in the past two weeks. Every time I am told they will call me back with a number. They still have not done so. I am on hold with them right now (30 minutes) as they still are trying to figure out what they will cover. This is by far the worst customer service experience I have ever had and to make matters worse I am without an air conditioner in the middle of Spring in Texas.

Apr 29, 2019

We have reached out the consumer directly and awaiting additional information.

Nancy

April 25th, 2019 Canyon Country, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've been a customer since I purchased my home in 1997. They were great up until last year where all my three claims were denied for different issues. FAHW has received over $20K of my money in all these years for minimal fixes "plus" the service fees paid to technicians. I'm not sure if there's been a change in management but they have seen the last of my business. I've cancelled my service agreement.

Apr 29, 2019

We have reached out to the consumer directly.

Chad

April 25th, 2019 Westerville, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I would recommend not using this company. As usual, they will do anything in their power not to fix the issue or pay for anything. I had to submit multiple claims for the same problem. They contractor they "vetted" came out twice and was unable to diagnose or fix my issue. I had to spend time and money to try and fix the issue myself, but was unable to do so, so had to try and contact them again. They assigned the same contractor who wasn't able to fix the issue. When I asked to switch contractors, they said they couldn't do that. Essentially, they have wasted my time and money, a completely useless organization.

Apr 26, 2019

We have responded to the consumer directly requesting for additional information.

HF

April 25th, 2019 Chattanooga, TN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

DO NOT waste your money on one of these home warranties! I am a real estate professional and have sent them a lot of customers in the past. I got a home warranty for myself on my home, and after being in the home discovered a major plumbing backflow problem. I had a professional plumber take a look at it to explain to me exactly what the problem was. He told me to call my home warranty company to do the job since it was covered. They sent out a very unprofessional plumber who ignored my requests when I tried to explain the issue to her. She did not complete the job and stated she would not charge me. However, about a month later I received a bill in the mail for a $75 service charge. On top of that, the problem worsened, and I now have sewage backing up into my sink. I called First American assuming they would be more helpful with the situation and at least remove the $75 service fee from my account, especially considering the worsened problem is going to cost me $1,000+ at this point. Their customer service representatives were very rude and kept interrupting me as I was trying to explain the story. They had no interest in helping whatsoever. They would rather make their $75 than keep customers satisfaction a priority.

JamesFam

April 25th, 2019 Raleigh, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My water heater required replacement and I requested service from First American. They sent out a technician who confirmed the water heater was indeed in need of replacement, but then the technician stated I needed to pay an additional $600 for items for code modifications not covered by the warranty. However, all of the items that were "not covered" already existed on the failed water heater. So how are these code modifications!!?? Trying to explain this to First American was like watching grass grow...they are not qualified to speak to customers on technical issues and continue to repeat what they were told to say from the manual. Left with no options, we took the pay out, which barely covered the costs of a replacement water heater. What's more disappointing, I was told that if I had purchased the next level of insurance coverage, FA could cover a portion of the additional charges! Strongly suggested to not purchase home warranty from this company. They do not believe in customer service and you will be extremely frustrated.

Apr 26, 2019

We have reached out to the customer directly requesting for additional information.

Cassandra h

April 25th, 2019 Kannapolis, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The repair companys sent to my home to date either wanted an outrageous deposit without giving me date of repair work to be started and 2nd one who reported he was understaffed to complete job now after starting claim on april 9th i am still without working ac was on hold over 30 mins for supervisor without any updates or anyone coming to line and being told to wait another 5 days for a 3rd repairman to come and test system for report of problem. No one is helping me, only offered 150 refund after i paid 300 for portable ac and almost 3 weeks later no closer to having issue fixed. My contract is up in june i feel like they are delaying so it will run out, and sending daily emails reminding me to renew, why would i renew when u wont fulfill ur side of contract in timely manner by having real repair companys

May 01, 2019

Hello Cassandra, Our records indicate your air conditioning system was installed and working properly as of April 30, 2019. At this time, your claim is considered closed. Thank you.

Lisa

April 24th, 2019 Nashville, TN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My HVAC needs a new evaporator coil (EC). First of all, this issue was diagnosed at the start of last fall and they did nothing but add freon, so I knew this Spring I'd be in the same spot I was last Fall. Sure enough, after another $75 service call fee...same diagnosis this Spring. Now, my cost of the repair is $545, First American's (FA) portion is $301. Labor to replace an EC is 2-3 hours and a new EC will range from $300-$1475. It doesn't take Einstein to figure out that I'm getting fleeced in this situation. I will say that when you do get someone on the phone at FA, they do a fine job if you can understand their English. FA has trained them well to stand firm, tow the company line, and continue to repeat the same lines time after time. If you're looking to be treated dishonestly and unfairly this is the company for you.

Yvette Johns

April 24th, 2019 Powder Springs, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've already reached out to this company to cancel my service. I've been a paying customer for almost three years now and in that time have been denied two out of three claims for repairs that were minimal in cost for them to cover in comparison to the hundreds of dollars I've paid to them in premiums over the years. They always seem to find a ridiculous loop hole to refuse their claim, which I've heard contractors both affiliated and unaffiliated confirm more than I once now. Most recently, I was denied because PART of something that needed to be repaired was located outside of the house, despite the fact that the issue also extended very clearly inside the house. Not to mention the actual repair is negligible in cost to them compared to what I've even just paid them this year. I've only grown more and more disappointed with their excuses and I hope others will avoid home warranties and simply save the money they would have spent in a savings account to prep for potential issues in the future. It is not with it.

Apr 26, 2019

We have reached out to the consumer requesting for additional information in order to assist her.

Jose florez

April 24th, 2019 St. Petersburg, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Bad poor service they don’t comply with contract, not enough explanations in coverage and on top of that you still have to pay their service fee for nothing, I needed to replace a part of water heater where contract says that all Parts are covered and at the end they said is not covered.

John ward

April 23rd, 2019 Alpharetta, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I'm definitely not recommend to peoples to buy home warranty with First American home warranty. They are horrible service and you week and week long to respond your request for service, I did claim for my refrigerator not cool and wait for a week they send some one in and they find the problem report to home warranty and wait for another week they send some one in look it and order parts. You have to wait for a month to get it done what you do with your food? Bad and bad horrible and horrible.....

Apr 26, 2019

We have reached out to the consumer directly to assist with resolution.

Daniel Hayes

April 23rd, 2019 Apex, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have multiple properties and they can't get the work orders Facilitated to the right property. Not to mention their contractors are charging more than double what the cost of the repair is to the customers and take much longer to get the repairs done. You can pick up a phone book or search online for for someone else and get it done cheaper and faster.

Tony Jefferson

April 22nd, 2019 Lawrenceville, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Please don’t ever use this company they are a SCAM. You get poor quality service from repairmen and the company. Customer service representatives are rude and don’t answer questions. They only want your money and don’t have any authority to help. They try to delay hoping you will give up.

Apr 24, 2019

We have responded to the consumer directly and are awaiting for additional information in order to review his claim.

Carol

April 22nd, 2019 San Carlos, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

When I purchased my house the sellers provided a warranty with first American. After the first year I continued to pay on the policy. One day I woke up to a hardwood kitchen floor covered in water. The water in the fridge leaked. I called first American and wouldn’t you know they didn’t cover the fridge. They claimed they covered all the other appliances. Really? In the policy it did not say fridge was excluded. They never covered a thing. Total waste. I would NOT recommend this company.

May 16, 2019

We have reached out the consumer directly and awaiting additional information.

Shiv

April 22nd, 2019 Cary, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They play games and make sure to avoid or deny claims. I didn't get any proper help from them and I felt I literally wasted my with them.

Apr 24, 2019

We have reached out the consumer directly.

Dana

April 22nd, 2019 Anaheim, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We asked for a buyout cost for our pool pump in order to upgrade to a high efficiency pool pump. We waited over a month and were never given that amount. We finally decided to just replace the pump since we had been without for a month. There was miscommunication between First American and the Pool Repair company. I don't know who was to blame as I received different feedback from both, but we're well over 1 month in and have still not been able to have our pool pump or pool filter cover replaced. I've had to call First American EVERY SINGLE WEEK to try and get this done...it's been a very frustrating process and it's still not complete. I gave 3 stars because we had an issue with our water pressure, and that claim was fixed and settled within 2 weeks...great experience.

Apr 24, 2019

We have reached out to the consumer in an attempt to resolve their matter.

SS

April 19th, 2019 Collierville, TN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had a very poor experience with First American. My water heater started leaking and their tech said it needs to be replaced. He said it will cost me $535 out of pocket because the modifications are not covered. FA said they are paying the plumber $622 for parts and labor. Plus I paid $75 for visit charges. So cost of replacement through warranty is $1232. My local plumber quoted $800 for replacement. Why should I keep warranty. When I asked how much they would pay me for cash out they said $501.50. So they would pay their customer less than the contractor. First American is total rip off. Stay away and hire your own contractor.

Apr 24, 2019

We have reached out to the consumer directly request for information in order to review the complaint in its entirety.

Melissa Castodio

April 17th, 2019 Tulare, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

First, I would give zero stars if I could. Our pool pump went out a week ago. We called to schedule someone to come out. Quickest they could have anybody out was today. So we took it. Nobody showed in the 4 hour timeframe they gave up. My husband called to see if someone would be coming out and they said "no they had to reschedule". Nobody notified us. My husband took a day off to be home and have this taken care of. He asked to speak with a supervisor and the supervisor was very rude and not helpful at all. He basically said he would put in another request but could not guarantee that someone would show. My husband asked for a refund of our $75 deductible and he said he would put in for it. So he asked to speak with whoever would be approving these requests and the man said he is the one since he is the Manager. His name is Andre. So my husband asked him if it would be approved and he said if you are asking me to make a decision today my decision would be no. I would highly recommend not wasting your time on this SCAM.

Steve Newman

April 17th, 2019 Murrieta, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ease of making appointments - followup- good- now if we can get out dryer repaired or replaced.

Apr 19, 2019

Hi Steve. Thank you for your review. We appreciate it.