1. First American Home Warranty

First American Home Warranty has been an industry leader for over 35 years and has a reputation of providing quality home warranty plans with extensive coverage for homeowners across the nation. The home warranty provider has serviced millions of claims, saving homeowners more than $180 million in covered repairs and replacements.

The company has a large network of prescreened technicians so you don't have to worry about doing your own research and independently finding your own technician. Warranty coverage lasts for one year and monthly payment options are available as well. First American Home Warranty ranked in our list of Top 10 Best Home Warranty Companies of 2019.

The Good

• Decades of Experience and Company Stability
  • Comprehensive Plans
  • Coverage Limits
  • 24/7 Claims Service
  • Online Homeowner Center

Decades of Experience and Company Stability

First American has been providing home warranties since 1984. The home warranty service provider offers coverage to 38 states plus the District of Columbia. Over 35 years of home warranty experience is a good indication of the company’s stability and willingness to provide quality service. Choosing a home warranty company with so much experience could be an additional benefit for homeowners.

Comprehensive Plans

First American Home Warranty currently offers two coverage plans and a variety of additional options for warranty coverage. The monthly cost for a First American Home Warranty plan starts at $28 per month and lasts for one year. The service fee varies by location, but you will typically pay $75 whenever you schedule a repair or replacement with a First American Home Warranty technician. Warranty plan holders can upgrade or expand their warranty plan within the first 30 days of coverage to add on additional systems or appliances.

First American also offers a 30-day review period for new warranty contract holders. Customizable plans are made for homeowners, real estate professionals, as well as network service providers. First American Home Warranty's website allows anyone to receive a sample contract and specific residential warranty pricing within minutes.

First American Home Warranty does not have an age limit on systems and appliances, so you don't have to worry about the company refusing coverage based on this. Warranty coverage for major appliances and systems is as follows (pricing and coverage for protection plans may vary by location):

The Basic Plan: $28 per Month or $336 per Year

• Garage door opener
  • Ductwork
  • Central vacuum system

Optional Coverage

For a fee, you can add additional coverage items to your service contract:

• Central air conditioning (electric) — $9 per month
  • Additional refrigeration — $4 per month
  • Pool/spa equipment — $15 per month
  • Well pump — $7 per month
  • First class upgrade — $9 per month

Coverage Limits

Unlike some home warranty providers, most of First American’s covered items do not carry a specific dollar limit. First American plans do not require a home inspection to be done by a contractor or maintenance records to be retrieved from a repair person for coverage. The service provider also offers extra protection for malfunctions due to lack of maintenance, regular wear and tear, rust, corrosion, and sedimentary build-up. There are no age limits on covered items, and no limit to the number of claims a customer can file.

24/7 Claims Service

No matter the time of day, customers can open a claim. First American offers a 24/7 service request hotline where you can make service calls at any time as well as a user-friendly online customer portal. First American has a nationwide network of workers and prescreens every service contractor and requires them to complete a probationary period to ensure customer satisfaction standards are met through customer survey results.

Online Homeowner Center

First American offers an easy-to-use online homeowner center for all of its customers. From this portal, a customer can open and track their claims, view their contract details, renew their home warranty, and manage communication preferences.

The Bad

• Nationwide Service Unavailable
  • First American Home Warranty Reviews
  • Extra Cost for Air Conditioning Coverage

Nationwide Service Unavailable

First American provides coverage in 38 states and the District of Columbia. There is a tool on its website that allows for a zip code lookup to determine if First American provides coverage for customers in a particular state. Unfortunately, if you are out of First American’s coverage area, you are unable to receive its services.

First American Home Warranty Reviews

First American Home Warranty has some negative reviews highlighting bad customer service, delayed and lengthy response and service time, and hidden fees on appliances. We suggest reading through First American Home Warranty reviews before making a final purchasing decision.

Extra Cost for Air Conditioning Coverage

Many home warranty providers offer air conditioning as part of their premier plan or combo plan, but First American Home Warranty only offers an AC unit as additional coverage with an extra fee you add to your chosen plan. This may be a problem for customers looking to have air conditioning as part of their prearranged plan. However, because the AC unit isn't covered in First American Home Warranty's two main plans, this is what makes the company's warranty cost cheaper than most.

The Bottom Line

With 35+ years of experience and a large network of service providers (each contractor is reviewed and put through a probation period to ensure customer satisfaction), First American Home Warranty has comprehensive protection with high coverage limits for major appliances and systems. With a competitive cost and service call fee and multiple plan options, First American Home Warranty gives you more value for your money and covers customers with flexible payment options for various budgets.

The company offers a basic plan for customers that are looking for more standard coverage, as well as a premier plan for homeowners wanting more robust coverage. Additional add-on items are also available for coverage so consumers can pick and choose other major systems and appliances they want covered. Note that First American Home Warranty only covers the wear and tear of major appliances and systems. Like most home warranty companies, First American does not cover pre-existing conditions.

When compared to other home warranty companies, First American Home Warranty has a competitive monthly cost and service fee. Some warranty providers charge upwards of $600 per year with a $100 service fee.

First American Home Warranty created its home warranty programs with not just homeowners in mind but network service providers and real estate professionals as well. Typically, for whichever home warranty plan you select, the service contract will last for one year.

If you want to learn about what customers think of the company, such as response time, customer service, and quality of repair, check out First American Home Warranty reviews below.

Call our recommended rep over at First American Home Warranty below.

3.8

Mistye

August 1st, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Recently I had a leak in my bathroom. I called the contractor and they were out the following day. It was very quick and efficient the contractor was there maybe five minutes.

Aug 01, 2019

Hello Mistye. Thank you for your review.

Chuck

August 1st, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I would like them to be a little bit more clear under warranty package what is covered. They had to come out twice for my hot water heater. I just think that she could have handled it the first time.

Aug 01, 2019

Hi Chuck. Thank you for your review.

JoAnn

July 31st, 2019 Hampton, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

If you like getting sub par contractors assigned to do your repair work, then 1st American is for you. I think they look for the cheapest and not the best, and they are usually companies you have never heard of. If you like a painful experience of getting approval for the repairs and parts, then 1st American is for you. (All while your service fee goes up each year) If you like being shuffled from department to department when trying to resolve a claim, then 1st American is for you. If you like having to jump though hoops to extract yourself from a contract that was renewed despite your indicating you did not wish to (because of the worst customer experience of your life) then 1st American is for you. Just make sure you are cool with waiting 30 days to end the contract, while they continue to take your monthly payment! If you are thinking of signing up with 1st American....think again. And for those who may think this is one disgruntled customer...as I shared my frustration with my co workers, the common response was "Oh my gosh, we dropped them as soon as we could."

Theb

July 30th, 2019 Porterville, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This company really does not care about the customer. We filed a claim for a non-working pool pump over a week ago and the contractor never contacts us. We have called FAHW several times over the pass week and we keep getting the run-around. Every representative we talk to always tells us that if the contractor does not call us by the end of the day they would escalate our claim and get us another contractor. That has never happened. FAHW never calls us back, we are always calling them back, in which they always tell us the same thing. FAHW scheduled an appt for us without confirming with us whether we would be available, which we were not as we were out of town. We ask to talk to a supervisor but they are never available. The temperature is in the 100s in our area and the water has been sitting stagnant way too long already. I regret renewing this warranty and will not be renewing in the future.

Courtney

July 30th, 2019 Williamstown, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

These people are terrible ! I have had someone out 3 different times to fix my AC it is 90 degrees in my house I am pregnant and have asthma and have been without air almost all summer ! Every person you talk to tells you something else ! They then said I could use an outside company because their company still hasn’t contacted us to set up an appointment and when the guy came out and said we need a whole new unit they are making it impossible to get it replaced saying we didn’t get the right information from the technician...we are out about $700 dollars already dealing with the same issue ! I would never recommend them.

Melinda Kauahquo

July 30th, 2019 Oklahoma City, OK DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I used to have this. I cancelled it because I had a leak under my sink and they never sent anyone. Then they charged me some fees for canceling. They didn't even care that my kitchen floor was ruined. This is a scam. They just want your money. You are better off having a savings account just for home repairs.

Rebecca Lloyd

July 28th, 2019 Houston, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I put in a request for my air conditioning to be repaired. It is 100 degrees today and they are telling me I can get it repaired until tomorrow. They are terrible. I will call a service tec and cancel my service. Their option is to give me 150.00 towards a 500.00 portable air conditioner. Who can wait 48 hours in 100 degree weather.

Aug 06, 2019

Hello Rebecca, We would like to apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during the handling of your claim. Please be advised, you informed First American that you has your air conditioning system repaired. As such, we requested a copy of your contractor's invoice for review but you declined to send it in. At this time, your claim is considered closed. Thank you.

Karen E Neal

July 27th, 2019 Overland Park, KS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I honestly think this company is almost a scam. I bought my home in December of 2014 and have faithfully paid into my plan monthly since then, about $54 a month for 55 months. That's approximately $2,970 I've paid. The first time I used the insurance was for my dishwasher, which is so old the top rack is broken off and the baskets are rusted out. I was honest with the First American representative when I called about the issues and they sent a repair person out to take a look. I paid the repair person the $65 (at that time in 2015) service fee. He said he would order new baskets and the parts to fix the top wrack. I never heard back from him and never received a response from First American. No repair was completed--they just got my $65 for nothing. Then I got busy with life as a single mom working full time and attending college. Fast forward to 2019, my dishwasher is still running (no thanks to First American) with rusted out baskets and a top rack that is hanging off on one side. Now I have a new issue. My oven stopped working the second week or so of June. I called First American. It took their service provider over a week to get out to my home. The repair person who came said it was an easy fix and could be taken care of quickly but they had to order a part through First American. First American has a control problem--major micromanagement issues. Unfortunately, it took First American over a month to deliver the part to the service company. Finally, six weeks after I filed the claim, the repair was made but while the technician was installing the new circuit board, he broke off a few pieces on my oven, twisted the drawer face of the bottom pull out storage shelf and stripped the paint off the control panel face on the front of the stove. I'm not waiting on the replacement for that. Then, the main reason I've been paying for this insurance happened. My heating and cooling system went caput. I called First American thinking, well, let's see if they can get it right this time. Thank God I have insurance! Nope. They assigned me to a heating and cooling repair company that literally gets one star, but the truth of that is the reason for the one star is primarily because of the time it takes the insurance company to respond. It should not take 5 to 8 weeks to get an air conditioning unit or system back up and running. There is no way I am going to make my family wait that long for air conditioning in the heat of the midwest summer. We went with Bob Hamilton instead and paid the price and I don't regret it for a moment. I'm done with First American Home Warranty. There is no way they are getting any more of my hard earned dollars. I HIGHLY recommend you do not go with them!! I promise you will not be satisfied and they will not take care of you. I don't know who said they are number one but it's not true. I have heard countless praises for other companies that replace obviously old ovens and dishwashers for new home buyers, no questions asked. Leaving families to sweat it out or freeze while you order parts shipped on slow boats from other countries is unacceptable and no way to treat loyal customers. Their telephone representatives are very nice but it doesn't translate to quality service. Very poor.

Chamour

July 25th, 2019 Fontana, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I wish I could give them zero starts. In July 2017 they send an AC company that cause damage to my AC (Royal). They sent another company to repair the damage and install a new compressor (Platinum) and it cost $235. That was fine. July 2019 my AC is out again and they sent Platinum and they're saying I need a new compressor again and it will cost $400. First American is saying there is nothing they can do and we have to pay the money. It's horrible service and I'm looking for a new company right now.

Sep 24, 2019

Hello Chamour, We would like to apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during the handling of your claim. Our records indicate you were reimbursed $230.00 for the haul away and recovery. At this time, your claim is considered closed. Thank you.

Dwayne W

July 25th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Poor customer service and no choice on who does the repairs. About 6 months ago, we had an issue with our ice maker. They sent out a 2 star repair company. The guy they sent must have been his first day. He was constantly texting and sending pictures to someone who was helping him. Three calls and three weeks later, we FINALLY had ice (after insisting on another repair tech). Now here we are again. Ice maker not making ice again. I call and they dispatch the SAME company. I told them I wanted someone else, but they say they can't find a complaint about this repair company, even though I assured them I did. First American hires sub par contractors and does not care about customers or their satisfaction.

Melanie

July 25th, 2019 Apex, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very, Very, Very frustrated with First American Home Buyer's Insurance Company. 1) Website is horrible! HOME OWNER CENTER is NOT user friendly. When I call customer service it asks to provide the 9 digit work order number that is NOT on my website when I log in. It just provides the SERVCE Order number. What gives?? Website - Does not give #, does not show details about WHEN..date/time contractor came out..how it was diagnosed. Instead it just shows date ticket was opened, contractor info. Website doesn't give person's extension # working on the service contract so when I call in..it asks for that info that IS NOT ON MOST service requests. 2) Called in multiple times to find out the cash out value for a microwave that a contractor could not fix. Everytime I called at least 4 times, I was told I'll get a call back in 24hrs and never did. I finally got one 1.5 months later since the contractor came out. 3) It says we can manage our claims online. I messaged service twice on service request and they ONLY wrote me back AFTER I had to call in. 4) Horrible, horrible experience. Going to look elsewhere for a home warranty.

Paul

July 25th, 2019 Medford, OR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Working with this company has been the worst experience I’ve ever had. All the previous complaints are exactly what I have gone through as well; non-communication, sending inexperienced technicians, poor customer service and delaying of jobs. I work in real estate and so I tell everyone I know to avoid FAHW.

Phil Grimmett

July 24th, 2019 Collierville, TN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The experience I had on my one claim was good

Jul 24, 2019

Thank you Phil for your review.

Nicholas Cooprider

July 24th, 2019 Houston, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Quick to connect to service provider and provider was excellent

Jul 24, 2019

Hello Nicholas. Thank you for your review, we appreciate it.

Marvin Black

July 24th, 2019 Thompson's Station, TN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Responsive, prompt, and connected to reputable repair companies.

Jul 24, 2019

We appreciate your feedback, Marvin!

Bernadine Gonzalez

July 24th, 2019 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great customer service. Normal wait time is 1 day.

Jul 24, 2019

Thank you Bernadine, we looking forward to servicing you again in the future.

Albert

July 24th, 2019 Little Rock, AR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Good experiences with customer service. Most of the companies used be first American have been very good.

Jul 24, 2019

Thank you Albert for your feedback!

Jeanne Unrue

July 24th, 2019 Rochester, MI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Our policy has more than paid for itself every year. Good communication and fast responses.

Jul 24, 2019

Hello Jeanne, thank you for your review!

Anthony Young

July 24th, 2019 Milton, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Prompt service, quick response, fast turn around.

M. Bryant

July 24th, 2019 Riverdale, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Only had 1 service call this year, and have already took survey regarding Sears technician!

May

July 24th, 2019 Lakewood, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They’re unprofessional and contracted with incompetent plumbers. I detected a gas leak and the gas company confirmed it. First American sends out plumbers that “fix it” but the gas company still detects the leak and will not turn on my gas. I’ve been without gas for 3 weeks now. It takes them a week at a time to get an order put in and for a contractor to come out and “fix” the problem. And this is considered their “emergent” schedule. They are also terrible at returning your calls.

Mark

July 24th, 2019 Cumming, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Two weeks ago our air conditioning broke. We called First American and they gave us a vendor that would come in 4 days. The vendor cancelled our appointment and we could not get another one until the next week. Once the vendor finally did show they gave us the information that we needed a coil. The warranty company said it was not covered we sent a copy of the contract. They agreed it was covered and said they would order the part. After another weekend we called to ask what the status was.... they had forgotten to order the part...now it will be another week .....terrible company do not use them

Brandon Nerkowski

July 23rd, 2019 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have leak in my house. I called and made a claim. The sent a leak detection company to my house Very Professional. Then the adjusters came very unprofessional. The leak company backed up the damage of my floor sink and dishwater was damaged from the leak. The claim adjusters first comment was to insult my handicap mother. She uses a brace to walk and it takes her long time to go down stairs. When she opened the doors she apologized for the wait. While they were in my home the other adjuster stated "she is faking it". First of all she is an old woman with health issues we don't need your commentary attacking her character, we need the leak fixed and repairs done. Secondly the adjuster states the where the floor was raised wasn't caused by the leak. Exactly the opposite of what the leak detection company they sent out told us. There is clearly over 1000 dollars of damage , but the adjuster was saying I need to fix the leak. They just fix the damage and it isn't even enough to surpass the deductible. because they only want to fix the side directly attached to the dishwasher. Now i have been waiting for a response from the person handling my claim. I have made numerous attempts to call with no avail being sent voicemail and no responses. I need to fix this issue before more damages occur. Still no response. I may have to talk to lender and just pay more for State farm or Progressive insurance. I am used to insurance agent being prompt and answering their calls this is peculiar. It really does seem very shady and not transparent. Please somebody help my policy is up for renewal in October. I really don't want to have to change but if this isn't fixed by then and i end paying more that will be my final solution.

Shawn Wesley Bainum

July 22nd, 2019 Katy, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Every claim I submit seems to find a way to be denied. They are all about putting a bandaid on the issue rather than fixing the issue.

yogi

July 20th, 2019 Alpharetta, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I would give a 0 star. They have not fixed my dishwasher in more than 3 months. The quality of repair companies they hire seems not good.

Steven

July 20th, 2019 Marietta, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My AC has a problem...they sent a contractor and said nothing wrong...now the AC stops working...but they still try to collect $75 service fee for not servicing...

Amy

July 20th, 2019 Woodland, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Terrible customer service. The lady on the phone was so rude to me and insisted that my broken water heater would not be covered. After several calls back they finally sent someone out to my home. The company they sent came four times over the course of two weeks and the issue was never resolved. Let me repeat that: cold water for two whole weeks. I had read somewhere online that home warranties have to resolve cold water in less than 14 days because it’s technically a sanitary issue and when I reminded my representative of this she proceeded to tell me that it’s fourteen days to replace the water heater from when they decide it needs to be replaced no matter when I called them. Um, what? That makes no sense. Once I finally decided I was done with this company and opted to just call myself a plumber I was advised my by realtor to see if they would offer money to have the problem fixed elsewhere. Good news: they did. Bad news: I was literally on hold for 47 minutes while they figured it out. I honestly think someone went to lunch and forgot about me. Long story short, save yourself the trouble. I called another plumber after dealing with the warranty company for two weeks and they came within two hours and replaced my water heater without any issue. This company has terrible customer service and will do whatever it takes to avoid having to pay for the fix. They truly do not have the customer in mind.

Nik

July 19th, 2019 Lake Forest, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They are consistently the worst customer service I have ever had on any home warranty. I have had two issues in a row in the last month and they have a been horrific experiences and have cost me way too much stress. I also have a lot of hidden fees for things you have to pay for when just getting an appliance facts which I am now switching the plan because I cannot take this anymore. They do not respond to service request put in online right away you have to call them and follow up to get anything done and half the time that doesn’t even have an even an emergency situation. Was extremely unhappy with how they did not follow up with me at all or Assign the service to anyone Until I called on both instances. The second time that’s happened to the claim had to be reassigned because it went to a contractor that was no longer servicing in the area and this was a huge waste of time and me calling him to follow up to get the job done. The next day I asked to speak with the manager about it and how unhappy I was with the service and the manager was very This respectful towards me and said he needed to talk first and I finally hung up on him. Do not need to be treated this way for my so-called manager once I am already super upset. Needless to say I am no longer using First American home warranty. So I am still waiting a week later for the contractor to show up.

Keith

July 19th, 2019 Reynoldsburg, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Run don't waste your time. Submitted a claim to fix my AC a week ago. No resolution. I'm pretty sure this is a scam.i feel my $500 went to pay for a call center in India to give me excuses every day how co tractors are not available. Then they proceed to tell me to back every 4 to 8 hours they will have a resolution. I couldn't make this stuff up. Spend hours of my personal time trying to get a so called company to hold up there end of the commitment. Here is what you get with your new home warranty. 1. You pay $400 to $600 for a peice of mind and fancy pamphlets. 2. You can submit a very easy online claim. 3. A local hack job is sent a request to repair your issue not a credible company. 4. That hack job doesn't respond to your claim, calls or emails. 5. You get to jump thru the 300 hoops First American throw at you. 6 you get to call back and wait 1 hour every 4 to 8 hours to be told nothing but to call back. 7. You now have waisted $500 lots of valuable time and still have a house thats 100 degrees with 3 kids a upset wife and over heated bulldog. 8. Thanks First American for your unbelievable abiltly to run a legit legal scam

James Thomas

July 19th, 2019 Virginia Beach, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Dealing with First American Home Warranty to get our AC repaired was one of the worst experiences that I have ever encountered dealing with customer service. The ineptitude of this company from the case workers to management is beyond belief. We filed a claim on 5/22/19 because our AC went out and we needed it repaired. It took two weeks before their one star vendor was able to come out and take a look. It was determined then that the evaporation coil and refrigerant needed to be replaced. The part was under warranty so First American did not need to cover the price of the part. They told me it would take between 7-10 business days to get the part. Two weeks later they called me to tell me that the wrong part was ordered and that it would take another 7-10 business days to get the right part. After talking to a claims specialist and a manager, I was told that they would try to get the part expedited because it was their fault for ordering the wrong part. A few days later I called to get a status and was told that they were waiting for a refurbished part to become available from their preferred vendor and that it could take a few more weeks. I decided to take matters into my own hands and called the company (Goodman) that the original part was warrantied under and they informed that the part was on the shelf and could be in my area within five days. I also found a four star vendor to perform the installation. I accomplished more in 30 minutes than they had accomplished in six weeks. First American issued a check for the part installation but refused to pay for the refrigerant. So basically they were going to leave me without a functioning AC unit. My family suffered at the hands of this company from May 22nd to July 10th during some of the very hottest weeks of summer. We also had to take time off from work on four separate occasions just to get a dripping shower faucet fixed on a different claim! Most of us purchase a home warranty to be protected from the unexpected and to know that someone is looking out for us in case something critical breaks down. This company is only worried about their profit margin and not their customers. In fact, there is even a “I hate First American Home Warranty Facebook Page” filled with stories just like mine. I will definitely not be renewing my subscription with them next month. If you would not hire a one star vendor to work on your home, then why would you pay a big company money to send out a one star subcontractor? Buyer Beware!

Nicole Cici

July 19th, 2019 Olive Branch, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY! I've had this company for over 7 years and each and every time I make a claim, there are so many problems. I found out from one of the contractors that FAHW tells the contractors to make minimal repairs. In other words, just put a bandaid on the problem and they'll call again. I've been without a refrigerator for a month. They offered to reimburse me $70 if I bought one. You can't even buy a mini fridge for that money. The temps are in the 3 digits here. I have nowhere to put milk, eggs, juice or anything else for my children. When I told the Customer Service Rep that this in unacceptable and I was going to cancel my contract, his response was "ok" as in, "ok, great, can't wait." I never received a call back that I requested from a supervisor. How can they call themselves a warranty company and let their customers go without the necessity of a refrigerator for a month? I'm cancelling and if I would have read the reviews when I bought my home over 7 years ago, I wouldn't have went with this company. Horrible service, worse customer service, not worth your money...let me add that the rate goes up every year and the service fee for service that gets worse.

Jul 24, 2019

Hello Nicole, We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during the handling of your claim. Our records indicate your kitchen refrigerator was repaired on July 18, 2019. In addition, we waived your $75.00 service call fee in the interest of customer service. At this time, your claim is considered closed. Thank you.

Shawn

July 19th, 2019 Acworth, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Insurance Bad faith: left me without AC for over 35 days in Georgia, in the summer heat, refused to escalate, let service companies miss multiple appointments, weeks of the house over 80 degrees made it uninhabitable. I called a technician on my own outside of the warranty, had it diagnosed same day and System replaced within 5 days. AHW now refusing to reimburse me. By taking my premium and intenionally refusing to diagnose and make my repair, they have committed fraud.

Aug 12, 2019

Hello Shawn, We would like to apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during the handling of your claim. Upon review, First American authorized the reimbursement in lieu of the replacement to the air conditioning system. Please be advised, you will receive your check in seven to ten days. Thank you.

Kristina S

July 18th, 2019 Mission Viejo, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Do yourself a favor and stay away from First American Home Warranty! As a first time home buyer I'm incredibly disappointed with the services from this company. We called them to fix a leak in the bathroom. First they canceled the original appointment because they claimed that they had the wrong address. The appointment was reschedule to a few days later. When the day came, they called a few hours before schedule and tried to cancel it again saying that they were running behind. I mentioned that I had left work to open the house for their visit, and that I'd want them to come. Long story short, an "employee" named GERA showed up 3 hours later, he did not come in a work related vehicle and did not bring any tools with him. I met him outside the house and walked him inside to where the issue was (a continuous leak in our shower). Gera took a few photos (on his cell phone)of the shower and handed me a receipt stating that I owe $75.00 (cash only). I kindly told him that I do not mind paying but he did not service anything and that I wanted a work order made or service done before I pay. Gera did not state anything about what he or the company will do or let me know of any service that would be needed. He simply said that was okay and walked out of the house. I did not hear back from the company again. I, as a woman, thought that this was the most unusual service situation and was completely uncomfortable with his late hour, not work related car, no tools, and him asking for cash. I had to go outside the company and get the leak fixed by another outside company and paid my own money. Later I received a call from First American stating that I had an outstanding balance for work the bathroom work that they claimed to have done themselves. After explaining the situation they demanded proof that I had gotten the service done by another company. After providing them with the information they requested, I was surprised to receive a letter from a collections agency requesting the payment. I also noticed that my case has moved from closed to re-opened without my knowledge. This situation is ridiculous, I had to spend more money to get the bathroom serviced, and also my personal time on phone calls and sending emails to this company and they are still trying to charge me like they completed work at my house. I would NEVER recommend this company to any friends/relatives, and it has dramatically shaken my belief in the "home insurance" market. One star is more than they deserve. Get it together First American!!!

Mike

July 17th, 2019 Greensboro, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Three things to look out for. In my area they don’t have enough contractors, so you might have to wait several day to get Someone to come out and take a look at your problem. Once they diagnose the problem it may take 3 to 4 weeks to repair, if parts are needed. And when you’re waiting for a contractor, the window they give you maybe 8am in the morning to 6pm (Sears home Repairs) in the evening.

Ken

July 17th, 2019 San Bernardino, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had this warranty for two years now and this company has not done one positive thing. Or maybe their vendors that are sent out are poorly chosen. Each time something is wrong, a second opinion has to be sent for the issue or something isn't covered when it shows it is covered on the policy. Their customer service reps give different information depending on who you talk to and give horrible information. When you ask to have things noted on the account, it never is done correct or critical information is left off. I advise avoiding this company. What is the point of a warranty if nothing is covered or ever fixed, right?

Bryan McBride

July 16th, 2019 Conway, AR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This home warranty company is terrible. Every time I make a claim they assign the same sub-contractor for the work and that sub is terrible. They take over a week to schedule anyone to come out and when they do arrive they do the minimum amount of work the can and never really fix the problem. So they have to come out multiple times before any real work gets done. When I try to get it assigned to somebody different, the home warranty company takes 48 hours to get it reassigned. So I end up waiting weeks to get anything fixed.

Jul 23, 2019

We appreciate your feedback and look forward to being able to address your concerns directly with you.

Henry h

July 16th, 2019 Yuba City, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I agree with many people here and I would give this outfit less than one star if i could. My recent experience with their claims dept and their so called supervisors was horrible. I was forced to go with this company because the warranty was bought for me by the real estate agent and ge did us no favor!!! This outfit does not stand by its warranty and is not clear about what it covers. Their staff is not helpful and dont return calls. Do yourself a favor and find a more reputable company. I also filed a review with the Better Business Bureau. These gurs are just domain B A D ! !

Tri

July 16th, 2019 Marietta, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Just three words: The worst company! They are always trying to find reasons to not help you! I made three service requests and had a common result: not in my coverage for some stupid reasons like rat bites, outside the house ... DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY LIKE ME.

Wagih

July 15th, 2019 Northridge, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Fast service, efficient corteous and professional staff and contractors

Jul 15, 2019

Thank you Wagih for your review.

Annie Gaye

July 15th, 2019 Conyers, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They respond quickly no added conditions

Jul 15, 2019

Thank you Annie for your review.

M Solomon

July 15th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is a total scam. We had two different issues that we called about, one HVAC and one plumbing. They sent one company that said they could not fix the problem even though I thoroughly described it before they came (so as not to incur the service fee charge, if they couldn't fix it to begin with). Second company never showed. I had to pay both of the fees to get them to not send me to collections. This is the worst company ever. Terrible customer service. They want your money and won't fix anything.

Jodi

July 15th, 2019 Goodyear, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Worst company in the world. DO NOT USE THEM IF YOU'RE LIFE IS DEPENDING ON IT. My A/C went and they sent out a company they work with, probably a large kick and said due to dog pee was the reason my A/C went out. I had Parker come in that same day and said it was due to wear and tear. I will get other estimates and CO's to come out. Please go on the BBB and complain too. DO NOT Even call them

Shanon

July 13th, 2019 Redondo Beach, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Terrible experience and customer service! Any other home warranty insurance has to be better. They will do everything in their power to not help you and to save a few bucks. We needed our range hood replaced as it was not functioning. The original contractor they sent could not locate the missing part and notified First American. First American then did nothing for the next month until we called to follow up. They then realized their error and asked us for the model number, which we provided along with photos and measurements. They spent several more weeks trying to locate the part without success, so finally agreed to provide us with a replacement. Once the replacement was delivered, they placed the responsibility on us to find a contractor to install it. However, they provided us with a budget that was less than half of all the quotes we were getting. After several more weeks arguing this point, they reluctantly agreed to cover the quote provided by the contractor. Once the contractor arrived, the installation required a few unexpected extra steps, so they were charging more. We called the insurance company, but they denied the extra charges! The problem is, without it, we can’t do the installation at all! So now, we have a brand new range hood uselessly sitting in its box in our hallway, since First American refuses to provide adequate funds to install it. Thus far, more than three months later, they have provided a completely useless service as our appliance is still broken. I would encourage all homeowners and real estate agents to purchase their home warranty through any other company, as this entire process has truly been a headache and a nightmare.

Desiree

July 13th, 2019 Cypress, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My home was built with a Trane Air Conditioner. My a/c went out last summer. First American Home Warranty replaced it with a Goodman 2.5 gallon that has my electric bill higher than its ever been since I’ve lived in my 12 year old energy efficient home. I will be calling them to have my unit replaced with the brand I had and a 3 gallon unit because my home is not cooling properly. This company took me backwards. I also had to come out of pocket $1200 at the time of repair. I would like a response from the company because I should have the brand and size unit I had before. Please respond.

Tanya

July 12th, 2019 Roanoke, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Been a customer for over 13 years. Wouldn’t give 1 star if I didn’t have to. Scheduled an appointment to have my stove repaired. I was sent a work order saying that Sears would be repairing my stove on 7/12 between the hours of 8 and 5. Around 2:45 I hadn’t heard anything so I called to ask what time they would be here. I was told the appointment was for the 19th not the 12th as my work order plainly stated. I was YELLED at by two Sears employees when I insisted the appointment was in the 12th, and when I asked to speak to their supervisor....they hung up on me. I called back and asked the employee that answered to transfer me to a supervisor...which after 5 minutes of explaining to her all I wanted was a supervisor she finally transferred me. The only thing the supervisor did was make excuses for the two employees that were rude to me and refused to transfer me to her. Said that their technician would be out on the 19th. After explaining to her that I couldn’t afford to take yet another day off from work she said she didn’t know what to tell me. I asked for her email so I could send her a copy of the work order that I had plainly showing the date as the 12th. She told me she couldn’t give me her email. I called First American....They called Sears....Issue still not resolved. Offered to reschedule appointment through Sears....After the way that I was treated Sears will never get any more of my business. I paid my monthly payment for insurance and I have never been late. When I told First American that I was canceling my policy because I refused to be treated that way by their contractor, they didn’t seem to care. I should be reimbursed for this months payment because my stove still isn’t fixed! Don’t waste your money! If you notice they only respond to the good reviews.....I will make sure to let every outlet of social media know just how they do business! Very dissatisfied customer!

Mark

July 12th, 2019 Ripon, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

First and last claim with First American. Warranty came with house I purchased. Will not be renewing. Customer service is horrible. Technician dispatched to my home to fix a leaky bathtub faucet. Technician an hour late and reeked of smoke. When I called sub-contractor to ask why technician was late I was told that estimated time of arrival given is not accurate due to "our thing is broken. Technician did not even trouble shoot problem of leak, just told me we don't stock Kohler stuff we will need to order it. Order what? They never determined source of leak. Alerted Firs American of issue and they did nothing to resolve. In fact defended actions of their sub-contractor. Fixed myself for $25.00 less than First American service fee

Holly

July 11th, 2019 Greer, SC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

If I could leave 0 stars, I would. My household has been without AC for 56 DAYS!!! And it's July, the HOTTEST days in South Carolina. We have been with First American for over 6 years and they have in no way been willing to help us or push along the contracting company to fix our AC. We have been on the phone trying to get help, with only them saying there isn't anything they can do, that WE have to contact the contracting company. Then when we do they're telling us that we have to contact home warranty.... HUGE communication problems!! We are fed up and once this AC is fixed, we are dropping them. Save your money and go somewhere else!!!

Wilson Lee

July 11th, 2019 Walnut Creek, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My house has a Bryant air conditioner panel. The panel said "System Malfunction." I explained this when I submitted my claim. The first repair person said, "I do not work on these." Instead of the First American Home Warrant (FAHW) sending a second repair person, I had to call and explain that the original repair person did not work on these. FAHW hired a second repair company. Instead of the 2nd company calling me, I had to contact them. I explained that it was a Bryant air conditioner panel. They also said it was outside their realm. So I contacted FAHW again for a 3rd time. The 3rd repairman said that something was amiss and that he would need to contact Bryant. Supposedly the thermostat was not properly attached, but this was unbeknownst to me. However, this should not have taken a month to rectify.

Jul 12, 2019

Hello Wilson, We would like to apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during the handling of your claim. Our records indicate your thermostat was replaced on July 1, 2019. At this time, your claim is considered closed. Thank you.

VICKI Rabenou

July 11th, 2019 Odessa, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

my pool filter got cracked. First American Home warranty send a technician that said that water chemistry was higher than normal and because of that it is not covered. I have a professional pool service every week I asked them and he said that it has nothing to do with the crack in the filter. The chlorine was high because they had to shock the pool because the filter was bypassed. First American are looking for ways to NOT pay you when you need it! Waste of time and money! Insurance that is looking for excuses why it is not covered!

Jul 30, 2019

Hello Vicki, We would like to apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during the handling of your claim. Upon review, we reimbursed you in the amount of $867.55 less the $75.00 service call fee for the pool filter replacement. Please be advised, you will receive your check in seven to ten days. Thank you.

Michelle

July 11th, 2019 Pelzer, SC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Worst experience ever. Had the warranty with zero claims for 6 years. Filed one claim for a leaking coil in my air handler. Took over 3 months to have new air handler installed, but the company they sent to install the air handler unhooked the old one before realizing they had ordered the wrong sized unit. Then, turns out the new unit they ended up installing was incompatible with my compressor unit, causing the wiring to need to be rigged to have the thermostat hooked straight to the compressor for it to work. We went without AC in the middle of the summer for 2.5 weeks during all of this. New air handler also caused system to constantly hunt and starve the compressor unit for oil to where it started to run very loudly and caused my monthly power bill to increase by $40, on top of the $590 I had to pay to this first company to essentially break my AC. I told First American and they sent another company as a second opinion about the outdoor unit. The guy from that company only visibly looked at the unit and did not look at any wiring or line pressures or anything productive and only reported back “no mechanical problems” despite the fact that the system was rigged in a way that the heat wouldn’t work come winter. I contracted a third company on my own who wrote up a detailed explanation of the issue and sent it to First American, who then replied that since their pathetic second opinion said there was no mechanical problem, there was nothing they could do. So I now have had to spend over $3000 to fix the problem that their contractors created. Oh, but they did refund my $75 service fee for the headache.... needless to say, I no longer have First American. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!!