First American Home Warranty

7.3

Mary

They are the best, my experience has been the best. They came and fixed my washer and did a great job.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you Mary for your review.

Jason

It is convenient and always works. I was able to get my claim easily through and the reimbursement check mailed to me.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you Jason for your review!

Gary

They get right with it and get it done. They do what they say they are going to do and everything is perfect.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

We appreciate your feedback, Gary!

Mavy Magna, UT

First American always gets a good company to work on the problem. The last time I called, the person came right away.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you Mavy for your review.

Anonymous Mountain View, CA

I trust the company so far. It is a little expensive but it has been a good experience. The customer service has been really good.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

We appreciate your review. Thank you!

Van Columbia, SC

excellent service and communication. They allowed me to find my own repair company when one was not available

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you Van for your review!

Teresa Manteca, CA

They have been nothing but helpful when needed and have solved the problems that have come up in a timely manner

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you Teresa for your review.

Elaine Robbins Clinton, MS

Courteous, very professional, and follow up with the customer to make sure work was done in a timely manner

Reply from First American Home Warranty

We appreciate your feedback Elaine.

Jun. 4th, 2019

About a month ago I made a call in and the agent helped me get the order in and the service was great.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello, we appreciate your review and look forward to servicing you again in the future.

Barry

Everything was timely. The plumbing was stopped up and the fix was timely and everything and I've never had a problem.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Barry. Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear your plumbing stoppage was resolved. We look forward to servicing you again in the future.

Jennifer

We love the great communication that we get from them. The service is done very quickly, and they do a great job.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you Jennifer for your review.

Cathy Spring, TX

Everything is taken care of in a timely manner. I was satisfied with how they took care of me as a customer.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Cathy, It is fantastic to hear that your issue was resolved promptly!

Oct. 18th, 2021

Charles Aptos, CA

Like the service provided. I think that it is very beneficial. The response time is almost immediate.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Charles. Thank you for your review.

Kwentin

Someone was sent to our house to fix our water heater very quickly. Customer service is very prompt.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Kwentin. Thank you for your feedback.

Bobby Keith Johnson City, TN

I have been paying 59.50 month for approximately 5 years, in the event that I would be protected! So far I have only had a few small problems taken care of which I paid 75.00 for each call. I filed a claim a couple of years ago on my duct work which ended costing me 700.00 out of pocket. December 31st 2020 I filed a claim on our kitchen stove. The tech came out and said he had to order 2 parts for the stove. After many conversations with First American, I was promised about 3 weeks ago that they would replace it! They are still just talking and NOTHING IS BEING DONE! My wife and I are beyond livid! We've been without a stove for months now!!! I continue to get the run around ! They didnt want to replace my stove because of my manufacturers warrenty but im being told they cannot get the parts! My contract with First American Warranty reads repair or replace!!! They dont have to beg me to pay them every month but I certainly feel as though im begging them to hold up their end!!!!

Ehorton Houston, TX

Terrible company. Terrible customer service. They sent a used motor for our dishwasher. Even the contractor sent by them to install it, said it was used and they argued that it was not and wouldn’t buy a new one. Terrible customer service. A contractor came out for our pool heater and said the heater rusted out and needed to be replaced. I never heard another word from anyone for 3 weeks. I tried calling the contractor and they would never call me back. I logged into my account and it said the request was closed. After holding on the phone for an hour, they said the claim was denied because there wasn’t a gas regulator on the unit. We just bought the house and had the pool inspected when purchasing and there was no mention of this, plus the heater had worked for 3 months. They still denied the claim and would not give me a copy of the contractor’s report.

Steve Ross Corona del Mar, CA

I have yet to have First American agree to cover anything of any consequence. I've had three service calls on my HVAC system, and even though I pay extra for the coverage (and in fact only maintained the overall coverage because the HVAC units are aging) each time the contractor assigned has spent more time trying to find a reason not to cover a repair or replacement than they have on the problem itself. A condensor leak was due to "environmental conditions" - I live by the ocean so I'm not sure how salt air is a surprising or exculsionary condition. After replacing the condensor out of my own pocket there was an issue with the heat pump coil - a completely different component that is located inside the house - and that is also not being covered. Previously I was refused service on a bidet which is integrated into our master bathroom toilet. I had to explain to the call center what a bidet was and how it was a component of the toilet. After multiple phone calls I finally gave up and had the unit serviced by a local contractor (and it turned out to be an issue with the toilet rather than the bidet component). Every service event ends up as an argument about coverage - clearly there is a powerful disincentive for a contractor to approve a replacement unit. First American's entire system seems to built upon the premise that nothing is ever actually covered under their policy - unless you can prove otherwise. In other words, if you are counting on your First American plan to cover any major item, don't. You are far better off to have a reputable local contractor deal with any issues. Their HOW plan is a frustrating waste of money.

Liz Tampa, FL

I have been waiting two months to get my AC fixed ( Service Request #310584906). The contractor that was hired took 3 visits and over a month to figure out what was wrong. My requests to send a technician that was certified on my system were denied multiple times. Now First American has ordered the wrong part twice. During this process I have been hung up on/disconnected from their phone system multiple times. Additionally, ever service representative I speak with has a different story on what is going on. The service representative assigned my case won't return any of my phone calls or emails. Unbelievably bad service.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

First American Home Warranty apologizes for any inconvenience the consumer may be experiencing during the handling of their claim. First American’s records indicate the contractor, Prime Service Incorporated, found an additional failure, of the thermostat after the condenser was replaced. First American has authorized the thermostat replacement and ordered the part accordingly. Once the part is ready for pick up, the contractor will be in contact with the consumer to schedule a mutually convenient appointment for job completion. First American considers this claim pending.

Jan. 15th, 2021

Michael Adams Tacoma, WA

I like my warranty.Took care of appliances fast.Have had problems with plumbing FAHW cannot find a emergency plumber waited 2 weeks for them to tell me they did not have one in my area .WANTED me to find one then hire someone have FAHW look at bill then they might refund me minus service charge.Then wait 3 to 4 weeks to get paid.Did to do some advance work finding servicers.

Summer Rhorer Irvine, CA

What a terrible experience. It feels like they try to make you jump through so many hoops to frustrate you to the point that you don't even want to deal with them and just give up on their service (which is what I did). The furnace in the home we purchased went out. The sellers purchased a warranty through First American. We are in the colder months and they have dragged this out for so many weeks. The adults in the house can survive, but my two toddlers are always cold. They have zero sense of urgency, no empathy or desire to fix the issue. I always have to call them- they never respond through the messaging system and each time I call it is at least an hour wait on hold. They are a bureaucratic mess, with so many departments and approvals and steps. It has been 5 weeks since I opened my claim and I still have no solution. Also, the HVAC contractor they sent was unprofessional, slow and I had no confidence in them. They never answer their phone or respond to messages. I will never in a million years recommend First American.

Vee Oberoi San Jose, CA

This service is awful, and I do not recommend it to anyone. I have been waiting 5 days now for a service request to be fulfilled. They claim 24 hours but it’s not true, you don’t get what you pay for with them. After waiting approx 1 hour to get on the phone with someone, they proceed to go through a list of contractors to help with your problem. Well, my operator went through the whole list and said no one was answering or could help me. She proceeded to put me on hold for a reimbursement program where I would be reimbursed for hiring my own private person to help me. But when she put me on hold, she hung up the line. This company is awful, please look into other ones and save yourself the money and time!

Marilyn Benton, AR

I turned in a work order for my microwave oven about two and a half weeks ago. After waiting a week for an appointment for the service tech from Sears to fix it, he came said he could fix it but he wasn't going to because he didn't feel comfortable taking it down and putting it back up. He left without doing a thing. So I called 1st American again. They had a service tech come out almost a week later from another company. The new Tech said he could fix it and he didn't mind taking it down and putting it back up, but he would have to write a report and see if they would pay for the part it needs. So now 2 days later I called 1st American again to see if they authorized the part. Today is Tuesday. The customer service agent told me to call back Friday because it had to have time to go through the authorization process. This is ridiculous. Friday it will be almost 3 weeks since I first turned in the work order. And to add to this complaint. Every time I call I spend close to an hour holding on to talk to someone, then I get hung up on. I call back and hold another 30 minutes to talk to an agent. This has happened every singe time I call. So far I have had a terrible experience with First American. I do not recommend them.

Lucian Roark Houston, TX

It has now been another week with no activity. No replacement of parts. No repair. Voicemails and messages with no response. We are almost at 2 months with no heat, freezing temperatures, and an infant at home. The entire thing is a scam. They take your money, make you pay for the $75 service calls, then reject the repair, are unable to diagnose, or reroute you. They asked us to source our own contractor after a month of not being able to get one out. Then they rejected reimbursement, even though they had previously provided an e-mail authorizing reimbursement. We have spent hours on the phone, complained to the BBB (of which they have a B rating and 2.98 review rating) We are out hundreds of dollars, in addition to the cost of service calls, and still have no resolution. Meanwhile they fail to respond or take action, regardless of the impact to our safety and living condition, and they "can't verify the repair is needed" even they can't get it to work, and their contractor is admittedly unable to diagnose the issue.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Lucian, We would like to apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during the handling of your heating claim. Our records indicate you were provided with a cash payment of $3526.00 in lieu of the furnace replacement. The check was mailed on January 7, 2021. At this time, your claim is considered closed. Thank you.

Mar. 16th, 2021

john gant Chandler, AZ

When you call expect to be on hold for at least 40 minutes before you get a live person. and if they have to transfer you to another department plan on another 40 minutes. The people that answer the phone are pretty good but their hands are tied on what they can do. A couple of people said that they would get back to me but they never did. One lady told me not to hang up because she wanted solve the problem for me now. She left me on hold for a while but she got me the answers I needed. Bottom line, they have a bunch of good people but probably not enough. If they worked on the weekend or even later to accommodate people on the left coast that would be helpful.

Terri Holcomb

They were great when I used them. They answered my questions and were easy to work with when my garage door stopped working. They found a great local repair person and it was a great experience.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you Terri for taking the time to provide us with your review. We appreciate it.

Jul. 10th, 2020

Robin Redbreast Las Vegas, NV

I've been with First American Home Warranty for over 16 years. I can tell you in the past I have had positive experiences with this company. This time, however, not so much. My family and I were out of air conditioning for 14 days. This was due 100% to FAHW. 1. The technician they assigned me was here the very next day. 2. There was a substantial out of pocket cost I was not aware of. 3. I asked FAHW if there was anything they could do to help. 4. FAHW suggested a possible solution would be to take a "cash out/buy out". 5. I asked for a cash out quote so I would be able to make an informed decision. 6. I was told this quote had to come from a different department and that could take a few days. 7. I went the next 12 days, pleading, crying, begging for help and/or call backs from anyone in this company explaining I have a 91 year old cancer survivor who was suffering greatly in the desert heat. 8. While they promised to call back with the SWEETEST and most caring sounding phone voices they DID not call back. I called them 58 times over the days. 9. FINALLY I reached someone named Lisa. She was THE ONLY one who helped me. She was actually able to give me the quote everyone else said would take days and days in minutes right over the phone as I waited. On top of that when Lisa said she would call me back... SHE CALLED. When she said she would send me an email... SHE SENT AN EMAIL. If I had gotten Lisa in the beginning my air conditioner would have been fixed (including the time to order the parts) in less than 5 days instead of 14 days. Once Lisa got involved we were able to get the go ahead over to the contractor who had the issue fixed in two days. Lisa is the ONLY reason I gave 2 stars. Had it not been for her I would have given 0 stars. I really don't think FAHW wants their customers to have this type of experience. They need to get Lisa to train the others including the supervisors I spoke with along the way. In the past I have sent FAHW no less than 8 new customers. I will not send anymore of my friends with this type of service.

Steve Montgomery, TX

Needed an AC repair, within a month of moving into our home. Side note: when buying a home with an AC, spend a $100 to get an AC inspection from a reputable HVAC contractor. Most general home inspection firms don’t do a detailed enough inspection of the AC unit (e.g. using an electronic leak detector) to find a leaking coil. If I could review the contractor who did the repair separate from First Am, the contractor would get five stars and First Am would get one star. The problem with First Am is that despite my paying extra to get AC coverage, with a specifically stated $1,500 maximum, the way that First Am “interprets” the contract language resulted in several exclusions that still resulted in my paying $800 for the job. That could have been a lot more if the Lennox warranty on the coil itself wasn’t still in effect. Bottom line - I’ll certainly never use First Am again.

Philip F Ketterle Atascadero, CA

Good day. I am submitting this as a formal complaint based on the inability of your company to fix my Freezer. I initially contacted your company to have my ice makers checked on my Fridge. The technician came out numerous times and fixed the upper freezer and wanted me to wait a reasonable time frame to see if adjusting the temperature would resolve the lower freezer issue. He said give it 30 days and if it is still having issues then call again.. Ok so I did as he told me and you are now charging me $75 for the same issue.. PS in between this time my brother passed away so my main focus was taking care of family first.. Let me know how your going to reimburse me my $75 Thanks

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Philip, In the interest of customer service, First American provided you with a $75.00 service call fee reimbursement. Thank you.

Jan. 9th, 2020

Unhappy customer Fresno, CA

My refrigerator and wash machine went out on Thanksgiving Eve it’s now December 19th and both items are not fixed. Unfortunately repair company was horrible and communication was lacking between First American and A and R repair. I ending up having to buy new refrigerator because unfortunately company couldn’t find a compressor sooner enough or couldn’t give me a date the compressor was to arrive. No one new anything about my wash machine and because I bought from someone who fixed it wrong they will not cover repair or replace. I’ve been a member for over 4year and they will now cover me when I really need them. Disappointed in our relationship.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Ms. Madel, We have attempted to contact you several times regarding your kitchen refrigerator claim but have been unsuccessful in reaching you. Please contact First American at your earliest convenience in order to discuss your concerns. Thank you.

Feb. 14th, 2020

Teofilo Casiano McClure, OH

This is by far the most dishonest company. I put a claim in. They had a company come out and lie so they didn't have to cover it. Said it was missing parts. How is that possible if it just worked? This company is a complete scam. Save yourself and do not go with this company........ update after a bunch of calls and complaining i reached the ears of the higher ups. And they fixed everything. I would of gave them 5 stars if i didn't have to fight for what should have just happened. But in the end i dont have any complaints. I am happy with the out come.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

We appreciate your feedback and look forward to being able to address your concerns directly with you.

Nov. 6th, 2019

Mike Eide Henderson, NV

My first problem after signing up for their premium coverage. All went well on the first visit by a service technician. There was a part required to fix the problem. A month goes by and the problem comes back. We call the service company to find out where the part is and find out the claim has been denied. When we call FAHW they lie and tell me they left a voice mail after the service. We have no calls from them and no voice mail. We request a technician to be dispatched to fix the problem, even if we have to pay for the repairs. They indicate that once service has been denied they no longer have responsibility and we will have to find our own technician. They also charge an additional $75 fee that we had to call back to get reversed.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Mike, Our records indicate you placed a claim for your kitchen refrigerator not working properly. All Desert Appliances Incorporated reported the thermal shell was deteriorated so the unit was not maintaining temperatures. Please be advised, thermal shells are not covered per your home warranty contract under Kitchen Refrigerator, Not Covered. At this time, your claim is considered closed. Thank you.

Nov. 9th, 2019

Chris North Richland Hills, TX

Not sure why I’m giving them 2 instead of 1 but their phone system is horrible. Every time I have a question I get put on hold for an hour and then get transferred to four different people before hanging up the phone in frustration. Current home I just purchased has a keypad lock on it that is old and doesn’t work. Called to get it changed into an actual key door lock which I wouldn’t think would be such a big problem but they refuse to change the lock only fix the crappy one that’s on it. They literally haven’t helped me in any instance I’ve ever had. Oh and for being AMERICAN home warranty nobody there can speak fluid English and there’s always a language barrier.

Melissa Bradley Huntington Beach, CA

First they are getting 2 stars because they actually do communicate with me in a timely manner. However, their customer service sucks and the contractors they send out are incompetent. First about 4 months ago, I submitted a claim online that my dryer was having issues making extremely loud squealing noise. I was charged the $75 service fee. They sent a very nice man out to fix it. I thought it was all fixed. Then last month it starts doing the exact same thing. And my washer happened to die on me at the same time. Put in claim number 2. THis time the company they send out is here MAYBE 10 minutes (in that time he always used my restroom) didn't even look at the dryer or turn it on, tells me my whole front panel on the washer needs to be replaced and I will be charged extra for it being a stackable. WHAT??? I call First American, was told nothing would be extra as the $75 covers everything. a few days go by, the contractor does not return any of my calls. First American calls me and states they are ordering the parts for my washer, but the dryer is not covered. They claim "noise" is not an issue. WHAT????? Both time I explained the issue I was having and they had no problem charging me both times for the $75 service charge knowing they wouldn't cover "noise"? Mind you the dryer is not usable due to how extremely loud it is. Now they call me and tell me the contractor needs me to move the dryer from the washer (they are stackable) before they will schedule to come. Now I have to do part of their job for them? I'm a woman by myself and have to figure out how to get the dryer down before they come out? THey wouldn't even call me they will only talk to First American yet I am the one they need to schedule when they will come out. First American has not been a help whatsoever with this. THey use very unprofessional contractors, and they things at you last minute like this. Be very cautious of them.

Nathan H. Louisville, KY

**READ THE CONTRACT** I have had FAHW for 3 years. I've had a claim each of the years. First year was just the dryer(minor issue). Customer service = good Year two was the dishwasher, which was replaced. A quick note about this claim. ********************************************* ***Do not just accept the offer to replace*** ********************************************* You need to research the replacement item before accepting. FAHW tried to sneek by with replacing my dishwasher with one that was half the capacity and efficiency. I refused, and they gave me another offer 2 days later which after researching I accepted. My HVAC was also having issues which took them 2 weeks to fix. Customer service = OK On this third year, my HVAC broke down again. This time it needed to be replaced. It took a week and a half to diagnose the problem and as I am writing this it is still broken. My HVAC has been out for more than a month. During this whole process I have been calling and emailing with both FAHW and the contractor they selected. It took me a whole week to squeeze the info out of FAHW about the replacement equipment. Once the equipment was ordered, they told me 2-3 days. In actuallity it has taken 2 weeks. If you use FAHW always get info in writing. I had them send me emails with the info. I've finally gotten a scheduled installation date after 2 months. The problem has always been with the warranty company, never the contractor. Customer service = Bad A quick note about the customer service. Everytime I called, they would never have the info I needed. They would have to call around in their own company to get info from others. The last time I called, they had info, but it was outdated info from when I called 2 weeks ago and they just "assumed" is was right.

CARLOTTA MANEICE Meridianville, AL

We renewed our second year with First American Warrant and the service this time has been horrible. We have had a problem with our Washing Machine and the GE vendor contracted by 1st American dialed the wrong number to schedule an appointment, ordered parts for the washing machine that was not needed and left at our home. The final straw was throughout this entire process the 1st American Home Warranty Customer Service Representatives processes in getting a report from the GE Vendor, answering questions about the delay in repair, and/or replacement was insufficient and at times they were downright rude! Their answer to our situation was consistently the following, "we are waiting for a report", "they have 48 business hours to comply, " a supervisor will tell you the same thing," and "there is nothing we can do at this time." I put in a request to cancel my service and find another home warranty company.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Carlotta. We are aware that cash payment in lieu of the replacement of our clothes washer has been accepted. Please allow seven to ten business days for the processing and delivery of your check. Thank you.

Jun. 6th, 2019

Fran Charleston, WV

My daughter had coverage with First American Home Warranty but cancelled, thank goodness. I live with her and I paid the $95.00 deductible each time for more than 5 or 6 calls for the refrigerator. Ice maker would not work about 3 days after the repairman left. And he even told me once it needed to be cashed out. We have used ice trays for a year now & I am sick of it. FMHW WON!!!! With the $95.00 I have put out, we could have bought a frig. In the freezer right now, the ice cream is half soft. I had to throw out all the food in the other side once until they got a repairman. All I can say to others "Good Luck".

Tasha Denison, TX

Professional customer service reps. Phone calls and questions get answered quickly by real people. Quick response time by professional services. Transactions are easy. Have been pleased with their work.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Tasha. We appreciate your feedback. Thank you.

Anna Mount Washington, KY

Easy to request service; however, some of the providers were terrible. Heating & Air guy didn't complete the job and didn't want to work when he got here. Electrician came, looked at the job, had to get parts, never returned or returned our calls. I would like a way to get a partial refund for having to get our own person to come to the house.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you Anna for your review.

Beverly Arnold Lubbock, TX

We have used this service for 13 years, and I highly recommend .We have only had two bad experiences, and that was due to employees of the contractor(s), and they righted the situation.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you Beverly for your review!

May. 14th, 2019

Eric Stockton, CA

Within the first 2 months of having American home warranty my water heater went out and just a phone call away someone was there the next day to check and replace as needed thx American home warranty

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you Eric for your feedback.

May. 10th, 2019

David chappell New Port Richey, FL

Over all every excellent service with the exception of one representative we spoke to. Very quick turn around on getting our appliance taken care of and following through with each step in the process.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you David for your review. We appreciate it.

Mar. 26th, 2019

Ramona Duenez Ogden, UT

We've had this company for 3 years. Our first experience with them was amazing. However, we opened a classroom on Sunday due to the water backing up and flooding the basement. We are unable to take showers, use the toilet or anything else that drains water into the main line. It is now Monday and still nothing. We called to ask about the progress of our claim and seven someone would be out. They notified my husband that it could still be another 2 to 3 days before someone comes out. We are ready to cancel and just call a plumber out.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Ramona, We would like to apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during the handling of your claim. Please be advised, we attempted to contact you several times in order to discuss your claim but have been unsuccessful in reaching you. Please contact First American at your earliest convenience to further discuss your claim. Thank you.

Apr. 17th, 2019

Jeff Taylor Conway, AR

We been covered by FAHW for going into our third year. We have had a service call each year. Some of their techs have been very prompt. Our recent experience with Sears Service was not prompt. Little communication about when the service or completion would happen. The actual service was fine

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello Jeff. We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Thank you for choosing First American.

Mar. 8th, 2019

Patti McWherter-Belew Bakersfield, CA

Very quick to help and get my problems solved

Thank you Patti!

Lucille B Chacon San Jose, CA

Friendly and efficient. They are always accommodating.

Thank you Lucille.

John Wilson Ironton, OH

Service took to long. I had to take 5 separate days off work even after I was told it would be replaced and the appliance isn't working 100%

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hello John. Thank you for your review. We have requested additional information from you.

Mary H Oklahoma City, OK

Great service providers are sent out in a timely matter.

Thank you Mary!

Michael E Darling La Palma, CA

Flawless service. Easy to process claims.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thank you for your feedback Michael.

Joshua Johnson Greer, SC

Fast scheduling with First American home warranty.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Hi Joshua. Thank you for your feedback. Have a great day.

Gary Grange Golden, CO

Knowledgable techs and good communication.

Reply from First American Home Warranty

Thanks Gary for your feedback.