Best Company badge 10,000 Reviews American Home Shield Logo

American Home Shield

8.8

Charles Mills Pinehurst, NC

We have been members for years but increasingly it is difficult to talk to a real person. Case in point, Last week we wanted to get a quote and purchase from AHS a Heat Pump. We waited over 15 minutes on two different occasions and finally gave up. AHS provides a quality product but what good is it if you have to put up with all this in order to use it? AHS spend some more money and improve your customer service

Michael Massey Humboldt, TN

Service provider was thorough and efficient in handling our Central Unit issues. We eventuality ended up with a new downstairs Central Unit as a result of his diagnosis of the issues. Very satisfied with this service provider.

Richard Yoshifuji Pittsburg, CA

Very prompt service once I got through the initial phone call to request service.on hold twenty plus minutes.After I did get through it took very little time to request service needed.I did have the option to request service on line but Im not very proficient using the computer plus I had questions to ask if a live person.

Donna Round Rock, TX

I have waited on the phone for over 1 hour more than once. I have been disconnected also. It is extremely hard to actually speak to someone. When I have called regarding AC or anything electrical, the same men come out but as a different company! They do not fix anything but tell me that the problem is something else. When I call another repair service to come out, they fix the original problem and tell me I was misled by AHS. I end up paying the AHS fee and the fee for a company that actually does the repair.

Pamela Cady Pasco, WA

I did not purchase my home warranty from AHS, the seller of the house I bought purchased the home warranty. I contacted them in mid-November as I was having problems with my dryer and my oven. When I called originally I was told via recorded message that my hold time would be well over an hour so I went online and completed their service request. I was then sent email that Vinh's Heating, Cooling and Appliance would be contacting me with 24 business hours to set up appointment. I looked at the reviews for this company and he has horrible reviews so I tried contacting them via messenger on FB to get someone else and didn't get a response. Vinh's came on the 16th to look at the appliances. He was able to fix my dryer but didn't even really look at my oven. He told me he didn't know what was wrong but ordered a part. I then contacted American Home Shield to let them know what was going on via messenger and still no response. Vinh's came back and installed the part, pushed a few buttons and left, telling me oven worked. After he left I turned on my oven and it didn't work. I called American Home Shield immediately, got recorded message stating my hold time would be over 30 minutes. I was on hold for 20 minutes and told the representative what was going on. He made several comments that led me to believe that they have had complaints about Vinh's by other customers. He stated he wanted to give Vinh's another chance and that Vinh's would be contacting me the next morning (that was on 11/27) but I still haven't heard anything from either company. I tried calling American Home Shield on 11/29/17. I was put on hold by their phone system but and waited for almost 30 minutes with no music, no recorded messages, nothing and no one answered. I have sent several messages on messenger with no response. I attempted to bake some cookies last night; the first dozen baked fine but put the second dozen in and they never did cook, so clearly my oven still doesn't work and I am getting no where with American Home Shield - their customer service and follow up sucks. I have gotten a couple generic emails stating my service request is complete and to rate my experience but no response to my messages.

Harson Julien Jonesboro, GA

There was some time between the initial diagnostic and the actual repair. As a result, the items in my refrigerator spoiled and had to be thrown out. It was difficult for me because I have children and elderly parents in my household. But the repairs were ultimately completed and seems to be in working order.

Susan Wake Forest, NC

Have used American Home Shield on two houses and in both locations, they are responsive in a timely manner and have someone to repair the item(s) that needed attention. Friendly and competent phone personnel.

Lisa Hadley Katy, TX

On a plane. Daughter calls. There’s a leak coming from the ceiling. Called AHS. Problem fixed. Same day. The technician they sent (Miguel from SWG) was just amazing! The best!

Beverly Parhm DeSoto, TX

We tried calling to give our input first hand, but we were on hold for over an hour so we hung up. Now are resulting to typing the response and we are not happy. Not with this recent service call but with at least two service calls this year. The bath tub kitchen leak challenges took over 5 visit and two different contractors to solve. The first contract was blaming some of the problem on me the homeowner. The second contractor vindicated me. I WAS NOT HAPPY WITH THE KITCHEN SINK FAUCET REPLACEMENT. THE ONE THAT WAS REMOVED HAD A HOOKED NECK THAT ALLOWS BIGGER POTS UNDER THE FAUCET. THE ONE HE REPLACE IT WITH IS A STRAIGHT NECK. THIS IS NOT A FFF FORM, FIT, and FUNCTIONAL REPLACEMENT. I am just not happy. On the hot water heater, you do not have enough hard drive space to hold my comments. Basically, the first contractor was trying to steal $1300-1500 with bad analysis. When the hot water heater could be repair the FIRST contractor said you cannot not get parts for my hot water heater because it was very old. WELL, the problem is, I am a technologist. I did a simple internet search only to find not only are parts available for my hot water heater, I FOUND THEM AT LOWE'S. YES YOU HEARD ME CORRECTLY, LOWE'S. I bought the part to have the part ready for the second contractor to install. Come to find out the part that I bought was 2 inches too long. LOWE'S had the shorter one. I took the part back because the second contract said he would supply all the right parts. What that means is if LOWE'S has the parts, THE PARTS CAN BE EASILY FOUND. LOWE'S would be the last place to find the part if the parts were not available because my hot water heater was too old. Let me sum this up by saying when I was going to be out of $75 + $1500 plus 2-3 weeks time without hot water around the holidays, frustration sets in. I have been paying for this service a long time where the rater is EVER INCREASING. Only to know NOW when the rate is at an all time high, that I would have these frustrations.

Patricia Bristow Suffolk, VA

Heating company was at my house in 2 hours after I reported my problem. Fixed and I am completely satisfied. I have always been happy with all my services with American Home Shield. Thanks for my peace of mind!!!!

Susan Kemp, TX

we have had several issues with an older home that we just bought. This warranty has saved us thousands in repairs from plumbing problems. Absolutely will never buy again without purchasing the same warranty from AHS!

Anthony Barrett Winter Park, FL

The service that was provided with the refrigerator was great however experience I had with the busted water line under the slab was a living nightmare they did not repair they did not pay for anything to be repaired that paid to have the hole dug in my floor which was left uncovered holes in my wall left on complete and was all left up to me to take care of

James Collins Gadsden, AL

We have had AHS protection for over 14 years and have been very satisfied by their service. It is easy to submit a claim online, and they respond within 24 hours with help on the way. I highly recommend this company.

Amy Yeatman Vincentown, NJ

Purchased my warranty when we bought our property and have used it twice. Both times, contractors sent were friendly, easy to work with and did their work well. Online work order system is easy to use, but getting to an agent and hold times leave much to be desired.

Ryan Stevens Rutherfordton, NC

Had well pump die and within the next day it was being replaced. Without water for 1 day. Very Impressed with this company. Would recommend it to everyone who’s a home owner.

Misty Madsen Virginia Beach, VA

It is hit or miss with AHS and the contractors they supply. I have had AHS for multiple properties and had to utilize them for multiple types of issues. The customer service has gone down over the years. I will say that it is an affordable option for a home warranty. Some of the contractors are great and some are not. We have had mixed experiences with the contractors dispatched for our issues. Some are straight up shady and do questionable repairs. Most of the service is just band-aiding the problems and not truly fixing them.

Gideon Kwarteng Leesburg, VA

The program works but contractors can cause you headache and make it seem like the program doesn't work. Take a video of everything the contractor does at your house because they can lie to AHS and consequently cause your claim to be denied by AHS. Having a video evidence can be priceless in such situations. This is from my one claim experience after being a customer for about a year. I still have my membership because it's worthed. Just be vigilant with the lying contractors.

Robert Harris Niles, MI

American Home Shield is an excellent corporation as a whole. Our home was built in the 1940’s so we are used to some things not working. The home was already under the AHS umbrella so we just kept it current.

Toomas Mitt Milwaukee, WI

Every serviceman that is sent for repairs has been friendly, knowledgeable and efficient. They each assessed the problem. knew what needed to be done, and did it quickly and without any fuss.

D Wilson Augusta, GA

When I call customer service, I expect to be on hold for 30-60 minutes before you speak with a representative. My shortest call with American Home Shield has been 35 minutes and my longest 124 minutes. The online system works when everything runs smoothly but some of their contractors are very very poor. I have had luck about 3/5 contactors in the past 5 months. One contractor never fixed the issue which resulted in a 2-hour phone call to get another contractor (This contractor also was impossible to reach by phone or email – their voicemail actually said to not leave a message.) Another contractor didn't fix the issue properly which resulted in me having to pay for another outside contractor out of pocket because AHS didn't document something correctly - And AHS told me they would call me back, but when I called back for an update there was no record. The online system is convenient but you have no control over the contractor they assign (2 out of 5 contractors have been terrible). I could block bad contractors in the future, but that does require a phone call. *sigh* When you use the online system and you check the wrong category they make you pay for the repair at another time. For example, you can do Heat and Ductwork, but not HVAC and Ductwork. That will require a phone call. After one phone call to AHS place service, I was charged two service fees by mistake. It took over an hour on the phone to clear up, but I am still receiving past due emails and letters. The company said it could take two weeks to resolve but I could also be in contractual violation due to be mistaking "past due." Looks like I’m going to be calling them soon. In theory AHS has a great service. But in practice their customer service is extremely difficult to reach and terrible at resolving things in a timely fashion. I have had a mixed bag of experience with AHS. And I cannot recommend.

Stuart J Vosler Dublin, OH

They changed recently to requiring payment before dispatching work order. I provided a credit number for copay of $75 which was accepted and work was done to my satisfaction. Now I am getting dunned by AHS for non-payment if my copay, which if I hadn't paid they never would have given work order for service. Very frustrating to get dun emails currently, make them stop!!!

Nicole knudsen

If you have to call AHS for any reason you will wait a minimum of one hour to speak to a customer service rep. I had a claim and AHS sent a company out to fix my oven. I paid the service company the service fee with a check and the check was cashed. It has now been over 6 months and I am still getting notices that the payment is overdue. I have called 6 times and waited each time for over an hour to speak to a rep to get it resolved. Twice I conferenced in the service company and they confirmed with the customer service rep that they had received the check and cashed it. Each time I called I was told that the problem would be fixed by the end of day yet my account still shows an outstanding balance. I even spoke to a manager on several occasions and she assured me the problem would be fixed. Completely unacceptable

John Croft Front Royal, VA

Called several times, most times took awhile before speaking with customer service. I chose to have work done by a different repair company, was a bit disappointed the allowance was $300 less and I submitted my receipt over 3 weeks ago and still have not received reimbursement

Salman Halim Voorhees Township, NJ

The experience was quite good. The repair company contacted me very quickly and their repairman showed at when they said they would. He diagnosed the problem and checked other systems to make sure that it was only that one thing that needed to be fixed. Everything has been working just fine since.

Jess Conroe, TX

Gentleman who helped us was very knowledgeable and professional. He made sure our a/c unit was fixed properly and didn't try to push a new unit on us like other companies have in the past. Highly recommend

Lisa Gamez Cedar Park, TX

I wasn’t happy with the way my dishwasher repair/replacement was handled. The appliance could not be repaired so AHS opted to replace my dishwasher which was fine but it wasn’t installed correctly. To this day, we still have issues with it being loose and unstable because they simply dropped the replacement off and shoved it in the cabinet. My thought is that it should be replaced CORRECTLY to correct the home owners issue. Now I have a hole new set of problems with the loose dishwasher. Not happy overall and have warned friends against purchasing a warranty from AHS.

BROOK Bakersfield, CA

With my appliances I've always had good customer service with LA Appliance. American Home Shield is very informative to when the company will be out and the company does let you know when they will be at your house.

Carl Ashe Brea, CA

We had a professional technician arrive and explain his process. He found the problem, explained the repair process, completed the process, and cleaned up the area afterwards. We are very pleased.

Bill Tacoma, WA

I was not sure what to experience with a home-warranty service. Shortly after I moved into my new home, I had two immediate issues that needed to be addressed. Both issues required multiple technicians to be called out, because the first person sent by American Home Shield was unable to do the job properly. This was frustrating and time-consuming. The quality of customer service was extremely disappointing. AHS seems to go out of their way to make it difficult to work with their customer service team, as I made multiple calls (while waiting on hold for about and hour each time) trying to get these two projects properly resolved. Ultimately, I do not see myself renewing my home warranty because the money saved by having a warranty simply is not worth the hassle of dealing with such a miserable customer service experience. This company seems more interested in finding new customers than keeping it's current ones.

ROSE CASILLAS Fresno, CA

EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE! CORY CAME OUT AND ADDRESSED THE ISSUE RIGHT AWAY. WAS VERY THOROUGH WITH WHAT HIS REVIEW WAS ON MY AC UNIT. IT WAS GREAT NEWS, IT DID NOT NEED MAJOR SERVICING ON IT!!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Sue Phoenix, AZ

We used the whole house warranty for our microwave convect oven and was quite pleased with the service. The repair man showed up on time and made the repair and our microwave is working again.

Al Bell Jefferson, GA

Customer service is excellent once you finally get off hold which generally takes up to 30 minutes. AHS really need to shorten your wait times. Also, the last claim the repairman said I would be notified by email and/or phone on the status of my replacement dishwasher. I was not notified and eventually had to call AHS to get the ball rolling on the replacement.

James E Gordon Jr Woodbridge, VA

We've been using American Home Shield for approximately 4 years now. During that 4 year time period we've had many household items repaired/serviced to our amazment and satisfaction.

Alfredo Martinez Puyallup, WA

I appreciated the work that was done on my appliances and when 1 had to be replaced the people were easy to talk to and explained thoroughly what I had to do. I feel they did a great job from the time I called to when the work was completed.

Jennifer bassett

Our AC stopped working. Middle of the summer in Las Vegas. It was fixed within 4 days. We have two units. The AHS team was great and the vendor they assigned to handle the job.

Parker Portland, OR

I am so thankful that I have had Home Shield for three years! The first year I had to have my wash machine, dish washer, and refrigerator all repaired! As a first time home buyer this has really given me piece of mind! The customer service, the repairs, and the affordability have been great. I am thankful to have American Home Shield on my side!

Beatriz Trevino

The first call to American Home Shield for my ac was sent to a company that couldn’t see me for 4 days when I needed it ASAP high heat indexes in TX so I called again the following day set me up with an agent that saw us within an hour very happy all the way around

Courtney Grill

Our dishwasher went out, the first company we worked with was extremely rude and was unwilling to work with our schedule. We called in and spoke with an AHS representative who was unkind but offered to return our fee. She didn't make notes and we had to call in and wait on hold over 10 times for hours and hours. Several managers spoken to and promised to call us back, promised to pull the call and help us get the situation sorted out, but no one ever returned our calls. This was such a hassle and went unresolved for two months. I cringe at the thought of having to use them again. The representatives were awfully rude, and the hold times were astronomical.

Audrey Hampton, VA

The repairman was extremely courteous and explained everything that he was checking and what needed to be done. He returned to install the part and again the service was incredible

Jessica Yung Saint Charles, IL

Our year home warranty with American Home Systems was adequate. The service time was extremely fast and the contractors were qualified, polite, and helpful. The $75 trip charge was slightly below normal rates. We were pleased with the speed of service. When one particular problem persisted for 2 months, the technician was repeatedly sent back to try to remedy the situation without additional charge. We were disappointed that multiple plumbing repairs yielded 3 contractors, each costing $75, instead of one plumber who could have fixed all 3 issues with one trip charge. In addition, we were very disappointed to learn that AHS does not replace freon at it's market value when our A/C needed a repair requiring the draining of freon and replacing it. They also would not pay the full cost of the labor associated with the repair because the technician had to work around other mechanicals to fix the A/C which would take longer. In the end, AHS would only cover 40% of the repair. We have decided not to renew the warranty. Based upon high cost of the premium, the insufficient replacement value, and the inefficiency of contractors used, it cost more to use AHS than to have it in place.

Fchopkins Hampton, VA

HELP...it has been over 10 days and AHS can not get my water Heater replaced. I need a representative to contact me ASAP!

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Fchopkins, I hate to hear about the delay in service that has been experienced. I would e glad to speak with you to reach a possible resolution for the water heater.

Nov. 22nd, 2021

Robert Matthews Richmond, VA

Very Good. Competent professionals. Very reliable.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Robert. Thank you for your positive feedback. We are so happy tohear that you have been pleased with the service you are receiving. We want you to know AHS is here for you when you need us.

Edna Roos Henderson, NV

Appreciate the emails for preventive maintenance.

Ann Johnston Columbus, OH

Good quick service , love online service

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Ann, Your feedback is more than appreciated and we hope you continue to enjoy AHS and the service we provide!

Monique Gorham Edgewood, MD

Good Services, informative, trustworthy, polite

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Monique, It is always a pleasure to hear from our customer. We hope you continue to enjoy AHS and the service we provide!

Gabe Dobkin Georgetown, TX

Horribly frustrating and borderline scam level criminality with very little focus on customer service.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Gabe, I hate to hear about your most recent AHS experience and the account activity that has occurred. I would be glad to speak with you to reach a resolution.

Stephanie Ashley Florence, SC

The technician was thorough and professional.

Karen Susan Jung Hartland, WI

Service person was prompt, professional and efficient

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Karen, Thank you for providing us with feedback about your AHS experience. We strive to provide you with prompt and professional service. We hope you continue to enjoy the coverage we provide!

Sep. 21st, 2021

Mary Lee Dallas, TX

I got a understanding of all my questions

Luisa San Marcos, CA

Very disappointed about my washer. They didn’t fix it and did pay for another one.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Luisa, I hate to hear about the washer machine repairs that were not completed through AHS. I would be glad to speak with you to discuss the out-of-pocket expense.

Sep. 22nd, 2021