Best Company badge 10,000 Reviews American Home Shield Logo

American Home Shield

8.4

Palmira Pacheco San Antonio, TX

The only time that we did get good service was with the air condition Service companies. We have had Home Shield since we build our home and we did have any problems until our unit went out and a coil was to be replaced. But what really happened was that all the inside unit was replace, but we were not told and it was a Pane, Not a Trane. All the wires were cut and it took several times to call before an experienced person came and got the unit to work. When the unit went out again, we were told what was wrong, but our maintaintence company had come the day before, we call them Back and they found an other problem. We had them fix it and it worked well again. When it was time to purchase a new unit, we did nit call Home Shield, we had our Maintence Co. do the work.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Pamira, Thank you for providing us with insight on your experience to have the air conditioner repaired.

Jun. 7th, 2020

Dominique Maddux-Jackson

I think the service was great and they were really quick and helpful. The only downside was I have a tankless water heater. The first company that was dispatched to help, does not work on tankless water heaters. So, I then had to wait until a second company was able to come out, so us not being able to stay in our home was extended by a day or two. I think that if having a tankless water heater makes a difference, customer service reps should ask that before determining what company to reach out to for the client. That way everyone is saved some time. The customers, like myself, may not know that this make a difference and that not everyone works on tankless water hearters. Otherwise, everything was great and every one was super friendly and helpful!

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Dominique, We are thrilled to have you as part of the AHS family! Thank you for sharing your kind words with us. It means the world to us and to our entire team! We look forward to serving you again soon!

Mar. 23rd, 2020

john k smith Troy, VA

hard to get in touch with first contractor. had to get second opinion . the second contractor was great.

Don Carson Bowling Green, KY

Response was prompt and the electrician that came was professional and acted with urgency to get issue resolved.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Don, thank you so much for taking the time to provide feedback. We are so delighted that you rate our service as 5 star as we strive to provide just that for all our customers. We Look forward to servicing you again soon. Best Wishes.

cande breaux Lubbock, TX

In the last month, I've used AHS twice. The experience was different. Consistency would be a plus.

Michael Dupree Loganville, GA

Requesting assistance is easy. The contractors provided are qualified to make the necessary repairs.

Dominic Pittsburgh, PA

Good customer service. Premium is quite high though considering the fact that I only file 1 to 2 claims per year.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Dominic, I hate to hear about your most recent AHS service experience and the issue to have the repairs completed.

Jul. 17th, 2021

Jose Rodriguez Killeen, TX

Fast service . The vendors that are asigne are very friendly and know how to fix the needs of the residente.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Jose, Thank you for taking the time to provide a rating, your opinion is valued greatly and it helps us maintain an excellent standard of service to our customers.

Deanna Hoffmann Galena, OH

At first easy to work with, last couple of year difficult customer service, hoping things are working out for them

Brosius Dallas, TX

Automated phone line is poor. That and online have removed the option for recall when repair hasn't worked.

Brian Jerman Colorado Springs, CO

While the HAS system retrieved my money before services were rendered, they did provide a full refund.

Angela Laurel, MD

Prompt service when I called. Serviceman was able to fix both issues in two visits. He had to get a part.

Carter Dacula, GA

Favorable experience and the issue was resolved without having to check on the issue that was occurring in my house

Stephen Loski San Angelo, TX

Their service is good but if parts are required you have to wait, which is miserable when your AC is broken in summer

Jeanette Hazelwood Moreno Valley, CA

They send out the service people, but there is no follow up when there's lapse in time for next visit

Frederic W Mcclure Lake Wales, FL

They are good, but not that good. Particularly involving AC issues where you can be without AC for weeks at a time.

Dean Kellum Hawkins, TX

Have used AHS for the last two years and have been pleased with their fast service and super online experience

Melanie Terry Upper Marlboro, MD

They send quality vendors to fix our appliances. The timeliness of the HVAC scheduling could be improved.

Patrick McLean Redding, CA

Very good customer service however they don't cover enough for refrigerant. Sr22 is 120 per pound and you only cover 10.00. Not cool.

Tiffany Edwards Florissant, MO

It has saved me a lot of money on repairs especially as a new home owner. I appreciate that it takes a lot of stress off of myself.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Tiffany, Your feedback in regard to your American Home Shield experience is more than appreciated. I hope you continue to enjoy the coverage and service we provide.

Jun. 24th, 2021

Mark Atlanta, GA

Over the years had some problems with my AC unit. It seemed like the would only bandage the problem then suggest the larger problem was not covered.

J D Higginsville, MO

Had trouble with them sending a local tech at first but after a couple of no show contractors they got one locally who came right over

Constance Ciolino Cincinnati, OH

I believe the one time fee is somewhat high whenever there is a service call. I believe it should be based on what they actually need to do.

Richard Nelson Anderson, SC

trying tto get our hot water heater fixed but still haven't heard how progress is going on decisions as to the next step so still have problem

Angela Dixon Houston, TX

Because the contract and the vendor's cost with limitations were not explained in a way that I could understand the process.

Darryl Holloway Tucson, AZ

They're good but not great. Customer service is terrible. But once you get connected with your respective contractors its a lot better

Bruce Maynard Cedar Rapids, IA

Responses tend to be quick, and when there is some question as to disposition of a problem, they seem to side with the customer (me), usually.

Shrirang Joshi Hamel, MN

Pretty quick and prompt response. Could have given 5 stars if they would not have increased my premium in view of no claims in past year.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Shirang, Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated. Our main objective is to provide exceptional service and a quick resolution to all of your home warranty needs.

Dorothy Lubbock, TX

Everything went really well with our claims the only problem was that I couldn't get on line and was just told to set up another account.

Sara Griffin Missouri City, TX

More cost should be covered for installation of new equipment.and the cost of Freon I had to still pay 1400 out of my pocket

Diane Bakersfield, CA

The only reason I marked them down was that it took a week to get an appointment for a non functional fridge. I do understand that it couldn’t be helped though

Larry Hardin Monroe, NC

They have saved me a lot of money over the last 10+ years, but sometimes they are a little slow getting someone here and the problem solved. They last issue was very quick.

Jimmy Dowdle Fort Worth, TX

This would be a 5 if AHS would allow clients the option of using their own contractors to provide the needed service and the cost for this protection is getting very high.

James Edgewood, MD

Extremely quick with assigning vendor to address issues. Everyone we've worked with (electrician, plumber etc) scheduled repair visit quickly and were very knowledgeable.

Walter Kuver Pahrump, NV

Service delays to a rural town are frustrating - but eventually done well. Also, cost increases are troubling making one almost root for an appliance failure to break even!

Anonymous Hickory Hills, IL

The lady of customer service is very hard to understand they are from another country easier to pull a tooth than understanding her the rest is very good

Tammie Douglas Stafford, VA

It took a over a month. Overall excellent, I've been a customer for some time, and I was dissatisfied 2 years with my A/C, but still satisfied with the service.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Tammie, Thank you for taking the time to provide a rating, your opinion is valued greatly and it helps us maintain excellent standard of service to our customers.

May. 24th, 2021

Norma Ruelas San Antonio, TX

Most of the time they have helped me, but this last time, I requested a water softener service and the person who attended did not know that they no longer had that service.

Lance Davis, IL

They generally do a good job, but sometimes it's hard to get a hold of a real human when the problem falls outside of the realm of the computer generated person.

Christina Davison Abingdon, MD

I love the security of being covered but it took a while to get a refund for service not rendered. Took more than 2 weeks which in my opinion is too long.

Helen Huntley Humble, TX

Home shield can be some what confusing. Why do I have to pay for service and send a receipt before getting paid? Why are the coverage not up to date with cost?

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Helen, Thankyou for sharing feedback about your most recent AHS service experience. I hate to hear about the cost and coverage with AHS.

Apr. 19th, 2021

R Norman, OK

I've had to pay 2x for the same job, but that said, they have been very helpful and when my heater went out during a cold spell I had same day service

Reply from American Home Shield

We are happy that we were able to get the issue resolved for you. Thank you for sharing your recent experiences with us and please don't hesitate to reach out if you need us in the future. Enjoy your day.

Apr. 1st, 2021

Judith Davis Arlington, TX

They have always replaced my product, but for my refrigerator I waited for response and reply for a number of months. I called a number of times. It was very discouraging

Reply from American Home Shield

Thanks for your loyalty. Taking care of our members is the main goal here at AHS. We are working diligently to improve the overall member experience and we look forward to our continued business together. Have a great day.

Apr. 2nd, 2021

Wayne Florence, MS

As a policy holder, it shouldn't be my responsibility to reached out to the repair company assigned to my case to schedule an appointment. They should call the policy holder to make arrangements.

Mar. 29th, 2021

Ruby LeBlanc San Francisco, CA

When there is a problem customer cannot talk to someone in department whose responsible for work being performed so becomes very challenging sometimes to get work done. Have to go through too many people.

Reply from American Home Shield

We apologize for any challenges you faced while getting your repair completed. Thanks for your patience.

Apr. 5th, 2021

Florence Garland Fort Walton Beach, FL

They have always responded quickly. Great coverage. Wished they covered items outside the home like outdoor lights, hot tubs and pools. Sometimes contracted service providers are not from this immediate area.

Reply from American Home Shield

Our main objective is to provide exceptional service and a quick resolution to all of your home warranty needs. Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated. We look forward to servicing you in the future as needed. Take Care.

Mar. 19th, 2021

Gregory Ross Winston-Salem, NC

Good response time but inconsistent communication regarding services needed. Still charged for visit when no repair completed when service technician did not have parts needed

Anonymous Fort Smith, AR

Some normal home appliances are not covered by the service. Like a Freezer. I can not eat canned foods so I have to have a freezer but it is not covered under the service contact.

William Baca Solomons, MD

While American Home Shield has done very well and covered my issues. I was surprised to learn that while they cover a garage door opener, they do not cover garage door springs.

Lauren Gibson Canton, GA

I have had great service with them for roofing, and plumbing but I was unhappy with dealing with drywall repair after plumbing work. I am having to find my own contractor and pay upfront and wait to get reimbursed.