Best Company badge 10,000 Reviews American Home Shield Logo

American Home Shield

8.4

Shiva Kazemi Mission Viejo, CA

American Home Shield does not keep promises it make. They are supposed to replace appliances but they made an offer that they pay $500 and I pay 850 for my water heater.The companies AHS has contract with are really bad in different aspects.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Shiva, I would be glad to speak with you about your most recent service experience and the denial cost.

Joanne Peck Watertown, WI

First exposure, several calls were unanswered. When I finally got through, it was the height of summer and our air conditioner went out. I was told they could have someone come out in three weeks. The second call was about our furnace leaking water. It took them a few days to find someone in our area, but he did do a good job.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Joanne, I hate to hear about the difficulty experienced to have the furnace repair completed. I would be glad to speak with you.

Joanne Talbot Coatesville, PA

I rated them a two star, because my refrigerator broke down and it will be a month May 5 and it is still not fixed. I am not sure if its American Home Shield or the company they hired to fix the problem. A month is to long to wait for the problem to be fixed.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Joanne, Thank you for bringing the refrigerator issues to our attention. I would be glad to speak with you to get he issues resolved.

May. 12th, 2021

Maria Melero Modesto, CA

I'm very unhapy, there is no way I can talk with a manager about I did not receive the 5 contracts, i purchased,, I need them for the income tax purpose, I called many times, no body can help me. Can a manager give me a phone call, I need to resolve this problem. Thanks Maria Melero

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Maria, Thank you for bringing your most recent experience to our attention. I owuld be glad to speak with you to reach a resolution for the issues that have occurred.

Apr. 27th, 2021

Mark Edmond, OK

Unless you use their website to book appointments American Home Shield is extremely hard to contact. And, the customer service personnel speak very poor English and are very hard to understand if you don't have excellent hearing. Last year it took them over 4 months to get my pool pump repaired.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Mark, I hate to hear about your most recent experience.

Apr. 26th, 2021

Carol Nokomis, FL

We were disappointed. We just moved and got them for the first time. First thing we used them for and they didn’t cover problem and you add $75 dollars service call on top of the cost of the plan. Hope this isn’t the continued way of things. We have DTE up north and haven’t had any issues and you pay a monthly fee

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Carol, I hate to hear about your most recent AHS experience and the disappointment encountered to have the repair completed. I would be glad to speak with you to reach a resolution.

Apr. 28th, 2021

Patricia Aaron Gretna, NE

Communication is difficult. No feedback from service provider in many cases. Information within my account is not adequate. Very difficult to speak to someone who really understands what I'm asking and who can respond adequately.

Reply from American Home Shield

I hate to hear you were not satisfied with your experience with us and I would like to connect with you regarding it.

Apr. 8th, 2021

Maggie Laveen, AZ

I called friday afternoon about the fact my AIr Conditoner broke AGAIN after 33 days of being fixed. The first time it caught on fire, well it did it again, it caught on fire AGAIN!!! The agent said he would call me right back, BUT NEVER DID!!!

Apr. 2nd, 2021

Brad Niems Wentzville, MO

You can almost never speak with an American and when you ask they just say they can't and disconnect you. When a supervisor is supposed to return your call, it almost never happens. They look for every excuse to not honor a claim instead of doing what the spirit of the agreement is. There are more reasons as well. I would prefer another option but they have the market. They have been of value for me for my issues but the frustration is almost not worth it.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Brad, I would be glad to speak with you and get the issues resolved.

Jan. 29th, 2021

Charles Shreveport, LA

Hit and miss terrible experience dealing with my air conditioner had to replace the entire heating and and air myself. This time the sevice people were good but dryer needed to be replaced. That was right after thanksgiving. Been in touch with purchasing after an average wait time to answer the phone 2 hrs. No solid answer on when the dryer will get here. Cash option would have given me bottom of the barrel brands of dryers. I dont complain or write reviews ,thankful that I am able to dry clothes at washateria. AHS you advertisement is true but the devil is in the details.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Charles, I hate to hear about your most recent AHS experience and the air conditioner repairs that have not been completed.

Jan. 21st, 2021

Terry Kornegay Silver Springs, FL

Recently raised premium $180.00/yr no notice or explanation. Two repairmen failed to complete job.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Terry, I hate to hear about the price increase that you have recently been notified of. I would be glad to speak with you about the repairs as well.

Sep. 9th, 2021

Susie Carey Oklahoma City, OK

Not happy with them right now. I've called 3 times and still have the same problem.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Susie, I hate to hear about the customer service experience and delay in service. I would be glad to speak with you to get the issues resolved.

Sep. 9th, 2021

Jeffrey Moffat

They get contractors for your problem out BUT I dont think they do well with following up with that contractor regarding the degree of satisfaction between the homeowner and the contractor. I also think some of the wording in the fine print of the ahs agreement needs to be worded differently, it's misleading. I've lived in my house 12yrs I've had AHS coverage since day 1. I've paid every month and also paid the service calls, but yet I still have the same problems. I chose to have coverage because the way I understood it was that if ahs had to be contacted 3-5 times over the same issue, that issue would be resolved by 1 a cash out settlement for me to replace the issue or #2 for ahs to remedy the issue by providing a new system. 12 yrs of service calls and ahs annual premiums I myself could have used that money and bought myself a brand new system. I'll be discontinuing my contract with ahs after my latest problem is resolved on the same system.

Renaye Jenkins Grand Prairie, TX

I’ve had a horrible time with the vendors and I can’t get a response in regards to my water heaters.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Renaye, I would be glad to speak with you to assist with a resolution on your experience to have the water heater repaired.

Julie Branson Lady Lake, FL

Repairs on the refrigerator are POOR. My appliance has condensation inside and still has it. NOT FIXED

Reply from American Home Shield

HiJulie, I hate to hear about the delay in service that has been experienced to have the refrigerator repaired. I would be glad to speak with you to assist with getting the issue resolved.

EDWARD F PROVOST JR New Iberia, LA

Difficult talking to customer service. System was down for a period of time and it caused a delay in service.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Edward, I hate to hear about your service experience to speak with a customer service representative. I would be glad to speak with you to discuss this.

JUNE STAMPLEY Fontana, CA

It’s hard to have a repair qualify for service. Then your monthly premium increase when you use it.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hello June. Thank you for expressing your concerns regarding your coverage. We are sorry to hear that you are not pleased with your warranty service. I would be happy to speak with you to further address this issue.

Aug. 10th, 2021

Michael Cardillo Shelbyville, IN

Poor customer service. Difficulty in speaking to a live English speaking person. I don't feel valued as a customer

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Michael. I am sorry to hear that your repair needs were not met. We are here to address your concerns. I would be happy to speak with you to further address this matter.

Aug. 11th, 2021

Rosemary Lozano Corpus Christi, TX

Customer Service stinks! I have been with AHS since 1999, and this six months have been a nightmsre!

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Rosemary, We appreciate your patronage since 1999 and would be glad to speak with you to discuss the unresolved issues over the past six months.

Aug. 6th, 2021

Deborah Galie Lawton, OK

at time goods, at times aggravating and impossible to deal with. also very difficult to get on the phone

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Deborah. I am very disappointed to hear that you have not been pleased with our service and have problems getting someone on the phone. I would be happy to speak with you to assist with a resolution to any unresolved service issue.

Jul. 30th, 2021

B Alicea Georgetown, TX

Contractors not the best. Do not take time to examine where issues are occurring. Walk away when issues still unresolved.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi B Alicea, I hate to hear about your most recent AHS experience to have the issue repaired. I would be glad to speak with you to assist with a possible resolution.

Jul. 22nd, 2021

Austin Hensel Tallahassee, FL

Double charged me for a continuation of single work item. Contacted support and they refused to refund my money for this error.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Austin. I am sorry to hear that you did not receive a refund if you were double charged for a service repair. I would be happy to speak with you and assist with resolving this issue.

Jul. 23rd, 2021

Karen Walaitis Reno, NV

I hate dealing with the foreign call centers that read from a script and can't help solve difficult problems that deviate from their script.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Karan. I am sorry to hear that your problem was not address when calling American Home Shield. We are here to assist you. I would be happy to speak with you to see how I may help in resolving the matter.

Jul. 15th, 2021

Stacie Mclaurin Windsor Mill, MD

I'm not pleased with AHS. They seem to try and get over and find every loop Boole to avoid fixing your appliance, or problem

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Stacie. I am sorry to hear that you are not pleased with your recent service experience. We are here to address your concerns. I would be happy to speak with your further regarding this matter.

Jul. 19th, 2021

Michael Holt Salt Lake City, UT

waited 45 minutes on hold to take to someone, and he did not help. Very upset, it has been a month waiting for my micro wave to be fixed!!

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Michael. Thank you for your feeback and letting us know you still need help with your microwave. We are here to assist you. I would be happy to speak with you and address this matter further.

Jul. 20th, 2021

Christian Salazar Whittier, CA

Takes way too long to get job orders approved and technicians to come out to fix the problem. It's taken an average two weeks to get things fixed

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Christian, I hate to hear about your most recent experience to have the repairs completed. I would be glad to speak with you and get the issues resolved.

Jul. 12th, 2021

Kevin Carnino Kimberling City, MO

SLow to handle repair parts. Getting a contractor out is relatively fast but getting the needed parts seems to go into limbo and noone knows when

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Kevin. I am sorry to hear that there has been a problem with getting parts to complete the repair. I would be happy to speak with you to try and resolve this matter.

Jul. 7th, 2021

Selina Roane-Thomas Columbus, OH

Paying a 100.00 service fee for each call and additional cost for the repair makes me wonder why a person need home shield.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Selina, I hate to hear about your most recent service experience to have the issue repaired and the noncovered cost. I would be glad to speak with you to get the issues resolved.

Jul. 14th, 2021

James Porter Midland, TX

after 3 weeks of saying they approved parts to the contractor which was a LIE I had to deal with them myself to get the job DONE!

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi James, I am sorry to hear about your American Home Shield experience to have the issues resolved. I would be glad to speak with you to reach a resolution.

Jul. 14th, 2021

Kathleen Rigg New Albany, OH

My service request was canceled, according to the service provider they assigned to do the work. No communication at all.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Kathleen, Thank you for letting us know that the issue has not been resolved. I would be happy to speak with you to assist with a resolution.

Jul. 12th, 2021

Alexis Shreveport, LA

Having customer service outside of the US causes issues and do not follow through with major problems such as A/C unit leaking into your house

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Alexis, I hate to hear about the delay in service on the existing AC work orders. I would be glad to speak with you to reach a resolution.

Jul. 8th, 2021

Heather Davis Spotsylvania, VA

Trust-they left my elderly mom with out AC and she had to pay herself to replace her unit. And she was a member for 12 years. 12 years they stole money from her

Reply from American Home Shield

Hello Heather. Thank you for letting us know about your concerns with the repair service for your mother's air conditioning. I hate to hear we did not meet her expectations. I would be happy to speak with you further regarding this matter.

Jun. 24th, 2021

Holly Ryan Lakeville, MN

They put bandaids on problems and you have to keep calling back and back to actually get fixed. No one in regular customer service speaks good English

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Holly, thank you for your feed back regarding your AHS experience. I am sure it is frustrating if you feel your repairs needs were not met. I would be happy to speak with you further and try to resolve the matter for you.

Jun. 16th, 2021

Milan Manjencich Anthem, AZ

Every subcontractor they use quotes anywhere from 2 to 7 days to get to you because THEY'RE SO BUSY but amazingly I'd you pay an extra $75-$125 they can get to you sooner

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Milan, I would be glad to speak with you regarding your most recent service experiences to have the air conditioner repaired.

Jun. 11th, 2021

Doris Blocker Houston, TX

Recent issue with air conditioning vendor who misrepresented the assessment of work and falsified the extent. I contested the vendor’s action no support from AHS

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Doris, I hate to hear about the ongoing delay in service to have the service issue repaired through AHS. I would be glad to speak with you to get the issues resolved.

Jun. 10th, 2021

Steven Shimmin

I had them for one year, but every time that I had a problem around the house, they gave me a big run around. I read the contract thoroughly but they always want to fight and refuse ant claims. I pay big money for insurance and warrant, but they never want to pay or fix items. Be careful

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Steven, Thank you for bringing your most recent issues to our attention. I would be glad to speak with you to reach a resolution.

Jul. 23rd, 2021

Don Ewald Oklahoma City, OK

This is quite possibly the biggest rip off going. First. I don't care what your issue is, you pay $100 up front. Wait for up to weeks for "their guy" who will more than likely tell you your issue is not worthy of replacement, may or may not patch it. Customer service sucks. Period. Trying to cancel a plan is near impossible. Run Forrest, RUN.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Don. I hate to hear you have not had a good experiene with our company. We are here to address your concerns and I would be happy to speak with you further to see how I may assist with a resolution.

Jun. 29th, 2021

Celia C-E Philadelphia, PA

They replaced my dishwasher, which is great, but the installation tech broke my sink, and AHS refused to cover fixing the sink even though my sink is covered since it was broken by someone not "normal wear and tear"

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Celia, Thank you for bringing the unresolved dishwasher issues to our attention. I would be glad to speak with you.

John Rocklin, CA

Customer service is a joke as customer. Service representatives are located in their home in the Philippines and no matter what your question is they read from a prepared script. This firm is a big rip off.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi John, I hate to hear about your most recent experience and would be glad to speak with you.

May. 18th, 2021

Gloria Nelson Columbus, GA

They do not use top quality vendors. They take advantage of Senior Citizens and make them pay for most of the repairs. Customer service reps give people the run around and speak broken English.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Gloria, I am sorry to hear about your most recent service experience and the non covered cost. I would be glad to speak with you to assist with a resolution.

Jun. 2nd, 2021

Johnene Horton Garland, TX

There seems to be a reason that something isn’t covered. You don’t know that until you spend $75 to have a sub contractor give that estimate. So far AHS has cost me more money than it would have cost me to “insure” myself!

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Johnene, I hate to hear about the difficulty experienced to have the repair completed. I would be glad to speak with you.

N Emamjomeh Altadena, CA

I had an issue. The issue was not resolved. I reached out to them. They promised to look into the problem and get back to me. 10 days later, no contact and I still have the issue lingering.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi N Emamjomeh, Thank you for bringing the issues about the delay to our attention. I would be glad to speak with you to reach a resolution.

May. 13th, 2021

Frances Shaffer-Gunn Wildomar, CA

1) Do not replace appliances with equivalent brands but use off brands; 2) refused to re-warranty my whirlpool bathtub after it was repaired by an unlicensed handyman, even though no one else would repair it

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Frances, I hate to hear about your most recent experience to have the dishwasher repaired. I would be glad to speak with you to get the issues resolved.

Apr. 23rd, 2021

James Irick Harker Heights, TX

Instead of fixing problems they just put a band aid on it. I have had my air conditioning looked at every year for about 6 to 7 years and all they do fix the problem for the moment not for the long term.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi James, Thank you for bringing the ongoing AC issues to American Home Shields attention. I would be glad to speak with you to get the issues resolved.

Apr. 27th, 2021

Anonymous, long-term policy holder Arlington, TX

The annual cost of the service often rivals the cost of repairing or replacing an appliance, especially considering the cost of service fees and the work not covered by the policies.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi, Thank you for bringing the issues to our attention regarding the cost to repair. We hate to hear about your unsatisfactory customer service experience and would be glad to speak with you.

Apr. 8th, 2021

Debra L Miller Austin, TX

Very poor customer service. I waited 2 weeks for a new water heater over Christmas and no rep helped me. They just told me it was in the hands of the contractor. It was a nightmare.

Apr. 2nd, 2021

sharon napper Prince George, VA

It took a week to get my electric box fixed.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Sharon. Thank you for letting us know about your concerns with the electrical repair. I would be happy to speak with you to further address this issue.

Sep. 14th, 2021

Christopher Genesse Lawton, OK

I've had several issues with my HVAC and the Memphis, Tennessee office has not listened to the customer at all and has not been cooperative and I sent an email and they sent my email back to me. Very unsatisfied and paid completely out of pocket for the entire system to be replaced. AHS has poor customer service!

Apr. 1st, 2021

Iris R. Craighead New Castle, DE

I am very displeased with overall performance and professionalism of serviceman who serviced washer. The Plumber was very detailed and professional BUT the problem still exists with water leaking in sink in Powder Room. It is getting more leakage when water goes out of washer.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Iris, I would be glad to speak with you about the leak service request. I will be contacting you soon.

Mar. 24th, 2021

Jerry Borque Athens, TX

They are almost impossible to contact and when you do get through to them it is almo0st impossible to understand the person, especially for older people. I am still waiting on the payment on the stove that couldn't be fixed in November of 2020.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Jerry, I would be glad to speak with you to refund the payment for the stove service request.

Mar. 24th, 2021