Best Company badge 10,000 Reviews American Home Shield Logo

American Home Shield

8.6

American Home Shield® is the founder of the home warranty industry and is one of the market leaders with over 1.7 million customers. Beginning in 1971, the company's goal has always been to protect homeowners from high, unexpected home repair costs. American Home Shield is affiliated with the home service company Frontdoor.

With its extensive experience in the home warranty business, American Home Shield is a trusted name compared to other service providers in the industry. American Home Shield offers a variety of warranty plans, including a build-your-own plan that allows customers to select the individual systems and appliances they'd like coverage for.

Read American Home Shield reviews below as well as the pros and cons of the company.

The Good

• Time in Business
  • Discount Programs
  • Four Flexible Plans
  • Multiple Fee Options
  • Upfront Contract Information
  • No Home Inspection
  • Referral Bonus
  • Discounted Air Filters
  • Sample Service Contract

Time in Business

American Home Shield has more than 45 years of experience and became the industry founder when it created home warranties back in 1971. American Home Shield now has more than 1.7 million customers and is one of the largest warranty companies in the industry. Being in business for so long is a good indicator that American Home Shield is equipped to give its customers what they want in a home warranty company.

Discount Programs

In addition to its decades of home warranty experience, American Home Shield offers its customers many money-saving incentives, including its Appliance Discount Program. With this discount program, customers save money over MSRP and have Energy Star certified options. Customers can also benefit from American Home Shield's "Refer a Friend" program, which rewards customers with a $25 Amazon gift card for each friend referred. In addition, the company offers discounts on air filters.

Four Flexible Plans

American Home Shield allows customers to choose between four different home warranty plans: Combo, Appliances, Systems, and Build-Your-Own. The Combo Plan covers major components of all 21 items covered in the Systems and Appliances Plans, including air conditioning and heating. The Appliances Plan covers major components of 10 appliances, including the refrigerator, dishwasher, clothes washer, and dryer.

The Systems Plan covers major components of 11 home systems, including heating, air conditioning, plumbing, and electrical. Finally, the Build-Your-Own Plan allows homeowners to pick and choose 10 items from a list of 21 systems and appliances to cover.

American Home Shield warranty options also include coverage for real estate professionals and contractors. A detailed list of all warranty plans and included appliances and systems is as follows:

Combo Plan

• Air conditioner and ductwork
  • Heating and ductwork
  • Electrical
  • Doorbells
  • Smoke detectors
  • Ceiling fans
  • Plumbing (including stoppages)
  • Water heater

• Electrical
  • Doorbells
  • Smoke detectors
  • Ceiling fans
  • Plumbing (including stoppages)
  • Water heaters
  • Garbage disposals
  • Instant hot/cold water dispensers
  • Central vacuums

Add-On Options

• Electronics Plan by Asurion ($18)
  • Pool and in-ground spa (pool and in-ground spa only $13.33 per month; pool and in-ground spa equipment: $13.99 per month)
  • Guest unit (extend coverage to unit less than 750 square feet: $12.99 per month)
  • Septic pump (available first year of warranty only: $2.50 per month)
  • Well pump serving as home water source ($7.08 per month)

Build-Your-Own Plan

• Homeowners can add any system or appliance to their plan not currently covered in their chosen package.

Multiple Fee Options

With American Home Shield, customers pay a trade service call fee for a professional to help them with their problem, then fix the system or appliance or replace it. The three options for this service fee are $75, $100, and $125, which gives customers flexibility in how much they pay each month for their plan coverage. The higher the trade service call fee, the lower the amount the customer will pay each month.

Upfront Contract Information

American Home Shield offers a sample contract on its website, making it easy for customers to get an idea of what the company offers. American Home Shield also states upfront that the company does not require a home inspection in order to purchase a warranty plan and will not limit coverage based on the age of any of your home systems or appliances, making it easier for customers to get warranty coverage.

This upfront contract information helps the customer decide early on if American Home Shield is a home warranty company that will work for their needs.

No Home Inspection

Unlike some home warranty providers, American Home Shield does not require a home inspection or maintenance records before using its services. The company also does not decline coverage based on the age of your systems and appliances. This is convenient for customers who want a simple home warranty process and don't want to worry about a home inspection process to discover what systems and appliances are covered and what ones aren't.

Referral Bonus

American Home Shield offers a referral program for its customers. If you refer a friend to its services, AHS will reward you with a $25 Amazon gift card. The company's website doesn't specify whether or not you can receive the referral bonus more than once, so check with an AHS representative to be sure.

Discounted Air Filters

As part of your AHS customer perks, you can get up to 50 percent off retail prices on air conditioning and furnace filters. American Home Shield will also deliver the filters directly to your home. However, it is unclear whether or not you have to pay extra for delivery, so check with the company to be sure.

Sample Service Contract

American Home Shield has a sample contract available online. According to our research, a majority of 1-star reviews for the home warranty industry involve claim denials that are typically outlined in the contract, such as damage that is beyond the scope of normal wear and tear, damages covered by another warranty such as a manufacturer's warranty, and damages from not following building codes.

American Home Shield ensures that you can see the terms outlined in a sample contract and be aware of the offered coverage.

The Bad

• Customer Complaints
  • Lack of Monthly Pricing Information

Customer Complaints

Common customer complaints for American Home Shield range from rising warranty prices to bad customer service processes. There have also been complaints regarding the company's network of service technicians handling repairs, with some customers waiting days for a local technician only to have multiple faulty repairs. You can read American Home Shield reviews below to find out what else customers have to say about how they think American Home Shield warranty compares to other service providers.

Lack of Monthly Pricing Information

American Home Shield does not provide any information about monthly pricing on its website. Interested consumers are encouraged to obtain a quote from the company for more information on pricing.

The Bottom Line

There is a lot of good to say about American Home Shield. The company has extensive experience in the home warranty industry and offers discount programs, extensive coverage of many home appliances and systems, and options when it comes to trade service call fees. Its plan customization makes it simple for customers to find the right home warranty for their needs.

Being the founder of the home warranty industry, American Home Shield has extensive experience to back up its name. Many warranty companies are not as experienced as AHS, and this may result in quality issues.

If you're interested in learning more about the American Home Shield warranty experience, such as customer service and claim response time, check out American Home Shield reviews below. The company may be the right provider for you to protect your home's systems and appliances against regular wear and tear and other common malfunctions.

View Best Home Warranty Companies

3.9

Ali Cheaito Dearborn, MI

Created a request for a blockage in sewer line. First plumber recommended hydro jetting since he couldn’t get through with the snake. AHS changed the service request to ‘pipe leak’ and sent another plumber. He was dumbfounded when i told him he’s here to jet the line, said that his company doesn’t do that and he’ll tell AHS they sent the wrong guy. Next day, service request was marked ‘resolved’. Called AHS and they said the second plumber reported that there is no blockage in the sewer line. I explained the situation and that the plumber didn’t check a thing, but they said he’ll provide proof in 24 business hours and they’ll get back to me. 48 business hours later, I still have a blocked sewer line and had to leave the house because of a lying plumber and AHS, who haven’t called yet

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Ali. Thank you for letting us know about your plumbing experience. I am sorry to hear that the issue was not addressed to your satisfaction. I would be happy to speak with you to address this issue further.

Jul. 31st, 2021

Earnest Pittman Winchester, CA

I have had two costly experiences with warranty service. The first time was being charged extra for a plumbing leak because the repairman stated it had limited access that turned out repairing the leak in three minutes. The second time was using the solicited air conditioner tune up program and when the repairman showed up, he found a defective part. Cost me $370 to have that repairman replace the part that should have covered under the warranty. The repairman never elevated the defected part to AHS and told me to write him a check on the spot because he didn'taccept credit card. Note the repairman could not give me a bill identifying the defected part because he said he had to take the check back to the office and wait for the check to clear. I never received the bill from the repairman. I complained to AHS and I was told that I should have initiated a new workorder when the defective part was noted.

Kim Pascoe Menifee, CA

I’m not satisfied at all with AHS. I use to recommend AHSAND SAY THEY WERE so good and gets you stuff fixed, now I had 2 items that were not working one was my washer & now my AC, my washer the guy came back 2x and still does same I called to get repaired and for my AC 3 AC companies that AHS has sent out says my unit needs to be replaced and it was denied so we had them get another one out for 2nd opinion and same outcome, now waiting on what they are going to do …

FRANCISCO J SALGADO Berwyn, IL

I'm still waiting to resolve an issue with my refrigerator that was damaged from one the contractors that was supposed to fix it. Every time I call your customer service department they just tell me that they are going to escalate the case and someone is going to call me in the next 48 hours but nobody calls me back! This is been going on since February, this used to be a really good company but I don't know what happened,

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Franciso. Thank you for reaching out to let us know the issue with your refrigerator has not been resolved. I would be happy to speak with you to address this issue further.

Andrew K Dupree Seneca, MO

To start, I filed that my dishwasher quit drying in February of this year, AHS gave me an 800 number to call for sears service. Every time I called their prescribed number, I got some one I couldn't understand and they eventually hang up with me while on hold. In June of this year, I call AHS for some other service , they found me Joplin Appliance Repair which is local to me. 1st appt. was June 18th, Richard showed up at 08:05, said there was a bad switch and that he would have to order, left at 08:10am. Called to return and install failed temperature switch Monday 6/28 at 08:45 when appt. was set for 07:00. Richard was onsite a total of 20minutes. No, Teat check was done, so I ran a load of dishes and still no heating cycle. I called AHS again that issue had not been resolved. Joplin Appliance rescheduled for July1st between 08am and noon. Richard called me and said that he failed to reset the dish washer and that he could talk me through the sequence to do so. I did. I then ran a cycle through my dish washer with the same NO Drying results. Called and left messages with Joplin Appliance for a returned call... crickets!! So. in closing, I have paid my 100$ deductible and AHS has paid Joplin Repair $200.25, the dish washer has been in service for 3years and depreciated value verse amount already spent is of equal or lesser value. I am about ready to cancel AHS and go to a more reputable Home Warranty group. Andy Dupree

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Andrew. I am sorry to hear that you were not pleased with the service you received for your dishwasher. I would be happy to speak with you and assist with a resolution to this problem with your appliance.

Katrina L Mendenhall Newport News, VA

I contact them about my ac being broke they sent someone out on Saturday and I need a part to fix it but the company nor American Home Shield have followed up. I have to keep calling them but everyone is blaming each other and the problem has yet to be resolved. It's hot and I have children and I'm still waiting to get the issue resolved.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Katrina. I am very sorry to hear that the issue with your air conditioning has not been resolved. I would be happy to speak with you and assist with a resolution.

Dave Rich Sterling Heights, MI

Ridiculously bad service. The trim around my sink cabinets is ruined and I haven't been able to use the dishwasher because your agents "didn't feel like letting the supplier know that it was an emergency" to come back and re-fix the dishwasher.

Cynthia Tanner Sacramento, CA

The plumbing problem (loose kitchen Neighbor fixed it in less than 15 minutes. faucet that I called about was not repaired. Told " a piece is missing". Neighbor went to Lowes which is about 1 mile away. Bought a piece for less than )

Lorraine Beaumont, CA

One big issue is, you are never able to speak to someone that knows anything. The few I have spoken to on the phone don't even know what some appliances are and when I ask to speak to a supervisor, they say they will call me back and that never happens.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Lorraine. I am sorry to hear that you were not able to have your service needs met when calling. I would be happy to speak with you to address your concerns further.

Sonya Woodbridge, VA

I had a kitchen sink that was leaking from the faucet. I was told by American Homeshield that it was not covered. That is the first thing that shows on the American Honeshield Commercial (The lady on the Commercial talking about a leaky faucet). That is false advertisement. So I didn't understand why it was not covered. And the price is going up too much.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Sonya. Thank you for your feedback regarding the coverage for your faucet. I can understand you concerns regarding this issue. I would be happy to speak with you to address this matter further.

Jul. 21st, 2021

Mary Ann Davis Springville, AL

Talking with someone on the phone is a real challenge. Long holding time. We have paid out of pocket for repairs because we could not wait for home shield. One Christmas our water heater went out and flooded our basement. We had out of town guest and could not wait for home shield to fix the problem. We recently paid out of pocket most of the cost for a new air conditioner because home shield would not pay all. We waited over a month for a new oven install. Not to mention to ever increasing monthly rate.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Mary Ann, I hate to hear about your most recent AHS experiences to have the water heater and AC repaired. I would be glad to speak with you to assist with a possible resolution.

Jul. 22nd, 2021

Barbara St. George Boerne, TX

They do not support me when I have a problem with the technician or service they send. I have had a plumber problem that is now having plumber return for 5th time. They have damaged the wall. The owner/ manager from ASAP never returns calls. The service who delivered my oven scratched the floors and AHS refuses to aid me in getting this corrected or even addresses.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Barbara. We hate to hear about the experiences you have had with your plumbing and oven. We are here to address your concerns. I would be happy to speak with your further regarding these issues.

Jul. 20th, 2021

Owner Chula Vista, CA

For so many years the repairman sent didnt speak English well, came in unmarked vehicles,no company logo or uniform. Rarely could fix problem. I stopped calling them and paid out of pocket. I was going to cancel but had plumbing issue...same or similar again. I thought this is, if I get the plumbers as past, I'm canceling. What a wonderful surprises when Roman's plumbing called, set up appt which worked with my schedule. Came on time, company vehicle and uniform. I didnt have to supply rags or anything. He was prepared. Ordered a new disposal, returned to install with schedule which allowed me to miss minimal work. Great job Roman's plumbing so I didnt cancel. Soon after had appliance issue, called and had similar wonderful experience. Perhaps American Home Shield is selecting qualified professionals who are interested in performing. Hope this type service from AHS continues. ontinues

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi, I am sorry to hear about your American Home Shield experience to have the plumbing issues resolved. I would be glad to speak with you to reach a resolution.

Are Brown Fort Worth, TX

They are going out of their way to not honor the contract. I have gone without air conditioning for nearly a month, on the hottest days of the year. My family was sick from the heat. The contactor came out after 3 days the first time. Claimed they could not honor the contract because there was dog urine on the outside compressor; however the outside compressor worked and is still working just fine. It is the fan motor on the unit inside of the house that is bad. First guy came out, changed the capacitor, but did not bother checking the motor. It ran for 3 hours and stopped again. A week later another company came out checked the motor, put in a new fan motor. It worked just fine for 3 days. I smelled wires burning from the unit inside and shut it off. Called AH'S for a 3rd time. This guy said I needed a new inside unit. I then hired my own outside company. They said the malfunction had nothing to do with the compressor outside, but instead the inside fan motor that had been installed was defective. I have tried to contact AH'S about this several times using the same reference number resulting in either hang ups or recording saying the request has been cancelled. I should have done my homework first. Everyone I have shared my story with said that AHS will find any kind of way not to honor the contract by doing a replacement when needed. I am retired and on a fixed income, I purchased AHS as a safety net for repairs. I've only used them twice before in the 4 years that I have been a member. I could have purchased a new unit with the money I have wasted on them. No safety net here, only got caught in The AH'S. Just waiting now for Karma to catch up with them and it will.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hello Are. We do hate to hear about your service experience with your air conditioning. We understand how important it is to have your air working properly. I would be happy to speak with you to address this issue further.

Carlos Castro Pflugerville, TX

Up until this month (june) i would have given AHS 5 stars. I renewed my yearly contract on june 1st & the AHS rep said he would automatically deduct my monthly premium every month. He did not do that & AHS took out the entire yearly amount on june 21st. This has put me in a VERY difficult financial situation. I called AHS on june 21st & the rep processed a SmartForm to reimburse me the money. She told me this could take up to 7 day. Well the 7th day was this past monday (june 28th) & AHS has not put my reimbursement money into my bank account. I am very upset about this whole situation. I have called everyday since monday june 28th & all the AHS reps say that the reimbursement process has gone ok on their end. I don't believe this, something is wrong because as of today (june 30th) i still don't have my money in my bank account. I've tried to talk to a supervisor of the AHS rep but the rep says i can't talk to them which is ridiculous & really pissed me off. I just don't know what else to say about this situation except it sucks. I thought i had my yearly contract renewal updated when i called on june 1st to only have my monthly premium automatically deducted from my bank account on the 18th of each month. The AHS rep who i contacted (his name was tim) obviously didn't know what the hell he was doing as again, my whole yearly premium was deducted from my bank account. I am in dire financial stress at this time due to your GROSS oversite.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Carlos. Thank you for letting us know about the billing issue you experienced. We are very sorry to hear that this has happened. I would be happy to speak with you and assist with resolving this matter.

Larry Morris Lubbock, TX

Over the past 20+ years we have been extremely happy with AHS. However, our dishwasher was causing problems and one of the companies you contract with came out to work on our dishwasher. Your assigned company decided it was cheaper to replace the item than repair it but AHS said to repair it. Your assigned company came back to the house to start repairs and worked on it for several hours. After "repair" was completed we used the item ONE (1) time and had problems with it so we called AHS and you sent the repair person back out (taking apart the door to the item the place you put the cleaning detergent door would not close and lock). The repair person took the door apart several times but NEVER could get the door to lock. I called AHS to talk about this problem and the gentleman I spoke to said that we could asked for a buy out. Two days later I received a letter from "frontdoor" telling us our claim was denied. YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING US!!!

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Larry. I do hate to hear about the issues you have had with your dishwasher repair. I would be happy to speak with you and see how I may assist with resolving this matter.

Steve comstock Round Rock, TX

2 problems. 1 air conditioner co assigend by hsa mis diagnosed problem.had to hire someone else. 2 clogged drain Friday @1p.m. Contractor assigned wouldn't be available until Monday. Had to hire someone else.

JohnFranich New Market, VA

After needing a plumber last winter, a contracter could not be located. They never called to tell me. I got my own plumber almost immediately. It cost me $315 as they refused to pay the claim

John Soles Fayetteville, GA

I've been with Amer Home Shield for10years or longer. My Ac unit went down on June 30,2021 ad it still not repaired, It seem to be hard for AHS and the repair company to get on the ball and get it repaired. It's cooler outside than it is in my home. What's it going to take for me to get it repaired?

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi John, Thank you for bringing your most recent issues to our attention. I would be glad to speak with you to reach a resolution for the AC repairs.

Kari Campbell Montgomery, TX

11 days from the loss of the air conditioner. The repair company came 8 days ago and they are still waiting for AHS to authorize the repair. We are both Realtors and question whether we would advise our buyers to use this service.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Kari, Thank you for bringing the delay in service to our attention. I would be glad to speak with you and assist with a resolution to get the air conditioner system repaired.

Kirk Yousif Birmingham, MI

I have been trying to get my AC fixed for over two months (Since May 23rd and today is 7/29). First, guy came out and added freon without looking at the system. After that, I spent a month trying to get a hold of him and AHS but he had disappeared. They sent a different company after I finally got a hold of their social media resolution department and that guy came on on the only day in July when it was a cool day and said "I dont see anything wrong". Now the Social Media people havent answered me and the regular call center, where no one speaks solid english and you can hear chickens in the background, wants me to start over with the process and ignore every attempt i have made to escalate the issue. I have been with this company for a very long time and their new service is aweful.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Kirk. Thank you for letting us know that you still need assistance with resolving the problem with your air conditioning. . We would be happy to speak with you to address this issue further.

Holly Niro Brunswick, OH

I have always had good experiences with this company until I needed plumbing work. They contract with a company that has horrible reviews and never came to my house to complete the repairs. However, American Home Shield will not refund my money because the company said they came to my house. So, I lost the $100 and my boyfriend had to do the repair.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Holly. I am sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience with your plumbing repar. We are here to address your concerns. I would be happy to speak with you regarding this matter.

Dennis Cook Edmond, OK

I currently have a claim for my oven replacement. Please send me the $375 check.I have been given the option to receive a $375 check and replace my oven myself. I need the $375 check so I can afford to buy the replacement oven. AHS is requiring me to buy the oven first and then send AHS the invoice. This is not good customer service. I have had the AHS policy for 10+ years.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Dennis. Thank you for letting us know the problem you are having with replacing your appliance. I would be happy to speak with you and assist with resolving this matter.

Jul. 16th, 2021

patricia s donovan Phoenix, AZ

Most of the time there is some "exclusion" to what is needed. My last claim was pretty simple. Toilet that would empty on occasion. The man that came was very nice. Replaced the flapper for 125.00. Seriously. Still have the same issue and now it doesn't even flush completely. I do most of my own work. I put a claim in so I could have a plumber look at because I thought it was an issue behind my capability. That's why I have a home warranty. I feel like a number and the service providers come in and out quickly. I will call to cancel.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Patricia. Thank you for your feedback. I'm sure it is frustrating if you are still having problems with your toilet after a technician has been out. I would be happy to speak with you to assist in resolving this issue.

Jennifer Van Hooser San Jose, CA

We have had some very good experiences and some very bad experiences. It is hard to say if I would refer or not. It can be VERY difficult to get in touch with someone who has any authority to make managerial decisions. They don't always tend to listen and/or finish (in a timely manner) claims that have any wrenches thrown into the mix. If it is a straight forward claim then things have worked fairly well.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Jennifer. We appreciate you feedback and value your opinion. I am sorry to hear that you have had some service requests that have not been resolved to your satisfaction. I would be happy to speak with you further regarding this matter to see how I may assist with a resolution.

Jul. 21st, 2021

Srinivasan Balaji Oakmont, PA

Follow-up has been non-existent with my recent repair request. It's been 7 days since the repair company was here -- I have called American Shield 4 times with no real updates. And now another 2-day wait while "the approvals team reviews" the findings. Meanwhile, we are literally buying essential food items every couple of days because they are going bad in our non-functioning refregierator

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Srinivasan. Thank you for your feedback and letting us know that the issue with your refrigerator has not been resolved. I am sure it is very inconvenient to be without your refrigerator. I would be happy to speak with you and assist with a resolution to this matter.

Helen Funches Jackson, MS

I have trouble with my air conditioning many times that won't to charge me 75 dollor and still threaten me talking about closing my account they had to come out 3 time in month for my air conditioning and last year and the year before that something is not right if you done been out is for the same thing 4 or 5 time I pay all most 800 a year and for what bad service

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Helen, I hate to hear about your most recent experience to have the air conditioner repairs completed. I would be glad to speak with you and get the issues resolved.

Deborah Benner Jacksonville, NC

My last few experiences with customer service was horrendous. I do not appreciate having to communicate with people whom I cannot understand and who cannot understand me, or being put on hold for well over 30 minutes without checking to see if I am alright any to apologize for waiting that long or scheduling a contractor that isn't a member of the BBB and is not listed anywhere as a contractor and has been sued by half of the area I live. It took almost 3 days to get a contractor that was requested when I became a member several years ago. Last year my air unit went up and athe contractor that was scheduled wasn't the one that was supposed to come to my home instead this person did not turn off the power to the unit and fell up against it knocking other parts inside of the unit which caused copper wiring to touch and blowing up the wiring. He then drained the freon and replaced the wiring without telling me he did so and instead of taking responsibility as everyone makes mistakes he told his company that there was a leak in the lines which there wasn't and charged me 450.00 I finally got in touch with a US rep who contacted them and they told the rep a completely different story but they weren't told the truth. I was told to stop payment that cost me 60.00. The contractor continued to harass me and even once came to my home. I continued to call AHS and they told me not to worry about it. Finally after 7 months of being harassed I had enough and the legal dept was contacted. It actually got worse before getting better. It was a horrible experience. If the contractor requested on my account would have been contacted that wouldn't have happened. Then this past time took 4 more days than it should. I have been with AHS for many years and have paid my bill on time for all of those years. I have asked for very little but for good customer service but unfortunately have not received it.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Deborah, I am sorry to hear about your American Home Shield experience to have the air conditioner issues resolved. I would be glad to speak with you to reach a resolution.

John Deen Henderson, NV

We've been reassuring for three weeks for a call about the status of our work order. I've called three times to both AHS and Accent Air fir an update. Each said they were waiting on the other to contact them. Today Ascent said that AHS asked them for approval too replace our A/C compressor. Accent said they had responded three times. I called AHS again and he found where Accent had responded twice, I believe. The AHS person said that he thought the authorizing office is considering the request and would respond within 48 hours. At that time AHS will contact us. This is the first time we've had such trouble getting anything completed.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi John, I hate to hear about your most recent service experience to have the air conditioner system repaired and the lack of follow-up. I would be glad to speak with you to get the issues resolved.

Sandra Tucson, AZ

First of all I like to say although they sent somebody in a timely fashion due to the fact that I had a hot water heater go out my biggest concern is that the policy states that they'll give you a hot water heater and the same capacity but not of the same quality. I'm somewhat disappointed that I had $1000 hot water heater placed in my home and all that they could offer me was a off-the-shelf hot water heater with no tradename from Lowe's hardware store I called repeated times to get information and unfortunately the three women that I spoke with on different occasions were very unhelpful. Secondly when I called to find out the monetary value of payout I was also disappointed to find out that they will only offer you $460. The same hot water heater at Lowe's was $576 as I had just seen it that same day on the shelf at the store.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Sandra, I hate to hear about your less than satisfactory service experience to have the hot water heater replaced. I would be glad to speak with you to get the issues resolved.

William Fitts

On June 8 my a/c wasn't cooling and was leaking condensation into the a/c closet. I called AHS and service order 69961697 was assigned. The unit was repaired the next day. On June 14 my refrigerator stopped cooling. I called AHS and service order 71365947 was issued. On 15 June I called the assigned company to chon the status of my situation and was told that my repair was aches for 22 June. That was unacceptable. Your representative informed me that was the only vendor int the Fort Worth/Dallas area.i cancelled the order and called a local company who fixed the unit that day. I was out ~$325 instead of $100. I'm disappointed. Y'all need to do better

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi William. Thank you for letting us know about your AHS expeirence. I am sorry to hear of the problem you had with addressing the repair needs for your refrigerator. I will be happy to speak with you to see if we may be able to reach a resolution regarding this matter.

Melanie Jones Newport News, VA

They are called American home shield but when you call customer service you always have to speak to call centers in the Philippines. They have not been helpful since my AC broke and as of today, 9 days later, I'm still living in a hot house. I have gotten nothing but excuses from them and after waiting patiently I still have to pay over $1300 to the contractor to get my AC fixed. Now I am waiting for American Home Shield to order the part just so I can get the AC fixed. Who knows how long it will take for the part to come in. Worst experience ever. I am not going to renew my contract with this company

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Melanie. Thank you for providing feedback about the experience with your air conditioning. I am sorry to hear that your air has not been repaired yet but I would be happy to speak with you regarding this issue to see how I may help in getting a resolution.

Jun. 23rd, 2021

Carl Oxnard, CA

The home warranty business is a terrible industry, but I found AHS covers several more things than other companies. Customer support could be better. They promise to call you back and don't follow through. I had to keep calling about my service request to fix a toilet. The tech came and stayed 3 minutes. I kept calling AHS asking if my toilet will get fixed or not. They kept saying they're waiting on info from the vendor, we'll call you back, never did, then they canceled the service order and I didn't even know until I called them a week later. They said we'll see what else we can do. Then it all started over again with the same conversations! You could've just said no at first, nothing we can do, instead of taking me around for a month. Now 6 weeks later, I still don't have my toilet repaired. AHS said no because a bolt was missing. The bolt was simply down in the hole. It was corroded and had broken off. But they wouldn't cover the repair. Wasted $100. I found a youtube video to fix it, me and my son are doing it. New flange, new bolts, new wax ring, all for $25. I'm not sure if I really need a monthly AHS contract.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Carl, I hate to hear about your less than satisfactory service experience to have the toilet repaired. I would be glad to speak with you to get the issues resolved.

Sharona R Rice Tulsa, OK

After talking with other buyers, it seems it's hard to get things approved. I had a hard time understanding a lot of the reps I talked to as well and couldn't give me clear answers. I had a call back from one saying she had options to discuss. When I called back the new repnon the phone had no info on this and so was not given any options. I had a simple faucet change. I have an older home. It was an original faucet. Since it was quoted as damaged it was not replaced by your company and had to pay out of pocket. Even the company that I ended up working with had negative things to say about this warranty company and gave me some new companies to try. I still don't understand how a faucet can be denied. If you need a faucet fixed it is going to be from wear and tear.

Reply from American Home Shield

Good afternoon Sharona, I hate to hear about the ongoing issues that have been experienced to have the faucet and other plumbing items repaired. I would be glad to speak with you to discuss possible resolutions.

Jun. 15th, 2021

Keith Adams Hyattsville, MD

I have an existing issue with low water pressure. I had an appointment with T mayes Plumbing and Heating and stay at home from 2:00-8:00 pm and they never came

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Keith. I am very sorry to hear that the contractor did not show up for your appointment. I can see why this would be upsetting. I would be happy to speak with you and assist with resolving this issue.

Cathy Harrison Middleburg, FL

No one has gotten in touch with us regarding our air conditioning it’s been 4days but you took the $100 for that service very disappointed in the service eight now

Edjuan Williams Brandon, FL

Overall the company is ok but they fall short on holding their contractors accountable and don't provide enough options if you have an emergency issue with you appliances. Customers service is also inconsistent.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Edjuan. I am sorry to hear that you have not been satisfied with the service from AHS or our contractors. We appreciate you taking time to let us know your concerns. I would be happy to speak with you to address any unresolved issue.

Joshua Richardson Metairie, LA

Your appliance department overall service is extremely poor. In addition, when you hire a vendor to come and check the product my account ALWAYS shows up completed which is never the case. In addition, your customer service managers say they will call you back AND NEVER DO!!!!

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Joshua. I amvery sorry to hear that you were not pleased with the service from our appliance department and that you did not get a call back from a supoervisor. We are here to address your concerns. I would be happy to speak with you and assist with a resolution. Please provide your contract number or property address so that I may locate your account.

Joan spearman Fort Smith, AR

Had to watch water flow out of hot water heater for 5 days til the plumber got ok to install new one. We were without hot water for 6 days recently. Tried calling to ask to hurry it up and was on hold for twenty minutes.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Joan. I am very sorry to hear about the experience with your water heater. I am sure it was very frustrating to be without hot water for 6 days. I would be happy to speak with you and assist with a resolution to this matter.

Erika Jacksonville, FL

Didn't show up to two different appointments and at one appointment they didn't fix what was needed to be fixed and instead of calling me to ask if I would pay extra for the pet they left and I had to reschedule another appointment and service call

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Erika. Thank you forletting us know about your repair experience. I am sorry to hear that the issue was not resolved and that you had reschedule you appointment. I would be happy to speak with you and assist with a resolution.

Jul. 16th, 2021

Kam Van Nuys, CA

HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE! I was promised a call back to resolve an issue ... never got that phone call or my issue resolved! Their endor forced me into paying cash in person and AHS claimed they would "follow up" but that didn't happen despite my multiple phone calls.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Kam, I am sorry to hear about your American Home Shield experience to have the issues resolved. I would be glad to speak with you to reach a resolution.

Lynda Smith Orange, TX

It has been three weeks since the a/c company came to look at our a/c. They said they still do not have the part, because they have to wait on AHS to get it for them. I have had a complete outside unit replaced in one week with another company.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Lynda. I am sorry to hear that your air conditioning has still not been repaired. We do understand that part delays can be very frustrating. I would be happy to speak with you to assist with resolving this issue.

ann c woodie Westminster, MD

I am not happy being transferred from one department to another , getting different answers from each and waiting for an hour only to be hung up on . On somethings they are very good , but it needs improvement in communication .

Reply from American Home Shield

Hello Ann. We are very sorry to hear that you are not happy with the service you have received. We are here to assit you. I would be happy to speak with you to address your concerns.

Garth Creekmore Newark, OH

Most of the customer service representatives don't listen agent you talk. They constantly interrupt. When I asked to speak to a supervisor, the request was never completed. I had these issues with multiple customer service people.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Garth, I would be glad to speak with you in regard to your most recent American Home Shield experience and the lack of customer service.

Theresa Lyons Warrenton, VA

AHS has been servicing my AC for 5 years and fixing the same problem for 5 years. Don't you think it needs to be replaced???!!!! Getting sick of sitting for days in the summer without AC while my AHS feels continue to increase every year

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Theresa. We do understand how important it is to have your air conditioning working properly. I would be happy to speak with you to see how I may assist with resolving this matter.

Poppy Pousson Beaumont, TX

Long hold times when I call the call center and the call center is not in the United States the people seem to be somewhat rude and the last time I needed an AC fixed hi sit in 87% humidity and 87 degrees in my home it was too uncomfortable to be in my home and this lasted for over two weeks.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Poppy. I am sorry to hear about the delay in repairing the problem with your air conditioning. Thank you for letting us know about this issue and your concerns with the hold times as well. I would be happy to speak with you and assist wih resolving this matter.

Ervin McCoy Hattiesburg, MS

I called in May to get my refrigerator fixed and it's still not fixed. The company keeps coming out charging extra money and rescheduling. They want be back until July 8. I have lost hundreds of dollars throw away food because of mold. I can't keep food in it. I been dealing with this going on 3 months now

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Ervin. Thank you for your feedback regarding the issue with your refrigerator. I am sorry to hear that the problem has not been resolved. I would be happy to speak with you and assist with a resolution.

Jul. 20th, 2021

Phil Queen Creek, AZ

The people came out to do the job seems like they're not motivated, take pride, or even care about to make people happy and they're there just for the money and they do the job poorly except one came out and replace the shower gasket and ask my wife to give good review although he did do a good job.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Phil. Thank you for taking time to let us know about your repair experiences. I am sorry to hear that you have not been satisfied with technicians. I would be happy to speak with with further regarding this matter.

Jul. 6th, 2021

Nicole Shepard Jacksonville, FL

I'm still waiting on a washer and its been 3 weeks. They did not cancel the first order as I asked due to the way I was being treated so that company came out anyway. Was told GE would call in 3 to 5 days for delivery and today is day 5. I dred calling AHS because each call is an hour to an hour and half. Too stressful. I just want my washer

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Nicole, We hate to hear about your most recent AHS experience to have the washer repaired. I would be glad to speak with you to address the issues.

Andrea Ward Crescent, PA

I've used AHD off and on for decades but this time I have noticed a severe decline in customer service. It appears that they have offshored their customer service resulting in never being able to speak to the same person, no follow up on the status of claims on behalf of the customer, and no sense of urgency

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Andrea, Thank you for bringing the service experience to our attention. I would be glad to speak with you to reach a resolution for the issues that have occurred.