American Home Shield

8.4

American Home Shield® is the founder of the home warranty industry and is one of the market leaders with over 1.7 million customers. Beginning in 1971, the company's goal has always been to protect homeowners from high, unexpected home repair costs. American Home Shield is affiliated with the home service company Frontdoor.

With its extensive experience in the home warranty business, American Home Shield is a trusted name compared to other service providers in the industry. American Home Shield offers a variety of warranty plans, including a build-your-own plan that allows customers to select the individual systems and appliances they'd like coverage for.

Read American Home Shield reviews below as well as the pros and cons of the company.

The Good

• Time in Business
  • Discount Programs
  • Four Flexible Plans
  • Multiple Fee Options
  • Upfront Contract Information
  • No Home Inspection
  • Referral Bonus
  • Discounted Air Filters
  • Sample Service Contract

Time in Business

American Home Shield has more than 45 years of experience and became the industry founder when it created home warranties back in 1971. American Home Shield now has more than 1.7 million customers and is one of the largest warranty companies in the industry. Being in business for so long is a good indicator that American Home Shield is equipped to give its customers what they want in a home warranty company.

Discount Programs

In addition to its decades of home warranty experience, American Home Shield offers its customers many money-saving incentives, including its Appliance Discount Program. With this discount program, customers save money over MSRP and have Energy Star certified options. Customers can also benefit from American Home Shield's "Refer a Friend" program, which rewards customers with a $25 Amazon gift card for each friend referred. In addition, the company offers discounts on air filters.

Four Flexible Plans

American Home Shield allows customers to choose between four different home warranty plans: Combo, Appliances, Systems, and Build-Your-Own. The Combo Plan covers major components of all 21 items covered in the Systems and Appliances Plans, including air conditioning and heating. The Appliances Plan covers major components of 10 appliances, including the refrigerator, dishwasher, clothes washer, and dryer.

The Systems Plan covers major components of 11 home systems, including heating, air conditioning, plumbing, and electrical. Finally, the Build-Your-Own Plan allows homeowners to pick and choose 10 items from a list of 21 systems and appliances to cover.

American Home Shield warranty options also include coverage for real estate professionals and contractors. A detailed list of all warranty plans and included appliances and systems is as follows:

Combo Plan

• Air conditioner and ductwork
  • Heating and ductwork
  • Electrical
  • Doorbells
  • Smoke detectors
  • Ceiling fans
  • Plumbing (including stoppages)
  • Water heater

• Electrical
  • Doorbells
  • Smoke detectors
  • Ceiling fans
  • Plumbing (including stoppages)
  • Water heaters
  • Garbage disposals
  • Instant hot/cold water dispensers
  • Central vacuums

Add-On Options

• Electronics Plan by Asurion ($18)
  • Pool and in-ground spa (pool and in-ground spa only $13.33 per month; pool and in-ground spa equipment: $13.99 per month)
  • Guest unit (extend coverage to unit less than 750 square feet: $12.99 per month)
  • Septic pump (available first year of warranty only: $2.50 per month)
  • Well pump serving as home water source ($7.08 per month)

Build-Your-Own Plan

• Homeowners can add any system or appliance to their plan not currently covered in their chosen package.

Multiple Fee Options

With American Home Shield, customers pay a trade service call fee for a professional to help them with their problem, then fix the system or appliance or replace it. The three options for this service fee are $75, $100, and $125, which gives customers flexibility in how much they pay each month for their plan coverage. The higher the trade service call fee, the lower the amount the customer will pay each month.

Upfront Contract Information

American Home Shield offers a sample contract on its website, making it easy for customers to get an idea of what the company offers. American Home Shield also states upfront that the company does not require a home inspection in order to purchase a warranty plan and will not limit coverage based on the age of any of your home systems or appliances, making it easier for customers to get warranty coverage.

This upfront contract information helps the customer decide early on if American Home Shield is a home warranty company that will work for their needs.

No Home Inspection

Unlike some home warranty providers, American Home Shield does not require a home inspection or maintenance records before using its services. The company also does not decline coverage based on the age of your systems and appliances. This is convenient for customers who want a simple home warranty process and don't want to worry about a home inspection process to discover what systems and appliances are covered and what ones aren't.

Referral Bonus

American Home Shield offers a referral program for its customers. If you refer a friend to its services, AHS will reward you with a $25 Amazon gift card. The company's website doesn't specify whether or not you can receive the referral bonus more than once, so check with an AHS representative to be sure.

Discounted Air Filters

As part of your AHS customer perks, you can get up to 50 percent off retail prices on air conditioning and furnace filters. American Home Shield will also deliver the filters directly to your home. However, it is unclear whether or not you have to pay extra for delivery, so check with the company to be sure.

Sample Service Contract

American Home Shield has a sample contract available online. According to our research, a majority of 1-star reviews for the home warranty industry involve claim denials that are typically outlined in the contract, such as damage that is beyond the scope of normal wear and tear, damages covered by another warranty such as a manufacturer's warranty, and damages from not following building codes.

American Home Shield ensures that you can see the terms outlined in a sample contract and be aware of the offered coverage.

The Bad

• Customer Complaints
  • Lack of Monthly Pricing Information

Customer Complaints

Common customer complaints for American Home Shield range from rising warranty prices to bad customer service processes. There have also been complaints regarding the company's network of service technicians handling repairs, with some customers waiting days for a local technician only to have multiple faulty repairs. You can read American Home Shield reviews below to find out what else customers have to say about how they think American Home Shield warranty compares to other service providers.

Lack of Monthly Pricing Information

American Home Shield does not provide any information about monthly pricing on its website. Interested consumers are encouraged to obtain a quote from the company for more information on pricing.

The Bottom Line

There is a lot of good to say about American Home Shield. The company has extensive experience in the home warranty industry and offers discount programs, extensive coverage of many home appliances and systems, and options when it comes to trade service call fees. Its plan customization makes it simple for customers to find the right home warranty for their needs.

Being the founder of the home warranty industry, American Home Shield has extensive experience to back up its name. Many warranty companies are not as experienced as AHS, and this may result in quality issues.

If you're interested in learning more about the American Home Shield warranty experience, such as customer service and claim response time, check out American Home Shield reviews below. The company may be the right provider for you to protect your home's systems and appliances against regular wear and tear and other common malfunctions.

View Best Home Warranty Companies

3.9

Anonymous Haymarket, VA

Poor service, can't get billing correct--goes up every year, bad service reps and companies.

Reply from American Home Shield

I hate to hear you were not satisfied with your experience with us and I would like to connect with you regarding it.

Jenn Salisbury, MD

The contractor messed up my water heater looking for the valve to shut the water off which was NOT even the reason I called!!! And they believe him when he said he didn’t😑 They told me in order to get it fixed or looked @ I would have to pay them $75! When it was NOTHING wrong with it before the plumber got there!! So now it’s under “investigation” I will update in 10 days that’s how long the investigation takes until then I’m mopping my floor from water!

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Jenn, I hate to hear about your most recent AHS experience to have the water heater repaired. I would be glad to speak with you about the delay.

Patricia Aaron Gretna, NE

Communication is difficult. No feedback from service provider in many cases. Information within my account is not adequate. Very difficult to speak to someone who really understands what I'm asking and who can respond adequately.

Lana Houston, TX

They were professional and very courteous

Reply from American Home Shield

Thanks for letting us know everything worked out great for you.

Denise Tinsley Reisterstown, MD

I have a stove in my living room it has been over 2 weeks and 8 phone calls waiting for an installer

Apr. 9th, 2021

K Northridge, CA

Before we get the service, we have to go through a hard process and we must pay before we get the service. Their customer service sucks.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi K, Thank you for bringing the issues to our attention. We hate to hear about your unsatisfactory customer service experience and would be glad to speak with you.

Tim

Unable to speak to a supervisor, kept on hold 38 minutes then call was hung up

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Tim, Thank you for bringing the issues to our attention. We hate to hear about your unsatisfactory customer service experience and would be glad to speak with you.

Belinda Faura Dallas, TX

They’re expensive and the people they send aren’t the best.

J Missouri City, TX

Rare for them to cover services at my older home

Yalanda Thompkins Fresno, CA

Slow in refunding and sending out service tech who do not do a good job and constantly requesting service for the same appliances.

Anonymous, long-term policy holder Arlington, TX

The annual cost of the service often rivals the cost of repairing or replacing an appliance, especially considering the cost of service fees and the work not covered by the policies.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi, Thank you for bringing the issues to our attention regarding the cost to repair. We hate to hear about your unsatisfactory customer service experience and would be glad to speak with you.

Jackie Lexington Park, MD

They are taking way to long to respond and approve repairs now. Not like they were in the past.

Debra L Miller Austin, TX

Very poor customer service. I waited 2 weeks for a new water heater over Christmas and no rep helped me. They just told me it was in the hands of the contractor. It was a nightmare.

PG Jackson, NJ

As a first time client with AHS, there is nothing worthy to rave about on my experience on work service. I'm already looking into other warranty companies that can fill in that gap. AHS needs to focus on their contractors within in-network. AHS tend to hire ANY CONTRACTORS within their companies budget - which leads to unsatisfactory customers feedback. AHS should read their contractors reviews and work status on how well they solve issues. You're one of the lucky ones if you get a real professional show up at your door to do the job and get the job done efficiently without the runarounds. I'm currently still under authorization for my water heater to be evaluated (took 3 different contractors to come to the house for comparisons just to take a picture). Next week would be a month with this mess and nothing has been resolved. Service request payment gone to waste.

Ken Canyon, TX

My faucet still leaks. That was what they were suppose to fix.

Kari Gregory, MI

It took over six weeks to get our fridge replaced. We called everyday and got no where. Finally after the second visit from the repairman he finally called them while he was at our home to let him no that the part for our fridge was unavailable. But they new this after two weeks after the first visit. After the last visit from the contractor AHS did finally approve a replacement and we recieved a check for our fridge to be replaced but we had to go purchase a new fridge and send them proof of the new fridge. That part of the warranty was awful because if you don’t have three thousand dollars to purchase a new fridge then your screwed. Fortunately we had the money to do this. Once we sent them the receipt that we purchased a new fridge they finally sent us our check for the replacement but that took another two weeks. I do hope in the future if we ever need help from AHS that we don’t go through the nightmare that we went through with this one.

Maggie Laveen, AZ

I called friday afternoon about the fact my AIr Conditoner broke AGAIN after 33 days of being fixed. The first time it caught on fire, well it did it again, it caught on fire AGAIN!!! The agent said he would call me right back, BUT NEVER DID!!!

Serita Saint Charles, MO

I had a faucet leak. Plumber said it was because, I did not have a Pressure regulator valve on my pipe. It was not on my pipe when I bought my house. But, my warranty covers this. My warranty did not pay to fix the problem because the pressure regulator was not already installed. I did not agree with this. I paid to fix the problem. Not happy about this.

Robert Currie Austin, TX

Untrustworthy. Poor customer service. Unresponsive. Overall poor experience.

Mar. 26th, 2021

Shalonda Ousley Sacramento, CA

The Quality of companies they send and if you have an issue with the company it’s hard to get someone else.

Sunitha Menamparampil Missouri City, TX

Very poor customer service , no good direct call number and long wait time in case call them

DOUGLAS FISH Walnut Creek, CA

THEY DO NOT COMMUNICATE WELL AND CONTINUALLY FAIL TO FOLLOW THROUGH ON THEIR COMMITMENTS

MG Waco, TX

Some of the repair companies look for loophole not to repair service , but they still get the $100.00 serviced call money.

Mar. 29th, 2021

PAMELA BOSTROM Seminole, FL

AHS fixed my refrigerator 5 times, would not replace, and still the icemaker does not work. They will do anything before replacing an appliance no matter how much in inconveniences you.

Mar. 29th, 2021

Christina Parsons Jonesboro, GA

I am paying $100 a month and still have to continue paying additional money out my pocket for services or parts

William Eagle River, AK

For all claims I have made they made me look for a provider and then declined coverage.

Sharieda Patterson Pittsburgh, PA

Did not have a good interaction for the first call made, too many hidden costs, does not cover what was expected

Junetta Turnage Accokeek, MD

They make promises they do not keep. They are difficult to reach. They tell customers different info than they tell the contractors.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Junetta, Thank you for making us aware of your most recent experience. I would be glad to speak with you to get the electrical issues resolved.

Barbara Feldman Naderi Goose Creek, SC

Took a really long time to get another service provider

Christopher Genesse Lawton, OK

I've had several issues with my HVAC and the Memphis, Tennessee office has not listened to the customer at all and has not been cooperative and I sent an email and they sent my email back to me. Very unsatisfied and paid completely out of pocket for the entire system to be replaced. AHS has poor customer service!

Tom Maloney Barnegat, NJ

They were not easy to deal with and the process took very long

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Tom, I would be glad to speak with you about the delay in service that was experienced.

Spencer Temecula, CA

There’s no way to email or text or live chat with them, you have to spend hours on hold and you always end up speaking with someone that doesn’t speak English and cannot make independent decisions.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Spencer, I would be glad to speak with you about your experience and the hold time.

Aaron Burnett Owings Mills, MD

Lately my experience has been very bad by not honoring original assigned repair contractor GE and reassignment to another substandard contractor

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Aaron, Thank you for bringing your most recent AHS experience to our attention. I would be glad to speak with you to get the issues resolved.

Harris Samuels New Smyrna Beach, FL

They often send unqualified plumbers. In the contract fine print they have ways to weasel out of expensive A/C repairs. Replacement appliances may be the wrong color.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Harris, I hate to hear about the AC repairs that had additional non covered cost associated to complete to job. I would be glad to speak with you.

Kimberly Brickers Cleveland, OH

my first service concern with ahs was with my washer and dryer service request began in November2020 parts orderedand came back after parts arrived still partially fixed more parts ordered return and install ordered parts to dryer its running but still stalling when turned on cant get dryer to work so order more parts cant locate parts call ahs and they say looking for parts cant find after weeks of calling ahs now says parts on back order will be available March2021 so now its March 2021 and there are still no parts not understanding why i have gotten the run around and my washer and dryer have not been replaced i have used ahs for plumbing and electrical work but do to this experience it takes away for my over all opinion of ahs as for now i have a very poor and untrustworthy opinion on this home warranty service two thumbs down

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Kimberly, Thank you for bringing this ongoing issue with the dryer to our attention. I would be glad to speak with you to assist with a resolution to the repairs.

Sheila Ronis Chantilly, VA

They have said they will replace my appliance and it is on order but they don't know when it will come in. That doesn't leave me many options.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Sheila, I hate to hear about the delay in service that has been experienced to have the appliance replaced. I would be glad to speak with you to get this resolved.

Mar. 18th, 2021

Iris R. Craighead New Castle, DE

I am very displeased with overall performance and professionalism of serviceman who serviced washer. The Plumber was very detailed and professional BUT the problem still exists with water leaking in sink in Powder Room. It is getting more leakage when water goes out of washer.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Iris, I would be glad to speak with you about the leak service request. I will be contacting you soon.

Sunny Harris Orange Park, FL

I’ve had this problem several times but they finally fired the person that they keep sending over in a new person came in the service was amazing

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Sunny, Thank you for providing us with feedback about your AHS experience. I would be glad to speak with you regarding the technician.

Andres Moreno Winter Springs, FL

Customer service is horrible. Easy to schedule appointments but hard to get clarification on the contract.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Andres, I hate to hear about your most recent customer service experience! I owuld be glad to speak with you.

Mar. 10th, 2021

Jackie Reese Henderson, NV

service rep was professional and knowledge

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Jackie, I would be glad to speak with you regarding your review.

Mar. 10th, 2021

Randy Garden Grove, CA

They find any way they can to not pay for the broken appliances. Toilet No. washer - No. what hood is this?

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Randy, Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I would be glad to speak with you to get the issues resolved.

Jerry Borque Athens, TX

They are almost impossible to contact and when you do get through to them it is almo0st impossible to understand the person, especially for older people. I am still waiting on the payment on the stove that couldn't be fixed in November of 2020.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Jerry, I would be glad to speak with you to refund the payment for the stove service request.

Angel Flores Houston, TX

Because they have many limitations in their coverage

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Angel, I would be glad to speak with you regarding the limitations and exclusions.

Mar. 25th, 2021

Karin Hopman Rockford, MI

Did not expect the additional costs for a repair.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Karin, I would be glad to speak with you about the non covered cost for the repair.

John Graford, TX

They use the fine print to get them out of every claim that will actually happen

Holliday Fort Worth, TX

They don't provide quality service /repair

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Holliday, I hate to hear about the delay that has been experienced with AHS. I would be glad to discuss the issues experienced.

Carl Bixby, OK

Offer rekey service but only after waiting a month

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Carl, I hate to hear about the month delay that has been experienced with AHS. I owuld be glad to discuss the issues experienced.

Jeff Walters, OK

Dishwasher problems reported in November 2020, and the problem wasn't resolved until late February 2021. Just glad it wasn't my heat and air conditioner as we would have frozen to death during recent blizzard.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Jeff, I hate to hear about the dishwasher delay that has been experienced with AHS. I owuld be glad to discuss the issues experienced.

Karen Hutchens Oceanside, CA

Customer service was not helpful. Needed emergency plumbing repair and nothing available on the weekend.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Karen, l hate to hear about your most recent experience to have the issues repaired. I would be glad to speak with you and get the issues resolved!

Unhappy Customer Wayzata, MN

I have had poor experience with one of their subcontractors and have requested a new subcontractor, but they refuse to let me change to a different provider. Even after this provider said that work was completed when they never set foot in our house and when I had to call them back a second time, they did the job incorrectly.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi, Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I would be glad to speak with you to get the issues with your experience resolved.