American Home Shield

8.4

American Home Shield® is the founder of the home warranty industry and is one of the market leaders with over 1.7 million customers. Beginning in 1971, the company's goal has always been to protect homeowners from high, unexpected home repair costs. American Home Shield is affiliated with the home service company Frontdoor.

With its extensive experience in the home warranty business, American Home Shield is a trusted name compared to other service providers in the industry. American Home Shield offers a variety of warranty plans, including a build-your-own plan that allows customers to select the individual systems and appliances they'd like coverage for.

Read American Home Shield reviews below as well as the pros and cons of the company.

The Good

• Time in Business
  • Discount Programs
  • Four Flexible Plans
  • Multiple Fee Options
  • Upfront Contract Information
  • No Home Inspection
  • Referral Bonus
  • Discounted Air Filters
  • Sample Service Contract

Time in Business

American Home Shield has more than 45 years of experience and became the industry founder when it created home warranties back in 1971. American Home Shield now has more than 1.7 million customers and is one of the largest warranty companies in the industry. Being in business for so long is a good indicator that American Home Shield is equipped to give its customers what they want in a home warranty company.

Discount Programs

In addition to its decades of home warranty experience, American Home Shield offers its customers many money-saving incentives, including its Appliance Discount Program. With this discount program, customers save money over MSRP and have Energy Star certified options. Customers can also benefit from American Home Shield's "Refer a Friend" program, which rewards customers with a $25 Amazon gift card for each friend referred. In addition, the company offers discounts on air filters.

Four Flexible Plans

American Home Shield allows customers to choose between four different home warranty plans: Combo, Appliances, Systems, and Build-Your-Own. The Combo Plan covers major components of all 21 items covered in the Systems and Appliances Plans, including air conditioning and heating. The Appliances Plan covers major components of 10 appliances, including the refrigerator, dishwasher, clothes washer, and dryer.

The Systems Plan covers major components of 11 home systems, including heating, air conditioning, plumbing, and electrical. Finally, the Build-Your-Own Plan allows homeowners to pick and choose 10 items from a list of 21 systems and appliances to cover.

American Home Shield warranty options also include coverage for real estate professionals and contractors. A detailed list of all warranty plans and included appliances and systems is as follows:

Combo Plan

• Air conditioner and ductwork
  • Heating and ductwork
  • Electrical
  • Doorbells
  • Smoke detectors
  • Ceiling fans
  • Plumbing (including stoppages)
  • Water heater

• Electrical
  • Doorbells
  • Smoke detectors
  • Ceiling fans
  • Plumbing (including stoppages)
  • Water heaters
  • Garbage disposals
  • Instant hot/cold water dispensers
  • Central vacuums

Add-On Options

• Electronics Plan by Asurion ($18)
  • Pool and in-ground spa (pool and in-ground spa only $13.33 per month; pool and in-ground spa equipment: $13.99 per month)
  • Guest unit (extend coverage to unit less than 750 square feet: $12.99 per month)
  • Septic pump (available first year of warranty only: $2.50 per month)
  • Well pump serving as home water source ($7.08 per month)

Build-Your-Own Plan

• Homeowners can add any system or appliance to their plan not currently covered in their chosen package.

Multiple Fee Options

With American Home Shield, customers pay a trade service call fee for a professional to help them with their problem, then fix the system or appliance or replace it. The three options for this service fee are $75, $100, and $125, which gives customers flexibility in how much they pay each month for their plan coverage. The higher the trade service call fee, the lower the amount the customer will pay each month.

Upfront Contract Information

American Home Shield offers a sample contract on its website, making it easy for customers to get an idea of what the company offers. American Home Shield also states upfront that the company does not require a home inspection in order to purchase a warranty plan and will not limit coverage based on the age of any of your home systems or appliances, making it easier for customers to get warranty coverage.

This upfront contract information helps the customer decide early on if American Home Shield is a home warranty company that will work for their needs.

No Home Inspection

Unlike some home warranty providers, American Home Shield does not require a home inspection or maintenance records before using its services. The company also does not decline coverage based on the age of your systems and appliances. This is convenient for customers who want a simple home warranty process and don't want to worry about a home inspection process to discover what systems and appliances are covered and what ones aren't.

Referral Bonus

American Home Shield offers a referral program for its customers. If you refer a friend to its services, AHS will reward you with a $25 Amazon gift card. The company's website doesn't specify whether or not you can receive the referral bonus more than once, so check with an AHS representative to be sure.

Discounted Air Filters

As part of your AHS customer perks, you can get up to 50 percent off retail prices on air conditioning and furnace filters. American Home Shield will also deliver the filters directly to your home. However, it is unclear whether or not you have to pay extra for delivery, so check with the company to be sure.

Sample Service Contract

American Home Shield has a sample contract available online. According to our research, a majority of 1-star reviews for the home warranty industry involve claim denials that are typically outlined in the contract, such as damage that is beyond the scope of normal wear and tear, damages covered by another warranty such as a manufacturer's warranty, and damages from not following building codes.

American Home Shield ensures that you can see the terms outlined in a sample contract and be aware of the offered coverage.

The Bad

• Customer Complaints
  • Lack of Monthly Pricing Information

Customer Complaints

Common customer complaints for American Home Shield range from rising warranty prices to bad customer service processes. There have also been complaints regarding the company's network of service technicians handling repairs, with some customers waiting days for a local technician only to have multiple faulty repairs. You can read American Home Shield reviews below to find out what else customers have to say about how they think American Home Shield warranty compares to other service providers.

Lack of Monthly Pricing Information

American Home Shield does not provide any information about monthly pricing on its website. Interested consumers are encouraged to obtain a quote from the company for more information on pricing.

The Bottom Line

There is a lot of good to say about American Home Shield. The company has extensive experience in the home warranty industry and offers discount programs, extensive coverage of many home appliances and systems, and options when it comes to trade service call fees. Its plan customization makes it simple for customers to find the right home warranty for their needs.

Being the founder of the home warranty industry, American Home Shield has extensive experience to back up its name. Many warranty companies are not as experienced as AHS, and this may result in quality issues.

If you're interested in learning more about the American Home Shield warranty experience, such as customer service and claim response time, check out American Home Shield reviews below. The company may be the right provider for you to protect your home's systems and appliances against regular wear and tear and other common malfunctions.

View Best Home Warranty Companies

3.9

Sheila Johns Santa Monica, CA

The absolute worst company!!!! I have been dealing with a broken oven for over 2 years just to get refurbished system board which has been replaced 3 times now. I have a broken oven with no resolution and keep getting the run around from the group not to mention multiple people coming into my house with Covid-19 and have a very high risk person that if got Covid -19 would die. I also have 3 toilets not working and have been trying to get a vendor that actually knows plumbing…they send out vendors that do no shows, or show up say I need this part and never return nor return calls. This company should be shut down due to their business practices. I would not use this company, spare yourself the frustration, money and time!!!!!CROOKS!!!!!!

1 day ago

Kim Kempton San Mateo, CA

They replaced my water heater with an inferior product. Now they won't communicate with me or rectify the situation. Only offshore call centers handling calls, so frustrating!! We can't even wash a dish and take shower without running completely out of hot water. I'm so disappointed. Plus their vendor/installer took me for an additional $660. They have been out here three times to fix my refrigerator and not it is doing the same thing again. Had to pay another $100 to get them to come out for the 4th time!!! Please contact me if you want the whole story on the water heater, it was as SHADY AS IT GETS!

Lynne Conway, SC

Because we waited five months for a part to make my range oven functional. That included Christmas and Thanksgiving with no operating range.

Yazan Sacramento, CA

Terrible company. Everything is not covered

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Yazan, I hate to hear about your most recent AHS experience to have the issues repaired. I would be glad to speak with you.

Ron Butler Fayetteville, NC

Poor communication & vender responses were inaccurate or non-existent

Claudia and Leigh Bonner The Colony, TX

I've been asking for a refund for nearly 4 months. I have called many times and everytime they ASSURE me they will refund the $100 Charge that was a mistake and they air conditioning people they send out are liars and don't keep the correct notes regarding visites.

B. R. Seattle, WA

First attempt to schedule a service, and it's been 5 weeks, 6 phone calls with them + 3 calls with contractors. Still not fixed. Reps have no ability to resolve anything, and they're always punting to the "authorization department" that never gets back to me.

Apr. 9th, 2021

Mark Germantown, TN

I'm in a never-ending loop of trying to get a repair done

Christine Virginia Beach, VA

Terrible customer service. Took a month to get an answer on my plumbing issue. I had to call every week for the past month and kept getting promises that my issue would be handled. Now I have a home inspection set up and still no resolution. On the third time I called they tried to tell me that the technician deemed the appliance to be broken from not normal west and tear. Which is completely opposite of what the technician told me AND what he wrote on his work order which I plan to email to your company.

Ellen Cyr Hiawassee, GA

Takes too much time to replace an item and lack of professional to do a job where I had to find a plumber instead of the company.

Peggy Brasington Prescott, AZ

They contract with plumber whi is just looking to add charges, not covered by AHS. Plumber called a failing original 18 year old toilet flapper as having abnormal wear and tear because it was hardening. How long is a rubber flapper supposed to last...30 years!!!

Robert Turner Trabuco Canyon, CA

Terrible follow-through. I am still waiting on a service since January. If it is not done by next week, I am going to call in another plumber and take you to court to recover all of my money. And them let all of my neighbors know what has happened.

Steven Chula Vista, CA

Didn't finish the job. Claimed parts needed to be replaced that they would not pay for

Michael Tinker Fairfield, IA

I have a heat pump out for over a week and no contractor has been contacted. Act like the miserable health insurers

Jefferson Dowling Ladys Island, SC

Non responsive, scripted answers, poor customer service, unable to contact supervisor, impossible to get assistance, always uses out of town vendors, will not return calls

Lametrice Neal Antioch, CA

Because I have to wait until May 9, 2021 to get my dishwasher repaired. I feel like I should just buy a new one.

Danny San Antonio, TX

I guess i should have red AHS fine print ...I had to pay over 1000 dollars because AC company you guys sent told me i need some new parts that according to their technician said i already had so that company gave me two different stories ..tech located in san antonio was very knowledgeble ...but the corporate person i spoke to was very rude he asked me questions that he knew i wouldnt know about AC and i answered and he said i was wrong ...of course i was wrong i am a radio person not AC person..very rude CHUCK was very rude ..I wish you and all home warranties would choose respectable companys that i see on the Teli instead you guys send companys that i have never heard of ....

David M San Antonio, TX

Coverage is poor and customer service is difficult to contact. Waited over 1/2 hr to speak to a rep. Also, my rate almost doubled in price.

Anonymous King George, VA

The customer service is deplorable. It so bad you feel helpless and you pay too much to feel that way.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi, Thank you for bringing the issues to our attention. We hate to hear about your unsatisfactory customer service experience.

Liz Ellicott City, MD

I have been a customer for many years, and the AHS experience gets worse every year. During the past year, I have been on hold literally for hours waiting to speak with an agent. Clearly it is a foreign call center - for many agents, obviously English is not their native language. And unfortunately, the quality of the contractors has deteriorated to the point that it is no longer worth the hassle. This is the year that I cancel. For good.

David Barlow Williston, VT

THIS IS A SCAM...DO NOT FALL FOR IT! My "warranty" came with the house I purchased so I thought I would give it a shot and set up a service call. I paid my $100 deductible and set up a visit with a plumber. You are only allowed to include up to 4 items for each visit. NOTHING was taken care of. I was told I could only get the one thing (leaking garbage disposal) covered but to do so I needed to pay an additional $595 to replace the trap. Are you kidding me?!? I kicked the guy out of my house. Thankfully I used a CC for the $100 because I will be disputing the charge for not getting what I paid for. DO NOT SPEND A DIME WITH THESE GUYS!

Allen Elliott Cypress, TX

I've been with AHS for years. They've been good with most things but for some reason they can't seem to fix a refrigerator. Several years ago I had an issue with a regrigerator that drug on for 10 months until I finally bought a new one. Never fixed the issue, just kept sending the same contrator out and they'd change a different part. The rest of my service has been good until now. In October, we noticed that our refrigerator was leaking on the wooden floor in our kitchen. I opened a ticket and a contractor was assigned. The contrator came out a total of 5 times and replaced various parts First time it was the seal on the freezer but it kept leaking. Next they replaced the heating unit and coil in the freezer but it still leaked. Finally they replaced the coil and heating unit in the refrigerator and that seemed to fix the issue. Six weeks later it started leaking again. Since it had been over 30 days, I had to open (and pay for) another ticket. Again a contractor was assigned. The contractor came out and decided that multiple parts in the refrigerator needed to be replaced. Once again the coil was to be replaced. That was on February 11th and as of now ( March 6th) the contractor has never come back out to install the parts. My AHS ticket shows a status of "parts ordered". I spoke to the contractor and they tell me that they are waiting for parts from AHS. When I talk to AHS they say that the contractor should have the parts. Every time I call AHS, they tell me that they need to talk to the contractor and that they will get back to me. So far I have never received a return call from AHS and I'm still waiting on parts. When I call AHS, I get a person in a call center and all they can do is read from a script. I've asked multiple times to have my issue escalated to someone who can do something about it but they just tell me that they have to talk to the contractor first. AHS is telling me that they haven't been able to get in touch with their contractor. My reply is that if they've been unable to contact their contractor for weeks then that's an issue and something needs to be done about it. The net result is that with the exception of a 6 week period, I've had water leaking from my refrigerator onto the wooden floor in my kitchen and AHS hasn't fixed the issue. I'm not sure why it seems to be refrigerators where I have issues with AHS. As I said, they've been good on most other thing but this is getting ridiculous.

Nita D.C. Baltimore, MD

American Home Shield is in bed with United Air Temp in Virginia. These 2 have been in bed together since 200o. At least, thats how far the complaints about them scamming AHS customers go back. The scam goes like this: AHS doesn't want to cover your covered hvac problem, so they send out a sales rep ( not a service tech) to crawl around your system to find some reason why you need something not covered by AHS. Then comes the sales pitch. If you don't buy a whole new system or whatever UAT wants to sell you, you're toast anyway bc the bogus diagnostic report they send to AHS calls for items not covered. Read UAT reviews, they all basically say the same thing. These are salesmen. I just thank goodness the sales tech didn't tamper with anything else while he was here. When I tried to cancel AHS they offered another company to come out. That company ATR had horrific reviews. I can't let them in here to tamper.

Anonymous Redmond, WA

Repairs have taken up to 4 months; they promise reimbursement but don’t do it; they don’t value customers time; they reassign jobs to the same vendors who don’t respond to the same

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi, I hate to hear about the four month delay that was experienced with American Home Shield. I owuld be glad to speak with you to get the issues resolved.

Raymond Frison Fayetteville, NC

Not attentive to my issues. Could not understand the customer service reprresentative.

Alexander Livanos Manhattan Beach, CA

The service techs are late, rude, and don't know how to fix things.

Mary Walters Amarillo, TX

A simple hot water replacement. Its a long story of failed communication between A-1, the Plumber, and AHS. I reserved one day after another missing out on work assignments. Extremely frustrating and disappointing

Reply from American Home Shield

Thanks for your feedback. We love to hear when we have provided fast and professional service. And we are always here if you need us.

David Mc Kinney, TX

We added pool coverage on our insurance, we made two requests to get help with our pool equipment, none was covered

Dawn Harper Battle Ground, WA

Doesn’t feel legitimate. Customer service is almost nonexistent. Don’t try calling, a person will never answer. We’ve requested service for a couple of issues, but the ‘companies’ assigned to us were impossible to contact. Finally we got one thing fixed. I don’t know why this company gets good reviews. It must be employees and their relatives, because this has been nothing but a night for us. I’m switching companies ASAP

Catherine Morris Santa Barbara, CA

So far neither of the companies that have come to do work have seemed very competent.

Marc San Francisco, CA

Nothing was solved - my washer was not fix and was told that it does not qualify under the 30 day guaranteed even thou the tech arrived to work on the unit and marked it completed on 3/12

Joe Sarasota, FL

Don’t deliver as promised. Small print excludes too many items from repair. Only replace with builders grade junk.

Jared Wesson Savannah, TN

A claim was denied- I bought a house and the inspector missed a significant issue with the A/C unit. Now I am having to come out of pocket for a new compressor. I had to pay 75$ for a tech to come look at under the warranty agreement but nothing was done. Why even have the coverage if it won’t apply? It’s criminal. It’s not my fault that the inspector didn’t do his job. Having this is supposed to help if something is wrong within the first year.

Jennifer Portsmouth, VA

In the past they’ve been great but with this last repair they have been absolutely terrible!

Elizabeth McCorkle Eugene, OR

1. Misleading: Was told at sign up that I could choose my contractors (not true at all). 2. Poor customer service: Have contacted customer service three times with promise by rep that there would be a call back. Never happened even when one rep gave me a specific time that I would receive a callback. 3. Terrible contracted service providers. Heat company came out and told me that the problem was due to poor maintenance and that AHS would not cover the issue so I would have to pay them myself (not true per AHS contract). They did not fix the problem. I paid an independent service provider to evaluate the issue (rotted heat exchanger). When asked the AHS provider admitted they had never checked the heat exchanger at either of its visits 4. Money waster - I paid $75 for the fraudulent service provider to come out. I paid $125 for an independent assessment. Now AHS is insisting on YET ANOTHER contractor come out to provide an opinion. I have had to take 4 days off of work for these shenanigans. I will have to take another day off for this new contractor (who has not called me to schedule despite being assigned to the project 48 hours ago. Oh, and when you call his number goes straight to voicemail which is full so I can't call then myself). The actual amount of dollars and time I have expended already is ridiculous and the problem is still unfixed. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY

Anonymous Ladson, SC

Poor service I would never recommend anyone I did not want to even give them 1 Star for this survey but it is the only way you can complete it. You have employees that do not give correct information. How can someone overseas help me and you can never get a supervisor on the phone?

Sandra Grady Roswell, NM

Never follow thru with orders just leave me hanging come on 2mo. to get refrigerator.

P. Barnes Clinton, MD

AHS lack of concern with improper installation of my water heater, failure to provide a timely appointment and lack of followup to ensure issues were resolved was a disappointment after years of having the service and little to no use.

Mike Oliver Eagle, ID

They are not honoring their agreement to repair or replace my fridge.

Judith Montgomery, TX

You wait on hold forever and only deal with a call center that barely speaks English.

Irum Abbasi Fort Worth, TX

They left the work incomplete and it took three weeks to have someone come for the job after the initial technician couldnot fix the problem .

James Blue Ridge, TX

Very poor customer service, hard selling

Gary Paul Sedacca Daytona Beach, FL

Horrible service the technician didn't fix my faucet correctly in November and in Mach finally got a refund

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Gary, I would be glad to speak with you to get the faucet correctly repaired.

Mar. 25th, 2021

Arthur Stepanyan Bloomfield Hills, MI

This company is a scam, paid for the whole year, paid for a service visit, a month in being told part is not covered. Tried to cancel the warranty after one month of service - they keep 90% of the money, worst scam ever

Reply from American Home Shield

Thanks for sharing your experience. We hate to hear your coverage was not approved under the terms of the contract. We are here if you need us for any covered items but the reason for the malfunction must fall within the contract guidelines.

Alison Bhattacharyya Honolulu, HI

Won’t pay for a service that was incorrectly diagnosed as a maintenance issue by first technician. I had to call a experienced Viking service man and it cost me 379.00 plus 75.00 service fee for the first technician who didn’t solve anything.

Charles Freadhoff Playa Del Rey, CA

I had one claim in six (maybe it was seven) years and they denied it.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Charles, I would be glad to speak with you to get the issues resolved.

Mar. 25th, 2021

Dennis Chicago, IL

This is the most horrible company I have ever dealt with their customer service sucks they have people in the Philippines who are reading from a script I had water in my basement for seven days without the assistance they called a contractor out who came out lied and told them that the service can be fixed I had to do a second opinion with you and the other guy came out and got it done this is the most bogus company I have ever ever dealt with and I wish I have never did business with them

Lydia Gainey Stockbridge, GA

The service is poor and the customer service is poor. I paid for things that still aren't fixed.

Sheronda Williams Bay City, TX

Because I pay for this service and Comfort Air tried to rip me off. I still haven't heard from anyone about a cash out.

Mar. 27th, 2021

Kimberly Alexander Corpus Christi, TX

I've been waiting for my AC to be fixed since Oct 25th!!

Reply from American Home Shield

I hate to hear you were not satisfied with your experience with us and I would like to connect with you regarding it. Please provide your AHS contract number or full property address along with your email address and I will follow up with you from there.