Best Company badge 10,000 Reviews American Home Shield Logo

American Home Shield

8.6

American Home Shield® is the founder of the home warranty industry and is one of the market leaders with over 1.7 million customers. Beginning in 1971, the company's goal has always been to protect homeowners from high, unexpected home repair costs. American Home Shield is affiliated with the home service company Frontdoor.

With its extensive experience in the home warranty business, American Home Shield is a trusted name compared to other service providers in the industry. American Home Shield offers a variety of warranty plans, including a build-your-own plan that allows customers to select the individual systems and appliances they'd like coverage for.

Read American Home Shield reviews below as well as the pros and cons of the company.

The Good

• Time in Business
  • Discount Programs
  • Four Flexible Plans
  • Multiple Fee Options
  • Upfront Contract Information
  • No Home Inspection
  • Referral Bonus
  • Discounted Air Filters
  • Sample Service Contract

Time in Business

American Home Shield has more than 45 years of experience and became the industry founder when it created home warranties back in 1971. American Home Shield now has more than 1.7 million customers and is one of the largest warranty companies in the industry. Being in business for so long is a good indicator that American Home Shield is equipped to give its customers what they want in a home warranty company.

Discount Programs

In addition to its decades of home warranty experience, American Home Shield offers its customers many money-saving incentives, including its Appliance Discount Program. With this discount program, customers save money over MSRP and have Energy Star certified options. Customers can also benefit from American Home Shield's "Refer a Friend" program, which rewards customers with a $25 Amazon gift card for each friend referred. In addition, the company offers discounts on air filters.

Four Flexible Plans

American Home Shield allows customers to choose between four different home warranty plans: Combo, Appliances, Systems, and Build-Your-Own. The Combo Plan covers major components of all 21 items covered in the Systems and Appliances Plans, including air conditioning and heating. The Appliances Plan covers major components of 10 appliances, including the refrigerator, dishwasher, clothes washer, and dryer.

The Systems Plan covers major components of 11 home systems, including heating, air conditioning, plumbing, and electrical. Finally, the Build-Your-Own Plan allows homeowners to pick and choose 10 items from a list of 21 systems and appliances to cover.

American Home Shield warranty options also include coverage for real estate professionals and contractors. A detailed list of all warranty plans and included appliances and systems is as follows:

Combo Plan

• Air conditioner and ductwork
  • Heating and ductwork
  • Electrical
  • Doorbells
  • Smoke detectors
  • Ceiling fans
  • Plumbing (including stoppages)
  • Water heater

• Electrical
  • Doorbells
  • Smoke detectors
  • Ceiling fans
  • Plumbing (including stoppages)
  • Water heaters
  • Garbage disposals
  • Instant hot/cold water dispensers
  • Central vacuums

Add-On Options

• Electronics Plan by Asurion ($18)
  • Pool and in-ground spa (pool and in-ground spa only $13.33 per month; pool and in-ground spa equipment: $13.99 per month)
  • Guest unit (extend coverage to unit less than 750 square feet: $12.99 per month)
  • Septic pump (available first year of warranty only: $2.50 per month)
  • Well pump serving as home water source ($7.08 per month)

Build-Your-Own Plan

• Homeowners can add any system or appliance to their plan not currently covered in their chosen package.

Multiple Fee Options

With American Home Shield, customers pay a trade service call fee for a professional to help them with their problem, then fix the system or appliance or replace it. The three options for this service fee are $75, $100, and $125, which gives customers flexibility in how much they pay each month for their plan coverage. The higher the trade service call fee, the lower the amount the customer will pay each month.

Upfront Contract Information

American Home Shield offers a sample contract on its website, making it easy for customers to get an idea of what the company offers. American Home Shield also states upfront that the company does not require a home inspection in order to purchase a warranty plan and will not limit coverage based on the age of any of your home systems or appliances, making it easier for customers to get warranty coverage.

This upfront contract information helps the customer decide early on if American Home Shield is a home warranty company that will work for their needs.

No Home Inspection

Unlike some home warranty providers, American Home Shield does not require a home inspection or maintenance records before using its services. The company also does not decline coverage based on the age of your systems and appliances. This is convenient for customers who want a simple home warranty process and don't want to worry about a home inspection process to discover what systems and appliances are covered and what ones aren't.

Referral Bonus

American Home Shield offers a referral program for its customers. If you refer a friend to its services, AHS will reward you with a $25 Amazon gift card. The company's website doesn't specify whether or not you can receive the referral bonus more than once, so check with an AHS representative to be sure.

Discounted Air Filters

As part of your AHS customer perks, you can get up to 50 percent off retail prices on air conditioning and furnace filters. American Home Shield will also deliver the filters directly to your home. However, it is unclear whether or not you have to pay extra for delivery, so check with the company to be sure.

Sample Service Contract

American Home Shield has a sample contract available online. According to our research, a majority of 1-star reviews for the home warranty industry involve claim denials that are typically outlined in the contract, such as damage that is beyond the scope of normal wear and tear, damages covered by another warranty such as a manufacturer's warranty, and damages from not following building codes.

American Home Shield ensures that you can see the terms outlined in a sample contract and be aware of the offered coverage.

The Bad

• Customer Complaints
  • Lack of Monthly Pricing Information

Customer Complaints

Common customer complaints for American Home Shield range from rising warranty prices to bad customer service processes. There have also been complaints regarding the company's network of service technicians handling repairs, with some customers waiting days for a local technician only to have multiple faulty repairs. You can read American Home Shield reviews below to find out what else customers have to say about how they think American Home Shield warranty compares to other service providers.

Lack of Monthly Pricing Information

American Home Shield does not provide any information about monthly pricing on its website. Interested consumers are encouraged to obtain a quote from the company for more information on pricing.

The Bottom Line

There is a lot of good to say about American Home Shield. The company has extensive experience in the home warranty industry and offers discount programs, extensive coverage of many home appliances and systems, and options when it comes to trade service call fees. Its plan customization makes it simple for customers to find the right home warranty for their needs.

Being the founder of the home warranty industry, American Home Shield has extensive experience to back up its name. Many warranty companies are not as experienced as AHS, and this may result in quality issues.

If you're interested in learning more about the American Home Shield warranty experience, such as customer service and claim response time, check out American Home Shield reviews below. The company may be the right provider for you to protect your home's systems and appliances against regular wear and tear and other common malfunctions.

View Best Home Warranty Companies

3.9

Joshua Miller Trenton, NJ

I purchased an American home shield warranty in hopes that I wouldn’t need to worry about surprises with home repairs however after my warranty heater exploded I called to make a claim after waiting for almost two weeks without water in water in my home a broke down a paid a company to replace it for my I was given no update last to what was going on promised over a dozen times someone would call me back as the call center workers in India have no clue what’s going on. By far the worst I’ve ever been treated and th le biggest waste of time and money. I don’t believe that anyone that’s posted a good review about this company are real people.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Joshua. I am sorry to hear that you were not contacted to address your service issue. I would be happy to speak with you to assist with a resolution to this matter.

Marie Waldorf, MD

Put in a claim for AC repair in early June. It’s now almost the end of July and this has not been resolved. The contractor was prompt and submitted the report. This has been one of the hottest summers and every time I call back I’m told they have 24-48 hours to resolve but this has been over a month. I’m also placed on hold for long wait times of 30 minutes then told there’s no manager available to speak with me and they will contact me once a solution has been obtained. I’ve been a customer for many years with little no claims. I pay my bill on time every month and this is the service received for being a loyal customer.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Marie. I am very sorry to hear that the issue with your air conditioing has not been resolved yet. I would be happy to speak with you and assist with resolving this issue.

Michael Thomas Geneva, FL

Terrible- sent a very bad plumber to my home to fux hot water tank and 10 days later, we still do t have any hot water. The ci tractor AHS sent filled our home with propane and we had remove ourselves and children from the home. Needless to say the plumber aent had no exerience working with a propane water heater. i called AHS to request they send someone else put that wss not a threat to our safety and they refused to and said we wouls have to pay a penalty if we did not accept their contractor We ended up hiring Frank Gay Plumbing and they cane out and diagnosed the problem and replaced our 16 year old hot water tank with a new one. It coat us $2000 but we are alive. I called AHS to see if they would cover the new tank ans they said they would submit a request. No word back from them.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Michael. I am sorry to hear about the experience you had with getting your water heater issue taken care of. I would be happy to speak with you and assist with a resolution.

Boris Monar Cypress, TX

A water pipe burst in the attic somewhere in June. Unfortunately, we found about it just a couple of hours later because of the water stains on a ceiling and the adjacent wall in one of the bedrooms. We called the AHS right away and the first available technician came in two days. In the meantime, we had to keep the water turned off in our whole house to limit the additional damage to our interior. Additionally, we've collected the spilled water when the pressure was on (for our family bathroom needs). The technician came, fixed the pipe, but nothing else was fixed by AHS. AHS just closed the case after that. No additional help was offeref to fix the ceiling and walls damaged. When we reported the issue, we even checked the "with additional damage" option. But AHS never covered the additional costs of $750 for wall and ceiling fixes with the whole room painting costs. That is not something anyone would expect when the installation under warranty has caused damage. Just fixing the burst pipe was just a minor part in this incident and it was graciously covered by $75 fee for the technician coming over.

Deborah Lithia Springs, GA

Not happy with how the contractor came out to repair my AC unit which is old. He repaired the motor and told me my Freon was fine. Five days later my a/c stopped working again. The contractor comes out and tells me that I need a new compressor and he would send to wayyanty company. Warranty company does not call me but leaves an email staining I'm over the limit of coverage. I find out that the r22freon they are replacing is no longer in production make it extremely expensive for the homeowners. All this time is in the heat of the summer and I have a chronic illness with no a/c. Why am I paying monthly fees for which I don't use when the time that I need them most I can't get the help because the contractor is using r22 but has the option to use the least expensive Freon . I don't feel that anyone is making the best decision for me the customer who is on a strict income. The customer service lady count answer my questions, she only reads the script prepared by company and the language barrier makes it harder.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Deborah. I am sorry to hear that you are still without your air working. I would be happy to speak with you to assist with a resolution to this issue.

Tracey Horton Austin, TX

I wrote a very negative review a couple of weeks ago that stated after being told to call an outside contractor for an emergency on a weekend and would be reimbursed, then I was told no I would not be reimbursed. However, after reading my review, I was contacted and will be reimbursed. I am very happy as I knew this was simply not fair. Thank you very much for making this right. I really appreciate it.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Tracey. Thank you for rating your service experience. I'm sure it is frustrating if you were given incorrect information and paid out of pocket for repairs. We would be happy to speak with you regarding this matter.

Jun. 4th, 2021

Sally Singleton Plano, TX

The worst customer service I’ve ever experienced Icaed over 10 times, wait time long, then someone would answer and I couldn’t understand one word they said. I was told Every time a supervisor would call me back with in 2 days, I’ve yet to talk with someone my ice maker went out and they wouldn’t repair it. Now my air conditioner coils need to be replaced, They will pay $600 but I have to pay !1800.0its a rip off

Tanya Cain Columbus, GA

I have a service contract open for repair to my AC unit and it was denied because stating modifications and construction is not covered under my contract. Now according to the contractor that was sent out they needed to order a part to the existing unit that needs replacing; for the damper. According to my contract dampers are covered. This is a $1600 repair that AHS will not pay. For 6 years like clockwork my monthly fee was collected but when I really need to use the warranty I paid into I was denied. I have to come out of pocket again to pay.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Tanya. I am sorry to hear that you were not pleased with the coverage decision for you rair conditioning. I would be happy to investigate this issue and follow up with you.

Kathy Cook Longboat Key, FL

I have had a very poor experience. I was almost a month without air conditioning in the middle of Florida summer. The response from the company was to have me pay to remove a condenser installed in 2006 in order to fix it as the out of pocket expenses would have exceeded $1800. This makes absolutely no sense. I would have gladly paid the crane fees to install a new condenser.

Emory Hill Laurel, MD

This has been the worst experience of my life ...I have been trying to get my HVAC system repaired for over a month in a half ...I was told this was a reputable company , but the service I have received is far below zero standard ...not to mention I am still waiting to get the repairs done ...initial call was made on June 8th...if there was a way to cancel the warranty I would at this point .

Travis Withrow Shasta Lake, CA

Up until recently, I was very impressed with AHS. We run an Airbnb business from our home and had both our washing machines and one dryer go out. The dryer got handled right away! But it was taking over a week to get anything done with our washer, causing us to lose a lot of business! We finally had to go buy a new washer ourselves. Then when wanting AHS to reimburse us, I was told three weeks after the incident that replacement would have had to come from a licensed contractor. This and $750 later on a new washer had made me very upset!

Chris Snyder Covington, LA

I was charged bogus charges for a repair and when I asked for an itemized copy of what the plumber submitted I was told I would receive an email and then told no an email couldn't be sent and I would receive a letter never received either one so I can only assume it's American Home shield who is taking advantage of their customers by charging them bogus charges

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Chris. I am sorry to hear that you did not receive the information you requested. I would be happy to speak with you and assist with resolving this issue.

Jul. 31st, 2021

Harmina Moheb Whittier, CA

It's been 25 days since I called for them to fix my refrigerator and it is still broken. I tried to contact the supervisor through customer service and they never got back to me. Every time I ask a question they never give me a sure answer so they always left me not knowing anything. My family currently still doesn't have a working refrigerator after 25 days because of this company.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Harmina. I am very sorry to hear that the problem with your refrigerator has not been resolved. I would be happy to speak with you and assist with getting this issue resolved.

Anthony Willis Fort Lauderdale, FL

they out source customer service and it's too long a wait for supervisor. When everything is good they are perfect but when it's a problem getting an issue resolved with a contractor through them is none existing. I am a home owner and realtor I honestly can not recommend them.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Anthony. I am sorry to hear that you have been disappointed in the serive you received. I would be happy to speak with you to address this matter further.

Bob Berglund Henderson, NV

Terrible. Broken AC unit. AHS "cannot find" a vendor to respond. AHS gave me authorization to find a vendor to do the work. This is complete BS - two vendors told me "No Way" - we will only come if I pay them COD and they will not come unless AHS assigns them. This is a tactic for AHS to avoid an expense. This is borderline fraudulent and if I cannot get resolution I will contact my local TV station and ask them to intervene with a story.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Bob. Thank you for letting us know about the issues you are having with getting your air conditioning fixed. I can see why this would be upsetting. I would be happy to speak with you to assist with a resolution to this matter.

Jodi McCulloch Plainfield, IL

I have had a horrible experience with American Home Shield, my clothes washer is broken because of the repair guy that they sent, I have spent hours on the phone over the past 2 weeks and my washer is still not fixed, and they refuse to put my machine in for replacement and no one will call me back. American Home Shield is a terrible company and a scam!

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Jodi, I hate to hear about your most recent AHS experience to have the washer machine repaired. I would be glad to speak with you to get the issues resolved.

Anthony Insen

Terrible experience! Waste of money and they don’t care for you at all. Hire bad contractors who don’t know what they are doing and charge you regardless if the work is done or not. If you are reading this please find another company to assist you. Ahs isn’t worth the time and stress. They were very rude to me when I tried to ask for a credit for a service fee since the job wasn’t done. Contractor only has to reach your door step to obtain the fee. They don’t have to do any work. Again stay away.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Anthony. We appreciate you taking time to let us know about your experience. I do hate to hear that you have not been pleased with the service you have received. I would be happy to speak with you and address any unresolved issue.

Steve Ezzell Eastland, TX

If you had asked me this question a month ago I would have said AHS is a great home warranty company. But then I hadn't had to use your services in quite a long time. Now, however it is a different story. This is based on my recent contract at 904 Foxhollow Rd in Eastland, TX. I have ticket with AHS right now that has yet to be resolved. I originally placed this ticket on Tuesday the 29th of June with an HVAC not working issue. AHS never reached out to me with any information on a possible contractor for around 96 hours. I did communicate with AHS during that time, but it was always me that initiated the call. I was told over and over during those calls that someone from the dispatch team would be contacting me, but none ever did. Finally, on Friday the 2nd of July, I received a text from AHS saying they had assigned a contractor. So I reached out to the contractor at the number AHS gave. The contractor did call me back and we made arrangements for him to come to my house. Of course since this was late on Friday, this meant that we would be without AC the whole hot July 4th weekend and, as a result of the contractors prior commitments, he wouldn't be able to come to my house until the following Thursday. At anytime, during that 96 hrs, AHS could have, should have, given me the authorization to choose my own contractor. If they had done, my family would very likely have AC right now. I have asked several HVAC contractors lately and they have all told me that yes, they have dealt with AHS before, but no, they don't want to do so in the future because it is too difficult to deal with them. I don't know what has happened to AHS in the past few years, but this is definitely NOT the company that I originally dealt with when I purchased my first house in 2015!

Reply from American Home Shield

Hello Steve. I am very sorry to hear that the recent request for air conditioning has not been resolved. We are here to assist with getting this resolved. We understand how important it is to have your air working. I would be happy to speak with you further regarding this situation.

Jul. 19th, 2021

Kim Douglasville, GA

Still looking for Ashton Kutcher to jump out and say "you've been punked". Seriously can't make this up. I was assigned Eagle Heating & Cooling of Georgia through my home warranty, American Home Shield. Not by choice I can assure you. I read ALL the horrible reviews and wanted another contractor but EH&COG was the only option. EH&COG sent me a text stating they will arrive at my home on a Wednesday (work day) from 9 am to 5 pm. Who does that? I tried to call (during business hours) to get a specific time window but my calls went to voicemail. I even called AHS and they tried to call them but to no avail (wow, AHS really need to screen their contractors). Needless to say I was able to meet Don and Tyler to my home, offered them bottled water, and thanked them for "fixing" my ac. Hahaha the jokes on me!!!! Fast forward 14 days later and I notice my ac is leaking and causing damage to my ceiling. I called AHS to let them know and of course they tell me they aren't responsible for secondary damage (which is true, stated in contract). But I feel they are responsible for choosing incompetent contractors. Anyway, I also called EH&COG and spoke with a woman who then said she couldn't help me but her office manager could. Enter Sherry (she's the life of the party). I proceed to tell Sherry my issue in a calmly manner (my mom always taught me you can catch more bees with honey). She tells me my ceiling was damaged before her techs inspected it (they never entered the room). I tell her this is untrue-again calmly never raising my voice. She tells me I'm not going to argue with you, call AHS to have another contractor come out. At this point I'm livid. Initially I didn't want these people to service my home. I feel AHS works with shady AC repairmen and should do a better job at getting these contractors. Now I'm left with a damaged ceiling. AHS supervisor said that she will refund my $100 to go towards my ceiling but I haven't seen it.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Kim, I hate to hear about your most recent service experience to have the air conditioner system repaired and the lack of follow-up with the company. I would be glad to speak with you to get the issues resolved.

Jul. 14th, 2021

Debbie Sommer San Francisco, CA

My experience with AHS has been frustrating and time-intensive. My claims filed in Nov 2020 are still unresolved and the time it has taken to follow up with AHS, be on hold, wait for return calls (which are not returned) and wait for repair visits is inefficient and a waste of everyone's time. They could improve by following up on calls and promises, and expediting issues to create resolution instead of increasing stress and frustration. Can you imagine having problems with your only toilet and waiting 8 months for service to be completed? I'm very customer service oriented in my jobs and expect similar from others. This has not been the case with AHS. It is a tremendous disappointment after being referred by a long-time customer.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hello Debbie. Thank you for providing feedback about your service experience. I am sorry to hear that your repair needs have not been resolved. We are here to assist you. I would be happy to speak with you to address the unresolved issues that you are having.

Jul. 19th, 2021

Wendy Hallmark Royse City, TX

I made a service call on June 11 and they still have not fixed my attic fan. I can only speak to someone in the Philippines, no one in the United States. The electrician blames American home shield and says the part hasn't been approved in American home shield blames the electrician that they haven't filled out the paperwork right. The right thing to do would be for American home shield to reassign my case to someone else but they just like to let things sit. This is not the first experience I've had with American home shield. We are moving at the end of this month and I will not renew with American home shield. I will go with a company that has people that I can talk to in the United States. I have been a customer for seven years and they will lose that long term, faithful customer because they aren't doing their part.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hello Wendy. I am very sorry to hear about your recent experience with resolving the issue for your attic fan. We are here to assist and address your concerns. I see that an agent has been assigned and is currently working with you. Thank you for your patience as we work towards a resolution.

Shirley J Dennie West Palm Beach, FL

Poor to none communication from the supervisors (Mr Kelly) and the CEO Rex T. Mr Kelly was advised multiple times of my concern to speak to with him in hopes that he could get results for the service on my central air condition.. I have been without air for over two weeks with a part being ordered. I expressed the unit is leaking and damaging my wood flooring and baseboard newly installed but that is not important to them because I"m told it nothing they do for the flooring Also I express my tenants are elderly in there 80 with heat in the 85 degrees. Not a concern. This is very poor service. Another concern if they have qualified technicians as vendors. This is UNACCEPTABLE SERVICE for temperatures in Florida vised by multiple customer service agents my concerns to speak with a higher position person I was promised a call back for two days nothing yet the CEO when call you are transferred to customer service. I have expressed my concerncings with ce

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Shirley. I do hate to hear that the issue with your air conditioning has not been resolved. I can see why this would be upsetting with elderly tenants in the home. I would be happy to speak with you and see how I may assist with a resolution.

Cindy Page Katy, TX

My dryer has been out almost a month. I had a video conference with their contractor and after not hearing from them for a week I called AHS. They called the contractor and they made an appt for the following week. The contractor cancelled my appt w/o telling me. I waited on them all day and when I called for a status update is when I found out. They cancelled 2 more appts after that w/o telling me. I have been calling almost daily to AHS asking for a different service co and they give me the run around. Yesterday was the final straw. I was scheduled again between 10 and 2 and when they didn't show we called to talk to a supervisor. Still haven't heard from a supervisor, but the service guy came at 5:30 after my husband and I both called and he didn't have the part. Said it was a wasted trip since the problem was already diagnosed and he wasn't given the part. Extremely frustrated and very dissatisfied.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Cindy, I hate to hear about the delay in service that has been experienced. I will be glad to speak with you to get the dryer repaired.

Jul. 16th, 2021

Connie Gaham Keithville, LA

My experience with American Home Shield was not handled well as for as my claim for repair/replacement of my upright freezer. There was a communition barrier between the customer sevice person and myself. It was difficult to understand her. I had to ask her to repeat herself several times and I had to repeat to also. I told her I was having problems with my stand alone upright freezer and she would repeat upright icemaker. I would correct her and tell her it's not an icemaker but an upright freezer and she also videotaped it. I asked to speak to her supervisor but was told that she had to take my name and phone number and give it to him to call me back in the order in which my call was received. (Still waiting on that call). When the A-1 technician cam to my house he said this's not a upright icemaker and I said , I know but I couldn't get the lady to understand that. to sum it all up I paid $100.00 for nothing because you don't replace free standing upright freezers or icemakers. So I went out and paid $305.44 for a new upright freezer. Out of total 405.44. This could have all been avoided if she had allowed me to speak to her supervisor. I thought by getting the home warranty American Home Shield had that I would have been covered for the free standing upright freezer. My bad. I hope I don't have anything else not covered under American Home Shield at $959.88/year.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Connie, Thank you for letting us know that the issue has not been resolved. I would be happy to speak with you to assist with a resolution.

Jul. 12th, 2021

William Fitts

On June 8 my a/c wasn't cooling and was leaking condensation into the a/c closet. I called AHS and service order 69961697 was assigned. The unit was repaired the next day. On June 14 my refrigerator stopped cooling. I called AHS and service order 71365947 was issued. On 15 June I called the assigned company to chon the status of my situation and was told that my repair was aches for 22 June. That was unacceptable. Your representative informed me that was the only vendor int the Fort Worth/Dallas area.i cancelled the order and called a local company who fixed the unit that day. I was out ~$325 instead of $100. I'm disappointed. Y'all need to do better

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi William. Thank you for letting us know about your AHS expeirence. I am sorry to hear of the problem you had with addressing the repair needs for your refrigerator. I will be happy to speak with you to see if we may be able to reach a resolution regarding this matter.

Jun. 22nd, 2021

Marc Derrow Portage, IN

Had assigned company come out, once they saw the problem it took American Home Shield about a month before we had a new air conditioner, we suffered in the heat. Need to speed up process of replacing units

Diethra Clare Palmdale, CA

Put in a claim for my dryer. La Appliance came out to fix it and now the problem is still occurring. Awaiting for a call for them to come back out to fix and it's been 2 weeks

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Diethra. Thank you for letting us know you have not been contacted regarding your dryer. I would be happy to speak with you and assist with a resolution to this issue.

Shawn A Banks Chesapeake, VA

Very disappointed with the services I've received involving my HVAC system as well as few other repair services . For the money I'm paying I should be able to pick my own repair company after receiving poor service from the one that was provided. All in all it was time for me to go with a better Home Warranty Company

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Shawn. I am sorry to hear that you have been disappointed with the service you received for your HVAC system as well as some other issues. We are here to address your concerns. I would be happy to speak with you to assist with a resolution.

Neace Dayton, OH

Horrible it's been over 20 days without air conditioning. I have asked every day to speak to management and nothing happens. I also have family that has asthma and have made this known and AHS will not do anything! I have had the run around since June 30th today is July 16th! It's ridiculous.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hello Neace. Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent service experiecne with your air conditioning. We know how important it is to have your air working. I would be happy to speak with you and assist with a resolution to this issue.

Nicholas Gosselin Oceanside, CA

From poor contracting companies, to denying basic repairs and replacement of items, to not being able to schedule all appliances selected for service on a tade call, you are essenitally akin to a health insurance company that sucks up money to deny as much coverage as possible.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Nicholas. I do hate to hear that you have not been pleased with the service and coverage that we offer. I would be happy to speak with you regarding your concerns and assist with a resolution on any unresolved issue.

Dawn Pfund Renton, WA

One of the worst customer service experiences I have had. First Claim - Washing machine. Took 8 weeks, 2 contractors, and 4 visits to fix. Thankfully, there was a manual work around so I could continue washing my clothes. I did not follow up often because of the workaround. The few times I did, they had no idea what was going on and my claim had just been sitting for weeks. Second Claim - Refrigerator stopped working. First contractor came out in 2 days and told us were out of freon and needed to have the fridge re-charged, which they could not repair. I waited 2 days to hear from them, nothing. Called Monday to be told they were trying to find a contractor to repair the leak and would call me back. No call back. Tuesday, called twice, spent about an hour on hold while they called contractors. Was told one could come out in a week or so. I told them that was not acceptable and I needed my refrigerator repaired sooner than that. Again, no call back. Called Wednesday, was told they were still looking for a contractor. At this point, I asked to speak to a manager. I was put on hold for 45 minutes and when the manager came online, they were having some technical difficulty and could not hear me, so hung up, no call back. Called again that afternoon and after 15 minutes was told they found a contractor. Turns out the contractor they sent out doesn't do freon/closed system repairs, so they could not have fixed the issue. And, he gave a completely different diagnosis, which he also could not repair. Thursday, called again, asked to speak to a manager, was given the runaround, told they would find a contractor same day and call me back in an hour. 4 hours later, no call back. Call for a 7th time this week and am told a completely different story. They don't have the report from the Wednesday repair yet, so they don't know what is going on. Refuse to let me talk to a manager, telling me it will slow things down. Then finally tell me they can't fix my fridge and will make an offer. That offer is supposedly coming tomorrow. I am betting I have another 3 hours on hold coming up to get paid. As soon as this is closed out, I am cancelling this service. We went and bought a new refrigerator today with our own money. I cannot wait to never deal with this company again. Horrible experience, horrible customer service. Do not use this company.

Penny Stevenson Bedford, TX

On July 2, 2021, I submitted an invoice of which I used an outside contractor to remove and replace a defective hot water heater, of which it was under manufacturers warranty. I was told by AHS to submit an invoice from the plumber which I paid $500 to. AHS told me that it would take 7-10 days to receive my check of $500. It has been 21 business days, and I still have not received the check. I called AHS today, July 29th, and they told me that it would be another 12 business days before I could receive my money. I am a Widow, living on a restricted income, and this has caused me extremely stress and heartache. I am strongly considering a law suit.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Penny. I am very sorry to hear that you still have not received your reimbursement check. I would be happy to speak with you and assist with resolving this issue.

Robert Gourdine Altamonte Springs, FL

Poor customer service...would be zero if I could. Set online appt for AC problem...assigned vendor never contacted me or responded to messages so I called AHS to replace vendor. Was told they needed to contact vendor 3 times before they could replace..and would get call back next day as to status. No call back and I called them back and got same runaround again but this time supervisor would call back ( after I pushed). No call back again and called back for 3rd day..during runaround process decided to just cancel and start anew. Did this and set up new live appt with different vendor...contacted within minutes. Next day, first vendor shows up; yes the appt I’d cancelled and technically never scheduled because vendor never contacted me ( and tried to get AHS to change), Poor service seems to be standard.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Robert. I am sorry to hear about the experience you had with getting a vendor out to take care of the problem with your air conditioning. I would be happy to speak with you to address this issue further.

Taleen Mergian Rockford, MI

AHS has been neglectful for a week with an active leak flooding our basement from a broken water heater. We have called them multiple times, only to find out that no plumber would service our request because AHS marked it as "routine". We continued to call them for assistance and they changed our claim to expedited with promises to call within 4 hours for a new plumber to be assigned. No surprise, we never heard back from AHS. After going 5 days without hot water and having to lay down towels and shop vac our basement every hour we called an independent plumber who was quick to respond as our situation was anything but "routine" and needed urgent attention. We had a new water heater put in within an hour as a valve had broken within the old water heater causing the massive, continuous leak. AHS then assigned us a plumber a week out from our initial claim- sorry, a little late to the party American Home Shield. We called to get our service fee refunded and request that we be reimbursed for the water tank (not labor, paid to independent plumber) following their blatant negligence and leaving us stranded with an active leak for a week in a home with 4 people (one of them 6 months pregnant)- their response was that they would not reimburse any money as we did not call them back after they completely ignored us/didn't call back with a plumber assigned in 4 hours and so therefore this was actually our fault for not calling them enough. They also only document the information on their end that supports their policies, so even if they told you something different on the phone their response is "that did not happen as I don't see it documented in the notes on my end". Never felt so ignored and quite frankly attacked by a company who has basically inferred that I am a liar and didn't hold up my end of the deal. We will never work with American Home Shield again.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Taleen, Thank you for bringing your most recent AHS experience to our attention. I would be glad to speak with you in regard to the broken valve and the issues that have occurred.

Jul. 27th, 2021

Eduardo Gonzalez Vacaville, CA

I can understand how certain repairs may take time, however being without a water heater for 5 days because they can't get a contractor out or even empathize with your situation leaves a lot to be desired. I think next time I choose a warranty company it definitely WILL NOT BE THIS ONE. If you have a problem with a home appliance that I consider a nessiity. Especially with a family of 6. How can they expect you to go a week without hot water and not even bat an eye. This company will bandaid anything they can until the warranty period is out.

Reply from American Home Shield

Eduardo. We appreciate you taking time to let us know about the issue with your water heater. I can see why this would be upsetting. I would be happy to speak with you and assist with a resolution.

Jul. 16th, 2021

Jordon Owens Ft Mitchell, KY

They never checked on us through our experience. When we would call to get updates they acted like we were stupid and didn't understand what was going on. They did deny the third diagnosis which we understood why but we realized that the diagnosis was wrong and called them back to get someone out to to figure out what the issue is they tried to tell us they couldn't get anyone out. We have had a horrible experience with this company.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Jordon. I am very sorry to hear that you have not had a good experience with your recent service request. I would be happy to speak with you to address this issue and assist with a resolution.

Dorian Price Homewood, IL

My experience has been challenging, confusing, and extremely frustrating. My issue with water in the basement was not taken as a priority. It is extremely difficult to speak with a supervisor. It took several months to resolve my problem. The experience makes me want to cancel my membership. This is my second time have to fight for my rights that are clearly written in my policy.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Dorian, I hate to hear about the stoppage issues that have occurred within your home. I would be glad to speak with you to assist with a resolution to have the repairs completed.

Aracely Lopez Phoenix, AZ

I have had American Shield in the last and was very happy with service. Recently I+C11m not HAPPY with their service. We put in a request for the AC unit and they sent two different companies. I feel like we are getting the run around. The AC company says they need the ok from American and American says they need the information from the AC. Meanwhile I live in Az where it gets very hot! Also when we call to American the person we talk to is working from home and all you hear is their kids in the background.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Aracely. I am sorry to hear that you have not been pleased with the recent experience for service needed on your air conditioning. We are here to address your concerns. I would be happy to speak with you and assist with a resolution to this issue.

Greg Edmond, OK

This company is a rip off. They take your money and then they they do everything possible to deny your coverage. They do not send you any information regarding your claim, you have to call them. When you call them, they make you wait for over half an hour. When they do answer, the person talking to you can barely speak English and their answers to your questions are obviously scripted. I will be cancelling this "service".

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Greg, I hate to hear about your most recent AHS service experience to speak with an AHS representative. I would be glad to speak with you to discuss the issues that need assistance.

Pat Gardner Ambler, PA

Because I have been waiting on a resolution for 3 months for my jacuzzi pump repair. Never receive a call back from customers relations or a supervisor as promised everyday to help to help!! I was promised by supervisor Jessica that I would be able to hire my own contractor who had pump readily available and be reimbursed for the work. I cannot put my house on the market to sell with holes in my ceiling and bathroom until repairs have been made to the tub!! Totally frustrating that I have to call everyday and get the same run around story for each agent!!!

Reply from American Home Shield

Hello Pat. Thank you for letting us know about your service experience with your jacuzzi tub. I regret to hear that the issue has not been resolved and I can see why this would be upsetting. I would be happy to speak with you to assist with resolving this issue.

Jul. 12th, 2021

James Metsger Concord, NC

My dishwasher has been broken for 10 days. We had a repairman come, but when we ran it for the first time a couple days after he left it didn't work. I called AHS and had a terrible experience with a customer service representative. She accused me of fabricating a story which was not true. He told me "all the calls are recorded and she can play the conversation back." I wish she had! She wouldn't transfer me. She wouldn't give me a phone number for customer service. I'm so frustrated I'm considering saving the $1000 I pay per year for the service.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi James. Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that the problem has not been resolved with your dishwasher. I would be happy to speak with you and see how I may assist in resovling this issue for you.

Jul. 9th, 2021

Larry Moore Houston, TX

My microwave has broken for a month. Technician came out submitted report to the authorization department to replaced the microwave and still no results. I have made several calls to find out what is going on. I was told that they are expediting the paper work to resolve the problem and that I will be call in 24 hours. Still no call and no resolution.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Larry, Thank you for bringing the delay to our attention. I would be glad to speak with you to assist with a resolution for the microwave.

Floyd Reese Spring, TX

I recently filed a claim when my AC Coil failed. There contracts states the repair is covered. It was my surprise to learn that I was responsible for an additional $2500.00 of the claim amount. I was forced to use there service repair company. This company is a total ripoff and should be closed down. They misrepresent their coverages and practice unfair deceptive trade practices.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Floyd, I am sorry to hear about the AC repairs and the additional non-covered cost needed to complete the repair. I would be glad to speak with you to get the issues resolved.

Alan W Myers Granbury, TX

They refused to send another tech out even though Millrnnium was out 4 times, lied to us about how to fix it, every time we called we got someone we could barely understand and they told us we had no choice but to use them. I finally reached out to my neighbor and they had the same experience and told us of other services we could get. We have never had a problem with AHS before but this was the worst. I finally got someone called Richard who was amazingly helpful and understanding, he appealed it to a manager and they send Texas Heat and Air out which was much better.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Alan. Thank you for letting us know about your repair experience. I do hate to hear that you had a problem with getting another vendor assigned. I would be happy to speak with you to see if there may still be an issue I can assist with resolving for you.

Cindy Sheldon Chandler, AZ

This company will cheat you out of a replacement any way it can, and it has every angle and scheme figured out to keep from paying you what is fair. Been paying them for motor than 20 years. They outsource their telephone personnel who, in my EVERY experience, is nearly impossible to understand and extremely frustrating! You're better off paying for repairs out of pocket when u need them. And one big note: you have to use THEIR HANDPICKED SERVICE COMPANIES! Be very wary of this shyster company.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Cindy. We are very sorry to hear that you have not had the best experience with your repair needs being met. We are here to address your concerns. I would be happy to speak with you and see if I may assist with resolving this issue.

Kenneth Keith Fountain Inn, SC

We have been a customer for more than 15 years. Our latest unpleasant encounter was with built in microwave. The first $75 service revealed parts were needed to be ordered we waited a month with no action. After multiple calls AHS offered to give us $74 toward the purchase of a new microwave we would purchase and self install. We are still in disbelief of the way they treated us I am in process of checking out more customer friendly providers.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Kenneth. I am sorry to hear that you are not pleased with the way the service was handled for your microwave. I would be happy to speak with you to try to resolve this matter.

Chaudry Ahmed Canoga Park, CA

Long hold time about 45 minutes . I called Five days & talked to different customer service rep, but were not able to solve problem. Asked them connect with manager. They told me Manager is not available. Every time called it transfer overseas calling centers. I live in United States & hard to explain them what's going on. Every time they signed contractor was cancelled with in couple hours . Then I have to call them again . It is nightmare.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Chaudry. I am sorry to hear that you have not had the best experience in reaching someone to assist you when calling. I know long hold times can be frustrating. I would be happy to speak with you further to assist with a resolution.

Teresa Cavallo San Antonio, TX

My last incident for my AC was painful. I had to do all the work in getting the part. I was without AC from June 8-June 30. The contract could have gotten the part within a day but had to wait for American Home Shield to provide the part which took weeks. In addition all cost were not covered. I had to pay an additional $650 for the contractor to "modify" for the new part which I feel should have been covered by my insurance. I have been a loyal customer for over 10 years and I'm very disappointed in the recent service I received.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Teresa. I am sorry to hear that you were not happy with your most recent request for your air conditioning. We are here to address your concerns. I would be happy to speak with you further regarding this matter.

Tracy Lesser Winston-Salem, NC

I have been having trouble trying to schedule my repair with Sears. I called Sears twice to reschedule and both times their "system was down". I called AHS to help reschedule. The woman that I spoke with was not helpful at all. Her advice was for me to call Sears and reschedule. Then she said she would send me an email with a link to reschedule (just to get me off the phone). Never received the link and I'll need to deal with Sears myself. Very disappointing!

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Tracy. I am very sorry to hear you are having trouble rescheduling your appointment with Sears. I would be happy to speak with you to assist with a resolution to this issue.

Ann Port Neches, TX

My water heater has been out for 38 days. You have been inconsiderate, incompetent, lying business. I would never recommend your company. Earlier AHS replaced an outdoor ceiling fan with an indoor fan. The fan blades quickly dropped and everything rusted. REALLY. I had a professional replace it. The fact that I have been without hot water for 38 days is inexcusable. I have called at least 20 times. No one knows what to do and some people give me incorrect information. Not professional!

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Ann. Thank you for your feedback regarding your service experiecne. I do hate to hear that you did not have the best experience with replacing your water heater. I would be happy to speak with you further regarding this matter.

Jul. 9th, 2021