Headquartered in Austin, Texas, Protect America provides self-installed home security systems, GPS, monitoring services, and automation solutions, and has serviced nearly half a million homes since 1992.

Protect America's monthly fees range from $19.99 to $42.99, and the company provides free equipment with its security services, including a control panel, motion detectors, door sensors, and window sensors.

With an exceptionally low monthly monitoring fee, free equipment, and no upfront fees, Protect America is the leading home security company in the industry. The company has the highest overall rating in the home security industry on BestCompany.com as well as a quality star rating from consumers.

Protect America is one of the most trusted and high-quality security solutions we've seen. Read the company highlights and see Protect America reviews from real consumers below.

Click Here to Read Protect America Reviews

The Good

• Protect America Cost
  • DIY Installation
  • Home Automation Features
  • Lifetime Equipment Warranty
  • Variety of Home Security Packages
  • 24/7 Video Monitoring
  • Industry Experience
  • Protect America Reviews

Protect America Cost

Protect America's monthly fee ranges from $19.99$41.99. With these prices, the yearly cost ranges from $239–$503. Protect America's complete cost over the course of the 36-month contract ranges from $719–$1,511.

This price includes 24/7 monitoring, no installation or equipment fees, a price match guarantee, and a locked-in rate. Customers who purchase Protect America's basic home security package will pay $19.99 per month, and customers who purchase the more advanced package with cellular monitoring and remote access to their system will pay $41.99 per month.

The higher cost for the cellular monitoring is due to the increased services and features (such as remote control of a security camera, real-time alerts from motion sensors, and other home automation features) that are not available with landline monitoring only.

$41.99 per month for added features and cellular monitoring is still a competitive price and one of the most affordable offers in the market.

Compared to other do-it-yourself solutions, Protect America prices are very low. Most self-installed security system companies offering free equipment simply make you pay for it in the form of high-cost monthly monitoring services. This isn't the case with Protect America.

Free Protect America Equipment

While other home security system companies offer free equipment, few match Protect America in both the quantity and quality of the free equipment. Protect America equipment cost is absolutely free and includes the following with most of its packages:

• 1 control panel
  • 3 door and window sensors
  • 1 motion detector

The free door and window sensors have a 5-year battery life and can be quickly and easily self-installed. The wireless sensors have a horizontal coverage range of 25 feet and can detect movement by intelligently sensing head emissions. They are pet-friendly, ignoring movement from objects 40 pounds or less.

Protect America equipment cost is completely free and is known for its high quality, beating out the majority of the home security company's competitors.

No Installation Fees

Unlike many other home security companies, Protect America does not charge installation fees. When you sign up for their services, you don't have to risk a burglar targeting your home before you can afford the cost of home security installation. You can get Protect America's protection right away.

Money-Back Guarantee

Protect America offers a 30-day money-back guarantee on all of its products. This gives customers time to test out the company's service and its security system before fully committing to the contract.

DIY Installation

Protect America's home security system is a do-it-yourself solution that takes less than one hour to set up. DIY security systems are convenient because it allows consumers to skip pricey and lengthy professional installations.

Many home security providers require costly professional installation and can take weeks to set up a date and time that works with the customer's schedule. Customers are also likely to be more familiar with the security equipment since they are the ones setting it up.

Many Protect America reviews below reference the quick and simple installation as a major benefit and relief.

Home Automation Features

At less than $20 per month, you typically shouldn't expect your home security package to include home automation features; however, Protect America does include wireless control options.

Through the company's app, customers are able to view camera footage and control their security system, door locks (additional equipment cost) and lights/appliances (additional equipment cost) from a smartphone. Here is a breakdown of Protect America's home automation options:

Protect America Mobile App

Protect America's mobile app gives you control of your home security system from anywhere. From monitoring your entry points and controlling your appliances (garage door, thermostat, lights, and other appliances) to getting 24/7 access to live video of your home, you can stay apprised of your home security at all times and manage your security system with ease.

The app also sends notifications of any security alerts you need to be aware of, such as suspicious activity or system malfunction.

August Smart Lock Pro

The August Lock is a smart lock you can control and monitor from anywhere at any time with the Protect America app. The door lock works with single cylinder deadbolts and similar to other Protect America security equipment, you can easily install it yourself within minutes.

With Protect America's door sensor and smart door lock, you never have to worry about someone entering your home through the door without you knowing, and you don't have to panic when you forget to lock the door; you can track any activity at your doorstep and remotely lock and secure your door immediately with the Protect America app.

This also means you don't have to carry around a home key because you have access to keyless entry with your smart lock. The August Smart Lock Pro is also compatible with Siri, Alexa, and the Google Assistant, so you can use any of these devices to control your smart lock that way if you prefer. Additionally, the August Lock works with Z-Wave Plus systems as well as Bluetooth.

Linear Garage Door Controller

Through the use of your Protect America app or your security system panel, you can remotely open and close your sectional garage door. This makes it simple to come and go quickly and ensures you can close or open the garage door while away from home. Your home never has to be left unprotected.

Z-Wave Light and Appliance Module

The Z-Wave technology module allows you to turn the lights on and off throughout your home as well as dim them. You can do this through the Protect America app or through a web browser. This wireless control gives your home automation more functionality and increased customization.

Amazon Echo Dot Integration

Protect America's home security system is compatible with the Amazon Echo Dot, which enables you to control your Protect America home automation features with the use of your Amazon Echo.

Few home security companies provide such compatibility and universality when it comes to integrating existing home automation equipment with new home security equipment provided by the company.

Lifetime Equipment Warranty

All equipment is covered by a lifetime warranty, meaning Protect America will ship replacement parts for all defective equipment at no charge to the customer. As detailed above, Protect America equipment is also free, including one control panel, three door and window sensors, and one motion detector.

Protect America's alarm system provides monitoring through landline (least expensive), broadband, and cellular communication; it's a rarity for a security company to provide all three of these warranties in the residential security system industry.

This type of superior customer service is another way Protect America has set itself apart from its competition.

Variety of Home Security Packages

Protect America offers multiple home security packages that you can customize to fit your particular needs. Each package includes free equipment, free activation, and professional 24/7 monitoring.

You can also upgrade any package to include smart home automation capabilities. For a customized instant quote, you can contact Protect America through the "Visit Site" button at the top of this profile page. Package details for Protect America's three main home security plans are below:

Copper Package

• 3 door/window sensors

Silver Package

• 9 door/window sensors

Platinum Package

• 14 door/window sensors

24/7 Video Monitoring

Protect America's security cameras have 24/7 live video monitoring. There is also a two-way voice capability service that enables communication on both ends. Read Protect America security reviews below to see what customers have to say about video monitoring capabilities.

Industry Experience

Protect America alarm system has been in business since 1992. Having a home security company that has ample experience in alarm systems and burglar and theft situations can give homeowners peace of mind that their home and family will be in good hands.

Protect America has had decades to develop a home security system and alarm monitoring company that is efficient, trustworthy, and affordable.

Protect America Reviews

Protect America reviews are overwhelmingly positive, awarding them an extremely high star rating from consumers. Protect America reviews highlight exceptional customer service, quality equipment, simple installation, and affordable prices.

Satisfactory reviews for Protect America provide peace of mind that the home security company is respected by the majority of its customers. Protect America users are clearly impressed and happy with its products and services.

The Bad

• 36-Month Contract
  • Cancellation Terms

36-Month Contract

Perhaps the least appealing feature of the alarm company for some people is its 36-month contract. However, lengthy contracts aren't unusual in the home security system industry.

A somewhat lengthy contract is much more common for companies that offer low-cost monitoring fees and free equipment as Protect America does. Read Protect America reviews below to see how customers feel about the lengthy contract and the home security provider as a whole.

Cancellation Terms

If customers decide to cancel their contracts before the 36-month term, Protect America requires them to pay the remaining balance. However, this isn't uncommon with home security companies and Protect America offers an extremely low monthly monitoring fee with no upfront fees or equipment costs.

With this in mind, the long-term contract and cancellation terms may not be a problem.

The Bottom Line

With an impressive array of free equipment, affordable monthly monitoring service, zero upfront costs, and a free moving option, the Protect America security system is one of the most affordable security systems on the market today.

Protect America offers an attractive lifetime warranty on its equipment, a full range of monitoring options, as well as extensive home automation features.

Protect America does require a contract; however, contracts are not unusual for home security companies and Protect America's prices are one of the most affordable security solutions in the market. Also, you may feel more comfortable signing a long-term contract after reading the overwhelmingly positive Protect America reviews (shown below).

Protect America security reviews indicate the home security provider beats out most of its competition in terms of value for the price, customer service, and satisfaction.

Micheal BIrchfield
May 16th, 2017 Corona, CA

I had to do the installation myself, but they walked me through it. I would say everything was good, and the equipment has been great!

Linda Harden
May 16th, 2017 Waynesboro, GA

Protect America's price is what made me choose them for home security. The agents that I talked to were very polite, and they didn't mind helping me with whatever problem I had. So far, the equipment is pretty good. It's new to me, so I have to learn how it works, but it's not hard.

Elizabeth Diamond
May 16th, 2017 Linden, VA

I first found out about them through an ad, and I took advantage of that first impression. For me it's very easy cause I did it myself and I had no problems with it; I like it. I am thinking about switching to the wireless system because I want to do it with my home phone.

Steven Miller
May 16th, 2017 Conway, AR

It's been a pretty good experience! They have been very responsive from the hardware stand point of the call center. There have been false alarms, and they've handled it all very smoothly.

Bill Clark
May 16th, 2017 Phoenix, AZ

We have been with Protect America for over 10 years, and I am happy with the service we have purchased. They have been great, and help us when we do our checkups to make sure our alarm is working. Whenever I accidentally set the alarm off, I just call and tell them not to come.

Lawrence Sondhaus
May 16th, 2017 Indianapolis, IN

I pay a monthly fee of $29.95 and it is a good price compared to the competition. The low hassle and the wireless system that you can install yourself, is really pretty simple. I just had an issue a few days ago with a box they sent over, but the representative helped me out.

Ahaz Griffeth
May 16th, 2017 Menifee, CA

Everything has been good with Protect America. I just signed up with them, and they were supposed to be sending me out a ‘do it yourself system', so it will be easy to use.

Llwlyn Walker
May 16th, 2017 Lubbock, TX

I decided to go with Protect America because friends of mine suggested that I should go with them and I have been very pleased and I have no complaints about it. It was easy and quick to install and I am satisfied.

Joseph Hennes
May 16th, 2017 Golden, CO

I have been with Protect America for ten years, I am very comfortable and happy with their service; the set up was the easiest. Plus, they sent the equipment pre-considered for my house and I just plugged it and played it.

William Tisdale
May 16th, 2017 Chazy, NY

The equipment is pretty good, the battery seems to work for a long time. I just thought I needed something like this, and Protect America was handy and affordable; I don't think it's affordable anymore.

Hardin Edwards
May 16th, 2017 Martinsville, VA

Customer Support was excellent, just as the equipment. I liked that the technicians always make sure that you know how to operate your box before they leave your home.

Calvin Walker
May 16th, 2017 Mayfield, NY

It was very easy to install because everything came in a package. We did it ourselves and it wasn't hard at all. They're quick to respond when the alarm set off, so I'm very pleased with the service.

William Mulligan
May 16th, 2017 Merrillville, IN

Protect America has been a positive experience. I recommend it because the price is competitive, and I would say it has given me the service that I have paid for. I installed it myself, and didn't have any problem. The system has not gone off in terms of home invasion or anything, but if I had one criticism, it would be that sometimes the battery does not last long.

Curtis Guidry
May 16th, 2017 Port Arthur, TX

So far, the equipment has worked very good. I have several installation and no installation system, but they've worked just fine.

Evangeline George
May 16th, 2017 Beaumont, TX

I wanted security in my house while I was working, so that I would know if something happened at my home. They installed everything. The equipment is one hundred percent fine, it's great. They've always done everything that I asked them to do at customer support. One time I asked them if they could send someone out and they said they didn't have anybody close by, and then I closed the phone and they called me right back and said they did after all, so they sent him. That was the only time that they sent somebody.

Franklin Thompson
May 16th, 2017 Omaha, NE

Protect America was recommended to me. I followed up on that recommendation, and it's been a good relationship. The price is right. Customer service makes it sort of like two companies. When I had some problems, I was dealing with people that were low-authority on the phone call; it was a lot of frustration, but once they hooked me into one of the advisers, she went way overboard and just fixed all the problems and restored my faith. Installing the equipment's a little bit cumbersome, because I was an old timer when there were actual physical techs that came to the house. I think my first system was back in 1988 or something like that, so I had an agent that came to the house. Now, when I upgraded my system I had to do it all through the phone, and it works, but it can be a little bit cumbersome. The new upgrade has been working well.

Rick Berliner
May 16th, 2017 Florissant, MO

We have had very little problems with Protect America, so we haven't dealt with them as much. We did have our analog replaced because we went through a different phone system, so that was good. Besides that, it's worked fine!

JG
May 16th, 2017 Vidalia, LA

I didn't have a good experience with their customer support. They want the customer to do the entire installation process. My mother in law had it for a few months, and it never worked. She's 93, so we called them to send somebody over to install it for her, but nobody would come. Finally, when they did come, they charged her $150, so her son just told them to cancel it. They just want you to do everything, plus pay the bills. The equipment really has some flaws.

Norma Whitaker
May 16th, 2017 Keithville, LA

Their customer support was fine, and so was the installation, however, I did have some problems with the sensors. Besides that, it's been a convenient service.

May 16th, 2017 Charlestown, IN

I decided to go with them based on cost. Everything has worked as designed or as it's supposed to. I think everything is as expected. I've had no problems with customer support. Whenever I needed an answer they were there; I didn't have any issue. Installation was fairly simple—they just teach you over the phone. I had to do it myself, but I knew that beforehand, so I had no issues with it.

Karen Barr
May 16th, 2017 Mays Landing, NJ

I think it's great! The equipment is very durable, it's easily replaceable, and it's easy to switch things in and out. I am used to working with these items, so it was easy for me to install. However, even for a novice, I think it would've been easy. Plus, everybody that I've had to contact has been great, very knowledgeable and very professional. Everything seems to have worked out just fine!

Robert Kuller
May 16th, 2017 Norristown, PA

Installing and using the security equipment was fine. They sent us one piece of other equipment; Nadine was very helpful and she told us how to install it and everything, but all the other people need to be trained better. We switched to Protect America because we weren't satisfied with our prior alarm company, which was ADT.

Matthew Beach
May 16th, 2017 Philadelphia, PA

They've gone above and beyond, with their level of customer service, to make sure that I always ended up with what I needed. Setting up the system was pretty easy. They send you instructions and kind of put the sensors where you need them. The equipment has had its glitches, but Protect America has always made sure that I had what I want. Overall, I think that they are a really good company that stands behind their products well.

Jim Stark
May 16th, 2017 Apple Grove, WV

We originally chose them for the service they offered. We did the installation ourselves, and our experiences with the equipment and with customer support have been okay. We'd like to say that it was a little cheaper but they're about the same as anybody else.

Leonard Dexter
May 16th, 2017 Ault, CO

I've had a great experience with their equipment so far. They upgraded my system over the years. I had a great response when somebody broke into our house, they responded immediately and the police came over right away. Installing the equipment was also very simple because I installed everything myself, and they walked me through the whole process over the phone.

Doris Miller
May 16th, 2017 Cocoa, FL

I like Protect America very much. I feel very secure having them as my security system. I chose them because they were rated so highly. I've had no problems at all with customer support; they're very helpful. The equipment is very good, and installing it was fast.

Selvin Gettings
May 16th, 2017 Richland, WA

Installing the system was quick and efficient. So far, it's worked very good and it's been reliable. Customer support is always there when I have a question; they're very responsive and did a good job. I would recommend it to anybody that wants good security.

Joyce Oliver
May 16th, 2017 Washington, DC

If I need anything from customer support, they're readily available to help me and they are helpful whenever you call. I chose them because it looked like a good deal for the price. It's self-installation and it was pretty easy too. It's been good using their security equipment.

Michael Vanloon
May 16th, 2017 Kirkland, WA

Installing their equipment was simple, and my experience with it has been excellent. I chose to go with Protect America because it was inexpensive, and their customer support has been very reliable and consistent.

Jill Harman
May 16th, 2017 Manchester, GA

I think they offer a reasonable price. All of their Customer Support representatives have been good; we have not required much support. They sent the wireless system, and we self-installed it. Once we got everything attached, we called, and they activated the system. Even after 8 years, the equipment is still working. We will certainly stick with them.

Jerry Galbreath
May 16th, 2017 Seal Beach, CA

I haven't had any problems or false alarms. I just think that they have an excellent product. Their customer support is very, very friendly; they have the ability to answer questions and interpret what the customer is saying, because sometimes what the customer is saying and what they need to do are two different things, but they're just wonderful on that aspect. I've had just excellent responses from their customer support. Whenever there is a question or an installation item, I can call them and they'll walk me through the process. When the battery was low I had to replace it, and it was somewhat complicated, at least to me, and they walked me through that, and spent a long time helping me on that particular issue.

Charles Toro
May 16th, 2017 Kissimmee, FL

They have good prices! The first time was good and the installation was great! However, we had to install it ourselves the second time, but they helped me out, so that was good. The equipment has worked out just fine so far.

Mina Patel
May 16th, 2017 New Castle, PA

The first time they installed the equipment was great; they did it for free. Plus, their customer service was excellent, and they were the best and cheapest you could find,

May 16th, 2017 Pompano Beach, FL

We've had good experiences working with Protect America's customer support and using their equipment. We were referred to them initially, and the installation was easy. I just feel secure that I can leave my home at any time, and there's an alarm there that will work if needed.

Hunt Gregory
May 16th, 2017 Aylett, VA

I purchased Protect America mainly because of its affordability, and I haven't had any problems with it so far. They offer great customer support, and there were no questions asked when it came to upgrading my system. They sent me the equipment within probably a week. All I can say is we're very satisfied with it.

Bennie Howard
May 16th, 2017 Upper Marlboro, MD

Their customer service has been outstanding. Whenever I had a problem, I called and they were always cooperative. They've always responded, in a professional way, to the problems that I presented. The installation process went well, because at the time that I subscribed to Protect America, they sent a couple out to my home and that couple installed the security system into my home. I purchased this home in 1999, and I've been with Protect America ever since. The reason I'm still with them is because of the services they provide, and the professionalism that they offer to their customers.

Joyce Snipes
May 16th, 2017 pper Marlboro, MD

Well the first time we set up the system was fine, but I really didn't care about the second time because I had to do it. They helped me over the phone, and I didn't really like that. Besides that, they were good, really nice, and very quick. Protect America was definitely our first choice.

Delwin Allen
May 16th, 2017 Anderson, SC

It's been great, every time I have a problem, question or something they take care of it. Installing the system was easy; it's been great to have them!

Prachi Athavale
May 16th, 2017 Novi, MI

I think what I like is a lot of extras that we get every time that we order anything, and you don't have to pay for it all the time. Their representatives were very, they were good sponsors and very helpful. Although we purchased it many years ago, the installation went well. It's been a very positive experience.

David Coberley
May 16th, 2017 Roy, UT

So far, we've been very pleased with their customer service. Installing it was great, we did it ourselves. They gave us a discount through my husband's company, so that came in handy.

Raid Alkhersan
May 16th, 2017 Northville, MI

The main reason I chose Protect America is because it was small wireless ball, and I can take it from house to house. I can say I'm satisfied with it because I've had the original equipment since 2003, and it's still working. Plus, the installation process was good, it just took quite a while to set up, that's all. I think the customer service is good. It's reliable, I had no issues with that. The only thing I don't like is that it's a little too expensive to upgrade the system.

DH
May 16th, 2017

Their equipment is not easy to upgrade. Since I don't have WIFI, I could not upgrade my system, however, they did a pretty good job installing it. Besides, their price was lower than others.

Tom Williams
May 16th, 2017 Carthage, TX

I don't have any complaints when it came to the installation process. They came to install it the first time, and after a few updates, they came out again. I have triggered the alarm by accident already, and they came online right away. Nobody is perfect, but they have certainly offered a positive experience.

Elsie Bucknam
May 16th, 2017 Aylett, VA

Something came in the mail about Protect America, and at that point I didn't have any security, and I chose them. I didn't know anybody else. Customer support has been very, very good. They call when anything goes wrong. They don't stop at one number, they do call whatever number it takes to get somebody. I just upgraded from having the one with the telephone line to wireless, and every time I had to call them they had always been very helpful. Installing it was a little difficult for me, but probably wouldn't be so to somebody else, because I am older. It was just a little difficult for me, but they walked me through everything, and they're really patient. It's been a very good experience.

Robert Watts
May 16th, 2017 Elk Grove, CA

The installation was easy to deal with; I did it myself, which was why I chose them in the first place. I had all the customer support needed, both on the activation and testing, and a couple of false alarms. I upgraded it once, but the equipment is fine, its functions are regularly tested by myself and communication tested occasionally. it is a monitored line, and I had no problems at all.

Greg Jordan
May 16th, 2017 DeSoto, TX

I saw an advertisement for them, and that's how I decided to go with them. Customer support has been great; they're really helpful and they're patient. They walk you through the program. It's really good. The installation was nerve-racking at first but once I got ahold of their people, it was okay, it's great. So far it's been great using the equipment. I tried it a couple of times and able to do pretty good and one time I was at home and I accidentally stepped on the emergency thing and the police came out and I was there so it works. They're good people.

Carol Yeager
May 16th, 2017 South Pasadena, CA

It's inexpensive and all the equipment is free and easy to install. I did the installation myself and it was fine. Customer support is excellent; any time I have a question or problem, somebody gets on there and helps me and is very patient and takes whatever time is needed to solve my problem. The equipment is fine. I had some instances were it has been set off accidentally, and the police department is here very quickly, very responsive.

Esther Gilligan
May 16th, 2017 Maysville, KY

I think it's a decent company, and I have no problems with them. They've been very good. They've been very positive—every time I had to use customer support, they've been very helpful. I chose them because of the price, and I did the installation myself. The equipment is excellent.

Hank Crismore
May 16th, 2017 Salado, TX

I've had a fair experience with the equipment. I did the installation myself. I wish they could have the door and window sensors better than what they have; they seem to wear out easily. Customer support seems to be really busy, but they're fine. I picked them because I knew someone that had the service.

Dean Anderson
May 16th, 2017 Stanchfield, MN

It takes a long time to get hold of somebody at customer support; you're on the phone for quite a long time... They're pretty good, but I just got disconnected occasionally, and sometimes they don't call back right away. Installation was slow, and I've had a fair experience so far with the equipment. They responded quickly when there is alarm set off and I definitely wouldn't do without alarm system any longer. Price and reputation were my main motives for choosing Protect America.