Contact A Company$100 Satisfaction Guarantee keyboard_arrow_right

Protect America Logo

Protect America

verified
$100 Guarantee
Offers include free Protect America equipment such as motion detectors, door sensors, and window sensors. $0 in up-front costs.

Headquartered in Austin, Texas, Protect America provides self-installed home security systems, monitoring services, and automation solutions, and has serviced nearly half a million homes since 1992. Protect America's monthly fees range from $19.99 to $42.99, and the company provides free equipment with its security services, including a control panel, motion detectors, door sensors, and window sensors.

With an exceptionally low monthly monitoring fee, free equipment, and no upfront fees, Protect America is the leading home security company in the industry. At an 8.9/10 overall score in our ranking of Home Security Companies and a 4.5-star rating from consumers, Protect America is one of the most trusted and high-quality security solutions we've seen. Read the company highlights and see Protect America reviews from real consumers below.

The Good

• Affordable Protect America Cost
  • Home Automation Features
  • Lifetime Equipment Warranty
  • 24/7 Video Monitoring
  • Overwhelmingly Positive Protect America Reviews
  • Almost 30 Years of Experience in the Home Security Industry

Affordable Protect America Cost

Low-cost Monthly Monitoring, Starting at $19.99

Compared to the seemingly countless security provider options, Protect America is an alarm company that beats out competitors on one of the most important factors: price. The starting Protect America cost is as low as $19.99/month, giving customers 24/7 professional monitoring services for a very competitive rate, especially considering that Protect America equipment is included for free and no activation fees are required.

Compared to other do-it-yourself solutions, Protect America prices are very low. Most self-installed security system companies who offer free equipment simply make you pay for it in the form of high-cost monthly monitoring services. This isn't the case with Protect America.

Free Protect America Equipment

While other home security system companies offer free equipment, few match Protect America in both the quantity and quality of the free equipment. Protect America equipment included with most of its packages are as follows:

• One control panel
  • Three door and window sensors
  • One motion detector

The free door and window sensors have a 5-year battery life and can be quickly and easily self-installed. The wireless sensors have a horizontal coverage range of 25 feet and can detect movement by intelligently sensing head emissions (though they are pet-friendly, ignoring movement from objects 40 pounds or less). Protect America equipment is high quality and completely free, beating out the majority of the home security company's competitors.

No Installation Fees

Unlike many other home security companies, Protect America does not charge installation fees. When you sign up for their services, you don't have to risk a burglar targeting your home before you can afford the cost of home security installation. You can get Protect America's protection right away.

Home Automation Features

At less than $20/month, you typically shouldn't expect your home security package to include home automation features; however, Protect America does include wireless control options. Through the company's app, customers are able to view camera footage and control their security system, door locks (additional equipment cost) and lights/appliances (additional equipment cost) from a smartphone. Here is a breakdown of Protect America's home automation options:

Protect America Mobile App

Protect America has a mobile app that gives you control of your home security system from anywhere. From monitoring your entry points and controlling your appliances (garage door, thermostat, lights, & other appliances) to getting 24/7 access to live video of your home, you can stay apprised of your home security at all times and manage your security system with ease. Lastly, the app gives you notifications of any security alerts you need to be aware of, such as suspicious activity or system malfunction.

August Smart Lock Pro

The August Lock is a smart lock you can control and monitor from anywhere at any time with the Protect America app. The door lock works with single cylinder deadbolts and similar to other Protect America security equipment, you can easily install it yourself within minutes.

With Protect America's door sensor and smart door lock, you never have to worry about someone entering your home through the door without you knowing, and you don't have to panic when you forget to lock the door; you can track any activity at your doorstep and remotely lock and secure your door immediately with the Protect America app. This also means you don't have to carry around a home key because you have access to keyless entry with your smart lock.

The August Smart Lock Pro is also compatible with Siri, Alexa, and the Google Assistant, so you can use any of these devices to control your smart lock that way if you prefer. Additionally, the August Lock works with Z-Wave Plus systems as well as Bluetooth.

Linear Garage Door Controller

Through the use of your Protect America app or your security system panel, you can remotely open and close your sectional garage door. This makes it simple to come and go quickly and ensures you can close or open the garage door if you need to while away from home. Your home never has to be left unprotected.

Z-Wave Light & Appliance Module

The Z-Wave module allows you to turn the lights on and off throughout your home as well as gives you the capability to dim them. You can do this through the Protect America app or through a web browser. This wireless control gives your home automation more functionality and increased customization.

Amazon Echo Dot Integration

Protect America's home security system is compatible with the Amazon Echo Dot, which enables you to control your Protect America home automation features with the use of your Amazon Echo. Few home security companies provide such compatibility and universality when it comes to integrating existing home automation equipment with new home security equipment provided by the company.

Lifetime Equipment Warranty

All equipment is covered by a lifetime warranty, meaning Protect America will ship replacement parts for all defective equipment at no charge to the customer. As detailed above, Protect America equipment is also free, including one control panel, three door and window sensors, and one motion detector.

Protect America's alarm system provides monitoring through landline (least expensive), broadband, and cellular communication; it's a rarity for a security company to provide all three of these warranties in the residential security system industry. This type of superior customer service is another way Protect America has set itself apart from its competition.

24/7 Video Monitoring

Protect America has 24/7 live video monitoring for their security cameras. There is also a two-way voice capability service that enables communication on both ends.

Overwhelmingly Positive Protect America Reviews

Protect America reviews are overwhelmingly positive, awarding them a 4.5-star home security rating on BestCompany.com. Reaching nearly 2,000 in quantity, Protect America reviews highlight exceptional customer service, quality equipment, and reasonable prices. Satisfactory Protect America reviews provide peace of mind that the home security company is respected by the majority of its current and past customers. Protect America users are clearly impressed and happy with its products and services.

Almost 30 Years of Experience in the Home Security Industry

Protect America alarm system has been in business since 1992. Having a home security company that has ample amounts of experience in alarm systems and burglar & theft situations can give homeowners peace of mind that their home and family will be in good hands. Protect America has had decades to develop a home security system and alarm monitoring company that is efficient, trustworthy, and affordable.

The Bad

• 36-Month Contract
  • Cancellation Terms
  • Cellular Monitoring

36-Month Contract

Perhaps the least appealing feature of the alarm company for some people is its 36-month contract. However, lengthy contracts aren't unusual in the home security system industry. A somewhat lengthy contract is much more common for companies who offer low-cost monitoring fees and free equipment as Protect America does.

Read Protect America reviews below to see how customers feel about the lengthy contract and the home security provider as a whole.

Cancellation Terms

If a customer decides to cancel their contract before the 36-month term, Protect America requires them to pay the full remaining balance. This isn't uncommon with home security companies, but you should make sure to read the contract and fully understand the terms before you agree to a long-term agreement.

Cellular Monitoring

Although Protect America's price starts at $19.99, that is the cost of landline monitoring only. For customers who want cellular monitoring and remote access to their system, packages start at $41.99/month.

The higher cost for the cellular monitoring is due to the increased services and features available (such as remote control of a security camera, real-time alerts from motion sensors and other home automation features) that are not available with landline monitoring only. $41.99/month for added features and cellular monitoring is still a competitive price and one of the most affordable offers out there.

The Bottom Line

With an impressive array of free equipment, affordable monthly monitoring service, zero upfront costs, and a free moving option, the Protect America security system is one of the most affordable security systems on the market today. Protect America offers an attractive lifetime warranty on its equipment, a full range of monitoring options, as well as extensive home automation features. If you are not interested in signing a two-year contract, Protect America may not be the best fit. However, contracts are not unusual for home security companies and Protect America is one of the most affordable security solutions out there. Also, you may feel more comfortable signing a long-term contract after reading the overwhelmingly positive Protect America reviews (shown below).

These Protect America security reviews indicate the home security provider beats out most of its competition in terms of value for the price, customer service, and satisfaction.

Call our recommended rep over at Protect America below.

4.1

2035 Reviews

Leo P
April 6th, 2017

Responsive and low wait time if you need to call them, HOWEVER, because I have a cat, it triggered the motion sensor. they called me and let me know that the motion sensor was tripped so I had them call my local police dept. When I got home, the police haven't arrived yet (about 10 minutes after the call) so I decided to check the doors and windows and everything looks fine nothing out of place. Since the police haven't yet shown up there was no longer a need for them. I called the monitoring center so they could let the police know that they no longer needed to come out. The monitoring center, who calls the police dept. is UNABLE to call the police back to let them know that everything is Ok and that they don't need to come out here. This is a problem because when the Police come to an alarm and it's a false alarm like this was, they charge us $100 just to come out. I feel like the monitoring center since they can dispatch the police, should be able to call them back and ask them to cancel the call so we don't get charged for a false alarm.

Patrina Rodriguez
March 29th, 2017 Glen Burnie, MD

Tried to cancel after 30 months of service due to transfer out of state was told could not because of locked in 36 month contract.. NO EXCEPTIONS. Tried to prepay remaining 6 months told could not had to have payment deducted every month and call back in 5 months to give 30 days notice to cancel. Horrible policy. Would not recommend. You never know what can happen in 36 months and I never heard of a company that would not take a prepaid payment!

David Kinsey
March 28th, 2017 Dublin, OH

The biggest issue this company has with it's equipment is the sensors it supplies that stick to your windows with sticky tape and Velcro and if the sun is shinning on the window the excess heat causes them to fall off the window & set off the alarm. They also have a one size/style fits all style of sensors and that doesn't work on our windows because we have the crank out type and the sensors don't mate up with each other like they should.

Coty
March 21st, 2017

I have a problem with the timing. I wasn't sure about the company because I dont know how well I am protected. It uses some of the less fortunate costumers as a sales tactic and that is not why I came here to this company. It gives out free samples knowing that the product is harmful. It confuses me while I am trying to fully understant how company works. The directions from associates are rarely acurate which causes reason to doubt the goals of productivity. All this combined with more free samples from untrusted associate freezes my want to participate even tho i do know this company be what I need for a safer more productive life. Bottom line too much contradicting peices pushing and pulling in to many ways.

Edward Gundrum
February 21st, 2017 Lebanon, PA

Very easy to set up and it take no time to set up. Every time I've called they have an answer for me and I had no problem so far dealing with them so good company.

M
February 21st, 2017 Kingsport, TN

they do what they said they'd do and they're just very good.

Debra Jones
February 21st, 2017 Myrtle Beach, SC

They're a great company, they've done what I wanted done. I don't have a problem with them at all

Furman Smith
February 21st, 2017 Hartsville, SC

I think they need to come up with a system where you don't need a home phone. The sales people have been okay - not outstanding.

Novella Durham
February 21st, 2017 Reidsville, NC

The service is okay. A lot of times I think it take them a few minutes to call you back and sometimes they don't even call you back. The way it's set up, if you go in and cancel the call, they won't call you back. If I'm coming in and I open the door and the alarm goes off, I cut it off with my key chain on my key, but nobody ever calls me.

C
February 21st, 2017 Chandler, AZ

I recently bought something from them and I added it to my system and that was well. Their costs are very good and not as expensive as most of these well known companies. I like that.

Josefina Munsayac
February 21st, 2017 Elk Grove, CA

My friend just told me that there's an alarm company that is cheaper from the one I had so I got Protect America. I always have calls from somebody or somebody open the door actually what happened is you cannot defense or gets bad and then they sent the policeman take a look at it, protect our house that's the experience that I had from them.

Susan Olney
February 21st, 2017 Rio Rancho, NM

I'm having a hard time using it actually / I don't really use it to much

KC
February 21st, 2017 Walpole, NH

I was extremely pleased with it because they walk me through every part of the process, they made it easy.

ME
February 21st, 2017 Chattanooga, TN

A young man came through selling home alarm systems. He was going door to door selling the system. It's been somewhat great, they don't return in calls as well as they should.

Dave Tomblin
February 21st, 2017 Huntington, WV

Anytime I had a problem they always been able to solve it

Theo Jack
February 21st, 2017 Jacksonville, FL

I haven't got with sales since I used them so I guess I would say they are good because I like the service. It's very simple

Eddy and Maria Muniz
February 21st, 2017 Miami, FL

it was very straight forward. there's not much to it. You open the box you set it up, you call them they walk you through it that's it. I mean they tell you exactly what to do, it was very helpful and very quick and simple, that' it...

Harry Smith
February 21st, 2017 Waymart, PA

I believe that they do need to be in touch with their customers more often than they are to see if there's anything you need or anything that needs to be upgraded or anything like that. They never call you, you always have to call them so you know if you have a problem they never call to see if everything is okay or if you need any help with your equipment or anything. I had an incident in a couple weeks ago where I accidentally hit the button and it set off the alarm and they called right away but the equipment we had a lot of problems with the equipment.

Janice Grochowski
February 21st, 2017 Barstow, CA

We have the home security system. They kept me very safe, in fact on a Christmas eve somebody threw a break to my back window and entered the house and as soon as the alarm went off they went out the front door, nothing was missing so they did their job. they've kept me safe twice so one time somebody tried to break in and they actually caught him during the break in.

Daniel Arroyo
February 21st, 2017 Auburn, WA

For the price it's okay. I needed an alarm because I do travel from time to time and I use to make sure that while I was traveling my house is gonna be safe. I haven't talked to the sales team in a while so I mean other than when I initially bought my system so again it's okay

Phyllis and Michael Dusenbery
February 21st, 2017 Kansas City, MO

We just recently moved about 5 years ago when we bought our equipment with them, it's been good we need to have replace, we replaced it w/o no problem it didn't cost us anything extra or that kind of stuff. Customer support has been really good.

Kelly Williams
February 21st, 2017 Grandview, MO

Every time I call they always help and I get the work done the first time correct.

Linda Ralston
February 21st, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I just wanted to be safe and my home and protect it when I was not here. I think that they're very responsive to helping you if you have any problems you can call them and I think that's an important issue with being able to call them at any moment. I recommend it to anyone, you don't have to be a technology wizard to be able to do it.

Wilson/ Barbara Vinson
February 21st, 2017 Murfreesboro, NC

The guys at Protect America are 100% - no problem with them, I call them up and whoever I talk to if I have a problem they get it's straight right away. The only thing I can say is anybody that go with them should be a 100% satisfied with them because they don't give you no bull and run around, they straight upfront with you.

Denise and Charles Clayton
February 21st, 2017 Greensboro, NC

Protect America has been very professional. We went with them because of the price

Mary Hinton
February 21st, 2017 Spring Hope, NC

I'm a bit dissatisfied because they basically refused to send someone out to correct what needs to be corrected. The equipment is fine when it works

Walter Crawford
February 21st, 2017 Redford Charter, MI

I need to get in contact with them because after this I still need a couple of things to be done around my home, that is a couple of windows that I need to be cover. The sales team is really good.

Sherrie and Steven Humbertson
February 21st, 2017 Winchester, VA

They've always been really great about if we wanted to add anything else on, they've always been very helpful and whenever we add something on they make it happen very quickly and we never had an issue at all with them. Overall, they've been pretty easy to work with and we're pretty satisfied.

Joe
February 21st, 2017 Huntington Station, NY

I have the Simon alarm system. It's very easy to use.

Danny Rhoton
February 21st, 2017 White Pine, TN

I recommend it to everybody. All I can say is they're excellent people to work with, I get along with them good and everything and they just fantastic, amazing

Dorothy Rall
February 21st, 2017 Litchfield Park, AZ

"I was using ADT and was not happy with their system and I get some research and found out about Protect America and then there was a true wireless systems that you could just basically bell - prompt to your location that you needed and it's very appealing to me and I like the way the website looks for the company and all the different comments and everything else lifted so I called them and decided to keep going with it and that's the time I was in Anaheim CA and I had just had my garage burglarized so after that episode is when I decided I needed to have a little bit better safety monitoring, security monitoring in my house. Protect America works and I'll give you an example: if you unfortunately trigger the system by yourself and don't reach the way to turn it off in time Protect America gives a quick calls just to make sure you're not being invaded or broken into or anything like that so it's nice to always have safeguard where they call you and that was very good and it's quick too it's within seconds after you reach that point so it's kind of a nice safeguard and I do like the fact that monthly they want you to do system check to make sure everything's working well."

Barney & Carol
February 21st, 2017 Lebanon, KY

Their sales team is superior, I mean they work with us in any big any way possible that you know, we've upgraded up lot since we first started with them so we just really like them. Other than like I said we are very happy customers and we're with them for 16+ years and like I say we've actually changed, we upgraded our system a couple of times and when we first started with them all you could get was just alarm for your doors and windows and now we have..if somebody breaks up a glass the alarm goes off we have the fire, the fire alarm go out and they call the police and fire departments for you and to me you can't just get no better than what they are

Brenda Harris
February 21st, 2017 Moxee, WA

I'm very satisfied with the sales team. I was very satisfied with them until I get the new monitor and then I wasn't able to get the alarm on the door so they sent me some other stuff to do it with.

Anna Lasalle
February 21st, 2017 Carrollton, VA

Many years ago they we're in the area and they just came to the door. Since the the service has been declining. We were with them for like 15 years and we're still using the same equipment and the biggest thing is they don't have anyone in the area to come in and help you if you need it installed, you're own your own.

Reginald Williams
February 21st, 2017 Chesapeake, VA

Great experience, no problems at all. They have a great customer service team, they're patient, they give you a lot of attention to ensure that the equipment is working properly.

Delores White
February 21st, 2017 Gonzales, LA

I have the doors and window sensor. I have a motion detector and that's all I got, just the basic alarm with the doors and windows and the motion detector. Love them... I never had any problems with them and if I did have a problem or something I needed to be troubleshot I'll call them and they walked me through it and I never had a problem. I'm 100% satisfied with them because one day I called and he noticed that I had an older system and he told me about upgrading me to the new system and stuff like that 'cause things had changed and I didn't know about that until I called and he offered to put me a new system and they sent it right out so they upgraded it. just over all it's just a great company I never had any problem with them compare to some of the things I heard people say about other alarm companies. It's very easy it's not complicated, you can install it yourself and if you do need help there's a 1800 number where you can call for tech support..it's not really difficult at all because I done it myself.

Mary Bell
February 21st, 2017 Havelock, NC

Well my husband died and my children feel like I needed a security system. Everything works fine. They've always been there when I needed

Sterling Hyden
February 21st, 2017 Corsicana, TX

They're great, easy to work with. Everything was easy to set up and everything was pretty well self explained on how to set it up.

Crystal Strait
February 21st, 2017 Sidney, MT

Very satisfied. They're just very helpful whenever you need something and the equipment works well.

Floyd & Jessie Lawrence
February 21st, 2017 Newton, NC

We had some problems but but their people help us out greatly and ever since then it's been working just fine. Overall, the service has been pretty good.