Headquartered in Austin, Texas, Protect America provides self-installed home security systems, GPS, monitoring services, and automation solutions, and has serviced nearly half a million homes since 1992.

Protect America's monthly fees range from $19.99 to $42.99, and the company provides free equipment with its security services, including a control panel, motion detectors, door sensors, and window sensors.

With an exceptionally low monthly monitoring fee, free equipment, and no upfront fees, Protect America is the leading home security company in the industry. The company has the highest overall rating in the home security industry on BestCompany.com as well as a quality star rating from consumers.

Protect America is one of the most trusted and high-quality security solutions we've seen. Read the company highlights and see Protect America reviews from real consumers below.

Click Here to Read Protect America Reviews

The Good

• Protect America Cost
  • DIY Installation
  • Home Automation Features
  • Lifetime Equipment Warranty
  • Variety of Home Security Packages
  • 24/7 Video Monitoring
  • Industry Experience
  • Protect America Reviews

Protect America Cost

Protect America's monthly fee ranges from $19.99$41.99. With these prices, the yearly cost ranges from $239–$503. Protect America's complete cost over the course of the 36-month contract ranges from $719–$1,511.

This price includes 24/7 monitoring, no installation or equipment fees, a price match guarantee, and a locked-in rate. Customers who purchase Protect America's basic home security package will pay $19.99 per month, and customers who purchase the more advanced package with cellular monitoring and remote access to their system will pay $41.99 per month.

The higher cost for the cellular monitoring is due to the increased services and features (such as remote control of a security camera, real-time alerts from motion sensors, and other home automation features) that are not available with landline monitoring only.

$41.99 per month for added features and cellular monitoring is still a competitive price and one of the most affordable offers in the market.

Compared to other do-it-yourself solutions, Protect America prices are very low. Most self-installed security system companies offering free equipment simply make you pay for it in the form of high-cost monthly monitoring services. This isn't the case with Protect America.

Free Protect America Equipment

While other home security system companies offer free equipment, few match Protect America in both the quantity and quality of the free equipment. Protect America equipment cost is absolutely free and includes the following with most of its packages:

• 1 control panel
  • 3 door and window sensors
  • 1 motion detector

The free door and window sensors have a 5-year battery life and can be quickly and easily self-installed. The wireless sensors have a horizontal coverage range of 25 feet and can detect movement by intelligently sensing head emissions. They are pet-friendly, ignoring movement from objects 40 pounds or less.

Protect America equipment cost is completely free and is known for its high quality, beating out the majority of the home security company's competitors.

No Installation Fees

Unlike many other home security companies, Protect America does not charge installation fees. When you sign up for their services, you don't have to risk a burglar targeting your home before you can afford the cost of home security installation. You can get Protect America's protection right away.

Money-Back Guarantee

Protect America offers a 30-day money-back guarantee on all of its products. This gives customers time to test out the company's service and its security system before fully committing to the contract.

DIY Installation

Protect America's home security system is a do-it-yourself solution that takes less than one hour to set up. DIY security systems are convenient because it allows consumers to skip pricey and lengthy professional installations.

Many home security providers require costly professional installation and can take weeks to set up a date and time that works with the customer's schedule. Customers are also likely to be more familiar with the security equipment since they are the ones setting it up.

Many Protect America reviews below reference the quick and simple installation as a major benefit and relief.

Home Automation Features

At less than $20 per month, you typically shouldn't expect your home security package to include home automation features; however, Protect America does include wireless control options.

Through the company's app, customers are able to view camera footage and control their security system, door locks (additional equipment cost) and lights/appliances (additional equipment cost) from a smartphone. Here is a breakdown of Protect America's home automation options:

Protect America Mobile App

Protect America's mobile app gives you control of your home security system from anywhere. From monitoring your entry points and controlling your appliances (garage door, thermostat, lights, and other appliances) to getting 24/7 access to live video of your home, you can stay apprised of your home security at all times and manage your security system with ease.

The app also sends notifications of any security alerts you need to be aware of, such as suspicious activity or system malfunction.

August Smart Lock Pro

The August Lock is a smart lock you can control and monitor from anywhere at any time with the Protect America app. The door lock works with single cylinder deadbolts and similar to other Protect America security equipment, you can easily install it yourself within minutes.

With Protect America's door sensor and smart door lock, you never have to worry about someone entering your home through the door without you knowing, and you don't have to panic when you forget to lock the door; you can track any activity at your doorstep and remotely lock and secure your door immediately with the Protect America app.

This also means you don't have to carry around a home key because you have access to keyless entry with your smart lock. The August Smart Lock Pro is also compatible with Siri, Alexa, and the Google Assistant, so you can use any of these devices to control your smart lock that way if you prefer. Additionally, the August Lock works with Z-Wave Plus systems as well as Bluetooth.

Linear Garage Door Controller

Through the use of your Protect America app or your security system panel, you can remotely open and close your sectional garage door. This makes it simple to come and go quickly and ensures you can close or open the garage door while away from home. Your home never has to be left unprotected.

Z-Wave Light and Appliance Module

The Z-Wave technology module allows you to turn the lights on and off throughout your home as well as dim them. You can do this through the Protect America app or through a web browser. This wireless control gives your home automation more functionality and increased customization.

Amazon Echo Dot Integration

Protect America's home security system is compatible with the Amazon Echo Dot, which enables you to control your Protect America home automation features with the use of your Amazon Echo.

Few home security companies provide such compatibility and universality when it comes to integrating existing home automation equipment with new home security equipment provided by the company.

Lifetime Equipment Warranty

All equipment is covered by a lifetime warranty, meaning Protect America will ship replacement parts for all defective equipment at no charge to the customer. As detailed above, Protect America equipment is also free, including one control panel, three door and window sensors, and one motion detector.

Protect America's alarm system provides monitoring through landline (least expensive), broadband, and cellular communication; it's a rarity for a security company to provide all three of these warranties in the residential security system industry.

This type of superior customer service is another way Protect America has set itself apart from its competition.

Variety of Home Security Packages

Protect America offers multiple home security packages that you can customize to fit your particular needs. Each package includes free equipment, free activation, and professional 24/7 monitoring.

You can also upgrade any package to include smart home automation capabilities. For a customized instant quote, you can contact Protect America through the "Visit Site" button at the top of this profile page. Package details for Protect America's three main home security plans are below:

Copper Package

• 3 door/window sensors

Silver Package

• 9 door/window sensors

Platinum Package

• 14 door/window sensors

24/7 Video Monitoring

Protect America's security cameras have 24/7 live video monitoring. There is also a two-way voice capability service that enables communication on both ends. Read Protect America security reviews below to see what customers have to say about video monitoring capabilities.

Industry Experience

Protect America alarm system has been in business since 1992. Having a home security company that has ample experience in alarm systems and burglar and theft situations can give homeowners peace of mind that their home and family will be in good hands.

Protect America has had decades to develop a home security system and alarm monitoring company that is efficient, trustworthy, and affordable.

Protect America Reviews

Protect America reviews are overwhelmingly positive, awarding them an extremely high star rating from consumers. Protect America reviews highlight exceptional customer service, quality equipment, simple installation, and affordable prices.

Satisfactory reviews for Protect America provide peace of mind that the home security company is respected by the majority of its customers. Protect America users are clearly impressed and happy with its products and services.

The Bad

• 36-Month Contract
  • Cancellation Terms

36-Month Contract

Perhaps the least appealing feature of the alarm company for some people is its 36-month contract. However, lengthy contracts aren't unusual in the home security system industry.

A somewhat lengthy contract is much more common for companies that offer low-cost monitoring fees and free equipment as Protect America does. Read Protect America reviews below to see how customers feel about the lengthy contract and the home security provider as a whole.

Cancellation Terms

If customers decide to cancel their contracts before the 36-month term, Protect America requires them to pay the remaining balance. However, this isn't uncommon with home security companies and Protect America offers an extremely low monthly monitoring fee with no upfront fees or equipment costs.

With this in mind, the long-term contract and cancellation terms may not be a problem.

The Bottom Line

With an impressive array of free equipment, affordable monthly monitoring service, zero upfront costs, and a free moving option, the Protect America security system is one of the most affordable security systems on the market today.

Protect America offers an attractive lifetime warranty on its equipment, a full range of monitoring options, as well as extensive home automation features.

Protect America does require a contract; however, contracts are not unusual for home security companies and Protect America's prices are one of the most affordable security solutions in the market. Also, you may feel more comfortable signing a long-term contract after reading the overwhelmingly positive Protect America reviews (shown below).

Protect America security reviews indicate the home security provider beats out most of its competition in terms of value for the price, customer service, and satisfaction.

Call our recommended rep over at Protect America below.

Norma Butler
June 27th, 2017 Mabelvale, AR

After seeing one of their advertisements, I thought Protect America was a good deal, so I went with it, So far, I haven't had a problem with them. Every time I call, I get a good answer to my questions and so forth. Plus, I did the installation myself, they just sent me all the equipment. The only thing I do have to day is that I need an upgrade. I've had this for quite a while, so I'm going call and see if I could get an upgrade package.

Ronald Carlson
June 27th, 2017 Baytown, TX

I installed the system myself, and it's worked fine so far. Their support team is great, they always call back when I need service

Phillip Ward
June 27th, 2017 Huntsville, AL

My customer support with Protect America has been great, it's been really good. I just wanted a security company and that's the company that was available. The equipment is excellent, and with the self-installation, I did install it myself. I think the prices are reasonable; it's a good price with their service.

Beverly Hoy
June 27th, 2017 Santee, CA

I went with them because they came to my door when my house is brand new. The installation was easy, and they just came in and put everything up and then tested it. Their customer service has been pretty good, and so far it's been pretty good overall, too, but one of the sensors broke and then I had to kind of argue with them to give me a new one for free.

Juanita Thomas
June 27th, 2017 Linden, AL

I originally chose Protect America because of the price, but it's changed over the years. Their customer service team is very good, and they also did a pretty good job with the installation. It's been a fair experience overall so far, because of the price and the monitors; the batteries didn't hold up all that well.

Janier Caban-Hernandez
June 27th, 2017 Hartford, CT

I've had it for years, I think part of the reason for getting it was the price and the other part was the ease of setting it up. Every time I call customer service, they've been right on target. They walk through what ever issues I have to my satisfaction, and I've been very happy with the service that they provided. Installation was easy enough; I just I spoke to them to ask where I should stick my phone to the wall and how to adjust it so that I could pick up all of the different sensors I had in the house. So far I'm very happy with the equipment. They've all worked. I'm satisfied with the price. My overall experience has been very positive. They've been very accommodating, they answer all my questions and when they say they'll call me back, they call me back.

Minnie Wilson
June 27th, 2017 Brooklyn, NY

A friend told me about it. So far it's been very good. Whenever I called about an issue it's gotten resolved, so I've had nothing but a good experience. They don't do installation; they send you everything and you do the installation yourself, that's the only downside of it, but my daughter helped me with that. The equipment itself is very good, though.

Jerry Bowling
June 27th, 2017 Searcy, AR

Overall I'm pleased with what I've got, Protect America. I heard about them because they had a good reputation. I had worked as a police officer prior to going with that alarm company, and I had never answered false alarms at Protect America alarm systems. They've been helpful virtually whenever I've had an issue. Installation is easy, simple, not hard at all.

Jairo Perez
June 27th, 2017 Anaheim, CA

Customer service is very good! They always pick up the phone, and there's always somebody willing to help. If someone doesn't help, or cannot help at the time, they escalate it to a supervisor, and they always get back to you on time. I have had Protect America for at least 8 years now, and it's been excellent!

Joan Ness
June 27th, 2017 Stonington, CT

I think Protect America is a reliable company. They walked me through the whole installation process. We ordered the materials, they sent them and walked us through setting it up. Their representatives have been excellent. They've solved every problem I've had. When I have an issue, they stay on the line and take care of it. I love the service! It's very good.

Lee Ward
June 27th, 2017 Methuen, MA

Their representatives have been generally good, but sometimes it takes them a long time to answer the phone. Besides that, the equipment is a self-install system, and it was pretty easy. I do have to say that I've got one or two hiccups with it, but I've had, overall, good performance for the past 3 or 4 years.

Noah Shaheed
June 27th, 2017 South Boston, VA

It's been a really good service. I haven't had any problem, other than changing the battery. Their customer support was excellent as well. I got the proper support anytime I call.

Kathy Armstrong
June 27th, 2017 McKees Rocks, PA

One time, my husband was cooking and the smoke alarm went off, and the police and firefighters were here very promptly. Plus, the equipment itself is very good, and installing it was easy!

Frank Light
June 27th, 2017 Jurupa Valley, CA

They're always right there for you. I haven't used it much, and I've even had a few false alarms and things like that nature, but never had a problem. It's been a really good service.

Cheryl Hipp
June 27th, 2017 West Columbia, SC

I liked the individuals that called me to purchase Protect America, and the fact that nobody came to my house. I just did it myself. It's all been excellent.

Gloria Parker
June 27th, 2017 Ahoskie, NC

Although I did have a little bit of trouble setting up the system myself, they talked me through the entire process. Their customer service agents were excellent!

Brian Pollard
June 27th, 2017 Northville, MI

What made me go for Protect America was the fact that you could install it yourself; it was easy. So far, it's worked fine.

Frank Klembecki
June 27th, 2017 Moscow, PA

I haven't used it that much, but I haven't had any problem either. The equipment itself is satisfactory, and installing the system was not that hard, I did it myself. .

Fred Winters
June 27th, 2017 Hughes Springs, TX

Protect America's equipment is excellent! We haven't had a problem with it, and their representatives are great as well! I like that they provide wireless opportunity to protect our home. Besides, it was easy to install the system. Definitely a positive experience.

Eugene Willingham
June 27th, 2017 Buena Park, CA

Their customer support team consumes your time a bit, but they're very helpful. It did take a lot of time to install the system, but I guess it was worth it. I do have to say that the equipment looks outdated. They should update it.

Eldon Dodds
June 27th, 2017 Murchison, TX

Their customer support team was mostly good; however, I do have to say that we couldn't even use our system anymore. It was too old. They told us they'd send us a new one, which we would have to install ourselves. I just wish they could fix the equipment every time something went wrong, instead of having us do it.

Ronald Beebe
June 27th, 2017 Alford, FL

The ease in installing system is what really made us go for Protect America. It was very easy, and the equipment is extremely good! Every time I call they're very helpful. They'll walk me through any problem I've got, and I'm just totally satisfied. I even got Protect America set up in 2 different houses.

Brenda Wernke
June 27th, 2017 Bremerton, WA

They are excellent people to deal with. The installation process was very good, and the prices were great as well! I just liked them.

Phyllis Williams
June 27th, 2017 Gastonia, NC

Every communication I've had with them has been very satisfactory. I haven't had any problem that was not solved. Although it did take me a while to install the system, somebody assisted me through the phone. The only inconvenience I had was when my battery gave out, so I called them for assistance. I wasn't able to put the battery in myself, so they just sent me a new console. They've offered such a good service; I've always been satisfied.

Portia Bohannon-Ramsey
June 27th, 2017 Chicago, IL

I've had good experience with them, no problems. Installing the system was pretty easy as well. They walked me through the process on the phone. I've set off the alarm a few times, and the police came over and solved it. That just shows it works.

E.J.
June 27th, 2017 Texarkana, TX

They do a good job when it comes to customer support. We actually chose Protect America because it was the best company available at the time. They've offered a positive experience so far.

Ebony Randle
June 27th, 2017 Lansing, MI

I love them! They can answer all the questions that I need answers to, and they just do everything I need them to do. This is a self-install system, and they walked me through it. It's pretty straightforward actually. We just love the experience, their customer service and their ethics. They're one of those companies you should work with.

Lisa Marling
June 27th, 2017 Franklin, NC

It wasn't hard to install the system, and it's worked very well so far. Plus, they excellent customer service, and they're good answering questions over the phone.

Louis Smith
June 27th, 2017 Columbus, NC

They've done a good job for us. It's been over 25 years since we purchased their service, and it's been very good. They have kept a good rating this whole time. Anytime we had problems, they would transfer you over to somebody that could help. They even sent parts for us to install. All I can say is we've been very satisfied with Protect America.

June 27th, 2017 Buckeye, AZ

We love it! We like the portability of it, and the fact that the customer service is great! They've always been very receptive when we've called. We've also upgraded our system a couple of times, and even moved recently out of state. They were very helpful in getting installed in our new home. On top of that, our monthly alarm check is always helpful as well.

Jason Peugh
June 27th, 2017 Edmonton, KY

They're usually quick to answer every time I call them. Plus, they're also quick when something needs to be done. It's just a good equipment and service that has a reasonable price.

Resort Acheson
June 27th, 2017 Lakeview, OH

Their customer support is just super! They're nice, absolutely adorable, good looking and super good. I have no problems with them. Plus, setting up the system was simple, easy, and self-explanatory. Everybody knows they're the best service around.

June 27th, 2017 Troy, MO

We're senior citizens, and were able to install the system ourselves, so that's good. Plus, it's worked just fine so far. The only thing I'd like to say is that I'd like to have a light for my yard sign. The one they sent me didn't last long at all.

Miriam Trezevant
June 27th, 2017 Winnsboro, SC

I chose Protect America because it was convenient and priceless. So far, I've enjoyed the equipment. It's very good and very dependable. Plus, installing it was easy. I just think it's a good company.

Joyce Wright
June 27th, 2017 Gretna, VA

The installation process was quick and easy, and the equipment seems to work just fine. Their customer support has been good as well, so everything seems to be working.

Virginia Lee
June 27th, 2017 Mary Esther, FL

I really haven't had too much opportunity to use them. My alarm went off by accident once, and I couldn't shut it off. The police showed up, and the Protect America team convinced them that everything was okay. Besides that, I haven't had much interaction with them. I don't know how I would describe my experience with them, because I can't stop the alarm from beeping every 10 to 15 minutes. Actually, I would only think about activating it, if I were to go out of town.

Judy Haning
June 20th, 2017 Minneapolis, MN

Impossible to cancel. I have been trying to cancel my service since January. Finally gave up and filed a complaint with the Minnesota attorney general's office.

Apr 29, 2019

Thank you for your feedback. If you have a chance, please reply via 'private response' with the full name & address associated with your account. Once we have this information, a team member will reach out to you to work through the above-mentioned issues. Thank you and we look forward to hearing back!

David Cox
June 5th, 2017

Long on-hold time when you call for tech support. You have to repair equipment yourself, and you must give them 30 days advance notice to cancel or they will charge you, as they did me, for an extra month. Protect America protects their bottom line.

Apr 28, 2019

thomas carlson
May 19th, 2017 Phenix City, AL

Sales person "Maleak" very bad on the phone

Apr 29, 2019

Mylaunna Lee
May 18th, 2017 Diamond Bar, CA

Stay Away! First red flag, their technical support is only open from 7am to midnight. I was a long time customer, and recently discontinued their services. Customer service is subpar. If you have an issue with your system, ex. constant beeping, technical support will walk you through a temporary fix. Mine lasted 10 mins. The earliest they can send someone out to assist is after 7 days. Do they really expect someone to listen to beeping sounds for 7 days. Red flag #2, equipment is outdated. 2 weeks after install, you have to wait for someone to either update your equipment, or change the batteries in the equipment - which has to be changed to often. When you do call with an issue, they're more interested in renewing your contract rather than resolving your issue. I had to go through 6 pp, (unfortunately I had to yell at the last one) in order to close my account. Trust me when I say steer clear.

Apr 28, 2019

Thankappa Balaji
May 16th, 2017 Willowbrook, IL

It signed up with them a long time back and it was easy to install and think it's pretty good.

Meeks Auto
May 16th, 2017 Colorado City, TX

I did the installation myself. That and the equipment have been alright. The cost is high, but that's alright.

Bruce Broadbent
May 16th, 2017 American Fork, UT

I chose Protect America for their descent reputation and best seller uprising. All my interactions have been positive with them over the years. And I actually get the installation - so that's great!

Samuel Weaver
May 16th, 2017 Mountain Home, AR

I think the equipment is questionable. They call me for a bill they think I'm gonna cheat them off for some money.

Dinesh Sawhley
May 16th, 2017 Alamo, CA

So far so good, working for five years. We originally chose them for the price and today we're satisfied

Charles Williams
May 16th, 2017 Nevada, TX

I've very happy with my system. I chose it because people I know have it. Customer service, and installation have all been great

Marjorie Hoosier
May 16th, 2017 Silsbee, TX

Everything's always been good, no problems from customer support. I did the installation

Carl Ciervo
May 16th, 2017 Hampstead, NC

We did self-installation and went with Protect America for the cost. The customer support is good

Bobby Price
May 16th, 2017 Centre, AL

I've not had any, like I said we haven't had any problems for breaking in to burglary or anything. But, when my alarm accidentally goes off, they respond. The equipment is good so far!

Arthur Williams
May 16th, 2017 Seale, AL

They've been very nice and cooperative and helpful. System was easy to install