Protect America

verified

Protect America

verified
Offers include free Protect America equipment such as motion detectors, door sensors, and window sensors. $0 in up-front costs.

Headquartered in Austin, Texas, Protect America provides self-installed home security systems, GPS, monitoring services, and automation solutions, and has serviced nearly half a million homes since 1992. Protect America's monthly fees range from $19.99 to $42.99, and the company provides free equipment with its security services, including a control panel, motion detectors, door sensors, and window sensors.

With an exceptionally low monthly monitoring fee, free equipment, and no upfront fees, Protect America is the leading home security company in the industry. The company has the highest overall rating in the home security industry as well as a quality star rating from consumers. Protect America is one of the most trusted and high-quality security solutions we've seen. Read the company highlights and see Protect America reviews from real consumers below.

Click Here to Read Protect America Reviews

The Good

• Protect America Cost
  • DIY Installation
  • Home Automation Features
  • Lifetime Equipment Warranty
  • Variety of Home Security Packages
  • 24/7 Video Monitoring
  • Almost 30 Years of Experience in the Home Security Industry
  • Protect America Reviews

Protect America Cost

Protect America's monthly fee ranges from $19.99 - $41.99. With said prices, the yearly cost ranges from $239 - $503. Protect America's complete cost over the course of the 36-month contract ranges from $719 to $1,511. This price includes 24/7 monitoring, no installation or equipment fees, a price match guarantee, and a locked-in rate. Customers who purchase Protect America's basic home security package will pay $19.99/mo, and customers who purchase the more advanced package with cellular monitoring and remote access to their system will pay $41.99/mo.

The higher cost for the cellular monitoring is due to the increased services and features available (such as remote control of a security camera, real-time alerts from motion sensors and other home automation features) that are not available with landline monitoring only. $41.99/month for added features and cellular monitoring is still a competitive price and one of the most affordable offers out there.

Compared to other do-it-yourself solutions, Protect America prices are very low. Most self-installed security system companies who offer free equipment simply make you pay for it in the form of high-cost monthly monitoring services. This isn't the case with Protect America.

Free Protect America Equipment

While other home security system companies offer free equipment, few match Protect America in both the quantity and quality of the free equipment. Protect America equipment cost is absolutely free and included with most of its packages is:

• One control panel
  • Three door and window sensors
  • One motion detector

The free door and window sensors have a 5-year battery life and can be quickly and easily self-installed. The wireless sensors have a horizontal coverage range of 25 feet and can detect movement by intelligently sensing head emissions (though they are pet-friendly, ignoring movement from objects 40 pounds or less). Protect America equipment cost is completely free and is known for its high quality, beating out the majority of the home security company's competitors.

No Installation Fees

Unlike many other home security companies, Protect America does not charge installation fees. When you sign up for their services, you don't have to risk a burglar targeting your home before you can afford the cost of home security installation. You can get Protect America's protection right away.

DIY Installation

Protect America's home security system is a do-it-yourself solution that takes less than one hour to set up. DIY security systems are convenient because it allows consumers to skip pricey and lengthy professional installations. Many home security providers require a costly professional installation and can take weeks to set up a date and time that works with the customer's schedule. Customers are also likely to be more familiar with the security equipment since they are the ones setting it up.

Many Protect America reviews below reference the quick and simple installation as a major benefit and relief.

Home Automation Features

At less than $20/month, you typically shouldn't expect your home security package to include home automation features; however, Protect America does include wireless control options. Through the company's app, customers are able to view camera footage and control their security system, door locks (additional equipment cost) and lights/appliances (additional equipment cost) from a smartphone. Here is a breakdown of Protect America's home automation options:

Protect America Mobile App

Protect America has a mobile app that gives you control of your home security system from anywhere. From monitoring your entry points and controlling your appliances (garage door, thermostat, lights, & other appliances) to getting 24/7 access to live video of your home, you can stay apprised of your home security at all times and manage your security system with ease. Lastly, the app gives you notifications of any security alerts you need to be aware of, such as suspicious activity or system malfunction.

August Smart Lock Pro

The August Lock is a smart lock you can control and monitor from anywhere at any time with the Protect America app. The door lock works with single cylinder deadbolts and similar to other Protect America security equipment, you can easily install it yourself within minutes.

With Protect America's door sensor and smart door lock, you never have to worry about someone entering your home through the door without you knowing, and you don't have to panic when you forget to lock the door; you can track any activity at your doorstep and remotely lock and secure your door immediately with the Protect America app. This also means you don't have to carry around a home key because you have access to keyless entry with your smart lock.

The August Smart Lock Pro is also compatible with Siri, Alexa, and the Google Assistant, so you can use any of these devices to control your smart lock that way if you prefer. Additionally, the August Lock works with Z-Wave Plus systems as well as Bluetooth.

Linear Garage Door Controller

Through the use of your Protect America app or your security system panel, you can remotely open and close your sectional garage door. This makes it simple to come and go quickly and ensures you can close or open the garage door if you need to while away from home. Your home never has to be left unprotected.

Z-Wave Light & Appliance Module

The Z-Wave technology module allows you to turn the lights on and off throughout your home as well as gives you the capability to dim them. You can do this through the Protect America app or through a web browser. This wireless control gives your home automation more functionality and increased customization.

Amazon Echo Dot Integration

Protect America's home security system is compatible with the Amazon Echo Dot, which enables you to control your Protect America home automation features with the use of your Amazon Echo. Few home security companies provide such compatibility and universality when it comes to integrating existing home automation equipment with new home security equipment provided by the company.

Lifetime Equipment Warranty

All equipment is covered by a lifetime warranty, meaning Protect America will ship replacement parts for all defective equipment at no charge to the customer. As detailed above, Protect America equipment is also free, including one control panel, three door and window sensors, and one motion detector.

Protect America's alarm system provides monitoring through landline (least expensive), broadband, and cellular communication; it's a rarity for a security company to provide all three of these warranties in the residential security system industry. This type of superior customer service is another way Protect America has set itself apart from its competition.

Variety of Home Security Packages

Protect America offers multiple home security packages that you can customize to fit your particular needs. Each package includes free equipment, free activation, and professional 24/7 monitoring. You can also upgrade any package to include smart home automation capabilities. For a customized instant quote, you can contact Protect America through the "Visit Site" button at the top of this profile page. Package details for Protect America's three main home security plans are below:

Copper Package

• 3 Door/window sensors

Silver Package

• 9 Door/window sensors

Platinum Package

• 14 Door/window sensors

24/7 Video Monitoring

Protect America has 24/7 live video monitoring for their security cameras. There is also a two-way voice capability service that enables communication on both ends. Read Protect America security reviews below to see what customers have to say about video monitoring capabilities.

Almost 30 Years of Experience in the Home Security Industry

Protect America alarm system has been in business since 1992. Having a home security company that has ample amounts of experience in alarm systems and burglar & theft situations can give homeowners peace of mind that their home and family will be in good hands. Protect America has had decades to develop a home security system and alarm monitoring company that is efficient, trustworthy, and affordable.

Protect America Reviews

Protect America reviews are overwhelmingly positive, awarding them an extremely high star rating from consumers. Protect America reviews highlight exceptional customer service, quality equipment, simple installation, and affordable prices. Satisfactory Protect America reviews provide peace of mind that the home security company is respected by the majority of its customers. Protect America users are clearly impressed and happy with its products and services.

The Bad

• 36-Month Contract
  • Cancellation Terms

36-Month Contract

Perhaps the least appealing feature of the alarm company for some people is its 36-month contract. However, lengthy contracts aren't unusual in the home security system industry. A somewhat lengthy contract is much more common for companies who offer low-cost monitoring fees and free equipment as Protect America does. Read Protect America reviews below to see how customers feel about the lengthy contract and the home security provider as a whole.

Cancellation Terms

If a customer decides to cancel their contract before the 36-month term, Protect America requires them to pay the remaining balance. However, this isn't uncommon with home security companies and Protect America offers an extremely low monthly monitoring fee with no upfront fees or equipment costs. With this in mind, the long-term contract and cancellation terms may not be a problem.

The Bottom Line

With an impressive array of free equipment, affordable monthly monitoring service, zero upfront costs, and a free moving option, the Protect America security system is one of the most affordable security systems on the market today. Protect America offers an attractive lifetime warranty on its equipment, a full range of monitoring options, as well as extensive home automation features.

Protect America does require a contract; However, contracts are not unusual for home security companies and Protect America prices are one of the most affordable security solutions out there. Also, you may feel more comfortable signing a long-term contract after reading the overwhelmingly positive Protect America reviews (shown below).

Protect America security reviews indicate the home security provider beats out most of its competition in terms of value for the price, customer service, and satisfaction.

Call our recommended rep over at Protect America below.

Tom Williams
May 16th, 2017 Carthage, TX

I don't have any complaints when it came to the installation process. They came to install it the first time, and after a few updates, they came out again. I have triggered the alarm by accident already, and they came online right away. Nobody is perfect, but they have certainly offered a positive experience.

Elsie Bucknam
May 16th, 2017 Aylett, VA

Something came in the mail about Protect America, and at that point I didn't have any security, and I chose them. I didn't know anybody else. Customer support has been very, very good. They call when anything goes wrong. They don't stop at one number, they do call whatever number it takes to get somebody. I just upgraded from having the one with the telephone line to wireless, and every time I had to call them they had always been very helpful. Installing it was a little difficult for me, but probably wouldn't be so to somebody else, because I am older. It was just a little difficult for me, but they walked me through everything, and they're really patient. It's been a very good experience.

Robert Watts
May 16th, 2017 Elk Grove, CA

The installation was easy to deal with; I did it myself, which was why I chose them in the first place. I had all the customer support needed, both on the activation and testing, and a couple of false alarms. I upgraded it once, but the equipment is fine, its functions are regularly tested by myself and communication tested occasionally. it is a monitored line, and I had no problems at all.

Greg Jordan
May 16th, 2017 DeSoto, TX

I saw an advertisement for them, and that's how I decided to go with them. Customer support has been great; they're really helpful and they're patient. They walk you through the program. It's really good. The installation was nerve-racking at first but once I got ahold of their people, it was okay, it's great. So far it's been great using the equipment. I tried it a couple of times and able to do pretty good and one time I was at home and I accidentally stepped on the emergency thing and the police came out and I was there so it works. They're good people.

Carol Yeager
May 16th, 2017 South Pasadena, CA

It's inexpensive and all the equipment is free and easy to install. I did the installation myself and it was fine. Customer support is excellent; any time I have a question or problem, somebody gets on there and helps me and is very patient and takes whatever time is needed to solve my problem. The equipment is fine. I had some instances were it has been set off accidentally, and the police department is here very quickly, very responsive.

Esther Gilligan
May 16th, 2017 Maysville, KY

I think it's a decent company, and I have no problems with them. They've been very good. They've been very positive—every time I had to use customer support, they've been very helpful. I chose them because of the price, and I did the installation myself. The equipment is excellent.

Hank Crismore
May 16th, 2017 Salado, TX

I've had a fair experience with the equipment. I did the installation myself. I wish they could have the door and window sensors better than what they have; they seem to wear out easily. Customer support seems to be really busy, but they're fine. I picked them because I knew someone that had the service.

Dean Anderson
May 16th, 2017 Stanchfield, MN

It takes a long time to get hold of somebody at customer support; you're on the phone for quite a long time... They're pretty good, but I just got disconnected occasionally, and sometimes they don't call back right away. Installation was slow, and I've had a fair experience so far with the equipment. They responded quickly when there is alarm set off and I definitely wouldn't do without alarm system any longer. Price and reputation were my main motives for choosing Protect America.

Daryl Kuster
May 16th, 2017 Martinsburg, WV

Protect America is terrific, especially compared to other systems I've had to use. I chose them because their system had more entrance and exit points than the other system. Customer support was helpful, and the installation guys were perseverant and very helpful, too.

William Lee
May 16th, 2017 Prescott, AR

I installed Protect America's equipment myself—it was very easy. I chose them because of the rate they offered, and actually it was part of the company that I was involved in as a home-based business. The equipment is fine... it's not working right now because I had a lightning strike that hit it just recently and knocked it out, so I need to replace it, but it's been working fine for me for several years, so I don't have any complaints.

Richard Doggett
May 16th, 2017 Moses Lake, WA

It was a little tedious to set up the system, mostly because it took about an hour, but it's worked fine. It worked just as expected. We've had to replace the battery a couple of times, just because they won't last for 2 to 3 years, but they send them in the mail and walk you through the process of hooking them up. During these 6 or 7 years that we've been with Protect America, they have kept us satisfied.

Sheila Mcdavid
May 16th, 2017 New Bern, NC

Installation was very easy, and my experience with the equipment has been good. They were the first company that I didn't have to go through a whole lot of red tape with. They've been very supportive, they called me whenever my alarm went off and let me know. They asked me if everything was okay, or if they need to call the police or dispatch anyone out.

Janice Street
May 16th, 2017 Pell City, AL

I purchased Protect America because it was wireless. The equipment is functioning and works every time, however, I think it would be best if I have written instructions on how to manage the system. I need that so I can set my alarm and defuse when I want to.

May 16th, 2017 Darlington, SC

So far it's been a good experience with Protect America's equipment. When the alarm goes off, they send a road patrol out immediately, and they will find out what's going on. Mine went off one time when one of my windows went up, and they came by and checked it. My nephew had the system, so I decided I would get it, too. He put it in, it's so simple. It wasn't very hard for him.

Kathy Bartlett
May 16th, 2017 Wilmington, DE

It's a very good company; they're very reliable, and we never had any problems with them. What we bought was a self-installation package; it wasn't expensive, and it was very easy. It's been fine, we haven't had any problem with the equipment. The customer support staff are fine, perfect; if we have any problem, we call them and they fix it.

Ronald Putnam
May 16th, 2017 Long Beach, WA

The customer support people have always been very, very helpful... I think the equipment is really easy to understand, and it was easy to install, too. The people on the other line were really good, talking us through it when we had to change our equipment after so many years that it had become outdated. It's been a really good experience for us over the years, and we're gone sometimes or a month or more at a time, so it's nice to be able to have a security and a peace of mind. I'm very satisfied with it, cost wise; we got it so many years ago, our cost is so minimal. When we're not home I feel good about it, and so does my husband. It's been very nice, we're very happy with our service.

Terrence Curle
May 16th, 2017 Hope Mills, NC

We've had Protect America for years now, and the system has worked well. Their representatives have been pretty good, however, I haven't heard from them in years. I really have not needed them whatsoever, but it wouldn't hurt if they check on us every once in a while. They're polite and don't mind helping me on whatever problem I have, but they add a little bit more hands on the relationship with their customers.

Tommy Mcree
May 16th, 2017 Mabank, TX

I haven't had any trouble with my system, it's been there when I needs it. Plus, it wasn't hard to install. The system is good and simple; you just turn it on and it works.

Jamie
May 8th, 2017 Denison, TX

The service was wonderful will let all my friends know how great it is

Apr 28, 2019

Thank you for your feedback! If you have any further questions or comments please reply with the full name & address associated with your account so that a member of our team can reach out to you. Thank you again for your feedback!

Cynthia Coniam
April 18th, 2017 Tampa, FL

My Mom's security system. She died 6 months ago, I called to notify them, they talked me into keeping the monitoring till the house sells. Called last week (the 12th of the month) to cancel and they said no problem. The guy I talked to said she was billed on the 15th of each month so there would be no billing this month. Great! I checked her account and they took it out on the 15th of this month. I had an almost hour long chat to find out she's actually billed on the 1st but the bank doesn't pay till the 15th (?), I asked for the month to be prorated (there's a principle involved here), she said yes...then came back and said she can't because the account was closed on the 12th?!?!?! I gave up, which I'm sure is what they were looking for. POOR customer care. This involved a person who died. They lost a customer and gained a bad review for life all over $32.09.

Apr 28, 2019

Thank you for your feedback. If you have a chance, please reply via 'private response' with the full name & address associated with your account. Once we have this information, a team member will reach out to you to work through the above-mentioned issues. Thank you and we look forward to hearing back!

Peggy Lawson
April 13th, 2017 North Tazewell, VA

Using the equipment has been wonderful. I think the service is pretty good. Really, I decided to use them just because of the way things are going around today that every body's breaking in stuff and trying to break into stuff and I'm just trying to protect my home.

Donald & Vesta Scholz
April 13th, 2017 Richlands, VA

My husband works out of town and I just felt like having a security when he's not here. I think the people I spoke with were awesome! The equipment did a wonderful job as well. I've been with for almost 20 years and it's just an awesome company.

Brenda Davis
April 13th, 2017 Norlina, NC

It's been very good and it provided a good result. We've had this service for 20 years, and I feel very safe with it. I would recommend it to anyone.

Jose & Julie Sanchez
April 13th, 2017 Tampa, FL

The service itself is okay, I mean, I haven't had the alarm go off too many times. The representatives were good as well, so I believe that overall, it's been a positive experience.

John and Nadolski Weiss
April 13th, 2017 Washington, DC

The service has been pretty good - I'm happy. I live in an urban area and there are a lot or break in, I had people using drugs and drinking in my backyard so I thought it was either just leave the doors open or got a security system. Overall, it's been very good.

Tony Bagley
April 13th, 2017 Riverdale, MD

They are a good company. The equipment is easy to use, so I'm satisfied with them. It's worked for me over the years.

Benito Mares
April 13th, 2017 Lancaster, TX

They've offered an excellent service! Whenever something goes off in the house, they notify us as soon as possible. No delays whatsoever.

Jacqueline & Mark Wolf
April 13th, 2017 Jordan, MN

We're perfectly satisfied with what we have. I already had another service, and Protect America gave me new equipment without making me pay for the stuff. We're not constantly getting phone calls from them either, trying to sell us more, and I think that's fine.

Terrell Morris
April 13th, 2017 Wellston, OH

A lot of the homes around us was getting broken into. Now we've got the alarms on the doors, windows, motion detectors and our console, we have the remote. I'm very satisfied with the service and equipment.

Lynn
April 13th, 2017 Bethlehem, PA

I just wanted my house to be safe. I think the sales team is good. I'm happy with the system but I think it could be more cheaper.

Anita Luckenbaugh
April 13th, 2017 Greenville, SC

Everything with them has been excellent. I just think they're really good; they walk you through the entire process.

Dennis Diehl
April 13th, 2017 Spring, TX

The Sales Team has been satisfactory and very helpful. The equipment is very easy to use as well. I think Protect America is a great company; they're well priced in the market place.

Steven Hoffman
April 13th, 2017 Montague, MI

I did everything on the telephone with them, and it was quite satisfactory. They seemed to know what they were talking about. Any time I set up a system, they talked me right through it.

Concetta Covington
April 13th, 2017 Kinston, NC

I'm dissatisfied with Protect America. They've been collecting my money for couple years now and I have no security.

Keith Lewis
April 13th, 2017 Houston, TX

Everything is pretty good. If I have a problem, I call them and they solve it. The equipment is good; I don't have a problem with the equipment at home.The only feedback I have is that they treat you different when you have a contract with them than when you don't.

Barbara Chandrinos
April 13th, 2017 Scranton, PA

It's been excellent! They offer a great service and their representatives are very good as well. If you ask me, I would say that it was fun to set up the equipment. I already had a false alarm and the police came over right away. They respond pretty quickly.

Jason Cole
April 13th, 2017 Hickory, MS

They need better customer service. You have to leave a message and be called back, and if you're not available at that time it's just a repetitive process. My husband is dealing with the equipment because we got an upgrade and it's difficult to use. I guess I'm satisfied, although it's not the best.

Margie Haas
April 13th, 2017 Sacramento, CA

I always wanted them, and after I widowed, it was the first thing I purchased. Their service is almost perfect and I'm 100% satisfied with the equipment. I only had some trouble with the letter I wanted them to send to the shares department, but that was the only thing that transpired.

HK
April 13th, 2017 Erin, TN

They helped me solve any problem we ran into. We've had a very good relationship with them. It's even been used accidentally a couple of occasions, and it has worked very well. Overall, we're very satisfied with them.

Mario/Merle Teresi
April 13th, 2017 Dundalk, MD

Everything with Protect America has been excellent! From the service, up to the system itself. I just like everything we got.

Vernon Dahl
April 13th, 2017 Woodinville, WA

The service has been just fine so far. It was very easy to set up the system and they were very helpful. I'm definitely satisfied with Protect America.

James White
April 13th, 2017 Oxnard, CA

I have 24/7 security service from Protect America because my insurance company told me I have to have a company that watches out after my home. Overall they are excellent and I'm satisfied with the service

Wellington Wilson
April 13th, 2017 Buhl, ID

Although the service is good, their Sales Team was a little pushy. Besides that, they talked me through the installation process over the phone. I think I will stay with them; there's no reason to leave.

William Zirlott
April 13th, 2017 Irvington, AL

I'm not satisfied with Protect America. They do not provide us with somebody in the area when we need something done to our system.All they do is send the parts and we must do it ourselves. That is very inconvenient because I'm 77 and my husband is 80; we're not able to do that kind of stuff anymore.

Anna Teffeterller
April 13th, 2017 Maryville, TN

They're fantastic! It's wonderful to have it at my home, especially because I live alone and somebody had broken into it before. When my alarm goes off and it's not cut off in a certain time limit, they're calling me or they call the sheriff's department to make sure I'm fine. I find that to be a great service!

James & Pamela Patterson
April 13th, 2017 Fort Wayne, IN

My wife is alone a lot, so we decided to get some Window Alarms for the house. I purchased it online so I didn't talk much to the sales team, but I'm very satisfied with the service. It was easy to install, and when I called Tech Support for help, they were extremely helpful. They even upgraded my entire system to a wireless one, free of charge. They've really been great!

Patricia Thomas
April 13th, 2017 East Troy, WI

Although I have the lowest service, their technicians are always very willing to help. I'm just satisfied with Protect America.

Brian Deppner
April 13th, 2017 Columbus, GA

Alarm companies are similar, so here is why NOT Protect America: After a 3-year service contract I decided to discontinue. I was forwarded to 2 different people until I spoke to someone able to cancel service. She would not take no for an answer, and informally left me with the impression I was going to have my house robbed. After 20 minutes of selling fear, I was directed to my e-mail for an on-line link to discontinue service. The E-mail never came, I had to call back, get forwarded through 2 different people again, and request another E-mail. Then, because I canceled on the 12th, I was made to pay for that month and the following month because they can't prorate service.

Leo P
April 6th, 2017

Responsive and low wait time if you need to call them, HOWEVER, because I have a cat, it triggered the motion sensor. they called me and let me know that the motion sensor was tripped so I had them call my local police dept. When I got home, the police haven't arrived yet (about 10 minutes after the call) so I decided to check the doors and windows and everything looks fine nothing out of place. Since the police haven't yet shown up there was no longer a need for them. I called the monitoring center so they could let the police know that they no longer needed to come out. The monitoring center, who calls the police dept. is UNABLE to call the police back to let them know that everything is Ok and that they don't need to come out here. This is a problem because when the Police come to an alarm and it's a false alarm like this was, they charge us $100 just to come out. I feel like the monitoring center since they can dispatch the police, should be able to call them back and ask them to cancel the call so we don't get charged for a false alarm.

Patrina Rodriguez
March 29th, 2017 Glen Burnie, MD

Tried to cancel after 30 months of service due to transfer out of state was told could not because of locked in 36 month contract.. NO EXCEPTIONS. Tried to prepay remaining 6 months told could not had to have payment deducted every month and call back in 5 months to give 30 days notice to cancel. Horrible policy. Would not recommend. You never know what can happen in 36 months and I never heard of a company that would not take a prepaid payment!