Northstar Alarm Logo

Northstar Alarm

5.6

LAST UPDATED: August 3rd, 2022

Northstar Alarm is a home security and automation company with over 60,000 customers in more than 20 states. The company offers five monthly monitoring packages to choose from, but does not publicly disclose pricing information on its website. Northstar provides its customers with 24/7 professional monitoring and a lifetime warranty on equipment from Honeywell. Northstar Alarm is an upstanding member of both the National Fire Protection Association and the National Burglar and Fire Alarm Association.

The Good

• 24/7 Professional Monitoring & Lifetime Equipment Warranty
  • No Landline Phone Connection Required
  • Free Mobile App Remote Access

24/7 Professional Monitoring & Lifetime Equipment Warranty

Northstar Alarm offers five home security system packages that feature home automation, energy management, and video surveillance services. Depending on the package, a Northstar technician will also equip the house with motion sensor and doorbell camera technology. The wireless cellular communication systems feature 24/7 professional monitoring and each installation is protected by a lifetime service protection warranty on the equipment.

No Landline Phone Connection Required

No landline phone connection is required for a Northstar Alarm security system.

Free Mobile App Remote Access

The control panel features two-way voice technology so customers can communicate in real-time with dispatchers in the case of an emergency. The Northstar alarm system provides Rapid Response Monitoring which allows them to dispatch help from emergency service providers within seconds an alarm signal is received. Customers receive remote access control of all included features (including door lock) through a Total Connect mobile app from Honeywell that can be used on any device. Customers are able to control home lighting, temperature, and even small appliances from the app. The surveillance technology provides live video access in the home anytime from anywhere. Customers can record and playback video footage anytime as well.

The Bad

• 5 Year Contract
  • No Pricing Disclosure
  • Numerous Consumer Complaints
  • Automatic Contract Renewal

5 Year Contract

Each homeowner is required to sign a 60 month contract to access the Northstar alarm service.

No Pricing Disclosure

The company does not publicly disclose pricing information, including monthly fees, for its home security plans on its corporate website. Customers will need to contact a Northstar employee for specific pricing details. Even though equipment repairs are free of charge under the lifetime warranty, customers are responsible for a minimum $35 trip charge per home visit.

Numerous Consumer Complaints

Per our Northstar Alarm reviews, many complaints involved alleged miscommunication from Northstar Alarm sales personnel to customers about contract lengths and monthly pricing on its home security plans. Customers also had problems with faulty equipment and trouble canceling service accounts.

Automatic Contract Renewal

Each Northstar security system's contract renews automatically, unless the customer provides written notice of cancellation at least 60 days prior to the end of the initial or renewal contract term.

View Best Home Security Companies

The Bottom Line

Northstar Alarm offers several choices for home security solutions that feature 24/7 professional monitoring and lifetime equipment service protection; however, the company requires customers to be locked into a contract for five years and is not transparent upfront regarding pricing. The company also has received numerous complaints regarding its customer service.

View Best Home Security Companies

3.5

Amy Kane Spring, TX

Robert B was super professional! He cleaned up as well! He was super patient in explaining everything!

Mark Kelly North Richland Hills, TX

Robert B and the rep Noah R are both beyond excellent. Believe me these two gentlemen are polite, patient and knowledgeable. I am a skeptical, semi-paranoid person when it comes to trusting a stranger. However, these two guys disarmed all of those suspicions. I am a professional in the customer service field working in a very demanding, highly sensitive field. I know good customer service. These two are the epitome of such. I cannot day enough about Robert and Noah and the time they took to install and explain the new alarm system. You will be in good hands with them and Northstar.

Sara Pate Rocky Mount, NC

Robert B and Jeff D did a great job replacing our current Vivint security system with the new updated Northstar security system. They were very professional and did their job quickly and efficiently. They also were very helpful with explaining everything to us so that we feel comfortable using our new security system.

Elaine Phillips Blackwell Whitsett, NC

Robert B. and Jay D. were both professional, knowledgeable and friendly. They were patient with our questions and their explanations were excellent. They were both very well versed with the equipment and technology. We are excited to have the peace of mind this system will provide.

Diana Garcia Dallas, TX

Robert B and Fernando A and Abel were very profesional and answered all my questions. Very polite gentleman. The technician, Robert, was very knowledgeable on the system and explained every step of the installation. Thank you Northstar!

Allison Clark Denton, TX

Robert B was Our technician ! He was so helpful and thorough ! He stayed up extra late to finish installing our security system . He answered all my questions and made sure I understood all my devices . Jeff D , our sales representative was very helpful and patient ! Both these guys know their stuff . Happy to be safely secure !

Ken Anderson Mesquite, TX

Robert B and Abel L Robert and Abel did a great job with both the sales and install of the alarm system. Both were professional, efficient, friendly and through. Enjoyed the time spent with each of them. Highly recommended them both.

Duane Redic Wake Forest, NC

Robert B and Jay D did great! Just professional and excellent in every way..exceeded expectations ..from Jay to Rob. Normally I do not do.review ..but these guys were exceptional!

A u d r e y R e e d Creedmoor, NC

Robert B. and Nick O. were the most patient, respectful and professional gentlemen that I have encountered. They were knowledgeable of the services offered and answered all of our questions with confidence.

Deidre Parks Clayton, NC

Robert B. and Jeff D. I got set up today with a Northstart Security System and I'm SOOO satisfied! The rep was so knowledgeable and the installer was fast and help me set up and cleaned up behind himself Thanks so much!

Larry Donnell Williams Knightdale, NC

Robert B. and Jay D. provide both excellent sales and professional installation. The equipment is excellent and I appreciate everything they have done. Honest, fair and will be recommended to friends.

Jose Santillan ,

Robert B and Spencer R Just recently signed up with NorthStar Home Incredible service. Completely understood my concerns and made everything feel really easy! I highly recommend them.

Matthew Moyer Fort Worth, TX

Robert B was very knowledgeable and above all professional with the installation process and showing me how everything works. I definitely recommend his on any assignment and even deserves a raise!

Brennan Hooper Dallas, TX

Robert B was super professional and did an excellent job setting up our NorthStar Security system. He was very accommodating and listened to all my concerns and wants. I hope to do more business with Mr. B in the future.

sykea brinkley ,

Robert B was very respectful, pleasant and very detailed when he explained how to use the security system. The job he did was well above and beyond our expectations. He made this an absolute pleasure.

Rebecca Titus Arlington, TX

Robert B was very courteous and professional. He took the time to answer all of my questions. He also entertained my son as he talked about his obsession with Marvel characters. Excellent customer service.

Chris Avalos Fort Worth, TX

Robert B was our technician today for our alarm system today. He was able to answer all my questions and install everything pretty quickly. Good clean person with good manners.

Raquel Reyna Buda, TX

Jordon O was a very polite and well mannered young man. He was very caring and very conscious of not overstepping his bounds and staying in character. I really liked him, and the way he treated us, with patience and caring.

James Michaels Burlington, NC

Robert B. and Jay D. Short, sweet, and to the point: He did a very nice job with set-up and was very personable, as well as professional. Keep up the good work!! 😎

James Whitley Fort Worth, TX

Robert B. Did an excellent job and I am very happy with the work he did I cannot work this stuff at all and he explained everything to help me get to the next steps

Richard Middleton Fort Worth, TX

Robert B did a fantastic job. Was very polite, professional, and always concerned about our desires with the system and made sure we understood how everything worked.

Hanna Cabrera Fort Worth, TX

Robert B did a fantastic job. Ran threw everything with us very well and did the installation very quickly. Would definitely recommend him a this company to everyone we know.

susan mobley Ellicott City, MD

Robert B. and Jeff D. Very professional individuals and would definitely recommend them to anyone who is looking for a new alarm system

Sharon Savage Fort Worth, TX

Robert B and Danny S did a great job explaining everything on install, was polite. We are very happy with today's install.

Leslie FYI , TX

Robert B and Abel were great. They were very professional and friendly. They were very knowledgeable and helped us understand everything.

darrell cotman Fort Worth, TX

Robert B was awesome. He was fast and also explained everything in great detail. He was very professional and did great work.

Lynda-Jo Jackson Fort Worth, TX

Robert B - He did a great job! He was very professional and personable. I would recommend him as a tech whole heartedly.

carl howell Fort Worth, TX

Robert B He was absolutely amazing and great at explaining to me what my system does and how ro work it. He was also great to talk to.

Sweetpea’s Creations Fort Worth, TX

Robert B was such an amazing representation of Northstar! I’m so overjoyed by his kindness and attention to everything we needed! He’s awesome!

lanita pena Fort Worth, TX

Robert B did an amazing job with installing and explaining how everything works and where it went. Definitely recommend him to do other jobs.

Melinda Bonner Fort Worth, TX

Robert B was very helpful and thorough in his explanations. Very professional and worked in an organized and fast manner.

Brittany Henderson Arlington, TX

Robert B did an excellent job installing my new system in my home and teaching me the ropes on how to navigate it. A true professional.

Samantha Marie Arlington, TX

Robert B was extremely professional, efficient and friendly. Appreciate the time in educating our family on the system.

Albert Pinchem ,

Robert B and Kenny K did an excellent job installing and teaching us our alarm system. We are very happy!

Ant Peña Grand Prairie, TX

Robert B. and Graham T. Did an amazing jobs explaining every step of the process during the order and installation

Ladrante Hyder Ennis, TX

Robert B. Robert was VERY PROFESSIONAL and his customer service was stellar!!!! He is a. TRUE asset to your company.

Alma Lozoya Arlington, TX

Robert B was very professional and explained everything very clearly. He was very nice and knew what he was doing.

Donna Garcia Dallas, TX

Robert B Great job!! Very professional and helpful technician. Very happy with our security system install.

Aimee De Luna Fort Worth, TX

Robert B was very clean and very organized. Any questions I had were answered and he was as professional at all times.

Jeanette Kyle, TX

Jordon O was very courteous, very knowledgeable and an all around nice guy. He was also very patient.

Neil Mason Hampstead, NC

Robert B great service today. Thank you all for a great security system.

Yajaira Arocho Clayton, NC

Robert B and Jay D did a wonderful job instilling my system and showed me how to us it

marcos lebron Raleigh, NC

Robert B and Jeff D Great service and knowledgeable staff, friendly experience. Thank you so much

Patricia Lowery Knightdale, NC

Robert B. and Jay D. did s fantastic job with the install of my new security system.

Kathryn Morbitzer Durham, NC

Robert B. - the technician did get an excellent job! Very thorough and efficient!

Jessica Mcneal Johnson Fort Worth, TX

Robert B and Spencer R were extremely helpful with the installation of our new alarm system!

Alice Fay Arlington, TX

Robert B , did a great job. Had some challenges, and overcame them with no problems.

Andrea Lazo Dallas, TX

Robert B and Aidan S they did a wonderful job and explain everything accordingly

Mee Mee Fort Worth, TX

Robert B He took his time and was thorough showing me how to work my new system.

Salvador Velazquez Arlington, TX

Robert B Did an excellent job on time Very professional thank you for your service