Written by Guest | Last Updated October 31st, 2019Our goal here at BestCompany.com is to provide you with the honest, reliable information you need to find companies you can trust.
Guest Post by Credit.com
Homeownership is on the rise in the United States. Owning a home may be your dream, but there are costs associated with it, including home security.
Home security is something that many homeowners overlook. However, this isn’t a cost you want to forgo because home security can end up saving you money.
Many homeowners think they’ll never be the victim of a robbery, but robberies occur in all types of neighborhoods. Besides preventing robberies, a home security system can come with other benefits, including the following:
- Fire protection. Today’s systems protect homes and families from fires via early warning systems. These sensors have faster warning times than ordinary smoke alarms. They can also be set to automatically contact the police and fire department in the event of a fire.
- Carbon monoxide alarms. Carbon monoxide poisoning often results from commonplace things like stoves, gas ranges, and heating systems. Home security systems with carbon monoxide detectors provide early warning signals that can mean the difference between life and death.
- Savings. Having a home security system can save you money. Many mortgage lenders require homeowner insurance. Purchasing a home security system can lower your insurance premiums.
- Round-the-clock remote surveillance. Remote control access is a fantastic benefit for people who want to keep a close eye on their property when they’re not at home.
- Remote capabilities. You can arm and disarm your alarm, turn air conditioning, lighting, and heating on or off, and adjust settings on motion sensors while on vacation, at work, or an extended absence from your home. You can do this from your smartphone.
- Medical assistance. Medical assistance is a benefit that many of the latest home security systems offer. Ideal for disabled persons and senior citizens, home security systems provide easy-to-use emergency pendants and pulls to signify the need for immediate medical assistance.
If you're interested in purchasing a home security system today and would like to learn more about what type of home security system is best for you, this guide will help you understand what options are available.
Home security systems
There are lots of options for home security systems. Home security companies are often flexible and will let you put together the system you want with the features you need. Here are some common packages that people choose:
Basic packages are basic systems that offer single-service theft deterrent/alarm monitoring benefits.
Mid-range packages offer services such as mobile access and remote web capabilities, along with text and email notifications.
Complete packages offer everything that the basic and mid-range packages do, along with services such as home automation features like live video streaming and live 24/7 monitoring by an actual person. You’ll also be able to pick and choose from a host of other services depending on your needs and budget.
More services increase the price of the system, but for homeowners who want more can choose from among many other options. These options include automatic unlocking and locking doors, temperature adjustment controls, connectivity with a PC, Mac, smartphone, tablet, and even Nest or Alexa.
When you purchase a higher-end home security system, you can opt for monitored or unmonitored versions. Unmonitored systems are more cost-effective, but monitored systems offer more protection.
Unmonitored home security systems provide notifications to homeowners when the alarm detects something. The homeowners receive alerts and contact the authorities. With monitored systems, the system notifies the authorities without the homeowner having to do anything. In the event of a home emergency, the time it takes for the authorities to arrive can be critical.
People who are passionate DIYers can opt to install their home security system themselves. This saves money. However, professional installation will give peace of mind that the system was installed correctly. The last thing any homeowner wants is to be unsure of their handiwork.
You can research different companies by visiting their websites and looking at customer reviews.
You’ll also want to check availability. Are they available via telephone, email, live chat and more? Can you contact the company 24/7 and speak to a live representative? These details are particularly important, especially in the event of a system malfunction or an emergency.
You’ll probably want to do business with a company that provides 24/7 assistance to customers and has great customer reviews.
The bottom line
Security systems not only protect your home and family from intruders and robberies but also provide important benefits such as the reduction of energy and insurance costs, fire protection, and medical alerts.
As technology continues to advance and more people buy homes, investing in a home security system becomes one of the most important steps a homeowner can take to protect their most valuable asset — their home.
More homeowners are realizing the valuable benefits of home security systems. Fortunately, the market is filled with companies offering services, equipment, and specialized options to choose from, with a wide range of price points catering to every consumer budget.