Allstate Logo

Allstate

6.8

LAST UPDATED: January 16th, 2022

While Allstate is better known for its car insurance policies, it also offers home insurance. It stands out from others for its wide variety of discounts and its HostAdvantage® policy that covers stolen property if you rent your furnished home.

You can also benefit from online quotes and the ability to work with an insurance agent.

While there are benefits to working with Allstate, its review count on BestCompany.com is low. It's promising that most of these reviews are positive. However, a few reviewers discuss serious concerns with the claims process.

Read Allstate Home Insurance Reviews

The Good

• Large Variety of Discounts
  • Customizable Policies
  • Multiple Types of Homes Covered
  • HostAdvantage® Policy
  • Online Quotes
  • Competitive Financial Strength Rating

Large Variety of Discounts

One of the biggest advantages of choosing Allstate homeowners insurance is its selection of discounts. Some of the key discounts it offers are as follows:

• Easy Pay Plan® (discount for setting up automatic payments)
  • Multi-policy
  • Claim-free
  • Protective device
  • Early signing
  • Welcome and loyalty
  • Home buyer
  • 55 and Retired
  • Smoke-free
  • Home features (storm shutters, hail-resistant roofs, etc.)

With so many discounts, Allstate makes it easy to save on premiums.

Customizable Policies

Allstate offers the standard options for the industry including dwelling coverage, liability coverage, personal property coverage, and medical payments coverage.

Allstate's home insurance policies can be customized to include unique features like green improvement reimbursement, yard and garden, electronic data recovery, musical instruments, sports equipment, business property, scheduled personal property, water backup, and identity theft restoration.

An Allstate insurance agent can also help you buy flood insurance from the National Flood Insurance Program. Its homeowners policies do not cover floods, which is typical for the industry.

This optional coverage builds on your home insurance policy to offer extra protection to meet your insurance needs.

While some of this additional coverage is also available through other homeowners insurance companies, Allstate stands out for the green improvement reimbursement coverage option.

Multiple Types of Homes Covered

In addition to houses, Allstate offers insurance policies for landlords, condos, and mobile homes. Whatever building you call home, Allstate has coverage options to meet your needs.

HostAdvantage® Policy

Allstate further stands out from other insurers with its HostAdvantage® policy. This policy offers coverage for stolen belongings if you are sharing your home temporarily with renters.

You can identify the items in your home through Allstate's app using the Digital Locker® Tool.

This policy also includes a Merry Maids discount on your first four cleanings.

If you're renting your furnished home, Allstate's HostAdvantage® policy offers helpful insurance coverage.

Online Quotes

Allstate makes it easy to get an online quote for home insurance coverage. After providing some personal information, you can view insurance rate quotes. You can also save your quotes and return to them later.

While common among companies offering online quotes, the ability to save your insurance quote makes it easy to view costs, check other homeowners insurance policy options, and return if Allstate is the best fit.

Competitive Financial Strength Rating

Allstate has received a high financial strength rating from A.M. Best. This rating indicates that Allstate is financially stable and likely to be able to meet claims obligations.

Most competitive insurers have high financial strength ratings, so Allstate's rating makes it competitive.

The Bad

• Limited Customer Insight
  • Reviewer Concerns with Allstate Claims

Limited Customer Insight

Allstate customer reviews on BestCompany.com are limited, which means we don't have enough information on the customer experience or customer satisfaction to make a clear recommendation.

However, most of the insurer's reviews are positive, which indicates a positive customer experience.

Reviewer Concerns with Allstate Claims

While most of Allstate's reviews on BestCompany.com are positive, there are a few negative reviews from people with low claims satisfaction.

For example, one reviewer noted that Allstate doesn't send a licensed claims adjuster to assess damage, which means that some covered damage may go unnoticed and unreported.

Claims are the reason you pay a regular insurance premium. Concerns about Allstate's insurance claim processes should be taken seriously.

As you consider an Allstate home insurance product, ask questions about the claims process and how the insurance provider performs inspections when damage is assessed.

The Bottom Line

While Allstate has many handy policy features, discounts, and a high proportion of positive reviews, reviewer difficulty with the claims processes are concerning.

If you're considering buying a home insurance policy from Allstate, be sure to ask questions and thoroughly understand how the homeowners insurance company handles claims before you buy a policy.

Austin Tempe, AZ

I have Allstate for auto insurance and they have always been great! I decided to switch my renter/homeowner policy from a tech company I was using. Simply due to an experience I had with a different tech company when my vehicle was totaled. This made us switch everything back to Allstate. The claims and service team at Allstate is outstanding when compared to other services I have utilized over the years.

Robert Rootes Bestselling Author Fredericksburg, VA

We switched homeowner insurance from the lizard to Allstate because the other company boasted a lot about their quality of service. But here's the thing, they didn't hold our homeowner insurance coverage...they contracted another company to hold the coverage. Yearly, when it came time to pay the premium, a premium that is set up through the escrow account with the mortgage, we would get nasty letters from the other company claiming they needed payment, when all along we were paying escrow to cover the cost of the yearly payment. I would have to call them every year and waste half my day waiting to talk to the right people. This happened for 3 years! It turned out whenever I called the lizard, waited for thirty to forty minutes, they told me I needed to call the other insurance holder. They couldn't even connect me because it's a different company altogether. When we had heavy rains and 18 thousand gallons of water filled our basement (I did the math when I hauled the water out) the insurance company denied our claim. We lost memories and money. We switched to Allstate because they actually hold the insurance policy and don't farm it out to other companies. The other companies are profiteers. When it came to speaking to one individual instead of a host of robots, this was the right choice for us.

Stephen Thompson

Have had homeowners insurance with Allstate for 35 years. One home in Chicago for 35 years and another in Texas for 5 years. Both agents have been very responsive and in the rare times that I've had to file a claim, the turnaround time was EXCELLENT! My son had a wind disaster at his home and was still dealing with State Farm's claims process 14 months later - the old right hand / left hand lack of coordination internal to the insurance company! Has never been the case with Allstate.

Cynthia Landing Forest City, IL

I’m an Allstate customer and I must admit I’m happy I choose them they have great savings on insurance along with incentives they give for safe drivers they also give referrals in a gift card form they’re there to explain the different areas of insurance and the importance of it they also have a variety of services they offer that meets ones every day needs. The customer service is outstanding their there for you making you feel your needs are important to them

David Swenson Saint Paul, MN

I’ve had Allstate home insurance for about a year. When bundled it is a great deal and I love having one consistent agent who knows me and my needs. It’s easy to just text him if anything changes and I need to update my policy.

Debbie Schultz Murfreesboro, TN

We have been loyal customers of Allstate for the almost 9 years we have owned our home. We have enjoyed knowing our home as well as our cars are covered with a reputable company. When insurance needs have changed our agent has flawlessly taken care of our needs with just a phone call.

Jen M Raleigh, NC

They are great when it comes to water damage and will cover a hotel room while work is being done in your home. They are difficult when it comes to covering a new roof after a storm.

Barbara Luke Chicago, IL

This company offered me good rates on my first year policies, home and auto. However, for the renewal of the next year, premiums went up 50% and 26% respectively. I reached out many times to my agent, who was unresponsive, blaming it on the cost of building (for home); no input on auto cost. I am very frustrated by the entire industry as when I try to get competitive quotes, I can do better on one but not the other, i.e. quotes are tied by bundling home and auto. As a consumer, I should be able to select the coverage I want to pay for. It's only my loss should something happen.

Melissa Woods Carson City, NV

I love Allstate, I have been with them for 6 years now. They handle all of my insurance needs, home, auto and life if I ever chose to sign up. Always able to modify my insurance needs no matter where I am or what day of week it is. Customer service has always been friendly and helpful.

Rick Froid Park Ridge, IL

I use Allstate for all of my insurances. The home policies are the best for your dollar and they make sure your not under covered.

courtney tennant Salem, VA

Allstate took forever to get back with me and the first quote they gave me was very unreasonable. Several quotes later it was still 2x more expensive than my original insurance company.

Drew Preston Halifax, NS

Good and helpful company.Friendly service

Dave Spokane, WA

I've been with Allstate homeowners insurance for a long time and it has generally been good, I've made a few claims and the claims process went well. I only give 3 stars because of the time I asked if my premiums would go up if I filed a claim, and they said no, but then I filed a claim and my rates went up. I went round and round with customer service but did not get satisfaction. After a few years my rates went down again--probably after they recouped the amount they paid on my claim.

Suzanna Wootton Springville, UT

I've had a positive experience with Allstate. I had to get a tree in my backyard trimmed back because there was a limb right above my roof and I appreciated that Allstate sent us a notice in the mail to let us know we needed to get it removed. However, I do wish they would've given us a little more time than they did, time to take care of the issue.

Molly Keogh Ogden, UT

We have had Allstate home insurance for about 15 years. The time we have had to use it for a flooded kitchen they were very helpful and quick to get us the money. I wish they were not so quick to penalize for just one usage in all our time.

Aunt Cathy Bay Saint Louis, MS

We've had them for about 33 yrs now as our home ins. True they have gone up since Katrina, but they were about 90% good on replacement monies for repairs. Just good to know they are here when we need them.

Geoff Hk Beverly Hills, CA

Allstate hired a consulting firm years ago which advised it not to give out any payouts to insured customers even if they were entitled to do it. And to fight it everystep of the way. My neighbor is a doctor who had house insurance with them and his house was destroyed by a fire (not his fault) and even though he was clearly covered in the details of his policy they denied his claim. He had to take them up the court system (took years) to finally get justice. He won his case but it was a huge headache and use of his time. Stay away from Allstate. You're NOT in good hands with Allstate! (Besides their 'hands' are there just to pick your pocket if my neighbor's experience is any indication). I myself had a small policy with them but cancelled it after this incident.

Steve Edwards Dallas, TX

Allstate doesn't send licensed adjusters to your home any more. At least this is the case with the first few rounds of having a loss. They send an unlicensed rookie to you home to hold a camera for someone else in a different part of the world. Probably China! They do this to save $$$ for their share holders. They do this so that rookie misses all kinds of damages owed under the policy. Then they can claim that oops, we didn't know that... So when you file a claim, they will ask you a list of questions. If they mention Eagleview, Drone or Virtual Inspection, don't do it! Tell them you want a licensed adjuster to come to your home and that you refuse to accept anything other than that. They will buck like a bronco! Refuse, Refuse, Reuse, then report them to your State Insurance Commissioner. I know multiple friends that have been burnt by Allstate and I myself have been too!

Mandie Bremer Moncks Corner, SC

My parents had this insurance about 20 years ago our basement caught on fire and Allstate did everything they could to make sure the process ran smoothly and we got everything that was lost in the fire replaced.

Linda Larabee Houston, TX

My agent, Adam P, is absolutely fantastic! While I have not had to place any claims through Allstate yet, I am more than confident they will handle my claim expediently and properly!

Andrea Smith Idaho Falls, ID

We have had a great experience with our Allstate homeowner's insurance. When we had damage to our home after a storm, they were quick to take care of it and it was a smooth easy process.

Amberlee Hildebrand Orem, UT

They do a good job and have good value if the budget is tight. The coverage is not as comprehensive as I would prefer.

Jma55 Smithfield, UT

We have used Allstate insurance for the entirety of our home ownership. They are always friendly and approachable when we have concerns or questions.

Taylor Siren Gilbert, AZ

Allstate costumer service is like none you will ever experience, they provide comfort and peace of mind to you and your family.

Sheri Wiggins Upper Marlboro, MD

I've been an Allstate member for 30 plus years and have excellent representatives.

Jackie Spokane, WA

They give me a discount for bundling with auto and for pre-pay.

Leslie West Jordan, UT

Allstate is the best insurance I’ve ever had. Cost is great and my agent is easy to work with.

Sara Jane Crestwood, KY

The service took good care of us during a power outage. But the cost went up after that so we had to change companies.

Mary Walker Georgetown, KY

Allstate has always been prompt with claims

Troy Siren Gilbert, AZ

Got a great deal with my home coverage. Rate was cheaper than I expected.

Chris Wootton Ogden, UT

Not a great company to work with ok product value.