Kaiser Permanente Logo

Kaiser Permanente

6.6

Erin Lindon, UT

We’ve had Kaiser Permanente for four years. It’s an excellent insurance with great coverage for our family. The cost of insurance is affordable compared to many other insurances. Their customer service representatives are excellent and knowledgeable in providing information about coverage and answering all our questions.

Brandie Rudy West Jordan, UT

I love Kaiser Permanente insurance. I had this coverage when my first two children were born. It is so simple one bill for multiple services. I wish all insurance companies worked like Kaiser. They make sure their customers have quality care and simplify the process of billing to make it so easy especially after adding a new baby to the mix.

Dee Farquharson Washington, DC

I really miss having Kaiser. Everything was in one location and it was SUPER convienent. I also didnt have to choose from doctors or wait to be seen (like i do now, since my new PCP isnt see "new patients" until 2019!) I also liked being able to send message to my doctors via the app and having my complete records located on the app as well.

Kristie Sgambati Rocklin, CA

I have been a member of Kaiser my entire life. Our family has had to be hospitalized on several occasions, and we have had multiple serious surgeries. We love our Kaiser doctors, surgeons and nurses. From managing our bills to picking up prescriptions, there is no better system for our family's total care.

Jennifer Encarnacion San Diego, CA

I like Kaiser, I like their app, I like my doctors. My only gripe is that sometimes it's only possible to get an appointment during the weekdays and I prefer them on the weekends because I work. Other than that, I'm always on the app if I need to re-order prescriptions, e-mail my doctor, etc. Love it. Whenever I call into their customer service as well they are quick to guide me in the right direction.

Cayla Koga Fremont, CA

I have only ever had Kaiser insurance. I'm not sure I would know what to do if I had a provider other than Kaiser. Billing is easy. Canceling appointments is easy. Their advice nurses are pretty cool. I don't go to the doctors very often, but when I do, I'm glad I have Kaiser.

Ghassan ElSaadi Lake Forest, CA

One of the worst customer and member services. I would give them 0 star if the option was available. Kaiser took a big dive in their service, now they are one of the worst if not the worst.

oicutwo Lake Oswego, OR

If I could give less than one star I would - horrible systems - trying to find how to change autopay info and after an hour of trying to find the right person was placed on hold to calm down - because they can. This is just the latest fiasco interaction with Kaiser.

Lu Lu Stanley Woodstock, GA

1. I cannot get anyone to answer the phone at my nearest Kaiser office. 2. My child has a printed insurance card from Kaiser but cannot be found anywhere in their system online or at the local urgent care across the street from the Kaiser building. 3. I had to use the urgent care for my children's ear infection because no one could be reached at the Kaiser office. 4. I tried to register my other child online for her first pediatrician appointment. The website is not working properly and I cannot get her an appointment online and trying to call in the middle of the pandemic is a lost cause. 5. Kaiser's app for video appointments is shoddy at best and my husband had to miss an emergency mental health appointment because of it. 6. The Kaiser building closest to us is in the next county. It is extremely difficult to pick up regular prescriptions from another county. For this reason my husband had a gap in his depression medication. 7. Over all, the switch from Blue Cross Blue Shield to Kaiser has been nothing but stressful. Having to use Kaiser has contributed to our mental health issues and Kaiser had also failed to provide care for our children.

duncan Aurora, IL

Have a nail in your head causing headaches? - Sounds like Covid! Have a toe infection causing fever? - Sounds like Covid! Wear your mask, social distance, answer the Covid questions, listen to the Covid recordings over and over while on hold & being transferred, have staff treat you like a Leper...Did i mention they are concerned about Covid? Better have symptoms of Covid, because that is all Kaiser treats apparently, and they will place appointment after appointment in your way of treating your potentially fatal illness, all to rule out Covid (~%99 survival rate). Too bad I never had any Covid symptoms, because I could not wait any longer and gave up trying to get help from Kaiser after 3 appointments and multiple months jumping through their hoops.

Lawrence Wayne ,

I took a position in September for the Public Health Institute as a Case Investigator for COVID-19. My insurance, including Kaiser Permanente Medical coverage, should have activated and allowed me to see doctors by the end of October. Despite my constant urging, dozens of email messages, several phone calls, a visit to a location to provide blood and make an appointment in person, AFTER ALL THIS TIME AND EFFORT . . . I HAVE YET TO ACTUALLY SEE A DOCTOR!! The doctor assigned to me conducted a phone interview several weeks ago and due to NUMEROUS PRESSING MEDICAL NEEDS, including follow-up to surgical procedures that I was unable to have addressed while suffering under Medi-Cal the last several years, IT WAS AGREED I NEED(ED) AN IN-OFFICE APPOINTMENT IN ORDER TO PROPERLY ADDRESS. Then, after driving in the pouring rain to make the appointment and to provide the blood ahead of the appointment, after twice going to test for Covid and after taking work off for an afternoon in order to attend the appointment, THE CALLOUS, FLIPPANT DOCTOR CLAIMED THE SHE HAD A “SCHEDULE” CHANGE” AND CHANGED MY APPOINTMENT BACK TO ANOTHER POINTLESS PHONE CALL! After waiting 40 minutes for that call that never came . . . well, I left in complete and utter disgust. And when you call or write or ask or create a grievance, THEY DO NOTHING BUT STALL AND LIE AND WASTE MORE OF YOUR TIME AND NEVER EVEN ATTEMPT TO ADDRESS ANYTHING. I am now forced to implore my employer to change my insurance as soon as possible TO ANY OTHER OPTION THRU WHICH I MIGHT ACTUALLY BE ABLE TO HAVE MY VERY SERIOUS AND PRESSING MEDICAL NEEDS ADDRESSED! Kaiser “Permanente” will hopefully be only“Temporarily”.

vickie charrier Redondo Beach, CA

I recently had prolapse surgery and an eye exam! Kaiser triples the charges and I was left owing an extremely amount of money! 5 months later bills are still coming in! The eye exam they gave me was just a simple exam! Without insurance I could get an exam and fitting for glasses for $100! Kaiser charged me $320 for the simple exam and $77 for the fitting of my glasses ! I paid $80 upfront assuming that would cover all of my cost! Wow was I ever surprised to receive that bill! This will be my last year with Kaiser now that I am aware they triple the charges to patients! As far as my surgery, they damaged my thumb during surgery! I never had any hand issues, 2 weeks later and being bed ridden, my thumb and palm of my hand started hurting so bad, I couldn’t even turn the door knob! Went to the Dr and discovered I now have trigger thumb that will need surgery!! So how did that happen since I was bed ridden! Had to happen during surgery! DO NOT use Kaiser they triple their charges and they are not looking out for their patients!

val Oak Harbor, WA

Where to start. First they deny an asthma drug because I hadn't yet used a particular inhaler. OK, tried that one for a month all it did was make the coughing worse to the point I felt as if I were drowning. Dr said now they have to give you what he prescribed. They said no again because I hadn't first tried this other inhaler. My dr's office had to argue with them for 3 days that I had JUST USED IT at their insistence and their "approval". Then, company laid me off with severance and insurance coverage for severance period through cobra. Oh dear god, what a long painful process that was. I finally contacted my former employer and the dept set up to help with cobra. When I mentioned to the young man just who my insurance was through he actually said "oh boy, it felt like you just ripped my heart out" because they have nothing but problems with KP. great. Now, my dr wants me to get and MRI for a known back issue so I can get cortisone shots. Nope, I don't meet criteria. They would rather I pop opioids and lose the use of my leg because they don't want to pay. This will now draw into next year and cause me to spend more money on deductibles while my dr and I fight our way through this. Run like the wind AWAY from this company unless you like having every decision made by your physician questioned and argued with. They do not like to take care of their clients and will fight you for every little item at every turn. Can not WAIT to be able to switch to a different insurance carrier. KP is absolutely the worst at customer care.

Kipton Solmonson Coeur d'Alene, ID

Terrible, greedy, money-centered filth of an insurance company. One time I went to pick up a prescription from Costco for my sick infant, and I got there only to be told they don't take KP insurance. I proceeded to call the KP member line to find out what was awry. The first two of their "in-network" pharmacies in our area he told me I could go to were businesses (former shoko and former kmart) that had been closed and out of business for months, even years.  Another time, you'll love this, I work in a high school building that actually added a Community Clinic right within our building to make ease of service to students, families, & staff without the loss of instructional time (and this project was completely funded by KP itself mind you).  It was over a half-million dollar investment by KP. I thought great, how convenient, because I was coming down with a flu bug and wanted to get it taken care of... I attempted to schedule an appointment and the office secretary asks for my insurance card (with kp) and she proceeds to hand it back to me saying, "I'm sorry sir, we don't accept KP insurance here." I proceeded to call member services and berate them on how completely asinine and absurd that was. The grand finale occurred today when my wife's pre-authoriztion request for an MRI on her lower lumbar area (requested by our chiropractor) was simply denied for no apparent reason other than what I'm assuming is they don't want to pay for it and the appeals process will simply elongate the approval well beyond the calendar year that we will no longer even be a member by the time the service would occur. Fair warning, if you need any pre-authorized service and its past October in the year, good freaking luck trying to get them to approve it in a timely manner. It can take 14 to 45 days the customer service agent says.  This is the absolute worst health insurance provider there has ever been. Avoid them at all costs, no matter what you have to do.  Terrible, greedy, money-centered filth of a business.

Hyunghee Chun Severna Park, MD

I had a plan with Kaiser Permanente for a little over 5 years. Saturday they sent me an e-mail telling me that my plan is terminated because my last reoccurring payment did not go through. I called to pay it (having to wait until Monday because they don't operate on weekends) and they told me they aren't allowed to re-activate terminated plans. I moved over 3 years ago and tried to update my address with them, but apparently it did not go through because they can't even change an address of their active plan holders who have signed up via MD Health Connection. I received no paperwork about my 1 time reoccurring payment that did not process before they decided to terminate.

lzl Dallas, GA

Their doctors are mostly ok for your basic day-to-day healthcare issues, but you better hope you never, ever need to have surgery! It takes over 2 weeks to have a schedule even call to book you, and oftentimes another 2-3 months after that for your surgery date. It's ridiculous! And this is NOT a Covid issue, this is how it's always been. You'll easily spend 4-5 months in pain from initially seeing a doctor, to the surgery date.

linda panchea Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I had Kaiser for many years and each year it gets worse. They absolutely don't care about their patients and they sent you home and ask you to take over the counter medicine. It's been 4 years since I haven't had a routine blood test and when I disputed that , I received a letter home saying that I basically don't need routine blood test for another 2 years, because 4 years ago my blood tests were fine. It's unbelievable but it's true, i am paying over $800/a month for me and my daughter and I don't even have the right to a routine check-up. I will absolutely change my insurance and they because I have insurance for my company they will love my employees as well.

Shuchismita Hassan Silver Spring, MD

My coverage started one day ago and I already regret getting involved with Kaiser. I needed to get a Covid test URGENTLY to get back to work, and they said they would only cover the cost if it was at a Kaiser clinic. I got a referral from the physician they connected me with, and she booked an appointment for 1pm. I went in to the drive through (they don't let people in without a car, I don't have a car so my friend had to take the time to drive me) and they said they had no record of an appointment and they're not even open at 1pm. They were also closed over the weekend, so basically, I would have to wait till Monday or go to a more organized and competent clinic and pay out of pocket. If I wait, I have to miss another week of work for the stupidest reason. If I get a test somewhere else, they said (after talking to 3 departments and being on hold for 2 hours) I might qualify for a reimbursement but I would have to waste more hours of my life to file a reimbursement appeal. Oh and this needs to be done on their online portal, which I have not been able to register for on their website, and their IT department has failed to help me with it.

Nicole Wenzel Cartersville, GA

I've had Kaiser as my insurance for three years now. The first two years were good. Professional doctors and good coverage. Then the third year hit. My husband and I were going through some health issues that required help outside of KP. KP referred us to the clinic we needed to go through and after that everything went downhill. There has been so many horrible experience I don't know where to start... 1) The worst part of the whole experience has been trying to get test results back. The ordering doctor (outside of KP) is not getting any of the tests results he ordered. So I, the patient am having to call KP, check the app multiple times a day, and go as far as to e-mail my husband's urologist and have him send me the results via IM which I then screenshot and send to the ordering doctor. ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS that the patient is having to do all of this. They didn't even call to give us the test results! 2) Every time I call KP I am transferred 2-3 times after an original HOUR WAIT. Then, once someone finally picks up I have had to re-explain our circumstances to each person who picks up the phone. Everytime I have to call KP it is guaranteed to be a lesson in frustration. 3) The coverage plan for anything OUTSIDE the KP buildings is horrible. Meaning 0 coverage. I am so disappointed in KP. I pay a lot of money out of every check and don't appreciate the rudeness, lack of empathy, and overall absolutely horrible customer service. I will NOT be choosing KP for my healthcare again in November and HIGHLY, HIGHLY encourage anyone that has a health issue more than routine medical care to NOT choose KP as their health insurance.

Juan Gamarro Norwalk, CA

Kaiser does not want to help their patients. Kaiser will send you home or tell you to take care of yourself and might tall you to take any over the counter medicine so that they don't have to supply the medicine for you. They do not respect or take your wellbeing into any consideration. They treated me like nothing, I have so many bad experiences with then it's too much too list all. I wish it was easier to change coverage, I wish there was more help for consumers to fight against big medical companies like Kaiser, I feel that during this pandemic, Kaiser must be affiliated with the President's campaign or they absolutely subscribe to his agenda and they are avoiding testing their patients so that the real number of infections is not revealed. They act as if they want everyone in your home or surroundings to be gravely I'll or I'm not sure what it would take for then to offer real care. I am so upset and discouraged by Kaiser, I have never felt so helpless and in need.

Adriana Ward, CO

I can only speak for Kaiser Permanente in Boulder & Denver Colorado. My experience is related exclusively to back issues and pain. If you have back issues as a result of an injury, do yourself a favor and do not sign up for Kaiser. Their approach to patient care is poor as best. You will have to spend your time fighting the system to get the correct diagnosis. The doctors will not listen to you or your injury concerns. The physical therapy department in Boulder, CO is really horrible. One of the worst I have ever been to. You will waste precious hours trying to find a practitioner that will listen to your concerns. As a patient, I have been dismissed in many occasions. No answers. No rehabilitation suggestions. Nothing. Just literature on how to live your life in chronic pain. I have had experience with their physiatrists and physical therapists. If you are in the Boulder/Denver area, consider Pace West Physical Therapy. Basically, given how precious time is, stay away from Kaiser Permanente. Spine West in Boulder, CO is also really good. Don't waste your time navigating the system at Kaiser Permanente.

M Washington, DC

We've been with Kaiser for several years and have been generally satisfied with the service until now. Our family member was having some health problems that required medical attention, so we called his Kaiser doctor for medical advice/set up an appointment. We were told that because the insurance plan does not start until February 1, they could not help us THOUGH WE'VE BEEN WITH KAISER FOR SEVERAL YEARS AND THE PLAN LAPSED ONLY A COUPLE WEEKS AGO. We asked if we could speak with our primary care provider over the phone. Again, they said we would have to wait until February 1 to speak to the family doctor.  Our family member is an elderly patient with a history of stroke and a heart condition. We told the Kaiser representative (and later, member services) that we would like to speak with the primary care provider earlier than February 1 given the patient's medical history. The representative then connected us to member services to see if member services could expedite the activation (again, as a reminder, we had been Kaiser members for several years. Had it not been for Kaiser cancelling the plan, we would not even be in this situation), who repeated the same canned spiel about the February 1 start date. Did not seem to care one bit about the patient's health situation and circumstance, not to mention our concerns. At this point, we're exasperated --- it's stressful enough worrying about a family member's health, but add the administrative regs on top of it --- so then we ask then what our options are. Member services says we can go see another doctor outside of Kaiser --- to clarify, this would mean FINDING A NEW DOCTOR OUTSIDE OF THE KAISER NETWORK (calling various providers, asking for availability and whether they would take new patients, etc.) WHEN IN FACT THE KAISER PRIMARY PROVIDER HAS/KNOWS ALL OF THE PATIENTS MEDICAL HISTORY. Efficiency here? We pointed out the great inconvenience and really, utter lack of common sense in the member services rep's recommendation. We pressed on the urgency of the health issue. All we needed was one call with the primary care provider, but Kaiser, due to some strict and unproductive set of regulations, would not budge. At this point, there was no utility in continuing the conversation. So point-blank, we asked member services, "So do you expect the patient to just drop dead after waiting until February 1?" After a few seconds, they said they would talk to someone, put us on hold for at least several minutes (perhaps longer), and later, the line was disconnected so we did not even get to hear what they had to say. Had we been brand new members to Kaiser, it would be another story. But we have been dealing with Kaiser network for several years, and the patient has already established a lengthy medical record within Kaiser. On top of that, the patient has a medical history. So for Kaiser to refuse to accommodate and leave the patient with no choice but to either WAIT OUT THE SICKNESS until February 1, or see another doctor outside the network, to us, seemed counterproductive and not at all sympathetic or cognizant of the role and mission of providing medical care to sick patients. Apathy, laziness, and the "we don't really care because we're following regs and it's not our fault if the patient is unable to receive the proper medical care in due time" puts the interests of the corporation and bureaucracy first before patient care. I would also add that Kaiser still employs a doctor who has received dismal reviews from multiple patients for her incompetence, condescension, and laziness. Our family member had initially received medical care from Dr. Yu Sung K, but switched doctors as Ms. K always returned our calls several weeks late (with no apologies, just orders for the patient to take XYZ medication, to set up an appt, etc.), talked over the patient, and was overall an inattentive, poor medical "expert" who really should reconsider why she's in the field to begin with. If you look up her name, you might still be able to see some of the bad reviews from previous/current patients. Pure disappointment. We are most likely going to cancel or switch out of Kaiser, thanks to our stressful and frustrating experiences with the facility, the providers, and member services.

patrick w bennett Ridgefield, WA

I Have been with Kaiser several years and have been somewhat satisfied with them. Recently I have had an umbilical hernia. I have been to two different doctors and was told that because I was a smoker that they would not do the surgery. At my last visit with Doctor Kim, I was told that if I quit smoking that day he would schedule the surgery in one month. Before surgery I would have to take a UA to make sure I was nicotine free, if not he would not do the surgery. When I asked him about someone that was a drug addict or alcoholic, he said they would also need a UA. He also said that anyone that was over weight would have to lose weight before they would do surgery. I told Doctor Kim that I would just wait and go to the emergency when it ruptured and he said they would just push it back in and send me home, really? When I complained to Kaiser, I received a letter and a phone call from them telling me they would look into it and get back to me. I still haven't heard a word. Don't waste your time with Kaiser.

Guardian of Light Fort Collins, CO

Kaiser Permanente Health Insurance here in Northern Colorado is absolutely the worst you can have. After signing up you'll find Kaiser doesn't have enough physicians to care for you. As a result, you can expect to be forced to drive as far away as 90 miles just to see your PCP! The same or worse applies to specialists! Know this, despite having a major medical center here in Fort Collins as well as a Banner Medical CEnter & Hospital which is the affiliate of Kaiser, The Poudre Valley Fire Department and all the EMTs frequently refuse to take a patient in crisis to Kaiser/Banner because they are completely incapable of treating a major medical event. Does that make you feel good when your life hangs in the balance and the health insurance you bought from Kaiser Permanente is comprised of physicians some 90 miles away or simply doesn't have the necessary medical skills or equipment to save your life? Think about folks, think long and hard.

Madeline (Maddi) Cohen Colorado Springs, CO

Richard, MY Love, Had a stroke a little over 2 weeks ago. We are both Kaiser Permanente customers. No rheab today or tomorrow as the center works with patients only on weekdays. It is time to call Kaiser to task. Richard is getting 1. Phisycal therapy, 2. Occupational therapy and 3. speech therapy. Kaiser denied him Accute Rehab because Kaiser said he didn't qualify by needing 3 types of therapy. It seems they don't know how to count anything but $$$$. All three of his KAISER doctors said he was a PRIME candidate for ACCUTE rehab ( 3 hours per day 7 days per week). Kaiser had a peer confrence with his dr. and still denied him the care he required to REGAIN his quality of life. He is getting about 2.5 hours of therapy 5 days per week. KAISER took over a week to do their process at which time Richard got minimal therapy. I am told that first week of therapy is the most important. Kaiser advertises THRIVE But their real ads should be "If it costs more than we want to pay GO DIE". Each time I see their ads I want to vomit. PLEASE PASS THIS MESSAGE TO YOUR FRIENDS WHO MAY HAVE KAISER OR MAY BE LOOKING FOR COVERAGE.

Barb /Bettina Ellensburg, WA

Kaiser has a very limited network of providers. The providers they do have thus far have demonstrated little compassion and limited understanding of chronic conditions. I've been denied care because the only care for me is "outside their network. I've ended up paying ALL my care plus paying my Kaiser premiums as well. Very costly choice being on a Kaiser plan.

WestSea Seattle, WA

You need Prior Auth for just about everything that you need. I got a referral for massage from my primary care provider, and they approved me to see a massage therapist that performed accupuncture on me! What a violation. I didn't want to go to that provider so I went to a different massage therapist. Now they are not covering the claims, and I tried to appeal, but it was denied because they said my massage therapist didn't get prior auth before performing the services. I was in a lot of pain and needed treatment right away. It's like they prefer you to be on drugs, which will probably be covered faster, than getting alternative therapy.

Irwin Mazin Haymarket, VA

Do not join Kaiser if you are in pain. I am allergic to the non opiate medication uses. I have a condition, caused by Kaiser, that causes my blood pressure to spike when I am active. This has resulted in me fainting and 1) breaking my finger 2) cutting my head, 3) injuring my knee, 4) blacking out, 5)going into hypertensive crisis. Kaiser feels this is better for my health than prescribing me 4 mg of dilaudid, which they did for 6 1/2 years before they changed their policy to only prescribe opiates to cancer patients

Mike Lichtner Inglewood, CA

Depends on location. The Catillac Urgent care location care is Terrible. I was told by one doctor his job was to give me a little something until I could seem my primary care physician. Trying get a appt. with primary physician takes a couple of months. Kaiser website. trying cancel an appt is not possible. you have to call appt line.(not open on weekend). Finally using option to primary physician , does not work. If I get a response, it is never from doctor. And their answer is go to urgent care.

Belinda Rachman Carlsbad, CA

Prescribed a high blood pressure meds that deplete potassium without telling me to take potassium tablets. When my potassium got so low that I fainted AND CRACKED MY HEAD OPEN they forgot to tell me I had a concussion. Later my primary care physician emailed me to ask if they had given me the concussion conversation. NO! I wasn’t supposed to be watching tv, reading, playing on my phone or computer. My mind was supposed to be resting. Gee thanks for not warning me! Yesterday I went to urgent care for ex rays to see if I fractured my humerus. After many ex rays the urgent care doctor gave me an emergency referral to orthopedics without telling me what he saw in the ex rays. A nurse felt sorry for me and slipped me a sling and said something about having a fracture. I called my emergency referral number first thing this morning. There wasn’t a single doctor at any location who could see me today. I leave tomorrow morning for 5 weeks. NO ONE WILL TELL ME HOW TO TREAT THIS UNTIL I GET BACK IN MID OCTOBER!!!! I have never seen such incompetence in my life!!!! I can’t wait to get Medicare next year and switch to Scripps!

E.G. Silver Spring, MD

For 20 years I was a Kaiser client and rarely went there before I had kidney stones. A year ago, due to the incompetence of the attending physician and an erroneous diagnosis, I lost one kidney. Over the past year, I have had several operations. Now I have a firm belief that Kaiser is overwhelmingly losers and doctors from other countries who have received their diplomas based on the standards of backward educational institutions. Kaiser is 90% of hypocrites covering each other. Kaiser will offer you a flu vaccine every day, but you will never have an expensive operation. Instead, Kaiser will conduct hundreds of cheap tests and prescribe cheap drugs that will cost him nothing and will never do what is good for your health, but will be costly for Kaiser. If you value your health, run away from Kaiser before it's too late!

Ashish David Poway, CA

Kaiser Permanente doctors are good, but the overall administration and availability of doctors is a disappointment. Overall I think they have more patients and less doctors in the specialty departments. Most surgery's are done as out patient surgery and to get a surgery appointment look out at least 4 weeks in schedule. They have doctors jammed up in their schedule. If this was not the cheapest option available, we would have never opted for it.

Calista M Seattle, WA

First of all- I would like to express my upset and concern that I have now heard from TWO of your doctors that breast exams are not included in Preventative Health Checks. That is outrageous. Breast health is an important part of a women's overall health. I expect the general public does not know that KP does not think so. Secondly- I went into the clinic to see a new primary care doctor, and SPECIFICALLY ASKED for a breast exam at my appointment, which was my yearly preventative health check up. I told her I was experiencing pain and was concerned. She told me that KP doesn't bother to do breast exams anymore, as they turn up nothing. I told her that my friend just had a lump found in an exam (not at your clinic, clearly) and it was cancer (her reply was "well now I feel stupid"). Dr B did not perform and exam as I requested, nor did she order an exam (physical, mammogram, ultrasound, or other) for me. After leaving, and realizing nothing had been done about my request. I called to get another appointment, which was a ways out, with a new doctor. I no longer wished to see Dr B as I do not trust her judgement or skill. KP clinic called and changed my appointment several times and with several people. I then ended up seeing a fill-in physician, who really can do nothing for me, since she isn't a primary care provider. She also reiterated that breast health is not covered in KP preventative care. (Had I known this prior to switching to KP insurance/group I would have NEVER chosen the company). She did find a lump, and has referred me to get further testing. This should have been dealt with in my original appointment. . Dealing with KP has been a nightmare.

Randy

been a customer most of my life and compared to other health plans they get to the root issue not band aid it because of cost or drag it out for years

Kim Waimea, HI

Coverage is ok IF you can get an appointment. My husband and I moved to Hawaii after living in Honduras for four years. We began coverage on July 1. We attempted to book at the (only 2) eye care providers in network. Six month waiting list and Kaiser does NOT cover anything outside their eye clinics. That is not cool. They should cover a portion outside network if it is their fault they do not staff enough providers for the area. My husband is on his last set of contacts and we now have to pay 100% out of pocket as they certainly will not last until October.

marianne Finkel American Canyon, CA

After being a member for over 30 years, and lately going to routine mammogram, they told me that by copay is 472 dollars, so I cancelled appointment and contacted both our union benefit office and Kaiser patient services via email. After no responses, I walked into patient services office, where I was given a runaround. She told me that I have to contact my doctor about the coding of the mammogram, She never bothered to say, I will find out for you why this happened! and then she asked if I wanted her to mail the benefit booklet, obviously she was very bothered by me asking her questions. So I did now email my doctor, and waiting to hear from her. There is more to tell, but all i want to tell, that I feel like they are just herding me like cattle, no one has any answers, and no one cares.

Mary M Littleton, CO

Kaiser Permanente is not healthcare but in fact, a big scam. The employees there don't take any ownership of wrongdoing. They messed up our accounts and our names and they sent the account to collection, even though my account states a ZERO balance AND my husband was paying a payment plan. When I called the office of financial counselling and I explained to them that the account has discrepancy and we needed to verify our payments and they said "sorry we will pull the file from collection and will contact you to verify." They never did and when I called them on June 21, they said we decided not to pull the file from collection. Not to mention that they hung up the phone while I was talking with them. They are very difficult to deal with and when you ask any questions they will transfer you to another department without answering. Please be warned the nightmare you are getting yourself into when you sign up for Kaiser.

SCREWED BLUE Portland, OR

Kaiser is a criminal NONPROFIT whose CEO makes $10M yr ($834K mo). They are top-heavy with administrators that invent excuses to condone service denial. Drs get kickbacks of the difference between membership fees/govt subsidies & services provided, a further incentive for denying service. Elderly suicidal partner in emotional/financial distress suffering w/spinal stenosis & sleeping disorder is being forced to pay $200 a day for days on end as a barcalounger ca$h cow in a room w/50 other chumps at a LEGACY facility becasuse he is beyond the "scope of compentency" of the FREE Kaiser facility & was threatened with a court ordered mandatory commitment for an undetermined length of time. Despite repeated approved FOIs, Kaiser refuses ANY info to family members. They spring indecipherable bills for vast sums MONTHS later & no amount of phone calls for explanations reveals ANYTHING because nobody has a clue. If you don't pay, you're hounded DAILY with creepy collection calls.

Caitlin Evergreen, CO

Hands down worst physical therapy assessment I have ever received (and as an athlete I have been in physical therapy many times throughout my life). I was seen for about 25 minutes, the appointment felt very rushed. I was given several stretches and strengthening exercises and told “we’ll see you in a few weeks” which I found puzzling. I asked if regular weekly sessions are not something that is done at this facility and was told I could be seen sooner “if I wanted”. So, as I am to understand it, it seems Kaiser’s approach to physical therapy is sporadic rushed appointments where the patient is given some handouts to take home - handouts that I could certainly have found on my own with a few simple internet searches. No regular sessions to track progress and make adjustments as necessary? No manual therapy? No use of well known and effective tools to enhance a stretching and strengthening routine - like electric stim, dry needling, massage, ice, heat, etc? And now I’m stuck with Kaiser and have no choice but to utilize the services of their many little medical factories serving up mediocre care at best. I will have to pay out of pocket to receive quality care for my injuries or I will have to wait until next year where I will NOT be signing on with Kaiser again. SO very disappointed in myself for choosing Kaiser. Thank you next.

R Lodi, CA

I have been a life long member of kaiser, but as off recent I’m losing patience. My father was previously a ,PIC, physician in Chief of one of the california facilities. I had a small zit like blemish show up, and after it not going away naturally after a year, I went in for treatment. Having some medical background and knowledge I asked for a referral to a dermatologist. I was told that first I had to take a month regiment of antibiotics. I took the regiment with no change. I then went in for a secondary appointment and still denied my referral and had the blemish frozen. Still, no relief from the condition, but was told that if it got bigger please contact us again for an appointment. I know am considering switching carriers after being with them for 30+ years. I feel as if I’m being brushed off and have never previously been denied service in the past. I’m not sure what is happening to kaiser, but I am becoming throughly disgusted with be brushed off and disregarded. Do I need to develop a larger issue before they will treat me....that speaks volumes to me, when kaiser used to be known as the best preventative treatment carrier locally. I believe that that reputation no longer holds true and that they have now started rationing care due to the impact of increased enrollment over the last 5 years. This for me after growing up with kaiser has made me question their ability to practice quality medicine. I will make one last attempt to switch facilities and Doctors, before I abandon them for a different coverage and different plan.

Andrew Rosemead, CA

The customer service and the nurses are overall professional, but I'm not impressed with the doctors there. I've been having the very same problem but non of them are able to give me a diagnosis because they don't listen. My primary doctor said I've allergy, but the allergy doctor said I don't have allergy. I asked my primary doctor to let me see dermatologist and he got mad at me. When I got to see a dermatologist, he said I don't have any problem without really looking at me. I'm still sick after months of visiting doctors at kaiser. I don't know what cause the sickness and no doctors there can tell me. A nurse there whispered to me said I should ask my primary doctor to refer me to infectious disease specialist, but when I asked him he refused. When I emailed him the pictures of my skin condition, he doesn't even reply my email. Kaiser doctors are very disappointing. Stay away if you can.

Mitt Kom Norwalk, CA

Kaiser Pediatric Endocrinologist doctors in Downey, Ca is the worst doctors ever seen for kid that has a type I diabetes. Those doctors are unprofessional, inappropriate behavior, making demeaning statement , accusing my kid for lying and changing on the Blood sugar meter level which it can not changed, very disrespectful to my kid. Doctors are suppose to help and care for their patient, however, those doctors have not. We have changed 3 different doctors already, all doctors having the same attitudes , unprofessional behaviors. We do not recommend Kaiser for all your specialty need, stay away.

Jodi Alpharetta, GA

ONE STAR is still to good for them. They will make you come in for office visit after office visit keep paying that copay but nothing gets resolved. KP refuses to cover my Ajovy (for migraine) shots. They want me to come in for blood work, images, all kinds of stuff and each time is a copay. All is done and they still deny the medication. They will try to force you to try any and all other medications. Waste of time!! I paid to see a "specialist" which is a specialist copay price but you don't really get to see a specialist you see a nurse practitioner. Now the NP says, when i come back in next time I will see the MD but I have no idea why I am going back in...nothing was resolved this visit. KP is the worst EVER!!! I will never make the mistake to be a Kaiser member again. January can't get here quick enough.

Amy Newnan, GA

They advertise their customers rarely need a dr referral to see a specialist. I got a referral from my family dr to see a psychiatrist as soon as possible. My Dr's office told me Kaiser was a pain to get referrals processed. They have to fax the form from the dr to Kaiser, then Kaiser calls me sometime after they received the fax. They said in order to be covered for the psychiatrist I needed to speak with a kaiser referral rep, and that I needed to schedule an appt to have a phone call. Their first appt was a month away. One month later when they called, the rep asked me 300 redundant questions. Questions that had already been addressed my actual dr, After the 10 minute questioning, the rep informed they would cover me to see a psychiatrist and another rep will be contacting me sometime next week or the next to schedule an appt with one. So not only, is a dr referral not enough, you have to be interrogated and asked medical questions from an insurance rep. I'm still waiting on my call to schedule my appt. Another incident with Kaiser: after seeing my family dr to get some prescriptions refilled I was shocked to receive a $611 bill from my family dr, Kaiser covered nothing. When I called Kaiser they told me I needed a referral from my family dr to see the dr I saw. I had to tell them that she is my family dr. I chose her off Kaisers website when I signed up for their insurance. The rep said he did see that she was my family dr and said he was reprocessing the claim. That was a 45 days ago. They still haven't reprocessed it. I hate kaiser. Worst insurance I have ever had.

Kristen Weidman Broomfield, CO

There is nothing quick about their urgent care. I have been here with a sick 8 year old for over three hours. It doesn’t even seem busy. At Kaiser you are a number, at best. The doctor (NP) called my son the wrong name several times. His name is Carson, it’s not a hard name to pronounce. We have now been in the pharmacy for an hour and they called us up to the counter 20 minutes ago asking for a weight for my son to dose the medication when he just had a prescription filled two weeks ago. Do they not have his weight on file???? Always an awful experience at Kaiser, but this really puts the icing on the cake.

Going Out-of-Network for Good Service Jonesboro, GA

Overtime the quality of service and the availability of doctors are in decline. The medication available in their pharmacy is of inferior quality and not as effective as those you buy from othe pharmacies (Walmart, CVS, Kroger). You may file a complaint with members services but they don’t respond or provide a determination of your case. Their facility in Morrow Georgia has undergone extensive renovation and expansion, however it is virtually impossible to get an appointment. Pretty state of the Art, yet useless because you can’t get an appointment to see a doctor. Come next open season I will be taking my money to a health care provider that actually provides healthcare.

Godot San Francisco, CA

I'm a lawyer and I obviously don't do drugs or even drink, as I told my new Kaiser doc. She ordered a bunch of tests for a smallish health problem I was having. There was no emergency. As I only learned accidentally, after the test, she had ordered my urine tested for drugs and alcohol--without my consent. To make matters worse, she was evasive when I asked her what the test was for. I had to order the test results for confirmation that the test was done. (Ironically, the test results were too private for member services to give me on the phone, but my bodily integrity was not private enough for Kaiser not to invade it with a nonconsensual test.) Yes, the drug/alcohol test was negative. Now, so is my relationship with "my" doctor. When I was having asthma problems and shortness of breath another doc--Dr. Minimizer I called him--had me walk up a flight of stairs and reported I seemed fine, as in "it's all in your head, dude. No breathing problem. Did you pay the copay? Bye." After that, a friend suggested I use a cheap and simple lung measuring device, which I did. It showed my breathing capacity was at about 75% of normal. After starting asthma meds I felt almost immediate relief. That's the kind of treatment one gets with a $1,000 per month policy. Your body is actually Kaiser's, to be processed by their grindingly impersonal "protocol" machine invented by stat-churning bureaucrats who somehow seem to leave just enough to pay $4.7 million in 2017 for the CEO's salary--of a nonprofit. Join and you become a Kaiserian subject to rationed health care but unrationed executive salaries. Disagree with Kaiser? They'll do everything in their power to grind you down, firing up their CYA machine, circling the bureaucratic and lawyerly wagons and requiring you file an appeal, which they'll then probably deny. Maybe if you're lucky, you can get your state regulator involved. Good luck with that as you wait for six months for something to happen. The important thing is not that you survive; it's that if there's a problem, Kaiser not have to pay a dime for malpractice. After so many bad experiences, I don't trust Kaiser at all. Literally one of ten doctors I've seen at Kaiser was any good. I cringe when I hear their ads about working for your health. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid like the plague. And if you're already there at Kaiser, ask your doctor point blank what incentives he/she has to give or deny care, do operations, or carry a certain patient load. But there's a catch: in what's supposed to be the country that is the shining beacon to the world, practically all the health insurers are as bad as Kaiser. But at least with the others you'll get relatively independent docs who have probably only cut a few deals with the insurer to limit your care so that they can get access to the large patient base, and indoctrinated by the "one-protocol-fits-all and we are the greatest" Kaiser myth on a daily basis. Volume pays, for Microsoft and for health insurers, just not for you, and especially not at Kaiser.

BH Littleton, CO

Kaiser is discriminating against people with disabilities and is Horrible ins for disabled people with chronic pain. I've done every surgery and injections recommended by Kaiser, including getting a spine stimulator. My pain has gone down throughout the years, however my meds get me thru the rest. I understand the opioid epidemic and the abuse of the meds. I personally have never taken more than prescribed, ever lost a script or medication or ever requested more than my monthly allotment. As a matter of fact I've tapered myself down over the last several years on my own, because I can't stand being on them, however my body says differently. I get to the point where I can't take another step or I have been in one position for too long and can't rotate without extreme pain shooting thru my back and legs. I go to the gym regularly, stretch daily and have done pain classes and meditation. I'm well educated on my own health. Kaiser DOES NOT offer pain specialists, but plenty of surgeons that can't fix pain. Kaiser primary doc referred me to see an outside pain specialist, however upper management DENIED the referral, stating that their own staff will take over my care. I've seen over 10 doctors in Kaiser that still won't "take over". When I confronted my PCP A. Chudik about the DENIAL OF THE REFERRAL, her response was a referral to go to yet another class to "cope with the pain" instead of fighting for my care. My chart is very clear as to the MRI's Ct scans, xrays, doctors i've seen, procedures that have been completed, etc. so there's no surprise as to the legitimacy of my health. I understand if A. Chudik does not want to handle higher amounts of medication, but her job is to find the doctor that is. There has been plenty of opportunity for A. Chudik to help with getting the referral to go thru, she just doesn't want to take the time to do it. Maybe that's her way of washing her hands of a patient that needs a little extra care besides a 'simple cold'. She is a horrible advocate for patients and is in the wrong line of work, if this is the extent of her abilities. Yes I've taken action regarding appeals and begging, now my quality of life is being punished by Kaiser without any signs of relief in sight and any medication is out of pocket @ over $500 per script even though I'm covered by Medicare and Medicaid.

Chase Decatur, GA

I have experienced nothing but a bunch of chaos and confusion including lies from the staff and the customer service that schedule appointments. They assigned me a primary care physician and then midway through the year they switched it up to somebody who knew nothing about me l. And this doctor tried to change all of my medications because of his own personal experiences that he had in the past from someone at his church. Then on top of that I needed to have surgery for my hand and I gave them ample time to have it scheduled but only to have them botched the scheduling up and now it’s almost a year later and I have had to deal with paying for the last two months. They will tell you anything! Please do not use Kaiser... find another carrier for your insurance Kaiser does not care!

Pedro Belmont, CA

Kaiser Permanente has the worst customer service, doctors don't listen to their patients and their website is useless!!! I came in to see my general doctor and ask her to give me a referral to a dermatologist about these spots on my back, she told me it is not needed because it was only a rash and all I need to put on it is calamine lotion. I told her it was not that because I had this when I was younger but she still didn't give me the referral. Very awful experience. Second, I had upgraded my plan and put in my card for automatic payment due to travel reason and can't get to mail sometime. There was a hiccup when they tried to charge the card (even though I had money in the bank) so instead of trying to charge the card again, they put a hold on the card and sent me "one" letter to my residence. After a couple of months, I check the website and I accumulated over a thousand dollars in monthly payment. I checked the website on what happen to my automatic payment and it said that my card was "active". And here is the third strike, I called their call center and talked to them about my situation, they told me about my card being on hold and they sent "one" letter around February. I told them, I travel and I didn't look at letter because I thought it might be a bill for $0. I asked them why they didn't contact me through phone, email, or even through their website which has an inbox. I asked for a supervisor, not around so I told the operator to have him/her to call me or email me. No response. A week later they sent me an "email" ( which I responded right away and this wouldn't have happen if they made the effort to use all means of communication with me) to say they had cancel my membership due to non-payment. I could go on about what was the outcome which resulted in still being bad. So once open enrollment comes, I will be going to their competitors.