BlueCross BlueShield is a renowned health insurance provider. With BlueCross BlueShield, customers can have access to great member resources. Customers can also purchase dental and vision coverage.

View BlueCross BlueShield Reviews

BlueCross BlueShield is also a parent company of other health insurance companies that provide BlueCross BlueShield health insurance in specific regions and states. BlueCross BlueShield companies include Anthem, CareFirst, Regence, Wellmark, Highmark, Capital, Empire, Independence, Horizon, and Premera.

It oversees 36 different insurance companies, all of which are locally operated. As a nationwide company in the health insurance marketplace, BlueCross BlueShield has helped millions of people with health insurance plans since its founding in 1929.

The Good

• Types of Plans Offered
  • Member Resources
  • Unique Features
  • Customer Service
  • Availability and Acceptance

Types of Plans Offered

BlueCross BlueShield insurance plans are available nationwide and widely accepted at hospitals and doctor's offices.

Coverage options range in many types — from a Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) to Health Maintenance Organization (HMO). These plan-types indicate the kind of provider network available with the health plan. PPO plans generally offer coverage for seeing out-of-network providers, though the coverage levels are not as high as for in-network providers. HMO plans only offer out-of-network coverage in emergency situations.

BlueCross BlueShield also offers plans with Health Savings Accounts (HSAs), Health Reimbursement Accounts (HRAs), and Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs). BlueCross BlueShield also offers indemnity, Point of Service (POS), and short-term health insurance plan.

BlueCross BlueShield also offers Medicare and Medicaid plans. Its Medicare plans include Medicare Supplement plans (Medigap), Part D (prescription drug plans), and Medicare Advantage plans. Medicare Advantage plans offer the coverage of Medicare Parts A and B in a single health plan. To qualify for Medicare, individuals generally must be at least 65 years old.

The coverage and details of each of these plans vary. The costs depend partially on your health situation (including age, number of group being insured, health status, etc.) and your location. When you initially search for a health plan to understand the benefits and costs of monthly payments, expect to put in your location and some personal information, as these points will help BlueCross BlueShield draw up a list of potential plans for you.

In addition to health care coverage options, the some BlueCross BlueShield Plan offerings include dental insurance plans and vision insurance. Dental plans and vision plans may also vary by location, so it's important to work with the subsidiary in your area to get specific information. Those looking for vision or dental coverage can find good policies through BlueCross BlueShield.

As you evaluate your health insurance options, keep your health needs and budget in mind. The amount you pay for a health plan is not limited to the monthly premiums. In addition to considering the cost of premiums, you should also consider how expensive the out-of-pocket expenses will be. Sometimes paying a higher premium will mean having cheaper out-of-pocket expenses (copays and coinsurance) or lower out-of-pocket maximums.

Member Resources

BlueCross BlueShield keeps up its positive reputation with members with both basic and advanced tools. Some of these tools are specific to each of its subsidiaries, and include customer service numbers and mobile apps.

Unique Features

BlueCross BlueShield's network of doctors and specialists is gigantic. BlueCross BlueShield insurance is accepted all over the United States. Because of the wide acceptance, it should be easy to find hospitals and doctors in-network. Treatment and other medical services you receive from these provides will be covered in part by this company.

Another unique feature of the Blue365 program. Through Blue365, members can receive discounts on all sorts of health-related products and services. Some discounts and deals change from time to time. Blue365 saves you money and provides added motivation for you to get and stay healthy. Not every BlueCross BlueShield subsidiary may participate in Blue365, so check with your subsidiary to see if it does.

The BlueCross BlueShield website is extremely detailed and full of resources for members and potential customers alike. For anyone who would benefit from it, it has general information about health care, health insurance, terminology, legal changes, and how all these factors affect people who need health insurance.

More specifically, though, through the website you can find answers to questions about actual health plans offered by BlueCross BlueShield. You can search for plans and get a quote, narrowing your search by location and the type of plan you're looking for.

BlueCross BlueShield answers frequently asked questions, have social media outlets to connect with clients more personally, and of course, provide mailing information for when you need to mail in a form or contact them via snail mail.

In short, BlueCross BlueShield takes lots of different steps to meet the needs of customers all over the US. It is available 24/7 to members and has set up its customer service tools to be convenient, immediate, and of course, helpful-even in the details.

Availability and Acceptance

BlueCross BlueShield is available in all 50 states, and is widely accepted by doctors and hospitals. Specific provider network access, however, does depend on the individual health plan.

Get Quote

The Bad

State-Specific Coverage

For better or worse, the coverage you receive through your health plan depends partially on the state you live in (the state in which you would use that insurance). In other words, you can't just look up a PPO plan at BlueCross BlueShield and expect the same coverage percentages, out-of-pocket costs, and deductibles for any state. The BlueCross BlueShield website will direct you to the company that serves your area before you can get information on plan options.

The Bottom Line

In many ways, it's not surprising that there are inconsistencies in health insurance plan details at BlueCross BlueShield. After all, the health insurer is large and works though several subsidiaries. It provides coverage nationwide, and has an extensive history and reputation.

Its growth has brought both positive and negative consequences. For example, it's positive that BlueCross BlueShield is accepted at such a high percentages of hospitals, doctors, and urgent care centers because it is a well-known brand in the health insurance marketplace. But on the other hand, the office you work with locally could be one of those with a poor reputation since BlueCross BlueShield doesn't micromanage each subsidiary.

It's important to make sure any health plan you choose offers the medical coverage you need and is affordable. The best health insurance plan for someone else may not necessarily be the best fit for your situation. Be sure to understand your health needs and what would fit into your budget. Choosing a reliable health insurer is also important. Reading health insurance reviews from customers can give you a sense of the general quality BlueCross BlueShield offers.

Long story short, BlueCross BlueShield is still a recommended health insurance option. There are some regional differences with BlueCross BlueShield companies, so interested people should work with the insurer directly to learn more about coverage, benefits, premium rates, deductible, and out-of-pocket limit available with each health plan.

Call our recommended rep over at BlueCross BlueShield below.

3.6

Aidan Keogh

February 28th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

BlueCross BlueShield has been great insurance company. They were quick to pay and to explain the benefits. The network and coverage has worked well for our family.

Mark Wells

February 27th, 2020 Dallas, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ever since signing up with Blue Cross Blue Shield my medical bills have basically been covered. Coming from a low income household every penny helps and they've helped me save so much money. Anytime I need to call in someone is always very helpful.

take7

February 27th, 2020 Sandy, UT

We didn't last long with blue cross blue shield. It was hard because the doctors and hospitals close to us we had always used didn't take them. I had to find new pediatrician. When I called customer service a couple times because I was trying to find details on coverage and places to go they kept referring me to my policy. Isn't that what they're there for? to help with that?

JDWain

February 26th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have BlueCross BlueShield of Florida and I have never had any problems with my insurance not being accepted somewhere. I have had to call their customer service a few times to get some things sorted out but they always resolved the issue for me.

Dwhoush

February 26th, 2020 Theodore, AL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Any questions I have about my insurance are always answers very quickly. Everyone on the phone is nice and all the literature Blue cross gives out is helpful. The biggest concern I have with BCBS is a lot of the providers in my area don’t take it.

Martha Gourley

February 26th, 2020 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I took care of my elderly mother for years. Blue Cross Blue Shield was the only insurance she would let me purchase for her. Served her well.

Bryndie

February 25th, 2020 Managua, MN

Really good plans for a lot of people. Accepted at a wide range of places, and very easy to work with.

Malia Barnes

February 25th, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love this company!! They cover many different Dr offices on our area and have a great program called, “Blue point preferred provider” where your co-pay is half the normal cost if you go to the The point provider Dr. The website is very interactive and user-friendly. It has a fitness program on it where you can earn up to $25 a year in Amazon gift cards by doing their health programs. I have called in to talk to customer service on multiple occasions and have always gotten to a life person without a long wait time. Customer service has always been very helpful and answered all my questions

Lorna Johnston

February 25th, 2020 West Valley City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We were insured by Blue Cross Blue Shield through my husband’s employment for nearly many years. My husband was hit by a truck while riding his bicycle and was severely injured. Everything was covered as per the policy. The only thing that was annoying was that every submission for the same accident which included many providers was first denied as out of network. I had to call for each one to explain that he had been taken by ambulance to the hospital that was designated and hospitals are rotated which is covered. They didn’t flag the file that this was the case which seemed like it should have been automatic.

Julie Taylor

February 25th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The coverage we had with BlueCross BlueShield was great. The only difficulty we have had is that they are somewhat slow to pay benefits. We received some bills that were a couple of years old. Super hard if you are on a tight budget.

Greg

February 25th, 2020 West Valley City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Our family was insured by BlueCross Blue Shield for many years through my employment before I retired. They had very good coverage and we got what we expected from our coverage. The only negative was when we had to call about each claim that was denied as out of network when they were actually covered because the ambulance is on a rotation to emergency rooms and the charges are covered in spite of the ER being technically out of network. I wish they could have tagged the file so we didn't have to call on every claim but they paid and took care of it.

Valentino Chanel

February 20th, 2020 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I received the coverage I needed while I was on bcbs. I never really had an issue.

Eddie Rios

February 6th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

BlueCross BlueShield has been a blessing for our family. They are a solid health insurance provider with a high regard for service. They have always been good to deal with for claims, service, or information. They are highly recommended as a top tier health insurance provider.

Angelina Hamilton

February 5th, 2020 Gulfport, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Overall they have been a good provider. Some of the things I think they could do a better job. My child had to have an x-ray done and the doctor didn’t have the equipment in their office so we had to go to the hospital and do an outpatient one. And of course they didn’t cover it because of it.

Makayla Manus

February 4th, 2020 Gulfport, MS

Good insurance company. Never fails to pay for my medical needs. The employees are very helpful.

Tiffany I

February 4th, 2020 Gaithersburg, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Been with Blue Cross with my employer for over 10 yrs. Never had an issue with coverage. My children’s deliveries along with minor surgeries were covered with no issues.

Shannon Panameno

February 4th, 2020 Bentonville, AR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

There is so much red tape involved in accessing my benefits, it's easier to pay cash out of pocket than deal with these crooks. They won't send a bill, statement of benefits or ID card until they receive the first payment. So basically you'll pay for the first month, but still not have access to your benefits. Here is the phone call I had w a BS/BC rep just now. "Me: Hi, I haven't received a bill or an ID card or description of my benefits and my insurance is being denied by doctors I need to see." BS: "Well we can't send you a bill until we receive your first payment." Stupid me, I send them $540 a month and still can not use my medical insurance...what exactly am I paying for???? Grrrr

Lindsay

February 3rd, 2020 Norcross, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I called bcbs recently to inquire about how much they would pay for a procedure. The man was patient but not very helpful in that I couldn’t get the answer I needed. I usually have had a good experience with them , however, it was just that one time.

Stephen Love

January 30th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have a medigap policy with Blue Cross. They are very good at paying claims and I have a lot of them. Sometimes they ar a little difficult to get a hold of but I rarely have to contact them which is a good thing!

jean margaret arnold

January 30th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Readily accepted by variety of physicians in my area; premiums have increased to the point that my former employed recimmends Aetna as well as Blue Cross Blue shield

marc wiener

January 30th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

terrible csutomer servive and never can find a in network provider

Matt K

January 30th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Need to improve on their test approvals timetable and not immediately reject a request.

Jeff

January 30th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

bad claim processing, people do not know their jobs, and are rude!

Friend

January 30th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had several problems with them and cover my appointments.

Nancy A DeNault

January 30th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I called them to see my coverage on a few things. They were very friendly and very helpful. Helped me out tremendously

Amal Sweis

January 30th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Excellent experience. Everything I needed I just visited their office in Little Rock and talk to our agent who was great and helped in any inquiry

Alisha Stokes

January 29th, 2020 Winter Haven, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

RUN do not purchase BCBS . Use to be one of the best and is now one of the worst. They hire "vendors " 3rd party companies to micromanage how you can use your benefits. It should be illegal what their are doing especially joining with ASH network which is a joke.

Janine Murphy

January 27th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had this coverage for the last 6 years and have had all services covered and help in securing assistance.

Margaret Pearson

January 27th, 2020 Lebanon, IL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They help to cover my expensive macular degeneration eye shots

M Schwartz

January 27th, 2020 Sicklerville, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I was told that because im HMO, if i go on vacation they wont pay any medical unless life threatening. My son had blood in urine which scared him while on vacation and his claim was denied at urgent care because it wasnt life threatening

Madison Kneiss

January 27th, 2020 Long Beach, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

BEEN A CUSTOMER FOR YEARS GREAT COVERAGE LOW CO PAY INDIVIDUAL CUSTOMER SERVICE HAPPY WITH IT

Karen Hartnack

January 27th, 2020 Norcross, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have few health issues I am lucky to have this health insurance great coverage little out of pocket

Danielle Powell

January 27th, 2020 Long Beach, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Have used this for several years. The plan book is easy to read and know what is expected to be paid so there are no unpleasant surprises

Richard Vanderstek

January 23rd, 2020 San Antonio, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The worse ever! I have never been so mistreated by a company in my life. Their error cost me 3 weeks of having medical insurance, and I still had to pay for the full month of coverage so I did not lose coverage. I spent over 6 hours with them on the phone fixing their error... time toilet! Integrity is just a word. If they were a retail store they would be out of business.

Aunt Cathy

January 23rd, 2020 Bay Saint Louis, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Wish we were still with them, tho they gotten pretty expensive.. But they paid EVERYTHING for my son's knew surgery and PT. there was no limit on appts he needed.. My hysterectomy , I think cost me $200 to $300. PERIOD!! They took care of us

Terry Mama

January 22nd, 2020 Kennesaw, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have had BCBS for four years. My husband is a UPS employee with a “Cadillac” top of the line plan, and it sucks!! They nickel and dime you for everything. Pray that you don’t need an ambulance or anything out of network. They say it’s covered at whatever the reasonable going rate is for the area, but it’s not. They’ll only pay about half of what your billed, even if every ambulance provider in your area charges the same price or more. Well visits are supposed to be covered at 100%, but again, they NEVER are. Expect a bill for some of it. Crooked company. I wish UPS would go back to Atnea.

Nancy Paugh

January 21st, 2020 Long Beach, MS

Most hospitals and doctors accept this insurance which is not always easy to find. The rates are comparable to most policies. Finding test results online make it easy and unnecessary to make another appointment.

Zac Cannon

January 15th, 2020 Gulfport, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

BlueCross is the insurance company I have used my whole life before and since I've been employed. They're definitely trust worthy and have decent rates for educators! Family plans are expensive, but luckily my wife and I have our own insurance through our separate work places.

Mickey Mangum

January 14th, 2020 Long Beach, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am a state employee and we use Blue Cross Blue Shield. Every claim I've had has been handled quickly and professionally. I would strongly recommend them.

Brianna bourgeois

January 14th, 2020 Long Beach, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have never been turned down for my insurance. I have always had a small copay and that was it. I am thankful that I have such a reliable insurance company because I almost never have to worry if it will be accepted.

Rebecca Harvey

January 13th, 2020 Long Beach, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Best insurance company to have! They have helped me so much when I’ve needed it and are currently covering all kinds of things for my pregnancy. I would recommend them to anybody!

Kristie Pierocich

January 13th, 2020 Long Beach, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We’ve had BCBS federal for many many years and the coverage and incentives are the best around.

Debbie Fish

January 13th, 2020 Biloxi, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Costs go up and coverage goes down every year. When my husband had an accident years ago I had to fight with BCBS to get the necessary services covered.

Sarah Russie

January 6th, 2020 Clearfield, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Pretty good coverage and customertomer service. Overall happy with company, but some fees and coverages are not as good to help the individual as they could be.

Dr Pinder

January 2nd, 2020 Lake Worth, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The insurance is really good (10 years). However, if you are looking for customer service, you will always be frustrated. After waiting on hold for 1 hour plus, I was transferred to wait again. Only to receive another phone number to contact for my answer.

Adrianne murray

December 31st, 2019 Brigham City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We’ve had this insurance company for an entire year. Because were a small business owners we pay quite a bit per month. It was one of the better costing insurances for our needs. We did have a really high deductible and this year it raised another $500 so that sucks. But considering I had a High risk pregnancy last year and babies Born more than nine weeks early we definitely got the better end of the deal with insurance. There are a few things that I felt like should’ve been covered that they kind of squeaked by and didn’t pay for. There’s a few prescriptions that I felt like when the doctor prescribes them they should pay for. But at the end we went back with them again This next year

Sara Smith

December 9th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

When my husband was out of work we were still able to get great insurance at a great price to put our minds at ease until work was found again.

Connor

December 5th, 2019 Farmington, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I'm convinced I have the best insurance in the world. Not only is my coverage great, but the online tools are so easy to use. I can easily find out if I'm covered and where my local providers are that are in network.

Michelle W

November 27th, 2019 Coraopolis, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My husband and I have this now, and I'm grateful we do. Our plan is perfect for us, and BCBS is a wonderful organization to work with when it comes to our health.

Daphne Brown

November 25th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Not my favorite health insurance. They were better towards the end but earlier they had issues calculating my yearly total and not sure it was all their fault. I wish more people would accept their fees.