MidwayUSA Logo

In 1977, owner Larry Potterfield started an ammunition company called Ely Ammunition Inc now known as MidwayUSA. This company sells a variety of quality hunting, ammunition, and firearm parts and accessories.

Unlike most other firearm and firearm accessory distributors, MidwayUSA vends a large selection of gunsmithing supplies and equipment. The online store supplies products in the following categories: ammunition, gun parts, reloading supplies, optics, guns, shooting gear, black powder supplies, gunsmithing supplies, hunting gear, air guns, fishing, and camping.

Keep reading our MidwayUSA review to learn more about the pros and cons of ordering guns and ammo through this company or skip to the MidwayUSA reviews.

GrabAGun Logo
#2 GrabAGun chevron_right
Brownells Logo
#3 Brownells chevron_right
1.7
star star_half star_border star_border star_border

The Good

• Excellent Customer Support
  • Detailed Reviews
  • Thorough Information

Excellent Customer Support

MidwayUSA delivers excellent customer support. They provide a live customer service chat, in-site emails, as well as a customer service hotline.

If a customer has a problem or question, they have plenty of ways to contact MidwayUSA to get their problem solved. MidwayUSA offers a detailed product description and reviews on all of the products they distribute.

Detailed Reviews

Customers are provided with the option of reading and leaving product reviews.

All customers can rate the product and their experience based on a five-star scale and make comments on other users' reviews.

This reviewing option that MidwayUSA offers allows customers to interact with other customers to help each other get the most out of the products they are purchasing or thinking about purchasing.

The conversation program sets MidwayUSA apart from their online store competitors because they are essentially allowing for a transparent purchasing process for their customers.

Thorough Information

MidwayUSA presents thorough online information on all of the products they distribute in their shop.

This information includes product features, equipment, price information, policies and procedures, technical information, ballistics, shipping and delivery information, and even product videos.

With this offered information, customers can fully research the product and price through MidwayUSA before they decide to take action. Instead of having to do research on products on different sites or through a variety of means, customers are provided with everything they need to know about a product by MidwayUSA.

The company's product videos are especially unique and valuable — not many of MidwayUSA's competitors provide the videos or nearly as much business information.

The Bad

• No Warranties
  • Short Return Policy
  • Issues With Delivery

No Warranties

MidwayUSA does not provide warranties for its products. The company only provides a manufacturer warranty. This is not uncommon for distributors of firearms and ammunition, but it is also not in the customer's best interest.

Instead of being able to trust the MidwayUSA will back up its products, a customer has to rely on the manufacturer's service for that.

Meanwhile, some other online store competitors offer a lifetime warranty for certain products.

Short Return Policy

MidwayUSA has a 60-day return policy. That means that if a customer has an issue with a product they bought, they only have two months to get their money back.

After 60 days, MidwayUSA only offers exchanges or shop credit. The 60-day time period to get a full refund is lower than most of MidwayUSA's competitors. Customers should note that some items are not eligible for return. If you order a gun, gunpowder, boxer primer, black powder firearm, treestand, and/or ammunition, you can’t return the item due to safety concerns.

Issues With Delivery

While MidwayUSA is very good at resolving problems, they tend to struggle with preventing those problems.

Products shipped and delivered are sometimes the wrong order or take too long to get to the customer. MidwayUSA resolves these shipping and delivery problems but does very little to prevent them or to take corrective measures to improve their process.

The Bottom Line

MidwayUSA tends to be a dependable company to order from. The company has been active in the firearm and ammunition industry for several years longer than many other online stores.

MidwayUSA sells a variety of products and accessories including reloading supplies, outdoor gear, competitive shooting items, and more.

Their employees have an excellent track record of ensuring customer experience satisfaction by personally resolving any issues and by providing plenty of customer support. MidwayUSA claims that they focus on customer satisfaction, and they live up to that claim.

The rating program that they provide on their website for every product from past customers is another customer satisfaction plus-it provides customers with a mostly unbiased opinion of a product that they are looking to purchase.

As with almost any business, MidwayUSA has some bugs that still need to be worked out. If MidwayUSA were to provide better warranties and improve their delivery/shipping system, they would stand out even more in the firearms and ammunition industry. MidwayUSA is a well-recommended company that lives up to its reputation.

Have you ordered from MidwayUSA? Would you recommend it to a friend? Let us know by leaving a review below.

View Best Guns and Ammo Stores

2.5

Bob Artz Hagerstown, MD

Just wanted to mention how Great this company is. Placed an order on Sunday June 30,2021 int the afternoon. Received an email almost immediately from Larry P saying he is a stickler for Fast shipping. On Monday Memorial Day received an email that my order had shipped. Was able to track my order saying it would arrive Thursday June 3 and it arrived midway as stated. I saved well over $50 on the items I ordered including a Muddy High back swivel blind chair for $69.99 regularly $ 99.99. With my Free Shipping I basically got 2 of my items Free based on my savings. Great company,Quality Products and Great Prices. Will buy from again. Thanks Bob Artz

KAT Buckeye, AZ

Have used them several times during the pandemic. Price better than local. Shipping was prompt. I have had no issues. Shipping a bit expensive, but still cheaper than local price gauging.

Rustys777 Morganton, NC

I've only placed 2 orders but the first shipped and arrived quickly for the times and was high quality and I placed an order last night that was shipped today

Ernie Coventry, RI

Twice within the space of two months I received defective products. Their return policy is good BUT ONE DOES NOT PURCHASE A PRODUCT IN ORDER TO RETURN IT. Their shipping department is not looking at what they are shipping.

James Spencer Utica, NY

MidwayUSA is hands down one of the best online stores to use for anything firearm related. Their customer service is above and beyond anyone else. I recently had a shipment lost by USPS and with contacting Midwayusa they shipped out another item for me without any hassle. As I learned the original order was then found and on its way to me, they again intercepted the duplicate order for me so I didn't even have to bother with it. This is one example of many that I have of why they are an amazing company to do business with. I know I will always put them first in my list of companies I shop from online.

Stephen Wood Kodak, TN

I ordered the "Do-All Blast Back Auto Resetting Rifle Target NM-500 Steel" from Midway as a gift for my son-in-law. The item arrived promptly however, the box was in the bad shape, obviously torn open by someone and hastily re-taped. One inch or so of the metal legs were protruding from the box. This is not something I could give as a gift. I used Midway's online return system, explaining in detail why I was returning the product and asking for a replacement. I immediately received a return authorization and shipping labels; no questions asked. I did return the product, shipping paid by Midway. Within a few days, a received notification that a replacement was on its way. It arrived yesterday in great shape. This feedback is about Midway and their customer service, not the product. I assume it is just fine. One cannot ask more of a company than Midway delivered. When I look for shooting or hunting gear in the future, Midway USA will be my first stop.

Aaron King Chicago, IL

Ups and usps lost my order from midway, didn’t receive it on date I should’ve..so I called midway and they immediately sent out a new order (same stuff I ordered the first time) and it was in my mailbox in less than 3 days with upgraded shipping. Midway is an exceptional company and has done nothing but impress me with their ability to restock inventory, fulfill orders and even make right of wrongs that weren’t in anyway their fault. Trust that midway will have your back, even through the worst.

AL KINGSTON Waveland, MS

I purchased an item marked on sale as 'blemished'. Which I can live with a dent, scratch or discolored. However, this item came in a damaged package from the factory, not from the post office and the main assembly parts are missing. I reached out to MidwayUSA for assistance to remedy this problem and they are ignoring me. I do not recommend this company at all. I now have an expensive piece of equipment I cannot use.

Tx Mike Eagle Lake, TX

I have been a long time customer and have found the service to be very good. Their prices are fair and in the very few incidences I've had with problems in shipment, the issue has been resolved quickly and to my satisfaction. I purchase a lot of sporting goods on line and I have yet to find a company that is as good as MidwayUSA. I simply do not understand these negative reviews.

Michael , IL

I read all the bad reviews on this website and ordered based on the few recent good results. I will be ordering again, best experience I've had cutting ammo online living in Illinois. I ordered a case of 1000 rounds of 223 on 9/16/20 and it delivered today 9/17/20. It was priced right and I've never had faster shipping than this with any company before, even with the covid nonsense. It was priced fairly at .58 cents a round imine these people gouging $1.00 plus a round everywhere.

Fred Frontino Mesa, AZ

I've been buying from Midway USA for about 30 years. They have great customer service, prices, and selection. I highly recommend them.

webshopper Ellicott City, MD

Midway has jumped on a price gouging wagon. E.g. ammo is up to 300% markup compared to Cabela's. This the seller that abuses the situation with ammo shortage. They have been sitting on their supplies knowing that prices would be rising. And not only ammo. Just noticed Lee hand press kit that used to be $53 just a month ago, now costs $78.99. Inventory is managed very poorly. This seller makes all the sales starting with Thanksgiving until Christmas. Most of the year, they rarely have anything useful. They give me birthday prices when holidays are over and every year I browse their site every day for two weeks and everything is out of stock. They may just shut down their internet domain and activate it by Thanksgiving and I would not even notice.

Samuel Steen Jacksonville, FL

I have bought lots of ammo, rifle scopes, binoculars, night scopes, an knives from Midway. They allow me to get notifications for ammo that is not in stock. I have purchased shotgun shells, handgun ammo, rifle ammo, and a wide selection of knives. I am impressed with the accuracy of Midway and the speed of processing, the side selection of products and a super web site that enables me to select exactly the kind of ammo I want to purchase.

G.T. Merritt Island, FL

Midway is the new PRICE GOUGING CHAMP for 2021. Their prices for ammo and ALL reloading components have hit all time highs, and are often 40% above other suppliers. Don't reward their arrogance and unethical , unscrupulous business practices by adding to their financial bottom line.

stephen sznajder St. Petersburg, FL

I would like to send my appreciation to midway for their excellent and speedy serve for items purchased job well done again thanks sps

B Mt. Pleasant, SC

I'm giving them just two stars because this is the 3rd order that has taken a very long time to arrive. I ordered a product and it supposedly shipped Feb 26, 2021. As of March 16, I still don't have the item nor any detail shipping information other than "in transit."

David San Jose, CA

I recently purchased a second pair of Crispi Dakota GTX boots. The lacing system consists of metal and nylon eyelets. The nylon eyelet pulled out of place making the new boot unwearable. They were worn three times casually and not on a hike. Midway would not return or exchange the boots but was" very sorry for the inconvenience" I will NEVER trust that store again.

Edward R Prescott Valley, AZ

Purchased a franklin tumbler. Received delivery on a Friday. The following Tuesday I received a Midwayusa sales flyer reflecting the same tumbler for $35 less. I hadn't even opened the box. I called Midwayusa to see if I could at least get a store credit for the difference. Although admitting that I could return the unopened tumbler for a refund and repurchase it at the sale price, they would not budge on making any other kind of adjustment. I will be making an adjustment, though. I won't shop at Midwayusa again!

Gabe Tower Longmont, CO

Lots of spam. Every checkout urges you to donate to the NRA, gives you "free" offers which are really just subscriptions to three obscure print magazines (a 100 dollar value!) and almost immediately after buying one product from them, I started getting book-sized physical mail from them, like the other spam from stores and shops nobody in their right mind would ever sign up for. I only order from them when nobody else has what I need. Use Optics Planet or Brownells; both are much more respectful of privacy and data, and have considerably better customer service.

paul Youngsville, NC

I ordered a package on 12/05/20 and paid $6.10 shipping on a package that weighted less that 1/2 lb. it was shipped 2 days after ordering. Tracking the package it was turned over to the USPS 40 miles form my house on 12/12/20 and then all information disappeared. Said tracking number could not be found. Now on 12/18/20 6 days later the package shows up 120 miles from my house. 13 days after ordering the package i still don't have it and don't know if or when I will ever get it. I know you will think this is not Midways problem but I feel if you are going to charge me shipping you should ship it in a way I will receive it in an acceptable time. Not through 2 or 3 different ways. I also ordered a product one night at 1:00 AM and when checking the order I realized I had picked the wrong item. I immediately went back in to change and it said the product was already in the process of being shipped. Less than 15 minutes had passed after the order. But I could change it for a $20 charge. this was on a $30 item. Well I didn't change it and i will not be shopping ay Midway any longer. Your experience may be different but this is not the only 2 issues I have had with them. Just beware. They have lost me for a customer.

Mike O'Reilly Vallejo, CA

I've been ordering from MidwayUSA for a long time now and have never had a issue with them. I order everything from clothing to reloading supply. They are very prompt and and ship as soon as possible.

John Burnside Colorado Springs, CO

I use Midway for many of the specialized items I need for my firearms and reloading components. Their prices are sometimes a bit higher than what I like but I can get what I need without searching out several stores. Selection is sometimes a bit sparse when everyone is trying to horde stuff but that happens everwhere.

Quentin Jones Eagle Mountain, UT

I have had great experience time after time with midway....super fast shipping....they have gained a long term buyer

Michael Porter Wadesboro, NC

Bottom line is the return policy which is available online to the customer makes no mention of return shipping charges being the responsibility of the customer. Bigger concern here though is the lack of senior management response as the multiple emails sent to the "president customer concerns" email box were answered every time by an associate on behalf of the president. Bottom line is this policy is not transparent to the customer and the senior level leadership refuse to acknowledge this fact.

DD outdoors Norcross, GA

They had exactly what I was looking for and it was a very reasonable price. I bought it and it was shipped and delivered within the exact time that was quoted.

Gary Griffith Shelton, CT

This is the worst company that I have ever delt with on the internet. Non existent customer service\support that most convienently is blamed on covid 19. No phone support, no live chat support and apparently no response to 4 emails. Got an email confirmation from midway that my items shipped with a ups tracking number and a link on their email directly to ups. Problem is ups had no record of the shipment. They surely had enough manpower to charge my amex card but not enough to answer the phone, have a live chat or respond to a customer's email requests (4). This company just sucks and will never see another dime from me. Beware anyone who chooses to do business with midway usa.

FM2 Memphis, TN

I have used MidwayUSA once before. Even then their shipping was slow. This time I placed an order with MidwayUSA for 500 rounds of ammo. They shipped it to the wrong state and city (how does that happen?) resulting in my order eventually being returned to MidwayUSA. I had to research what went wrong (something I would expect MidwayUSA to do) and alerted MidwayUSA of their mistake. Instead of MidwayUSA correcting their mistake and redirecting the package in mid-shipment to my address (UPS provides this service) or reshipping my "paid-for" order immediately to my address after MidwayUSA receives the returned package, MidwayUSA told me I had to reorder this product and then they would ship the "reorder" to me. MidwayUSA is now out of stock for this product (as is everyone else now and why I paid more to MidwayUSA to get it) and has no idea when they will have this product in stock again. So how am I suppose to reorder this product from MidwayUSA as instructed? Bottom line, I'm not getting what I ordered and paid for initially. And MidwayUSA claims "Customer Satisfaction is our #1 goal...". What a joke! I would NOT recommend ever using MidwayUSA for purchasing anything online.

lloyd Beauchamp Gainesville, FL

Disappointing shipping department and customer service, loose packed ammo containers with some desiccant tins. Cans were fine, the desiccant tins were fairly destroyed but I didn't know it as they were sealed in an aluminum pouch and I didn't need them immediately. Opened the first one (after 90 days) and the desiccant beads went everywhere, the tin was destroyed, like you took a hammer to it. Midway refused to correct the issue stating I didn't identify the problem within 90 days. May be the policy, but doesn't sit well with me. If you buy from these folks watch your orders carefully. If ordering something even sort of fragile consider having it shipped separately. I'll trade elsewhere in the future. Good luck!

Dean Harris Lindale, TX

I have been trying to leave a negative review about the NRA on MidwayUSAs' website for over a month now and I have had no results. I have tried 4 or 5 times to post this review on MidwayUSAs' website and they seem to be refusing to post it at all. They say that the review will be posted within 3-7 days. There are only 7 negative reviews about the NRA, all older than a year old. I did see that there are much newer positive reviews. The newest one is 3 days old as of now. I guess it's ok to accept the positive reviews, just not the negative ones. Way to go MidwayUSA! I really love your balanced ethics. I guess the reviews are ok as long as YOU agree with them!

Mike St Louis, MO

This company is anti-law enforcement! Customer service representatives are not very smart! I have spent a considerable amount of money here in the past, NEVER AGAIN!!!!!

Rogelio Abueme San Bruno, CA

I live in California and have never had a hard time ordering ammunition online to be shipped to my gun shop for background check, but with Midway USA, they do not allow shipment of ammunition to California at all, period. They will not ship to your ffl in California. Midway USA does not support 2nd amendment movement

Enkidu _ Southlake, TX

There is nothing to like about MidwayUSA. I purchased a "new" 12 gauge Winchester Hybrid from them and when it arrived I noticed a significant amount of rust on the inside of the chamber and barrel. My FFL dealer told me to accept the firearm and then contact MidwayUSA. Midway did not respond to my emails and chats/phones were/have been down for a month. They did respond to my complaint via the Better Business Bureau, however, their response was simply firearm sales are final. MidwayUSA is not just a poorly run company, it is a scam and I would never recommend purchasing anything from them.

Daniel Nicotera Fort Plain, NY

My package was supposed to be here the 16th. Customer service said it would be here the 18th. It's now the 19th and still no package. Called them up and they said if it's not here by the 21st to call them back. This is for a customer I'm fixing a rifle for and I've had to tell them 3 different days for his stuff to be done. Doesn't make me look good at all.

Greg Rorabaugh Kankakee, IL

Horrible Customer Service on Returns....Refused to return/exchange product outside of their 90 day policy. Did anyone tell Midway that there is/was 3 month pandemic that shut the midwest down!!!!! Ordered products that are supposed to fit together in Jan/20. Could not go to range until June, found out then products were not compatible, but ouside their 90 day return policy. Have removed all customer info, cancelled account and telling all shooting community what Crappy Customer Service Larry's People exhibit!!

Ian Hinkle Kansas City, KS

Ordered a 1911 barrel 5 years ago.. 3 weeks after original order date they said it would be found and shipped! My friend ordered for me with my credit card.. 5 years later I'm told I cant get it shipped or refund. Biggest waist of money and time. Horrible business and website. I've spent thousands of dollars and they have lost all of my future business !

Jesse Rice Biloxi, MS

Midway USA has all the reloading and gun cleaning equipment I need. I've always received top quality equipment and service. Thank you Midway USA.

Chris Carlstadt, NJ

Do not use I wish I would have read the reviews before I ordered. I placed an order on December 13 and was given a date of December 19 for delivery. Tracking stopped locating the package after the 16th. It’s now the 24th and I’ve emailed three times and customer service continues to tell me I need to wait until January 1 to file a claim. Are used a company called primary arms to order a replacement and it was delivered three days after I ordered. I would never use midway again

Stewart Parris Flint, TX

This is the worst experience I've had with a company in years Midway is a hick run operation with an outdated customer service department / shipping department. They aren't given the tools are the knowledge to track lost orders. If you complain to a "floor manager" they will tell you that Midway has a million customers and most are happy. Lol Larry P the CEO is a blowhard and an absentee leader.

Phil R Northfield, OH

Great Customer Service, extremely fast Shipping and products I ordered 8 in all were excellent. It doesn’t get much better than that.

Roy L. Oakland, TN

Midwayusa's customer service is close to being rude. When you have a problem, and request actual help, they're of little to no help at all. They ship with UPS, the worst shipping company in the world-avoid UPS at all times. When you try to track a package, and request Midways help, it is denied-the problem with UPS must be your fault, as their shipper just doesn't make mistakes, furthermore; they do not have an account rep for their UPS business! If they do, they do not know the phone number! The amount of trouble I've gone through just to purchase a rifle sling is crazy.

Justin Freeman

A product is only as good as its service,. Buy giving the worst service your product simply become the worst. They sent extra expensive products and billed me for them, that I did not order, when I told midway I was going reverse the charges through the bank they told me that they would ban me from shopping with them. Challenge excepted, they are not worthy of my business. I have to send the items back. When they receive them they will refund me, that can take up to a month depending on them and the bank

JC Sheboygan, WI

I ordered a Kryptek vest and paid for expedited shipping through Amazon Prime. Item was delivered 4 days later. I ended up purchasing the vest locally and returned the vest as it did not show up for the trip it was bought for. When I returned the vest they withheld $17.54. I paid $9.95 for the expedited shipping alone. Shady business practices and after numerous emails t trying for resolution they simply no longer respond. Buyer beware. Worst customer service I have experienced in quite some time. I'll never buy from them again.

Bobby Bertucci Galena, IL

Good customer service. Had a problem that was resolved.

shane somerton Cincinnati, OH

Worst company I've ever ordered from. Seriously longest order processing and shipping times I've ever seen. Spend your money elsewhere, I know I sure will. Had to cancel my order after taking 4 days to process then told it wouldn't ship for another 10 days

Andrew Lawrence Stacy, MN

They send promotional emails with discounts when you add the item to your cart it is the discounted price when you check out it jacks the price up and the discount disappears this is a load of crap from a company that apparent doesn't like repeat business

Ronny Brown Addison, TX

Have ordered ammo from them several times but had to stop because there were so many misfires and sqibbs. Ammo isn't a bargain if it doesn't work right. Customer service won't help you with bad ammo. You are stuck with it.

brady bradord North Little Rock, AR

They delivered my order to the wring address and refused to resend the order even at my cost!! Their dishonest and I will never use them again!! Beware!!

Matthew Markworth

I've used Midway USA for years and they aways have good prices and ship products very quickly.

Nels swenson Cookeville, TN

They sent me the wrong ammo bad info no refund or help will not use midway again beware