Cheaper Than Dirt Logo

Cheaper Than Dirt

Is This Your Business?

1.7

Cheaper Than Dirt was started in 1993 with the idea of becoming America's "ultimate online resource" for all things shooting and outdoor activities.

With over 150,000 products in their sporting goods inventory, Cheaper Than Dirt sells outdoor products ranging from firearms to crossbows, fishing poles to hunting knives, military surplus, survival gear, and bug-out-bags, Cheaper Than Dirt seems to have it all.

GrabAGun Logo
#2 GrabAGun chevron_right
Brownells Logo
#3 Brownells chevron_right
1.4

The Good

• Affordable Pricing
  • Large Selection of Products
  • Customer Service
  • Return Policy
  • Shipping
  • FFL Dealer Location Tool
  • Knowledge Center

Affordable Pricing

The main benefit of Cheaper Than Dirt resides in their company name, it's cheap.

For those that are looking for guns at a lower price for themselves and gifts for others can most likely find them on their online retail store.

Cheaper Than Dirt is also well known for their lower-priced ammo. In fact, they sell boxes of certain types of ammo for less than $5.

In general, customers can expect to find the ammunition rounds they need for a decent price. Cheaper Than Dirt also promotes online sales and deals on a regular basis.

Large Selection of Products

Cheaper Than Dirt offers a wide selection of products on its website including firearms, ammunition, parts and accessories, gun care products, hunting gear, camping supplies, range and shooting sports gear, survival gear, tactical gear, and several other items tailored to the average outdoor enthusiast.

The amount of options available for sale provides a level of convenience for customers as it allows them to buy everything they need in one place.

Customers can also purchase their firearm, ammo, and their gun accessories all on Cheaper Than Dirt's retail store website.

The online retailer has years of note-worthy customer service experience.

According to their website, Cheaper Than Dirt offers a guarantee that states they use the "latest encryption technology" to keep customers' personal information secure. This fraud protection guarantee includes customer names, addresses, and credit card information.

In regards to customer service, the company does offer a good amount of shipping information on their site.

Return Policy

Cheaper Than Dirt has a flexible 90-day return policy for all bought items. The company's 90-day return time frame is significantly longer than what some other companies in the guns and ammo industry offer.

Shipping

Cheaper Than Dirt strives to ship each order on the same day as it was made.

Some orders may take longer to ship based on when the item purchase was made, what item was purchased, and what state the item is being shipped to.

Cheaper Than Dirt will charge $9.95 for standard shipping on all non-firearm purchases. All shipping on firearms is free and, according to their website, firearms "typically ship within 1 to 2 business days" to an FFL dealer.

All ordered items come with a tracking number to make sure customers know where their items are in the shipping process.

FFL Dealer Location Tool

The company has a helpful FFL dealer locator tool on its website. This tool is filtered by states and then filtered by cities.

Customers can easily locate which FFL dealer is near them and can choose to receive their purchased firearm at that location. Cheaper Than Dirt also offers a phone number for each FFL dealer listed on its website.

Knowledge Center

Cheaper Than Dirt offers an online knowledge center that customers can take advantage of.

This knowledge center includes information about purchasing a gun online (covers what they require, what customers need to do before placing an order, and more), ammunition information, scope information, AR-15 information, etc. This knowledge center is designed for those who are planning to buy a firearm for the first time.

The Bad

• Limited Selection of Firearms
  • No Specialty Firearms
  • No Comparison Tool

Limited Selection of Firearms

Since Cheaper Than Dirt has more than just firearms and ammunition inventory.

Potential hunters and shooters may be drawn away from placing an order with Cheaper Than Dirt since they do not commit all resources to their firearms and ammunition departments.

Their selection of firearms and ammunition for sale is not as wide as other arms dealers because of their variance in items.

No Specialty Firearms

Cheaper Than Dirt does not carry specialty firearms like left-handed guns or muzzleloaders, and they only feature one firearm specifically designed for younger users.

Despite their flexible return policy, Cheaper Than Dirt does charge one of the most expensive restocking fees in the business at 25 percent.

No Comparison Tool

The search options that Cheaper Than Dirt has are very specific, but they are confusing, and unless the customer knows exactly what they want to buy/ what they are looking for, it is difficult to maneuver the company's website and see all types of firearms and munitions that are available.

Additionally, it's important to note that the store does not have a comparison tool for customers to use.

The Bottom Line

Cheaper Than Dirt does have a decent price range, offers a wide selection of products for the average firearm and outdoor enthusiast including shooting sports items as well as hunting products.

The company also has reliable customer support, provides a great 90-day order return policy, offers fast shipping, has a helpful FFL dealer locator tool, and provides a knowledge center for first-time firearm buyers.

Unfortunately, their variety in the selection of ammunition and firearms suffer, as well as their dedication to those two departments because they also focus on other outdoor activities such as archery and backpacking.

Overall, they have low-cost products, but there are other areas where their business lacks.

For those looking to spend less money on ammo, guns, parts, and accessories, this is a good online retailer to use. For those conducting research or looking to compare different brands or manufacturers, you may want to read Cheaper Than Dirt customer reviews or look elsewhere.

View Best Guns and Ammo Stores

2.0

Clays Shooter in FL Leesburg, FL

My purchase of a shotgun last week from Cheaper Than Dirt went smooth as silk. I placed my order for a Tristar 20 gauge semi-auto shotgun on Monday morning and picked the gun up from my FFL dealer here in Florida on Friday afternoon. Only 4 days from order until delivery to my dealer is outstanding. CTD provided me with a tracking number so I could track the gun and know where it was at any time. The transaction was smooth and the price was the lowest I could find anywhere. The gun was packed well and arrived without any damage. I haven't had a chance to shoot the gun yet, but I plan to do so tomorrow. I'm totally pleased with the transaction.

Daniel Everett, WA

I was a little concerned about buying from them after seeing all the negative reviews, but my concerns were unfounded. When I bought 6 magazines and a pistol holster from them a few days ago, they shipped within 10 days at the lowest cost shipping level! When I got my stuff, I checked the shotgun mags I bought to see if they were compatible with my gun, since I was not sure they would when I bought them. Sadly they were not compatible, but that was my fault not theirs. I procrastinated asking for a refund for 2 weeks before contacting them. When I tried to contact by email, it was a little confusing when they did not give me a confirmation of receiving it, so I went onto live chat to see what the problem was. Within 5 seconds I had somebody online checking out the problem, and they referred me to the phone line, after trying to figure out what the problem was and not succeeding. When I called, there was no hold time, and I was told that they had immediately refunded me! I just hadn't received the email yet. Sure enough, when I checked I found the refund response in my inbox. Overall: Quick shipping, Low Low prices, and great customer service and return policy.

Doug Seagrove, NC

This past Saturday I ordered a weapon, even though I had read some less than positive reviews online. They immediately sent me an email to verify my order. On Monday I called them to see when it would ship. Based on info I submitted in my order, they answered the phone with " Hello Mr. Owen, Thank you for being a customer. What can I help you with today? I asked when my weapon would ship and was told that it had been packaged that day and would arrive at my FFL dealer by way of two-day air. After reading several reviews I've come to the assumption that some of these reviews are from competitors trying to sully the name of an otherwise professional operation. I run a business myself and I was more than impressed with their methodology and professionalism. Several of my friends have made purchases there and received the kind of service I have described. I give them 5 stars and would not hesitate to make other purchases and refer them to friends. They were everything I'd expect from a professional company!

Charlie M Scottsdale, AZ

Cheaper than dirt is taking advantage of the hardworking American citizen more than any other company out there. Compared their prices and see for yourself. I have bought thousands of dollars of products from cheaper than dirt and now that America's in trouble There taken completed vantage of us. That is wrong in my book and when prices do come back down I will still remember that who took advantage of the American people. Just like the people charging $10 a pack of toilet paper cheaper than dirt is doing the same thing. I remember this and keep passing the word on. There too many other good place There taken completed vantage of us. That is wrong in my book and when prices do come back down I will still remember that who took advantage of the American people. Just like the people charging $10 a pack of toilet paper cheaper than dirt is doing the same thing. I remember this and keep passing the word on. There too many other good places out there Deserve our Hard earn money and give us the same quality product at an average price. Hard earn money and give us the same quality product at an Average price. I understand prices have gone up lately. But I just price compared them with 4 other websites and to Box stores and they are 2 to 4 times the amount everyone else is charging.And they still have nothing in stock to ship at the moment. This company is bad for the American people. And I hope others realise this also

Dadn8 Oklahoma City, OK

I ordered 200 rnds of 7.62x.39. The website said the delivery times could be up to 2 weeks instead or 5 days because of high orders during Covid 19. They got my order to me in less than 2 weeks in plain brown paper parcels. I’m very happy with the delivery tracking and the product.

Robert Potts Canton, OH

I had read some bad reviews but they had a great price on an item I was looking for so I gave them a try. My experience could not have gone better. Their chat line answered all questions and the order was shipped within a day. Their communication was excellent and my order was received within two days

Joey Lehigh Acres, FL

This will be my third purchase i have recieved from cheaper then dirt i am beyond happy and satisfied with them. I will be shopping with cheaper then dirt again in the near future

benjamin plazek Pittsburgh, PA

Are you guys serious? Wolf military classic ammo and tulammo 9mm is around $ 16-20 a box everywhere else and you are charging $40 A BOX? Sorry, you pay $40 a box for hollowpoint defensive ammo, not cheap crappy steel cased russian ammo. You should be ashamed of yourselves. This price gouging is ridiculous and you know it. Greedy greedy greedy. I will never be buying from you again and telling Everyone I know to do the same. Shame on you for taking advantage of everyone during this shortage

138joy Eatonton, GA

Ordered 10 boxes of shotgun shells 5 boxes # 6 and 5 boxes #9 buck ...buckshot not sent .... Ordered 10 boxes of shotgun shells , they sent 5 boxes , did not acknowledge the shortage and charged credit card for full order , did not mark invoice as backordered, when we called about the short order , it took them 5 days to respond by email , and then they tried to imply that the shells had been stolen by UPS enroute to our house , when we assured them the box had not been tampered with, they refused to continue the discussion , the shells were never packed in the box to be shipped, either an employee stole the shells or they were out of stock and just refused to do the right thing by refunding difference or backordering the shells , they refused to make it right , we had to file a dispute with credit card co in order to get reimbursed , these people cant be trusted to do the right thing , i would never buy from them again and will warn every one that i know ,not to do business with these people . THEY ARE DIRTY & NOT CHEAP ...prices are not even competitive there name is a joke in its self ...

Ohnest Man

For 9 years I had shopped with Cheaper than Dirt but in the last 3 their service and common courtesy has sunk to new lows. They still maintain good pricing on items but they developed a bad habit of bait and switch or changing your orders for you after you have an order. Just recently (April of 2017) I placed an order with them and a day later just before the end of normal working hours I receive an email that they have removed an item from my order. To clarify, the merchant who had already accepted an order and already sent an invoice agreement arbitrarily decided to change the order without asking right before shipping but after charging my credit card for the cost of the full order including the removed item. needless to say I was pissed and went straight to customer service whom gave me the runaround and hid behind their "as an entity we can do what we want" policy. I will never do business with cheaper than dirt again. Its called a bait and switch, thats a crime!

Ian Juul Phoenix, AZ

From Cheaper than Dirt on-line I purchased 500 rounds of Armscor Cartridge Inc .223 Remington 62 g rounds and I had 2 primer blow-outs after shooting 38 rounds. I left a Review for Armscor and Cheaper than Dirt won't publish it, nor will they refund me on the balance of the unused rounds. I was left to engage Armscor and they won't refund me either. I am totally shocked to firstly experience Primer blow-outs (never mind 2 from 38 rounds), struggle with issues that blow-outs cause and obviously there is risk when rounds are jamming and not feeding and casings are jammed in the barrel. Add to that metal fragments in your lower receiver and potential damages to your bolt carrier. The product is crap and so is the service. You can see my Review on Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCdUjMOPPTE

Lance Williams Tifton, GA

Shipping is why I chose other in the category for my review. I basically picked out 3 (20 round) boxes of ammo (223), a 6 oz one point bungee sling, a 3 oz mag coupler, and 13 oz stock with pistol grip combo. My total was around $174 and shipping was a whopping $47. I went live chat and explained that I had my own ups account and would like to use it bcuz I knew this shipping was inflated by at least 60-70%. I was told no way. So I told them what I knew as a business owner. That if my shipping was 70% lower than theirs and they ship 1000 times more items than I do that their shipping prices were only there to enhance the margins on their products which are supposedly "cheaper than dirt". Don't be fooled by this. If you use the company, order one box of ammo at a "decent" price and see what the shipping rate is if u don't believe my review. Total rip off. And I have the online chat via email to prove my point if anyone is skeptical.

Mark Strasburg, CO

I used to use CTD quite a lot until their shipping prices went through the roof for some reason. The last few times I tried to order items from them the shipping costs were more than the cost of the items. I went to Midway and ordered the same things for a third of the shipping that CTD wanted. Their warehouse system is inefficient as far as I'm concerned.

brian bolon Boise, ID

people can buy the items or firearms out from under you. So if you place an order for a firearm thats in stock they can choose to sell it to another. That happened to me I purchased one on a friday then while i was at work monday morning they sent another email saying they need a copy of my drivers license, so i came in during lunch and photo copy my license and i got a email saying they were out of the rifle. I inquired as to why they pulled the money they said i was too slow to send them a drivers pic. Funny id say an hour and a half for being a working man is pretty damn good. So i wouldnt go thru them if you dont want to be waiting for you purchase and then refund over and over again.

falonw Michigan City, IN

Purchased a 9mm handgun and had it shipped to my ffl dealer, where they informed me they could and would not transfer the gun to me because it had bad tracing. After contacting ctd several times i finally was told i was being refunded. Come to find out they took a restocking fee out of it. So i contact them again where they tell me its a standard restocking fee. When i asked why i should pay to restock a defective gun, i was then told its because i was trying to do an illegal straw purchase and thats why they had the right to charge a restocking fee. They send me junk and charge me for it, then say its my fault because i was doing something illegal. Even though that was not the case, and they have no proof otherwise. Do your self a favor and avoid cheaper than dirt.

Customer from IL Sun Prairie, WI

I purchased product and my credit card was charged 3 days later. Was told on day 4 it would ship that day. Was told on day 5 it was pulled and packed but hadn't shipped. Was told on day 6 it had been on hold and would be shipping in about 1-3 days but no actual date. Asked them to cancel the order and they said they could not because it was in process. Have yet to receive my product or a refund so I back charged my credit card.

Stephen Edwards Hayward, WI

You're a complete fool to do any business with this lousy outfit, and any gun magazine which accepts advertising dollars from them should be boycotted out of hand! The ammo prices they are charging is evidence of spectacular gouging, their customer service easily a scam, think Hk & Colt looking like Saint's in comparison! They are so bad, so obviously crooked, I make it a point to go out of my way at every opportunity to hit them right back! Don't be stupid, spend your money elsewhere....

KZ6090 Federal Way, WA

Took about a month to get the items I ordered. Sent the wrong stuff. Customer service was deceptive throughout the process. Charged additional money to my account without telling me. Customer service's response: Sorry for the inconvenience. Hope you have a better day! I've read that these folks are now leftists. The attitude and lack of accountability I recieved from them would seem to confirm this. Stay away! There exists too many other more affordable sources for parts, ammo, and firearms.

Kevin La Crescent, MN

Just bought some ammo, and all of a sudden am getting emails about outdoor items in my inbox on a daily basis now. I read their privacy policy and they state they share your info with 3rd party vendors. THEY SELL YOUR INFO. They may be cheaper than dirt, but they are not the cheapest vendor of outdoor goods, shop around.

Craig Garrison Tucson, AZ

They labeled a POF trigger wrong , so instead of receiving a 4 1/2 lb 2 stage efp trigger , i received a 4 lb 2 stage straight trigger , i wrote a bad review on their website and I checked 2 weeks later and of course my bad review was not their ,I had to use the trigger for a competition so I can't return it and they didn't even offer a discount on my next order , stay away from this website!!!!!!!

Todd Lebanon, OR

USE MIDWAY OR BROWNELL they have actually customer service that services paying customers. This place will screw you. They delivered my product to the wrong city now I have to wait for UPS to locate the package they left on some persons door in another city then they mail it back to Cheaper than dirt rather than delivering to me then I wait for cheaper than dirt to mail it back to me

Joshua Lewis Kent, WA

I requested a return Monday morning after making a purchase Sunday night. They responded 10 hours later saying it was already shipped and no return was possible. I got an update the following day from ups, I have an account with them, they informed me that a label had been created in my name. So over 24 hours after they told me it had already shipped they printed the label to ship it. So they just lied to me. Shame on you cheaper than dirt!

Kyle

Tried to order a few 9 round mags for a 9mm 1911. The order was approved, a day later Cheap turds cancelled the order stating that due to legal reasons they could not ship to CT. CT has a 10 rnd cap law. I ordered 9 rnd mags. I called them to explain and they told me, and I quote "As a company, they choose not to ship to CT" Even though there is no law being broken or otherwise in question, this anti-American, socialist company hinders the second amendment. I'll be happy when this anti American company falls flat.

Carl Chester, VA

I emailed these people three times within a three week period, trying to resolve an order. You would think an acknowledgement of the email would have been hasty. No. It wasn't. It's been almost 30 days now, and still NO reply from them. Afterall, I do have a 90 day, original packing, not opened policy, right? NEVER ordering from here again EVER. They are NOT cheaper than anyone else. Shop around or buy local. Save yourself some cash!

Vern Mann Mesa, AZ

Cheaperthendirt is a low priced co. for firearms etc but they do NOT send Emails with shipping info or tracking #'s, so for me this is NOT a reliable co. I will deal with again. Hopefully I get my order this time as I have NO way to track it??

Not your dummy Cape Coral, FL

My wife bought. 338 rounds for my birthday they sent me the wrong ones now they wont take them back. 338 rounds cost more than 50 cal iam eating 100 rounds I spent $34000 on guns ammo and accessories last year and on my way to do more this year but this company wont see any of it Pha,Q

Tom North Port, FL

Sarah P. was the worst customer service I have every came across. Cancelled my order because of typo and held up my payment for days. Fixed the typo and reordered. Cancelled again as claimed my phone number wasn’t mine and wouldn’t call to verify it was correct. Tied up another payment. Terrible!

Scott Pettingill Farmington, UT

I ordered 1k brass bullet with steel case .223 bullets from them but got steel on steel I paid more for brass bullets and the add shows brass bullets, they won't do anything about the order, I bought 4k bullets from them in the last 30 days among other things, now my sales will go somewhere else.

Charlie Crowe Aurora, CO

They cancelled my order of a .308 rifle with no mags and said that Colorado was a restricted state and couldn't ship to that state. Not true only thing restricted is high capacity magazines. Called customer service and they refused to help me or give me any clarification. Also won't sell to a ffl dealer either. Makes no sense.

Tony Giorgianni Chandler, AZ

I ordered the wrong item online so I tried calling I was on hold for 4 hours and nobody ever picked up I emailed them nobody ever responded do not buy anything from these people What a bunch of scumbags long

Jesse Rice Biloxi, MS

Cheaper Than Dirt has the lowest prices on shotgun ammo and 30-06 rounds bar non.

Mr. Cardenas Cody, WY

They need to get rid of there person on the front line answering the phones. She’s very condescending with an attitude. She needs people skills. Will not buy in the future from this company because of her.

Dis Appoint Ed Macon, GA

Company does not respond to complaints. Merchandise is literally not what you order. What you get is the same type product and not what is show. Will not answer complaints after passing them off to a 'supervisor'

Tory Indiana, PA

Price gouging during a global pandemic. Terrible customer service that refuses to work with you. Unacceptably long processing time, 3 weeks at least.

Joseph M Guinn Redford, MI

Bought 2 magazines 1 came broken rite out of the box no number to call 1 st order was my last order totally unexceptable

marty magner Largo, FL

got what I ordered quickly. price was good.

aj Merrimack, NH

Terrible customer service, hard to cancel an order prior to shipping. They do not stand up to their "100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE"

Ashley Pleasant Grove, UT

I love shopping at Cheaper Than Dirt because of their amazingly low prices.

Mi ke San Diego, CA

Don't buy from this place, they are dirt!! They mark up their prices 300%. The company is garage.

Marc Albuquerque, NM

Add 2-3 business days to the shipping you PAID for due to "current events. "

Jeff Martin Layton, UT

Not impressed when compared to Sinclair, Brownells. and Gallensons.