Harry & David Logo

5.4

LAST UPDATED: October 14th, 2021
Harry and David is a company that is over one hundred years old, a family-centered business with origins in the fruit and food gifts sector. The business was founded in 1914. We found that Harry and David also produce much of the fruit that they include in their gift baskets. With over 8,000 employees, we found that Harry and David was one of the largest providers of fruit and gift baskets in the industry. In addition to its web business, there are many regional retailers that provide Harry and David products and gifts.

The Good

• Grow their fruit
  • Free shipping options
  • Great satisfaction guarantee
We liked that Harry and David grow the fruit that they include in their gift baskets. They also have a special emphasis in being a green business. Over 90 acres of their pear growing operations are Royal Riviera certified pear orchards. We also like the fact that many of their gift baskets have free shipping options. Another exciting aspect of Harry and David's product and services is their "strongest guarantee in the industry." Harry and David guarantees that gift recipients will be delighted or the appropriate refund or substitution will be made. Sometimes, weather factors may make it necessary for a substitute to be made, and Harry and David provide a fruit-growing calendar to help customers make the best gift basket selection. We also liked the fact that Harry and David was one of the companies reviewed that lets customers make payments via PayPal.

The Bad

• Not customizable
  • Wine shipments may have issues
We found that Harry and David had some great products and services, but they all include food options. There are also not a lot of options for customizing a gift for a person. Even though there are flower and bouquets available, customers cannot other gifts. Also, we found that, depending upon the region; it may be difficult to ship wine and spirits due to liquor laws.

The Bottom Line

We would recommend Harry and David for food and flower gifts. We found that their customer satisfaction was formidable and that there were a lot of options to choose from, including cakes, flowers, wreaths, and other things that are grown on Harry and David's orchards and farms. We do, however, emphasize, that the gift baskets available only include food and items grown by Harry and David.

2.1

Toni Montuori

I’ve used this gift service many times and can attest that the cost equals the premium quality. The fruit is beautiful and the monthly gift plan is awesome.

Rhona Leffler Olney, MD

Items in catalog are as they appear! Fruits are top quality; love the chocolate covered cherries, blueberries and apricots. When giving a gift basket, you can be assured the recipient will like a Harry and David basket.

Ryan Longmont, CO

I just sent my Mom a gourmet meat and cheese basket from Harry and David. I ended up sending it to her work at the last minute and had the wrong zip code in the address when I submitted it. I didn't realize the error until it had already been 2 days. I emailed the company and even though it was my mistake they prepared another basket right away and got it in route for delivery to the correct address. They even said if she ends up getting 2 baskets that they hope she enjoys them with their warmest birthday wished. How cool is that?! My Mom did end up getting both baskets and having lots to share with her co-workers. She even said that both delivery drivers offered her a happy birthday.

Betty Morris Little Rock, AR

Have had nothing but good experience in dealing with Harry & David’s...Love the times I have been able to shop at one of their stores, good sales and new items... Fruit of the month is one of my favorites, even when there is a glitch as recently happened with my Strawberries (doesn’t matter who’s fault, whether packer, shipper etc) H&D quickly replaced. Which is my favorite? Royal Reviera Pears, Bing Cherries, Strawberries can’t decide..

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Harry & David always provide the highest class in gift basket assortments. They are high end and high quality. I have ordered many sets in the past, each one better than the last. All the ordering and service components are perfect, no flaws, no delays. Great gift ideas from Harry & David - always!

Jamie Neider Kaysville, UT

I haven't purchased Harry & David gift baskets myself, but have been gifted them a few times. I have always been very happy with the quality of the fruit in the boxes.

Kristin Pleasant Grove, UT

I have use this company at Christmas time to send fruit baskets to my extended family. The fruit is always perfectly ripe and is delicious I highly recommend this company.

Shante Reeder Ogden, UT

If you want to impress people with your gift giving, look no further! These are a go to for us during the holidays! Gourmet, unique, and amazing!