Harry & David Logo

5.4

LAST UPDATED: August 12th, 2021
Harry and David is a company that is over one hundred years old, a family-centered business with origins in the fruit and food gifts sector. The business was founded in 1914. We found that Harry and David also produce much of the fruit that they include in their gift baskets. With over 8,000 employees, we found that Harry and David was one of the largest providers of fruit and gift baskets in the industry. In addition to its web business, there are many regional retailers that provide Harry and David products and gifts.

The Good

• Grow their fruit
  • Free shipping options
  • Great satisfaction guarantee
We liked that Harry and David grow the fruit that they include in their gift baskets. They also have a special emphasis in being a green business. Over 90 acres of their pear growing operations are Royal Riviera certified pear orchards. We also like the fact that many of their gift baskets have free shipping options. Another exciting aspect of Harry and David's product and services is their "strongest guarantee in the industry." Harry and David guarantees that gift recipients will be delighted or the appropriate refund or substitution will be made. Sometimes, weather factors may make it necessary for a substitute to be made, and Harry and David provide a fruit-growing calendar to help customers make the best gift basket selection. We also liked the fact that Harry and David was one of the companies reviewed that lets customers make payments via PayPal.

The Bad

• Not customizable
  • Wine shipments may have issues
We found that Harry and David had some great products and services, but they all include food options. There are also not a lot of options for customizing a gift for a person. Even though there are flower and bouquets available, customers cannot other gifts. Also, we found that, depending upon the region; it may be difficult to ship wine and spirits due to liquor laws.

The Bottom Line

We would recommend Harry and David for food and flower gifts. We found that their customer satisfaction was formidable and that there were a lot of options to choose from, including cakes, flowers, wreaths, and other things that are grown on Harry and David's orchards and farms. We do, however, emphasize, that the gift baskets available only include food and items grown by Harry and David.

2.1

Toni Montuori

I’ve used this gift service many times and can attest that the cost equals the premium quality. The fruit is beautiful and the monthly gift plan is awesome.

Tonya Salinas, CA

Terrible company and lies about… Terrible company and lies about delivery dates. Promised 2 day on a fresh food basket. Then changed to 5 days. Only to find out it wasn’t even shipped but they billed my cc over $200. I will never shop here again. Stay clear of false sales. They wanted to push an order out to 9 days for a fresh food basket in the mail.

Rhona Leffler Olney, MD

Items in catalog are as they appear! Fruits are top quality; love the chocolate covered cherries, blueberries and apricots. When giving a gift basket, you can be assured the recipient will like a Harry and David basket.

Ryan Longmont, CO

I just sent my Mom a gourmet meat and cheese basket from Harry and David. I ended up sending it to her work at the last minute and had the wrong zip code in the address when I submitted it. I didn't realize the error until it had already been 2 days. I emailed the company and even though it was my mistake they prepared another basket right away and got it in route for delivery to the correct address. They even said if she ends up getting 2 baskets that they hope she enjoys them with their warmest birthday wished. How cool is that?! My Mom did end up getting both baskets and having lots to share with her co-workers. She even said that both delivery drivers offered her a happy birthday.

Kat Newton Center, MA

The Vegetable Lasagna that I received as part of a Gift Basket from Harry & David was inedible. It consisted of tough chunks of raw eggplant and a few noodles in a watery tomato sauce topped with a salty white layer similar to spray foam. No real cheese. All this at the "discounted" price of $49.95! This was the worst prepared food anyone in my family had ever had.

Betty Morris Little Rock, AR

Have had nothing but good experience in dealing with Harry & David’s...Love the times I have been able to shop at one of their stores, good sales and new items... Fruit of the month is one of my favorites, even when there is a glitch as recently happened with my Strawberries (doesn’t matter who’s fault, whether packer, shipper etc) H&D quickly replaced. Which is my favorite? Royal Reviera Pears, Bing Cherries, Strawberries can’t decide..

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Harry & David always provide the highest class in gift basket assortments. They are high end and high quality. I have ordered many sets in the past, each one better than the last. All the ordering and service components are perfect, no flaws, no delays. Great gift ideas from Harry & David - always!

Matthew Driggs Salt Lake City, UT

I have never ordered from Harry and David but I have received over 20 product from them that other companies have sent me as a thank you or as a gift, hoping to get my business. Overall I have liked getting the gift baskets, but quite honestly, they look good but seem small when you really think about what you are getting. A huge gift basket looks impressive and so the immediate feeling is good, but the actual value (what you actually get) isn't that great.

Bonita Kasper West Palm Beach, FL

Last year I ordered a prime rib for my mother for Xmas. Everyone raved about it's flavor and tenderness so this year I ordered the full Prime Rib Feast for my son and his family for Xmas. The reviews were not spectacular. The rib roast was reported to have great flavor, but it was unusually fatty on one side of the roast. They could only eat half the roast. The sides were another story. Albeit they looked great in the photos, the reality was different. Each side came in a plastic bag which the recipient had to assemble and cook. Not a big deal except one would think for the price (Over $245.00 w/shipping) that each side would come pre-made and in an oven ready container...just heat and eat. Even Omaha Steaks (their meat sucks) sends sides ready to heat and eat including desserts (which are pretty good). My son sent me pictures of everything. Quite disappointing considering the price and the expectation of quality of Harry and David products in the past. Lesson learned. I won't be ordering this from H&D ever again.

Andrew Frits Springdale, AR

I purchased a Christmas dinner on 12/14/2020. The web site said in stock and deliverable before Christmas. On 12/20/2020, I checked the web site on my order. It said “Confirmed” and would be delivered by FedEx on “12/24/2020”. I got a call from Harry and David on 12/23/2020 saying some items were not available. The agent then tried to make a package for me but the vegetables were not available. The meat was available. Her computer then locked up. After 40 minutes, she had to hang up. Then another agent called me to tell me my order could not be processed anyway because FedEx had already picked up the last Christmas shipments but I could have “something” shipped after Christmas. This left my son with no Christmas dinner. Do not do business with Harry and David. A bad company.

Rasheed burton Severn, MD

It's crazy to see just how many other people are dealing with my same issues with this company. I highly suggest anyone who is planning to shop here READ the reviews first. I ordered "thank you" packages for other people almost two months ago. After three weeks, I checked the tracking and saw they still weren't shipped. This worried me so I reached out to the customer service team who then advised me there was a delay with my package so they would refund my shipping fee as well as have the packages shipped as soon as possible. Another week went by and I still hadn't received my refund nor were there any changes with my tracking status. A few days later, and to my surprise I received an additional charge from Harry & David on my account for the same order I paid for a month earlier. Again, I was very concerned so I reached back out to customer service who told me this was an Executive issue and they would have to transfer me. After waiting for almost an hour, I finally spoke with someone from the "exec" team; they told me they would look into this issue and give me a call. Here it is another few weeks later and I still have not heard anything from anyone at this company. I have made several calls back to the customer service team, but I am still getting the same runaround. It is absolutely ridiculous. I have asked several times for my full refunds as well as them to delete my full card information from their system so I won't be charged anymore. I am seconds away from filing a civil suit, but honestly I don't even know if it would be worth the money. To ANYONE who will listen, I urge you not to order from this company. The customer service is utterly useless and it seems once they have your card information, they're likely to do whatever they please with it, even without authorization from the user. This experience has deterred me from online shopping. I am so hesitant and afraid of companies having access to my personal banking account. And what makes it even worse is that the people who I ordered the gifts for, never received them :-(

Eileen Widerman Fernandina Beach, FL

I have been sending Harry and David for years--especially the pears. So I was delighted when my daughter sent me a gift box. It contained one big pear and 3 or 4 smaller ones plus cheese, crackers, apples, and jam. It was beautiful. But, the pears never ripened. The big pear was hard as a rock three weeks later. The little ones got somewhat soft, but were dry and tasteless. I called to complain, since my daughter really splurged. She doesn't have money to waste. Harry and David were very nice and sent me a box containing 7 small pears. The waiting game began again. They are still not ripe, and it's been weeks!! The apple was fine, but I can get lovely apples at the supermarket. Ditto for the cheese. I did like the jam, and I was pleased some of what they sent was organic. I will not be shopping at Harry and David in the future.

MassDan Douglas, MA

Been using their service for many years, never again. Placed over $600 in orders for Christmas, had two small problems and spent over five hours trying to contact their customer service department. When I finally got someone on the phone I was disconnected, then again and again. So, tried chat, unless and got disconnected again. OK, sent emails, also useless, they couldn't find all my orders even after I gave them the order numbers and my customer number. Bottom line, Harry and Dave now sucks, totally. Merry Christmas!

Entertainment Account Venice, FL

I received a gift basket containing items which were totally subpar. This was an expensive gift and was so pathetic that it provided absolutely no value. I sent the company an email explaining that I was just satisfied and they offered to send me six free pairs. I asked them if I could return the unused gift basket to them because I was so dissatisfied with it. I have not heard back

Michelle Rios Ogden, UT

I have been on the receiving end of a wonderful Harry & David gift basket. It was fun to open each unique box to find a tasty treasure inside. We enjoyed sharing our treats with our friends during the holidays. Thank you!

Jamie Neider Kaysville, UT

I haven't purchased Harry & David gift baskets myself, but have been gifted them a few times. I have always been very happy with the quality of the fruit in the boxes.

Ragen B. Sandy, UT

Great pears. I've used their pear baskets as gifts for family and friends out of state. (4 purchases so far) I recently received an email for 20% off and decided to send a basket to a sister. The discount totaled $6. Great! But then they doubled my normal shipping cost to recoup that $6. This equates to NO DISCOUNT AT ALL. Such a shame that a company that ships delicious fruits would leave such a bad taste in my mouth. I'll look for a different option to send as gifts from now on. It's too bad that that did this.

Bill G

Placed an order, had to change the "confirmed" order 3 times as their website is not good and it still doesn't take the change. Call their customer service people and the lady said, "oh I had the same problem and had to come into the office to change my order". Now trying to track the shipment and for two days the order has been processed and is somewhere on a Harry and David truck being driven from Oregon to Kansas City to be given to Fed-Ex in KS for delivery to the final location....REALLY??? How is it I can find out within 30 seconds when my pizza will be delivered, but they cannot even tell me where my order is???!!! The customer service person was very nice, but next time I'm going to order my fruit from Amazon and have it delivered in two days or less, on time to the Birthday recipient and without the frustration of dealing with a company that doesn't even know what the meaning of supply chain is. No stinkin apple or pear is worth this level of time and frustration!

Sarah Raskin West Hartford, CT

Worst company ever. Ordered a new baby basked. Three weeks later they let me know it wasn't available and I had to call to order something else. I did. Three weeks later I get an email saying I need to call to give them my credit card over again because it can't carry over from the first order. I did. Then I started getting daily emails telling me to call them with the same problem. Each time I called they said "oh, yeah, I see it's here, I will be sure your order goes out." Two days later same thing. Then same thing again. Six times. Finally asked for a refund. The baby would be going to college by the time they got the order correct. It was seriously bordering on harassment and always had to be a phone call, no option for an email.

Linda Penngrove, CA

Ordered a basket for My Mother for Mother’s Day. They got the address mixed up. Once realized I called back and straightened it out so my mother would receive the order. Must say the guy helping me was a bit challenged ... it took him the better part if 30 minutes to do this. So I thought we had straightened it out. A week later still no basket delivery . I called them back to find out They had reimbursed me and sent nothing. I asked the friendly gal what she could do for me $$ wise (even on shipping maybe) given the mix up. Without skipping a beat - She said she could do nothing. They have lost a customer for life.... and I have been with them for 15-20 years. Poor customer experience all the way around.

Sarah Yi Ikemire Sacramento, CA

WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER! I spoke with their supervisor who was blatantly talking down to me when I asked if he could help me with a gift card and to also apply the free shipping their website was advertising. He clearly didn't want to help me and said, "you can only use the gift card and not get free shipping" I asked him, why that is and his response was" I'm sorry I can't do that" His tone of voice from the very start was clearly telling me, I hate my job and I don't want to help you. He was so rude. I asked over and over again, that his assistance would be greatly appreciated, but still he was unwilling to help. To the higher ups- you should really think about retraining your employees. Customer care should be#1 PERIOD! YOU LOST A CUSTOMER! IVE BEEN A CUSTOMER FOR A LOONG TIME.

E Fishburne Cary, NC

a minute ago A bit pricey but products are good quality. Biggest concern is the expensive shipping cost. Not only are the costs extremely high, like almost half the price of the purchased item, the delivery time is quite long and not exact.

Laurie Goolsby Wichita, KS

I ordered a gift basket and the pears were rotten. Very embarrassing to have my family receive that. They said they would replace the pears. I have yet to see if the news ones are good. We shall see. I know these pears were not good when they were shipped. Shame on you.

Sheryl Overland Park, KS

I ordered a specific bottle of wine to go along with a gift basket for a senior member of a company that they specifically liked. I received an email confirmation for the gift basket and the wine I selected. The next day I went in to check on the status of the order and noticed two bottles of different types of wine were listed with the gift basket. At NO time was I contacted and asked if a substitution could be made. Specifically know that they Senior member we are shipping to does not like the types of wine that were substituted and was told that nothing could be done they were out of the wine that I had selected from their website and had received an email confirmation on that I was charged for. Customer Service was of not use did not offer any retribution or consideration other than to cancel the order. I will NOT be using Harry & David again. They just burnt the bridge.

Cathy Winter Garden, FL

So incredibly frustrated with customer service. Asked the same question four times and finally asked to speak with a manager and could not be connected...they were on a break, a phone call, etc. Perhaps this was the case because so many people were asking to speak with them instead of the "customer service" representative. Also, the employees were unable to provide an employee ID number. I called three times simply to find out the status of my order and the representative could not understand or answer my questions. Before calling, I tried to acquire the information through my account, I was provided with a phone number...877-322-1200. If you are going to provide a customer service contact number, it would be a much better experience if there was actually customer service. I have ordered H&D for years but will not in the future. There are many other companies out there that offer holiday gift baskets. Sorry that I had to leave a bad review.

Kristin Pleasant Grove, UT

I have use this company at Christmas time to send fruit baskets to my extended family. The fruit is always perfectly ripe and is delicious I highly recommend this company.

kristina Atlanta, GA

This review isn't about the product, it's about service, which is AWFUL. I placed a corporate order and ended up for over 10 hrs on the phone with multiple customer service reps. The issue was simple, the greeting message too long, so I tried to update it. Every time I spoke with the rep, they would advise that it has been fixed, I would receive the confirmation email, which would show only few updated messages. Others, would have message cut of in the middle, or just partially updated. It was a complete nightmare trying to resolve this. There are plenty other companies, that take care of their customers, this was the most frustrating and time wasting experience. I am shocked.

Dissatisfied East Lyme, CT

I ordered from this company around 10Dec and was told that the Honeybells Orange shipment was to be sent in early Jan. around the 10Jan, I checked on the order ( by calling) to find out there was a delay for 28Jan (Nice of them to notify me before). At that time customer service assured me that it would be sent on time. Well lo and behold it is 01Feb and again no message from the company. Again I had to check up and call only for the customer service to tell me that it was delayed and they don't know when. I then wrote an email asking what happened and at that point they tell me that it is delayed until March. I guess it's Buyer Beware nowadays. What happened to good customer service and contracts no broken?

Pam New Holland, PA

I placed an order for delivery by Christmas on 12/14/14. My credit card was charged. I checked on 12/2/014 & it still wasn't shipped. I e mailed them 7 received a reply saying they spoke with & issue resolved. They never called & issue was never resolved. I called & was told I requested delivery for 12/3/14, I never requested that date. I told them I requested before Christmas delivery. They keep changing the delivery date saying I requested it. I checked site on 12/27/14 & the gift never shipped. I e mailed twice & never got a reply. they got my money 12/14/14 & my gift was never sent. I requested to be canceled & my money refunded & that hasn't happened. Do not use this company!!

Michael Greenberg Boynton Beach, FL

5 .....count them 5 calls to customer service because was charged for shipping and was not supposed to. I finally gave up. 2 1/2 hours out of my life plus shipping I will never get back. And fruit has not arrived yet. Based on other review, I should not expect much there either

Shante Reeder Ogden, UT

If you want to impress people with your gift giving, look no further! These are a go to for us during the holidays! Gourmet, unique, and amazing!

Seth Maplewood, NJ

I received a tower of boxes containing mixed nuts. When we opened the "premium Nuts", we were surprised to see what looked like the remnants of premium nuts. They were small and broken into little pieces. If I purchased this myself I would return it. As it was a gift and it's the thought that counts, I will just throw them away. However, I would never purchase this companies product for someone after seeing what it looks like.

Chris Waterford, NY

I have been ordering from H&D for years and am becoming more and more disappointed. I ordered peaches, they came to my door rotten and covered w/mold. H&D was gracious enough to replace w/a basket of apples for me. I recently ordered 2 boxes of Riviera pears, they were so small and 3/4 of them were covered w/black spots. I took the time to peel a couple of them to try and they were totally tasteless. I am VERY, VERY disappointed!!!

Disappointed Lorain, OH

I received a Harry and David gift basket for Christmas. It was not good. The nuts and candy were stall which I threw out. The pears , except one wrapped in tissue ,were covered with dark spots. I felt bad for the person who spent money for a gift for me and my family. Since the company has many positive reviews I felt that somewhere in their system was not working well so I contacted the company by Email. They respond saying that they would send me three pears. No apology. No pears were ever received. They obviously have weak link in their system and they don't plan on changing.

Genevieve Rohan Tollhouse, CA

I have used Harry & David for many Christmases to mail lovely and appreciated fruits, moose munch, etc. This year, I ordered very early in the month, wanting a 12/14 delivery. I entered all the info and received confirmation via email. Now, 12/30, I received a email telling me that the gift was returned. It had been mailed to a old address (about 3 years prior). Then, they sent it again to that same address when it was clearly incorrect. They were polite and easy to ask for a refund. Sorry to say I will not be using them again.

Never again West Yarmouth, MA

Called to order a food basket and cheese cake 141.00 for family who had new baby and were going home that day. The girl assured me that it would be there the next day. We even had a lengthy conversation about her being pregnant. 3 days later, they received the cheesecake (LOL) and the food basket still hasn't gotten there 7 days later. Madder than I can describe!

roger Berlin, NJ

White mold growing on over-ripened pears are not something I'd expect from H & D. They wouldn't replace them since I didn't have an order # due to the fact that it was a gift. I asked them to donate my bad pear replacement to their local food bank. Won't shop there anymore...not because of the moldy pears, but because of the way they handled the problem.

P Rautter Liberty Hill, TX

placed an order, they had a "system issue". did not tell me until the day it was supposed to be delivered and i had to call they to inquire as to why i had no tracking/shipping info. Crappy customer service. won't do business with any companies associated with H and D again.

James Steilacoom, WA

I purchased a sympathy basket for my cousin who lost her child and it never arrived. They had no idea what happened, just said they could send out another one (the memorial had already occurred) or give me a refund. They were cavalier and not at all concerned with what had happened.

Nancy Tuman Santa Monica, CA

Very disappointed. Ordered a pear and cheese basket as a gift and when it arrived the pears were bruised AND MOLDY. The cheese was melted. Spoke to customer service who wouldn’t even give me a discount on my order. They offered me a 20% discount if I would like to make a different order. Why would I make another order of moldy fruit!?

Donna E. Easley, SC

Talked to a sales rep who was hard to understand. She said she was from the Phillipines! Messed up my order and was put on hold forever. They said my order was no longer available after plscing the order a week ago. I canceled my order!

Helios Creed Ventura, CA

Spam, spam, spam and more spam. After ordering a gift basket and selecting the option not to receive additional marketing from them, I am getting spammed to death. 53 spam emails in less then 20 days. Wow. Hey, guess what Harry & David. You have lost a customer for life. Never again will one of my dollars touch your bank account. Job well done.

Keith Gaylord Collierville, TN

The pears are great, but this company has the slowest shipping and the worse customer service I have encountered in years. I will never buy from them again.

Gift Basket buyer Washington, DC

Delivery and customer service issues - delivery of a gift basket was not made on time and calls to customer service were unhelpful, with the first rep directing me to call FedEx myself to track the package.

Thomas Hullinger Pleasant Grove, UT

These are a special gift that is great for any occasion. Highest quality and are always well received.

Ronald Colorado Springs, CO

Ordered fruit., and when it arrived was bruised- all of the pears, not just one. Wrote customer service, and have yet to hear back