MyTrees.com has made the concept of “databases freely given will be freely shared” as their policy. Like other website that are devoted to doing genealogical research MyTrees.com has linked their site to others in order to enable their users to access billions of names. They have been in business for over ten years and pride themselves on being able to manage large genealogical archives.

FamilySearch.org chevron_right
4.8
Ancestry.com chevron_right
4.1
Find a Grave chevron_right

The Good

• Collaboration

MyTrees.com provides a place for genealogists and family historians alike to collaborate and share their resources. Users can discover new family lines through MyTrees.com databank. Other highlights about MyTrees.com include:

• Free newsletter
  • Ability to connect with professional genealogists
  • U.S. and international census records
  • International records from 37 countries
  • Ability to upload a GEDCOM file
  • View, share, download, and print your family tree directly from the website
  • Organize your family index
  • Free genealogy software
  • Free charts and forms
  • $20 per month

The Bad

• Website
  • Media uploads
  • Video tutorials

While MyTrees.com has offers users some positive resources, the website in general is messy and not very organized. When users search the site, they will notice that they do not have features that other sites offer.

One of the biggest downsides of using MyTrees.com is that you cannot upload pictures or other media to make your family tree come to life. There are no message boards or other ways to communicate and connect with other MyTrees.com users, but there is a feature that allows you to connect with professional genealogists.

They do not offer any video tutorials to help users with their site features.

MyTrees.com has hundreds of millions of records, but if you are willing to spend a little more money you can use other sites that have billions of records. Their records are limited compared to other sites.

The Bottom Line

We would not recommend MyTrees.com for doing genealogical research. The simple truth is that your money will be better spent at other websites that offer superior features. MyTrees.com has good intentions, but can not stand up against sites with more resources available. They have been in business for almost 20 years and provide a free newsletter to their users, but overall we suggest looking at our top recommended company to do your genealogy work.

2.0

Elena

April 1st, 2020 , LEW DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have been a donor for a few weeks and then decided to stop. Afterwards, I was contacted by MyTrees' founder, Eleanor S: she offered me £10 in exchange for my honest review. I decided to accept to receive a call from her: I dedicate her my time to provide my feedback on the platform and to offer my ideas on how to improve the company. She thanked me but she never kept her promise to give me the £10. I think that if a person cannot keep up their word, not even for a humble, simple thing, how can they keep their word for the bigger thing? How can I trust that the money they receive is used for the purpose mentioned then? I chased her but she never replied back, not even to say I am not willing to maintain my promise. I am glad I stopped giving my money to a company that does not value their donors nor is trustworthy and accountable for their promises. I invite all of you to donate elsewhere.

Frank Carman

August 26th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They have family names that no one else has. So much is free, like maintaining my own genealogy with photos, etc.

Donna Marie

August 9th, 2016

The site is very confusing and hard to find anything. Not worth the money. Do not answer your emails at all. Wasted my money!! Don't do the same

carol brundage

May 27th, 2016 Lee, MA

A disappointing experience. Nothing makes sense.