MyHeritage.com

MyHeritage.com

Begun in 2005 in Bnei Atarot, Israel, MyHeritage.com is a unique offering to the genealogy research website landscapes. In addition to the international headquarters in Israel, offices are located in Utah and California.

MyHeritage.com has a robust community of users and offers state-of-the art search options, advanced matching, DNA tests, and three subscription plans with prices that meet every budget (ranging from free-$120/annually). Subscription levels are tiered and features are enhanced with upgrades. MyHeritage.com offers a discount for first year subscribers as well as for those who subscribe for multiple years at one time.

The website is intuitive and features a powerful search engine with results loading quickly. Of the records available to research, MyHeritage.com boasts billions of records from which to gather information about your ancestors.

MyHeritage.com offers free family tree software to download as well as a free mobile app to work on your family history wherever the urge strikes. The mobile app is easy to use and our review team did not have problems with crashing or freezing during use.

The Good

• Features

MyHeritage.com offers its members many features including:

• Tiered membership levels offer the ability to expand your membership as your needs increase
  • Discount for multiple year subscriptions
  • Robust community of over 70,000,000 members worldwide
  • Vast collection of timely and educational articles on the company blog
  • User support forums to answer members' technical and research questions
  • State of the art technology: Smart matching, Face recognition, Megadex
  • Free family tree builder software
  • Mobile app available for both Apple and Android

The Bad

• Free plan limitations

MyHeritage.com's free plan limits your ability to search and the size of your family tree. For those just starting out in their genealogical research, this plan works well, but for those with a more comprehensive family tree, this limiting can be a factor. One could quickly outgrow the free option.

The Bottom Line

After researching the options, doing test searches, our review team recommends MyHeritage.com as a solid option for those looking for a genealogy research site. The tools (even limited with the free option) are top-notch and deliver results.

The training available onsite is extensive and the blog offers regular tutorials on timely research topics as well as gives members information about how best to use the features available in their membership plans.

The community forums are active with members answering questions fielded by other members, giving help when and where needed.

26 MyHeritage.com Reviews

1. Select Your Rating:

2. Subject For This Review * (Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Next Step: Verify your email

We have sent a verification email to the following email address:

June 24th, 2017

Almost lost a lot of changes made to the fmailytree, but the helpdesk was very helpfull! They took their time and helped me trough the whole process.

June 21st, 2017 Oakland, NJ

Useless information, no responding to support requests/contact They just give you a percentage of supposedly your ethnicities based on today's modern map. First of all, this does not make much sense, because humans always moved around the world and also, saying broadly you are partially European and partially Balkan - thank you Einsteins, that's nothing new to me. For example, I am 18% Balkan based on their "research"; Balkans is some huge messy mix of so many ethnicities, that this is the same thing as telling me that I am from planet Earth... When I wrote to their support asking to at least provide me with the haplogroup of my DNA or provide me with my DNA code (they did research it, didn't they) - I got no response. I tried reaching out to them 3 more times - they are just quietly ignoring me. So, if you just want to waste your money - go ahead and use them!

June 17th, 2017 Wheaton, IL

I had questions about activating the DNA kit I ordered and called customer service. I was told there were 16 callers ahead of me and was updated on my place in line until I reached Daniel, about 15 minutes later. He was very helpful, answered my questions, and walked me through the activation process. A wait time of 15 minutes during a sale is very acceptable. Great customer service! Susan Miller, Illinois, U.S.A.

June 14th, 2017

Got all my questions answered and got my family site back to normal - great rep Markus

June 14th, 2017

Thank you to Ron for helping me sort out a problem with your MY Heritage site. The problem was easily corrected by Ron who was so helpful and worked through with me how to get into the site it was much appreciated . Found you guys really helpful . You are tops A+ A+ A+ in my estimation .Thanks a million Cheers Margaret Nicholls NZ

June 13th, 2017 Green Bay, WI

Once I got through, after 1 1/2 hours of waiting on the phone, my problem was resolved immediately. The representative was very knowledgeable and pleasant!

June 12th, 2017 Killeen, TX

I have used MyHeritage for many years. I like the look of the tree and how you can customize your information.

June 12th, 2017

I have had several questions about my tree, and subscriptions. My Heritage was always quick to respond, and I received answers 1-2 days later. When I call they are always willing to help. I recommend this site to many of my friends.

June 7th, 2017 Los Angeles, CA

Olivia was very helpful and patient helping me remove people from my tree. It's really simple but I had no idea how to do this. Thank you, Olivia.

June 7th, 2017

professional service, polite without forcing you.

May 24th, 2017

This site is CROOKED. I accidentally missed the 14 day trial sign-up and the charged me with out notice. I called to cancel and they offered me "not in their policy" of course a 50% refund. Criminal. Also they don't or won't give out employee last names. So sketchy. SO NOT USE. IT IS A SCAM. A free trial = $119.

May 14th, 2017

9 emails over the last 4 days requesting a refund and double checking I have cancelled subscription. Nothing except stupid ticket numbers. Lucky I signed up with PayPal...

May 11th, 2017

The end product was very general and did not comport with what I know of my family tree. My paternal grandmother's father immigrated from Germany, yet no Northern European DNA? Go figure. Bombarded with lots of possible DNA match E-mails. Not interested. Customer support is non-existence. Try someone else.

May 11th, 2017

This company matches your DNA with open-samples from 42 counties and this comparing with 195 countries, this coverage is very low. They don't have a list of the coverage. Your DNA will be stored in US servers. Please read the agreement and terms! As EU citizen your privacy is not protected, at the question: "will my DNA results will be removed", I didn't get any answer. So I give them my DNA + pay money to get a very global result which you also can tell me by looking in my face. I don't trust this kind companies as a EU citizen. Israel citizens are protected so they are not allowed to use the service, but it falls under Israel and US laws. This confuses me.

May 6th, 2017 Cuyahoga Falls, OH

I strongly advise everyone thinking about using My Heritage to reconsider. I sent in my DNA samples, after paying $81, with shipping. At 7 weeks, after I sent it back, I emailed to see where my results were. After receiving no reply, I emailed again. No one returned my email until the 8 week mark when they informed me that they were sending me another DNA test kit, at "no additional charge." THEY LOST MY DNA!" At this point, 11 weeks after I initially emailed them, no one has returned my message to explain where my sample is or to attempt to return my money. This is a scam to steal your hard earned money. Who knows where my DNA sample could end up! I will be contacting my attorney first thing Monday morning!

April 11th, 2017 Chicopee, MA

a family of 12 kids with the same parents the others are french and spanish ,but me i am english and irish. i even gave one of my sisters names who has done the DNA and is in the system. they can"t match me. all i get are other peoples relatives. customer service , it is a one way conversation the phone line hangs up on you and their web sight is only a one way conversation. i want my money back. or get it right .

April 7th, 2017

I started with Myheritage with all hopes high. For about two years with a premium subscription I was happy working with it. The software did not work, but at least the website was up and running. I even used my MyHeritage Tree as my master base (I have trees on multiple services. That is until I received a notice that the webspace was full, even although the site says that premium members have unlimited data. For weeks my requests to solve this issue went unanswered. This was getting annoying. Since I could not add any more people, I used another service as master, planning on migrating it back to MyHeritage once the data issue was solved. So I uploaded my updated tree once the issue was solved. Unfortuntately they have since then removed the delete function on my website. This means that I suddenly had two trees, on outdated one and an updated one with no means to remove the outdated one. Again I started the crusade to get support on this. After a few weeks I received a call and they said that a technical person would call me to sort it out. A few days later I discovered that they had removed one of the trees without my knowledge. The newer one. I have cancelled my subsciption and any attempt to get some reaction from them has gone unanswered. It is safe to say that I would not recommend this service to anyone.

March 30th, 2017 Phoenix, AZ

Cannot believe the complaints I have read about this company, and am now experiencing the same mess. I sent my kit back to My Heritage 3 weeks before my son in law. He has already received his results and I am still waiting-past the promised delivery date. You cannot get through on the phone and there is no other means to contact them. Never would I recommend this company. Never!

April 9th, 2016 Cape May, NJ

I would like to have a option to have someone else to find my family history. I would like that because I was not able to go past my grandparents and I wish to go back as far as possible to go.

March 7th, 2016

MyHeritage offers as part of the commercial plan, access to alleged "historical data" about marriages, births, censuses etc., which for the case of Denmark on the one hand is presented as covering only a few areas of Denmark, but on the other hand postulates to include data on several milion records of marriages and births in Denmark, which according to a crude calculation equals the full total number of births and marriages during the periods indicated, and not only selected parts or areas of Denmark. That the data only covers a small proportion of the relevant historical data is confirmed by the small number of historical events identified for a specific family tree. They also present data from historical records, which are falsely presented as data on civil marriages. It is easily understandable how a foreign organisation not familiar with Danish language and marital recording system has made this mistake. This has the consequence when retrieving information through MyHeritage's system that one receives two different alleged dates of marriage for the same couple and same marriage. Although confronted with this obvious error, and other errors in retrieved data and translation errors, MyHeritage support refrain from taking any action to remedy the errors, or warning the users about the lack of coverage and reliability of the data to which MyHeritage are giving access for a heavy toll. The user gets the false impression that the historical data which are presented by MyHeritage's system is a "gold standard" which can be used to correct own data. One of the support team members lectured me that as some of the work with Danish historical data had been performed by the Mormons' organisation, they did not find any reason to trust my objections. I can fully support mr. Brockman's comments below. It is frustrating the the alleged "support" do not answer technical questions nor listen to well founded criticism.