Begun in 2005 in Bnei Atarot, Israel, MyHeritage.com is a unique offering to the genealogy research website landscapes. In addition to the international headquarters in Israel, offices are located in Utah and California.

MyHeritage.com has a robust community of users and offers state-of-the art search options, advanced matching, DNA tests, and three subscription plans with prices that meet every budget (ranging from free-$120/annually). Subscription levels are tiered and features are enhanced with upgrades. MyHeritage.com offers a discount for first year subscribers as well as for those who subscribe for multiple years at one time.

The website is intuitive and features a powerful search engine with results loading quickly. Of the records available to research, MyHeritage.com boasts billions of records from which to gather information about your ancestors.

MyHeritage.com offers free family tree software to download as well as a free mobile app to work on your family history wherever the urge strikes. The mobile app is easy to use and our review team did not have problems with crashing or freezing during use.

FamilySearch.org chevron_right
4.8
Ancestry.com chevron_right
4.1
Find a Grave chevron_right

The Good

• Features

MyHeritage.com offers its members many features including:

• Tiered membership levels offer the ability to expand your membership as your needs increase
  • Discount for multiple year subscriptions
  • Robust community of over 70,000,000 members worldwide
  • Vast collection of timely and educational articles on the company blog
  • User support forums to answer members' technical and research questions
  • State of the art technology: Smart matching, Face recognition, Megadex
  • Free family tree builder software
  • Mobile app available for both Apple and Android

The Bad

• Free plan limitations

MyHeritage.com's free plan limits your ability to search and the size of your family tree. For those just starting out in their genealogical research, this plan works well, but for those with a more comprehensive family tree, this limiting can be a factor. One could quickly outgrow the free option.

The Bottom Line

After researching the options, doing test searches, our review team recommends MyHeritage.com as a solid option for those looking for a genealogy research site. The tools (even limited with the free option) are top-notch and deliver results.

The training available onsite is extensive and the blog offers regular tutorials on timely research topics as well as gives members information about how best to use the features available in their membership plans.

The community forums are active with members answering questions fielded by other members, giving help when and where needed.

3.7

CoasterRider

February 20th, 2021 Show Low, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great genealogy website. Easy to navigate and connect with others who are searching on the same family lines as you are.

Kent Fuge

February 2nd, 2021 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Because My Heritage is focused significantly on the British Isles, they have a lot of the resources that I find useful. While they do have other information, if you are looking for British Isles info they are the place to go.

Rachel Butler

January 30th, 2021 Provo, UT

It can be a good place to find some information but it doesn’t have a ton and the software isn’t intuitive

Kyle

January 26th, 2021 Provo, UT

Probably among my least favorite genealogy sites, but I always check it when doing family history because there are some sources and lines that are better here.

Max Winkel

December 1st, 2020 Lindon, UT

I signed up for the MyHeritage trial. I was pretty impressed by the functionality and the users. I ended up not subscribing but the service.

Audrey Mitchell

February 10th, 2020 Managua, MN

MyHeritage is a good website if you are looking into the stories of your ancestors. It is not the best when looking into the genealogy tree.

Sandra Douglas

February 9th, 2020 Evanston, WY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have just started using this site. It is user friendly. I look forward to doing more with it.

Brenda Mertes

November 15th, 2019 Houston, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

MyHeritage isn't an easy place to search for ancestors. I have little luck finding what I'm looking for on here. Navigating the site is slightly difficult as well. I'm only finding military records for the most part, which is not what I am after.

Bonnie C Osgood

September 24th, 2019 Olean, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Giving good information on my family, good to know about my ancestors.

Stephen

September 10th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Fun and revealing and incite full giving revelations about my family roots.

Lloyd Box

September 10th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They have more resources and better connecting apps

John

Created 3 different family trees using this program

Chris Neaves

August 31st, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Took out subscription for 1 year. Thoroughly enjoyed doing the research. As a pensioner I do not have the funds just yet to renew my subscription - BUT I do not appreciate an attempt to access my credit card - without my permission - for another year renewal. What will happen when I die - will myheritage just keep on trying to access my credit card ?

Jim Haug

August 26th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very easy to use. Have been using this site for over 6 years.

Lee Robert Baker

August 26th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

14 year experience. Always coming up with new research and DNA matches.

Michael Witsell

August 26th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Not that helpful to my looking for ancestors in the past

Marie Ries

August 26th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Easy to use. Be careful, you might find too many relatives on here.

C.Willemsen

August 26th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

the layout of the tree is good, the handling is easy but the extra's for the paying customer part give you nothing you could not do yourself and is overrated (expensive). There are many free sites where you can get the same information, nevertheless I appreciate the free site above other sites

Michael Cohan

August 19th, 2019 Libby, MT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I cancelled membership during the free trial period, four days prior to its expiration. Was billed $139USD the day after free trial period in spite of cancellation. Customer service phone # on their website is not a functioning number. Send button on their customer service page times out and does not send message. This company is a fraud. NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH THEM!!!!!

Lori S

July 2nd, 2019 Norwood, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Almost impossible to cancel. Avoid at all cost. I ended up contacting PayPal to get these idiots of of my back. They are overpriced and have the worst customer service I've ever had to deal with. Total scam artists.

Still Waiting

June 10th, 2019 Watertown, WI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've been waiting four months for DNA results. Support emails go unanswered.

N B

April 6th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Avoid this company at any cost. There are plenty of alternatives around without the headaches

magda mlondon

March 6th, 2019 Charlotte, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I decided to put a star because I feel disappointed with MyHeritage's communication and customer service. They received my DNA test. On February 3/2019, I was initially given the preliminary date to receive the results between February 27 and March 2, today is March 6, and I just saw a notice on the page that is a little behind, and the delay is Extends for" only" a month and a half more, the new date of delivery of results is April 17. I have written emails without any answer. When calling the customer service numbers; it is almost impossible to speak with a representative. For these reasons, I do not recommend using MyHeritage services. It is better to pay a little more and receive a good and timely service.

Charles Biggs

December 23rd, 2018

I've done genealogical research on my family for over 50 years. I just received my results and they don't even come close to what I have documented. There is no mention of native Americans -- I have pictures -- and the dna came through the female side of the family so there aren't likely that issue. I suspect they sent me a canned version and how would I prove otherwise?

Wayne Vogen

October 2nd, 2018 Santa Cruz, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This site IS A SCAM. I am trying to cancel 2 week free trial and their instructions are log in to you account. I have tried everything I can think of and cannot get into my account, so I can't cancel. They don't answer their phone or emails. SCAMSCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAMSCAMSCAMSCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAMSCAMSCAMSCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAMSCAMSCAMSCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAMSCAMVSCAMSCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAMSCAMSCAMSCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAMSCAMSCAMSCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAMSCAMSCAMSCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAMSCAM

wanda

August 30th, 2018 Saint George, UT

i forgot my password and had a question about the site so i called the call center and spoke w/ Lisa who was so kind. Lisa helped me right away and i was only on hold for 10 mins. Lisa helped me reset my password. She was so patient with me and didn't make me feel like i was being rushed.

Bella Houtz

August 21st, 2018 South Jordan, UT

They have helped me with finding my heritage so much. Theyare super nice and easy to keep in touch with.

Kim Millett

August 21st, 2018 Lindon, UT

I am a family history specialist. This is the best site for those Scandinavian names. They way they have the search organized it is most easy to find the records on MyHeritage. Family history is such a great hobby when one has all the great tools.

Haidyn Houtz

August 18th, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I didn’t enjoy using this website. It was very confusing and not user-friendly. There are way better options out there for learning about your ancestors.

Marilyn Greer

July 21st, 2018 Saint George, UT

I have downloaded my information here and use it sometimes. I don't feel it is as helpful as Family Search or Ancestry.

Jim Stewart

July 6th, 2018 Queen Creek, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great service. The best at finding links in my family chain. Smart search feature is very helpful. It searches worldwide databases to find possible ancestors then alerts you to approve the match. Great tool for beginners.

Coleen Daniels

November 11th, 2017 Myersville, MD

I have started using this site recently. It has great information and is easy to use.

Doris Redhead

September 26th, 2017

My interest in genealogy started in 2006 as I was approaching retirement. Initially I employed various websites including Ancestry and Find My Past with good results. I noticed that GENI was also a popular site and so I began the Family Tree on that. It was user-friendly and easy to use. When MyHeritage took GENI over, I was uncertain whether to make the transition but decided that it was going to be inevitable that I had to move the Tree there. It didn’t take me long to appreciate the numerous advantages of MYHERITAGE and now I wouldn’t want to be without it. There is regular communication about discoveries and lots of helpful advice. It is intuitive, providing all the available options and helpfully answering questions which arise. There is a great sense of supportiveness and encouragement. MyHeritage has become part of my life. Hardly a day goes by without me looking at the discoveries or perusing the Tree. The Home page is great with reminders of birthdays and photographs of the immediate family. There are updates on data which has been put in and easy access to the Tree and photos. One of the best features is the Iphone App which can be used anywhere and I find myself accessing that when I have some time to spare, just waiting for the dentist or a TV programme. I have made good friends with other users of the site and correspond with them, exchanging information and photos. It is amazing how much History and Geography one learns too and wish that I had learned more History at school. I have also discovered interesting links to well-known people. and find that I am prompted to find out more about all the people who feature in my Tree. Genealogy is a fascinating, educational and addictive hobby. My children and grandchildren are quite interested and ask questions about their ancestors. They wanted a book with all the information to hand and so my brother and I published a Family Tree book. We are working on a second one. Recently my grandson sent off his buccal swab for DNA information and we await the results with interest. It is good to know who you are and I believe the children will want to pursue this interest in the future. The Myheritage website is easy to use and offers a wealth of information at your fingertips. Doris Redhead

Per Berling

September 19th, 2017

I think MyHeritage is a complete and comprehensive tool for having good control of your data. I really like a lot of the excellent possibilities of matching persons from your own family tree. Also when I want to add photos, web pages and nice prints of people. The PedigreeMap is interesting and so are are many opportunities to check for duplicates, incorrect dates etc. MyHeritage is outstanding

Edward Wheeler

September 14th, 2017

I called to change credit card details and though ninth in line it was not long of a wait. When it was answered she did a great job correcting the problem. Thank you very much.

ELSIE

September 13th, 2017 Jacksonville, NC

I WAS NUMBER 8 IN THE QUE, BUT IT DID NOT TAKE VERY LONG BEFORE BRETT WAS ON THE PHONE AND HE ANSWERED MY QUESTION POLITELY AND PROFESSIONALLY AND I REALLY APPRECIATE THAT. GOOD JOB!!!

Cindy

September 13th, 2017 Seattle, WA

called to make sure my kit had arrived and Maya was very helpful and gave me valuable information on why my kit was not being processed and that they had mailed a new one out to me. Thank you so much Maya, you were great!

Marlene Mason

September 13th, 2017 Saint Paul, MN

Michal was absolutely fabulous in helping me sort out my issues with "My Heritage" site. She was very patient and couldn't have been kinder in walking me through the process's necessary for me to achieve what I wanted to do. Cudo's to her!

Dianne Arnold

September 12th, 2017 San Marcos, CA

I called Customer Service and had only a short wait to speak to Markus. My issue was that I had responded to a promo offer to extend my subscription and was concerned that the system had set up a new account instead of adding to my existing one. Markus quickly consulted with a supervisor and then was able to assure me that the new purchase had in fact been added to my account correctly. I received an email confirming my transaction. This only took a few minutes and I am a happy camper. This is the second time I've called Customer Service (not for the same question). The first time, it took several days to get the change to show up in the system, but the CSR stayed with it and kept in touch with me to make sure I understood that it was resolved. Good Customer Service experience.

Gabriela

September 12th, 2017

Wonderful customer service, had an issue with 2 kits activation codes, and they went above and beyond to fix it all while being courteous and patient. Thank you!

Paul H. Harpin

September 12th, 2017 Ruckersville, VA

Eve was great. She tried hard and was quite knowledgeable. My less than a 10 rating is not due to Eve but with your complicated website. Accessing my two family trees is much more difficult than it has to be. Eve explained it well but it seems to me it could be much easier. I'm not a computer guy but I would think design of a simpler website is possible today. Also, I had to wait at least 45 minutes to speak to Eve. Luckily, I had plenty to do

OHM

September 12th, 2017 Lawrenceville, GA

I needed some clarification on the results I got back from my heritage.com. I was pleased with the amount of knowledge that the individual in customer service had. He was patient and took his time explaining to me how the results came about. I was able to understand more about the DNA process and received more clarity regarding the results.

Deborah Edney

September 12th, 2017 St. Petersburg, FL

I have have the privilege of speaking twice to your customer service people. Both were very polite, informative and genuine in reaction to my excitement over the process. I am sooooooo excited I can hardly stand it. Keep up the great work.

Kristi Reese

September 12th, 2017

The technical support line states they open Sunday through Thursday, 11 PM MST. But 2 night in a row I stayed awake until after midnight to get help from them and they never answered the phone. VERY FRUSTRATING. And my email question wasn't answered for 4 days.

Peter Glazier

September 12th, 2017

The purpose for making contact is to explore the possibility of using your services to offer DNA testing to a number of people. The initial contact with Joy has been very positive and I look forward to further contact shotly

DRTucker

September 11th, 2017 Enid, OK

Enga was very professional and helpful with assisting me. She answered all my questions so I could understand my issues., and proposed a solution that I could understand and appreciate and continue with using the service. Good Job Enga.

James H Fenner

September 11th, 2017 Highlands, NC

Tech service was very helpful after a 30 minute wait.

Richard GeMeiner

September 11th, 2017 Des Moines, IA

I spoke with Steve,and I have never had any company support treat me as politely and as quickley as Steve did. If he is the image of your company, you could not do it better.

Willie

September 11th, 2017

I was assisted this morning by Lisa in answering the question that I had by security of the website and the protection of my data in a very timely matter. Thanks

James McLure

September 11th, 2017

Called My Heritage this morning and connected within minutes. Had several questions written out and Mia answered each one in turn 100% to my satisfaction. I have no problem recommending My Heritage and thank them and Mia for such wonderful service.