MyHeritage.com

MyHeritage.com

Begun in 2005 in Bnei Atarot, Israel, MyHeritage.com is a unique offering to the genealogy research website landscapes. In addition to the international headquarters in Israel, offices are located in Utah and California.

MyHeritage.com has a robust community of users and offers state-of-the art search options, advanced matching, DNA tests, and three subscription plans with prices that meet every budget (ranging from free-$120/annually). Subscription levels are tiered and features are enhanced with upgrades. MyHeritage.com offers a discount for first year subscribers as well as for those who subscribe for multiple years at one time.

The website is intuitive and features a powerful search engine with results loading quickly. Of the records available to research, MyHeritage.com boasts billions of records from which to gather information about your ancestors.

MyHeritage.com offers free family tree software to download as well as a free mobile app to work on your family history wherever the urge strikes. The mobile app is easy to use and our review team did not have problems with crashing or freezing during use.

The Good

• Features

MyHeritage.com offers its members many features including:

• Tiered membership levels offer the ability to expand your membership as your needs increase
  • Discount for multiple year subscriptions
  • Robust community of over 70,000,000 members worldwide
  • Vast collection of timely and educational articles on the company blog
  • User support forums to answer members' technical and research questions
  • State of the art technology: Smart matching, Face recognition, Megadex
  • Free family tree builder software
  • Mobile app available for both Apple and Android

The Bad

• Free plan limitations

MyHeritage.com's free plan limits your ability to search and the size of your family tree. For those just starting out in their genealogical research, this plan works well, but for those with a more comprehensive family tree, this limiting can be a factor. One could quickly outgrow the free option.

The Bottom Line

After researching the options, doing test searches, our review team recommends MyHeritage.com as a solid option for those looking for a genealogy research site. The tools (even limited with the free option) are top-notch and deliver results.

The training available onsite is extensive and the blog offers regular tutorials on timely research topics as well as gives members information about how best to use the features available in their membership plans.

The community forums are active with members answering questions fielded by other members, giving help when and where needed.

79 MyHeritage.com Reviews

1. Select Your Rating

2. Subject For This Review * (Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Next Step: Verify your email

We have sent a verification email to the following email address:

September 19th, 2017

I think MyHeritage is a complete and comprehensive tool for having good control of your data. I really like a lot of the excellent possibilities of matching persons from your own family tree. Also when I want to add photos, web pages and nice prints of people. The PedigreeMap is interesting and so are are many opportunities to check for duplicates, incorrect dates etc. MyHeritage is outstanding

September 14th, 2017

I called to change credit card details and though ninth in line it was not long of a wait. When it was answered she did a great job correcting the problem. Thank you very much.

September 13th, 2017 Jacksonville, NC

I WAS NUMBER 8 IN THE QUE, BUT IT DID NOT TAKE VERY LONG BEFORE BRETT WAS ON THE PHONE AND HE ANSWERED MY QUESTION POLITELY AND PROFESSIONALLY AND I REALLY APPRECIATE THAT. GOOD JOB!!!

September 13th, 2017 Seattle, WA

called to make sure my kit had arrived and Maya was very helpful and gave me valuable information on why my kit was not being processed and that they had mailed a new one out to me. Thank you so much Maya, you were great!

September 13th, 2017 Saint Paul, MN

Michal was absolutely fabulous in helping me sort out my issues with "My Heritage" site. She was very patient and couldn't have been kinder in walking me through the process's necessary for me to achieve what I wanted to do. Cudo's to her!

September 12th, 2017 San Marcos, CA

I called Customer Service and had only a short wait to speak to Markus. My issue was that I had responded to a promo offer to extend my subscription and was concerned that the system had set up a new account instead of adding to my existing one. Markus quickly consulted with a supervisor and then was able to assure me that the new purchase had in fact been added to my account correctly. I received an email confirming my transaction. This only took a few minutes and I am a happy camper. This is the second time I've called Customer Service (not for the same question). The first time, it took several days to get the change to show up in the system, but the CSR stayed with it and kept in touch with me to make sure I understood that it was resolved. Good Customer Service experience.

September 12th, 2017

Wonderful customer service, had an issue with 2 kits activation codes, and they went above and beyond to fix it all while being courteous and patient. Thank you!

September 12th, 2017 Ruckersville, VA

Eve was great. She tried hard and was quite knowledgeable. My less than a 10 rating is not due to Eve but with your complicated website. Accessing my two family trees is much more difficult than it has to be. Eve explained it well but it seems to me it could be much easier. I'm not a computer guy but I would think design of a simpler website is possible today. Also, I had to wait at least 45 minutes to speak to Eve. Luckily, I had plenty to do

September 12th, 2017 Lawrenceville, GA

I needed some clarification on the results I got back from my heritage.com. I was pleased with the amount of knowledge that the individual in customer service had. He was patient and took his time explaining to me how the results came about. I was able to understand more about the DNA process and received more clarity regarding the results.

September 12th, 2017 St. Petersburg, FL

I have have the privilege of speaking twice to your customer service people. Both were very polite, informative and genuine in reaction to my excitement over the process. I am sooooooo excited I can hardly stand it. Keep up the great work.

September 12th, 2017

The technical support line states they open Sunday through Thursday, 11 PM MST. But 2 night in a row I stayed awake until after midnight to get help from them and they never answered the phone. VERY FRUSTRATING. And my email question wasn't answered for 4 days.

September 12th, 2017

The purpose for making contact is to explore the possibility of using your services to offer DNA testing to a number of people. The initial contact with Joy has been very positive and I look forward to further contact shotly

September 11th, 2017 Enid, OK

Enga was very professional and helpful with assisting me. She answered all my questions so I could understand my issues., and proposed a solution that I could understand and appreciate and continue with using the service. Good Job Enga.

September 11th, 2017 Norcross, GA

Called MyHeritage Support on 911 to resolve an issue with combining my wife’s DNA results into the family tree established by me over the past 11 years. Problem resolved in about 5 minutes. Will not have to regenerate my tree information into a tree established by my wife.

September 11th, 2017 Highlands, NC

Tech service was very helpful after a 30 minute wait.

September 11th, 2017 Des Moines, IA

I spoke with Steve,and I have never had any company support treat me as politely and as quickley as Steve did. If he is the image of your company, you could not do it better.

September 11th, 2017

I was assisted this morning by Lisa in answering the question that I had by security of the website and the protection of my data in a very timely matter. Thanks

September 11th, 2017

Called My Heritage this morning and connected within minutes. Had several questions written out and Mia answered each one in turn 100% to my satisfaction. I have no problem recommending My Heritage and thank them and Mia for such wonderful service.

September 10th, 2017

I was very pleased with my interaction with Mia from MyHeritage. I required help around the inputting of photos onto my family tree. She was very knowledgeable and professional, and guided me through all the various steps. Thank you Mia and MyHeritage.

September 9th, 2017

I have been using the MyHeritage site sporadically for several years. I noticed I was getting numerous annual renewals. I called customer service to find the answer to why I got charged $159.20 twice and $175.40 over a period of 3 months. I was ready for a fight but I got just the opposite. Sterling was the CSR I spoke with. He explained the charges were from accounts that I signed up for me and my wife. I also bought a premium plus. He explained what they all were about and when I signed up etc. I explained that I wasn't using the services as I intended because of my own time constraints. He completely understood and refunded all my charges as requested. One of those 3 charges I forgot about. He told me what it was and asked if I wanted the refund on that also. Sterling did not try to talk me into staying in the program. He explained what I can still do on the site and wanted to make sure I was happy with the services provided. I certainly am happy with it. It is not often that a CSR is very helpful and understanding. Sterling is that CSR. I will do business with MyHeritage now and in the future. I will tell many people of my great experience and how understanding Sterling was of my situation.