MyHeritage.com

8.9

Begun in 2005 in Bnei Atarot, Israel, MyHeritage.com is a unique offering to the genealogy research website landscapes. In addition to the international headquarters in Israel, offices are located in Utah and California.

MyHeritage.com has a robust community of users and offers state-of-the art search options, advanced matching, DNA tests, and three subscription plans with prices that meet every budget (ranging from free-$120/annually). Subscription levels are tiered and features are enhanced with upgrades. MyHeritage.com offers a discount for first year subscribers as well as for those who subscribe for multiple years at one time.

The website is intuitive and features a powerful search engine with results loading quickly. Of the records available to research, MyHeritage.com boasts billions of records from which to gather information about your ancestors.

MyHeritage.com offers free family tree software to download as well as a free mobile app to work on your family history wherever the urge strikes. The mobile app is easy to use and our review team did not have problems with crashing or freezing during use.

The Good

• Features

MyHeritage.com offers its members many features including:

• Tiered membership levels offer the ability to expand your membership as your needs increase
  • Discount for multiple year subscriptions
  • Robust community of over 70,000,000 members worldwide
  • Vast collection of timely and educational articles on the company blog
  • User support forums to answer members' technical and research questions
  • State of the art technology: Smart matching, Face recognition, Megadex
  • Free family tree builder software
  • Mobile app available for both Apple and Android

The Bad

• Free plan limitations

MyHeritage.com's free plan limits your ability to search and the size of your family tree. For those just starting out in their genealogical research, this plan works well, but for those with a more comprehensive family tree, this limiting can be a factor. One could quickly outgrow the free option.

The Bottom Line

After researching the options, doing test searches, our review team recommends MyHeritage.com as a solid option for those looking for a genealogy research site. The tools (even limited with the free option) are top-notch and deliver results.

The training available onsite is extensive and the blog offers regular tutorials on timely research topics as well as gives members information about how best to use the features available in their membership plans.

The community forums are active with members answering questions fielded by other members, giving help when and where needed.

3.8

Coleen Daniels

November 11th, 2017 Myersville, MD

I have started using this site recently. It has great information and is easy to use.

Doris Redhead

September 26th, 2017

My interest in genealogy started in 2006 as I was approaching retirement. Initially I employed various websites including Ancestry and Find My Past with good results. I noticed that GENI was also a popular site and so I began the Family Tree on that. It was user-friendly and easy to use. When MyHeritage took GENI over, I was uncertain whether to make the transition but decided that it was going to be inevitable that I had to move the Tree there. It didn’t take me long to appreciate the numerous advantages of MYHERITAGE and now I wouldn’t want to be without it. There is regular communication about discoveries and lots of helpful advice. It is intuitive, providing all the available options and helpfully answering questions which arise. There is a great sense of supportiveness and encouragement. MyHeritage has become part of my life. Hardly a day goes by without me looking at the discoveries or perusing the Tree. The Home page is great with reminders of birthdays and photographs of the immediate family. There are updates on data which has been put in and easy access to the Tree and photos. One of the best features is the Iphone App which can be used anywhere and I find myself accessing that when I have some time to spare, just waiting for the dentist or a TV programme. I have made good friends with other users of the site and correspond with them, exchanging information and photos. It is amazing how much History and Geography one learns too and wish that I had learned more History at school. I have also discovered interesting links to well-known people. and find that I am prompted to find out more about all the people who feature in my Tree. Genealogy is a fascinating, educational and addictive hobby. My children and grandchildren are quite interested and ask questions about their ancestors. They wanted a book with all the information to hand and so my brother and I published a Family Tree book. We are working on a second one. Recently my grandson sent off his buccal swab for DNA information and we await the results with interest. It is good to know who you are and I believe the children will want to pursue this interest in the future. The Myheritage website is easy to use and offers a wealth of information at your fingertips. Doris Redhead

Per Berling

September 19th, 2017

I think MyHeritage is a complete and comprehensive tool for having good control of your data. I really like a lot of the excellent possibilities of matching persons from your own family tree. Also when I want to add photos, web pages and nice prints of people. The PedigreeMap is interesting and so are are many opportunities to check for duplicates, incorrect dates etc. MyHeritage is outstanding

Edward Wheeler

September 14th, 2017

I called to change credit card details and though ninth in line it was not long of a wait. When it was answered she did a great job correcting the problem. Thank you very much.

ELSIE

September 13th, 2017 Jacksonville, NC

I WAS NUMBER 8 IN THE QUE, BUT IT DID NOT TAKE VERY LONG BEFORE BRETT WAS ON THE PHONE AND HE ANSWERED MY QUESTION POLITELY AND PROFESSIONALLY AND I REALLY APPRECIATE THAT. GOOD JOB!!!

Cindy

September 13th, 2017 Seattle, WA

called to make sure my kit had arrived and Maya was very helpful and gave me valuable information on why my kit was not being processed and that they had mailed a new one out to me. Thank you so much Maya, you were great!

Marlene Mason

September 13th, 2017 Saint Paul, MN

Michal was absolutely fabulous in helping me sort out my issues with "My Heritage" site. She was very patient and couldn't have been kinder in walking me through the process's necessary for me to achieve what I wanted to do. Cudo's to her!

Dianne Arnold

September 12th, 2017 San Marcos, CA

I called Customer Service and had only a short wait to speak to Markus. My issue was that I had responded to a promo offer to extend my subscription and was concerned that the system had set up a new account instead of adding to my existing one. Markus quickly consulted with a supervisor and then was able to assure me that the new purchase had in fact been added to my account correctly. I received an email confirming my transaction. This only took a few minutes and I am a happy camper. This is the second time I've called Customer Service (not for the same question). The first time, it took several days to get the change to show up in the system, but the CSR stayed with it and kept in touch with me to make sure I understood that it was resolved. Good Customer Service experience.

Gabriela

September 12th, 2017

Wonderful customer service, had an issue with 2 kits activation codes, and they went above and beyond to fix it all while being courteous and patient. Thank you!

Paul H. Harpin

September 12th, 2017 Ruckersville, VA

Eve was great. She tried hard and was quite knowledgeable. My less than a 10 rating is not due to Eve but with your complicated website. Accessing my two family trees is much more difficult than it has to be. Eve explained it well but it seems to me it could be much easier. I'm not a computer guy but I would think design of a simpler website is possible today. Also, I had to wait at least 45 minutes to speak to Eve. Luckily, I had plenty to do

OHM

September 12th, 2017 Lawrenceville, GA

I needed some clarification on the results I got back from my heritage.com. I was pleased with the amount of knowledge that the individual in customer service had. He was patient and took his time explaining to me how the results came about. I was able to understand more about the DNA process and received more clarity regarding the results.

Deborah Edney

September 12th, 2017 St. Petersburg, FL

I have have the privilege of speaking twice to your customer service people. Both were very polite, informative and genuine in reaction to my excitement over the process. I am sooooooo excited I can hardly stand it. Keep up the great work.

Kristi Reese

September 12th, 2017

The technical support line states they open Sunday through Thursday, 11 PM MST. But 2 night in a row I stayed awake until after midnight to get help from them and they never answered the phone. VERY FRUSTRATING. And my email question wasn't answered for 4 days.

Peter Glazier

September 12th, 2017

The purpose for making contact is to explore the possibility of using your services to offer DNA testing to a number of people. The initial contact with Joy has been very positive and I look forward to further contact shotly

DRTucker

September 11th, 2017 Enid, OK

Enga was very professional and helpful with assisting me. She answered all my questions so I could understand my issues., and proposed a solution that I could understand and appreciate and continue with using the service. Good Job Enga.

Lee Robert Baker

September 11th, 2017 Norcross, GA

Called MyHeritage Support on 911 to resolve an issue with combining my wife’s DNA results into the family tree established by me over the past 11 years. Problem resolved in about 5 minutes. Will not have to regenerate my tree information into a tree established by my wife.

James H Fenner

September 11th, 2017 Highlands, NC

Tech service was very helpful after a 30 minute wait.

Richard GeMeiner

September 11th, 2017 Des Moines, IA

I spoke with Steve,and I have never had any company support treat me as politely and as quickley as Steve did. If he is the image of your company, you could not do it better.

Willie

September 11th, 2017

I was assisted this morning by Lisa in answering the question that I had by security of the website and the protection of my data in a very timely matter. Thanks

James McLure

September 11th, 2017

Called My Heritage this morning and connected within minutes. Had several questions written out and Mia answered each one in turn 100% to my satisfaction. I have no problem recommending My Heritage and thank them and Mia for such wonderful service.

Patrick Barry

September 10th, 2017

I was very pleased with my interaction with Mia from MyHeritage. I required help around the inputting of photos onto my family tree. She was very knowledgeable and professional, and guided me through all the various steps. Thank you Mia and MyHeritage.

Ron Piotrowicz

September 9th, 2017

I have been using the MyHeritage site sporadically for several years. I noticed I was getting numerous annual renewals. I called customer service to find the answer to why I got charged $159.20 twice and $175.40 over a period of 3 months. I was ready for a fight but I got just the opposite. Sterling was the CSR I spoke with. He explained the charges were from accounts that I signed up for me and my wife. I also bought a premium plus. He explained what they all were about and when I signed up etc. I explained that I wasn't using the services as I intended because of my own time constraints. He completely understood and refunded all my charges as requested. One of those 3 charges I forgot about. He told me what it was and asked if I wanted the refund on that also. Sterling did not try to talk me into staying in the program. He explained what I can still do on the site and wanted to make sure I was happy with the services provided. I certainly am happy with it. It is not often that a CSR is very helpful and understanding. Sterling is that CSR. I will do business with MyHeritage now and in the future. I will tell many people of my great experience and how understanding Sterling was of my situation.

Vernon Wilson

September 8th, 2017 Des Moines, IA

Very efficient and a pleasure to speak with a human being instead of an automaton.

JACKIE FITZPATRICK

September 8th, 2017

Quick and painless. When I am ready I will join again.

Laurie

September 8th, 2017

I just had to cancel my subscription but only because my family tree has so many dead ends. The customer service was great and 'Inga" was so helpful in cancelling my subscription and getting the price refunded. I wish I could have been able to use more the their services.

Karl Douglas Einarson

September 8th, 2017

I had a problem with ordering a DNA Kit and phoned in for help. My call was answered promptly and politely. My question was answered and also the operator did the order over the phone . This is my first contact with MyHeritage and it has been a pleasant experience. Thank you,

Mae

September 8th, 2017

I talked to Marcus - I needed to change my email address and tried several times & had big waiting call numbers, I finally tried just the first option and Marcus took care of the change right away. So easy it was AWESOME ! Thank You, Mae

GeorgeAntoniou

September 8th, 2017

Above expectations service. A company expert stayed connected with me for almost 2hrs in order to resolve an upload problem that was a result of a corrupted file and not a result of an application bug. Excellent product, unbelievable support. Highly recommended!!!

Alissa Hill

September 8th, 2017

After my initial inquiry with My Heritage Customer Support regarding the technology - testing, global areas and how their system works I had this explained very clearly to me. I was particularly impressed with how they test almost double the regions, 42, than some other companies. I also researched reviews and discovered people were more satisfied with the extra detail given. I also read one site from a reputable source who claimed their testing technology to be of a higher standard in comparison to competitors. They are also great value for money so I purchased 2 kits, for my friend and myself. I have called again to ask other questions and check when to expect it. They confirmed the tests had arrived and promised the same time frame as when I originally called. To date I am quite impressed with My Heritage and would like to purchase 3 more kits as Christmas gifts for my grown up children. Thank you My Heritage!

james yelton

September 7th, 2017 Candler, NC

I had mailed my wife and my samples and the flood hit Houston. I called to check up on the status and the customer service department was great and I felt very comfortable. No problems and feel that they would respond to any question.

Jerome Perner

September 7th, 2017 Boise, ID

The telephone customer support they offered me was excellent.

Anson Prentiss

September 7th, 2017

It is always refreshing to find a company with good customer service like this one. My questions were answered.

Carl

September 7th, 2017

Have no problem at all with this company I started with only a few family members and now have found more the a 1,000 and still going I have always had good luck with the Customer service except with the email they didn't read my email when they sent an answer. So when I called them I had to wait 20 minutes but when they did answer they were right on and very helpful, fixed my problem right away and in a very nice manner. I have worked with other sites and some were awful.

Mark

September 7th, 2017 Clarksville, TN

Very understanding of my mistake and curtious.

Gary Underwood

September 7th, 2017 Kalāheo, HI

I had a slight problem with one of my DNA Kit Numbers having the wrong name assigned. I called MyHeritage and after a short wait Markus was on the line explaining exactly what needed to done. He also ask if it would be okay if he sent me an email with the instructions in it. I said that would be great, so then I wouldn't have to try and read my on notes. Within five minutes I had the instructions and the Kit reassigned under the right name and everything was ready to go. I've had some bad experiences with customer service personnel and some very good ones. The experience rated very well up in the very good experience category. Thank You Markus.

Denise

September 7th, 2017

Very helpful when I needed to cancel my husband's renewed subscription & claim a refund. My husband is very ill and will be unable to use the My Heritage website . Very understanding and courteous.

Karen Catona

September 6th, 2017

I forgot to cancel my subscription and I simply called my Heritage and the representative took care of giving me a complete refund, I would recommend this company to everyone I know

Elizabeth MacKenzie

September 6th, 2017

I wasn't able to sync my online family tree to my Family Tree Builder. After some email back and forth, with me trying to fix the problem at my end (with very clear instructions from my support rep Yoel), he asked if we could set up a TeamViewer session. This was a little tricky because of our time difference (10 hours between Canada and Israel). During our 1-hour session together Yoel took charge of my computer and finally got the problem resolved. I really appreciated his patience and diligence. He was also a very clear communicator. I was very pleased with the service I received--the only reason I didn't select a 10 rating was that it took so long to get the problem sorted out. I first sent my My Heritage notice of the problem at the end of July and finally got it resolved on Sept 5.

William Charlton

Very understanding person, and a good help. William Charlton

Emily M.

September 6th, 2017 Alexandria, VA

Was billed on last day of trial period. Thought it would be a hassle to get a refund, as I did not intend to go to a full subscription and planned on cancelling this afternoon. Called customer service, was on a very short list, the billing department issued my refund without question and was very courteous!