Findmypast.com was created in 2001 but the history of the company that created Findmypast.com goes back to 1965. Decades of work and research are what users have access to on Findmypast.com. The end result of everything that has been done to form Findmypast.com is over 2 billion records that can be used to help you as you create or do more research about your family tree.
- Newspaper collection
Findmypast.com, which recently acquired Mocavo.com, is one of the leading genealogist sites available for users today. With over 2 billion searchable records, Findmypast.com makes finding ancestors easy. Here are other highlights of Findmypast.com:
- Over 2 billion records from around the world
- Records spanning back to the 1200s
- US censuses from as far back as 1790
- Largest collection of Irish records anywhere online
- US military records from the Revolutionary War up to World War II
- British Army Records 1760 - 1915
- Irish court records
- Passenger lists of ships leaving the UK 1890-1960 to the U.S., Canada and Australia
- Export tree to a GEDcom file
The newspaper collection at findmypast.com is very extensive. They have millions of newspaper pages that go as far back as 1710. Their U.S. and World newspapers cover 21 countries, all 50 states and Canada.
- English-speaking countries
- Message boards
- DNA testing
The records at Findmypast.com are limited to English-speaking countries so if you have ancestors from non-English countries this website is not the best fit for you.
Unlike other website Findmypast.com does not have any message boards. They have some very helpful articles for getting started and lots of other articles with helpful tips but users are not part of a collaborative community at findmypast.com like they are on other sites.
DNA testing is a feature that is not included on Findmypast.com