FamilySearch.org Logo

FamilySearch.org

Is This Your Business?
LAST UPDATED: September 8th, 2021
FamilySearch.org is one of the largest and most trusted websites for genealogical research for several reasons. As many may already know, this site is run by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. This site is completely free for all to use, whether they are members of the LDS Church or not. With over 100 years of experience collecting and preserving records, the LDS Church created a website to digitize their vast collection, which grows daily due to worldwide digitization projects (indexing) manned by an international army of volunteer indexers working from home. This site sets itself apart from the rest not only by its pricing, but the sheer volume of records one can access as well as the degree of assistance which is available in a variety of forms – anywhere from online self-instruction videos or step-by-step tutorials, to online chat (24/7) or honest to goodness live help at one of the 4,600 Family History Centers operated and manned by volunteers. In an industry where the customer service of other companies is concerned primarily with billing of technical support, having assistance from another genealogist is priceless. The site is robust and filled with helpful hints and tips on the WIKI pages with topics for new genealogists and those whom are more seasoned.

The Good

• Features
  • Free membership
  • Mobile app
FamilySearch.org is a top-notch site which has many features integrated to make family research easier. These include:
  • Access to census records (1790-1940)
  • SSDI database
  • Family tree building (with several layouts to view and print data - traditional pedigree, fan and dependency)
  • Free membership (upon signing up with a membership, users can determine the level of privacy which they want as far as allowing other members to connect to them and contact them via email)
  • Access to obituaries, newspapers and books
  • Multiple language platforms
  • Comprehensive blog with educational and informative articles on family history
  • Helpful WIKI to guide research
  • Ability to upload images, documents and create life sketches of family members to bring their records to life
  • Data protection - when duplicates or errors are found, members email their notes through on onsite system with their information corrections and documentation to try and reduce duplicates and correct errors
  • Puzilla.org (run by FamilySearch.org) gives additional opportunities to research dependency and find cousins (also free)
  • Mobile app allows for quick additions on the run
  • Volunteer opportunities for all to help digitize (index) records from home to increase the digital databases available
  • Huge network of Family History Centers (worldwide) at which to receive free help from other genealogists
  • Social Media presence with helpful tips - Facebook, Twitter and Google+
  • YouTube Channel with instructional videos

The Bad

• Web freezes
Our review team noticed that when adding family members into their family trees (especially when importing them from another member's tree), the page can freeze up and needs to be reloaded by clicking another link and then going back into the tree page. This seems to happen during the times which internet traffic is higher. While not a full crash, this can become frustrating when working on building your trees. The developers obviously worked hard to make the site user friendly. There is a learning curve to its use and it is not always intuitive.

The Bottom Line

Our review team is confident in recommending FamilySearch.org for anyone wanting to begin their family history research or to expand the branches of their family tree. This site is well-planned and offers access to records which other sites charge (sometimes hefty fees) to access. Having so many venues for personal help, not only with the functionality of the site (technical), but with the research itself make this site a real bargain - indeed a treasure even.

4.8

JJ Jenkins Phoenix, AZ

Family search is a wonderful online resource that helps me find ancestors in my family tree. It also provides a place for me to store photos, stories, and information soon about me and my loving relatives. It has been a wonderful resource for me to connect with both living relatives and find deceased relatives.

Michelle Bray Pleasant Grove, UT

This is a program to help you create your family history. It does have a bit of a learning curve. Take your time to learn the program first, then start adding your information. Always check the sources before you merge a record. You can create a pedigree chart and family groups, There are tons of records that you can search to verify your relative. Please take care to verify each source before adding it to your family record. A very cool feature is to upload pictures and stories of your relatives. It really makes researching more personal.

Helena Danby Shelley, ID

Family Search is a great place to easily find and even upload documents that belonged to my ancestors. It's amazing how well organized this website is!

Yolanda Queer Shelley, ID

FamilySearch.org is great at giving help with your family history. They give suggestions about how to move forward when you're stuck and don't have enough documents with enough information to keep exploring.

The Bean Spiller Provo, UT

The app is great and I love the feature that allows you to see your relation to the people around you who also are using the app. Helpful as an icebreaker in a meeting or conference session.

Alicia Turner Denver, CO

Family search is a great free website that allows for you to connect with your ancestors and learn of their life. It provides you with being able to attach new sources and even add your own stories. Family search has seriously changed my life.

Emme Corry Logan, UT

One of my favorite things about Family Search is being able to connect with family that has passed on. It inspires me to learn about the people who came before me and opened up opportunities that I probably wouldn't have without them.

Kelly Stanley Orem, UT

I’ve been using family Search for as long as I can remember. It’s super straightforward and there is so much information to find and sort through.

Morgan Tennant Rexburg, ID

FamilySearch makes indexing so easy! Their system is swift and allows for complex documents to seem simple. I trust that this website will always be helpful and insightful.

Brooklyn Jensen Provo, UT

Family Search has a lot of great features. One thing that I love about it is that you can create a fan chart of your family and see where your ancestors came from.

Megan Roper South Jordan, UT

I love how FamilySearch.org keeps me connected to my family. I love how stories, videos, pictures, documents etc. can be added. I also love the emails that the company sends me about my ancestors anniversaries or cool stories about them that have been added to the website.

Mark Benson Nakhon Sawan, 60

I have always been interested in the people who came before me. I got really into figuring out my family tree last year by using FamilySearch.org. I was able to look through countless family members names and find distant connections to my friends.

Debbie Spokane, WA

This has been an amazing tool to help me connect with my ancestors. It has also helped me get in touch with relatives that I hadn’t known about. I love being able to add photos, stories and memories to my family members profiles.

Gabe Burton Riverton, UT

Easy to use, nice to be able to use the chatting feature, although you have to initiate conversations on both ends, just so you're safe.

Isabelle Teeples Smithfield, UT

I have used this website ever since I was 11. I love it so much! They make it so easy to use and have so many fun activities you can do to connect you to your ancestors.

Jason Spokane, WA

FamilySearch.org IS THE BEST!!! It has so much information and with it I've been able to learn so much about my own family history but also help other people explore their ancestry. And the best part is it's totally free.

Pauline Causse Provo, UT

I really like using FamilySearch not only to find ancestors, but also to keep a journal of all the memories that I have of my relatives and my own life to pass on to future generations. You can add pictures and stories, which makes family history more fun!

Brycen Blater Phoenix, AZ

Great way to keep track of family records and discover more connections. I really like the ability to see how you are related to other people around you. It is just a really fun service.

Desi Bramwell Norwalk, OH

Family search is a great website to learn about you ancestry. It is free, easy to navigate and very accurate.

valérie Caussé Draper, UT

I like that FamilySearch allows you to add documents and memories to someone's profile. The search engine is also pretty easy to use and has allowed me to find quite a few of my ancestors

Beth Knight Nakhon Sawan, 60

FamilySearch makes it so easy to find ancestors! They have lots of different visual options that make it easy to see connections and relationships. I’ve always loved using their app

Kym Tennant Salem, VA

I like all the different aspects of a person's life that you can get information about.

Jordon Patton Pflugerville, TX

I recently started using FamilySearch again and they've made a lot of really awesome improvements that make it more fun! I am also a youth leader, and we were able to show the youth how to use the website to do fun things like finding stories about their ancestors, seeing things like who won the Super Bowl the year you were born, where your ancestors come from by percentages, and more.

Brad H Gilbert, AZ

I find familySearch.org very easy to use. Type in a parent name with date of birth and a pedigree chart appears if the parent is in the system. You can also create a fan chart which explores even more relatives. This is a very easy way to start reviewing your ancestry. As you proceed to grandparents and great grandparents the chart keeps expanding allowing you to go back further into the family tree

Cindy H Gilbert, AZ

Love, love this site. It is free to use and has many resources and also opportunities to participate in indexing as a volunteer. I love how you can see so much family history and also you are able to add pictures and memories to share with those who are here and those are yet to be born. I had a 2nd cousin contact me that i never had met when she signed onto an account! This site is all about bringing families together...past, present and future!

Christine Christensen Salt Lake City, UT

Familysearch is my go-to site for all things family history. I love that I can add sources, edit information that is incorrect and add my reasons for doing so, carefully merge duplicate individuals, and add or see photos and memories that others have added. Familysearch also allows me to search their extensive database of historical records which tireless volunteers have indexed. The beauty of familysearch is that family members all over the world who have access to the internet can read information and feel connected to our family! While in the Philippines my son would frequently read stories about his ancestors that gave him strength and courage. I access familysearch almost daily and LOVE it.

Cynthia Azócar Ahumada Riverside, CT

I love this site, I'm using it for years, and is always getting better. I completed 5 generations, just with the free information that FamilySearch provide. I'm from Chile and I can find everything in my own language, and organize it in English or any language I want. I can download documents that contains my great-grandfather signature. I got happier when I found that now there is a Family Search application to add to my smart phone and tablet, using my own account, so I can go with my genealogy everywhere. This is perfect when you are in family reunions and you get more family information that you can add. Also take family pictures and add them to your family tree.

TTeep Smithfield, UT

I'm a casual user of Family Search. I like that I can upload photos and stories as I go through searching my family.

Jackie Spokane, WA

I appreciate that FamilySearch.org is always being upgraded and becoming more user friendly - so many new features and tools!

Rylie Crandall Nakhon Sawan, 60

I like using this website because they send me updates when there is new info for my family tree. I feel well informed and the site is easy to navigate.

Elisabeth Kinghorn Bangkok, 10

FamilySearch.org has completely changed how I research my ancestors. It is so easy to use and gives you a ton of information. Also highly recommend the app!

Taylor Hall Los Angeles, CA

familysearch.com is so easy to use. It is easy to get overwhelmed with genealogy work, but this website simplifies it. I love finding my family and it is so easy to keep track of my work. I’ve never had any issues with the website.

Whitney Wilkins West Valley City, UT

I have loved family search. It is very easy to use and find what I'm looking for. I love having easy access to my family tree and basic information. It also emails me with notifications or new features I may be unaware of. This includes things such as information about relatives, famous ancestory, pioneers, etc.

Paige Ellis Slade Gilbert, AZ

I love familysearch.org. It helps me stay connected with those that have gone before me in a way that wouldn’t be possible. I love looking up little facts or stories from my ancestors and I want to do more of it. Today I was able to wish my dad a happy anniversary to his parents because of this great familysearch.org service. So special!

AshMan17 Riverton, UT

I enjoy how they prompt me with interesting ancestral facts about my family. I love the way that you can view your lineage in many different ways and that you can upload photos, stories, etc about yourself and your ancestors .

Jason Burt Riverton, UT

Love this tool for tracking my family history! It is easy to use, has accurate records, and the price (free) is hard to beat! One feature I really like is how easily you can tie records (like census records) to your ancestors to verify their information. Would strongly recommend it to anyone interested in doing the same!

Whit Orem, UT

I love FamilySearch.org because it is simple and easy to understand. I have used it for many years as I've tried to learn more about my family history. I do feel like they could do better about the connection they offer in creating faster paces responses.

Mary Johnson Flower Mound, TX

Family Search is a great way to learn more about your ancestors and more about yourself! It is user friendly, even for my kids, who like to see which ancestor they look the most like and what percentage American they are. It's also a great place to keep track of important life details and memories.

Mark Troxel Provo, UT

I have found FamilySearch to be a free service. The main problem with it is that there is a lot of information that is inaccurate. Parent listed as siblings, wrong spouse information. You need to confirm any information that you use. It has improved over the years and there are ways to correct info but it can be cumbersome. The reason I rate FamilySearch 4 stars is that the service is free. Compared to what you get versus the sites you pay for, FamilySearch is the best deal around. It is maintained by one of the largest collectors or genealogy information in the world.

Katrina Breithaupt Provo, UT

I use FamilySearch.org almost everyday. It is simple to use and has SO many resources. This website offers easy access to a wide variety of things like indexing names from images, sources to attach to individuals, various views of your family tree and so many more tools that make family history so much easier!

Blake Hirschi Salt Lake City, UT

Being a part of this genealogy community at familysearch.org has been life changing. Such a great way to connect to your past and grow closer to your living relatives! I have been able to add records to many of my deceased grandparents and its been very rewarding.

Landon Badoni Montgomery, TX

Family Search has an incredibly diverse database that is ever expanding. They have a fantastic checks and balances system that is peer reviewed and allows people to transcribe old documents into digital form. I definitely recommend using Family Search for genealogy!

Emily H West Wendover, NV

Love using family search for compiling stories, pictures, and timelines of my ancestors. Very easy to communicate with other relatives and compilers on the family tree. Steps are well guided--I've been using it since I was a young teenager. Grateful for the family history that I am able to keep track of through their services.

Ben Knight Salt Lake City, UT

Super easy to get around on familysearch.org compared to other family history websites. They have such a large, if not the largest, databases for family history. Really great website to find information about your ancestors!

Karli American Fork, UT

Family Search is incredible! It is so amazing to be able to have so much information about my family right at my fingertips! The site is user friendly and well organized and can be used easily both on a mobile phone or internet browser. I love being able to go on and read stories and memories from my ancestors! Truly a great resource.

Mary Alice M. Orem, UT

I used this software in a college family history class and it made my experience trying to find my ancestors much easier. Of course I ran into a lot of what seemed like dead ends, but you need to put a lot of time into familysearch in order to see the results.

Missy Charleston, IL

I love FamilySearch for so many reasons. With so many people connected and able to contribute, it's rewarding to search for ancestors and have such a large extended tree available. I love looking through the "memories" section of ancestors and learning more about their lives because of others contributions. I enjoy indexing and have indexed thousands of names through this site.

Maurie C.

Easy to set up account. VERY helpful phone based support.Tie the information that you put in with the same name and dates others have put in so you can get LOTS of additional information sometimes.. Microfilm copies of original source records are shown. thE ONKLY DRAW BACK i SEE IS THAT YOU CAN ONLY ACCESS 4 TO 7 GENERATIONS AT ONE TIME SO IT IS not POSSIBLE TO VIEW ALL OF THE GENERATIONS OF ANCESTORS AT ONCE OR TO PRINT ALL AT ONCE.

McKinzie Figueroa Provo, UT

I have really enjoyed using FamilySearch. I love that now they are allowing you to upload documents and pictures of your ancestors. It has been so fun to go through and see what is already up and to learn more about my genealogy. I also think the calendar is fun where you can go and see if you have any family members who have birthdays on a specific date. It's lots of fun and is a great way to feel close to your ancestors.

Kory Staheli

I am a big fan of FamilySearch. I have been using it for several years now and have found it to be a very effective tool for both locating and learning about my ancestors. I like that it is constantly being updated with new information. Their fan charts are great for those of us who are visual learners and I have also enjoyed their new relative finder feature.