Ancestry.com Logo

Donna McLaughlin Redding, CA

If you want to talk to a Customer Service rep. be prepared to wait up to an hour. They can't really even do anything except refer you to their supervisor, who makes a note, and then..... well, you wait...and wait...and wait. Never to hear back anything. That leaves you with having to call again. Same story; no results. In addition, the customer service representative can't even connect with a supervisor; I've been left waiting on hold for up to 25 minutes just to have her check with a supervisor. Unacceptable! Been with ancestry over 2 years; I've built quite a tree, lots of unknown links found, i.e. to Thomas Jefferson, Charlemagne, Chaucer, Kings and Queens. Very informative. But when something goes wrong on their end, they are VERY hesitant to admit fault. I've finally threatened to close my account, and now they are supposedly working hard(er) to address my problems.

Dale Ash Sandy, UT

I have had a lot of success finding family records and documenting marriages, births, deaths and other events. The site is easy to use. I've been able to connect with distant cousins regarding family research. The DNA test was inexpensive but hasn't helped me to connect to other family lines.

Cassidy Gundersen Orem, UT

I have used Ancestry.com for several years. It is one of the best resources that I have found to do family history. It is organized, easy to use and navigate and has more files than any other system that I have been able to find. It is helped me find a lot of my ancestors and their customer service is incredible. They are helpful and friendly.

Hayley Lambdin Orem, UT

Ancestry is pretty cool! I love being able to look up various family members and their history. It's well organized and accessible as well.

Coleen Daniels Myersville, MD

This is a great site for those who are looking to find their long lost relatives. It is user friendly and has lots of great documents and information that can help you on you genealogical path!

Ben Sparks, NV

Many cogent questions about using the web site are not addressed at the site. The usual wait for a customer service rep is a minimum of 15-30 minutes. They can spend the money on ubiquitous TV ads but won't spend on an adequate number of phone staff.

Stu Futrell Brewerton, NY

The "Ethnicity Estimate" results were too generic and the cost of continuing this service are astronomical.

Sav Flo

Ancestry is a great resource to do my family history, but I find myself having a difficult time moving around the website. I think there just might be too many options and it is a little overwhelming. I am so happy there is a website so that I can connect to my ancestors.

Sheryl Wilson Salt Lake City, UT

The new version needs to be revised. It's too busy and difficult to work with. It makes it really hard to research.

Aubrey Rentschler Salt Lake City, UT

Their site is easy to use and the records they provide are impressive.

Christopher Haueter Salt Lake City, UT

Ancestry is a really cool business and I love what they do. It was very exciting to send in my DNA so that I could find out where my DNA comes from. It was fun to share with family and friends. It did take a while to get but they have gotten really busy recently and are pretty backed up so you can't expect them to be really quick.

Kari Staheli

I have used Ancestry.com in my geneology searches and like their service. I don't like the price however. I just recently did a DNA test that my children gave me for Mother's day. I am anxiously/excitedly waiting for the results which could take up to 8 weeks. Ancestry.com is a nice option for those looking for their ancestors.

Nancy Zewiey

Presently purchasing Worldwide Membership on a semi-annual basis. $330 a year. Have been purchasing and using Family Tree Maker for more than 10 years, spending $100's and thousand of hours. As of March 29, 2017 have been unable to sync FTM with Ancestry. Despite numerous inquiries no Software Mac Kiev fails to responds. Attempting to get resolution to this problem, I researched SM which claims to be headquartered in Boston, On Google maps they are locate in the middle of the Sumner Tunnel. This is in fact a Ukrainian company [Kiev]. And totally unresponsive to th promised release of FTM 2017 which supposedly would then allow me to sync again with online trees. Real dirty pool. 2nd problem. Have purchased 6 DNA kits over the past 4 years. But for the past week have been unable to access my DNA matches I think this is due to an update which created a new aspect of online DNA matches which I could access Wednesday and it was totally accurate. My problem was assigned to a technician Tuesday but this anonymous person has taken no action and is unreachable by telephone either to me or the customer service reps. Until the last year I would have rated the knowledge, professionalism, and understanding of Ancestry Customer Service as outstanding. The phone was immediately answered by a real person who quickly resolved my problem. Now after 5 minutes of electronic voice, and 4 to 6 minute waiting for live assistance on third of reps may not speak English fluently , have an attitude of superiority, and are not knowledgeable. Ancestry is a service business the data they distribute are free open public records already paid for by taxpayers an it is collected largely by volunteer mormons and other persons interested in amateur history and, or genetics. I am now very frustrated especiall at the fact such personal data is being freely given to the land of hackers and Putin.

Teresa Saldana Arlington, TX

I tried Ancestry.com during a 2- week free trial and cancelled during the time period. I received an email confirming my cancellation. Today I find out I am still being billed. I called and after their associate looking for awhile i was told they have a "sister" company. While you are on the ancestry website you are also unknowingly signing up for a free trial with their sister company..If you don't cancel that one too Ancestry continues to bill..Of course, you aren't made aware of this. When I asked the guy at Ancestry for the phone number to this sister go. I was told he handled both..I would NOT recommend Ancestry.

Earl Noland Bullhead City, AZ

Ancestry has a lot of good information but they have a lot of mistakes and they do not like to be told they are wrong.

Vicki Roush Buckeye, AZ

I still have not received my review on my DNA. I sent it in the start of February.

Jessica McManus Corsicana, TX

Over the past three years since the investment firm Permira bought Ancestry, it has steadily gone downhill. It usesd to be the best place to go for genealogy. Now the website is broken more then it's fixed. They sold Family Tree Maker to Software Mackiev, but seem to be making the takeover as difficult as possible. For the past week, the website and Family Tree Maker just aren't working well together. And I'm sure it will be the same whenever RootsMagic also begins to sync with Ancestry. The customer service is non-existant and you are on hold upwards of an hour to speak to a live person. If you use email support, you get responses that are evident that no one actaully read or comprehended your words that it's ridiculous! I emailed about problems with the Ancestry version of Family Tree Maker and the support person, Bryan, emailed me with the response "I'm sorry you are experiencing problems with our website." No one in customer service or support seem to know how the website even functions. And the standard response are either clear your cache & cookies, use another browser, or "We are aware of the issue and are working on it but we have no idea when it will be fixed." And if you are too vocal about the problems you are having with Ancestry on their facebook page, they will ban you from it. But at the same time they allow certain "trolls" to continue to harass and disrespect those who are honestly just wanting to be able to use what they pay for.

Melanie Wood Rohnert Park, CA

Ancestry.com. They had a nice, easy to navigate set up, one that was handy to review and double check, didn't take up too much room/too much ink if you print. Now we have a truly ludicrus and plain goofey convoluted "Story Book" for every single person that seems to gather information and facts from Pluto or something - just doesn't make sense,: events repeated over and over but with a new date for each repeteition it seems. I can't depend on your presentation anymore. You have gone way too far A.C. And I was such a fan! I was your cheerleader. Get rid of Story Book because there is comical information you've added - God only knows who came up with that stuff. Please, get real with the plain old common sense method that made sense. No more color book with crazy dates, numerous repetitions and goofey stories. I do NOT want to pay for that. Please pay attention to loyal customers!

Matt Champlin, MN

A Family Tree Maker user when it was just a twig. The new online version that we're supposed to trust our hard earned information with is awful. It's probably still trying to load my first request. I have to move on. It looks like there are plenty of choices to shift to. So disappointing.

Pat Forest, MS

I have been using Ancestry.com since 2000. I have had a wonderful experience. I loved it and used it every day........UNTIL they changed to this new format. I hate it! It is too busy, hard on my eyes and too much information to look at all at one time. All this information in front of you on the screen makes it hard to stay focused on what you are actually trying to research. This new format has taken a lot of the joy out of researching for me. Ancestry.com is a wonderful tool and was a good investment for your money. And it really made researching your tree very exciting and rewarding! Please, please, give us a choice on which format we want to use, after all..............we are paying for it. Doesn't customer satisfaction count for anything?

Kirk

The new version is so buggy it will discourage users. I think I will put it aside for a few months so that they can fix it. However, my feedback during the trial period was not used so I may end up cancelling.

Barb Third Ellicott City, MD

Once upon a time, there were thousands of cubicle dwellers. Contentedly in their spare time, many worked for years personalizing their space with family photos, framed documents, tales of true adventures,...in short, they made a house a home. One day, each person entered his home to find complete chaos. Unfamiliar, mass-produced and plastic furniture was anchored where antiques had stood. Carefully tended bookshelves were in disarray. Ancestral photo frames had been torn off, leaving beloved bodies to appear beheaded. Generic pictures from children's encyclopedias hung like giant posters on the walls. The walls themselves were covered gray and black, and purple arrows pointing to maps that led to nowhere had been spray-painted throughout. Family treasures were later found crammed in closets. The bank that held the mortgages proclaimed, “the times, they are a'changing,” saying newcomers who had few furnishings, records, or history lessons needed more. Hundreds of people wrote and wailed for months, to no avail. Final reactions varied: Pack up and move. Lock up and leave. Stay and accept. A few liked the Instant Family feel. This is what the executives of Ancestry.com did to millions of Family Trees they'd been paid to preserve. Inexperienced and unintelligent computer programmers were allowed to turn a decent genealogical website into a disappointing, flaw-filled waste of time. What a travesty!

mary Myrtle Beach, SC

Here are 3 examples of the offensive, juvenile, incorrect nonsense being added by Ancestry to MY carefully constructed historical display: My grandmother was born in India to American citizen missionaries. The way Ancestry tells it she “moved from India to the US at a time when immigrants were expected to quickly assimilate into American society,” This insightful gem is accompanied by a helpful photo of “huddled masses.” Uncle Henry went to “Bleeding Kansas” in 1855 because he was a Quaker and abolitionist. He rode with John Brown, was charged with treason, and eventually became a major in the Union Army. Ancestry implies, photo and all, that he was a homesteader in a covered wagon. They even added the now infamous HUGE shot of the #^$& grasshoppers! “James was one of many Irish living in NYC at a time when the Big Apple was experiencing a boom in Irish immigrants.” I suspect even many 12-year-olds would know that nobody called NYC the Big Apple in 1871. Who writes this crap? For Ancestry to respond that I may feel free to delete it is beyond the pale. Ancestry makes a mess and hands US a mop?

Jim Mcglynn Kalamazoo, MI

Great site with lots of helpful information!

karen Ingleside, TX

this company has changed my family tree. I have used this company for many years and always took pride at how they seemed to take pride in preserving the integrity of online family trees They went in and changed the layout without permission and gave me no choice. Also they changed the terms of service without ever making this known to subscribers Very dissapointed

trudi ramey High Springs, FL

I paid for this twice...no info found in either...my dad's family lived and died in n.y. state an conn....nothing was very upset to spend money on this program

mary lew Pottstown, PA

I signed up for it on a trial basis....found NOTHINg and then they kept taking money out of my account even after I said cancel...you offer a trial but then you keep taking out money when you had no right. A trial is a trial which means the ONLY way you should ever collect another cent is after that person said to go ahead.

Judy Saunders Bridgeport, CT

I began using Ancestry first around 20 years ago and have found more information about my family than I ever expected to. I've connected with family members I never knew from as far away as England. Ancestry is well worth the money!

Lauren Tanner Salt Lake City, UT

I love Ancestry.com. I use it all the time and really love the hints, resources and the set up. Thanks for all you do for us. It makes research easier.

Glenda Channel Kansas City, KS

I have been a subscriber to Ancestry since the very beginning and have generally found it to be excellent. However, the recent changes to the search function appear to have been implemented for the sole purpose of "looks" not for ease of use. Were any end users involved in this change????? Also, the print function is ridiculous. I have not seen printing like this (small picture in the middle of a full sized page) since the late 1980s when vendor software was in the early development stages. Is this printing problem because the new Ancestry is not compatible with Family Tree Maker (the software I use)? Sometimes changing for the sake of change (or appearing to change) is not as helpful as you might imagine.

David Mcalan Palm Harbor, FL

Recently Ancestry unveiled and "new" version of their web service. I has been a pure disaster. There are new challenges every day. These include problems with searches and results; changes in background colors and screens to make it modern looking, while damaging people's eyesight (it will be nice to read about the first law suit regarding damaged vision); lost data; a ridiculous new Lifestory page; Ancestry's manipulation of data, photos, and reports you have uploaded to Ancestry; truncated photographs, extra functions added to accomplish tasks that used to require one function... a very lengthy list of issues that they will not address (maybe 20+ out of hundreds reported), The lack of customer support as been astounding. Thousands of complaints have been posted on their Facebook pages and on their blogs, all to no avail. There has been absolutely NO apology issued by their upper management for all the problems they are causing their customers. They have become a monopoly, snapping up other companies that offered genealogical services, leaving us to deal with one big, faceless conglomerate. Their team of beta testers have become Facebook hyenas, attacking every dissenter who posts and unfavorable comment. My goal is to complete the project I started and get out of Dodge, and i am not alone in this sentiment. This has become a greedy business, with one goal in mind, more and more money And, ignoring customer demand, requests, suggestions, they are forging ahead with this loser application. Customer service be dammed.

betty amirault Melrose, MA

I loved Ancestry when I had it for years. But it is getting too expensive & I can't subscribe because of financial issues. I really miss using it especially when I want to look something up. So I have stopped genealogy for now & doing photography instead.

Charlotte Gogola Houston, TX

I've spent many pleasurable, fascinated hours on ancestry.com. I traced my ancestors back to English royalty, assuming the links that I borrowed from other people's trees are accurate. And that's the only gotcha on ancestry.com: you have to be careful whose links you adopt in your tree. Otherwise I have nothing but good things to say about ancestry, and they seem to be getting better with age.

Kathy Hughes Covington, LA

I have been with Ancestry since 2007 and really love it. Have found so many relatives I never knew I had. DO NOT like the new format at all and went back to the classic .. hopefully I can stay there.

Shirley Tomlin Lumberton, TX

Ancestry.Com is a great site for records but so is a free site, FamilySearch.org. However, a lot of people involved in genealogy feel their ads and promotions are very misleading. The recent one about checking your surname as it might show you are royalty. That is BS. Having a name of a royal house doesn't even indicate a person has royal ancestry. Also it should mention in the ads that family trees on Ancestry.Com are not records. A person should distinguish between subscriber submitted family trees and actual records. I saw where someone found her family going back to 1150 on Ancestry.Com. Poor dingbat. Ancestry.Ciom does not have records going back to 1150. That person took information from family trees which are full of errors. Now family trees on any website are not to be trusted until verified with records but when your ads show someone pointing to a family tree it makes it appear that is how a person finds their genealogy.

Shelly Thomas West Jordan, UT

I love Ancestry.com! My one and only complaint I have is each time I get on I wish that when you put down some information the company could stick with it! Or at least have it in alphabetical or numerical order for easier findings.

Carolyn Orr Sulphur Springs, TX

To expensive.

Nancy Winston Saint Paul, MN

Not fair that when putting in a specific name, ancestry.com will give you a TON of other names/info! Who cares about someone else's entry, I put in a name and that is ALL I want to see! I always think that they give the other unwanted stuff because otherwise people would constantly get "record not found" or some such thing. As it is, I would rather get nothing than the WRONG thing! Get with it, ancestry.com!! Give what is asked for only!!!!

gaineslsmith FL

I subscribed to Ancestry.com for years and love the site very much. I have my family trees on public member trees as I feel that I should share what I have found.I recommend Ancestry.com to any and everyone who is a serious family history researcher.

Michelle Crossville, TN

The service is rather expensive now that I added the premium services. I found valuable documents on Fold3. Never found anything usefully on the international search and will probably downgrade my service in the future. Also, I would like to see the ability to search specific criteria and not have to sort through millions of entries. For example if I am looking for a record in one state, I don't need to see possible records for other states. Even when I know there is info available and not being able to find it, is really frustrating.

christina gwynn Philipsburg, PA

This was great registered and did the free trial period for a project my niece was doing for school and ended up finding my great grandmothers true birth parents (she was adopted) and a second cousin just in that short period of time

Lindy Guilmart Milford, CT

You need a new web designer who can do simple in readable colors. I had a bad experience withh my DNA, I am french my great grandfather lived there and all the ancestors back as fdar as 1600 only married French. No French in my ancestry from you.

Susie Labry Hammond, LA

I love ancestry.com and have had it since 1999, when I created my tree and have been adding to it since then. Love their photos, stories, and citations. Very manipulative and love their technology, networking, and connectivity I love their leads and they do perform miracles and enabled me to do what I did. Their leaves are the most fascinating thing in the world to me. A great place to keep my records, history, stories, etc. It is beautiful. It is the best! Mary S. Susie Labry (Migneault dit Labrie)

Ruth Loughlin Hatboro, PA

Too much money. I only found a few things about my family and nothing on my Husbands side. I would not pay that much money when I can search else were and find what I need at a reasonable price.

Patricia Dowling Port Townsend, WA

A Long Time Member, Loved The Old Format---Very Unhappy With The New---Hard To Search, Enter Photo's ----All Around Big Mess----Please Let's Get Back Where We Can Read ,Look & Understand Our Family Tree--- Patricia L. Dowling

Barbara Cleveland, TN

I have been using Ancestry for 15+ years. Love it. Only one problem is search parameters sometimes don't come out in the order I would like. Not a big deal.

Ana Robledo Tarpon Springs, FL

I loved Ancestry. I have discovered amazing things through their website. However, they changed the format of the trees to " improve" them and mine is now a mess. My husband appears as married to his brother and I have disappeared. I hope they can fix the mess, otherwise it is now useless to me.

Marci Falls Sherwood, OR

I have been on Ancestry for some years now and have been very satisfied. However, the new format is horrible. It's too big so when you do a page print you only get half the information. It makes it impossible for research binders so when researching other sites and libraries you have needed information available. Please go back to the old format or fix this one. Please!!!

Peter Coyne Middletown, RI

I had amazing results during the years I was a member. Found and met an unknown cousin, my wife's half sister and brother that we had been searching for and relatives in Ireland and England who filled in missing info in my tree. Really enjoyed my research time but it just got too expensive.

Pam Chambers Norwalk, CA

The most comprehensive membership option has a hefty price tag of $199/annually.