Ancestry.com Logo

Jim Robinson Pinckney, MI

I found my Birth Father's family through Ancestry DNA!! They are wonderful We had a reunion just this Saturday. The new format is rather hard for me to use. The Data Base is amazing.

Jill Collier Red Oak, TX

Very affordable and have found tons of information for my husbands side of the family for his 92 yr old dad before he passed away. I did get very frustrated over not finding out what happened to his grandmother who I assume died around 1869 to 1870. The only records were of her growing up and getting married. We assumed she died giving child birth cause her husband re-married. I just want to know what happened to her. I am willing to give this site another shot. Ancestry will jump thru hoops to help you in every way!!

Pam Barton Kirksville, MO

I don't like new look too confusing and I have sent several messages about the poor transcribed census and other items I've learned to really find anything you have to go and look at actual images as so many times I have found names horribly butchered K turned in to H's J's into I's etc. If someone was looking for a family named King it will never show up as it is under Hing. I have found several of my ancestors under wrongly transcribed names and I try to correct them but do you correct all the ones you know that are wrong sometimes there is no place to correct a name and I'm not talking about the different ways a census taker spelled a name but if your are looking for a name like Sanaft and you find them spelled Janaft it will never come up on searches only looking thru the images yourself Sometimes I don't think the transcribers even tried which makes me believe if some one was looking and didn't find them they think they are not in that area but they are, just under a badly transcribed name

Barbara Galbraith Wellton, AZ

I don't like the new format, maybe because I have not had time to learn all about it.I will try again.

JILL Kaye Bikowski Fort Mill, SC

Lots of good information and when you call they are so very helpful. Their work is definitely a labor of love.

lynda crabill Palatka, FL

it is a very good tool with helping to find your ancestors. But getting out and seeing the real documents, graves sites and meeting any of them that are still alive is the only thing better.

CHRIS BUSCH Saint George, UT

I have used my" free two weeks" several times over the years, and just never could afford to subscribe until this year. I had to be ready to clear my calendar when i got it, because i knew i would binge, and lordy i do!! It is very expensive, and i am really curious about the price that some people here are mentioning. they must have bought in when it was much cheaper. I am hesitant to put my family tree here, because I don't know how long I can afford it, and i don't want to do all that work for nothing. I have found unknown relatives, and am in contact with three "cousins" on my dads side that were a total surprise. So it has been a fantastic resource, and it is better than anything else I have found out there. I have just about finished with my family here in the states, and then I need to save up to start working on Canadian, Irish and Scottish relatives!! One other issue, I tried the new format, and really disliked it. Thanks for giving me the option to switch back to the first one I was using. Far too much fluff on the new one.

Bonnie Carnegie, PA

FINALLY figured out how to post a photo - but cant find how to change a profile photo. It looks nice but too many changes - will take a while to get use to it. Prices for long time subscribers should be discounted if you want to keep us. When adding to a John why do all the John's come up without their dates? Wrong media and photos can get attached to wrong John!! Frustrating.

Thomas C Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been a member of ancestry.com for a few years now. I thoroughly enjoy utilizing this product. First, I have learned a great deal about my family tree. I've obtained a lot of valuable information via the U.S. Census, state census records (mostly from NY, NJ, and PA), military records. However, it is quite frustrating that death records are not available unless your purchase them (such as NY death certificates). Second, I've met many distant cousins via ancestry.com. We've exchanged information, as well as old family photos. This has been very exciting to catch up with relatives I never even knew or thought existed. I recently became acquainted with the new release of ancestry.com, which incorporates historical data into your family tree. This is an excellent feature, and a great addition to ancestry.com. However, where is the "share" on Facebook feature? It appears to be gone. I called the ancestry.com customer service number, and they were unable to assist me with locating the option to share my ancestry.com information on Facebook. In my view, this is a lost opportunity for free marketing and advertising for ancestry.com. Basically, I am happy with the ancestry.com product. Of course, as any novice genealogist, I hit dead ends in my researching efforts. However, the benefits far outweigh the costs and frustrations associated with this unique product.

Linbell Papillion, NE

I had great success connecting a family, most of whom did not know each other! I am hoping for more marriage records to be loaded. It sure helps with finding female ancestors.

Vicki Doetsch Belleville, IL

I accessed Ancestry thru my local library. I have done Genealogy since the Bicentennial year off and on. I am picky about accepting a potential ancestor. I like to do it with legal records. I must say- I was impressed with Ancestry. If I did not live near a Library that had their service, I would pinch pennies somewhere else and subscribe!

Motelgma Manchester, MD

When I started researching my family lines, Ancestry.com was wonderful and affordable. You had the option to re-new your subscription without counting off the days until it was over and having a sudden charge on your credit card! People used the service just to take a family name and adding their own bogus un-verified and un re-searched information too the name! Nothing that is public has is safe from the lazy researchers !!

Linda Smith Daytona Beach, FL

My mother passed away approximately 20 years ago and at that time, I didn't know of any living relatives that I had ever met or known. I was curious and so I tried Ancestry.com on the free trial basis. I could never find anyone this time, so I left a message asking that if anyone had any info regarding my mothers' family to please contact me - so I left my email. I waited but I never saw any response, so I gave up. Then 10 years later, my daughter got on Ancestry.com and put my mothers' name in and she saw my message along with a message from someone with information. She told me about it and so I got on it again - never found the message she was telling me about; however, I did come across something that opened the secret door. I contacted this person by email and gave some specifics about the family. She contacted me back and asked some questions that I answered. I hit the jackpot!! She gave me access to her family tree and when I got on it, I couldn't believe my eyes. I never saw so many relatives - from my Great Great Grandfather all the way down to 3rd cousins. I was able to contact one of my 2nd cousins that lived only 3 hrs from my home and we met for the very first time. I couldn't believe how much she and my mother resembled each other. From this point, I met her children and also drove up North to Vermont to meet other relatives at the Family Reunion they have every two years. I highly recommend Ancestry.com as it is very informative and easy to use.

Hugh Honea Centreville, VA

I have to call about every two weeks to get signed in,. You change my password for no reason and never notify me. I had to call again last night and the young lady could not help me. With my great grandmother I can not locate her parents. That's only going back to 1843. I am questioning if I should remain a customer. When I have to call your staff are very rude.

David MacRae Essex, MD

Ancestry is Ok but a customer like me can never get any real help from you unless he pays for it you never get an answer to any question that you have.and the price for most folks is 386.00 unless you have been there for 10 yrs like me I have never gotten an ANSWER to any question I have asked. Google has more ans to problems than you.

Denise Tornga Wyoming, MI

I was very surprised to find my family roots. We moved to a bedroom community in 1984 called Ada, and then 20 yrs later moved further out into the country to Vergennes Twnsp. I was given my Ancestry acct for my birthday. I found my GG Grandparents farm in Ada,not 1mi from my former home. They bought the property in 1860 from the Indians along the Grand River. I found my GGGGrandparents in Vergennes Twnsp, arriving in1852. Their farm is 2mi due west of my present home. When we moved here, I really felt as if I finally was home. Now I know why. There is so much history in this part of my family, I could go on and on. I was so proud to have come from such hard driven good people.

Nanci Hoover Edwardsville, IL

Great if you can afford it. But they are gobbling up other sites that used to be free and have reformatted rootsweb.com to the 'diggers' detriment. Cut the price drastically and i will renew. I had to go to a new operating system to continue to use it when i had a membership.I bought a DNA kit but now that i don't have a membership i can't follow up on that aspect of my search for kin.

Dana R Hyde Gloversville, NY

Over the past several years, I have seen where much of my Ancestry membership money has been going: Investment in the acquisition and cataloging of many newly available databases, and upgrades to the site's user interface that make it more useful and powerful by many orders of magnitude than was the case when I initially joined. While downtime can be occasionally annoying, they work hard to minimize inconveniences and maintain partial functionality during the outages. Some years ago I interviewed for employment with the company when they were doing a couple of data-collection projects in my region; although I wasn't chosen I enjoyed the opportunity to meet their representative face-to-face in NYC. While Ancestry is not inexpensive, they also do offer some less-comprehensive affiliated sites such as rootsweb.com that are free or at more nominal cost. While I've had a longtime interest in my dad's Canadian roots and my mom's Italian ones, I maintained my membership at the $68/yr US-Only level until I could afford to upgrade to global again this year. The opportunity to share research and collaborate with other members has opened new doors for me. I have also been able to meet cousins I had never previously known, and substantiate my family's claim to a small indirect inheritance three years ago. While I haven't yet joined their $99 DNA program, that opens possibilities and potential that I'm just starting to imagine.

eizizabeth tew Starkville, MS

found pricing exorbitant and terribly hard to find things. cancelled my membership as found it of NO value at all. Hours of searching and little or nothing found.

Roy Martin Auburn, IN

Very helpful in pursuing my genealogy, and has helpful hints on how to evaluate the data collected. By making new data available periodically, it is worth maintaining a membership. I also use the Family Tree Maker software, a product of Ancestry.com which interfaces well with the online version.

Norma Smallwood Landry Pensacola, FL

I was very impressed the first time I tried this site. I was able to see census records, my grandfather's military registration card; however, when I tried to sign up for the free trial, it would not accept me unless I provided the neam of a credit/debit card. Hey, you call that free?

Sharon Howell Colorado Springs, CO

I LOVE Ancestry.com! I have been able to trace my, and my husband's, line back to Charlemagne. I have first cousins I did not know were out there. I found that the stories I was told since I was a child of family coming over on the Mayflower are actually true! Not only that they're true, but my ancestor was one of the captains. We have had some financial problems with our business so I can't afford Ancestry right now, but I can't wait until I can renew my membership again. I've gotten LOTS of hints I want to see. Sharon Howell

Sue Vest Tyler, TX

I was able to find my moms father and the sisters and brothers she never knew she had because of this company. I have found a lot about my fathers moms side of the family and well really I have learned a great deal. I do think it is worth the money. To me it is sad to think that all those who I am a part of are forgotten. But they are important to me for with out them .... So it is great to find my way back in time and sort of meet with family.

Ellen Wallace

Ancestry is awesome! I have always had questions answered. The people there are understanding and very competent. I have recommended them many times. While it is a bit pricey, it is worth the price because of what they offer!

C. Bacon Ashland, WI

made changes in program without telling us how to use them? they want to sell books for you to learn rather than send questions via email?

Julie Grimm Pittsburgh, PA

Have used ancestry for a number of years, and discovered a lot about my ancestors. However, it seems like every time I or my sister go on the site, things in our tree are changed, like someone is messing around with it. One time, a whole branch was deleted. I complained, and we were able to restore it, but now we keep discovering errors and they were not made by us. Probably going to cut my losses and discontinue paying the exorbitant fees they charge.

Denise Tornga Wyoming, MI

I was able to find out so much more than I ever knew. I found my 3rd great grandparents on my Mom's side. I found how important this family was to the area and in history.

Vivian Mason Buford, GA

I'd rate the site much higher if the DNA tool was better. No way to compare genomes with individuals makes the DNA info almost useless. Many people with DNA have no tree so without a genome tracker, it's a dead end. The search engine is cumbersome and I get so many irrelevant records. Can't get anything when I use advanced searches.

Chris Albany, OR

The site has the most resources compared to other sites and generally has good customer service. The cost though is too much, with so many customers they could reduce the price by half and many more people would join. There are frequent problems with the website as well and they keep changing it around, and usually for the worst, which is annoying. Since many of the documents are difficult to read, you need to label who they are about so you now have to download each one since they all now have numbers instead of people names. That was the worst because it is a big waste of time to download all the files one by one.

Sandy Las Vegas, NV

I love Ancestry.com - I have used it for 10 years and will continue with it for as long as I am able to afford it. Ancestry has more information than any other site. I've been on lots of others, free and pay sites. None compare to Ancestry.com

jimmy conway Mayfield, KY

to expensive and after a while not much help

Marjorie A Schirmer CA

I have had so much fun and learned more about my family than I ever expected! Ancestry.com is such a great tool. I remember how excited I got when I found my great-great-Grandmother. It is such a thrill. I will give you a warning, this may be addictive. =) Have fun! Marg Schirmer

Virginia Barnett Mabelvale, AR

I love Ancestry.com for so many reasons. I have found so much on so many family members and found so many family members I had never heard about. There are so many ways and places you have the option to use. When I post photographs and someone copies it, I can check their site to see if they have something I did not have or know. I also have done the DNA and it has proven to be right on with my relatives. I am never bored because there is so much to do on Ancestry.

Glenda Channel Kansas City, KS

I think Ancestry has been a real boon to family research. They add more records all the time and it is so cost effective for me to use this instead of traveling around to various court houses. Although some might consider the cost too high, it only averages about $3.89 a week.

gracie s. hernandez apodaca Rio Rancho, NM

I found a lot of things about my family however, I need to find out more. My Mexican family immigration papers photo were very hard to see. I have some missing pieces that were from Mexico. I would love to view them. I only hope that Ancestry (since it is the only website of honorable ancestry findings) will include Mexico birth & baptisms perhaps. Plus my ancestry DNA of what specific Native tribes in my family. The price is high for someone like me. I hope they will someday give a lower price range.

Kathleen Washington, MO

I had a subscription prior to 2008 and I really loved their website. Now they have made so many changes to how they index the records that it is impossible to do an exact search. I have never and would never rely on the trees people add indiscriminately to the website. My biggest complaint now is there lousy search engine. The results it returns are mostly irrelevant and require extra time to sort through. If you filter the search you get no results at all. I am glad I am not wasting my money on Ancestry.com any more..

Sue Mulberry, FL

I have used Ancestry.com for about 25 years. The improvements over the years have been fantastic for researching. I also teach Researching your Family History and use Ancestry as my main tool to research. Thank you for all the work that goes into putting all those records and information on your website. I have recommended Ancestry to many people to help them with their family search.

Connie C. Madray Darien, GA

I've been a member for quite a few years and use it extensively. I don't think the fee is high for what I get from the information.

Patricia Davidson Nashville, TN

A couple of years ago I would have given a 9 or 10 rating, but things were changed and the site is a mess to use. If I put in a name, birthdate, place of birth, etc. - I might get that name on top of the list and it might be a hundred or so down the list with totally unrelated names in between, all mixed up. We no longer have the little "magnifying glass" that was so useful in identifying numbers and letters. In the past year and 4 months we have had Ancestry there has not been one thing I could use added - it's all England, Australia, obscure items from the US - I'm happy for the people who can use those things, but would like to have something new for Tennessee, Alabama, Arkansas and a few other Southern states. If my husband wants to renew the end of this year, ok - for me, I don't think so.

Janann27 Wood River, IL

I feel like the hints are ANNOYING, most of what I get now are hints to Find a Grave that I put in. Also, I bought the international one year in hopes of finding my paternal great x2 grandparents. Never found them and the few hints I added for my maternal great x2 grandparents is inaccessible now. I already had some info on them but wish I would have printed it out. I have been a member for quite a few years. A few years ago was told I would save $50.00 if I renewed, which I did but never saved the money, when I called it was basically too bad so sad.

Elizabeth Hancock Sparks, NV

wishing that YOU had family rates, can't afford to have all family member's working on the family line. Plus some of your hints do not erase once you add them, also many hints are repeated over and over, and they haven't been verified

Judy Gray Port Charlotte, FL

I like it. I enjoy it. But it does no good to rate it when I cannot afford to use it. Even as a gift it is too expensive for my children to buy a membership for me.

J A Lesich Charlottesville, VA

Ancestry.com is expensive and their pricing may be out of reach for some. The most comprehensive membership option has a hefty price tag of $199/annually. Having been a member since 2000 I was surprised that my fee was so much higher than new members. I was charged $299.40 and that does not cover all the services provided by ANCESTRY. There are sites that are absolutely FREE and proclaim to remain so forever. I'm not sure that ANCESTRY can continue to compete.

Albert G. Krohn Fontana, CA

Most everything I look for I've been able to find.

Anne Hornbeck Flat Rock, MI

Since finding Ancestry.com I feel very fulfilled. I love knowing exactly who I am and where I came from. I feel connected to people that I would have loved to have known and I feel them with me everyday. I feel like a whole other world has been opened up for me and I am very grateful.

Carol Ryan Cannon Chaffee, MO

Ancestry is the best website I have found. So much good stuff on it!!!!

Linda Sparks Phoenix, AZ

I have been using Ancestry for years. however I am searching for another provider that will not be as full of frustrations. Since FTM 14 I have not been able to keep a single tree in synch and sometimes my FTM tree flips over to an ancestry tree. Load times as horrible, backing up to an external device is impossible and the cost has become ridiculous. How I wish they hadn't gone so downhill.

Meg Wheatley Forestville, CA

I've found many errors on the Census Records, given the correct information, and received the thank you e-mail. The errors, in my opinion are unwanted, if I can see them then the operator should be able to see them. I'm also am looking at cancelling next year the cost is getting to be outrageous. There is no Senior Discount offered, lets face it after being a member for so many years a loyalty discount should be extended.

steve Rancho Santa Margarita, CA

Ellisisland.org was free and I got information but now it is expensive. I realize it takes funding to operate but I can't afford it any more.

Bonnie Smith Franklin, OH

I love Ancestry.com!! Have been using their site since 1997 when I first became interested in researching my ancestors. The site is easy to navigate. One caution is sometimes it will give you the same info 2 or mores times and before you know it you have added one person three times so I find myself erasing as fast as I add at times. I love the way they can add lots of dates with the click of a button! You need to weigh the accuracy of family trees because sometimes the info is not corredt. But overall it is my very favorite genealogy site to use!!