Contact A Company$100 Satisfaction Guarantee keyboard_arrow_right

Ancestry.com

Ancestry.com Logo

Ancestry.com

Subscription Fee: $19.99

Ancestry.com boasts the biggest name recognitions in the family history field. This company, with headquarters in Utah and offices worldwide, has been the leader in delivering cutting-edge products to its subscribers since 1983. The early days of Ancestry were spent as a publishing company specializing in publishing family histories and magazines. In 1996, the digitization and online publishing of records began and Ancestry.com became a leader in digital records available for genealogical purposes.

The Good

• Records
  • Mobile app
  • Publishing options

Ancestry.com is perhaps the biggest name in genealogy work and for good reason. Some highlights include:

• Billions of records available to search from
    • Ability to upload images, documents and attach them to family trees
    • Mobile app works on all platforms
    • Relevant blog articles giving up-to-date information
    • Social Media presence with helpful tips and useful research information: Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Instagram, Pinterest, Tumblr
    • Instructional YouTube videos for beginners as well as more advanced research tips to more seasoned genealogists
    • Community message boards and opportunities to collaborate with others sharing common ancestors
    • Comprehensive learning center
    • Differing levels of membership based upon your individual needs
    • Customer service representatives available 7 days per week from 9AM-11PM Eastern Time
    • Publishing options for your findings
    • Software and books available
    • Industry-leading software which is easy to use
    • Ancestry.com DNA tests are cutting edge and link members to their ethnic backgrounds, but to relatives also taking the tests. Adopted individuals have flocked to take these tests and many have found their birth families through Ancestry.com DNA matching.

The Bad

• Pricing
  • Load time

Ancestry.com is expensive and their pricing may be out of reach for some. The most comprehensive membership option has a hefty price tag of $199/annually.

Pages can be slow to load, depending on the traffic on the site. Additionally, there are regular late-night upgrades to the service which make the site inaccessible at those times. (The times and dates for updates are published on the site as a bar across the top of pages.)

The Bottom Line

For those able to afford an Ancestry.com membership, the quantity and quality of what is available surpasses the records by the for-profit competition in the field. Ancestry.com is a solid company with the resources to back up their claims and is constantly looking for new ways to innovate and stay on top of the competition. We recommend Ancestry.com and are confident they will help with your genealogy needs.

When purchasing a membership and setting up an account, setting privacy options can be tricky. One should explore the privacy policies very carefully and determine which settings are appropriate for their needs. Maintaining more private settings make collaboration more challenging (even impossible in some cases), so this information should be carefully considered.

3.7

Tyree Newkirk
January 16th, 2019 Cedar Fort, UT

I was really excited to actually try and use this to find what my family is but to be honest they make you think it’s all for free but then once you sign up for everything they ask you to pay so I was really upset!

MaKayla Christiansen
January 16th, 2019 Provo, UT

Ancestry helped me track my genealogy in just a few steps. It was super helpful and had a lot of information that I didn’t know about my ancestors.

Annie Orr
January 16th, 2019 Provo, UT

My family and I have loved using ancestry.com together to find our family and learn more about our genealogy! It's an amazing site that is simple to use and effective in finding people!

Madalyn Johnson
January 15th, 2019 Provo, UT

Ancestry.com is the best place for finding out more about your family history! It is very easy, simple and user friendly too!

Shayla Hankins
January 10th, 2019 Lehi, UT

Ancestry helped me find not only who my ancestors were, but where they came from and where they died. It also showed me pictures of them and their tombstones. Ancestry let me know what my genealogy was to the smallest percentage.

Hailey Nilson
January 4th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

Ancestry.com has completely changed my life. My mom and I were interested to see where we came from, and with a little research we found out some incredible things about our family. The program is easy to use and so much fun!

Kymberlee Yack
January 3rd, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

My family loves ancestry. We've been using them for years. It's helped us locate other long distance members of our family. I also did the DNA kit and it was so interesting to see where I originate from.

R. Wilkes
December 21st, 2018 Memphis, TN DETAILS

Poor shipment delivery service. Purchased two DNA kits from Ancestry.com who uses UPS to pickup and deliver shipment to destination city. At destination city, UPS transfers the shipment to USPS for home delivery. That logistical hand-off proves to be inefficient and can add days to final delivery time. As for my shipment, UPS delivered it to the correct city but the wrong post office location. Instead of transferring the shipment to the correct local post office for delivery, USPS forwarded the shipment to another city 200 miles away for a delivery date 3 days later! Yes, USPS shipped it 200 miles away, to ship it back 200 miles for delivery. Genius! When I called Ancestry.com the customer service rep told me that this was a USPS issue, not Ancestry.com. I purchased the DNA kit from Ancestry.com, who selected this UPS/USPS tandem for its delivery option. So, yes, this IS an Ancestry.com issue. So, please lower your standards and expectations for shipment delivery from Ancestry.com/UPS/USPS. I would suggest exploring 23 & Me who may have a better shipment and delivery process. P.S. I asked the customer service rep if by chance my order does not arrive within the delivery window outlined by Ancestry.com could I cancel my order for a refund. She said, yes, but there would be a $25 restock fee. What? As the customer I have to pay a fee for Ancestry.com's/UPS/USPS mistake and poor logistics model? In good faith, I cannot recommend Ancestry.com to a friend based on its poor delivery and customer service (deflection of the problem onto USPS).

Katie Marz
December 19th, 2018 Orem, UT

I have had such a good experience on ancestry.com. I love that they send you little packets to get your dna and then you can find out exactly your heritage. So fun to spend a lot of time on.

Autumn Kallunki
December 19th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

I have been able to find out a lot about my genealogy through them. I typically recommenced them to friends for genealogy and I've had a good experience.

Carl Weil
December 20th, 2018 Elizabeth, CO DETAILS

Each of Ancestry's very late reply's starts out "our apology" unbelievably it goes down hill from there three months Five broken promises to fix, expedite and get me a report- still noting but apologies and more broken promises! "the sample was not usable" "we forgot to send you a replacement" "we will expedite and rush your report" [days after promised date and still nothing] Horrible- go else where

Tanner Cook
December 17th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I got my mom a six-month ancestry membership for her birthday, and since then her and I have been addicted to tracing back our family tree and see as far back as it goes. It’s really cool to see where my family is come from, and this was well worth it!

Jorden Laird
December 12th, 2018 Front Royal, VA DETAILS

I first signed up for ancestry because I was adopted and wanted to learn a little bit more about myself. I ended up finding extending family and information from my adopted family. The family tree feature has been SO MUCH FUN to use.

arlan kickbush
December 11th, 2018 Colesburg, IA DETAILS

had my dna tested and was was surprised to see 64% of my dna came from great britain . now you have changed it to 10% GB. THIS IS SO CALLED DNA. this is too big of a flip flop to take. don't believe a thing you say. arlan kickbush

Mildred Carter
December 11th, 2018 Woodbridge, VA DETAILS

Ancestry is REALLY cool, just because of the built in family tree tool. I literally traced my father's side back generations in the span of a day. The documents, the birth records - it's all fascinating, especially from a history standpoint.

Melinda
December 10th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Ancestry has been very helpful in filling gaps in my family tree. I appreciate the many documents that I can access through ancestry. I find the site easy to understand and navigate.

Erin
December 10th, 2018 American Fork, UT

fairly nice way to find your ancestors. i got a little confused with the lay but i ended up understanding and finding my family has never been easier.

Cori Jacobsen Ollerton
December 10th, 2018 Alpine, UT DETAILS

The DNA kits are a wonderful gift. I purchased them for my entire family. It was educational as well as a fun family event. Our results were surprising as well.

Grant
December 10th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I use Ancestry to store my family genealogy research. I love the ease of navigating the website, and the different ways that my family tree can be formatted.

Hadley
December 10th, 2018 American Fork, UT

It has a really nice feature where it lets you look at other people's family trees, which is very helpful when I do my family history.

Samuel
December 10th, 2018 Alpine, UT

Ancestry.com is a great service. It helps you find your relatives and people who you never even knew existed. I would highly suggest trying it out. It's easy to use and you're sure to love it so give it a try.

Shawn
December 10th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Ancestry is a great company for genealogy. Their platform is friendly and easy to use. I have worked on and viewed my family tree a few times. I also like their genetic testing and just sent off a package to see where family origins are from.

HLG
December 5th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Great product. I use Family Search for my family tree, but we used these guys for a DNA test. It basically confirmed what we already knew which was nice.

Nancy L.
December 6th, 2018 Sandy, UT DETAILS

I have visited Ancestry.com many times and always found them easy to access, full of valuable information and always available. I highly recommend them!

Kate Gregson
December 3rd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

This service has connected my family with so many more family members who we were not even aware of. I recommend this service to anyone looking to be more connected with their family members and their heritage.

Jobie Goodro
November 30th, 2018 Orem, UT DETAILS

Love Ancestry! Great way to learn about my history and connect with my ancestors and relatives. Easy to do genealogy and see what other have done as well.

Katie Kearney
November 29th, 2018 Vienna, VA DETAILS

My sister and I did this and it was so cool to learn about our ancestry! There were so many things we did not know and I was amazed how much information they were able to send! If you haven't done this yet, I highly recommend it!

Shane
November 26th, 2018 Alpine, UT

Ancestry.com has a well organized website. They have setup everything so that it is easy to access and update information about your ancestors. Very helpful site!

Justin
November 26th, 2018 Alpine, UT

Ancestry.com may be a little bit confusing at first, but once you get a hang of it, you can do so much on it. It holds so much information about people's ancestors which can be very hard to find. It is also very well organized!

Rischelle Mikkelson
November 15th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Such a grey oroduct and so many resources. It makes searching for my ancestors easy and joyful. Their DNA testing is fun and helps with research.

Rachel B
November 6th, 2018 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS

I’d recommend this website to anyone, easy and quick to use and very informational on my ancestors.

Nathan hanzel
November 6th, 2018 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS

Ancestry has a lot of helpful third-party software that you can use to help find who is in your family!

Cody Enslow
November 5th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

They have a good website that can be navigated easily which is good for their demographic.

Randal hyde
November 2nd, 2018 Springfield, MO DETAILS

Ancestry is easy to use, provides a helpful service that everyone can use and can help you find your relatives. I would highly recommend if you are interested in family history.

Melanie Curtis
November 1st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

We have access to Ancestry.com through our membership in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. It is amazing and easy to use to research our ancestors. Love it

Mary
November 1st, 2018 West Jordan, UT DETAILS

I've used Ancestry.com many times before and have always been impressed with their reservoir of information

Maya Lewis
October 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I love being able to research and connect with my ancestors through Ancestry.com. They have so many amazing tools and resources all available at your fingertips.

Angela Nelson
October 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I use Ancestry along with FamilySearch.org to do all my family history. Ancestry has a great collection of records and is always adding more. Also, I did the Ancestry DNA kit and I love having links to new relatives. I am still trying to put all the pieces together, but I am now in contact (messaging through Ancestry) with so many new relatives I never knew I had.

Brinly Harward
October 30th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

It has been so cool to be able to take DNA tests to see where my lineage comes from. And I can just do the test at home and send in the results so it makes it very beneficial for me.

Irene Anders
October 29th, 2018 Folsom, CA DETAILS

Love this site. It is quite expensive but has many positives. You can create your own tree and control access to other people. It provides hints for more information and documentation. Invaluable if you are in to searching for ancestors.