Ancestry.com boasts the biggest name recognitions in the family history field. This company, with headquarters in Utah and offices worldwide, has been the leader in delivering cutting-edge products to its subscribers since 1983. The early days of Ancestry were spent as a publishing company specializing in publishing family histories and magazines. In 1996, the digitization and online publishing of records began and Ancestry.com became a leader in digital records available for genealogical purposes.

FamilySearch.org chevron_right
Find a Grave chevron_right

The Good

• Records
  • Mobile app
  • Publishing options

Ancestry.com is perhaps the biggest name in genealogy work and for good reason. Some highlights include:

• Billions of records available to search from
    • Ability to upload images, documents and attach them to family trees
    • Mobile app works on all platforms
    • Relevant blog articles giving up-to-date information
    • Social Media presence with helpful tips and useful research information: Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Instagram, Pinterest, Tumblr
    • Instructional YouTube videos for beginners as well as more advanced research tips to more seasoned genealogists
    • Community message boards and opportunities to collaborate with others sharing common ancestors
    • Comprehensive learning center
    • Differing levels of membership based upon your individual needs
    • Customer service representatives available 7 days per week from 9AM-11PM Eastern Time
    • Publishing options for your findings
    • Software and books available
    • Industry-leading software which is easy to use
    • Ancestry.com DNA tests are cutting edge and link members to their ethnic backgrounds, but to relatives also taking the tests. Adopted individuals have flocked to take these tests and many have found their birth families through Ancestry.com DNA matching.

The Bad

• Pricing
  • Load time

Ancestry.com is expensive and their pricing may be out of reach for some. The most comprehensive membership option has a hefty price tag of $199/annually.

Pages can be slow to load, depending on the traffic on the site. Additionally, there are regular late-night upgrades to the service which make the site inaccessible at those times. (The times and dates for updates are published on the site as a bar across the top of pages.)

The Bottom Line

For those able to afford an Ancestry.com membership, the quantity and quality of what is available surpasses the records by the for-profit competition in the field. Ancestry.com is a solid company with the resources to back up their claims and is constantly looking for new ways to innovate and stay on top of the competition. We recommend Ancestry.com and are confident they will help with your genealogy needs.

When purchasing a membership and setting up an account, setting privacy options can be tricky. One should explore the privacy policies very carefully and determine which settings are appropriate for their needs. Maintaining more private settings make collaboration more challenging (even impossible in some cases), so this information should be carefully considered.

4.0

Dawn N

April 1st, 2020 Thatcher, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Seems like the largest supply of historical records in the world. I've been able to turn so many corners and find lost family members. Not only by searching those records but by the DNA results and linking. Ancestry is absolutely a must in family research.

Gerald Hays

March 26th, 2020 Layton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ancestry is good about sending me a lot of hints to additional ancestors. I have found a lot of information through them.

Karen Torino

March 10th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ancestry helped me figure out where older generations of my family are from and what makes up who I am. It was interesting seeing how far back my Italian lineage goes. Website is nice if you want to find out a little more about yourself.

Kiara Howard

March 9th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ancestry.com allowed me to learn more about my heritage and I am so great full. If it wasn’t for this site, I wouldn’t have known multiple things about my origin so I am glad I joined this site.

Rocio Diaz

March 9th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Not meant for people of color or ancestry anywhere else but the US & select parts of Europe. Would not recommend if you are ethnically diverse.

Logan Hudson

March 8th, 2020 Norcross, GA

Ancestry.com is a very lengthy website to find information about ancestors. And it costs a good bit of money.

Josh Harold

March 8th, 2020 Dallas, TX

I tried using this to find out more about my ancestors through my last name but it didn’t have anything even though my last name is pretty common.

Alexa Pitre

March 8th, 2020 New Orleans, LA

I love ancestry.com!!! It made it so easy to find out who I am related to!!! Very user friendly.

kaylee

March 7th, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT

They are difficult to use. It was hard to find my family tree, and it seemed like everything I wanted to do required me to pay. Not worth it.

Linda Hays

March 7th, 2020 Pocatello, ID DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I really like Ancestry but they are very expensive. But the hints you get are fun and helpful

Brayden Ibert

March 7th, 2020 Houston, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I used Ancestry.com to find out my background and it was so easy! The website was very simple to understand and when they sent me everything to do it all the instructions were very clear. I’m so glad I used Ancestry.com

OwenE.

March 7th, 2020 Norcross, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Me and my mother researched this website for a bout a year and found some undiscovered family in Georgia and we now have kept in touch with them ever since.

Anita pea

March 7th, 2020 Dallas, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ancestry.com was awesome for finding my heritage. The program was easy and the on call service were kind and their pricing was amazing.

Sophilino

March 7th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

It's a great app if your family is European/American. As a Latin American woman, there is literally no information here about my family at all. I went in so excited only for it to basically tell me that I just poofed into existed.

Donald Morgan

March 4th, 2020 Baton Rouge, LA

A complete cash grab. It said I was Italian and my family records proved it wrong numerous times.

Zabsanti

March 2nd, 2020 New Orleans, LA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

ancestry.com is an amazing website because it uses fold 3 and military data to find previous family members. I was able to find my grandfather's history in the American civil war through the website.

Randi Nelson

March 1st, 2020 Managua, MN

Ancestry.com is awesome when looking into information of relatives. The only downside is that you have to pay to get certain features.

MaryAnn Hagblom

February 27th, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Fun finding family names. I’m older and struggle with many websites. Their website was easy to navigate:)

Tiffany I

February 27th, 2020 Elkridge, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My entire family did this for Christmas. Such a great concept and thorough research. Would recommend.

take7

February 26th, 2020 Sandy, UT

Excellent place to find your roots and explore your family tree. Does take a bit of time and money for subscriptions but if that's what you're into like I am then it is worth it. Sharing information across accounts and devices is easy and manageable. The interface is informational and helps you fill in missing links and information in your family tree. Gets pricey fast if you're looking to stick with it long term.

DeeDee G.

February 25th, 2020 Norcross, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

It's a little bit of a sketchy website and can be hard to use at first. Plus it is pretty darn expensive. Might want to do extra research before you try it out.

Fife32

February 25th, 2020 Managua, MN

I love Ancestry.com. It is such a easy to navigate website and it has helped me so much to find the things I need from my family.

Cade Boudreaux

February 23rd, 2020 , FL

Me and my family decided to try Ancestry a couple of years ago. It was amazing to see our family in such a massive place. Thanks to Ancestry I’m able to know my entire bloodline!

Adria

February 22nd, 2020 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I’ve used this several times in looking up family history. Always able to find lots of interesting information about my family

Dette

February 21st, 2020 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

At age 67, my husband found out that his dad is not biological father. His world has been turned upside down but he has found 5 new siblings. He waa completely shocked by the news. Be prepared for the unexpected!

Jacobrobot321

February 21st, 2020 Folsom, LA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My grandparents and I use this to find out our origins and figure out just which branch of the world we’re from. We’re cajun, so of course we would have a lot of french!

Jami Lucas

February 21st, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I got into genealogy recently and have lived the information I found through this website.

Jaci Rhoades

February 20th, 2020 Arlington, TX

Ancestry is only great if you have family members that have registered before you. Then they can link up your family. I did the free trial. I hate that I had to create an account...one more thing in my spam now.

Kaitlyn Rios

February 20th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ancestry.com is probably the best, most comprehensive genealogy service out there. They have data, records and info that no other service can provide at great prices. Their platform is easy to use and explore.

Poundesk

February 19th, 2020 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ancestry.com is one of the best family history websites I've used. It led to finding several ancestors I didn't even know about. It is very user friendly. Super easy to sign up and navigate. I would highly recommend it.

JR Suguturaga

February 17th, 2020 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The online process is smooth and the records available are vast. Customer service has been a positive as well.

Lorna Johnston

February 17th, 2020 West Valley City, UT

Ancestry is a good genealogy site. I am looking forward to using it more as my experience is somewhat limited but it has been really good so far.

Kbr

February 13th, 2020 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love how ancestry.com and family search work together to combine their efforts for you. I use both equally.

Shane Russell

February 12th, 2020 Fort Worth, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The DNA kit is easy and intuitive and the platform makes it easy to see where my ancestors came from.

Cumorah

February 12th, 2020 Washington, UT

Ancestory is awesome. It works well and has great information to help with research

David T

February 10th, 2020 Draper, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ancestry.com is the best genealogy company out there. Great products, great customer service.

Audrey Mitchell

February 10th, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ancestry has so many resources and documents to use because of their large database. The only trouble is in order to have all the features, you have to purchase the yearly membership

Bailey Wilson

February 9th, 2020 Lubbock, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Sending in my dna was easy. I should not have to pay more to link up with my family though.

Nikki Zimmerman

February 9th, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We did this as a whole for our entire family for Christmas and it was so fun to get back everyone’s detailed reports and go over them together. Such an exciting thing to learn about you and family members and where we all came from.

Sandra Douglas

February 9th, 2020 Evanston, WY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love, love, love it! I have been a member for 18 years. I have been able to find lots of family information.

Jillaine Clark

February 8th, 2020 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I did my kit through ancestry.com and it was great! It was so easy to do, no hassle and so fun to see where I'm from!

Mickey Wilson

February 8th, 2020 Sacramento, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

When you do a dna test from ancestry you have an option to turn the genealogy on and connect with other people who have done the dna tests, plus it is very easy to make family trees

Camille

February 8th, 2020 Lynnwood, WA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

A great tool for doing genealogy work and family history. Easy to use and get help.

Erika Douglas

February 8th, 2020 Cedar Fort, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like that I can see things that other people have done, and make connections with family. I have never met. My children enjoy seeing the pictures people have uploaded.

Jesse Rice

February 7th, 2020 Biloxi, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I was able to track my family tree and found out thing I never knew about them. It was very eye opening.

Bryndie

February 6th, 2020 Managua, MN

Such an awesome way to do genealogy. The site is fairly simple to understand and even if yuh get confused there’s plenty of “hints” to help you along the way.

kayshel

February 6th, 2020 Herriman, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ancestry is the second site that I use in connection with Family History -- they have a lot of information available to help in searching your family history.

Eddie Rios

February 5th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ancestry.com is the leader in genealogy programs. It provides with in depth results that change the game. I have been so impressed with level of detail, that no other service comes close. Relevant info and documents are a real treasure when doing this kind of research. And Ancestry.com does it best!

[email protected]

February 5th, 2020 Midvale, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Wonderful site for research in finding your ancestors all ng with their records and stories.

Christyan Bennett

February 5th, 2020 New Orleans, LA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ancestry.com was so fast with my results it impressed me. I sent it in and it came back so fast it was amazing. They gave me a full evaluation of everything I was and was very accurate. Recommend to anyone!!