Ancestry.com

Ancestry.com Logo

Ancestry.com

Subscription Fee: $19.99

Ancestry.com boasts the biggest name recognitions in the family history field. This company, with headquarters in Utah and offices worldwide, has been the leader in delivering cutting-edge products to its subscribers since 1983. The early days of Ancestry were spent as a publishing company specializing in publishing family histories and magazines. In 1996, the digitization and online publishing of records began and Ancestry.com became a leader in digital records available for genealogical purposes.

The Good

• Records
  • Mobile app
  • Publishing options

Ancestry.com is perhaps the biggest name in genealogy work and for good reason. Some highlights include:

• Billions of records available to search from
    • Ability to upload images, documents and attach them to family trees
    • Mobile app works on all platforms
    • Relevant blog articles giving up-to-date information
    • Social Media presence with helpful tips and useful research information: Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Instagram, Pinterest, Tumblr
    • Instructional YouTube videos for beginners as well as more advanced research tips to more seasoned genealogists
    • Community message boards and opportunities to collaborate with others sharing common ancestors
    • Comprehensive learning center
    • Differing levels of membership based upon your individual needs
    • Customer service representatives available 7 days per week from 9AM-11PM Eastern Time
    • Publishing options for your findings
    • Software and books available
    • Industry-leading software which is easy to use
    • Ancestry.com DNA tests are cutting edge and link members to their ethnic backgrounds, but to relatives also taking the tests. Adopted individuals have flocked to take these tests and many have found their birth families through Ancestry.com DNA matching.

The Bad

• Pricing
  • Load time

Ancestry.com is expensive and their pricing may be out of reach for some. The most comprehensive membership option has a hefty price tag of $199/annually.

Pages can be slow to load, depending on the traffic on the site. Additionally, there are regular late-night upgrades to the service which make the site inaccessible at those times. (The times and dates for updates are published on the site as a bar across the top of pages.)

The Bottom Line

For those able to afford an Ancestry.com membership, the quantity and quality of what is available surpasses the records by the for-profit competition in the field. Ancestry.com is a solid company with the resources to back up their claims and is constantly looking for new ways to innovate and stay on top of the competition. We recommend Ancestry.com and are confident they will help with your genealogy needs.

When purchasing a membership and setting up an account, setting privacy options can be tricky. One should explore the privacy policies very carefully and determine which settings are appropriate for their needs. Maintaining more private settings make collaboration more challenging (even impossible in some cases), so this information should be carefully considered.

3.8

Alexander Miropolsky
March 13th, 2019 Westford, MA DETAILS

1. Pretty expensive 2. DNA results are so broad, so meaningless 3. Databases very limited 4. Customer service awful

Bambi Lynn
March 5th, 2019 DETAILS

For the most part ok. Search engines are frustating

SHERRY K HASTY
February 26th, 2019 DETAILS

Love this company. Finding ancestors and ancestors of friends has been a simple proces..

divan
February 19th, 2019 Chino, CA DETAILS

I ordered a DNA kit to be sent to a cousin in Washington however the kit was sent to me instead (at the billing address). The order status info on Ancestry and my confirmation email clearly states the correct shipping address. I spoke with Kimberly at Ancestry who stated this has happened in the past. She apologized but stated if I wanted my cousin to receive the kit, I'd have to send it to her. I asked to have a shipping label sent to me, but was told they don't provide those. Really? Ancestry ships a DNA kit to the wrong address and it's the consumer's responsibility to forward it to the correct address??? I'd already been charged $9.95 by Ancestry to ship the test, but now they expect me to pay additional shipping fees? I asked Kimberly for the address to Ancestry headquarters. When she asked why, I informed her I planned to file a complaint. She provided Ancestry.com/Support saying I would find the info there. I explained that I'd already read that page and it didn't have any contact info for the company. Her comment? "that's all I'm allowed to give". If you look on Ancestry.com you'll notice there is NO contact information whatsoever. Apparently they want you to pay exorbitant fees for membership but don't want those members to ask for assistance - even when they're the cause of the problem.

Christy Suguturaga
February 13th, 2019 Orem, UT

I have not used this product but I plan too. I am hoping to wait until they get a larger Polynesian database. I think it’s a little pricey for enough Polynesians to do it. I don’t like that when I look at the results and it just shows a general region. So some day when those regions can be more specific we will give it a try.

Londyn Berrett
February 13th, 2019 American Fork, UT

I haven’t used ancestry a lot. It is super fun to find out more about your part and where your ancestors are from. It is also a super simple website to use.

Jonas De Olveira
February 13th, 2019 American Fork, UT

I have really got into family history lately. Ancestry.com is an excellent tool for helping me find information on my relatives. They have access to a lot of records, which has been very helpful in connecting all the dots.

Jason Brown
February 13th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

Hands down the best site to do family history research. Their census records are better than any other site I've used. The images they upload are also crystal clear.

S Suguturaga
February 13th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

This is a great product for my genealogy needs and the company does provide sufficient customer support.

Brian Scott
February 13th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

I'm so thankful Ancestry.com helped me fill in some missing parts of my family tree. It connected me with a second cousin I didn't know I had and now we are close friends!

wayne sanders
February 12th, 2019 Valley Center, CA DETAILS

Ancestry is one of my go to sites for genealogy. This site is easy to navigate and has always been full of information that is pertinent to what and who I am looking for. I have also come up with names that I wasnt even aware that they were connected to me. I feel like the site is always updated and full of new names to discover each time I visit it.

Nathan Hill
February 12th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I just did a DNA test with Ancestry in the last few months and I have really enjoyed going back and looking at all my matches and learning more about where I am from. This is an easy to use software and product and I look forward to using it more.

Amanda Olsen
February 12th, 2019 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS

Love using Ancestry.com to locate and create our family history. Easy to navigate website along with the tools and ideas to help you along the journey.

Lindsey B
February 12th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

Great service especially for the price. The website is very easy to navigate and use. You can quickly find out things about your ancestors that you may have otherwise never known. If you have any questions their website FAQ's are very helpful and customer service is always willing to help also. I would recommend to anyone looking to know more about their ancestry.

Jeff Blackett
February 12th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

Ancestry is an amazing website to research your genealogy. They offer the most resources for anyone looking to get into genealogy and they make it very easy. I have really enjoyed finding out things that I didn't know before about my ancestors. The pricing is awesome and the service is even better.

Cristiana
February 12th, 2019 Orem, UT

Ancestry.com changed my life. Once my family and I start to use this company we were able to find a lot of family members. People that works in this company are super friendly and really understand all the big deal of the company idea. Never paid for used and always had a great experience.

Steve Anderson
February 12th, 2019 Lindon, UT DETAILS

I have used Ancestry.com for several years now and I am 100% head over heals in love with this company. They have literally changed my world. They offer two different services. First, they are am AMAZING record collections service. I use Ancestry in conjunction with FamilySearch. The two of them can help me find almost anything. I have extended my ancestral lines back many generations because of Ancestry.com The second service they offer is their DNA testing services. Doing my own family research, I found out that me and my 8 brothers and sisters are not the biological children of the man who raised us. Yes, that was a real shocker to all of us. Through the use of AncestryDNA, I was able to locate the families of all but 2 of us 9 children. This is a truly amazing company. By the way, their customer support is great. They were so helpful and pleasant to work with.

Brennan
February 12th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

Cool website and service. I have absolutely loved using Ancestry.com to look into my family genealogy. The website is very self explanatory and you quickly find yourself becoming a pro due to the ease of use. I would highly recommend using Ancestry.com for anyone interested in genealogy!

JAKE
February 11th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I have used Ancestry.com multiple times. It was very helpful for researching our family tree. We also used it for a church youth group activity. It was a lot of help using Ancestry.com to help them find information about their geneology. Sometimes it can be a little difficult to navigate the website. It did take some getting used to.

Sophie
February 11th, 2019 American Fork, UT

Ancestry is a good product that is always improving and takes its users into consideration. The people who work there are really nice too.

David M Rose
February 11th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I bought an Ancestry kid for my wife for Christmas. The process of setting up an account as a gift was easy. The product was received quickly and in time for the holidays.

Lindsey A Brown
February 8th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

Ancestry.com is such an excellent way to learn about and search family history. Lots of great information can be found and stored for the future. I have really enjoyed searching for my ancestors and get so excited when I come across someone who I've been looking for.

Zack
February 8th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

Ancestry is an awesome way to do your family history. With a little practice you will be doing genealogy in no time!

Brody B
February 7th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

Awesome, interesting, informational and addicting! If you haven't researched your genealogy you are missing out. Ancestry is the leader in the market and have the most options and functionality. I have absolutely loved my experience with Ancestry.

Erika
February 7th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

My family has had a lot of fun looking up our family tree. Ancestry.com is easy to use as soon as you get the hang of it. The only thing I don't like is having to pay for a subscription. I also found it was difficult to cancel.

Ann Bailey
February 6th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

I recently gave my parents Ancestry DNA kits for Christmas. It was interesting to find out that my Dad really didn't have Native American Heritage after being told he had a certain percentage his whole life. It gave us some answers to some of those questions.

August Moulton
February 6th, 2019 Lehi, UT

I have used this service many times to look up ancestors and family members. The website is intuitive and easy to use.

janalee sanders
February 6th, 2019 Valley Center, CA DETAILS

Myself and many family members on my side use it quite often. I started using it because I had heard that they have given it great reviews when we have talked. we have had some interesting conversations about some really good information that they have uncovered. I will continue to use this site because there is always great family info to uncover. I have also recommended it to several of my friends

Cindy Bailey
February 6th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

Very professional buildings. Beautiful views and environment. Friendly and helpful people. My results came quickly and were interesting. No surprises.

Rose Sturgeon-Mabini
February 5th, 2019 Puyallup, WA DETAILS

I just received my results for my ancestry DNA. I was blown away and saddened by how fraudulent it appears to be. I only submitted my DNA because I wanted to see what percentage of native American I was. My grandmother was 1/2 Cherokee Indian and my father's side also has Cherokee Indian as well. My best friend and I did it and submitted ours pretty close to the same time. We got our results back and they are almost identical with the EXACT same wording, just the percentages a tiny bit different. And......had 0% of anything related to being any native American. Never again will I believe in this.

Jessica Atkin
February 1st, 2019 Lehi, UT

This is an excellent website! This is the first website that got me really excited about doing family history and genealogy! We purchased DNA kits and it was so much fun to get the results back!

Whitney Powell
January 31st, 2019 South Jordan, UT

This is a super cool app, my dad was adopted so we used this to see what kind of heritage we are. Helpful.

Lori Fletcher
January 31st, 2019 Saratoga Springs, UT

I am very pleased with the research ability in Ancestry. My favorite part is the hints it gives. I do wish I could transfer more than 4 generations from Ancestry to FamilySearch.

Virginia Rosenthal
January 31st, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I recently got an Ancestry kit for Christmas. I couldn't wait to send in my spit for analysis. I got my results back quicker than expected. The results were so easy to read and understand.

January 30th, 2019 DETAILS

loading ancestors on family tree is awkward and is difficult to arrange

Fred
January 22nd, 2019 O'Fallon, IL DETAILS

I really overall enjoy Ancestry.com, but what happened to the option for the military page that used to be part of the person's profile? I thought it was nice. Why was it removed? Is there a plan to update and bring it back? I’m a veteran & would like to see it!

Rebecca Darr
January 22nd, 2019 Indian Head, MD DETAILS

A family member who does not live with me was able to convince customer service to change the account I registered for and paid for to her contact info and when I contacted them about it and provided my name/phone/email/username and credit card #, amount of charge and date as well as forwarding them my initial confirmation email from the site - Ancestry refused to revert the account back to me so I have lost access to everything.

Tyree Newkirk
January 16th, 2019 Cedar Fort, UT

I was really excited to actually try and use this to find what my family is but to be honest they make you think it’s all for free but then once you sign up for everything they ask you to pay so I was really upset!

MaKayla Christiansen
January 16th, 2019 Provo, UT

Ancestry helped me track my genealogy in just a few steps. It was super helpful and had a lot of information that I didn’t know about my ancestors.

Annie Orr
January 16th, 2019 Provo, UT

My family and I have loved using ancestry.com together to find our family and learn more about our genealogy! It's an amazing site that is simple to use and effective in finding people!

Madalyn Johnson
January 15th, 2019 Provo, UT

Ancestry.com is the best place for finding out more about your family history! It is very easy, simple and user friendly too!

Shayla Hankins
January 10th, 2019 Lehi, UT

Ancestry helped me find not only who my ancestors were, but where they came from and where they died. It also showed me pictures of them and their tombstones. Ancestry let me know what my genealogy was to the smallest percentage.

Hailey Nilson
January 4th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

Ancestry.com has completely changed my life. My mom and I were interested to see where we came from, and with a little research we found out some incredible things about our family. The program is easy to use and so much fun!

Kymberlee Yack
January 3rd, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

My family loves ancestry. We've been using them for years. It's helped us locate other long distance members of our family. I also did the DNA kit and it was so interesting to see where I originate from.

R. Wilkes
December 21st, 2018 Memphis, TN DETAILS

Poor shipment delivery service. Purchased two DNA kits from Ancestry.com who uses UPS to pickup and deliver shipment to destination city. At destination city, UPS transfers the shipment to USPS for home delivery. That logistical hand-off proves to be inefficient and can add days to final delivery time. As for my shipment, UPS delivered it to the correct city but the wrong post office location. Instead of transferring the shipment to the correct local post office for delivery, USPS forwarded the shipment to another city 200 miles away for a delivery date 3 days later! Yes, USPS shipped it 200 miles away, to ship it back 200 miles for delivery. Genius! When I called Ancestry.com the customer service rep told me that this was a USPS issue, not Ancestry.com. I purchased the DNA kit from Ancestry.com, who selected this UPS/USPS tandem for its delivery option. So, yes, this IS an Ancestry.com issue. So, please lower your standards and expectations for shipment delivery from Ancestry.com/UPS/USPS. I would suggest exploring 23 & Me who may have a better shipment and delivery process. P.S. I asked the customer service rep if by chance my order does not arrive within the delivery window outlined by Ancestry.com could I cancel my order for a refund. She said, yes, but there would be a $25 restock fee. What? As the customer I have to pay a fee for Ancestry.com's/UPS/USPS mistake and poor logistics model? In good faith, I cannot recommend Ancestry.com to a friend based on its poor delivery and customer service (deflection of the problem onto USPS).

Katie Marz
December 19th, 2018 Orem, UT

I have had such a good experience on ancestry.com. I love that they send you little packets to get your dna and then you can find out exactly your heritage. So fun to spend a lot of time on.

Autumn Kallunki
December 19th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

I have been able to find out a lot about my genealogy through them. I typically recommenced them to friends for genealogy and I've had a good experience.

Carl Weil
December 20th, 2018 Elizabeth, CO DETAILS

Each of Ancestry's very late reply's starts out "our apology" unbelievably it goes down hill from there three months Five broken promises to fix, expedite and get me a report- still noting but apologies and more broken promises! "the sample was not usable" "we forgot to send you a replacement" "we will expedite and rush your report" [days after promised date and still nothing] Horrible- go else where

Tanner Cook
December 17th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I got my mom a six-month ancestry membership for her birthday, and since then her and I have been addicted to tracing back our family tree and see as far back as it goes. It’s really cool to see where my family is come from, and this was well worth it!

Jorden Laird
December 12th, 2018 Front Royal, VA DETAILS

I first signed up for ancestry because I was adopted and wanted to learn a little bit more about myself. I ended up finding extending family and information from my adopted family. The family tree feature has been SO MUCH FUN to use.