Ancestry.com boasts the biggest name recognitions in the family history field. This company, with headquarters in Utah and offices worldwide, has been the leader in delivering cutting-edge products to its subscribers since 1983. The early days of Ancestry were spent as a publishing company specializing in publishing family histories and magazines. In 1996, the digitization and online publishing of records began and Ancestry.com became a leader in digital records available for genealogical purposes.

The Good

• Records
  • Mobile app
  • Publishing options

Ancestry.com is perhaps the biggest name in genealogy work and for good reason. Some highlights include:

• Billions of records available to search from
    • Ability to upload images, documents and attach them to family trees
    • Mobile app works on all platforms
    • Relevant blog articles giving up-to-date information
    • Social Media presence with helpful tips and useful research information: Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Instagram, Pinterest, Tumblr
    • Instructional YouTube videos for beginners as well as more advanced research tips to more seasoned genealogists
    • Community message boards and opportunities to collaborate with others sharing common ancestors
    • Comprehensive learning center
    • Differing levels of membership based upon your individual needs
    • Customer service representatives available 7 days per week from 9AM-11PM Eastern Time
    • Publishing options for your findings
    • Software and books available
    • Industry-leading software which is easy to use
    • Ancestry.com DNA tests are cutting edge and link members to their ethnic backgrounds, but to relatives also taking the tests. Adopted individuals have flocked to take these tests and many have found their birth families through Ancestry.com DNA matching.

The Bad

• Pricing
  • Load time

Ancestry.com is expensive and their pricing may be out of reach for some. The most comprehensive membership option has a hefty price tag of $199/annually.

Pages can be slow to load, depending on the traffic on the site. Additionally, there are regular late-night upgrades to the service which make the site inaccessible at those times. (The times and dates for updates are published on the site as a bar across the top of pages.)

The Bottom Line

For those able to afford an Ancestry.com membership, the quantity and quality of what is available surpasses the records by the for-profit competition in the field. Ancestry.com is a solid company with the resources to back up their claims and is constantly looking for new ways to innovate and stay on top of the competition. We recommend Ancestry.com and are confident they will help with your genealogy needs.

When purchasing a membership and setting up an account, setting privacy options can be tricky. One should explore the privacy policies very carefully and determine which settings are appropriate for their needs. Maintaining more private settings make collaboration more challenging (even impossible in some cases), so this information should be carefully considered.

3.8

Rylie Crandall
June 24th, 2019 Draper, UT DETAILS

I like ancestory.com to do my genealogy work because it's easy to navigate and understand. It's fun to use and learn about my ancestors using this site.

Sierra Beck
June 21st, 2019 Herriman, UT

One of my mom's friends works for Ancestry and we have used their services when doing family history. It is helpful to use this alongside other websites as well. It was simple to use.

Haley Baldwin
June 17th, 2019 DETAILS

I bought the DNA kits for myself and my family. They worked great! and we got our results back in a timely matter. They were helpful and they answered any questions we had!

Nicholas
June 14th, 2019 Lake Villa, IL

The downside is that you have to pay to receive the full experience of finding your ancestors.

Jennifer Smith
June 11th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

I love Ancestry! One of the best parts of this company is the amazing search capabilities they have. Ancestry makes finding information about ancestors easy and fun.

Brittney Anderson
June 11th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Ancestry can be a little confusing to get used to after learning family search. However I really appreciate their vast network of resources helping my make my family tree.

Brenda
June 10th, 2019 Spanish Fork, UT

Ancestry has been a great tool for helping me find my ancestors. The layout is easy to use and the hints make it easy to link records to family members.

Anna Schouten
June 10th, 2019 Provo, UT

Very good for finding records to connect in a family tree. The search feature is helpful for narrowing the fields you are looking for. They have a large number records available for family history research.

Marissa
June 7th, 2019 Redwood Falls, MN DETAILS

I bought a DNA kit for my father, and he loved getting his results back. I love what this company is all about.

Grant Lofgreen
June 5th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Has some features in particular that I haven't found on other sites. Price is understandable. Would like to see more records.

Christine Farmer
June 5th, 2019 Littleton, CO DETAILS

I have used Ancestry for DNA testing and for research for family history. The DNA testing is fun and informative. I expected a little more detail, but I am satisfied. The kit was easy to use and the results came online. It is fun to compare with other family members and see who you are connected to online! The research tools are also valuable, I have used it to look for birth, death or marriage records and also immigration records.

Tracy Hill
June 3rd, 2019 Draper, UT DETAILS

This site is great! I love using it to learn more about my family and ancestors. I taught all my sisters how to use it. My only complaint is that it was complicated to use at first but we got the hang of it

Kimberli Shaner
June 3rd, 2019 Meridian, ID DETAILS

Very thorough information. Great hints and ways to research family history. Love this site.

Julie
June 3rd, 2019 Spanish Fork, UT DETAILS

Loved the DNA test. Gave it to my husband for Christmas and the whole family loved seeing the results.

Dale L Farmer
June 3rd, 2019 Littleton, CO DETAILS

I have used them to do some geneology. It was fun to sen in the DNA test and see what I got back.

Brayden Babbitt
June 3rd, 2019 Provo, UT

The site helped me find my ancestors, just like the title says because it's true.

Beth
June 3rd, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

This is so cool because you can see who you are related to amongst people you meet. It is a great way to start conversation with others!

Anne Sainsbury
June 3rd, 2019 Payson, UT DETAILS

Last year I received an Ancestry DNA kit for Christmas. I have am amazed that they are able to find so much information about you and your family through these kits. I would recommend them to anyone. The online site helped me to see all of my results and to understand better my story. I received great customer service and the product has brought me much closer to my family. This is one of the coolest family history tools out there!

Julie Kincaid
May 28th, 2019 Soldotna, AK DETAILS

I love, love, love this site. I use it several times a week for family history work. What I love most is that it give you other record hints that might match the person you are searching for. These hints aren't perfect, but they often give you clues about other documents. I would totally recommend this site to a friend and will keep using it.

Jacob Shaner
May 28th, 2019

This site has a lot of great records available. I also like the search engine and ability to connect with other people through the site.

E S
May 28th, 2019 Meridian, ID DETAILS

Great resource. The family trees are the best way to find relatives. So helpful and great program!!!!!!

Tavian
May 24th, 2019 West Jordan, UT DETAILS

Love this site helped me get through a class and get things for me that I couldn’t find

Nana Asiata
May 21st, 2019 Herriman, UT

I love that ancestry.com can help me keep track and learn my heritage and where my family comes from. Genealogy is so interesting and this website helps make researching a lot easier.

Elisa Vakapuna
May 20th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT

Ancestry has opened doors for many families all around the world and has made us find family we never knew about. It’s great!

Ashley
May 20th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Ancestry.com is the place to find out about your own DNA as well as your genealogy history, vital records, census records, and the support center is amazing. I couldn't believe that there are over 20 million member of ancestry.com. I am a firm believer in taking a DNA test to uncover your origins because it helps you understand who you are and where you come from! Its so inexpensive and easy to do! Try it today!

BLF
May 16th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Ancestry has a wide ranch of services that we like to use to find our loved ones who have died. They have an easy website to use that is not complicated to use.

Cathie Chavez
May 16th, 2019 Banning, CA DETAILS

A good site to use very easy to use,very comfortable to use i have no complaints about their company

Scott
May 15th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

I have fiddled around and experimented on Ancestry.com and really enjoy my time when doing so. Its really interesting to learn about your ancestors and where you come from. I have found a better sense of family pride since signing up on Ancestry.

Jeremy
May 14th, 2019 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

A perfect service and a must use if you’re trying to compile records and find your ancestors.

Reese
May 14th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have used this site many times and they are very up to date with their information and content. I have lots of information on my ancestors there and I like that they show where they came from and map things out. Easy to add to and many learning tools to take advantage of. I especially like the DNA options.

Dean
May 14th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS

Ancestry.com has been a very interesting experience. If you are a diehard genealogy researcher Im not quite sure if they would be for you but being a novice it was super interesting to get lost in what they have to offer. It has been a fun experience but since I don't know if I will do a ton of it, I don't know if the cost will be worth it.

Jennifer
May 13th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS

I have always really enjoyed doing genealogy but it wasn't until I found ancestry.com that I got absolutely hooked. The resources they offer will blow your mind and even if you haven't ever done it before they have guides to help. It has been especially fun finding more and more relatives and seeing who in history I am actually related to. I would recommend anyone to ancestry.com.

Gary Rohrbaugh
May 7th, 2019 Payson, UT

Very user friendly! There is massive amounts of information and help to assist you in you genealogical efforts.

Lisa
April 25th, 2019 DETAILS

TERRIBLE COMPANY Just TRY to cancel out of your subscription!!!!! DISGUSTING

Allison Driggs
April 15th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

Ancestry.com is absolutely wonderful. So easy to use and is so meaningful to life! Love it!

Dan
April 10th, 2019 Saint Charles, MO

I received several messages notifying me of the great progress and it would only be two weeks before receiving my results. Well that when on for weeks until I received a very unwelcoming notice that I had to request a new kit as the sample failed. Spending about three wasted and frustrating hours on the phone with customer service a supervisor who seemed very accommodating said she would work on my refund and call me back in twenty minutes. That never happened and when I called back and spoke with my third representative I was told there was no notes in the system. Given they work from home she couldn’t see what supervisor may have spoken with me. No apologies in their request or sorry for the inconvenience, we will send a new kit out. No everything was put back on the customer. They are the absolute worst I have ever dealt with.

Alexander Miropolsky
March 13th, 2019 Westford, MA DETAILS

1. Pretty expensive 2. DNA results are so broad, so meaningless 3. Databases very limited 4. Customer service awful

Bambi Lynn
March 5th, 2019 DETAILS

For the most part ok. Search engines are frustating

SHERRY K HASTY
February 26th, 2019 DETAILS

Love this company. Finding ancestors and ancestors of friends has been a simple proces..

divan
February 19th, 2019 Chino, CA DETAILS

I ordered a DNA kit to be sent to a cousin in Washington however the kit was sent to me instead (at the billing address). The order status info on Ancestry and my confirmation email clearly states the correct shipping address. I spoke with Kimberly at Ancestry who stated this has happened in the past. She apologized but stated if I wanted my cousin to receive the kit, I'd have to send it to her. I asked to have a shipping label sent to me, but was told they don't provide those. Really? Ancestry ships a DNA kit to the wrong address and it's the consumer's responsibility to forward it to the correct address??? I'd already been charged $9.95 by Ancestry to ship the test, but now they expect me to pay additional shipping fees? I asked Kimberly for the address to Ancestry headquarters. When she asked why, I informed her I planned to file a complaint. She provided Ancestry.com/Support saying I would find the info there. I explained that I'd already read that page and it didn't have any contact info for the company. Her comment? "that's all I'm allowed to give". If you look on Ancestry.com you'll notice there is NO contact information whatsoever. Apparently they want you to pay exorbitant fees for membership but don't want those members to ask for assistance - even when they're the cause of the problem.

S Suguturaga
February 13th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

This is a great product for my genealogy needs and the company does provide sufficient customer support.

Londyn Berrett
February 13th, 2019 American Fork, UT

I haven’t used ancestry a lot. It is super fun to find out more about your part and where your ancestors are from. It is also a super simple website to use.

Jonas De Olveira
February 13th, 2019 American Fork, UT

I have really got into family history lately. Ancestry.com is an excellent tool for helping me find information on my relatives. They have access to a lot of records, which has been very helpful in connecting all the dots.

Jason Brown
February 13th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

Hands down the best site to do family history research. Their census records are better than any other site I've used. The images they upload are also crystal clear.

Christy Suguturaga
February 13th, 2019 Orem, UT

I have not used this product but I plan too. I am hoping to wait until they get a larger Polynesian database. I think it’s a little pricey for enough Polynesians to do it. I don’t like that when I look at the results and it just shows a general region. So some day when those regions can be more specific we will give it a try.

Brian Scott
February 13th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

I'm so thankful Ancestry.com helped me fill in some missing parts of my family tree. It connected me with a second cousin I didn't know I had and now we are close friends!

wayne sanders
February 12th, 2019 Valley Center, CA DETAILS

Ancestry is one of my go to sites for genealogy. This site is easy to navigate and has always been full of information that is pertinent to what and who I am looking for. I have also come up with names that I wasnt even aware that they were connected to me. I feel like the site is always updated and full of new names to discover each time I visit it.

Steve Anderson
February 12th, 2019 Lindon, UT DETAILS

I have used Ancestry.com for several years now and I am 100% head over heals in love with this company. They have literally changed my world. They offer two different services. First, they are am AMAZING record collections service. I use Ancestry in conjunction with FamilySearch. The two of them can help me find almost anything. I have extended my ancestral lines back many generations because of Ancestry.com The second service they offer is their DNA testing services. Doing my own family research, I found out that me and my 8 brothers and sisters are not the biological children of the man who raised us. Yes, that was a real shocker to all of us. Through the use of AncestryDNA, I was able to locate the families of all but 2 of us 9 children. This is a truly amazing company. By the way, their customer support is great. They were so helpful and pleasant to work with.

Nathan Hill
February 12th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I just did a DNA test with Ancestry in the last few months and I have really enjoyed going back and looking at all my matches and learning more about where I am from. This is an easy to use software and product and I look forward to using it more.

Lindsey B
February 12th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

Great service especially for the price. The website is very easy to navigate and use. You can quickly find out things about your ancestors that you may have otherwise never known. If you have any questions their website FAQ's are very helpful and customer service is always willing to help also. I would recommend to anyone looking to know more about their ancestry.