Field Nation Logo

Field Nation

5.9

LAST UPDATED: July 18th, 2021

Field Nation is the world's most active Field Service Marketplace and software solution that connects companies and service professionals to get work done.

Back in 2008, founder and CEO, Mynul Khan, saw a significant shift in the workforce. Instead of hiring permanent employees, companies were using contractors — and the companies’ full-time employees were seeking out more flexible work opportunities. In order to aid in this cultural change, Khan designed a company that made it easier for companies and independent contractors to connect.

Toptal Logo
1.3
PeoplePerHour Logo
#4 PeoplePerHour chevron_right
2.3

The Good

• Industries Served
  • Over 20,000 Work Orders per Week

Industries Served

Field Nation supports IT service industries throughout the nation, and its marketplace includes thousands of qualified service providers. Business owners no longer have to worry about where they're going to find a qualified service technician; with Field Nation, they have access to over 100,000 technicians across the country.

Field Nation can connect companies to service technicians in the following industries:

• ATM machines
  • Servers
  • Retail fixtures and displays
  • Telecom

Over 20,000 Work Orders per Week

Field Nation boasts posting thousands of work orders daily, which is great for service providers looking to do some contract work. To get started, freelancers will have to create a free profile and start applying for jobs, which is also free.

Another unique aspect of Field Nation's marketplace is the fact that users have an opportunity to build credibility within the marketplace. Users who complete a job promptly and thoroughly will increase their ratings — and higher ratings generally equal more contracts.

Field Nation also allows contractors to search for the types of jobs that fit their unique experience, salary requirements, and location.

The Bad

• Field Nation Fees
  • Reviews

Field Nation Fees

While it is free to sign up and apply for jobs, many independent contractors may skip over the fine print and not realize that Field Nation charges several fees. First, Field Nation will charge service providers a fee for the access and use of the platform. This fee is deducted from the amounts payable to the contractor by a buyer for the services performed. The fee will be up to 10 percent of the total amount payable.

Second, Field Nation charges a General Liability Insurance Fee, which is deducted directly from the total amount payable (this fee is charged if the contractor doesn't have a current certificate of insurance uploaded in their profile).

Last, if a company (or Field Nation) requires a service provider to have a Workers' Compensation or Occupational Accident Insurance to perform a work order, Field Nation will charge a Trust and Safety Fee, which is deducted from the total amount payable.

Reviews

The majority of the reviews left on BestCompany.com are not favorable for Field Nation. There are several complaints against the company for the 10 percent service charge fee, and several contractors stated that they were not paid in full for their services, and Field Nation did nothing to penalize these companies.

The Bottom Line

Since 2008, Field Nation has striven to make it easier for companies and independent workers to connect. The company boasts having access to over 100,000 IT service specialists, sending out thousands of work orders each week, and having exceptional customer service. However, many of the reviews left on BestCompany.com tell a different tale.

There are several complaints against the company's 10 percent service fee — plus service providers will need to worry about the General Liability Insurance Fee and the Trust and Safety Fee. And there are a few complaints of service providers not being paid in full and Field Nation not correcting the issue.

1.7

Bill Cobb Vancouver, WA

Feild Nation is not for professionals. Most of your competition are not licensed or industry certified and therefore a race to the bottom on compensation. You are competing against contractors that are willing to lose money just to get the bid. If you have a buyer Field Nation will always side with the buyer. Avoid Field Nation unless you enjoy working for free.

Stephen Bastic Chicago, IL

Complete ripoff. Bought insurance to avoid the 1.5% fee. I had to redo it 3 times for their exact wording. They have been charging me the insurance everyday since without me knowing (everything confirmed correct in wording) and they just dodge you when you try to figure out what their doing ripping you off.

Jim Rowan Tampa, FL

About a few months ago field Nation started holding money the money that companies paid for services for two weeks or more. I just had a conversation with them about them holding monies that were paid to them for me for this two or three week period. They said to me that it was to increase the work capacity when in reality it's just adding money to their pockets instead of paying us the contractors when the company pays them they hold the money in their account drawing interest on it. This means that when I earn money instead of the possible two weeks to get paid it takes five weeks to get paid.

Ron Badgerow Pigeon, MI

After completing over 1,000 work orders, for various companies on Field Nation, I can say it is a great place to find work. The only reason I cannot give them a 5-star rating, is that in the past four years, the platform itself has been very slow and unreliable. I have used my iPhone, Android phone, Samsung Tablet, laptop and desktop and see the pages loading slower and slower. The iPhone app works alright, it just doesn't offer all the features the website offers, to get the work orders uploaded, along with deliverables like pictures, videos or other documents. When a work order is posted, you have the option in most cases, to counter offer a higher amount. This is tricky, because if you're too high, you'll never see any work, too low and companies will be expecting you to work at that rate on all their work orders. Most will not pay mileage, so consider the distance. You'll need to print work orders, in most cases, so keep an extra black ink cartridge on hand and plenty of paper. Most companies allow phone pics of finished work orders, but some want the scanned Adobe PDF files and the pictures either titled or numbered Payment is quicker, if you can get the work orders closed out on days, prior to payout days (Tuesday & Friday), but some companies allow emailing them directly, to request payment quicker than it will state on the site. Investing in a portable, wireless printer may be needed, as work orders can be routed even while you're working. Of course Staples and other printing services are available, but will cost a lot in the long run. You'll most likely be packing up items to return, via FedEx, UPS etc. and this can add time and cost, so consider that when accepting the work. You may be instructed to dispose of items, but I'd suggest keeping the packaging materials like foam peanut, bubble wrap and paper packing because these items can cost more than you think and free is always a good thing. Bottom line is, that you get out of this, what you put in. If you are not a great communicator, you'll probably get frustrated. Constant communication may involve getting texts and emails throughout early morning, the entire day and even late evening. Calls should be expected and getting right back to the company you're working for is also expected. After working on this platform for the past four years, I've taken jobs I'll never do again, been paid as late as over 30-days and as quick as 2 days. You eventually find what work you want, get the pay rate you are worth and things are good.

Richard S Phoenix, AZ

Everything needs to be a chore with Field Nation. I had an unresponsive buyer so I reported a problem. The buyer never responded. I contacted FN twice before I was due on site and still no response from the buyer. Field Nation stated repeatedly that I needed to refuse the assignment instead of reporting a problem. Refusing said assignment opens me to sanctions, penalties and risks damage to my technician score. I am charged fees (an as a result taxes) on items the client requires I bring to the site or simple expenses such as for parking & tolls. Need a patch cable? Client will pay what's on my receipt and not a penny m ore. FN takes 11.5 % and I pay taxes. The result is that I now refuse to supply materials and I get boned on parking and tolls. There are other options available.

Phillip M. Memphis, TN

My name is Phillip Mansfield and I am a small business owner who has just now stopped using Field Nation because it's trash. As much as I hate to, I have to. Field Nation has become a joke. They treat their providers like trash and let buyers do the same. They suspend you for things you even have proof you didn't do if a buyer lies about you but if you have proof against a buyer they still let them not pay you. Avoid Field Nation like the plague! I am a Provider of the Year for 2019-2020 and if I'm telling you how horrible it is, then I can't imagine how other providers and techs are treated! Horrible!!! Stay away!!! I put that i am a paying customer as I am, but they take 10% plus 1.3% for insurance for every work order. On average that amounts for me to about $500 or more per month. Hence my total payments in recurring fees below. Just wanted to be clear so they don't harass me and say I'm a liar.

Mike Sohrt Orange, CA

I signed up with Field Nation a couple of months ago and I would be fine with paying the 10% commission and the idea of the site is good. But, I find that the Companies that put out listings on this site are not realistic or just playing cheap. The amount that they are willing to pay in most cases does not cover any travel and is not enough to cover your gas and the 10% that you have to pay to Field Nation. I don't know about other states but in California if you take on these listings you will be working for close to free and will not be in business for long. In many cases if you read the listings the Vendor that you would be working for wants you to travel on your own dime including gas, In some cases the limited timeline that you are allotted to complete the job is unrealistic. The Vender will require that the technician provide materials like cable, jacks, etc. There is no mention of compensation for the materials or how much they are willing to allow. My evaluation as well as other small telecom businesses that I have spoken with is that you are better of finding your own jobs or by word of mouth. I know of a few of these companies that post on Field Nation and I know for fact that if you requested their assistance in subbing a job and offered the compensation that they do the response that you would get from them is "POUND SAND !"

nivla evans El Monte, CA

I have been working for Field Nation for over 4 years now with over 1000 jobs completed. I've made good money with Field Nation, and there are plenty of jobs to choose from, but it has its ups and downs. When you work, you get paid pretty quickly and twice a week and once you find a few good buyers, you're pretty much set. But the overall quality of the buyers are not good. I would say of the 96 buyers I have worked with, only about 10 of them are decent buyers. The others are mixed so so and bad buyers, most of which Field Nation will support and fight for. I don't like the fact that every time I have an issue with a buyer, I always lose on the argument, even though it was completely the buyer's fault with documentation and proof to show it. The bottom line is that if the buyer makes a mistake, and you as the provider end up paying for it, it's useless to argue with customer service that you are being ripped off by the buyer. Buyers are much more important to the Field Nation platform than technicians, since the buyers are really the ones bringing the money into the company and there are so many technicians to choose from. Like in other comments in this section, based on Field Nations actions and overall attitude, technicians are EXPENDABLE.

tech1 Bethany, OK

Been on the FN platform for 4yrs now. Very up and down with the site from a technician's standpoint. I will start with the good. Good: Field Nation has the majority of major companies (technical/network companies) that are large nationwide companies and 3rd party companies that service just about every major chain you can think of from service to projects. There is potentially a lot of work in my field and I get at least 10 to 20 emails a day with new jobs/work that go up, even in a low market state such as Oklahoma for my field. FN is the primary source for freelance/independent in my field. The nice thing about this is that, as mentioned there is no membership fee and the fact that this does save you advertising for your services. Another good thing is payment is always on time and twice a week assuming your work was approved in timely manner by the buyer (buyers are the companies you do the work for through FN. You are the provider). Bad: Probably the worst catch to all this is the 10% fee (now 13% if you don't have insurance). No need to go liking for fine print on details for this as mentioned in article...it is simple. FN charges that 10% on the total money paid out to the tech/provider at the bottom of the work order. They deduct this before you are paid. This is the total of everything they charge. This includes all expenses and even material you reported. Again, it is 10% of ANY money you make or get reimbursed per work order. The website has a fancy expense reporting section per work order but it is never used because it is pointless. They charge 10% regardless of how it is itemized. You agree to this policy before you even do work on the platform. FN does not budge on this policy. I have fought with them many times over it and lost every time. They simply respond with "then mark up your material and expenses 10%". This is laughable as the more you mark up....the more they make as well. It is mathematically impossible to every make back that 10% charge through marking up through the site. 95% of companies already have a material pricing sheet you get with work order that states what they reimburse in materials. Either way you are trapped. Marking up materials can hurt you. For one it means the buyer spends more money and may not assign you the job if others have put in for a cheaper price. Secondly, buyers also may not use you in the future if you haggle too much. 10% doesn't seem like much but you have to understand that fuel, materials, etc. are a big expense over the course of each year. I average about 35k a year through FN alone and FN makes that $3500 off it. While I am filing my taxes with tons of receipts to help on taxes, FN is making a 10% profit on them. You fuel, materials, etc. Is profit for them and a loss for you almost every job where you have a set reimbursement from the buyer on these things. One of my biggest hits was a large 1 week fiber job I did. This was over $5000 in materials as well as an additional $480 for the hotel and $100 for fuel.When all was said and done, the total money with expenses and labor paid to me on the WO was $8500. FN got 10% of it all. I lost $500 on materials due to the buyers material price they pay back. I paid FN 10% of MY hotel and fuel cost...and then on labor. I still made money if course but took a huge hit on profit. FN doesn't negotiate with you. All in all the 10% of the total is pure bs. It should be on labor and services only...not out of your materials and especially fuel as well. FN ONLY charges the workers/providers. The buyers and major companies do not pay fees or memberships. FN makes their money off the people working. Another bad thing is that FN is essentially cornering the market platform. Your 3 major platforms, FN, Field Solutions, and Work Market are pretty much shadowed by FN now. FN bought out Field Solutions and dropped the site and merged. This resulted in even more work they charge 10% for as FS did not. A lot of buyers who do not like FN contracted me directly when this happened. Work Market has also taken a huge hit in available work. FN is making power moves to expand their racket. Screening.... Let me tell you... I am a certified technician with 15yrs experience, about every cert you can think of, and a master degree as well as CCNP. I still have to compete on specific jobs to my degrees and certs with other freelancers who have absolutely no certs. I have worked with many technicians like me that are on FN...my competition...and the quality and knowledge is very poor. I have seen these guys google how to make a crossover cable, come to a job with tools carpenters use instead of network technicians, or even ask me to show them basic stuff. I don't report this or complain but it is obvious to me that FN has made it too easy for anyone to simply jump into a high paying market with little to no experience. It is as simple as making a FN profile, checking all the boxes in your field stating you can do those tasks, and then clicking ok. People who have never used a punch tool but worked in a call center as "tech support" consider themselves field techs. I have jumped these guys often BC it makes me have to do more work when multiple FN techs are on one job. Just because you moved a phone jack in your house and it worked doesn't make you a professional or a field technician. FN foes not verify its providers. You can say you can do anything you want and go right out and do it whether you know how or not. FN allows you to enter your certification numbers to the platform for the buyers to see (example- my CCNP, RCDD, etc. certification numbers and registry proving them). This would be great if FN actually had a database that recognized the official certifications. Instead of making the system work for this...which in turn gets you more work when buyers see you are a professional....FN instead wants you to fax and email copies of all your documentation to them..and then take 3-6 months to actually put this on the certification section of your profile. I have a SECRET clearance as well which in 4yrs they still have not found a way to put on this section. It is easier to simply put your certs in text in your profile with the numbers. The background check and drug testing system.... FN will NOT allow you to use any outside source other than their own. A SECRET clearance to FN is not considered a background check. If you run a background check for yourself and a drug test they will not accept it. You MUST pay the $40 to FN for their low level bg check. I have a friend who is on FN who has duis, suspended license, and even assault and battery conviction on his record and FN gave him a green light on his profile. Another $50 for a drug test by FN is also required. You cannot use your results outside of FN to be considered. Insurance is also a hassle as FN uses their own company. If you have business insurance already through a non-FN company it takes them forever to verify this....therefore charging you the extra 3% per work order. FN also will not release your background and drug test results for use on anything other than FN. You pay $90 for this to FN and you cannot use it on any other platform etc. This means you have to pay for all this 2-3 times (per platform you work off of). FN also does not escalate or back you up when dealing with bad buyers. Even though FN's primary income is from you...the provider... they do not help you resolve issues with the buyer. I have had several buyers break the FN contract in the work order and FN did nothing to help me . Examples - one buyer got 2 months straight of work from me with the work order stating approval within one week per job. This buyer suddenly lost contact and I had 50 completed jobs worth $5,000 plus lots if fuel and materials that sat pending approval for payment for 2 months. I called FN many times. I even spoke with one of the "top dogs" there and they told me to try and resolve the issue with the buyer. Later I was called and told that the buyer didn't even have the money in the FN account to pay me and that FN is not liable to pay me. There is no protection for the provider. Eventually the buyer paid me because they took on a huge project and failed to mention they don't get paid from the customer but every 90 days. FN also only gives you a W2 for taxes at end of year. I pay quarterly....this means I have to spend days generating a report of income every 3 months. All in all....FN has the work...but if the buyer screws you...your 10% to FN does not buy you backup.... You only benefit from FN BC it is a platform people use for help/jobs where you don't have to go out and market yourself. My area had a recent layoff of help desk techs who jumped into FN for quick work....most of whom counter offer for half of the job posted in order to get it. A buyer offers $50/hr for a WO and many bid 25 just to get it. This is driving the market down in my field in a big way...and this year it has been a nightmare trying to compete and work for my field's pay.. I am taking more and more jobs at a seriously reduced price whereas I was making much more for the same tickets from same buyers the last 3yrs. With health insurance and other expenses of being self employed....this has become a less than profitable market unless I am direct with the customer.

trevorramelot Englewood, CO

They are just flat out awful. I have 100% feedback on over 300 jobs completed and paid on another platform. Field nation has nothing but lowball work. They tax you every chance they get. If there is ever an issue, they will always side with the buyer. I have literally been cussed out by the buyer on the phone with field nation on a conference call. This Company is still out there ripping people off. The alternative platforms are much more technician friendly and Neutral. Generally, they tax you less and the work is reasonably paid. I advise you to stop using field nation and explore the other platforms. Hopefully the buyers will migrate to the superior solution for both parties.

Tim Santell Kinsman, OH

Field Nation is a platform for day labor or part time people that want to make a quick buck. This is not a platform for professional skilled technical personnel. You can't be in business for what they pay and then have to pay 10% to Field Nation for doing the work along with local and state taxes. In the end you are paying more to do the work then the work is worth. For example, a job may ask for a tech for 2 hours max at $ 35 an hour. No one can be self-employed for $35 dollars an hour let alone you waist your travel time to and from the site and then give them %10 plus pay state, federal and local taxes, along with wear and tear on your vehicle and equipment. All in all you are working for next to nothing and as we all know if you're a self-employed technician you need to be clearing at least $70 an hour to make it worth being self-employed. To me this is a scumbag way for large companies to pretend that they have a nationwide work force in which they flat out lie to their customers and then charge them $ 150 an hour and pay minimum wage to the skilled technicians. This is not a service it is a scam and would not recommend this to anyone who is a professional!

MARC CLAY New York, NY

Field Nation makes sure to take care of their Business Customer (that is processing 1000+ work orders and paying a commission) FN appears to care less about the Technician or worker that is actually doing the work. If you do the work and there is an issue will pay, FN will not have your back. If a company does not make full payment, YOU are OUT OF LUCK! Most of the better technicians are jumping ship to other platforms or entering into agreements directly with good companies. FN fails to realize that this will hurt FN's businesses as FN will no longer be able to provide their BIG CUSTOMERS with high quality technicians/ workers.

Mike Pantoni Uncasville, CT

FN has had several companies that did not pay in full even though the work was completed in a timely professional manner and completed the job and even went beyond. The problem is that FN does not remove these companies but lets them get away with it. They also let the buyers publish ridiculous penalties such as anywhere from 25-75% penalties on workers. FN never guarantees payment or steady work but seems to be more interested in making money off of the 10% fee they assess to everyone from a $20 job to a $500 job. All in all they are not a very good company, they have a monopoly in their market and don't look out for the techs whom work on their platform, I would stay away from them.

Anthony Duck

Terrible company. The company is setup so that you pay for everything. They take 10% of all money from you and %10 from the buyer so they are making 20 percent off of your work! So if the company that gives you work pays you $1000 for the work you will only be paid $770 because now the take out 3% for insurance as well. So yes now field nation is taking 23% of your pay before you even get it and thats also before you have to pay your taxes! Also thier customer service sucks. You'll get no reply when using thier app, call support and each rep will tell you something different. Hard to get any jobs sent your way, I've tried to sign up for jobs 5 miles away from me and get passed up and I've been a tech for 10 years and have never had a bad review and you can go weeks without getting an assignment so it's definitely not reliable income.

Christine ,

Good source for freelance offers searching and side hustling. Found here several clients and got an additional income!

Rick Rock Palmer, MA

I have been using this platform for years now, and it gets worse on almost a daily basis. Pay is low, paid over a month after the work is completed. The pay is shrinking as field Nation has a new pay higher percentage to get the best job now. Problems with a company's payment, too bad you are on your own. Screw them.

Technician Tucson, AZ

This place is set up for employers not contractors or freelancers. I have been abused in poorly paid contracts worked to injury in jobs and sent home. Employers refuse to pay then field nation wont make them and suspend you. You are completely worthless as a freelancer. Do not depend on this as reliable income as suspension from power happy contracts is inevidable.

Homer San Antonio, TX

Horrible, I quit working through them and advise anyone else to do the same. They take 10% of your pay plus another 1.3% for insurance. Now they are putting the burden of sales tax for services rendered on the technicians (Service Providers) and we get to pay income tax at the end of the year. How is that even logical? We are providing the service why should we pay sales tax? Bad move FieldNation. The majority of buyers pay horribly low.

Johnny Sokko Eden Prairie, MN

Poorly developed and run website. CEO Mynul Khan hides from the people who pay his check and fails to respond to any of the multitude of issues with the website. He is only concerned with acquiring more "technicians" and selling this deep-discount platform to buyers. It seems this is about nothing more than looking for a BIG buy-out and the multi-multi-million dollar payday for the executives. Issues are ignored over and over and hidden from buyers. Any other business running this way would be out-of-business. Poor. Poor. Poor.

Dave Boyd Eugene, OR

Field Nation is all about the companies that it attracts to hire field techs. I have personally not been paid by a company for extra trips required to site due to no fault of my own. When I presented the information to FN they invariably support the company. The theory under which they operate is that getting a company to use their services is much more difficult than finding another tech, therefore the technicians are expendable.

Mitch Baxter CA

Overall it's a great place to find work, payments are made twice a week to the freelancer, in house support is excellent in resolving issues quickly.

Charlie Stokes Reno, NV

Hostile attitude towards field service technicians which has been getting steadily worse. Been with them for many years and thousands of tickets. Now I'm trying to move my clients off of FN to OF or WM.

James Barry Malden, MA

Field Nation is a company that is run by a management team that apparently does not regard its technicians as anything more than cattle. Over a 10 year period their technician support has continually declined and techs often find themselves waiting thirty days or more for small payments.

Andy

Pathetic customer service. Blocked my account and didn't even give me a reason. I had $100.00 on that account. Now I am fighting with them to get it refunded. Totally unprofessional.

richard jones Centralia, IL

Terrible bunch of lying thieves. They cheat technicians all while lying for their clients that also cheat technicians. There are hundreds that they have done this to and I already have a long list of them!

Corey Thomason Summerville, SC

Just use WorkMarket or TechLinkSVC. They are way better and dont charge a fee. FieldNation LLC has several lawsuits and 2 class action law suits against them. Beware.

Walker Spalding

The hold your money and they side with the buyers