Originally from New Zealand, Les Mills was an Olympic athlete in the 1960s and '70s. In 1968, near the end of his competitive track and field career, he and his wife opened a gym in their home country, utilizing many of the training and fitness techniques Les used during competition. In the 1980s, Les' son, Phillip started the Les Mills program in US gyms. The program gained in popularity and is now used in more than 15,000 gyms in 80+ countries around the globe.

Today, Les Mills is headquartered in San Francisco, California, and is one of the most popular workout programs in the industry.

P90x chevron_right
Crossfit chevron_right

The Good

• Accessibility and flexibility
  • Available globally
  • New category

Accessibility and flexibility is a major benefit of the Les Mills program; it's available in more than 15,000 clubs and gyms in the US and more than 80 other countries across the globe. More than 100,000 certified instructors lead the classes at some of the most popular gym networks in the world, including Gold's Gym, Powerhouse Gym and 24-Hour Fitness.

There are a bevy of Les Mills classes available to meet your personal fitness goals and workout preferences. Series like Bodypump and CXworx focus on strengthening muscles through repetition to build a lean, strong body. If you like a high-energy, cardio-based workout, try Bodycombat, Bodyattack or Bodystep. If you prefer to burn calories during a dance class, try Sh'bam or Bodyjam. If you're a cycling enthusiast, try RPM. Or take a Bodyvive class for an equal mix of strength training, core exercises and cardio.

To keep workouts fresh and challenging, the class programs are updated with new choreography and music every three months. Instructors also receive educational updates on the same timeline, which helps them stay up-to-date with the latest knowledge in the fitness industry.

The cost of the Les Mills program can vary depending on where you live and where you are taking classes. Oftentimes, access to the classes is free with your monthly or annual gym membership. Les Mills also offers a home program, Les Mills Combat, which can be purchased through Beachbody.com without a certified instructor license.

Les Mills instructors are certified to ensure that their classes are both safe and effective, and many participate in follow-up programs to continue to develop and learn new fitness techniques.

If you can't make it to the gym, video sets of these aforementioned classes are also available for purchase from Beachbody.com. The videos start around $35, plus shipping and handling, and most of the video purchases can be broken down into a few monthly payments.

Les Mills has regional community sections on its website, each including message forums, articles, FAQs, motivational tools, blogs, surveys and educational materials. Through these online tools, you can stay motivated by learning more and connecting with others in the Les Mills network.

Nutrition and healthy eating is also part of the Les Mills program: nutrition information, advice and recipes are available in both the Knowledge and Newsfeed sections of the site. Les Mills has also published a book titled "Fighting Globesity," which details strategies to help you become more active, lose weight and eat healthy.

Les Mills just recently has created On-Demand work outs for home users to participate in.

The Bad

• No DVDs sold on website

While there are Les Mills videos offered on the website, they are only available for purchase for certified instructors. If you want access to the full video programs you will have to enroll in a Les Mills class, or become an instructor yourself.  You can purchase the Les Mills Combat program through Beachbody.com, but none of the other Les Mills DVD programs are available for purchase on the site.

The Bottom Line

The Les Mills program offers a variety of classes based on an established, accessible workout regimen - not to mention access to a thriving online community and nutrition information. In addition, its quarterly program updates and instructor education offerings demonstrate its ongoing commitment to providing a fresh, safe and effective way to get fit.

3.9

starstar_halfstar_borderstar_borderstar_border
starstar_halfstar_borderstar_borderstar_border

J. W.

June 10th, 2020 Ozark, MO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The programs they offer are fantastic. However, though they offer "club support" it is difficult to contact anyone EVER with questions or problems. Our studio has been bounced from one club support person to another, racking up an awesome tally of 12 in 6 years. We have certainly slipped through the cracks of client support. Super disappointed in this multi million dollar company. :(

Alyson Schlobohm

June 4th, 2020 , VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I read a lot of negative reviews about their customer service and billing and decided to try it anyway. Like so many other customers, I signed up for the free trial, cancelled before, provided proof of cancellation, and they charged me anyway. I tried to get a refund and they kept saying my account was still active even though IN THEIR SYSTEM it said "cancelled".

Rachel Gridley-Waters

May 26th, 2020 Marysville, WA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Bodypump is amazing! I could never motivate myself to stick with weight training of any sort until I found this. It has helped me build and maintain strength, and it's really fun. Each class feels like such an accomplishment.

Ella Tetrault

May 19th, 2020 Hamilton, ON DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I only used the service once and did not cancel in time for the next month. Wrote them a message saying I could not afford it during Covid and they refused to give me a refund even though it was the day of the renewal. Really, really terrible company. Don’t sign up, it’s a scam. There are so many wonderful ones out there - this one is not worth it.

Chris

March 5th, 2019 St. Petersburg, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Shady business practices. I contacted Les Mills to cancel my membership and they replied right away confirming my cancellation. Great. Then a month later I see a charge on my credit card for another month, so I emailed them again asking to cancel my account and reverse the charge. At that point they reply and say I actually needed to cancel through a third party vendor, and they didn't own my membership. So what exactly did they cancel the first time I emailed them?

Alicia

January 15th, 2019 Red Hook, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am reviewing only for the On Demand Les Mills program in all fairness. I want to say that I made certain that my issues are not user error problems before writing a poor review. The live classes might be awesome but the online program is ridiculous. The work outs are not labeled so users have no idea what the work outs consist of. There are 100's of work outs all conglomerated together randomly. The video quality is very poor and just a recording of different live sessions. I have participated in a similar program in my gym and loved it! This online offering is unorganized, not user friendly, frustrating and in my opinion not worth it. I paid for a full 1 year subscription up front and when I inquired about a refund they sent an email saying they will cancel however, I will have access to the program for the continuum of my subscription, and not issue a refund. That is a scam in my opinion. I could see if it was a monthly subscription but not an entire year.

Lesa Burgess

August 20th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I love the variety of Les Mills classes I can take. I never have to get bored of a workout!

Dallin Smith

April 25th, 2018 Kaysville, UT

I love the Les Mills Classes at my local Golds Gym! The trainers and the class are awesome. I am really motivated to work out in the Les Mills classes

Michael

April 16th, 2018 Ogden, UT

Best classes we especially at golds gym

Row

November 11th, 2016

This gym is good. The staff are nice. They are well educated. Gym equipment is kept in good order. etc etc However, if you need to talk to staff about anything to do with your account /membership/customer service issue, you are doomed. Very very difficult to get to talk to anyone at all . . . . ever. :( And when you do they are not aloud to help you - everything must be done via email and it is painfully slow.

Lori Ann Martindale

October 25th, 2016 Castro Valley, CA

Not good. I have tried calling multiple times to get help with technical trouble with downloading my material. The representatives have told me to refer to a You Tube video that doesn't work. The second time I called I spoke with a customer service rep who's tone of voice indicated to me that I was a bother to her. Still having trouble and my workshop deadline drawing near, I tried calling again only to be disconnected at least five times. When I finally did get through and spoke with someone they once again spoke to me in a bothered , rude tone and connected me to "someone who could help" That someone was a voicemail stating that the "someone" isn't available. I was recruited to become an instructor by my local gym, paid $300.00 out of my own pocket for the Body Pump workshop, and can't receive adequate support for trouble shooting my study material. Unbelievable. Not happy.

Lawrence

January 18th, 2016

Boring repetitive routines that your body can adapt to. They don't really do much too alter it in any way. Even the grit series doesn't change much. They either reuse the workout you have done before or repeat the same one.

Rebecca Cofod

August 21st, 2015 Hudson, MA

Great programs! Designed by teams and tested so they offer more than any individual instructor EVER could. Great music, Great Workouts, Great Results!!

Annie Buck

August 20th, 2015 Colorado Springs, CO

I have been taking Body Pump, Body Combat and Body Step classes for about 2 months through my local Gold's Gym. I love the classes. The instructors constantly check form, and correct us when we're off - which you will miss with a video format. I can think I am doing a move correctly, but without being an expert, I can be wrong. The instructors switch up the routines so they don't get boring. I have made consistent strength gains and I can see the changes in my body. As a 47 year old woman, I know weight training is essential to keeping my bones healthy, and Body Pump is a fun and challenging way of accomplishing that. I am very impressed with the Les Mills classes, and am looking forward to Sh'Bam. coming soon to my gym!

Kitsy Powers Bridges

August 19th, 2015 Mobile, AL

I was so hooked on BodyPump when they brought it into my gym that 6 months later I got my certification to teach the class. I taught BodyPump for 10 years and had so much fun!!!

Linda Rabideau

August 19th, 2015 Jacksonville, FL

I take several of the Les Mills classes at my gym and love everyone of them. The music and instructors and doing this with other members is very encouraging and so much fun! It is the first time I have really stuck with a gym membership and lost weight while building muscle and stamina.

Dan Krueger

August 17th, 2015 Stevens Point, WI

So boring. Routines are boring, repetitive and uninspring. Songs end before the routine is done and then comes back in mid-song using a pretty shoddy edit. Group Power is a much better alternative.

John Bommarito

August 13th, 2015 Las Vegas, NV

Simply the best, most efficient fitness program out there without going to a personal trainer. It's plug & play anywhere in the world.

Lisa

August 13th, 2015 Newnan, GA

My husband and I started the in-home version of Les Mills Body Pump sold by BeachBody. We loved it. I looked forward to working out every day to this program because the leaders are entertaining, constantly encouraging, they do it with you and I love their accents!! Now, every time I hear those songs on the radio I want to start working out! My daughter is doing the program now and is one her second round through! I love their warm up and their cool down....most thorough I've had yet!

Kim Kelley

August 10th, 2015 New Braunfels, TX

Les Mills DVD sets from BeachBody are awesome. Muscles guaranteed, even if you slack off & do 2-3 X per week. Wish they didn't part ways. Will be mixing this up with my routines the rest of my life. LOVE THIS!

Kim

August 7th, 2015 Richmond, VA

Great classes - the gym I've been going to actually changed to another class format. I've now joined a different gym to get back into Les Mills Classes......

Melinda Sprueill

August 6th, 2015 Laguna Niguel, CA

Les Mills are amazing classes! If you work them, they will work for you! Body Pump, Step, and CX works are the best!

Debbie Maize Costello

August 5th, 2015 Prosperity, PA

DO NOT LIKE the Les Mills classes. Doing same thing week after week is boring. Instructors are too busy worry about the choreograph their form is sacrificed and no time to correct participates form.

Jan Harris Rabinowitz

August 5th, 2015 Atlanta, GA

Love Les Mills! Since I dropped out of my gym I really miss the fun workouts full of variety - especially Body Pump and Body Step.

lois savell

August 5th, 2015 Katy, TX

I have been doing body pump for four years now and love it a lot. It is my addition, however, the current release has been horrible. Specifically the music namely the Burning Up for the back track. It is the most vile song and lirics ever. Our instructors cannot listen to it to practice when their children are anywhere around. Les Mills you forget that I pay for that class and I am deeply offended by it and have asked it to be removed from the class. This is not just my opinion but that of the entire class., I do not know what you were thinking but shame on you for disrespecting all of us with that filth.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Katie

August 3rd, 2015 Luling, LA

All Les Mills programs are safe, effective, motivational, awesome music, full body workout.

Jerf

August 3rd, 2015 Poway, CA

Les Mill's programs are all good!

Terry

August 3rd, 2015 Cary, NC

I love the variety of classes that Les Mills offers to help me grow strong in a variety of ways. I average 7+ classes a week and can't get enough! Thank you for all the effort y'all do to make the classes a great experience to help me grow stronger as I grow older <3

Lees Hummel

July 31st, 2015 Piscataway, NJ

Les Mills is amazing. Under the "bad" portion they mentioned that only instructors can purchase the videos to work out from home. That is no longer true. Anyone can purchase Les Mils work outs "on demand" at Les Mills.com. My only regret is that I didn't get certified 10 years ago and I waited too long.

Shirley

July 30th, 2015 Seven Valleys, PA

I like all of Les Mills

Jessie Palliser

July 30th, 2015 Fort Mill, SC

Les Mills Combat Saved My Life. I Joined the Fight to Get Fight and with this I Completely Destroyed my Hypothyroidism because my Metabolism shot through the roof. I lost an incredible 22 Pounds + 29 Inches in just 8 weeks following this Program. I enjoyed the trainers so much that I advanced to Les Mills Pump to join them again and meet the rest of the Pump Team. I got Strong and felt Empowered for the first time in my Adult Life. I had Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and with that all the associated pain once I picked up that Bar my Fatigue and Pain Vanished. My Fibromyalgia also has Dwindled thanks to Pump. I lost an astonishing 33 Pounds + 55 Inches (55") Following the Les Mills Pump Program. I am a completely different person. I turned my Flab into Fab and feel So Strong. My Nickname is Strong Mommy Ninja all thanks to Les Mills Programs. I give it the highest rating on the scale 10! I encourage anyone suffering from issues that make weight loss and finding muscle definition virtually impossible to give Les Mills a try. You will not be dissappointed. By following Les Mills to a T - I became a Beachbody Challenge Winner so far I've won $2,500 for completely transforming my life. And I'm currently up for voting for the Beachbody Challenge Quarterly Prize of $5,000. And I owe all my success and my Personal Drive to Inspire and Motivate by Paying it Forward to Les Mills!

Megan Post

July 29th, 2015 Clarks Summit, PA

Was personally the best program I have ever completed and inspired me to join martial arts and start training Jiu Jitsu 2-3 times a week as well as to become a certified personal trainer... I couldn't recommend it more Highly ...

John Bommarito

July 27th, 2015 Henderson, NV

The Les Mills series of fitness classes are an excellent way to access the very best training routines at a local level. The instructors are all disciplined and superb at what they do. An average person can get a full body workout in a one-hour Body Pump class. Body Flow provides the perfect complement to Body Pump. Taking these two classes 2-3 times per week have made an enormous difference in my muscle strength, health and stamina.

Lyndon

July 27th, 2015 Hayward, CA

I've been doing BodyAttack, Bodypump,CXWORX. for about 2 years. These program really are amazing they can be challenging at times. They worked your core and build good endurance and stamina.

Meg

July 27th, 2015 Pittsburgh, PA

I've done Pump since 2000, Step, Flow and Combat since 07. STOP TRYING TO BE WHAT OTHER PROGRAMS ARE DOING (SHORT TERM) and go bak to what you are. Pump--your music SUCKS!!! Stop with the Dub Step--pay some money (or not) and do song with lyrics. OMG, I WANT TO DIE WITH THIS CRAP!! Step--YOU ARE NOW UNSAFE!!! PEOPLE ARE GETTING HURT. Stop it now!!! You can burn massive calories without hurting yourself. Combat--SAME THING! Flow, you still rock--give the choreographers a raise. They rock it and haven't left what the program started. BTW--Seen RIP'D?? It'll ***, if you don't go back to basics!

Omar Raudez

July 27th, 2015 Pocatello, ID

Ever since introduced to Les Mills and now teaching Body Pump it has become my new passion. Very organized training, and the trainers believe in their product. This is a very motivational company that brings the best in people and the motivation is contagious.

Colleen Faler

July 23rd, 2015 Hagerstown, MD

I have been doing Body Flow for the past 6 years and LOVE IT!!! I'm not a certified instructor, just a gym-goer that lost ALL her baby weight from Les Mills programs (I also do Combat). LOVE IT!!!! Best gym program I've ever come across.

Tammy Valero

July 22nd, 2015 Pittsburgh, PA

I love Les Mills! Bodyjam is my favorite program. The reason you don't just find these videos out there is because you are supposed to be taking classes from trained professionals. They spend a lot of time and money getting trained to do these classes in a professional club/gym environment. Enjoy! I give them 5 stars!

Laura Kickbox Kraft

July 22nd, 2015 Portland, OR

I love all of Les Mills' formats! I only wish we could get Power Jump in the US, as that is my favorite format of all. Any chance we can popularize urban rebounding here? Great low impact leg work and cardio!

Geralyn

July 21st, 2015 Carlsbad, CA

For 10 years I've been taking several Les Mills classes consistently, usually 2-3x/week each (Body Pump, Body Combat, Body Flow, CX Works (started later)). The programs are well-choreographed to provide a consistently balanced and challenging work out. You never have to be unsure of the quality of the class that you are taking because the instructors follow the choreographed class. You are also not at the "whim" of how an instructor feels that day, or what they might want to do. Quality and consistency are of the utmost importance. Also highly significant, new "launches" are released quarterly, and instructors follow the new choreography for about a month, and then mix in older tracks to keep it fresh and to continually challenge your body. The music is also great! There is a great variety and it's motivating. I can't say enough good things about Les Mills programs, except I don't have enough time for more classes!! I can't imagine taking any other classes or working out with gym equipment. There is nothing better.

Julie Nurenberg

July 20th, 2015 Grand Rapids, MI

I am a Beachbody Coach. I got started with the Les Mills products. These are by far my favorite workouts! I've done other home workouts and got bored. But Les Mills keeps me pumped up. I have Pump & Combat. I have so much fun doing these workouts, I often don't feel like I'm working out (especially with Combat). I would recommend Les Mills to anyone (which I have).

Dawn

July 20th, 2015 Bennington, VT

I do Body Pump and Body Combat twice a week and I love them both!

Myra

July 20th, 2015 Saugerties, NY

Love my Les Mills Combat that I bought from Beachbody. It is the best overall workout I have ever done. Wish Les Mills' workouts were more accessible even now that he severed ties with Beachbody

Alina

July 20th, 2015 Poway, CA

The instructors are the best. They make sure you have proper form so you won't cause injury. Love RPM, Body Pump, GRIT Cardio & Strength and Body Combat.

Carla

July 20th, 2015 Terre Haute, IN

I love Les Mills!!! But I totally agree about their website! Question....where did you end up finding the videos for sale...other than the 2 programs through beachbody??? I still have not been able to find them.

agibs

July 20th, 2015 Ormond Beach, FL

I take Body Combat and Body Pump every week at my local YMCA and I LOVE it!!! I'm not a person who is motivated to push myself hard enough or long enough at home so it's not an issue for me that the dvd's are no longer available. I've also tried Body Attack and Body Flow but Attack is hard on my knees and Flow is just too slow for my preferences. I highly recommend Les Mills classes. They have helped me get in the best shape of my life and I am 43 years old.

DJ

July 20th, 2015 Portage, MI

The very best in group fitness classes. Great energy and music all choreographed to challenge and change you! I am at a gym with extremely good instructors that bring solid knowledge of what each program offers, are high energy and very motivated. They offer Pump, Combat, Step, Attack, Flow, GRIT, RPM and CXWorks.

Alison

July 20th, 2015 Phoenix, AZ

Les Mills is AMAZING! I have never been to classes so motivation! The music, the moves and the workouts! And they change it up every few mths! I LOVE Attack #1 fave! But I love pump, RPM, combat and step! I have followed Les Mills from Australia on the central coast, all the way to phoenix Az where I live now. I travel 25 min to get to the closest gym that has Les Mills!!! FYI I have 3 gyms all within a 5-10 min drive! I wouldn't have it any other way! I love Les mils and wouldn't go anywhere else!

Barbara Mello-Henares

July 20th, 2015 Carmel, CA

I enjoy all of LM's programs; the certified instructors at CVAC are great!!!!!

Shirley Ann

July 17th, 2015 Fredericksburg, VA

The Les Mills instructors I know are the best! They will take the time to show you what you don't understand. I love the program. I take CXWorx, Combat, Pump, Vive, Flow, RPM. I am familiar with Step and Attack but they are too hard on my knees.