Founded on November 15, 2014, Vasa Gym is a Utah-based fitness center chain focused on providing an inspiration fitness experience to all types of consumers, for all skill levels, with a mission to uplift anyone who walks through the doors through fun, happy fitness. Vasa has 23 locations across Utah with a brand promise of having the best gym prices in the state. The word “Vasa” comes from the Latin term for “vessel.” Vasa Fitness currently has over 150,000 gym family members in Utah and opened its doors to eight new facilities in Colorado, one in Kansas, and one in Oklahoma.

#1 Planet Fitness chevron_right
3.7
3.6
#3 Gold's Gym chevron_right
2.9

The Good

• Price and contracts
  • Vasa buddy pass
  • Childcare services
  • Upfront fees
  • Classes
  • Trainers and nutrition
  • Other available amenities

Price and Contracts

Memberships can be purchased as low as $9.99 monthly for the basic plan; however, basic plans do not come with access to fitness classes, group fitness, or personal trainers. For those seeking classes and other amenities such as child care and access to ball courts, intramural activities, and steam rooms, the fitness plus plan at $21.99 monthly would be the best option. If you are interested in taking your fitness to the next level with a number of team training sessions and InBody composition scans, you can invest in the Vasa Fit plan with a monthly fee of $49.99 per month. This plan does not require an initiation fee and the 1st month is free while you make sure that it is something that you are interested in.

Vasa Buddy Pass

It is not uncommon for people to want to be able to bring a friend or family member with them to the gym. Vasa provides the opportunity for members to pay an extra $15.99 per month for unlimited access for guests. Each time that you attend the gym or facility, you are able to bring 2 guests with you. Your guest pass will provide them access to the facility

Childcare Services

Child Care is $3.00 per 90 minutes per visit or $10 per month for the first child and $5 per month each additional child added. (It must be set up through automatic billing at the club). There are also additional charges for picking up your child late. Racquetball is complimentary for all Vasa memberships except Basic. An additional $10.00 guest fee will be charged per participant if they are not a VASA Member or if they are a Basic member. Overall, we found Vasa's membership fees to be much more affordable than many of their competitors whose monthly fees can get as high as $150 or more.

Upfront Fees

There have not been any complaints online regarding upfront fees for any of Vasa's membership packages. We found many gyms require upfront fees upon joining/signing up for a membership with fees as high as $300. With such low monthly fees to begin with, Vasa beats the competition in this regard. Enrollment in the basic membership requires a $49.00 enrollment fee and the fitness and vasa fit plans do not have extra fees.

Classes

Each Vasa Fitness center offers independent classes ranging from cycling, pilates, and Zumba, to HIIT, R.I.P.P.E.D. and Power Pump, and water-exercise programs such as aerobics and Zumba. Vasa is the only fitness center offering CardioCinema, allowing runners to watch movies during their workout. Members can enjoy a vast array of fitness options such as aerobic classes, cardio equipment, cardio cinema rooms, free weights and strength training machines, private personal training, and group fitness sessions. Customers across the board are pleased with the number and selection of classes offered.

Trainers and Nutrition

Exclusive access to personal trainers is available for members at an additional fee. Sessions are 60 minutes and trainers provide education on the use of equipment, cardio exercise, supplements, weight lifting, resistance training, and healthy lifestyle nutrition tips. Vasa takes an innovative approach by using a Visual Fitness Planner which assess the likelihood of contracting various diseases and cancer, calculates chronological age against seven health risk factors determining a "true health age," as well as showing members a 3D image of their bodies' potential change through weight loss and muscle growth.

Another aspect setting Vasa apart is its attempt to make a difference in local communities by charitable donations and programs helping families and individuals get and stay healthy. Vasa offers free weekend passes to anyone coming in, in hopes to attain new clientele. Previously yearly passes have been given to winners of nominated families who communities deem deserving. The gym also provides a blog on its company website educating consumers with healthy tips as well as information on trainers.

Other Available Amenities

Other amenities the company offers at their fitness centers include pool, Jacuzzi, tanning, hot tub, sauna, tennis courts, massage beds, daycare, free weights area, and functional strength training areas. Depending on the location, there may be one or more amenities that are not offered. We found this to be a downside, since the majority of the locations are in the same state/region. A plus is the variety of amenities offered. Many of the fitness centers we reviewed had the basic pool, Jacuzzi, and sauna. The wide variety of amenities that Vasa offers are typically for more expensive high end gyms.

The Bad

• Hidden fees
  • Vasa membership cancellation
  • Equipment
  • Cleanliness

Hidden Fees

Vasa also charges penalty fees if a member sets up automatic payments and the card used doesn't function properly. A $40 fee will be charged, even while not being under contract. Make sure that your card is working and that you are in touch with customer service if you are concerned with being overcharged. The sooner you get in, the better your chance of being helped. If you are looking to cancel your membership you will be charged $40 on top of the other monthly fees or contract fees that you will need to pay. An annual fee of $39.99 is charged each year which is considered the "rate guarantee fee". Vasa should work to factor these costs into the monthly price instead of making the cancellation process more confusing.

Vasa Membership Cancellation

According to several dissatisfied customer complaints scattered on the web, once under contract there is simply no possible way to get out of it, not even with cold hard cash, unless members can provide proof they have moved outside of a 25-mile radius of each of their 33 gym locations. Once proof has been provided, there is still the chance that fees for service during the closing of the account will be charged. When you contact your local gym or Vasa customer service to cancel, make sure that you know exactly you will be required to pay upon cancellation.

Equipment

Equipment for most Vasa locations is fairly new and the gyms are large and well-maintained. Some customers have complained that there aren't enough machines to handle busy high-traffic hours (i.e. after work crowd). Also, some gym locations have old or broken equipment. For example, one customer complained to the Vasa management on three separate occasions about the broken stationary bikes in their CardioTheater which were Out of Order or in a poor state of functioning. Having to wait to use equipment during rush hours is a common issue we found for many fitness centers in addition to the equipment being old, broken or outdated. This still puts Vasa at less-than-excellent in this area.

Cleanliness, Sunday Closures

Vasa's cleanliness policy states that if a piece of equipment is broken or an area of the gym is not clean, for members to report it to the front desk immediately. Many have complained of the sanitary situation at some facilities stating the floors are covered with dirt and hair for days. Other complaints have been made about safety issues, having power cords and strips showing open wires, providing proof on social media sites. Complaints of doors not opening on time, causing members to request a prorated amount for membership costs. Many members including students have also complained of the hours of operation in Utah County and facilities being closed on Sundays.

The Bottom Line

Throughout several member reviews, most customers thoroughly enjoy Vasa Fitness for its low prices. If consumers are looking to solely utilize the gym equipment, a basic membership is more than fairly priced. According to members, the flip side of the low pricing is that you get what you pay for. Recently newer fitness equipment has been installed in several locations to replace the broken equipment. The broad array of classes offered make it worth overlooking some of the gym's flaws.

Other strengths are Vasa's personal training program and additional amenities-which are generous for the inexpensive monthly price. Gyms are not open 24 hours and each have different hours of operation, which can be a downfall to some. There have also been complaints concerning the cleanliness of the facility. The major one being dirty floors that have not been swept in days. Overall, this fitness facility has many attributes their competitors offer, making it an easy decision for curious consumers to step inside and find out if it fits their fitness goals and lifestyle needs.

3.6

Madison Scott
September 16th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Vasa is fine. Their facility is great. However, I always feeling like it was a meat market. Not my type of people.

Dallin
September 11th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS

Do NOT get a VASA membership if you are just looking to "try it out." If you decide it's not working for you within the first or second month, you will STILL be charged the yearly fee (~$55), the cancellation-within-6-months fee ($25), and the value of whatever membership you had if the pay-date falls within their 30-day cancellation period. My wife and I were told we would only pay a $25 cancellation fee if we decided it wasn't what we were looking for. Instead, we ended up paying $120! VASA is only for those who are in it for the LONG-TERM and know what they want.

Willard Maughan
September 9th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS

I was satisfied with my experience up until the day we cancelled. We are moving out of state and can no longer use the facilities. After going to the local branch, I was instructed to go online to cancel. Our monthly dues had not been paid for the coming month, so I figured I would have to pay that. However, they additionally charged me a rate guarantee fee for the following year. The one we will not be using the gym for at all. Per person. They charged us $150 for myself and my wife to cancel a "no monthly contract". I will let everyone within earshot know of your practices.

kristin Gneiting
September 9th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Vasa is the gym that I am a member of. They have everything one needs in a gym, the equipment, the locations, the easy sign up that is a small monthly fee that I can keep going or not easily. They have great people that work there and also many classes that someone can take advantage of.

Ashley Gneiting
September 9th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I currently have a Vasa fitness membership in Utah and love it! There is a variety of fitness classes offered as well as a pool, sauna, hot tub and pool. I also like the hours of the open gym basketball court to just go shoot around if I want. There are convenient locations to my school and home and it is never too crowded. It is very affordable to join as well. I would highly recommend anyone who enjoys getting out to a nice gym, especially in the winter here in Utah.

Sage Robertson
August 7th, 2019 Cedar City, UT DETAILS

Every Vasa Fitness I have been into has had great facilities, they have all been super clean and easy to feel comfortable in.

Krystal Taylor
August 2nd, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT

I love the environment they provide, and the amenities that are included. The staff are helpful, but as a poor college student, I never purchased a membership. I wish they had a "day cost" so I could just go once. I always go with friends who have memberships that allow them to bring a guest. In order for me to enter I had to fill out a document with my name and contact information, which I wish I never had filled out because I would get a text from Vasa every other week inviting me to "sign up today" for some awesome deal they had going on. Since then, every time I go, I simply put my old landline number I had as a kid.

Tracy Womack
July 23rd, 2019 Cedar City, UT DETAILS

I love Vasa. I love to exercise, I am also a clean freak. I have been to many other gyms. I feel that Vasa keeps their gyms cleaner than the others. The trainers at Vasa Fitness listen to me when I tell them about certain routines of exercises. They are very thoughtful.

Mazi Marcel Womack
July 19th, 2019 Cedar City, UT DETAILS

One of my favorite gyms. Great prices, and great facilities. Also the staff are very friendly whenever I have visited.

Lucy
July 15th, 2019 Hyrum, UT DETAILS

Great work out gym. Such nice equipment and the workers are so helpful. The equipment works so well and the place is always clean.

Paige Baldwin
July 11th, 2019 Wellsville, UT DETAILS

I used Vasa one summer with my sister and I really loved it. They had so many options of things to do, it was great. I was sad to leave when I moved. The facility was always clean and well taken care of.

Chloe Adams
July 11th, 2019 Morgan, UT DETAILS

Vasa is so clean! I love coming here for my time away from the kids. It’s racks are always put away and I always see someone coming around making sure it is tidy.

Bridget
July 8th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Keep charging me after I met with a manager BEFORE the membership, before cancelling, and after canceling; plus emailed back and forth with a worker for a while. VASA does not have Integrity and will rip you off for their own gain. Their mission is money, not public health. Be weary.

Whitney Stanko
July 1st, 2019 Smithfield, UT DETAILS

Very crowded, but you always have to wait for the equipment you want to use. Nice equipment and nice workers.

Rachel Ellsworth
June 27th, 2019 Gilbert, AZ

I love Vasa! Conveniently located and full of fun classes to take, Vasa fulfills all of my workout needs!

Jason
June 24th, 2019 Draper, UT DETAILS

I love Vasa because it is an incredible value for the price. The staff are always helpful and I especially love the classes that are offered.

Boston
June 24th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

Canceled my membership cause they got rid of half the basketball courts and they continued to bill my account for 4 months. Once I got in contact with them they said they would send me a refund via check in the mail which I never received.

Jayde Walker
June 18th, 2019 Provo, UT

Even through problems, vasa has always had great customer service and willing to help where they can.

Jacob Ball
June 18th, 2019 West Jordan, UT DETAILS

They have a lot of amenities but it is usually crowded and not always clean. Could be better kept

Lilly
June 14th, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS

I had a membership here for 10 months and I decided to change gyms to somewhere closer but I asked them to cancel my membership over the phone because they said I could do it that way, but then I got an annual fee on my card so I called and they told me I had to go in to cancel. I would’ve gone in if they would’ve told me that. I am not happy.

Haley Baldwin
June 13th, 2019 DETAILS

VASA is a great fitness center. The equipment is nice and well kept. The gym itself is always clean. They have many class options other than just weights which is great. The price can be a little steep for some, but I think it’s worth it. I wish there was one in Logan so that I could still go to it!

Maryn skinner
June 13th, 2019 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I had a membership at vasa while I lived in Utah and loved it. The employees were always very helpful and made sure I knew what I was doing. Can’t wait to go back.

Jeremy Balls
June 12th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

I did not have a good experience with Vasa. Too busy and overcrowded. The equipment was nice and in good shape, as it was a new location. Didn't like the atmosphere, too many people doing it for show. Watch out for the cancelation fee when signing up. Other gyms don't have the same cancelation fee.

Isaac
June 10th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

I just got a vasa membership and this is the nicest gym I’ve ever been to. It has a pool, basketball court, gym, track, and a ton more. I take my boys here to work out and play basketball and we all have a good time.

Brenda
June 10th, 2019 Spanish Fork, UT DETAILS

I’m not impressed with their customer service. It’s very frustrating that no one knows how to handle my situation and always needing to talk to a manager.

Samie Cummings
June 5th, 2019 Ephraim, UT DETAILS

Vasa is great! They have very nice equipment for you to workout on. And the customer service is great!

Courtney Eames
June 5th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

Vasa has it all! That also makes it very crowded so it is hard to use the machine you want. It is not the place for me but all of my friends love it and go there daily! When I went to cancel my membership vasa kept charging me after and I had a lot of problems getting my money back.

Beth Farmer
June 4th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I think Vasa has done a great job updating the "globo gyms" of the world to accommodate various types of fitness and exercise. I've had both really good and bad experiences with Vasa employees and I think it just depends on the location. Some are better than others. Which is unfortunate because if you live by one that is managed poorly it's worth it to drive farther or to go to a different gym. I wish they're gym management was more controlled and more consistent, so you could walk into any Vasa and know exactly the type of service you're going to get.

Tracy Hill
June 3rd, 2019 Draper, UT DETAILS

I pay for my daughter to go to this gym and she loves it. She loves the access to the fitness classes an the pool for swimming laps. She loves how she feels comfortable and safe in their facilities and I love that she can bring me as a guest!

Nicole LeBaron
June 3rd, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Vasa is huge in Utah and their gyms are great! Lots of space to work out and lots of support from the employees if we ever need help with a workout.

Brittany Bray
May 31st, 2019 Springville, UT DETAILS

I love vas’s! I go almost every day! Lots of fun classes to attend. And I love they have a daycare option.

C Monroe
May 29th, 2019 DETAILS

Overall a good experience however the gym is very busy and often I have to wait to get access to a station. That's frustrating.

Rylie Crandall
May 28th, 2019 Draper, UT DETAILS

Vasa’s staff is friendly and the facilities are maintained well and are kept clean. I love how much is included for a smaller price compared to other gyms.

Christy Moore
May 28th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

A great gym, but my experience hasn’t been good with the staff. I was leaving once with my headphones in and all of the sudden the whole staff was yelling “uhhh bye Felicia!” Talk about rude and childish.

Anne Sainsbury
May 28th, 2019 Payson, UT DETAILS

As far as amenities go, Vasa has it all! However, you need to be aware of the hidden fees that are attached with registering! They say you can start for "free" but then after a few months they'll throw a $50 fee at you! So besides being relatively sneaky about that--it's a great gym for the average user!

Tavian
May 24th, 2019 West Jordan, UT DETAILS

Love this gym been many time over many years great atmosphere and great quality

Camilla Lundberg
May 24th, 2019 Mapleton, UT

I absolutely love vasa! they have the best equipment and its actually pretty clean for being a gym i especially love the spanish fork one with the movie theater! i love being able to earn points and get prizes! i love how its so cheap and i love that they answer all your questions and help you with anything

Emma
May 24th, 2019 Roseville, CA DETAILS

Tons of machines to work with along with many amenities that come with the membership. Love all the classes and staff is very helpful/kind.

Brooke Herbon
May 24th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

Vasa is actually the best fitness center! I went to golds gym for a while and finally switched to vasa would recommend to anyone looking for a good, high quality gym experience.

Hannah Anderson
May 23rd, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Overall, a nice facility with loads of classes to choose from with times that vary.

May 20th, 2019 DETAILS

Great facilities and people, software is very helpful, very helpful in answering my questions

Elisa Vakapuna
May 20th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

VASA GYM IS AMAZING! From the equipment to the staff they are all awesome!

BLF
May 16th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I like the huge selection of equipment that Vasa has. I rarely have a hard time finding cardio equipment to use and I like the theatre they have that shows movies where you can exercise.

Hannah Judd
May 16th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT

They're pretty much a regular gym, nothing crazy bad, nothing crazy good. Like many gyms, they catch you easily in things like trying to cancel - they make you cancel WAY in advance, and if you don't, you end up paying more. But, they don't email/text me as much as other gyms, which is nice. Equipment mostly clean and working. I like that I could go on my husband's pass (he paid extra to be able to bring guests) rather than have to buy my own.

Preston KFowler
May 15th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Vasa is a great place to exercise although the only down side is the type of people that it attracts, typical weirdos and meat heads.

Craig
May 15th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

Vasa is a great chain of gyms. With the upgraded pass I am able to go to the gym when I am out of town at any Vasa which makes it very nice. The gyms are clean and the equipment is up to date. Look into Vasa if you haven't already!

Sepi
May 14th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

Awesome they are very friendly and I like their gym equipments

Reese
May 14th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I am currently going to Vasa and I love that they have convenient locations. They have a very inexpensive price, but it has everything that one needs in a gym. Clean, lots of machines and space, great people that work there and all the extras you need if you want them.

Dean
May 14th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS

I was a long time member of Vasa before moving and I really enjoyed my membership there. The only part that I didn't love was how busy it would get sometimes. I guess that is an indicator of a great gym though so it says a lot about them. I loved the price, equipment and facility.

Russell
May 13th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

I went into the gym by my old house. I let them know I would likely be moving within the month, and instead of giving me good advice, they coerced me into buying a membership with training. They told me if I ended up moving I could simply cancel. What they did NOT tell me is that I would end up going to ONE training session, move, and still have to pay for the next month of membership fees. My total cost ended up being $317.54 for going ONE TIME. The most ridiculous, dishonest bunch of gym hosts I've ever come across. I do not recommend VASA to anyone.