Planet Fitness was founded in 1992 by Michael Grondahl, who purchased a financially struggling gym, and implemented a low-cost business model by dramatically reducing prices to compete against better-known brands. The goal was to meet the needs of occasional or first-time health club members, rather than more experienced members. The Planet Fitness brand has positioned itself as the leader for getting great value from a gym membership. Planet Fitness focuses on the average person who wants to get in shape and maintain a healthy lifestyle. Planet Fitness is unique in the fact that they discourage body-building and “gymtimidation.” Today, Planet Fitness has over 1000 locations with an estimated 6 million members across the United States. The company’s locations are either corporate- or individually owned and operated.

3.7
#2 Vasa chevron_right
3.6
#3 Gold's Gym chevron_right
2.9

The Good

• Planet fitness prices and contracts
  • Planet fitness black card
  • "Judgement Free Zone"
  • Extra membership fees
  • Equipment
  • Personal training
  • Planet fitness locations

Planet Fitness Prices and Contracts

Planet Fitness is possibly the cheapest gym membership available at only $10/month. Contracts are month-to-month with no obligation. For example, certain fitness centers in the industry require you to make a three-to-six-month commitment upon signup. When it comes to price, on average, monthly gym memberships cost anywhere from $55/month to as much as $161/month.

Planet Fitness Black Card

Planet Fitness offers two types of Planet Fitness memberships: the $10 or Black Card membership. The $10 membership is the basic package without many perks beyond unlimited access to that particular gym. The Black Card Membership costs $21.99/month. If you are interested in this card membership, you should reach out to a membership representative.

Black Card perks include 20 percent off Reebok products at outlet store locations and 10 percent off at Planet Fitness' online store. You also get unlimited access to other Planet Fitness locations, as well as to their massage chairs and tanning beds. Black Card Members receive a Planet Fitness t-shirt and gets to take part in Planet Fitness' Pizza Mondays and Bagel Tuesdays.

"Judgement Free Zone"

Planet Fitness strives to make all fitness members feel welcome, no matter their fitness level. The focal point of Planet Fitness is to eliminate the pressure and stress that comes from "gymtimidation" while participating in fitness training activities. This practice allows for fitness members to work out how and when they want. Going to the gym and feeling like you aren't good enough to be there just doesn't cut it. If you have struggled with that in the past, trying the Planet Fitness service may be your new fitness solution.

Extra Membership Fees

Planet Fitness charges a small $5 enrollment fee aside from the monthly membership fee. When compared with other gyms in the fitness chain market, Planet fitness stands out. Most gyms charge an enrollment fee or initiation fee of $50 to $100. This makes becoming a member at Planet Fitness very affordable. Customers should be aware that Planet Fitness charges a $29 annual fee that is typically assessed in October. This fee is affordable for people on a budget when contrasted with the majority of fitness companies who charge hidden fees of $75 or more.

Equipment

Generally, there is always enough gym equipment (machines, strength equipment, and weights) for everyone. Planet Fitness has a lot of cardio machines, free weights of up to 80 lbs., curl bars, and other strength training equipment. The machines and equipment are adequate for the average gym user and is kept clean. Cardio machines are abundant which is a major advantage since many gyms do not provide enough of them. Treadmills are available with personal televisions for fitness members' use. Other features that may be of interest to potential customers are tanning beds, a Planet Fitness Gym App, and personal training.

Planet Fitness Locations

Planet Fitness has over 1,500 locations across all 50 states in the U.S., Canada, and Latin America. This makes it easy for members who spend their time traveling or for those who move to a different state to find a Planet Fitness club near them.

The Bad

• Limited Classes
  • Lunk Alarm

Limited Classes

While Planet Fitness offers some workout classes, they are smaller and much less diverse than some people may be used to. While many other gyms offer yoga, cycling, Zumba, barre, and many other classes, Planet Fitness generally provides classes that focus on specific muscle workouts. The main purpose of the classes is to help new members learn how to use the equipment or design their own individual workout plan. Still, many gym-goers enjoy having the option to pick from various classes and appreciate the social aspect of a group workout. Planet Fitness claims that it appeals to average gym member, but the limited class options suggest it caters more towards those who want to focus on just working out and not to those who want a more socially interactive workout.

Lunk Alarm

Planet Fitness prides itself on the fact that it caters to the average person and provides a "Judgement Free Zone." However, some members may feel that the lunk alarm—an alarm that goes off whenever someone drops their weights, acts aggressively, carries a gallon jug of water, or grunts excessively and too loudly—directly goes against their no-judgment policy. It is possible that members may feel that the lunk alarm unfairly stereotypes those who want to put a little extra effort into their workout.

The Bottom Line

Planet Fitness is the most affordable gym on the market at $10 to $21.99/month. Their additional fees are minuscule compared to most gyms, making becoming a Planet Fitness member exceptionally affordable-even on a smaller budget.

Planet Fitness may be the most affordable, but this comes with no-frills. It lacks the amenities most gyms offer such as pools, tennis courts, childcare, saunas, etc. The company also does not provide a variety of group fitness classes, which is a huge attraction for most gym-goers. If you're looking to work out on your own and don't want to spend a lot of money on a gym membership, Planet Fitness is recommended; however, if you're looking for nutritional coaching and/or fitness classes like Zumba or Yoga, we recommend finding another gym that costs more, since Planet Fitness does not provide these membership benefits.

3.7

Wayne Galindo
September 16th, 2019 Pompano Beach, FL DETAILS

i will make this short, ''''''dont join this gym''''' in coconutcreek fl plaza, by publix,.2 managers are big liars, always making mistakes and black listing customers on purpose, debbie and jason, the worst, i ever seened,..there are better gyms out there,..with better customer service,..

Sue
September 13th, 2019 Houston, TX DETAILS

Horrible about cancellation. Will try to tack on late fees you didn't even know you had. Pathetic. Will never, never go back.

Jalyssia
September 11th, 2019 Fort Worth, TX DETAILS

I was told when I signed up for the black card membership and that my daughter and was told when we came that she could not because she wasnt 13. I tried to cxl my membership in Feb and was told it would be taken care of. Never was told to fill out a form or a xxl fee. I wasnt charged for March and then was charged from april until now. Called customer service who stated "they are individually owned" and would send word to the franchise. NO ONE reached out to me. I then went today to xxl and was told that I couldnt or shouldn't since km almost at my 12 months and couldnt cxl for free. Even after explaining that I tried to cxl in Feb and hadn't been to any facility since believing it was cxl was told I more than likely wouldnt get ANY of my money back and to come back later in the month to cxl. Very crappy to treat your customers this way. All about money to me and not about fitness or customer service. No matter how cheap the membership their integrity is crap!

Terah odell
September 10th, 2019 Urbandale, IA DETAILS

Tried to cancel charged me for canceling and then a late fee I was never late! They blamed billing I called billing and billing said it was on them and I called back and they won’t wave the 99 dollars that I “owe” Them! They threatened me if I don’t pay it it would go on my credit! My advice never go to this gym! They lie steal and cheat

Bea
September 9th, 2019 New Bern, NC DETAILS

I love Planet Fitness; However, closing on Thursday and NOT opening today is ridiculous being that the hurricane was not in our area Thursday and it’s been out of here since early afternoon! Open them doors!!

Christine
September 6th, 2019 Annville, PA DETAILS

WORST EXPERIENCE EVER LEBANON PA I canceled my membership on the spot. I joined planet fitness black card membership and was going to the gym for over two weeks and bringing my guest every time and we were allowed to use everything with zero issues until Kassandra would not allow my guest to use anything. The policy and website both state that guest can use everything but the tanning. When I pointed it out to her that the website states that black card members and guests can use everything she decided to tell me that it was bad wording. How do you not honor what the website says. She got sassy with me. Please beware before joining this gym. They DO NOT honor what the website says. Kassandra made my visit absolutely horrible. I would give this gym a zero if it allowed that in the rating. Shame on you Kassandra for standing in the way of someone trying to be healthy. Remember you reap what you sow.

Max
September 3rd, 2019 Minneapolis, MN DETAILS

The manager at the Columbia Heights Mn club actually encourages people to sit on machines with their phones and text ect. While I was trying to workout there was a guy doing just that, I did 60 reps on machines while he sat there watching videos. I asked him to allow me to work through while he was resting. He told me he was not done and went back to watching. I asked the club GM, jewan, to educate the guy in gym etiquette. Jewan told me that the guy was not done. And he was right. He was not done watching his video, but he did not use the machine during the entire time.

Vinod
August 27th, 2019 Sacramento, CA DETAILS

Unfriendly staff - I signed up online for PF Black Card membership on 08/24 at Natomas and went for quick tour of the facility but with the pathetic and rude staff behavior, I could not even think of continuing any further. Hence have cancelled membership.

Evergreen
August 22nd, 2019 Oak Creek, WI

Great gym! Always clean and the staff is very friendly and attentive.

Steve
August 19th, 2019 Minneapolis, MN DETAILS

overall good, however the GM at the Columbia Heights refuses to order toe clips, and the club seems to have become a magnet for crime... lockers broken into, cars stolen

Sheryl r.
August 13th, 2019 Ronkonkoma, NY DETAILS

I have a black card at planet fitness in centereach n.y. I absolutely love it, so clean. Scott L is the manager and is very dedicated! He and his staff are friendly and know their jobs. They are never to busy to greet you. Plenty of machines to choose from and the hydro lounges and tanning end a workout. I never thought I would be attending a gym but I certainly made the right choice, love the no judgement zone. That's what drew me in. All are welcome. Come and see for yourself , great job scott and all staff!

Joe Razmusen
August 11th, 2019 Kansas City, MO DETAILS

After 3 years as a member with 36 televisions running today they removed fox news channel. So I was thinking they call this a "judgement free zone" not sure about that. Just an obsevation. Is this a business built on deceiving the members?

Tracy Womack
August 8th, 2019 Cedar City, UT DETAILS

Planet Fitness is a great gym. This gym has some of the best customer service out there and their facilities are top notch as well.

Donna B.
August 5th, 2019 Conroe, TX DETAILS

I have been a member for 3 years. My husband was a member for 1 year and canceled his membership because he was working long hours and did not have time to utilize his membership. He did not have any problems with the cancellation. He filled out a standard form at the gym and it was processed the very next day. I have worked out at many gyms over the years, and I love PF. There are plenty of good quality machines, the gym and locker rooms are always clean, and the massage bed & chairs are wonderful. It is a great gym for the price, and I really like that I can always bring a guest for free.

Rubie
August 2nd, 2019 Boise, ID DETAILS

Me and two others signed up on the same day. While reading through the terms and conditions, I assumed the $41.43 charge that would be coming up was the grand total for all three of us. Later, I found out that was not the case. This, if fact, was a yearly charge for ALL THREE of us. The lady at the gym failed to mention this. Now, since $41.43 was pulled out there times, separately, I have a $50 overdraft fee. One gentleman was very kind and apologize, but the lady who failed to mention the charges simply said, "it was in the terms and conditions" without any acknowledgment of her failure to mention this. I trusted Planet Fitness with my direct deposit, but now I no longer trust them. I just thought I'd share this story so that this doesn't happen to someone else.

Krystal Taylor
August 2nd, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT

I loved going to Planet Fitness with my mom. We always felt comfortable to use all of their equipment and amenities, and it never felt overcrowded.

Richard Selwyn Crichlow
July 31st, 2019 Brooklyn, NY DETAILS

They WILL double charge you and "blame billing". Talking to the manager resolved nothing, and neither did talking to billing.

Dwyane
July 30th, 2019 Sacramento, CA DETAILS

Not enough light weight dun-bells. People are hoarding the few light weight dun bells that are there and un willing to share. Two girls working out together that had 5 sets of dun-bells at their work bench. I ask if I could use one set of dun bells to do a quick set and was told "we are using them". I watched for a while and saw they weren't using them and told them I just wanted to do a quick set and would give them back. One of the girls ask me " why are you talking to me" I replied I never-mind am sorry. She replied "you are still talking to me why are you talking to me". They laughed as i walked away. I ask a guy who had several sets and he said no espanol I am considering other fitness institutions.

jim
July 22nd, 2019 Port Jefferson, NY DETAILS

It is a convenient gym at a reasonable price - until you have to cancel. I was away for 7 months so I wanted to suspend or cancel my membership. Took a many emails to do it. A real pain. Now tha I am back I hesitate to join again because I will be away for 6 months this winter.

Mazi Marcel Womack
July 19th, 2019 Cedar City, UT DETAILS

Every time I go to planet fitness I have a good experience. I have never heard a bad word about Planet Fitness.

Tesha
July 16th, 2019 Grand Prairie, TX DETAILS

Cancelling your contract is ridiculous. We moved to Texas and they told us we have to go all the way back to SC to stop our contract. Crazy.

Wonder Woman
July 12th, 2019 Salem, VA DETAILS

The ABSOLUTE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE! THE STAFF IS ILL EQUIPPED TO HANDLE THE MOST BASIC INQUIRIES. BOTH NATHAN AND CHRISTY ARE RUDE AND DISRESPECTFUL. WE HVE CANCELLED BOTH IN PERSON AND VIA EMAIL BUT CONTINUE TO BE CHARGED NOW GOING ON 7 MONTHS! EVERY TIME WE GO IN THEY ASSURE US IT WILL BE TAKEN CARE OF. OF COURSE HAS NOT. THEY CLAIM NOT TO HVE A REGIONAL MANAGER OR SOMEONE OTHER THAN CHRISTY OR NATHAN TO HELP! I AM FRUSTRATED AND NEED HELP!! JUDGEMENT FREE?! I THINK NOT!! SHAME ON YOU PLANET FITNESS!!

Jim
July 12th, 2019 Las Cruces, NM DETAILS

Planet Fitness claims to be a judgment free zone, but, because of their “independently owned “ franchises, they “judge” against senior snow birds that have their membership paid by their insurance company. Corporate should really have more control over how their name/brand is used and presented to the public. The only reason for 2 stars is the equipment at the store at my home location is clean and friendly.

Chloe Adams
July 11th, 2019 Morgan, UT DETAILS

Planet fitness is a great place to come use the treadmills and other cardio machines; however I feel as though when I had problems they weren’t addressed.

Brooklyn May
July 10th, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS

Great work out machines, and the running treadmills! I love working out at Planet fitness. I feel so good about my self and the workers are so nice to help when I have troubles with something.

Angela
July 10th, 2019 Wellsville, UT DETAILS

I am currently using planet fitness facilities and I am impressed with the overall environment. Their equipment is current. The vibe is positive. There is always equipment available and about 20 different TVs to watch. The bathrooms are always clean. The staff is always friendly and helpful. And you can’t beat their prices. They often run a $10/month special. That can’t be beat. Truly.

Breanne Stanko
July 9th, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS

Such a great environment to work out at. The workers are so nice and willing to help. The equipment is great and the gym is always so nice and clean.

Skye Jensen
July 5th, 2019 Hyrum, UT DETAILS

I love to go to planet fitness because it’s not complicated and i love my black card.

Meyer
July 3rd, 2019 DETAILS

The gym is okay for the price but watch out for the hidden fees!

Thomas Agramonte
July 1st, 2019 Enfield, CT DETAILS

My wife joined the gym along with my 16 year old son.They only went ONE TIME in weeks.My wife went to the gym to CANCEL the membership.She was informed that an 80.00 maintenance fee was taken out of her bank account She closed the account and left quite up set.I AM ON SS DISABILITY.THAT 80.00 REALLY HURT.A couple of months later my wife finds out that PF has been taking money out if her BANK account.They never closed her account.The girl whom she spoke to doesn't work there anymore.I contacted the gym manager who refused to even look at her account.I called the regional manager who NEVER called me back.

Amber S
June 28th, 2019 Jupiter, FL DETAILS

Love our Planet Fitness! Clean, large, plenty of equipment. The staff are friendly. I prefer to work out alone and I do the 30 minute circuit which is only crowded when they have a class. Occasionally, the class starts when I am working out and I just join in. I have learned a few new techniques this way. Love the hydro massage and body enhancing booths. I am over weight and I don’t fell intimidated or uncomfortable here.

Braden Stanko
June 25th, 2019 Smithfield, UT DETAILS

Great gym. Staff is nice and willing to answer questions. Price I Ky a month is perfect especially when I don’t make that much of money! Equipment works good and store is always clean

Paige Baldwin
June 24th, 2019 Wellsville, UT DETAILS

I’ve been going to planet fitness for a couple months now and I really like it. The staff is so friendly. The gym has nice equipment and it is always clean. It is also an affordable price.

Jason
June 24th, 2019 Draper, UT DETAILS

I like Planet Fitness because I feel safe and comfortable in these facilities because they don’t have mirrors.

Kim Camp
June 20th, 2019 Fayetteville, AR DETAILS

The only regrets I have is that I didn't use my black card membership sooner . Last summer I signed up and thought you can do this . I suffer from anxiety attacks disorders and the thoughts of being stared at or laughed at kept me from going . After 9 months of paying for a membership i hadn't used once , I made it a goal to go and check it out . The atmosphere was inviting , music was playing , the gym was nice and cool and no one stares at us or laughed. Staff is friendly , the equipment is clean . We love the SCIFIT step one recumbent stepper . The gym I go to has only 2 machines . A lot of people love the machine too . Wish they had more than 2 . Highly recommend to friends and family .

Jacob Ball
June 18th, 2019 West Jordan, UT DETAILS

Great people that are genuinely trying to get fit. Good culture. Not your typically gym

Nicholas
June 17th, 2019 Lake Villa, IL

Planet Fitness has a clean facility for working out in, they don't have a free weight though.

matthew
June 17th, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS

planet fitness has alway been a good gym to go to for me there very welcoming and very nice.

Whitney Stanko
June 14th, 2019 Smithfield, UT DETAILS

For only $10 a months it’s such an amazing deal! I loved working out there! And I never felt judged. Everyone there encourages each other to push hard and that they can do it. It’s also nice not worrying about comparing my self to others. If I ever had problems with my card or lost it they were super awesome in replacing it or helping me fix the problem. Love that gym!

Haley Baldwin
June 13th, 2019 DETAILS

Planet Fitness is a great gym. They offer a variety of extra workout class options which I appreciate. The equipment is nice and well kept. The environment is friendly. The price is not bad and teens get the whole summer free which is awesome.

Jeremy Balls
June 12th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

I like the atmosphere at Planet Fitness. People just going to exercise not going there to show off. I did cancel my membership, but if I sign back up it will be with Planet Fitness.

Becca
June 12th, 2019 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS

Cheap cheap cheap, but you need to be self-motivated and have an idea of how to put together your own workout in order to get the most out of this gym. You can pay extra for trainer-led classes.

roxanne
June 11th, 2019 Millville, UT DETAILS

Ive loved going to planet fitness, its the less crowded gym without the gym sharks, the atmosphere is clean and friendly

JE$$
June 10th, 2019

This is a great place for fitness. weights, running, swimming, yoga

Woody Wilson
June 5th, 2019 Clearwater, FL DETAILS

I like Planet fitness and what they stand for, what I don't like is they advertise "unlimited guest privileges" with a black card membership. What that really means is a guest can come with you anytime you go, but they don't have full access to everything the card holder does, only the weights & machines. It's my opinion that unlimited means unlimited.

Matt
June 5th, 2019 Alexandria, VA DETAILS

Planet fitness has a great, new and clean array of equipment ready to get anyone to sign a contract, and they even got tiny ceiling fans to give the perception and image that they care about user comfort, but when you get down to it, Planet fitness is truly a different experience. They say that the corporate rule is to set the thermostat to 68-72F. Well guess what? Most independent franchises choose the 72 F because they would rather save a nickel on their electric bill than to provide user comfort! And if you complain, corporate says each franchise is independently owned and therefore they can essentially do whatever they want. Even moreover, if you dare to look at one of their thermostats (assuming they are not locked away in an employee room or whatever), you will likely get a threatening shout and reprimand from one of their employees telling you that peeking at the thermostats is not allowed and doing so can result in disciplinary action! In other words, Planet Fitness seems to be treating their thermostat readings as a Trade Secret of theirs that if you violate it, you get subject to disciplinary action. Even more so, their tiny ceiling fans provide negligible long term comfort. If you go in there to be cute and pick up a partner or stretch, it won't matter, but if you jog for more than 10 minutes, even at a low speed, it is a big deal. Because there is essentially no substantial circulation (which is unlike outdoors where there is often a circulation) and because often the temperature in their facilities is in the 70 to 80F range, you will sweat profusely and unnecessarily after about 10 minutes of said mild jogging. My routine is 40 minutes, and often my T shirt is thoroughly soaked after that or I have to cut my routine short because of the uncomfortable hot and stuffy atmosphere in their thrifty establishments. If you ask if you can bring in a personal fan, even if it is battery operated, and the result is always the same "NO", we can not allow that. Planet Fitness promotes short term relationships and greed and profit by minimizing their electric bill over customer comfort and safety. But when it comes to customer comfort to anyone who seriously works out, it is "you don't matter in our scheme" or some threat of disciplinary action or whatever. If you have the resources, buy a treadmill, install it in your basement of your own home and buy an electric fan. Planet Fitness has no interest in your comfort or safety! This is because your comfort and safety conflicts with their goal of maximizing profits by using the Iron Fist on their customers and by minimizing their electric bill.

Brooke Herbon
June 5th, 2019 Kaysville, UT

Like planet fitness, good quality equipment and overall customer service. I like all of the reee space

Christina Balls
June 4th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

Planet fitness is a great place to go workout! People mind their own business and no judgement at all! Pricing is competitive and fair. They cancelled a membership for a family member who went out of the country without any hassle.

Janessa
June 4th, 2019 Herriman, UT DETAILS

Good gym for the price. Just found it interesting that they offer tootsie rolls on their front desk, a pizza night once a month, and a bagel breakfast once a month. Some people probably love those perks but for someone trying to get in shape those food choices don't seem the best. They were always super friendly though and helpful if you needed it. We just quit because our promotional pricing went away and we could do what we were doing there at our home. Cancelling was pretty easy though and they didn't give us much hassle.

Tracy Hill
June 3rd, 2019 Draper, UT DETAILS

I absolutely love planet fitness. I have been a member for about 4 years and I plan on being a member for many years to come. The staff members are always helpful and they made becoming a member easy and stress free. I don’t plan on cancelling my membership any time soon—but if I did, I know that they wouldn’t pressure me into staying a member