Planet Fitness Logo

8.9

Planet Fitness was founded in 1992 by Michael Grondahl, who purchased a financially struggling gym, and implemented a low-cost business model by dramatically reducing prices to compete against better-known brands. The goal was to meet the needs of occasional or first-time health club members, rather than more experienced members.

The Planet Fitness brand has positioned itself as the leader for getting great value from a gym membership. Planet Fitness focuses on the average person who wants to get in shape and maintain a healthy lifestyle. Planet Fitness is unique in the fact that they discourage body-building and “gymtimidation.” Today, Planet Fitness has over 1000 locations with an estimated 6 million members across the United States. The company’s locations are either corporate- or individually owned and operated.

Vasa Logo
#2 Vasa chevron_right
3.6
Gold's Gym Logo
#3 Gold's Gym chevron_right
3.2
YMCA Logo
#4 YMCA chevron_right

The Good

• Planet Fitness Prices and Contracts
  • Planet Fitness Black Card
  • "Judgement Free Zone"
  • Extra Membership Fees
  • Equipment
  • Personal Training
  • Planet Fitness Locations

Planet Fitness Prices and Contracts

Planet Fitness is one of the cheapest gym memberships available at only $10/month for a classic membership. Contracts are month-to-month with no obligation. For example, certain fitness centers in the industry require you to make a three-to-six-month commitment upon signup. When it comes to price, on average, monthly gym memberships cost anywhere from $55/month to as much as $161/month.

Planet Fitness Black Card

Planet Fitness offers two types of Planet Fitness memberships: the $10 or Black Card membership. A classic planet fitness membership only allows a member to use one location and doesn’t give access to every perk the gym offers. The Black Card Membership costs $22.99/month. If you are interested in this card membership, you should reach out to a membership representative.

Black Card perks include 20 percent off Reebok products at outlet store locations and 10 percent off at Planet Fitness' online store. You also get unlimited access to other Planet Fitness locations, as well as to the planet fitness hydromassage and tanning booth. Black Card Members receive a Planet Fitness t-shirt and get to take part in Planet Fitness' Pizza Mondays and Bagel Tuesdays. Each black card member can also bring a guest to any planet fitness location each time they go.

"Judgment Free Zone"

Planet Fitness strives to make all fitness members feel welcome, no matter their fitness level. The focal point of Planet Fitness is to eliminate the pressure and stress that comes from "gymtimidation" while participating in fitness training activities. This practice allows for fitness members to work out how and when they want. Going to the gym and feeling like you aren't good enough to be there just doesn't cut it. If you have struggled with that in the past, trying Planet Fitness may be your new fitness solution.

Extra Membership Fees

Planet Fitness charges a small $1 enrollment fee for Black Card members and $20–$29 enrollment fee for other members aside from the monthly membership fee. When compared with other gyms in the fitness chain market, Planet fitness stands out. Most gyms charge an enrollment fee or initiation fee of $50 to $100. This makes becoming a member at Planet Fitness very affordable.

Customers should be aware that Planet Fitness charges a $39 annual membership fee that is typically assessed in October. This fee is affordable for people on a budget when contrasted with the majority of fitness companies who charge hidden fees of $75 or more.

Equipment

Generally, there is always enough gym equipment (machines, strength equipment, and weights) for everyone. Planet Fitness has a lot of cardio machines, free weights of up to 80 lbs., curl bars, and other strength training equipment. The weight machines and equipment are adequate for the average gym user and are kept clean.

Cardio equipment is abundant which is a major advantage since many gyms do not provide enough. Treadmills are available with personal televisions for fitness members' use. Other features that may be of interest to potential customers are tanning beds, a Planet Fitness Gym App, and personal training.

Planet Fitness Locations

Planet Fitness has over 1,500 locations across all 50 states in the U.S., Canada, and Latin America. This makes it easy for members who spend their time traveling or for those who move to a different state to find a Planet Fitness club near them.

The Bad

• Limited Classes
  • Lunk Alarm

Limited Classes

While Planet Fitness offers some workout classes, they are smaller and much less diverse than some people may be used to. While many other gyms offer yoga, cycling, Zumba, barre, and many other classes, Planet Fitness generally provides classes that focus on specific muscle workouts. The main purpose of the classes is to help new members learn how to use the equipment or design their own individual workout plan.

Still, many gym-goers enjoy having the option to pick from various classes and appreciate the social aspect of a group workout. Planet Fitness claims that it appeals to the average gym member, but the limited class options suggest it caters more towards those who want to focus on just working out and not to those who want a more socially interactive workout.

Lunk Alarm

Planet Fitness prides itself on the fact that it caters to the average person and provides a "Judgement Free Zone." However, some members may feel that the lunk alarm—an alarm that goes off whenever someone drops their weights, acts aggressively, carries a gallon jug of water, or grunts excessively and too loudly—directly goes against their no-judgment policy. It is possible that members may feel that the lunk alarm unfairly stereotypes those who want to put a little extra effort into their workout.

The Bottom Line

Planet Fitness is one of the most affordable gyms on the market at $10 to $22.99 per month. Their additional fees are minuscule compared to most gyms, making becoming a Planet Fitness member exceptionally affordable — even on a smaller budget.

Planet Fitness may be the most affordable, but this comes with no frills. It lacks the amenities most gyms offer such as pools, tennis courts, childcare, saunas, etc. The company also does not provide a variety of group fitness classes, which is a huge attraction for most gym-goers. If you're looking to work out on your own and don't want to spend a lot of money on a gym membership, Planet Fitness is recommended; however, if you're looking for nutritional coaching and/or fitness classes like Zumba or Yoga, we recommend finding another gym that costs more, since Planet Fitness does not provide these membership benefits.

3.8

sally Bend, OR

When machines break down, it takes wayyy too long to fix. They also have said from opening day, they will have bike parking. Still waiting.

John Narvaez Washington, DC

I enjoy the low price of attending Planet Fitness. I gave this gym 4 stars because I would like to see some more updated cardio machines. This is understandable for the price go the gym.

Sean Clayton City of Saint Peters, MO

It's a typical gym but with a weird culture. Their policies have some strange restrictions on appearance and behavior that seem to ironically shame people for normal gym behaviors. I've been a couple times and I like that they don't force long-term contracts, but I would rather not go there.

Robyn Brady Kent, OH

Comfortable working out here. There's one of everyone here which I like. Great prices and hours too!

Danielle DeMarco Kent, OH

I have attended with my fiancé, and love the equipment choices and friendliness of staff.

MAGIC MIKE TERRORENCE Cleveland, OH

Lots of cute girls at the one in my town.And they keep it clean.

JESSE GENAO Lynn, MA

Just for those who do not know and pay for the planet fitness black card there's a trick they have! They advertise you can go to any club and work out if you pay the extra $10 dollars, but what they don't tell you is you can only go up to 10 times in a month to the gym unless you pay an additional $5 dollars per visit. Stupid in my opinion. If you are trying to get fit do the math and you can probably go to a better-quality gym cheaper

melissa Naperville, IL

Naperville location - Ogden - 3/2/21 I would highly recommend not doing business with Carlos C. the Club Manger at this location, or anyone in this establishment. We canceled our membership 6 months ago due to Covid and have been charged monthly fees for 10 months. Upon receiving the annual membership fee ($39) we went in and spoke with someone who told us many memberships were suppose to be canceled and were not. It was then recommended we speak with Carlos C. Unfortunately Carlos was the most incompetent manager I have ever spoken to. He showed absolutely no responsibility or effort to try to make things right for the mistakes made. My husband and I were extremely ill with Covid over the past few months and were hoping Planet Fitness would be an establishment that didn't try to take advantage of members and their monies during a vulnerable time. Obviously there was a mistake made and our memberships were not canceled, we simply asked for the annual membership fee charged THIS MONTH to be reimbursed since we are not able to go to the facility. I would recommend looking elsewhere for a gym facility, Carlos is not someone who knows how to treat loyal customers. Melissa G

Caloway Salt Lake City, UT

Good workout gym with a lot of good equipment. However, they do not have any free-weight bars like a bench press but they do have the bars that are connected to the racks. Those aren't my favorite things to use so I wasn't too fond of that but some people might not mind. It is a very positive atmosphere so for those who are just starting to go to the gym or are getting back into it after a while, this is a good place to start and the pricing is good.

Edward Ritchie Birmingham, AL

Our Crossville Tennessee Planet Fitness is the best! Super clean facility with great functioning equipment. The best part is their staff who is always friendly and very helpful. We give this facility a 5 star rating and would highly recommend to any looking for a wonderful gym! The Ritchies

Jordan Warren, OH

Planet Fitness does not notify you about anything regarding upcoming withdraws from your account. I froze my planet fitness for 3 months due to medical reasons and the virus. I did not receive any reminder about it ending (as 2020 has already been difficult for me and everyone else to worry about a gym charging your account without courtesy) and was charged. My medical conditions have not changed nor the virus so I still am not comfortable going to the gym. Also, they did not remind me that it was time for my annual fee and charged my account. It is a scam. I would totally stay with Planet Fitness if they didn't charge me so much during this time because its hard enough. I expected decency at least to do so and think about others or at least pretend.

JPL Seattle, WA

Beware! Health safety warning! During my last session there, I was amazed at the lack of concern of the staff with regard to refilling the sanitizing stations. I stayed there doing my cardio for 55 minutes and noticed at least 3 sanitizing stations had been empty the whole time, only because people were going around trying to find paper towels to clean their equipment. And of course, people gave up trying to clean because they could not find any paper. this was not the first time: I had noticed in the past the staff's lack of concern, and I had made them aware several times of the need to refill paper towels. But this time, it was really frustrating. The country is gripped by covid and we are facing an enormous surge of cases everywhere. People are asked to do the right things, wear masks, socially distance, and on and on. And here at the gym, where people sweat, cough, breath heavily, not one staff did the round of the gym and checked the sanitizing stations the whole time I was there, at least 55 minutes. And Yes I checked the staff desk from time to time. There was always at least one staff doing nothing. When I left, I pointed it out to them that some stations had been out of paper for a long time. But wait, the story does not end there! Then a couple days later, the most outrageous thing happened. I received a phone call from a prickly manager from the gym telling me that I should not tell the staff what they should do because it was his job. See, he did not call me to apologize or at least explain that they were concerned for health safety and the staff was reminded to do their best for "our" safety in these dire times where people are at risk of being infected by a lethal virus. no, no! He called to give me, a worried and helping customer, a teenager-like power struggle downtalk. ooh! boy! I was not a happy camper to say the least... Very wrong business practice and attitude!!!

kaylie mahar Springdale, AR

I held a membership here and only have great things to say about it! It was open 24/7 so I could go whenever I had time too. Everything was cleaned up very well and there was always someone available when I had questions.

Bergen Billings Smithfield, UT

It is always sanitary have many different types of equipment to use I can always get a good workout in.

Stephanie Byrd Miami, FL

Planet Fitness is the ultimate workout spot. With a catchy name like “Planet Fitness” you’re guaranteed a worthwhile workout experience. They offer a variety of fitness machines, trainings, and memberships at a very low price. Start your fitness journey there today !

Pekeiydra Williams Tallahassee, FL

Love planet fitness, has lot of equipment for all types of workouts. They have equipment is clean and they also provide users with proper material to clean equipment before and after use. I appreciate the cleanliness during these times especially.

Omar Shaker West Warwick, RI

canceled my membership in June sow other people complaining charging them after the cancel, checked my bank and ABC*PL charging me $33 every month, Called asked to speak to manger, very Rude, refuses to refund my money asked to corporation number her was "Honestly if you call all they do send me email and I won't do anything about it, and its on google. complaining wont do anything they enjoy scamming people and steal their money.

Wendy Park City, UT

Planet Fitness is an ideal place to work out. The small classes with a personal trainer are ideal in trying to jump start a fit life.

Renee Union City, CA

Ridiculous Rules! The Planet Fitness Gyms is Empty! The one in Richmond California has long standing lines! The wait is 45 minutes to 1hr, only 46 including staff can be inside, that’s insane. It’s like a Ghost Town while standing in line looking in from the outside. No lines at 24hr Fitness or other Gyms in the area. $10 you get what you pay for that’s is for sure. Also the Cleanliness is not up to part, other gyms give you, your own cleaning spray bottle. The spray bottles are deluded with water. When I say the gym is empty! It’s empty and it’s big enough for 100 ppl! The Grocery stores are open and have 100 plus. Go elsewhere!

Rosa Los Angeles, CA

Even though the nation was shut-down for 6 months and the gym just recently opened, Planet Fitness is charging their members the annual fee. This is wrong. It is unethical. How is Planet Fitness going to charge their members an annual fee when the gym was not even open a full year? 39 dollars is what a person who makes minimum wage earns in 3 to 4 hours. We are in an economic crisis and Planet Fitness is putting themselves first, not the customer.

Leanne S. Saint Paul, MN

I wish I had gotten the name of the little snot that refused to cancel my membership when it's for severe health issues. If I had known they would make me come in during a plague, when I'm incredibly high risk, and then refuse, I would have contacted the BBB first. I have NEVER had such a horrible experience as with Planet Fitness. Have you dealt with insurance company? They're a treat compared to PF. You have to deal with only the local franchise and I've met ONE person in TWO YEARS that wasn't rude and/or inept. Think twice before you have anything to do with this horror show of a company - ANY other gym, even in a prison, would have to be an improvement. I really, really hope people check the reviews and take them seriously or they will absolutely regret it.

Shante Reeder Draper, UT

I really like that this gym is so affordable. However, you get what you pay for. This is a great place to work out if you are intimidated by big gyms. Staff is very friendly.

Jon Moreno Salt Lake City, UT

Their facilities are always clean and a friendly staff. Their monthly prices are great value for all of the equipment they have available.

DrippGang Rockford, IL

The issue started over a face mask. I was 6 feet away from the desk. And they had plastic screening up. But when i scanned my card. The guy at the front desk said I needed a mask. And I told him this was gym. Then said you still need a mask in the common area. And I told him what common area. Once in the locker room and at the weights. I'm taking it off. Why were a mask for a few feet. Especially when I'm near no one. This issue took place around: 4:20 Pm August 21st; 2020. At Planet Fitness on S. Alpine in Rockford Illinois, 61108. Photographs of the other gentleman leaving Planet Fittness and a video of me in Plantet Fittness working out is and will be available. Racism. A white woman named Stephanie followed me around and canceled my membership (after I walked away from her and told her to go find something better to do); because I was wearing pants. Meanwhile a white guy in Pants that were made into shorts worked out peacefully. And was told nothing. Pictures of the white man in shorts were taken. As he left 30 to 40 minutes later after I was told to leave. And my lawfirm has been contacted. Along with a full complaint being filed for HARRASMENT & DISCRIMINATION. The paper she gave me says to not sit on any gym equipment with pants on. My workout consisted pull-ups; dips, and use of the curl bar. The Planet Fitness on South Alpine in Rockford Illinois promotes discrimination. Be advised: The membership paper she gave me has highlighted, "DENIM JEANS OR SHORTS ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THE SEATED STRENGTH EQUIPMENT." So if I never sat down on any seat equipment. How did I violate the policy. Especially if I was in the gym for a whole 40 minutes.

Haley Newman Hamersville, OH

The employees are always welcoming and the facility is clean. I feel like I paid a fair price and always enjoyed going to the many convenient locations. The tanning beds were great and the machines and free weights helped me to workout every muscle.

SJ 26 Seattle, WA

Will not refund charge! I am very upset with Planet Fitness because I saw a charge of $31 on my bank account and I didn't even know it was reopening. They say they sent out emails but they have my number. They could have just as easily called or texted me. I wasn't even thinking about going back to the gym. During this pandemic, you wouldn't catch me in there with a hazmat suit! And since I'm not working now, that $31 could have gone toward food or something I actually use! And why the no refund policy? That seems a bit fraudulent to me. And if that isn't enough, I have to either go in to Planet Fitness or go to the post office to send through certifiable mail a request to cancel my membership! I just think the whole situation was handled quite poorly and I will be warning everyone on every platform to beware of ever joining Planet Fitness!

Cat Guidry Panama City, FL

The staff at Planet Fitness is useless! The equipment is always broken and they won’t help you with anything. They don’t rack the weights that are left around. They won’t help you adjust the machines or teach you how to use them. They won’t address any concerns you have. They let people tie up the 30 minute workout room; even though there are signs everywhere telling people that it is for the 30 minute workout only! The trainer that is supposed to come with your membership, is hardly ever or totally not available, and the trainer that has been available lately, is nice enough, but has not had enough training himself and WILL hurt someone if he continues training with the training he has had at this time. The new policy for masks! It is sooooo stupid. You only have to wear a mask if you are walking the supposed 6 feet between machines. If you are on a machine or just standing near one, you do not have to wear a mask. I was not wearing a mask, because this is a stupid policy. No one is abiding by this policy. I tried to take some pictures just to show the corporate office, and the manager not only came over and called me out about not wearing a mask, but she THREATENED me with calling the police in front of my Mom and other members!!! And later she called me at home to yell at me! The HIPPA laws don’t let you ask anyone about their medical conditions and if they have a problem wearing a mask and breathing, you are not supposed to make them wear one. I do not have an issue with this and I am sorry for anyone who does, but the manager said it didn’t matter, because Planet Fitness doesn’t allow this as an excuse to not wear a mask anyway and you still have to wear one. Also, the new policy at Planet Fitness requires that you carry the big heavy bottle of cleaner with you and clean your machines as you go. You were always supposed to clean your machine and towels were provided at cleaning stations throughout the club. I don’t have an issue with that, but I do with carrying around the heavy bottle, plus my own water bottle. And the bottle, if you drop it accidently, comes apart and makes a huge mess. I have neck injuries and have trouble holding on to things, and I have dropped the stupid bottle twice. I have tried to call the corporate office 5 times and have left at least 3 messages. They do not answer their phones and will not call me back to let me voice my concerns! I told them in my message that I would post these complaints everywhere I could find to pot the online and this is to keep my promise. I am looking into other gyms. I may stay at Planet Fitness if I can get them to address my concerns, but only because they are the least expensive gym. Just know what you are getting into if you join this gym.

jennifer San Antonio, TX

walked in to Planet Fitness in February to cancel membership and was told I needed to do that online. I got online, and it only let's you change level of membership- not cancel. Of course, went back in person but gym was closed from covid-19. At that point, app was not letting me access any changes since they were temporarily not billing due to covid. Fast forward to July 17, I get $23 monthly fee out of bank account. Then 2 weeks later, Aug 3, another $43 deduction for annual fees. I called gym stating my annual renewal date was in April and I've been trying to cancel membership since before then as to avoid the fee. But was told theres nothing they can do about it. I was very upset about $66 out if my bank account within a 2 week period, for something I was unable to cancel or contact for 3 months because they were closed. However then,"since I was upset and so they could accommodate me, the girl said she COULD go ahead and cancel my membership" . But I thought I had to come in to do that? The take away is, Apparently they give you the run around to not let you cancel, so you keep getting billed. Yet can adjust the policy when convenient to them. If course, any refund is "out of their hands and "per contract" the annual maintenance fee cannot be refunded. Despite my efforts the past 6 months to avoid this situation. And, there have been no correspondence stating when billing was to resume after closing for covid. POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE !

Alesia Thurmont, MD

great price. always feel comfortable working out in their gyms. love the fact that they offer tanning and many other amenities.

Jason MacKay RN Fall River, MA

My fiance is a nurse taking care of numerous covid patients since it came out. She caught the virus early on and had minimal symptoms back in April . Saw her doctor isolated as directed by DPH and has been clear for 4 months now. Her facility hasnt had a covid patient in months now. Today she was thrown out of the Fall River Rhode Island Avenue by an employee cause she had the virus 4 months ago . Has tested negative since. Dont go there they treat healthcare providers like leppars

Dianna Carter Tamaroa, IL

The Planet Fitness gym that I attended was very clean and sanitized. The equipment was in excellent condition. The staff was knowledgeable about the use of the equipment and the results I would and could get from the use of each piece.

mia Wheaton, IL

great experience ! would highly recommend!great service and very helpful. definitely worth it

Alexander Johnson Burbank, CA

I enjoyed planet for the time I had it. Great prices but I hate that annual fee popping up. Had some billing issues with them but overall pretty good. It’s a quiet zone so sometimes hard to find motivation

Misty Lacey Laurel, MS

I went to the location in Ocean Springs, MS & it was Always clean & very friendly staff

Kevin Moriarty ,

broken wifi poor customer service tempe planet fitness way too busy from 4-6

Tia Smile Philadelphia, PA

I am disgusted with planet fitness...you send an email out on June 10, 2020 and resumed BILLING ON JUNE 17. AS CUSTOMERS WE SHOULD HAVE HAD 30 DAYS NOTICE. PEOPLE ARE FURLOUGHED, LAID OFF, and trying to regroup after this crisis. I understand money was lost but you don't sabotage loyal customers to get it!😡😠😡 Planet fitness

Bryan Jensen South Jordan, UT

Best fitness value around. Facility is nice, clean, and judgement free. Made for people like me.

AJ Wakefield Tucson, AZ

All the gyms I have been to have been clean and the staff are always polite. The style of gym isn't my favorite, there are a lot of treadmills and ellipticals and not a lot of free weights. Good service! Just not my cup of tea

tayloralexis Glendora, CA

Cleanest gym I have ever been to and the staff is always so nice and kind. Love it!

Haley Nemmers Boulder, CO

I participated in the planet fitness teen challenge over the summer and it was nice to have access to a gym for so cheap/free!

Amalia AMLU5848 Arvada, CO

The Planet Fitness gym membership is affordable, but sometimes the gym is not clean and lacks equipment. However, the price makes up for it and it gives no one an excuse to say they cannot afford a gym membership.

Emily Norton Tucson, AZ

I love planet fitness! Their gyms have plenty of equipment, they’re always clean, and the service is always friendly. They do a great job of applying their “judgment free zone” motto. I think the black card is worth paying extra for just for the massage beds, not to mention the other perks that come with it. Definitely my go to gym.

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

Planet fitness is a pretty decent gym for the memberships they offer. It would be nice to have a few more amenities but I guess that is why their prices are fairly low. Overall, not too bad, and a decent gym to help you focus working on yourself

Lizzy Puentes Tallahassee, FL

Planet fitness is a great gym. They have a variety of workout machines and multiple of their popular machines. This is great when the gym is fuller and you don't have to wait as long to use a machine. They have wipes available to whip off the machinery and throughout the day they occasionally clean them too.

Clay Magee Dallas, TX

I absolutely love the variety of equipment and that it’s is always clean and ready to use.

Nora Holland Mount Olive, MS

I felt so comfortable working out here. I felt like everybody welcome to me and I knew that I choose the right gym to work out at.

Alexa Pitre New Orleans, LA

I love going to planet fitness. Showers are nice, equipment is nice, an overall great experience.

Jadon Barre ,

Planet fitness has an abundance of great workout tools at my disposal. But the staff was very nervous and awkward when I had questions. It was a bit inconvenient.

Jacobrobot321 Baton Rouge, LA

I got a weird rash on my leg after using their equipment. the workout machines are dirty and cheap

Luis Diaz Dallas, TX

Planet Fitness is an amazing gym Bc they don’t make you feel like you shouldn’t be there if you’re out of shape. They seem to mainly encourage people that are out of shape