LA Fitness was started in 1984 in Clovina, California. The fitness center claims to provide fun and effective workout options to family members of all ages and interests. Today, there are 24 LA Fitness centers and growing, with two additional locations in Canada.

#1 Planet Fitness chevron_right
#2 Vasa chevron_right
#3 Gold's Gym chevron_right
3.1

The Good

• Price and contracts
  • Classes and trainers
  • Equipment
  • Other available amenities
Price and Contracts

LA Fitness offers different price options and contract lengths. If you sign up for a membership online through the website, the monthly fee is $34.99. If you're already a member and want to add family members, you have to pay $34.99/month (this also applies if you enroll online). Some customers report paying fees as much as $40/month.

This is one of the few companies in the fitness industry that openly advertises its pricing online. We found this to be a huge plus, since customers want to know this information before talking to a representative or signing up. As far as LA Fitness's non-online membership pricing, information is not available.

Classes and Trainers

Group Fitness classes are held throughout the day, many at no additional charge. The average number of classes offered is 21, and cover a wide range of workouts from Zumba to Hip Hop Fitness, to Boot Camp Conditioning.

Here's the full list of LA Fitness's classes:

• Total Body Conditioning
  • Yoga
  • Yoga Beat
  • Zumba

Classes are typically available in high intensity or low impact for different fitness levels. We find the gym's wide array of classes to be favorable and competitive with the industry average. Personal trainers are also available at all LA Fitness locations for those who are seeking assistance; they design a customized workout plan and provide an ongoing motivation and support.

Equipment

LA Fitness has state-of-the-art equipment and Cardio area. The staff keeps the machines clean. There are a lot of cardio machines but really lacks in the stair master machines. There are peak times like any other gym, but people seem to go in get their stuff done and leave. There isn't always an extreme long wait time for the machines, either.

Other Available Amenities

Other amenities the gym offers include Indoor heated lap pool, whirlpool spa and saunas, racquetball, basketball (tournaments and leagues available), locker facilities, Kids Klub (babysitting), juice bar and Swim School. LA Fitness also has a Café where you can get a smoothie after a hard workout. Many of these amenities are common among both regional and national fitness centers-though, a few of the very upscale gyms do not cater to children or offer childcare services, which gives LA Fitness an advantage; however, there may be additional fees for some amenities depending on the LA Fitness location. That is a disadvantage for customers.

The Bad

• Upfront fees
  • Hidden fees
  • Cleanliness
  • Nutrition
Upfront Fees

At LA Fitness, initiation fees change according to what package customers sign up with. For example, if you sign up for a membership online your initiation fee is $99. Current members have to pay a $25 enrollment fee for family members to be added to the package. We found this to be a disadvantage since some fitness centers let you add at least one family member without paying additional enrollment fees.

Hidden Fees

Although LA Fitness offers a low price for their new members signing up online, the small print states different pricing applies to Arkansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, New York, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, Signature Clubs, and clubs in Canada. Also it costs $10 to freeze your membership account, so if you're relocating or need to stop using your membership for a while, you will be charged. We found this unfavorable, as some gyms don't charge this. Another hidden cost is having to pay extra for attending certain locations. Members have complained that they were told that their membership covered all LA Fitness locations only to find out that their membership did not cover Signature club locations. The additional cost is $5 per visit, or a one-time fee of $167 to make your membership valid at signature clubs.

Cleanliness

Overall, minus a few locations, customers find LA Fitness to be a clean facility. A typical LA Fitness facility experience starts out with high ceilings, well-lit spaces, elbow room around the equipment, convenient parking, and new and well maintained equipment; however, over time, customers across the country say that the condition and cleanliness of the facilities go downhill. Things like AC, saunas, and machines break down and take a long time to get fixed. One customer reported roach sightings on two separate occasions, posting pictures online. It appears LA Fitness falls behind several gyms we reviewed that successfully maintaining higher cleanliness standards.

Nutrition

There are no nutrition plans offered for customers, which lowers LA Fitness's rating in this area. We found several major gyms that offer a more holistic personal training program with both nutritional and exercise training.

The Bottom Line

LA Fitness is one of the few companies in the fitness industry that openly advertises its pricing online. Prices are affordable, averaging at $40/month, and the gym offers 21 different types of fitness group classes, most at no additional cost, which run the gamut from hip hop to bootcamp to yoga. If price is a factor, LA Fitness's rates are some of the more affordable ones out there. There are enrollment fees for both individuals and for adding family members to your plan, which many gyms don't charge.

However, cleanliness seems to be a big complaint across the board. Meanwhile, the gym's personal trainers don't reveal package rates without sitting down for a consultation with them. There is also no nutritional training or support, and locations tend to be low on certain exercise machines.

AJ Wakefield

March 19th, 2020 Tucson, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I liked going to this gym, but unfortunately, it seemed like I always went at peak times. Pretty busy, but still able to get good workouts in.

Jeremy Webb

March 11th, 2020 Covington, LA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Overpriced and money hungry. LA Fitness pressures people into getting yearly contracts. I have never felt so pushed to buy than when I went take a tour of the facilities. Facilities are extremely nice but I felt very out of element for a new person to working out. Employees were also very rude and I will not be back.

Preston Vaughan

March 10th, 2020 Jackson, MS

Awesome place to work out the environment is always challenging and has great selections of machines for things to work out with

Natalia Correa MDTribe

March 10th, 2020 Miami, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had a membership at LA Fitness for a couple of years. They had every piece of equipment I needed and more. I really liked the classes they offered. I also loved the options they had for payment plans, it was really helpful

Rocio Diaz

March 6th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The facility is great and has a sauna, steam room, pool, gym, etc. Prices, however, are ridiculous and they have many hidden fees. Customer service is terrible and representatives will never stop calling you after you cancel your membership. Terrible customer service.

Karen Torino

March 6th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The gym overall has nice features to take part of. I just wish machines would have more guidelines or exercises to follow off. Staff is usually very on top of keeping things clean, which is nice, and there are plenty of machines and rooms.

jkenny90

March 5th, 2020 , TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great workout experience here. The gym was very well maintained and the variety of activities offered at the gym is the reason I kept going back.

hmarashi

March 4th, 2020 Newark, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I’ve been going to LA Fitness for almost 6 years now, their gyms are always a good value for money and well furnished with free weights and other amenities.

Karina Aguilar

March 2nd, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

la fitness has a lot of great programs and great gyms but their memberships are not reasonable

Zabsanti

March 1st, 2020 Slidell, LA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I recently started going to la fitness and it is amazing. Compared to other fitness centers around my house, they have better equipment and their membership is extremely affordable. Their customer service is also one of their best attributes.

Cade Boudreaux

February 25th, 2020 Irving, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love LA Fitness. My favorite part of their gym is the basketball court where I’m able to still play weekly and keep my self active. The staff is very friendly and are always willing to answer any questions you need about your workout and experience.

Hallieford

February 19th, 2020 Arlington, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

LA Fitness is great. The kid care was perfect for my kids, they always have a good time.

Amanda

February 7th, 2020 Montebello, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I went to LA Fitness a few times this summer and had a decent experience. The only downside are the hours and that the prices are more competitive at other places.

Tori smith

January 30th, 2020 Mesa, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

It has a friendly environment and good equipment but I always found myself waiting in a line

Mikayla Ralston

January 29th, 2020 Pensacola, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've never been a member of LA Fitness, but I've paid to use the gym when I've been on training for the military. Felt like the price was really high, but it's what was available

SkylarPickens

January 27th, 2020 Gulfport, MS

I’ve been here once and it wasn’t a very pleasant experience. The staff was somewhat respectful but only when it was simple things. If you asked them if there were any towels left they got mad at me.

Arielle Lawson

January 27th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The best gym I’ve been to! It’s always clean and has a wide range of machines. I love the amenities.

Asia Bui

January 20th, 2020 Gulfport, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I was visiting my cousins and family in Houston and my gym junkie uncle took me to one of the LA Fitness gyms around their house and everything was so nice and it gave me a really good workout with all the equipment they offered

Christyan Bennett

January 15th, 2020 Metairie, LA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had a membership in 2017 and did not enjoy it. The prices were ridiculous and they didn’t have much to offer. Most gyms would have several benefits but not this one.

Jodianna

January 8th, 2020 Altamonte Springs, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I loveee this gym. I am a member and I love the fact that I can bring a guest each time I go. My daughter comes with me and we go to the Zumba, yoga, and belly dancing classes. Afterwards we work out on the ellipticals and then head to the sauna. I always feel refreshed afterwards. The facility is always clean.

Wilinda Sylvestre

January 7th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I loved LA fitness! The equipment and the environment was so encouraging, I am a returning customer.

gayana innocent

January 6th, 2020 Deerfield Beach, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

LA Fitness is the best gym ever. It is really big with so many different materials to use that'll help you reach your goal. I personally enjoy going to the gym more when I'm going to LA. I like going to the different classes they have such as yoga and Zumba. I highly recommend LA Fitness.

destiny wright

January 6th, 2020 Jacksonville, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very nice place and not too crowded. The machinery is updated and its an open environment with an indoor pool.

karis buggs

January 3rd, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love the variety I have with each location. I feel like I am always getting the most for my money.

Karina Diaz

December 31st, 2019 Noblesville, IN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Worst experience ever!! I had a contract with LA FITNESS for training sessions that expired on November 27th 2019. As I lost my contract I went to the facility in Noblesville to ask when was my last payment due and if I had to do anything else to cancel my contract. The person who talked to me (Alejandro) told me that I had nothing to do, once my contract was up I was not going to be charged anything else. I asked him, do I have to cancel my contract so I don't go on a month to month basis? he said to me "no, you don't have to, once your contract is up, then you are done". Trusting to his words I didn't do anything else and what it is my surprised that on December 27th I see that they withdrew $420.00 from my account when they said this was not going to happen... I went to the gym to ask about it and first of all; Alejandro said not remembering having talked to me on November but when his manager started asking him questions about it she suddenly remember what he talked about with me but still could not remember having talked to me.... (seriously?) Second, they then showed me that on my contract said that if I did not cancelled my contract then I would go on a month to month basis... Didn't I just went on November trying to avoid this???? they gave me false information, you cannot tell me read the contract because I didn't have it and that is why I went to asked them for this information.... Lets say that that was true (which is not) the month to month payment was due on the 27th, I went on the 27th and told them about it... shouldn't they have just canceled it and refund my money back? any other business does that!! While posting on facebook this story I came across other people who have gone through the same experience with LA FITNESS; it seems this is a rip-off scheme they have going on and no one puts a stop. Even if it was written on the contract; they should have given me that information on November when I went talking to them and they gave me false information. Now, they charged my account and told me like making fun of me... "you still have sessions you can use for this month"... as if I want to set foot ever again at that place! Customers cannot be rip-off this way; If I say to refund my money for a service you haven't been provided, they you refund my money, no questions asked! Obviously they didn't give me my money back and I will not go there and use my training sessions as I didn't agree on them. I don't know why customers have to be forced to pay for something we do not want. Hopefully someone can put a stop on this.

Andrea C Moran-Melendez

December 10th, 2019 Jacksonville, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love all of the amazing services that LA fitness has to offer. I especially live their group fitness classes because it's a great way to get to know people. I would say however, I really hope that they create more affordable options and personalized plans because I still want to have a membership but not pay for things that I'm not using that often.

Connor

December 5th, 2019 Farmington, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I wish LA Fitness was located across the country because this is by far my favorite gym. They make working out seem clean and elite, providing the best gym equipment and guidance. Please expand!

Todd Homitz

November 27th, 2019 Evans City, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Overprice and always seems to bring in the weird crowd of workout enthusiasts. I won't be going back..

Michelle W

November 27th, 2019 Coraopolis, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I'm a current member of LA Fitness, and I'm not sure how much longer I will be. It's always so busy and smells like sweat even though you always see cleaning staff around the place. It is clean, but not as clean as you would like. Not to mention waiting for equipment is sooooo annoying.

P.F.

November 25th, 2019 Staten Island, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Staten Island E Service rd location will take your money for services they don't even provide. Out of service sauna, can't use it but still have to pay. Heater in the jacuzzi broken, they don't care. There was no hot water in there for almost 2 weeks, I had to take ice cold shower after using pool. The most unreliable gym. FRAUD beware!!!

Angie

November 13th, 2019 Far Rockaway, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Don't join this gym. They show no compassion if you need to cancel uour membership for medical reasons. Im unable to get a refund, because I wanted to cancel one day passed the refund period. Join another gym that care about the clients healh and not only about their profits!!!!!

Sara S

November 8th, 2019 Tallahassee, FL

I am giving this company 2 stars because when I went to one of their branches to sign up for a membership, they wanted to charge $200 or $300 in application fees along with their really high base monthly price. Their gyms are very nice but definitely not worth what you pay for. Look to other gyms such as title and crunch for a much better deal.

Cameron Clark

October 14th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Best bang for your buck gym out there. I have a really hard time not paying for a membership for all the amenities offered.

Cambria Blair

August 28th, 2019 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I enjoyed the years I spent when I lived close to an LA fitness. It was clean and I loved the classes and machines.

Keeli Hansen

July 9th, 2019 San Jose, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great gym the staff is always kind and the trainers there are very knowledgeable and work you hard

Kaitlin Ashcroft

June 20th, 2019 Mesa, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I just recently moved and had to get a new membership. I love LA Fitness and everything they do. They have so many different classes you can go to and it’s so cheap to have a monthly membership.

T

June 19th, 2019

Great gym, with great amenities, however it is expensive to join. Love all the extra conveniences but it is too pricey for my budget.

Preston

June 17th, 2019 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Good gym that has everything you would need to work out and more. When you sign up make sure you ask for a better price cause they up sell you a lot and throw in extra charges.

Alyssa skinner

June 13th, 2019 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had a membership with LA fitness for the last couple of months and have loved it. It is never to crowed and they have more then enough equipment!!

Nicholas

June 12th, 2019 Lake Villa, IL

I like going to LA Fitness because I can go and enjoy working out. All the workers are very nice if you need help with something.

Rebecca

June 10th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Awful service. They lied to me about pricing for personal training and my ability to end the contract when I moved. The trainers often missed appointments and they wouldn’t refund me when the trainer didn’t show. Awful awful. Gym was really dirty too.

Nicole LeBaron

June 3rd, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

There was an LA fitness near my house and it was great. Lots of equiptment to use and never had to wait to use anything. I felt the gym was well organized and welcoming.

Stephen Bookbinder

May 29th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Nice club - some issues - They don't monitor the locker rooms - some people are inappropriate - cells phone allowed in the sauna. people clip their nails on the floor. Managment can do more. TV's they lost the remotes to change channels, its been like 4 months and no results. Can't plug your head phones into the cardio equipment to listen to TV.

Stephen0118

May 29th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They've been great. I even have a personal trainer. They're very friendly and treat you like a valued member.

Nana Asiata

May 21st, 2019 Herriman, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This gym is awesome. They have everything you need to get a great workout in. Staff is friendly as well.

Catherine McIntosh

May 20th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Staff is friendly, the gym is clean, and there are plenty of machines to get a thorough workout.

Luis

May 20th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Poor service. Only interested in getting new customers and care little about existing customers. Some of the fitness classes are too crowded.

Frank Galgan

May 20th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very good. Trainer is attentive and we are an older couple. Makes sure we don't hurt ourselves.

Susan Rueda

May 14th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Frustrating. I joined for aqua fit classes. The phone app is never updated so I go to the gym many times to fine out the class is canceled or the pool is closed. Twice in one month they forgot to stop filling the pool and it overflowed and closing the pool. It had been dirty at times. I love some of the instructors but there is one who isn't very good. People have complained but management doesn't act on our complaints.

Roger Margolis

May 14th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

LA is a good gym for me as my health plan covers it and I travel for my job