LA Fitness Logo

5.7

LA Fitness was started in 1984 in Clovina, California. The fitness center claims to provide fun and effective workout options to family members of all ages and interests. Today, there are 24 LA Fitness centers and growing, with two additional locations in Canada.

Planet Fitness Logo
3.6
Gold's Gym Logo
#3 Gold's Gym chevron_right
3.2

The Good

• Price and contracts
  • Classes and trainers
  • Equipment
  • Other available amenities
Price and Contracts
LA Fitness offers different price options and contract lengths. If you sign up for a membership online through the website, the monthly fee is $34.99. If you're already a member and want to add family members, you have to pay $34.99/month (this also applies if you enroll online). Some customers report paying fees as much as $40/month. This is one of the few companies in the fitness industry that openly advertises its pricing online. We found this to be a huge plus, since customers want to know this information before talking to a representative or signing up. As far as LA Fitness's non-online membership pricing, information is not available.
Classes and Trainers
Group Fitness classes are held throughout the day, many at no additional charge. The average number of classes offered is 21, and cover a wide range of workouts from Zumba to Hip Hop Fitness, to Boot Camp Conditioning. Here's the full list of LA Fitness's classes:
  • Aqua Fit
  • Total Body Conditioning
  • Yoga
  • Yoga Beat
  • Zumba
Classes are typically available in high intensity or low impact for different fitness levels. We find the gym's wide array of classes to be favorable and competitive with the industry average. Personal trainers are also available at all LA Fitness locations for those who are seeking assistance; they design a customized workout plan and provide an ongoing motivation and support.
Equipment
LA Fitness has state-of-the-art equipment and Cardio area. The staff keeps the machines clean. There are a lot of cardio machines but really lacks in the stair master machines. There are peak times like any other gym, but people seem to go in get their stuff done and leave. There isn't always an extreme long wait time for the machines, either.
Other Available Amenities
Other amenities the gym offers include Indoor heated lap pool, whirlpool spa and saunas, racquetball, basketball (tournaments and leagues available), locker facilities, Kids Klub (babysitting), juice bar and Swim School. LA Fitness also has a Café where you can get a smoothie after a hard workout. Many of these amenities are common among both regional and national fitness centers-though, a few of the very upscale gyms do not cater to children or offer childcare services, which gives LA Fitness an advantage; however, there may be additional fees for some amenities depending on the LA Fitness location. That is a disadvantage for customers.

The Bad

• Upfront fees
  • Hidden fees
  • Cleanliness
  • Nutrition
Upfront Fees
At LA Fitness, initiation fees change according to what package customers sign up with. For example, if you sign up for a membership online your initiation fee is $99. Current members have to pay a $25 enrollment fee for family members to be added to the package. We found this to be a disadvantage since some fitness centers let you add at least one family member without paying additional enrollment fees.
Hidden Fees
Although LA Fitness offers a low price for their new members signing up online, the small print states different pricing applies to Arkansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, New York, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, Signature Clubs, and clubs in Canada. Also it costs $10 to freeze your membership account, so if you're relocating or need to stop using your membership for a while, you will be charged. We found this unfavorable, as some gyms don't charge this. Another hidden cost is having to pay extra for attending certain locations. Members have complained that they were told that their membership covered all LA Fitness locations only to find out that their membership did not cover Signature club locations. The additional cost is $5 per visit, or a one-time fee of $167 to make your membership valid at signature clubs.
Cleanliness
Overall, minus a few locations, customers find LA Fitness to be a clean facility. A typical LA Fitness facility experience starts out with high ceilings, well-lit spaces, elbow room around the equipment, convenient parking, and new and well maintained equipment; however, over time, customers across the country say that the condition and cleanliness of the facilities go downhill. Things like AC, saunas, and machines break down and take a long time to get fixed. One customer reported roach sightings on two separate occasions, posting pictures online. It appears LA Fitness falls behind several gyms we reviewed that successfully maintaining higher cleanliness standards.
Nutrition
There are no nutrition plans offered for customers, which lowers LA Fitness's rating in this area. We found several major gyms that offer a more holistic personal training program with both nutritional and exercise training.

The Bottom Line

LA Fitness is one of the few companies in the fitness industry that openly advertises its pricing online. Prices are affordable, averaging at $40/month, and the gym offers 21 different types of fitness group classes, most at no additional cost, which run the gamut from hip hop to bootcamp to yoga. If price is a factor, LA Fitness's rates are some of the more affordable ones out there. There are enrollment fees for both individuals and for adding family members to your plan, which many gyms don't charge. However, cleanliness seems to be a big complaint across the board. Meanwhile, the gym's personal trainers don't reveal package rates without sitting down for a consultation with them. There is also no nutritional training or support, and locations tend to be low on certain exercise machines.

3.7

Elisabeth Kinghorn Bangkok, 10

LA Fitness is such a great gym for all levels of experience and for all areas of athletic interest. I loved being able to hit the weights and then go for a swim afterwards. A very nice quality facility!

CoasterRider Show Low, AZ

LA Fitness is my choice of fitness centers. Clean and not over crowded are my highest criteria. I originally chose them for the choice of locations and the fact that they were one of the few fitness centers that included racquetball courts.

Roxana Perez ,

I like LA fitness. I love the facility, the amenities they offer, and even more the daily classes included in your membership. I do agree that this can be a pricey option, but it is worth all the money you pay.

Zabsanti Slidell, LA

I recently started going to la fitness and it is amazing. Compared to other fitness centers around my house, they have better equipment and their membership is extremely affordable. Their customer service is also one of their best attributes.

Cade Boudreaux Irving, TX

I love LA Fitness. My favorite part of their gym is the basketball court where I’m able to still play weekly and keep my self active. The staff is very friendly and are always willing to answer any questions you need about your workout and experience.

Hunter Kasprzyk Gilbert, AZ

LA Fitness has been the gym that I have used for the longest amount of time and still use today. The equipment is nice and the employees are very knowledgeable. When I go it is not very crowded so I don't have to wait super long if I need to use equipment that is very popular for other people to use as well.

Mia Hernandez Tempe, AZ

i like this gym the trainers are really helpful and really seem to care about your body goals and really wanna help you get there my trainer Ryan is the BEST! He pushes me so hard to meet my goal and yet still gives me nice motivational speeches when i start to feel close to giving up i would highly recommend coming here if your serious about obtaining your body goals

Sophia Marie Banowsky Austin, TX

My name is Sophia and I have had the unfortunate experience of entering into a training contract with them. I reviewed the contract with a lawyer less than 24 hours after signing and found I had 3 business days to get and mail the cancellation form to cancel outright with a refund. I was finally able to get it, LA fitness wouldn't allow me access it on my online account, I had to contact the gym for it. I mailed it less than 24 hours after signing and they received it within their 3 day period which doesn't really matter because I just had to mail it within 3 days. I have heard from no one about my cancellation and am very frustrated because I followed all of their crazy protocols to take care of it. The business is shady. Use any other gym, I'm honestly surprised that LA fitness is even still in business.

Natalia Correa MDTribe Miami, FL

I had a membership at LA Fitness for a couple of years. They had every piece of equipment I needed and more. I really liked the classes they offered. I also loved the options they had for payment plans, it was really helpful

Susan Rueda

Frustrating. I joined for aqua fit classes. The phone app is never updated so I go to the gym many times to fine out the class is canceled or the pool is closed. Twice in one month they forgot to stop filling the pool and it overflowed and closing the pool. It had been dirty at times. I love some of the instructors but there is one who isn't very good. People have complained but management doesn't act on our complaints.

Nishita McLean, VA

I have gone in as a family member a few times, my brother has the membership for LA Fitness. I love their indoor pool, sauna, and Zumba classes. Great place, spacious and many types of equipment to choose from.

Paula

The whole time I was having my consultation the person doing the consult kept looking out at what appeared to be the TV. He would ask me a question and while I was being very careful to be honest and express my desire to get healthier when answering his questions. I think he could have told what was going on on the television but not anything I was expressing. I believe the reason for this was he understood I had been having medical issues that caused me to loose my job and I told him I was on unemployment and st this time I wouldn't be able to pay for personal training. I think that was the only reason I was in there talking to him and he knew he would not be making a sell to me so my thoughts really weren't important to him. Don't get me wrong other than this , which I think is important, it's called active listening and should be used at all times, especially in his position, he was very nice. I just didn't feel my story was important at all.

Asia Bui Gulfport, MS

I was visiting my cousins and family in Houston and my gym junkie uncle took me to one of the LA Fitness gyms around their house and everything was so nice and it gave me a really good workout with all the equipment they offered

Jodianna Altamonte Springs, FL

I loveee this gym. I am a member and I love the fact that I can bring a guest each time I go. My daughter comes with me and we go to the Zumba, yoga, and belly dancing classes. Afterwards we work out on the ellipticals and then head to the sauna. I always feel refreshed afterwards. The facility is always clean.

gayana innocent Deerfield Beach, FL

LA Fitness is the best gym ever. It is really big with so many different materials to use that'll help you reach your goal. I personally enjoy going to the gym more when I'm going to LA. I like going to the different classes they have such as yoga and Zumba. I highly recommend LA Fitness.

Ashley Pleasant Grove, UT

When we lived near the LAX airport in California we had an LA fitness close by. It was always clean and lit well. The machines were cleaned and I loved feeling like I had the option to shower there or at home. It was a little more expensive than what I was used to but I think that is just how it goes when you live in CA. I also like the variety of fitness classes offered.

janalee sanders Valley Center, CA

I belonged to this club for quite a while and always had a pleasant experience. I eventually stopped going to this gym because I felt like they just weren't offering the classes that I was wanting to go to. or if they did have the class it was at very limited times so it wasn't convenient. this was several years ago so perhaps things have changed since I stopped going. that is really the only drawback that I found but everything else was fine.

Karina Diaz Noblesville, IN

Worst experience ever!! I had a contract with LA FITNESS for training sessions that expired on November 27th 2019. As I lost my contract I went to the facility in Noblesville to ask when was my last payment due and if I had to do anything else to cancel my contract. The person who talked to me (Alejandro) told me that I had nothing to do, once my contract was up I was not going to be charged anything else. I asked him, do I have to cancel my contract so I don't go on a month to month basis? he said to me "no, you don't have to, once your contract is up, then you are done". Trusting to his words I didn't do anything else and what it is my surprised that on December 27th I see that they withdrew $420.00 from my account when they said this was not going to happen... I went to the gym to ask about it and first of all; Alejandro said not remembering having talked to me on November but when his manager started asking him questions about it she suddenly remember what he talked about with me but still could not remember having talked to me.... (seriously?) Second, they then showed me that on my contract said that if I did not cancelled my contract then I would go on a month to month basis... Didn't I just went on November trying to avoid this???? they gave me false information, you cannot tell me read the contract because I didn't have it and that is why I went to asked them for this information.... Lets say that that was true (which is not) the month to month payment was due on the 27th, I went on the 27th and told them about it... shouldn't they have just canceled it and refund my money back? any other business does that!! While posting on facebook this story I came across other people who have gone through the same experience with LA FITNESS; it seems this is a rip-off scheme they have going on and no one puts a stop. Even if it was written on the contract; they should have given me that information on November when I went talking to them and they gave me false information. Now, they charged my account and told me like making fun of me... "you still have sessions you can use for this month"... as if I want to set foot ever again at that place! Customers cannot be rip-off this way; If I say to refund my money for a service you haven't been provided, they you refund my money, no questions asked! Obviously they didn't give me my money back and I will not go there and use my training sessions as I didn't agree on them. I don't know why customers have to be forced to pay for something we do not want. Hopefully someone can put a stop on this.

Stephen Bookbinder

Nice club - some issues - They don't monitor the locker rooms - some people are inappropriate - cells phone allowed in the sauna. people clip their nails on the floor. Managment can do more. TV's they lost the remotes to change channels, its been like 4 months and no results. Can't plug your head phones into the cardio equipment to listen to TV.

Tanner Cook Gilbert, AZ

The la fitness near me has a sauna and a steam room - pretty uncommon. In any event - they have clubs nationwide which makes it easy to work out if I’m out of town. Huge plus!

edward reese Hyattsville, MD

Large gym with tons of recreational things to do with even better trainers. But, they use the free workout with a trainer to bait you into a year long contract unknowingly in a high stakes sales pitch because you're super tired and not thinking straight. i left the gym but no one ever told me my contract on the trainer was still active and continued to charge me for 6 months and made it even harder to get my money back which i didn't. I would never recommend them to anyone!

Dan S. Ocoee, FL

Finally I found some time to spend to talk about LA Fitness. If you know what to do at the gym, you know that LA Fitness offers a nice size pool, hot tube, free weights and work out machines zones for a reasonable price. I was a member for around 7 years with two different plans, first one was regular yearly contract and the last one was multiclub three years contract. On my first experience at the place they tried to sell me their personal training program. (misleading sale that I will need to make a separate review about it, is a trap without way out). Cleaning is something that they don't care at all. For several years, me and several other customers, even after multiples complaints to all managers that worked there, last one was David, nothing changed. The place it is filthy including the pool and spa hot tube. So the true about the Legionnaires' bacteria, yes the one that cause Legionnaires' disease that was found there was not unexpected, was not a surprise to me. So what was reasonable before, now you may put your health in jeopardy. You got what you pay! looks that is their motto! Keep in mind that it is not just your health that is in jeopardy, also your physical integrity is in risk! Most of the nights are crowded and they made the only area available to stretch and abs in the gym as personal training only. Nobody does personal trainer there, little percentage. So you have rush hour times without a proper place to start your work out and due to that, one day after my workout I decided to talk with one of the managers available at the time,(Andrea), the same whom upgraded my membership to multiclub (you can go to any la fitness in florida, not signatures ones), and she allow me to use the personal training area that most of the time nobody uses anyways for stretches only. So next day, was a Tuesday night, the place packed as always. Directed myself to stretch with my headphones on lying on the mat when the trainer(Michael P.) show up in my face with a bad physiognomy and gesticulating. When I took my headphone off, I heard this angry guy telling me to leave the area immediately, so when I tried to explain why I was there, he grabbed the mat holder and tried to make me rollover off from the mat, so I placed my right hand on the floor and I bounced back pushing his arms and knees away from me with my left hand and stood up. Told him to not touch me or try to move me physically again. When I stood up I was able to see two students and the two surge lights that I always thought that was security cameras on the end of the stretching area, I didn't know until later that they were his students. He probably thought that I was a little boy. I may look young and very skinny but I'm almost 40 years old with martial arts experience on my background, so I faced him and with all the calm in the world said that his behavior wasn't right. At this point with no witness around, just his students, he called the janitor guy that was leaving the restrooms on me, big guy, telling him to kick me out the gym so I face him too stating that nobody will touch me, he threat me and screamed at me thinking that I will be scared but never did anything and he apologized to me later because he didn't really know what was happening. He thought that I did something really bad because the way that the trainer spoke with him. So when physical threat was not a threat to me anymore, because people started to go in and out of the restrooms, I walked to the front desk to ask for the manager but no managers available at the gym on that time. Another bad thing, rush hour and nobody responsible at the place. The trainer percepts the situation that he caused. So I'm at the front desk when he came with his students on his side saying that he will call the cops on me if I don't leave. Well, guess what? I didn't leave so he called the cops and I waited for the cops to arrive. On this meantime they were talking on one of the desks on a way that looks like they knew each other from a very long time(body language) , looks that they were putting their version together. When the cops arrived, the cop spoke with him first because he called and right after with his students and then me. The personal trainer created a such bad scene that I requested to speak with the cop outside due to the many curious people there. Everybody curious to know why cops were inside there. So when I told what happened, he told me that they provided a different story. So independent who said what, I decided to cancel my membership anyways and I expressed to the cop what I would like to do. So he went inside and when he came back he said that unfortunately they don't have managers available. Because it is a contract for three years just made. Arrived next day to talk about the situation with manager David that at first was sounding helpful but then after I tell him what happened, and he said that what the personal trainer and his students told him were different. They said that I was standing and pushed him on his chest with both arms starting the issue. Detail: I was on the ground when he tried to move me and when I pushed him. I don't want to pass as a liar because his teacher has two witnesses on his side and I had just the true. So I requested the footage from the security cameras to show who is who on this story but no cameras available. On this situation that I don't have how to prove nothing, I decided to cancel my membership anyways but then he said that I have a contract and the managers at corporate will need to approve that, they may revoke the membership and keep the money, so I just said that really don't matter at all to me what they will do with my membership, I will not use, I'm done with LA Fitness anyways and I want my money back. My membership for three years was almost $800.00. After I spoke with the gym manager I decided to call corporate and there they treat me really bad, they were probably thinking that I was that very bad guy that they heard it about. On my third call I was able to talk with one of the managers and she confirmed of course the refund. Good choice La Fitness! I will never allow you to keep that money. As a very responsible person, I will stand for what is right and not allow to be bullied by any personal trainer or nobody. Martial arts teach you how to protect yourself but more than this I learned to have a very strong self control. I will never start immature situations like this one. Bottom of line: BE AWARE THAT YOU ARE NOT SAFE IN GENERAL AT LA Fitness. They lost me, an old client and many others due to the lack of security, hygiene, and behavior of their employees.

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

The gym overall has nice features to take part of. I just wish machines would have more guidelines or exercises to follow off. Staff is usually very on top of keeping things clean, which is nice, and there are plenty of machines and rooms.

Andrea C Moran-Melendez Jacksonville, FL

I love all of the amazing services that LA fitness has to offer. I especially live their group fitness classes because it's a great way to get to know people. I would say however, I really hope that they create more affordable options and personalized plans because I still want to have a membership but not pay for things that I'm not using that often.

Connor Farmington, UT

I wish LA Fitness was located across the country because this is by far my favorite gym. They make working out seem clean and elite, providing the best gym equipment and guidance. Please expand!

Rob Whipple Mesa, AZ

I go to LA Fitness because they have racquetball courts. They are starting to phase out of putting in courts, so that is disappointing. The lockers and showers are not always very clean. Some locations are very good, but others not as much.

Brian Joseph Duncan Queen Creek, AZ

I was a customer of LA Fitness for just over 2 years. I love the facilities, they are clean, up to date, and engaging. However, the reason I left is because it was costing too much money for me. I could not make it there as often as I would like (my fault I know), but at the cost I could not see keeping the membership until my schedule freed up. I wish that I could afford to go there and keep the membership but it just was not price competitive with all the gyms that offer memberships for $10/month.

Carolee AhPing Heber, UT

I love LA Fitness. A little pricy, but the gyms are super nice. They have a pool, hot tub, and basketball courts. I enjoyed going to this gym - I moved so I don't have one near me anymore. I would join it again if they build one near me.

Linda finley

really good I have always likes LA Fitness just finish that they would lower their monthly payments down for 55 and over

Steve Loewy

Good product. So-so maintenance. The page size of the gym and the swimming pool and basketball Court are a plus. The equipment works but the maintenance of the equipment is mediocre.

hmarashi Newark, NJ

I’ve been going to LA Fitness for almost 6 years now, their gyms are always a good value for money and well furnished with free weights and other amenities.

Michelle W Coraopolis, PA

I'm a current member of LA Fitness, and I'm not sure how much longer I will be. It's always so busy and smells like sweat even though you always see cleaning staff around the place. It is clean, but not as clean as you would like. Not to mention waiting for equipment is sooooo annoying.

Kaitlin Ashcroft Mesa, AZ

I just recently moved and had to get a new membership. I love LA Fitness and everything they do. They have so many different classes you can go to and it’s so cheap to have a monthly membership.

Preston Gilbert, AZ

Good gym that has everything you would need to work out and more. When you sign up make sure you ask for a better price cause they up sell you a lot and throw in extra charges.

Alyssa skinner Gilbert, AZ

I have had a membership with LA fitness for the last couple of months and have loved it. It is never to crowed and they have more then enough equipment!!

Nicole LeBaron Provo, UT

There was an LA fitness near my house and it was great. Lots of equiptment to use and never had to wait to use anything. I felt the gym was well organized and welcoming.

Jed Orlob American Fork, UT

The gym I go to tried to sell me on getting a personal trainer.. not interested.. then when it comes to changing my plan only the manger could do that and she was never in.. also $50 a month..? I mean come on... also the drinking fountain is upstairs next to the locker room no other drinking fountain in the whole building.. definitely don’t like the service I’ve had so far. Not open till 5 am either which makes it packed at that time. Great gym equipment and locker rooms.

Katie Kearney Vienna, VA

I was a member of LA Fitness for a couple years. Prices were fair but our location was always so busy that you could not even complete a workout without waiting in a line for a machine. It was not a great experience and I felt like they were limited in some of their offerings. The functional training area was also so small that maybe only 3 people could comfortable workout in that room/area. After awhile I started to dislike going to our location so I ended up cancelling and going somewhere else. I am much happier now that I did.

Starski Cene Vienna, VA

Pros: Wide selection of machines Plenty of treadmills and ellipticals Plenty of bench presses and squat racks Cons: Hexagon plates No Hex bars When something is broken takes a while for it to get fixed

Wilinda Sylvestre Tallahassee, FL

I loved LA fitness! The equipment and the environment was so encouraging, I am a returning customer.

P.F. Staten Island, NY

Staten Island E Service rd location will take your money for services they don't even provide. Out of service sauna, can't use it but still have to pay. Heater in the jacuzzi broken, they don't care. There was no hot water in there for almost 2 weeks, I had to take ice cold shower after using pool. The most unreliable gym. FRAUD beware!!!

Angie Far Rockaway, NY

Don't join this gym. They show no compassion if you need to cancel uour membership for medical reasons. Im unable to get a refund, because I wanted to cancel one day passed the refund period. Join another gym that care about the clients healh and not only about their profits!!!!!

Stephen0118

They've been great. I even have a personal trainer. They're very friendly and treat you like a valued member.

G

Great! Clean up to date equipment and the staff are always attentive to our needs. Reqsonablly priced.

Preston Vaughan Jackson, MS

Awesome place to work out the environment is always challenging and has great selections of machines for things to work out with

Rocio Diaz Tallahassee, FL

The facility is great and has a sauna, steam room, pool, gym, etc. Prices, however, are ridiculous and they have many hidden fees. Customer service is terrible and representatives will never stop calling you after you cancel your membership. Terrible customer service.

jkenny90 , TX

Great workout experience here. The gym was very well maintained and the variety of activities offered at the gym is the reason I kept going back.

Amanda Montebello, CA

I went to LA Fitness a few times this summer and had a decent experience. The only downside are the hours and that the prices are more competitive at other places.

Mikayla Ralston Pensacola, FL

I've never been a member of LA Fitness, but I've paid to use the gym when I've been on training for the military. Felt like the price was really high, but it's what was available

Sara S Tallahassee, FL

I am giving this company 2 stars because when I went to one of their branches to sign up for a membership, they wanted to charge $200 or $300 in application fees along with their really high base monthly price. Their gyms are very nice but definitely not worth what you pay for. Look to other gyms such as title and crunch for a much better deal.