Gold's Gym Logo

7.2

LAST UPDATED: August 30th, 2021

The first Gold’s Gym was opened in 1965 in Southern California. It quickly became known as the “Mecca of bodybuilding” frequented by bodybuilders Arnold Schwarzenegger and Dave Draper. It was also featured in the 1977 movie, “Pumping Iron.” The movie gained nationwide attention for the sport of bodybuilding, and the gym itself. The culture of heavy lifting, and bodybuilders still exists today at Gold’s Gyms across the United States. Over time, Gold’s has incorporated other fitness avenues into its gyms, making them user-friendly for non-lifters as well. Today, Gold’s is one of the most popular gyms in the country, serving more than 3 million members in 38 states and 22 countries around the world. Whether you are looking for a heavy lifting gym, a fitness center, a fitness club, of a generic gym facility, Gold's has what you are looking for to help you meet your fitness goals.

Planet Fitness Logo
#1 Planet Fitness chevron_right
3.7
Vasa Logo
#2 Vasa chevron_right
3.6
YMCA Logo
#4 YMCA chevron_right

The Good

• Equipment
  • Cleanliness
  • Group Fitness Classes

Equipment

Equipment offered at Gold's Gym includes resistance machines, spinning room, squat racks, benches, Cardio Cinema, cardio equipment/machines, strength training equipment, and free weights. Overall, Gold's equipment is reported to be enough for the crowd that regularly attends with the machines and the company's equipment is in adequate condition. There have been no complaints about machines breaking down and not being repaired in a timely manner the way some customers of competing fitness centers have reported. There are also some competing gym chains that have outdated equipment according to members as well. With Gold's, this does not appear to be a common issue.

Cleanliness

Gold's has a reputation for building large, spacious gyms. Even though Gold's gym can and will be busy at high-traffic times, it feels less crowded and busy because of the design of the open layout. Across the board, customers agree that there is plenty of space and Gold's facilities are clean and reasonably maintained.

Group Fitness Classes

Gold's offers a wide variety of group exercise classes to help you reach your goals throughout the day. Even the busiest member can find a time slot to attend a class at Gold's local gym. These fitness classes provide members an opportunity to get in a good workout with a personal trainer or instructor and to socialize a little bit. Most locations hold their group classes starting at 4:30 a.m. with the last class time starting at 9:30 p.m. Some of the classes the company offers are Yoga, Zumba, Studio Cycle and Mixed Martial Arts. These classes are included in the membership fees. This is not always the case with other gym chains, that may charge additional fees for certain exercise classes such as yoga.

The Bad

• Gold's Gym Membership Price and contracts
  • Upfront fees
  • Hidden fees
  • Trainers and nutrition
  • Complaints

Gold's Gym Membership Price and Contracts

Gold's offers a monthly contract or you can pay for the entire year up front. The monthly fee is $29.99/month, which on its own is inexpensive compared to most gyms on the market today. One complaint customers have expressed about Gold's Gym is that its sales representatives are not forthcoming with the membership fees right away. There are countless customer reviews detailing negative experiences with employees/staff when trying to freeze or cancel your membership. While some gyms prorate their fees in cases where members cancel a membership before the month is up, Gold's does not. The company offers many introductory discounts through vehicles like Groupon, which attracts a large percentage of people interested in a Gold membership. Once these new members encounter Gold's sales representatives, members have reported unethical scenarios, such as being quoted misleading prices only for the company to charge their credit card a higher price than promised.

Upfront Fees

Customers seem to run into issues when it comes to Gold's upfront prices. If a member signs up for a basic, month-to-month membership, they're hit with a $100 initiation/enrollment fee plus the first month's monthly dues of $29.99. Therefore, a member who initially thinks they're enrolling in a $30 a month membership will have paid $130. In some locations like California, enrollment fees can get as high as $199. Other members who decide to enroll in a contract plan for one to three years, have the potential of having their initiation fee "waived" depending on how comfortable they feel, and skilled they are at talking to salesmen.

Hidden Fees

Gold's customers should be aware of hidden fees within the first few months of signup. Specifically, Gold's Gym charges members a $39.99 cleaning and maintenance fee two months after signup. We did not find any gyms that charge a cleaning and maintenance fee, putting Gold's Gym members at a disadvantage when it comes to this area.

Trainers and Nutrition

Gold's Gym offers personal trainers at its locations for those who are seeking assistance. New members get a free, do-it-yourself fitness evaluation tool on their website called The Gold's Gym Fit Test. This is a simple, five-exercise test designed to give you a true measure of your overall physical fitness compared to others in your age range and gender. When it comes to nutrition plans, Gold's Gym offers nutritional counseling, although the cost is not easily available without going through a sales rep at a local Gold's Gym. For many people, reaching their health and fitness goals becomes much easier when working with a personal trainer. Unfortunately, training or workout sessions are expensive and can get as high as $449. When compared to other large gym chains, we found some gyms to be more forthright with personal training fees which were more standardized regardless of location. Regarding nutritional coaching, not all gym chains offer it. Certain companies only offer physical training.

Complaints

While Gold's is known for being popular and having locations virtually everywhere, a red alert on the company due to having one of the worst customer service records in the industry. Numerous customers have reported various Gold's Gym's for acting in dishonest ways. Some of these reports cite things such as billing irregularities, contracts being illegally altered by sales members after the member has left, advertisements not being honored, and problems with canceling accounts when relocating, to name a few.

Other Available Amenities

Other amenities Gold's offers is a sauna/steam room, childcare and juice bars. Unlike many chain gyms, Gold's doesn't offer amenities like pools, massage beds, whirlpools or courts (basketball, racquetball and tennis courts). Gold's is more of a "no frills" gym.

The Bottom Line

We cannot recommend Gold's Gym due to the expensive enrollment fees, hidden fees, and additional costs. Customers generally agree that the company has nice, fairly updated facilities offering various classes for people of all fitness levels, along with a strong culture of bodybuilding and heavy lifting, but the negative seems to outweigh the positive. Access to certified personal trainers is limited due to excessive fees and working with staff/employees can be complicated tainted your experience with this fitness center/gym. The lengths to which Gold's goes to hide its fees and questionable ways its sales reps deal with customer issues says a lot about its business ethics and how much the gym values its members.

3.2

Sally Kage Mount Laurel, NJ

My towns version of golds gym was a really friendly and pleasant place to workout at. i honestly loved all of the equipment and since i moved out i really miss specifically this gym.

Isaias Ozone Park, NY

I'm a member at golds in howard beach (queens, ny). While golds gym seem to becoming scarce, this one in particular seems to pull thru. It's an amazing real gym experience. I don't know what the rules are because they're so lenient and the other customers are courteous. The only bad would be a lot of ppl don't rack their weights and evenings (like any gym) gets over crowded. I wouldn't wanna be a member at any other gym. To me it's a 2nd home.

edward reese Hyattsville, MD

The best equipment with a large gym space for all types of training. Less focus on having a basketball court and focused on the actual fitness experience. The daily bootcamp with workouts posted was an added bonus too. Only reason i'm no longer there is because of my corporate discount had issues with the gym closests to my house.

David O Pleasant Grove, UT

Gold's Gym is straightforward in their approach to fitness. They are serious about it. The popular gym company offers high quality equipment in exchange for large sums of money. Depending on location, there is enough equipment to go around. I am glad I got the experience to train at a Gold's gym and would do it everyday if I was wealthy. Four stars for Gold's Gym.

Shante Reeder Draper, UT

I have really loved coming to Golds to work out. At my location they have a womens section that makes it much less intimidating to lift weights. The facility is clean, and the staff is friendly.

take7 Sandy, UT

Lots of locations around me until they changed to Vasa. They had a good membership system to allow guests per membership. Was usually really full during early mornings and evenings. Better during work hours when its not so busy. Sometimes the front staff wasn't very helpful. Sometimes they just didn't care.

tania moe Memphis, TN

Gold's was a great gym while it was a local establishment. The only downfall was the difficulty in cancelling my plan. I moved to a state that did not have a Gold's gym and I paid for about 4 months of unused membership until I could finally get it cancelled.

Mikayla Ralston Pensacola, FL

I"ve been a Gold's member on and off for a years. Some of the gyms were nicer than others. Doesn't seem to be a standard. And they are usually overpriced. I usually wind up switching to another gym. For the last 3 years I've been with Sport and Health.

ave Pleasant Grove, UT

We used to go to Gold's Gym before it changed management and it was a ok gym. Needed a lot of updating and the equipment was getting run down. I wondered where my membership fees where going, not to getting new equipment I guess.

Haley Baldwin

I used Golds Gym before the one at my house was changed for a Planet Fitness. It was an alright gym. It wasn’t always the cleanest and the staff wasn’t super friendly most days. But it was all I had so I used it. I’m so glad to be going to Planet Fitness now!

Cristiana Orem, UT

I usually worked out at Gold Gym and I loved the environment, the people that worked there always friendly and helpful . Unfortunately we do not have it in my city. After they changed names I started to workout at Planet Fitness.

August Moulton Lehi, UT

I attended Golds gym before it became VASA. It was basic, but the price was right. I liked the water aerobic classes. I eventually stopped attending due to the overcrowded daycare and untrained staff in the childcare center. It was nearly impossible to get appointments and the place was always too crowded for me to feel safe leaving my kids.

Cruise Myers Gilbert, AZ

I have been there as a guest and enjoyed my time there. There were plenty of machines, weights, and benches available to mix up my workout and get it done. Unfortunately the gyms near me were closed down so I can not attend Gold's gym any longer.

Mary West Jordan, UT

I had a Gold's Gym membership for about 2 years and loved it. I went to the gym frequently and it was always well maintained and had all of the equipment that I needed. When I cancelled my membership I remember it being a slightly difficult process but it was fine.

Sofie Rosenvall Alpine, UT

I was a member of Golds Gym for a number of years until most of the locations around me were closed down... For the most part I enjoyed using their gyms. I was always treated kindly and at one point even hired a personal trainer from there to help me meet my goals. He was very helpful and kind... Great customer care!

PolyanaL Salt Lake City, UT

I live in Utah and I was very sad when Gold's Gym went away. I liked Gold's Gym and their employees. They were always there to help you whenever needed. They offered a lot of different classes and their price was affordable too.

janice pan ,

This gym was so great and every time I went, I didn't feel embarrassed to be there. So many different people there on so many different levels. And the facility, pretty awesome.

David T Draper, UT

Gold's gyms are nice, some are older. It doesn't bug me though, because I grew up working out in a used facility. The Gold's in Venice is a must workout location in your life if you are into bodybuilding.

Angelina Hamilton Gulfport, MS

I really like this gym its amazing and it has awesome customer service. They even have tanning available if you want. And a massage chair! Not open 24 hours but still have plenty of time to go! Prices just right too!

Sierra Beck Herriman, UT

I loved the group fitness classes! So motivating to see so many ladies and a few guys there, sweating it out and learning good form. And the instructor, the one who loved Barry Manilow was just the best.

BLF Pleasant Grove, UT

We used to go to Gold's Gym before it changed companies and it's name. They were a great place to work out and had several classes that were great for getting a good work out.

Katie Marz Orem, UT

I liked gold's gym when they were open by me. They've since closed down a lot of locations but when they were open by me it was nice to go in there! good and comfortable environment.

Matthew Carbaugh Herndon, VA

Local Gold’s gym at clocktower has seen many renevations over the past decade. Although usually an inconvience during construction, I really like the new equipment and rennovated areas!

Kip Fowler Pleasant Grove, UT

I have been a paying member of Golds gym for over 15 years. I have loved my experience there. I travel for work quite a bit and its nice to have common locations all over the country

John

They are an excellent gym, where I have gotten fit. My little issue is the lack of work out assistance that didn't cost additional money.

William South Jordan, UT

This is my favorite gym just because the quality and price are both great. This is a very convenient gym, because they are everywhere.

Amanda American Fork, UT

I liked going to golds gym. I loved the cardio cinema room the most. I would have liked more group fitness class options. I would have also liked more contract options.

Rylie Crandall Draper, UT

I liked this fitness center’s variety of equipment and staff, but it was too pricey to keep up. If it weren’t as pricey, I would still love to go here.

matthew Logan, UT

golds gym was an awesome place to work out but it got to expensive for me to work out there. but loved the workers and i liked to work out there better then planet fitness

Anne Sainsbury Payson, UT

You want a place where you can exercise, use free wifi, and you're an independent exerciser this is the place! Cheap membership and working equipment!

Starski Cene Vienna, VA

Member since 2002 Pros: Multiple locations Good equipment Childcare Cons: The old Fitness First buildings were never updated after the merger No rubber plates

Derek Scoville Pleasant Grove, UT

Golds gym has become so big, that I now get a monthly pass for $10/month. that is awesome. I have access to all the equipment, the pool, etc. No better gym!

Landon Robison Layton, UT

I have been a member of Gold's Gym for three years and have been overall very satisfied with their facilities. What you get for the price is excellent for $10 a month.

Darbles32 Managua, MN

The few golds gyms I’ve been to are a little run down but I feel only because they have been around for so long

neil Fullerton, CA

the North Las Vegas losee gym is decent could use a few more stairmasters. the one on Centennial is very small

Hailey Nilson Salt Lake City, UT

Gold's Gym is such a fun environment to work out in. The quality of the equipment is great and I really enjoy the cycling classes.

ally blackhurst Pleasant Grove, UT

I started going to golds gym in the 90’s when I was 18 years old. Great equipment, nice instructors, slightly intimidating environment.

Kristen Schow Pleasant Grove, UT

I loved the classes here. My gold turned into Vasa and I lost a lot of the classes that I loved. 😥 But this is a great gym!!!

Nicole Coo Pleasant Grove, UT

they have every machine on planet earth and enough that i’ve never had to fight for one. enjoyable to go during any time of the day!

Charlie Mableton, GA

Great Customer service, everyone is friendly, the gym is clean and has great hours

Willliam

generally good customer service - great hours - very nice equipment - many friendly people.

Randi Nelson Managua, MN

Golds gym is awesome when looking for a typical gym with the usual equipment and features to get a good workout.

Audrey Mitchell Managua, MN

Glods gym is a great place to go with reliable equipment, lots of different machines, and clean atmosphere

Alyssa Boren American Fork, UT

I like how they have places where your kids can play while you work out, it makes it so I am able to come more often.

Dale L Farmer Littleton, CO

It was a very serious place for those who wanted a very serious workout. Good free weights at the time.

Jeremy Mesa, AZ

Never been disappointed with them or their products. Good atmosphere with clear thought out into it.

S Suguturaga Orem, UT

The gym provides excellent and knowledgeable trainers and the environment is set up well to get a great workout.

Dave Brinton

I was a member of golds gym for 7 years. I appreciate the variety of equipment, and the training atmosphere.

Kristin G Pleasant Grove, UT

I switched my gym membership from Gold’s gym because the facility I was using here in Utah was not very clean.

kevin scalli Frederick, MD