Gold's Gym Logo

LAST UPDATED: May 26th, 2022

The first Gold’s Gym was opened in 1965 in Southern California. It quickly became known as the “Mecca of bodybuilding” frequented by bodybuilders Arnold Schwarzenegger and Dave Draper. It was also featured in the 1977 movie, “Pumping Iron.” The movie gained nationwide attention for the sport of bodybuilding, and the gym itself. The culture of heavy lifting, and bodybuilders still exists today at Gold’s Gyms across the United States. Over time, Gold’s has incorporated other fitness avenues into its gyms, making them user-friendly for non-lifters as well. Today, Gold’s is one of the most popular gyms in the country, serving more than 3 million members in 38 states and 22 countries around the world. Whether you are looking for a heavy lifting gym, a fitness center, a fitness club, of a generic gym facility, Gold's has what you are looking for to help you meet your fitness goals.

Planet Fitness Logo
#1 Planet Fitness chevron_right
3.7
YMCA Logo
#2 YMCA chevron_right
24 Hour Fitness Logo
#3 24 Hour Fitness chevron_right
3.9

The Good

• Equipment
  • Cleanliness
  • Group Fitness Classes

Equipment

Equipment offered at Gold's Gym includes resistance machines, spinning room, squat racks, benches, Cardio Cinema, cardio equipment/machines, strength training equipment, and free weights. Overall, Gold's equipment is reported to be enough for the crowd that regularly attends with the machines and the company's equipment is in adequate condition. There have been no complaints about machines breaking down and not being repaired in a timely manner the way some customers of competing fitness centers have reported. There are also some competing gym chains that have outdated equipment according to members as well. With Gold's, this does not appear to be a common issue.

Cleanliness

Gold's has a reputation for building large, spacious gyms. Even though Gold's gym can and will be busy at high-traffic times, it feels less crowded and busy because of the design of the open layout. Across the board, customers agree that there is plenty of space and Gold's facilities are clean and reasonably maintained.

Group Fitness Classes

Gold's offers a wide variety of group exercise classes to help you reach your goals throughout the day. Even the busiest member can find a time slot to attend a class at Gold's local gym. These fitness classes provide members an opportunity to get in a good workout with a personal trainer or instructor and to socialize a little bit. Most locations hold their group classes starting at 4:30 a.m. with the last class time starting at 9:30 p.m. Some of the classes the company offers are Yoga, Zumba, Studio Cycle and Mixed Martial Arts. These classes are included in the membership fees. This is not always the case with other gym chains, that may charge additional fees for certain exercise classes such as yoga.

The Bad

• Gold's Gym Membership Price and contracts
  • Upfront fees
  • Hidden fees
  • Trainers and nutrition
  • Complaints

Gold's Gym Membership Price and Contracts

Gold's offers a monthly contract or you can pay for the entire year up front. The monthly fee is $29.99/month, which on its own is inexpensive compared to most gyms on the market today. One complaint customers have expressed about Gold's Gym is that its sales representatives are not forthcoming with the membership fees right away. There are countless customer reviews detailing negative experiences with employees/staff when trying to freeze or cancel your membership. While some gyms prorate their fees in cases where members cancel a membership before the month is up, Gold's does not. The company offers many introductory discounts through vehicles like Groupon, which attracts a large percentage of people interested in a Gold membership. Once these new members encounter Gold's sales representatives, members have reported unethical scenarios, such as being quoted misleading prices only for the company to charge their credit card a higher price than promised.

Upfront Fees

Customers seem to run into issues when it comes to Gold's upfront prices. If a member signs up for a basic, month-to-month membership, they're hit with a $100 initiation/enrollment fee plus the first month's monthly dues of $29.99. Therefore, a member who initially thinks they're enrolling in a $30 a month membership will have paid $130. In some locations like California, enrollment fees can get as high as $199. Other members who decide to enroll in a contract plan for one to three years, have the potential of having their initiation fee "waived" depending on how comfortable they feel, and skilled they are at talking to salesmen.

Hidden Fees

Gold's customers should be aware of hidden fees within the first few months of signup. Specifically, Gold's Gym charges members a $39.99 cleaning and maintenance fee two months after signup. We did not find any gyms that charge a cleaning and maintenance fee, putting Gold's Gym members at a disadvantage when it comes to this area.

Trainers and Nutrition

Gold's Gym offers personal trainers at its locations for those who are seeking assistance. New members get a free, do-it-yourself fitness evaluation tool on their website called The Gold's Gym Fit Test. This is a simple, five-exercise test designed to give you a true measure of your overall physical fitness compared to others in your age range and gender. When it comes to nutrition plans, Gold's Gym offers nutritional counseling, although the cost is not easily available without going through a sales rep at a local Gold's Gym. For many people, reaching their health and fitness goals becomes much easier when working with a personal trainer. Unfortunately, training or workout sessions are expensive and can get as high as $449. When compared to other large gym chains, we found some gyms to be more forthright with personal training fees which were more standardized regardless of location. Regarding nutritional coaching, not all gym chains offer it. Certain companies only offer physical training.

Complaints

While Gold's is known for being popular and having locations virtually everywhere, a red alert on the company due to having one of the worst customer service records in the industry. Numerous customers have reported various Gold's Gym's for acting in dishonest ways. Some of these reports cite things such as billing irregularities, contracts being illegally altered by sales members after the member has left, advertisements not being honored, and problems with canceling accounts when relocating, to name a few.

Other Available Amenities

Other amenities Gold's offers is a sauna/steam room, childcare and juice bars. Unlike many chain gyms, Gold's doesn't offer amenities like pools, massage beds, whirlpools or courts (basketball, racquetball and tennis courts). Gold's is more of a "no frills" gym.

The Bottom Line

We cannot recommend Gold's Gym due to the expensive enrollment fees, hidden fees, and additional costs. Customers generally agree that the company has nice, fairly updated facilities offering various classes for people of all fitness levels, along with a strong culture of bodybuilding and heavy lifting, but the negative seems to outweigh the positive. Access to certified personal trainers is limited due to excessive fees and working with staff/employees can be complicated tainted your experience with this fitness center/gym. The lengths to which Gold's goes to hide its fees and questionable ways its sales reps deal with customer issues says a lot about its business ethics and how much the gym values its members.

3.2

Mnm420 Clearwater, FL

When I was a member of Golds they made me sign a contract for a specific length of time where they automatically withdrew the monthly payment from my bank account. It was also expensive and overpriced. I didn't go to Golds much after the first couple of months because the place was ahead market and I couldn't even keep track of my reps because there was always some guy hitting on me. I tried to cancel my membership but I couldn't and had to pay the full term of the membership agreement so I paid for a whole lot of nothing.

Austin Sisneros Seattle, WA

I am extremely disappointed with the operations management of the Idaho falls company specifically Becca C, and how she treats veterans. I had to cancel my membership due to a permanent change of duty station for the army and gave my 30 day notice written consent via email and then was charged again for this month. I contacted Becca hoping she would understand and she was incredibly dismissive, unprofessional and refused to refund the money. I had to contact my bank to open a formal dispute and add a merchant block because she refused to refund the money or confirm that my membership was actually cancelled. The way the management has handled this situation was disrespectful and practically stealing money. I would strongly recommend anyone looking for a different gym to pay the extra for a company like Club Apple that will treat you fairly and respectfully.

Gia Regina Waco, TX

I love their exercise equipment. They have a vast variety of exercise equipment. My fitness level has increased. It’s a friendly atmosphere and the hours they are open are flexible.

Evelyn Shope Nashville, TN

DO NOT JOIN THIS GYM. I was given a yearly contract that I did not mean to originally sign up for. When I went to cancel it, they told me it was a $300 cancelation fee. Not only that but it has been EXTREMELY difficult for me to cancel the contract. The employees will try to get your money anyway they can. Awful experience.

Mario Martin Houston, TX

I started my training as a high school athlete, and Gold's gym was the reason why I experienced success as a recognize athlete. Now, I'm plus 60 yrs. and Gold's gym is still one of the reasons for my great physical health and fitness.

Kaylee Gay Chicago, IL

One of my favorite things about Gold's Gym is the people. The people who work at Gold are some of the nicest people you will ever meet! They are willing to help you with anything. As well as the people who go to Gold' Gym just love to workout and support each other. Gold's GYm just has such a great atmosphere. I love their cycling class the most because it always pushes you and you get such a great workout. Their machines are also very clean and work great.

MM Largo, FL

I didn't care much for Gold's membership requirements where you have to sign up for a specific term for which they automatically deduct the fees from your back account every month. There is no way to cancel the membership early and they will keep taking your money for three length of the contract whether you want them membership or not, even if you don't use the gym anymore. It was also somewhat of a meat market and I always felt like I was having to migrate around the gym to get away from someone hitting on me. Memberships are also overpriced compared to other gyms.

MAC San Jose, CA

I've been with Gold' s for four years now. It will be my last gym. Why? Because it is a gym! Gold' s gym has what serious bodybuilders and athletes are looking for. I go to the gym to workout not to be social or hear a bunch of talk about other people's problems. If you're looking for the "foo, foo" spa, you have no business at Gold' s Gym. However, if you're looking to get your best workout on quality equipment you would do well at Gold' s.

Chad Edgar Wentzville, MO

What's awesome about Gold's Gym is they have all awesome equipment in great condition good community good service providers always willing to help

Brittney Mac Gregor Louisville, KY

It's been quite some time since I visited a Gold's Gym. At one time there were nearly as many Gold's Gyms in my area as there were Mcdonald's, back in 2009 or so. Every single one of them has since shut down and I'm going to have to say for good reason. Gold's Gym is responsible for ruining several people's credit. The company would disgraceful talk you into a contract in which they would rush you to sign without explaining the catch. You had to pay the membership fee every month whether you attended the gym or not and after being late just ONCE, they would report you to a collection . The equipment wasn't replaced after worn down and the gym I went to was often dirty with used towels laying around. My favorite machine was almost never working, the (what I call buns of steel machine), that worked your butt. Basically I paid a boat load of money to walk on a treadmill once a week and couldn't get out of the contract until it was served in full. Lastly, I forgot to cancel the membership as soon as the contract was due to end and got roped into a whole other year contract. There are so many better NO CONTRACT options besides Gold's Gym these days.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Gold's gym has always been the standard to beat. They offer a variety of weight machines and Nautilus too. They have a variety of instructor led classes that help with fitness training. I have been very happy with Gold's Gym service and pricing.

jacob McClelland Tampa, FL

never had a problem with golds gym in Sebring Fl! Price is right and nobody seems to mess with us at all.... Go in there do what we gotta do and leave! Matter of fact somebody always there to greet you and there to wish you a good evening! No problems here.

Mrz G Hayward, CA

I gave it a 7 because at my local Salinas Ca gold's gym we have a womens section and we use to very I mean very few weight machines mostly cardio I know us women hit the cardio more but that we can do anywhere I feel like we should have the 4 in one machines instead of like 4 different ones because those 4 machines make the 4 in one that they have up in the everybody section that's always being hogged by someone and also feels more comfortable to do at the women's section without having to be stared at. I give it a 10 with their zumba amd Ujam instructors those are the ones that motivate me and make it fun if it wasn't for them I would change gyms

Isaias Ozone Park, NY

I'm a member at golds in howard beach (queens, ny). While golds gym seem to becoming scarce, this one in particular seems to pull thru. It's an amazing real gym experience. I don't know what the rules are because they're so lenient and the other customers are courteous. The only bad would be a lot of ppl don't rack their weights and evenings (like any gym) gets over crowded. I wouldn't wanna be a member at any other gym. To me it's a 2nd home.

Jakub Lizon Baltimore, MD

They charged full price even though they had covid restricted hours for longer than any gym or business I am aware of. I was barely able to use it at all because I work late. They "restored" their hours and yet weekends still close an hour earlier than before covid. That is not what I signed up for. I signed with the impression they would honor their hours (at least after covid). Again, when they cut their hours during covid, I still had to pay full price for a restricted service. Cancellation fee was enormous like usual, and they offered zero help or explanation. All the while they complained I would come in too close to closing time, as if I had any choice. And now they permanently cut weekend hours with no explanation. Ill finish my membership, but I'm done with them. They're a greedy, dishonest company, and only seem to be getting worse. Oh, and they got rid of student discounts in 2020 because money.

Natalia Correa MDTribe Miami, FL

I worked out at Gold's Gym before and I really liked the setup they had. They had great equipment for lifting weights and for cardio. They also had affordable memberships which I liked.

Shaylee Provo, UT

I love Golds Gym. I go to this gym when I am home visiting my family and love it. They keep the equipment updated and clean and I love the fitness classes. Instructors are also great.

edward reese Hyattsville, MD

The best equipment with a large gym space for all types of training. Less focus on having a basketball court and focused on the actual fitness experience. The daily bootcamp with workouts posted was an added bonus too. Only reason i'm no longer there is because of my corporate discount had issues with the gym closests to my house.

Austin Stelmach Boulder, CO

Gold's gym is my home away from home. I love my morning workouts at gold's gym and appreciate the ample space for everyone to workout (unlike smaller gyms that make you wait 20 minutes to use a single piece of equipment). I highly recommend!

Stephanie Love Herriman, UT

I went to golds gym for years. I loved how they had everything. They had the pool, hot tub, sauna, cardio (movie) room, class, weights, basketball courts, etc...the staff were amazing and the cost was very affordable. I looked forward to my gym/spa days.

Ramone Raiford Tallahassee, FL

This is the best gym! I was a weightlifter so there were not any places to go workout at if you weren’t at practice. This gym allowed power lifting and strength conditioning when other places didn’t. This also was a place where you could practice CrossFit. Most gyms only have the basics

Ashley Pleasant Grove, UT

I liked it when I belonged to Gold''s Gym down in Provo, close to BYU. There were always enough machines available even for a college town. I like the instructors who worked there. They seem to be up to date on the latest music and exercises available.

Reese Pleasant Grove, UT

I have been a member of Gold's Gym in the past and they are great for someone like me who likes to go to the gym and work out and not have all the distractions and expensive options of some of the other gyms. But, they do have many options and all a person needs to work out and to get into shape.

Ann Bailey Lehi, UT

I used a trainer at Gold's gym after my fourth baby. I was worried about going there, and was pleasantly surprised to see ordinary people just like me trying to stay in shape and lose weight. I like the different classes and varieties of machines they offer.

David O Pleasant Grove, UT

Gold's Gym is straightforward in their approach to fitness. They are serious about it. The popular gym company offers high quality equipment in exchange for large sums of money. Depending on location, there is enough equipment to go around. I am glad I got the experience to train at a Gold's gym and would do it everyday if I was wealthy. Four stars for Gold's Gym.

Tera Layton, UT

I joined the Gold's Gym for about 6 months. I really enjoyed the gym and all the amenities that it offered. I absolutely love going to the gym. I am on a very tight budget so I eventually had to cancel my gym membership. I ended up joining a gym that didn't have a contract.

anupam sumessur Lorton, VA

I had free sessions and i fell in love with gold's gym. A variety of equipment to help me progress

Elisabeth Kinghorn Bangkok, 10

I love working out at Gold’s Gym! Lots of high quality equipment and super well experienced staff. I definitely feel like I’m working out in a top notch facility

Mary Hardy Charlotte, NC

I visited this Gold's twice while on vacation @ Great Wolf Lodge. This place makes my Gold's back home feel/look like Average Joe's. Very nice gym with great equipment!

Nicholas Knowlton Pflugerville, TX

I have been a Gold's Gym Member for years and am switching to Lifetime Fitness. Gold's Gym is horrible and has some of the slowest response times ever, and some of the most ridiculous fees. I got a call saying that there was an issue with my billing. I called back same day and pressed option 2 for current members. I was on hold forever and called back three times. I could not get through at all! I finally got fed up and dialed option 1 for new memberships and got to a salesperson immediately. I was pretty pissed and told him that I have been on hold and wanted to figure out why my card was not going through, dude barely listened and immediately transferred me to their line for current members where I was back on hold. THE HOURS ARE HORRIBLE, CUSTOMER SERVICE IS NON EXISTENT, DO NOT BUY A MEMBERSHIP HERE!

Sally Kage Mount Laurel, NJ

My towns version of golds gym was a really friendly and pleasant place to workout at. i honestly loved all of the equipment and since i moved out i really miss specifically this gym.

Bonny756 ,

This fitness center helped me changed my body and gain healthy habits. I am very thankful to the people I met here and the way it influenced me, positively sure.

Shante Reeder Draper, UT

I have really loved coming to Golds to work out. At my location they have a womens section that makes it much less intimidating to lift weights. The facility is clean, and the staff is friendly.

Shannon Robert Clemson, SC

I joined right before the pandemic and bought a training package - I cannot go to the gym right now as I am compromised. I gave them a note from my doctor. They started drafting me again AND will not refund my money for training (I lost my summer work altogether and am at risk to lose my house - I cannot go to the gym right now- I feel they are holding me hostage and screwing me over and could care less about it). I will NEVER recommend this company to anyone else after this. I would have happily gone back after we are safe again, but now I will tell everyone that they are unreasonable in cases like this.

JJ Birmingham, AL

(Edit: I failed to mention that Gold's Gym has never contacted me for any of the requests I've entered using their support system. ) The contact support option does not allow contact with a person. This would not be bad except they provide no feedback that a support ticket was created. There is no ticket reference number to track or refer to. There is no email confirming you submitted a ticket. There is no phone line to contact a rep for help. It is a false, misleading and abusive member system that no member or user can circumvent or gain access to any form of a solution. Contacting a local office does no help, because they are not the recipients of these help tickets, or at least every ticket that's been submitted by me has never been seen at my gym. This is the epitome of falseness, misdirection and member abuse taking the face of "support". -JJ

Shawn G Ashburn, VA

UPDATE: I HAVE BEEN PRESSURIZED BY GOLD'S ASHBURN MANAGEMENT TO TAKE THIS TRUTHFUL REVIEW DOWN. :) CAUTION: SERIOUS ADULT BULLYING HAPPENS HERE, trashy gym-jerks have control over the gym and the lying, unethical staff/management (some of whom are friends with these bullies) won't prevent it..won't take action! DO NOT JOIN THIS GYM IF YOU CARE ABOUT CIVILITY AND YOUR DIGNITY!! READ THIS REVIEW TO KNOW MORE. A POLICE REPORT HAS BEEN FILED AND APPROVED AGAINST THE BULLY/ASSAULTER. COPS HAVE SUGGESTED TO CALL THEM RIGHT AWAY IN CASE OF ANY OFFENSES/THREATS/AGGRESSION BY THE BULLY. It's unfortunate that after being a member for 5 years I had to experience the following. 1. First Offense: This bully, an arrogant bulky guy, verbally assaulted me using slang because I didn't leave a machine I was using on his random demand. He threatened me of physical assault as well. You don't expect such behavior from normal adults at a (believed to be) civil surrounding. Hence I reported the behavior to the available gym staff. Surprisingly the gym staff was reluctant to take any action and asked to just send an email to the General Manager of the gym. I insisted the staff to at least come and see who the person is. 2. Second Offense: The bully, showing his crude temperament, abused me again in front of the gym staff and people in the gym. I decided to not go down to the bully's low levels/giving up my civility and decided to hold back. The witnessing gym staff didn't say a word to prevent this. To my surprise the staff rather 'suggested' me to stay away from the bully/come back to the gym later as he'd like to avoid any 'physical incident' at the gym. I emailed the management and wrote a review on Yelp (where I had mentioned the bully's name but within a short time removed it on my own). After 2 weeks of following up the reluctant management finally agreed to give at least a warning to the bully. I was told by the management that the bully happens to be a long time member with many 'friends' at the gym so that's all they would do. The management insisted that I should get witnesses to prove my case as the bully already gathered some witnesses in his favor (funny...eh?). The gym staff was my witness but he backed out and lied since he didn't want to get into trouble. Looking at the inefficiency and lack of ethics by the management, I decided to cancel my membership after the current month to month cycle. Meanwhile, the bully continued to give me glares which I ignored. 3. Third Offense: After almost a month from the incident and my Yelp review, the bully suddenly approached me again when I was working out on my own and threatened me if I mention him on Yelp/online review (which was removed almost a month ago) or anywhere then he is going to have problems with me and I'm going to be in trouble. I tried avoiding him but he continued to follow me in the gym and give me threats. I reported it to the management. The management informed me that after seeing the CC TV footage they decided to terminate the bully's membership. I also filed a police report to prevent these kind of harassment from the bully, who didn't seem normal and a serial abuser. I thought since bully won't be in the gym anymore to create nuisances...it's OK to reinstate my membership. The management said, they should be able to do so and requested me to meet once. There began all the ridiculousness! It seems like the management never had plans to keep the bully out of the gym for long. They were in a false position since I considered getting back to the gym (and was supposed to find out the truth). They told me that the bully has been lobbying to ownership via his friends to get back to the gym. Hence, I might see him again soon (the ownership would be equally unethical to even entertain abusers like that). It was hilarious to see their sympathy for a persecutor/serial abuser than the victim who didn't break any rules and stayed civil. The management pressurized me to take down my Yelp review, which was hurting them even if it's completely true. They later informed me that due to my Yelp review on their gym the bully is having issues at work (works at some pest control company, which is unrelated to the gym) and with his family (seriously??). Hence, they don't feel like reinstating my membership (by that time which I didn't even want anymore after seeing their unethical practices). Either it was a lie by the bully or lame excuse by the management or both. In reality it was rather the management's vengeful retaliation because of my Yelp review. If you care about your dignity, peace of mind and safety. DO NOT join this gym. There are better alternatives in the area.

Paulette Anderson High Point, NC

Heads up people: Do NOT use Golds Gym. Pass this along to protect others. They are SCAMMERS. I am canceling my membership and joining a REPUTABLE Gym. Here's their scam. They asked me if I wanted a personal trainer, and I said yes. They said it would $875.00 for a minimum of 3 months and I agreed. They said they would bill my credit card for 3 equal payments of $291.00. I agreed. Everything was going fine until I realized you can't cancel until they have billed at least $2000 ! They kept charging my card hundreds of dollars! I disputed the charges. They LIED to my credit card company saying I had signed a contract. I DID NOT. My credit card company tried to get Golds Gym to send them a copy of the contract for 6 months. There was NO contract, and now all the money has been credited to my account. The personal trainers are NOT part of the SCAM....they do a great job. Do not give Golds Gym your credit card number.

ELIZABETH El Paso, TX

The ladys bathrooms at 5:00 am at the Tierra Este el Paso Tx location,are very dirty,never they had been clean,the vanities,toilets and showers. The bye room has 5 bikes that they don't work and any has the sign our of order.I changed my membership to this gym because the EP Fitness that I was member,was very dirty and now he stars to be dirty.

Nishita McLean, VA

I've been a Gold's gym member in India and no in the Ashburn location. They have a great variety of equipment and I also enjoy the zumba sessions they offer

Tricked customer Humble, TX

All I wanted is to take Zoomba classes, they told me I needed to have a trainer session, so I go meet this "trainer guy" who keeps calling me young lady this young lady that, I'm 40 plus and I don't need somebody forcing me to have a private trainer. This guy finally stormed out of the room because I refused to get a trainer. When I became a member the representative told me I could cancel any time, but when I tried to cancel, I realized I have signed a 2 year contract instead (that's why they use those tablets to make you sign on...sneaky people) finally after 2 years I was able to cancel my membership, but for some reason, it did not get cancel and they kept taking money from my card, so I cancelled my card and then I called them to try to cancel it again. They not only denied I tried to cancel it two months before but since I cancelled my card they told me my account was delinquent and I had to pay the balance before i could cancel it so, my debt went from 47 dollars to 171. I hope nobody has to go through this.

Stacy Kay Salt Lake City, UT

Such a shady company with shady sales people. I have 2 friends that were told they could cancel at any time with no fees, but they were told that was incorrect when they went to cancel. I have an older family member that was never told that their membership would go to month to month when their year contract was up. When their contract was almost up, they were called by a salesperson to see if they wanted to renew. My family member said no, and the salesperson said okay they were good then. The family member saw 3 months later that they were still be charged. It took a letter to the CEO to get it cancelled and get his money back. Another bad thing about this place is that it is way too crowded and I'm not a fan of crowd that does go here. They aren't bad people in any way, but I like to go to be healthy and fit. I'm not a bodybuilder, and that is who this gym seems to attract mostly.

Nate Miramar Beach, FL

They can’t have any stars at all. That is how low I rate this company. Gold’s Gym will meet their match one day and a law suit will end their lying and deception to each customer. Once you sign up with a happy spirited person that tells you you can cancel your membership anytime etc etc etc. The truth is that Gold’s will do everything to keep charging your card or attempt to ruin your credit. It’s a total scam taught to the lowest employees. There is no membership to a gym that takes 30 days to cancel. Of course you must roll the dice to see if they actually cancel the membership. I will do all I can for my entire life to share with everyone I am able to share to never ever use these horrible cheap gyms with their Gustapo tactics of charging and taking hostage of your personal credit card and money as their own. END GOLD’S GYMs for good.

Heidi M. Andover, MA

Terrible to get out of your contract even when you honor your time. They took the liberty to extend my contract. They offered my daughter 2 free months if she signed under me-my job moved so I wasn't extending-they new this. Daughter with a health issue and not medically cleared to train yet. This was done on a Sunday, without my knowledge or consent despite my immediately calling back when my daughter came home. She hoped to surprise me not knowing my work situation, and I had to remind her to holdback because of her health status. She completely understood and called back as well. That paperwork, without my authorization, was submitted anyway, despit our clear requests to withdraw, again, on a Sunday (non-business day)! They had no regard for me, my needs, circumstances,I had honored my contract and had no permission to do what they did. Getting out of their contract was horrendous! RUN to THC (Tewksbury Health Club) down the street-far more honorable,professional...!!!!!!!!!! No, THC is not aware of this review but they will be!

Katelyn Empey Logan, UT

I liked having a gym membership and a gym that had all the equipment that I needed and wanted. I wasn't a fan of the atmosphere all the time, but it was a decent price for what I needed. I did NOT like trying to get out of my contract. They tend to be a little bit of a hassle.

Brian Newark, NJ

If you had asked me about Gold's Gym five months ago, I'd have nothing but praise for them. However five months ago I broke my leg and called to cancel my account. The individual I spoke with was nice and prompt in processing my request; or so I thought. That I received no confirmation of my cancellation should have been a red flag and is entirely on me, but the fact is that Gold's attempted to bill me repeatedly without attempting to contact me once. They have now put me in collections for the tune of $600. One way or another this will be taken care of, but Gold's cannot pay me to use their facilities nor recommend them to anyone. I'm honestly more inclined to dissuade people from joining them.

Dale Kirkham

Easy to join, hard to cancel.. Can't cancel by phone, can't cancel on weekends or after 6 pm, must be in person or send certified mail to a corporate office, which I've read is a black hole. This is a real problem if you end up moving. They will not prorate if you cancel in the middle of the month. In fact they will charge you a full extra month beyond that due to a "30 day cancellation notice" requirement. This is despite the fact that I called several times to cancel, but that doesn't count. Numerous BS hurdles to jump through to cancel. There are better gyms with friendlier staff and non-abusive polices.

Julia Drozdova Cypress, TX

Gold's gym looks like a sect - easy to sigh, hard to give up It's impossible to cancel club's membership on-line. It took for my family 2 months to cancel membership in Gold's gym. First, my spouse asked about cancellation in our club, Edmond, Ok. They said, they can't do that in their club, we need to call, and we should notify them one month earlier. OK. We called to the office. But, in January they still charged payment. We called again. It appeared the only way we can cancel our membership is to send certified letter to their office in Dallas. Why we should pay for the service, we did not use? Now we chose another fitness club in spite we have Gold's gym close to our house.

dale roberts Chantilly, VA

Watch out for these people. They will charge you for fees incorrectly then refuse to help, then refuse to refund the full amount even after they admit the mistake. We joined the Leesburg club before it was Gold's but during our membership it was purchased by Gold's. We took the opportunity to transfer to the Ashburn facility because it was nicer and closer. We followed the instructions of the Leesburg front desk to the tee. We paid for membership and personal training at the new club for full year in advance. Half way through the second year we realized that the Leesburg club had begun charging us again. The Leesburg manager did nothing but challenge whether or not we had correctly cancelled our membership at his club. When I returned to speak to him he had done nothing and couldn't even remember the situation. I talked to the Ashburn club and they put their hands up, "We're a franchise, we have nothing to do with them". I talked to the Ashburn manager who said he would call the Leesburg manager... he did not do so. Again I solicited his help and he responded that I should get him all the information and he would see what he could do. Not convincing... and I never heard from him again. Finally I contacted the home office. They researched the problem and admitted the mistake. However, they refused to refund the full overcharged amount citing a policy stating they will only refund 90 days of an overcharge. Not a law... a company policy that allows them to steal. No one said "Gee, we screwed up and we're sorry"... no one. No one took the torch and said "Let's get this fixed"... no one. No one said "you've paid on time and been a valued customer"... no one. Leesburg didn't help at all. Ashburn disavowed responsibility. The home office admitted the mistake but stole our money anyway. Gold's Gym is not an ethical business and should not be considered if you value integrity.

Martin Gavin Arlington, VA

Worst gym out there. Stay far away. dying brand with horrible customer service. They'll do anything to hold on to a buck. Canceled my membership, still got charged, told me I had to cancel online, webpage didn't work. Finally called to cancel with corporate, they verified cancellation but insisted that I be charged for an additional 30 days. I will never use Gold's again nor will I ever recommend it. I'll do exactly the opposite and post negative reviews whenever the chance arises. Enjoy your 34.00USD Gold's, you're gonna need it when you're fully out of business. XSport and 24Hr blow you away.

Aymee Callister Salt Lake City, UT

I belonged to a local gym and had a contract through them. Recently it switched over to a Gold's Gym. They cancelled the ONLY classes I went to, but informed each contracted member that the contracts will remain the same. Under my previous contract I could cancel anytime (for a fee). Since I was no longer using the facilities I went to cancel my membership. Not only were they not helpful in any way, they would not cancel my membership. They said I could "buy out" the rest of my term (for over $400) or wait until it expires in September. So now I get to pay each month for a membership that I am not using due to changes they made that were completely out of my control and would no longer work with my schedule. You would think that after switching over and changing things up so much they would have a plan in place to take care of members coming from the old gym in case they are dissatisfied. Apparently customer service is not on their priority list, and they'll happily take my money every month even though I can't use the facility, when before they came in and took over, I could. Not happy at all. I miss the non chain gym we used to have. Definitely won't be renewing after my membership lapses.