Crunch health club was started in 1989 in a basement aerobics studio in the East Village of New York City. The company shares that this location in its inception had no locker rooms or air conditioning, in addition to being burglarized regularly. From the beginning Crunch’s mission was to make exercise and the total gym experience fun. To accomplish this, the founders eliminated traditional ideas of what were considered serious workouts at the time by collaborating with a highly creative group of fitness instructors with a wide range of expertise. The result was the development of challenging fitness classes and programs with a completely fresh slant. More than two decades later, Crunch still believes in making serious exercise fun by fusing fitness and entertainment and holding true to its “No Judgements” philosophy. Crunch is headquartered in New York City, co-owned by New Evolution Ventures (NeV) and private-equity firm Angelo Gordon. It currently serves over 400,000 members with both corporate-owned and franchised locations (Crunch Essential) in cities throughout the U.S. and in Australia. Crunch continues to expand across the U.S. and around the globe. It also has a franchise program for those wanting to own and operate a local Crunch location of their own.

#1 Planet Fitness chevron_right
3.8
#2 Vasa chevron_right
3.6
#3 Gold's Gym chevron_right
2.9

The Good

• Equipment
  • Cleanliness
  • Classes
  • Other available amenities
Equipment

When it comes to equipment, regular members feel Crunch has all the necessities to build and shape an awesome physique. Each Crunch Gym boasts the best strength and cardio equipment in the industry. Whether members are looking to do bicep curls with free weights, or use various exercise machines, you can find it at Crunch. All stations are adequately spaced from one another, so there is plenty of room to do what you need. All weights remain racked so members don't have to go fishing around for dumbbells. Crunch also has a boxing area, big bag, and jungle gym.

Cleanliness

Many of their gyms have positive reviews about how clean their facilities are. Gym cleanliness appears to be consistently important across most of Crunch's fitness locations. Everything (floor, plates, dumbbells) is coated in rubber, so which prevents both damage to the facilities and equipment, as well as unnecessary noise. According to customer feedback, "the gym is very clean, (and) upscale," while the restrooms, locker rooms, showers, and sauna are all considered "spa-quality." These facilities also feature complimentary high-end toiletries, large shower cabins, and high-end shower heads. The gym and locker rooms are well-kept by staff and clean. Crunch provides body wash, shampoo, and conditioner in each stall. Towels are available at the front desk. There are also basic hygiene products like mouthwash, cotton balls, and hair dryers in the wash area next to the sauna room. One unique feature is Crunch's large and very clean toilet cabins where you can change clothes in privacy. Very few gyms we reviewed have this option, which is a plus for those who prefer not to be naked in front of other gym members.

Classes

Crunch is known for its unique classes and fun atmosphere. The variety of classes and experienced instructors/personal trainers has consistently been one of Crunch's biggest selling points for the past 25 years. Many reviewers say that going into a Crunch gym can often feel like you've walked into a club or party. There is always upbeat music playing throughout the gym. Offerings like Hip-Hop Aerobics, Co-Ed Action Wrestling, and Cyked Yoga Cycling are offered along with many others. Each instructor is well versed in their respective courses. Consumers may also search classes by their favorite instructor online to find dates and times of each class.

Other Available Amenities

Other available amenities include a full-service locker room, towel service, a touch screen menu for group fitness classes, designated stretching tables, filtered water for your hydration, and so much more. We found these to be unique among most of the fitness centers we reviewed. We also noticed that Crunch has a pool and basketball court. Crunch offers personal trainers at all locations for those seeking personal fitness assistance. These trainers are certified and use a wide array of personal training tools such as battle ropes, kettlebells, TRX Suspension Straps, Bulgarian Bags, and MMA equipment to name a few. These functional training tools allow our trainers to provide an array of High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) workouts.

The Bad

• Price and contracts
  • Upfront fees
  • Hidden fees
Price and Contracts

Crunch offers month-to-month contracts, which are great for people who are unsure about how long they will be committed to a fitness routine. Some locations offer a $9.95 month-to-month membership with no contract, although this deal is only available to users in certain areas. There is not a consistent membership rate among any of the locations. This can become very confusing and irritating if you're enrolling in a membership online and you see that a location in New York is $99 a month, while another location in Oregon is $9.95 a month. Varying processing fees and pro-rated annual fees are also a major turn off for people who might have otherwise wanted to purchase a gym membership; however, unlike several gyms whose prices are impossible to find, Crunch's fees are available for all to see online. Along with these inconsistencies, Crunch has certain locations-particularly in New York and New Jersey-where locations are very pricey for what you're getting. Many reviews and complaints are about high-end gym pricing, for a lower- to middle- class gym. One reviewer stated that she could pay $99 a month to workout at Crunch, or she could pay $140 a month to workout at The Sports Club/LA and have a country club type experience each time she went to the gym. Many reviewers also state that they have had issues canceling their month-to-month non-contract memberships with Crunch. That there are many loopholes, and stipulations to complete the process. On a good note, students can get a special rate.

Upfront Fees

Crunch is known for being very inconsistent with their initiation fees, hidden dues, and monthly rates. Typical enrollment fees are $239.98, which are extremely pricey for chain gyms. We found the industry average to range between $100 and $150.

Hidden Fees

The initial membership pricing is very seductive to those wanting an affordable gym membership. Let's take a look at sign up for a Los Angeles Crunch membership: Fees Due Today: Enrollment Fee: $0.00 This Month: $7.10 Last Month's Dues: $109.99 Processing Fee: $49.99 Pro-Rated Annual Fee: $6.66 Out of most gyms we reviewed, Crunch had the highest quantity of and most expensive hidden fees. This makes being a member-which appears to be cost-effective at first-to be an expensive proposition.

Trainers and Nutrition

In terms of pricing, you have to submit an email form before Crunch will tell you how much its personal training sessions cost. We found this inferior to some gyms that offer an upfront pricing chart for customers with pricing rates. Also, Crunch offers a nutritional plan with their own line of products, but customers have complained feeling high sales pressure from gym employees to purchase the gym's protein shakes and products. We did not find any customer reviews that disclosed the personal trainer pricing, except to allude to it being expensive for them. The only complaint we found with regard to the classes themselves was that at certain locations, the fitness instructors show favoritism, paying attention to and correcting the forms of their favorite students only. For group classes, there have been times where it's so crowded that there are not enough supplies. And while Crunch's mobile app lets you reserve a class spot for the next class, in some instances, people have come to class only to find someone else in their seat/machine/bike, etc.

Inconsistent Facilities

In 2010 Crunch took over several former Gold's Gyms. Many reviewers have stated that in renovating the gyms, Crunch cut several corners, leaving many things unfinished in the gyms, giving the gyms a messy, inconsistent feel.

The Bottom Line

Crunch is known for its unique classes and fun atmosphere. The variety of classes and experienced instructors has consistently been one of the gym's biggest selling points for the past 25 years. Crunch has a wide variety of great classes taught by skilled and experienced instructors, good clean equipment, and a fun environment. Overall, Crunch is a gym that will do the job for some people, but would be a terrible fit for others. Inconsistencies with pricing and quality of facilities are evident in online reviews by customers. This is especially problematic because, while Crunch has its pricing available for all of its gym locations online, one person paying a rate of $9.95 a month, while another pays a $99 rate doesn't sit well for the person paying 10-times as much for the same services. If Crunch could come up with a more consistent pay scale and eliminate its very high processing and enrollment fees, it would certainly be a contender on the list of great, affordable gyms. But at the end of the day most people are ruled by their wallets, and the majority of Crunch's price ranges don't fit the average gym user's budget. Many reviewers also state that they have had issues canceling their month-to-month non-contract memberships with Crunch.

1.9
starstar_halfstar_borderstar_borderstar_border

Laura Brown
August 16th, 2019 Riverside, CA

My friends & I went to the Crunch Gym on Hole Ave, Riverside to sign-up and were appalled by the reception we received from Sara at the front desk. There were several people standing by the desk waiting to be checked in. She was too busy chit-chatting & laughing to check them in & just waved them in!!! That is some security!!!! We stood there waiting to be helped. When she finally decided to assist us, she had a major attitude. Her unpleasant attitude just made us walk out. No Customer service!! We noticed the gym personnel to be just sitting around laughing, totally unprofessional!!! We are going somewhere else! Crunch, you need to train your employees the art of customer service. It's obvious SARA needs to take a course or 5!!!!!!!! Shame, shame, shame!!!!! I should have done my homework here before going! So many bad reviews for this gym. Pretty appalling that Crunch has not tried to improve their image!!

Mmmmm
July 25th, 2019 Santa Clarita, CA DETAILS

On April 4, 2019, I signed up for personal training with Davis, the personal training manager at the Santa Clarita CRUNCH FITNESS for a package of 8 sessions which also included 2 additional sessions for free. The cost was $480.00. Unlike a standard business contract, there was NO paperwork just Davis indicating for me to sign on the electronic signage pad for my training package. NEVER ONCE did he mention there would be a monthly recurring charge of $480.00. Of course I signed because I was purchasing my 8 + 2 training sessions and I wanted to pay for them. WHY would I question that? Any legitimate and ethical business would advise you that you were actually signing a monthly recurring contract. Again NOT ONCE was ANYTHING mentioned about being charged monthly for additional training sessions. On May 6, 2019 a company named ABC FINANCIAL took $480.00 out of my account and again on June 4, 2019 took another $480.00. A TOTAL of $960.00 was taken from my account that I NEVER AUTHORIZED. While under the impression that I was ONLY paying for my 8 + 2 sessions, I did sign their electronic signage pad. Though, because of their misleading, dishonest and corrupt business practices, in reality I was UNKNOWINGLY signing a contact that was allowing them to charge me monthly for sessions that I never intended to have. I went into CRUNCH FITNESS and spoke to Jabari D, the club manager on June 10, 2019 regarding the unauthorized charges He then completed a “Request For Refund” form and informed me that I would be refunded the $960.00 in 7-10 business days. I did receive a check dated June 27, 2019 for $480.00. I immediately contacted Jabari D inquiring about the remaining $480.00 still owed to me, and he said he would look into it. After two weeks of multiple phone calls and emails to Jabari D, all of which were ignored, I started sending letters to the founders of CRUNCH FITNESS, Curtis and David H. I also spoke to Nic S, the Business Customer Service, Creative Coordinator. After all of this, I was informed they are not going to refund the additional $480.00. Their willingness to refund half of what is owed to me implies they recognize that they were guilty of poor business ethics. I personally know of others that have been deceived by CRUNCH FITNESS in the same manner as I have been. After researching I’ve found online what seemed to be a never ending list of complaints of the deceitful and shady business practices of CRUNCH FITNESS stealing money from members.

Renata Vucicevic
July 16th, 2019 DETAILS

ONE HUGE SCAM! NO REGARD FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE AND SATISFACTION! I have paid my contractual yearly obligation to the club and ensured that my calendar reminder was set to call them to cancel. I was advised that the year is up and my contract is over - I WASN'T GIVEN ANY ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS. Two months went by and I noticed additional monthly charges, upon calling them I was advises that they have no record of my cancellation and I couldn't have done it over the phone, but needed to come in personally ( I just imagined this conversation I guess.....) I contacted their manager who then told me that contract is over (this time somehow I didn't have to go in personally....) I noticed that not only was I charged for the two extra months, but also for the renewal club fees (which I already advised them my daughter will no longer use back in May). SCAM! DO NOT SIGN ANY CONTRACTS WITH THEM AND FOR SURE DON'T LET YOUR KIDS SIGN UP. My son was with Goodlife and we had none of these issues.

KIM A WEIGHOUS
July 12th, 2019 Fort Smith, AR DETAILS

Gym itself is fine - But extra charges are constantly coming out of your bank account. During the two months I was a member, I had over $50 in charges in addition to my $10 a month membership fee. Also, when I moved to a different town with no Crunch Fitness, I politely called and told them I had moved and they responded by saying I needed to put that in writing and charged me another $58, which I refuse to pay. Now an "attorney's office" calls me daily demanding I pay up. Stay away, they are crooks.

Rodney Blevins
July 10th, 2019 Roanoke, VA DETAILS

Lied about the early termination fee and also would not refund 20 sessions unused with a trainer after I had to unexpectedly move to a location with no crunch fitness. They wouldn't even let me change the tier to a lower one and lay off the contract. So they got 1200$ from me for 10 visits to the gym . Very poor way to make money from people . Should be called Crunch Bank.

Jason
June 27th, 2019 Draper, UT DETAILS

I like Crunch for working out because I feel like I’ve always been motivated to go there and have gotten a good workout.

CommandTx
June 14th, 2019 Round Rock, TX DETAILS

Please be very aware that this company lies about their fees and then BS's about getting it returned to you. We showed up in early spring due to a card that was given to my son to sign up with out starting fees. They tried to charge us those fees that day ... claiming that the card my son has was from from before they opened. They eventually honored the card. I explained to the gentleman at the time that my son would be going to school in San Marcos (Texas State) this summer. We would only need this account for a short while. I explained that I did not want any other fees. If there were, to please let us know before so we could close our account. In May, I got a notice from my bank that I was being charged $43.25 instead of the normal $10.77. When I called Crunch, I was told that this was for the annual membership. I explained that I did not want the Annual membership. Please close my account. I talked multiple times with the manager of the place that would not agree to refund the membership fee until he spoke with the owners. On top of that, they charged us another $10.77 for the next month, but would not let my son use the facility because we wanted our money back on the Annual membership fee. I even went by their location and signed a sheet to request that the account be shut down and to refund the money. In the end, Crunch kept all of the money and didn't allow my son the usage of the facility for the last month. The manager also told me that he would get back with owners. Have no fear! He will get back with me! Be patient and they are busy. Pretty amazing what a company will do to steal a lousy $54.02.

Gregory Powell
June 13th, 2019 Pittsburgh, PA DETAILS

This being my first experience with a gym membership. They told me $9.95, with a 30 cent sign up fee. While in the 3rd month they were going to charge me an annual fee of $40. My upon sign up, I was charged $16 and some change, which I thought was taxes and didn't pay any attention. Only to realize, they prorated a month to month annual fee and were still going to charge me the $40 dollar annual....even if I cancel at the end of my original 3 month contract, so in essence I'm ei.g charge an additional annual fee even though I would be canceling in more than enough time. So your charged monthly for your annual fee until they can take it out in another lump sum incase you cancel. Very sneaky practices. When given the number number to corporate, it's an automated machine that ask you questions about your residence and asks you to have your credit card up to sign up for additional offers, but NEVER gives you the option to reach someone. It'll say you've pressed an incorrect key. Please press 8 to continue with the offer or hang up. Very aloof & deceitful! Their personal trainers prices are outrageous! When you pay the $10 for 1 hour consultation, they'll talk to you over 30 an hour. Take you to do one exercise, then spend another 20 minutes trying to convince you to purchase their over priced services. If your a beginner, your going to need a workout buddy or trainer to make sure your not wasting your time. YouTube will only get you so far, but can't help you when you need a spotter. I would suggest your local YMCA first.

Jacob Shaner
June 3rd, 2019

I’ve used the pool at their facility. It was alright. Not the nicest place I’ve been, but not bad.

Thelma Willett
May 29th, 2019 Louisville, KY DETAILS

Crunch is a great gym. All the staff are friendly and they teach you how to use the equipment. All the exercise machines are top of the line. They offer different classes from cardio to Pilates and yoga.

Mark S Boise
May 29th, 2019 Garden City, ID DETAILS

Dont get hooked up with this bunch of losers & cheaters! This California company is known to cheat members out of monthly dues illegally after their memberships are canceled. Some people never receive there money back! This is the 2nd month after cancellation I have been debited the $25.00 monthly fee! Liers, cheaters & loosers!, Dont get swindled by this organization.!

Shaunte Anderson
May 14th, 2019 DETAILS

Great its worth the money. Good workout. I love it. Well worth the money

May 14th, 2019 DETAILS

Fantastic. Good equipment and classes. I found the personal trainers, however, to be a waste of my time. are tops.

Giti Hashemi
May 10th, 2019 Redmond, WA DETAILS

One of the worst gyms ever in the U.S. They charge their annual fee even after you cancel your membership because of the foot injury. This sports facility cares mostly about their profit than your well being. And I don't know how they get access to your new credit card to charge you. Yes, this happened to me I don't know how they get your private info like your totally new card without your consent!!!! . I don't recommend this facility to anyone.

John
May 2nd, 2019

They mislead you into signing contracts. They verbally tell you that you can quit but you can't. They have the highest hidden fees of any gym. This can be verified with a simple search on Google. Stay away and never sign anything. This entire company is a scam.

Debbie Culleton
May 2nd, 2019 Sudbury, MA DETAILS

They pretend to cancel you and don't. I have a Military issued Visa card they took in Hudson MA at Crunch Fitness. My credit card holder is going after them. I went there only because I was told to tell them in person. I took photo plus conversation I received and they looked back when I cancelled and admitted I cancelled and I have this conversation taped. This location is known for not cancelling members. They chill for a while and start again cause they can't keep members. I also reported them to 2 agencies. Never a call back or apology. Out of my hands now...let credit card company and better business bureau slove it. Guys watch your monthly bills if you join this place. Most fraduldnt gym I ever came into contact with. Debbie Culleton member at Hudson MA Crunch Fitness

brian chorny
April 5th, 2019 Bound Brook, NJ DETAILS

trying to cancel my member ship because of a move this is not an easy step with crunch i am out of the country 4 month per year and have now been asked to come in for a manager to approve my cancellation. lol beside to bring the proof of address change that is 15 miles away or further -- Explaining that I am out of the country does not seam to suffice when they can see i have attended the gym 3 times in 6 month while paying each month do i need to email my closing statement ? lol RIDICULES AT BEST WOULD BE MY BEST DESCRIPTION A service center of any type should be a lot more customer friendly than this. I would not recommend it.

cathy
March 29th, 2019 Glen Allen, VA DETAILS

I attend Glenside Crunch in Richmond asa silver sneaker but I pay for personal training . My personal trainer Steve is a great trainer, Steve knows what I need and he delivers that service. Steve is knowledgeable about the equipment and exercises. He always gives me a good, strong workout. I highly recommend Steve any new client.

Jamie
March 28th, 2019 Citrus Heights, CA DETAILS

Citrus Heights, CA: I joined last month and had my free personal training session. I loved it so I signed up for three months. A week and a half in, my trainer left. It's been three weeks now and I still haven't had another session but they charged me for my next month, of course! I've been asking for a session regularly over the last three weeks and I've been told there's no one available. Today, I was supposed to have a session and my new trainer got sick. I get it, it happens. So I talked to the "manager" and she scheduled me next week. I was asking her questions while she was getting me scheduled and she basically told me that most other customers were contacted and paired with new trainers because they were on the schedule for the trainers that left. Not only was I on the schedule with my trainer, no one even bothered to call me when the only two sessions I've had this month were cancelled. I got a copy of the contract and it states I can't get a refund for a trainer leaving so basically I'm screwed. They offered a half hearted apology but no real rectification for the whole ordeal. Once my sessions are done, I'm cancelling my contract and finding a new gym. I'd do it now but I've already spent more money than I want to for services I haven't received.

Matt J
February 14th, 2019 Nampa, ID DETAILS

The pools seem to be always out of order, both at the Caldwell and Nampa Loc

Viktoria
February 14th, 2019 New York, NY DETAILS

Very disappointed by the way they sign people up and Keith R personally. I walked into 59 street location on Jan 28, Sunday. Keith R gave me the details about memberships. I was interested in a month-by-month plan. That day I've been told that the first charge will include last month, enrolment fee, some other fees and "first month will cost me $10 only". Next day I came back and clarified what will be included in the first charge. Keith gave me the same information: the first charge will include last month, enrolment fee, some other fees and "first month will cost me $10 only". Total charge $144.91 came thru on Jan 29. On Feb 2 my card was charged an additional $66.50 for the first month!! I emailed to Keith asking why I was charged for the first month if I've been told very clearly that my first month will be $10 only! He said he meant the rest of the month will be $10. First of all, I've been told TWO times, that my FIRST MONTH will be $10 only. Second, the rest of what month? I signed up on Jan 29! Third, in the charge breakdown he sent me upon my request, there was not even a $10 line or any first-month fee mentions. I feel bad giving 1 star to the entire gym because I do think guys on the front desk, trainers and other personnel doing a great job. But I do think giving misleading information to the customers to sign them up is very dishonest and very unfair.

Jonathan Bishop
February 1st, 2019 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS

I was offered a trial for $1.00 outside a local strip mall on January 19th. The salesperson told me it was a trial and I could cancel. He had me pay a buck and sign his tablet. I got an email with a long contract with all sorts of scheduled charges and fees listed, so I emailed the contact listed on January 23rd. I stated that I was not aware of these monthly fees or yearly membership fees I was going to be charged and "I feel I was misinformed and do not wish to continue with this contract" and I wanted to cancel "without any further charges". The COO responded January 24th by telling me, "Sorry for the misunderstanding. You are not in a contract." This led me to believe I wasn't going to be charged and that it was handled. Today, February 1st, I was billed $29.95 anyways. I called the COO from the number he provided in his email and he, again, said I wasn't in a contract. After explaining that a contract for a membership is a contract and him being stubborn about it, I told him I would just have to dispute the transaction with the bank. He stated he would just show them the contract I signed. I gave him ample time to cancel what was advertised to me as a trial membership to avoid paying for a service I didn't end up wanting and he told me it wasn't like that. He did nothing. I tried to explain to him I would be posting these reviews but he just interrupted me and said, "you know what, man?" and hung up on me. That's the Chief Operating Officer Jonathan L for you, everybody.

Chris Richardson
January 10th, 2019 Charlton, MA DETAILS

We joined last spring my college kid and I for the summer on what we were told was as month to month membership. We went twice. We wanted to quit but we're told we'd have to pay for the rest of the year. There were three of us there joining that day... Other person on her own account. We all asked and made sure we were not signing into long term agreement. When we tried to quit we were told otherwise. Once college kid went back to school out of country she was released.... But I was not. I stopped making payments or three CC was stopped being charged and I just got a debt collector call wanting hundreds of dollars now for those membership I've never used. I contacted management many times but they said they could nothing for me.

Matthew Carbaugh
December 13th, 2018 Herndon, VA DETAILS

The staff at the Crunch in Reston Town Center have always been very friendly and welcoming. The gym equipment is exceptionally well cleaned compared to other gyms and members are real good about wiping down equipment.

Patrick Granados
December 7th, 2018 Fontana, CA DETAILS

Since October 1st i have been being charged 24.95 and 25.00 dollars MULTIPLE TIMES on top of my regular membership resulting in my checkings account being over drawn being a high school grad whos just starting out this kind of stuff is a terrible business practice my bank account has been flagged by my bank and i have tried talking to Crunchs Corporate they sent me straight yo my Gym amd they are pretending they have no idea whats going on i just want my money back totaling 174 dollars

T MCCARTHY
December 7th, 2018 Buffalo, NY DETAILS

Local Crunch location closed their doors with no warning. Company is impossible to reach. No contact info on their website. They continue to charge $8.50 my credit card even after the location closed. DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH THEM.

edward reese
December 6th, 2018 Hyattsville, MD DETAILS

The gym in dc was clean had great equipment but was on the smaller side. the classes were some of the most innovative i had seen in any gym and they had a lot of challenging equipment i have never seen anywhere else. the pricing didnt seem competitive with other gyms but the amenities they provided were some of the best out there.

Kristie Sgambati
November 30th, 2018 Rocklin, CA DETAILS

Crunch is the best value for your dollar by far! No nonsense, easy access, plenty of machines, and helpful staff. Our favorite gym!

Anthony Sgambati
November 30th, 2018 Rocklin, CA DETAILS

Lots of equipment, convenient hours, several locations to choose from, and clean facilities, what more could you want from Crunch?

Daniela
November 15th, 2018 La Verne, CA DETAILS

I bought 3 months for crunch La Verne and they gave me 3 month for crunch riverside WRONG. I tried to get my money back and they didn’t do the redound for almost a year. They sent me a check with the amount, when I deposit it, it was returned and I still had to pay the return fee 😱I’m still waiting for an answer.... 😱😱😱😱

Leo Ma
October 26th, 2018 North Chelmsford, MA DETAILS

Terrible place, lousy service, hidden fees, you can get a membership over the phone, but have to cancel in person, they auto renew even if it expires and make it very difficult to cancel and try to charge you months after you cancel.

Pat
October 12th, 2018 North Brunswick, NJ DETAILS

The North Brunswick Crunch makes it very difficult to cancel. In one breath they say that ANYBODY can send a letter certified to cancel the membership. They don't really know who's mailing it. In the next they say you can only hand deliver the cancellation IN PERSON ONLY when the manager is in. I had a membership for myself AND I signed and paid for a contract for my daughter--she never signed a thing. They MADE me inconvenience her to cancel the membership. Very unfriendly environment. Manager extremely rude.

Mary Thomas
September 19th, 2018 Philadelphia, PA DETAILS

Delran NJ - Membership was transferred without my permission or agreement & they deducted money from my account without my consent! Scamming at its best! Do not join this gym! Still haven't resolved cancelling my membership when I never agreed to be a member in the first place! Says they don't accept cancellation emails but I bet they accepted the email with all my information on it from the other gym that gave them my info without my permission! Zero stars! Why didnt the transferring gym ask for my permission to give my information to this gym? How can a gym charge me without my consent? How is this practice legal?

Karin
September 14th, 2018 Washington Township, NJ DETAILS

Negative, problems with billing, incorrect billing, overcharged repeatedly, fraud with training sessions

Virginia
August 8th, 2018 Diamond Bar, CA DETAILS

I am so upset with crunch !! The trainer at Diamond bar crunch , stretched me for an hour and hurt my neck. I tried calling them to get my 250.00 back that I payed for the trainer but they refused. They are money hungry jerks!!!!!

Kamil Biegala
May 8th, 2018 DETAILS

Unethical. Read the terms and conditions. Don't recommend this gym to anyone cancelling a month by month no contract* "membership" is a nightmare. I would give the less if possible. Oh the staff oay more attention to their phones than they do you. One of the worst experiences I've had dealing with a business.

Vicki A Michaels
May 2nd, 2018 DETAILS

Loved all the classes and LOTS of equipment

Trevor Woller
April 30th, 2018 Beaverton, OR DETAILS

Crunch is the best value gym in the industry. They have no frills or extra fees and their employees are not pushy sales people. I love their option to pay for a buddy pass, so you can bring a buddy whenever you want to the gym.

Kasia
March 15th, 2018 DETAILS

I was a member for 5 months - overall experience wasn't bad - I had my favourite classess which I attended to. But I got pregnant and had to cancel membership. I paid 100 fee and it's been a second months now that Iam still charging a membership fee after cancellation!! The stuff isn't helpful at all- nothing can be arranged over the phone and I don't have a time to drive there back and forth... I will dispute that harges with my visa and will claim my money back.

Benjamin Vera
December 18th, 2017 DETAILS

Mississauga Ontario. Please read! I went with the VIP membership $20 a month, i wanted to cancel and they said you signed a contract for a year (was not informed, "fine print"). If i want to cancel early, i have to pay $100... there are two hidden fees within the year, was not advised either $22.50 ("fine print"). Went with the personal training, the guy seemed cool and all, all was going well until my employment hours were changed all of a sudden and could no longer make the classes, i was stuck on a year contract having to pay $215 a month. I revoked ach obviously, because im not even going to the classes, so hell no i am not going to pay. I called the bank to revoke all ach payments from crunch fitness from coming out of my account (personal training and membership) the next payment came out from ABC financial services on their behalf?! Come on... had to call ABC, the lady said we just started taking care of the payments for this company... before this i sent an email through the website (because they dont have an email, probably to avoid people) on Dec 6th, 2017 saying i revoke ach... blah blah blah and then they sent an email right back saying thank you we will contact you in 24 to 48 hours, i have yet to receive an email or phone call... (its Dec 15th, 2017). The gym equipment was okay, ripped cushions, missing pins (not a big deal) just saying... anyway didnt have the greatest experience and was there for 4 months.

Maryann gibson
September 18th, 2017

I think it's pretty bad when you charge an annual fee after your third month when you planned on canceling your membership but you still get charged when we joined the gym it was because we thought my husband could do it he had a major heart attack so we thought maybe working out would help him when we told his doctor that we joined a gym his doctor told him no do not do that not with your heart so my husband and I decided OK we will wait three months and then we will stop the gym well my third month was up now I see I am charged the annual fees on both of us which is ridiculous so you're getting a very bad review from me

Jim
August 23rd, 2017 Redwood City, CA

From day one everybody has been very helpful. The staff will answer any questions and not blow me off like other gyms have in the past. The staff is very knowledgeable the equipment stays very clean. If I have an issue the staff will handle it right away.

Crystal Cochell
April 27th, 2017

1.0 star rating 4/24/2017 Pool is highly chlorinated. Jacuzzi is too! So much so the interior is degrading to the point it is crumbling. My suit experienced rapid deterioration. I myself experienced a chlorine rash after using them daily for one hour over a period of a week. Other members expressed their concerns too in the dressing room after the pool classes. I went in person to speak with management about my concerns and asked they not deduct the next monthly premium until they addressed my concern. They said it was too late for that as it would be charged out that night. I requested management to call me. They did not. They had the same person I spoke to call me instead and tell me again the only option would be to freeze my account until they researched the chlorination issue. I agreed and asked they inform me of their findings. They did not. I emailed a cancellation through Crunchfitness.com and received an email saying I would be contacted shortly. They did not. I called Crunch for an update and was told they found no issues. I asked my membership be cancelled. I was told I would need to come in and sign paperwork when management was there. I did. However, management did not assist me. The same person who I spoke with intilally processed it. I was asked to sign the cancellation that showed I WOULD NOT BE REFUNDED for the April dues. I did not. I called Crunch Fitness corporate office only to learn this is a FRANCHISE and I would need to deal with them directly. They seem unconcerned this franchise is underperforming. I have since disputed the charges and closed the card account so no other charges will occur. This experience has been les

Mia Navarro
April 13th, 2017 New York, NY

I have been a member for only six months and have already been hit by two hidden fees: for maintenance and "membership". These are in addition to my monthly fee. The club has become unaffordable and I'm considering cancelling the membership altogether.

Sofi Nicolescu
March 27th, 2017

The instructors actually laughed at me for how bad I was doing the exercises and mocked me in front of the class. Headquarters is on letting me cancel my membership and they keep charging my card. HQ is also sarcastic and rude when responding.

L
February 7th, 2017 FL

Worst Customer service I have ever had at a gym. Just opened Crunch in south Tampa. Emplyoyees were rude and not accommodating. Would not recommend to anyone!!!!!

Michael Howard
January 16th, 2017 Northridge, CA

BEWARE: DON'T SIGN ANYTHING WITH THESE PEOPLE. THEY WILL STEAL YOUR MONEY! Yes, it seems they would rather steal $10 from you rather than earn $100. I was a member of Crunch Northridge since 2013, got a trainer and was very happy until I became medically unable to workout. I notified my trainer (in person) immediately after my last training session that I needed to suspend both my membership and training, until my doctor allowed my return (which is allowed under the terms of the contract). At that point they were barred from further charging my credit card, both because I only signed a 3-month contract, and because it's terms allowed for medical suspension with no charges. However, they continued to charge my credit card, for both my membership and training, for 8 additional months while I was too ill to notice. Once I realized what they were doing I went in to complain about the "mistake." However, Star Eisenberg, GM, told me that they would not refund my money. I then disputed the charges with my credit card company and Ms. Eisenberg told responded with the BALD-FACED LIE that I had been attending the Gym for the entire 8 months. Members must sign in electronically, therefore they can't have a record of my attendance since I never checked in after January 2016. It shows the level of their dishonesty that they would tell a lie that is so easily checked. They are not only dishonest, but terrible business people, as I also wrote a very nice letter to Keith Worts, their CEO but was ignored. As a result they stupidly turned a loyal customer into a disgruntled adversary. Shame on Star Eisenberg, Mr. Worts, and their company. The above is my opinion based upon my experience with the General Mgr. and employees of this company.

Amy Velazquez
November 15th, 2016

National city (Bonita) location horrible customer service. I literally felt harassed by the fitness coordinator Eileen. She micro manages the program and adjust the gym policy based on her own feelings that day. I have had service for 1 &1/2 years and have canceled. You should never feel harassed at a gym especially when you are doing something to fix your own health! Talk to manager and really do anything. In my last 2 week at this gym I was literally harassed by this woman 3 different times and I honestly think it was race based! I would NEVER recommend this location! I rather pay a little more and go to 24 hour fitness! If you choose to join please take a tour and consider a different location especially if you're a Hispanic woman planning on attending classes!

Carri Robinson
October 21st, 2016 San Marcos, CA

Customer Service is horrible, I truly believe only 1/3 of the employees know what they are doing. Cancellation was a nightmare. I went into the gym to cancel my membership. Filled out there paperwork, was not given a copy. Two months later I am still being charged. I contacted billing and I was told that my membership was showing canceled but that I hadn't paid for September or this month. When I told her that I hadn't paid September because my membership was canceled she informed me I would have to go to the gym and sort it out there. Ridiculous waste of my time. Worst gym. Machins always break, employees are rude, there is no regulations, and billing is a nightmare

Becky
May 28th, 2016 Pompano Beach, FL

I was so excited when I started this gym it does feel like a party atmosphere thats what I liked about it pumped Music and hyped up people. Many classes and time slots available and were fun and motivated. Customer service was friendly, inviting, and great! Only bad thing is the pricing it was just too expensive especially because the location by Times Square for the $90 a month they should give you a personal trainer and access to a pool as well. So, after 2 months I cancelled and didn't have a problem they even offered to transfer to a friend or family member and they won't charge a start-up fee.