Crunch Logo

5.9

LAST UPDATED: November 4th, 2021

Crunch health club was started in 1989 in a basement aerobics studio in the East Village of New York City. The company shares that this location in its inception had no locker rooms or air conditioning, in addition to being burglarized regularly. From the beginning Crunch’s mission was to make exercise and the total gym experience fun. To accomplish this, the founders eliminated traditional ideas of what were considered serious workouts at the time by collaborating with a highly creative group of fitness instructors with a wide range of expertise. The result was the development of challenging fitness classes and programs with a completely fresh slant. More than two decades later, Crunch still believes in making serious exercise fun by fusing fitness and entertainment and holding true to its “No Judgements” philosophy. Crunch is headquartered in New York City, co-owned by New Evolution Ventures (NeV) and private-equity firm Angelo Gordon. It currently serves over 400,000 members with both corporate-owned and franchised locations (Crunch Essential) in cities throughout the U.S. and in Australia. Crunch continues to expand across the U.S. and around the globe. It also has a franchise program for those wanting to own and operate a local Crunch location of their own.

Planet Fitness Logo
3.6
Gold's Gym Logo
#3 Gold's Gym chevron_right
3.2

The Good

• Equipment
  • Cleanliness
  • Classes
  • Other available amenities

Equipment

When it comes to equipment, regular members feel Crunch has all the necessities to build and shape an awesome physique. Each Crunch Gym boasts the best strength training and cardio equipment in the industry. Whether members are looking to do bicep curls with free weights, or use various cardio machines, you can find these at Crunch. All strength training equipment and cardio stations are adequately spaced from one another, so there is plenty of room to do what you need. All weights remain racked so members don't have to go fishing around for dumbbells. Crunch also has a boxing area, big bag, and jungle gym.

Cleanliness

Many of their gyms have positive reviews about how clean their facilities are. Gym cleanliness appears to be consistently important across most of Crunch's fitness locations. Everything (floor, plates, dumbbells) is coated in rubber, so which prevents both damage to the facilities and equipment, as well as unnecessary noise. According to customer feedback, "the gym is very clean, (and) upscale," while the restrooms, locker rooms, showers, and sauna are all considered "spa-quality." These facilities also feature complimentary high-end toiletries, large shower cabins, and high-end shower heads. The gym and locker rooms are well-kept by staff and clean. Crunch provides body wash, shampoo, and conditioner in each stall. Towels are available at the front desk. There are also basic hygiene products like mouthwash, cotton balls, and hair dryers in the wash area next to the sauna room. One unique feature is Crunch's large and very clean toilet cabins where you can change clothes in privacy. Very few gyms we reviewed have this option, which is a plus for those who prefer not to be naked in front of other gym members.

Classes

Crunch is known for its unique classes and fun atmosphere. The variety of classes and experienced instructors/personal trainers has consistently been one of Crunch's biggest selling points for the past 25 years. Many reviewers say that going into a Crunch gym can often feel like you've walked into a club or party. There is always upbeat music playing throughout the gym. Offerings like Hip-Hop Aerobics, Co-Ed Action Wrestling, Zumba, and Cyked Yoga Cycling are offered along with many others. Each instructor is well versed in their respective courses. Consumers may also search classes by their favorite instructor online to find dates and times of each class.

One of the best parts about the classes offered at a fitness center or gym is the chance to participate in exercise as with a group. Group exercise provides opportunities for those in attendance to feed off of one another in order to best push themselves to meet their fitness goals. Fitness clubs and health clubs like the Crunch franchise that offer this group exercise option are definitely ones to be looking at as you look for somewhere to take your fitness to a new level.

Other Available Amenities

Other available amenities include a full-service locker room, towel service, a touch screen menu for group fitness classes, designated stretching tables, filtered water for your hydration, and so much more. We found these to be unique among most of the fitness centers we reviewed. We also noticed that Crunch has a pool and basketball court. Crunch offers personal trainers at all locations for those seeking personal fitness assistance. These trainers are certified and use a wide array of personal training tools such as battle ropes, kettlebells, TRX Suspension Straps, Bulgarian Bags, and MMA equipment to name a few. These functional training tools allow our trainers to provide an array of High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) workouts.

The Bad

• Price and contracts
  • Upfront fees
  • Hidden fees

Price and Contracts

Crunch offers month-to-month contracts, which are great for people who are unsure about how long they will be committed to a fitness routine. Some locations offer a $9.95 month-to-month membership with no contract, although this deal is only available to users in certain areas. There is not a consistent membership rate among any of the locations. This can become very confusing and irritating if you're enrolling in a membership online and you see that a location in New York is $99 a month, while another location in Oregon is $9.95 a month. Varying processing fees and pro-rated annual fees are also a major turn off for people who might have otherwise wanted to purchase a gym membership; however, unlike several gyms whose prices are impossible to find, Crunch's fees are available for all to see online. Along with these inconsistencies, Crunch has certain locations-particularly in New York and New Jersey-where locations are very pricey for what you're getting. Many reviews and complaints are about high-end gym pricing, for a lower- to middle- class gym. One reviewer stated that she could pay $99 a month to workout at Crunch, or she could pay $140 a month to workout at The Sports Club/LA and have a country club type experience each time she went to the gym. Many reviewers also state that they have had issues canceling their month-to-month non-contract memberships with Crunch. That there are many loopholes, and stipulations to complete the process. On a good note, students can get a special rate. If you are looking to cancel your membership, it would be advantageous to do some research beforehand to ensure that you are treated fairly and that things are taken care of in a timely fashion.

Upfront Fees

Crunch is known for being very inconsistent with their initiation fees, hidden dues, and monthly rates. Typical enrollment fees are $239.98, which are extremely pricey for chain gyms. We found the industry average to range between $100 and $150.

Hidden Fees

The initial membership pricing is very seductive to those wanting an affordable gym membership. Let's take a look at sign up for a Los Angeles Crunch membership: Fees Due Today: Enrollment Fee: $0.00 This Month: $7.10 Last Month's Dues: $109.99 Processing Fee: $49.99 Pro-Rated Annual Fee: $6.66 Out of most gyms we reviewed, Crunch had the highest quantity of and most expensive hidden fees. This makes being a member-which appears to be cost-effective at first-to be an expensive proposition.

Trainers and Nutrition

In terms of pricing, you have to submit an email form before Crunch will tell you how much its personal training sessions cost. We found this inferior to some gyms that offer an upfront pricing chart for customers with pricing rates. Also, Crunch offers a nutritional plan with their own line of products, but customers have complained after feeling high sales pressure from gym employees to purchase the gym's protein shakes and products. We did not find any customer reviews that disclosed the personal trainer pricing, except to allude to it being expensive for them. The only complaint we found with regard to the classes themselves was that at certain locations, the fitness instructors show favoritism, paying attention to and correcting the forms of their favorite students only. For group classes, there have been times where it's so crowded that there are not enough supplies. And while Crunch's mobile app lets you reserve a class spot for the next class, in some instances, people have come to class only to find someone else in their seat/machine/bike, etc.

Inconsistent Facilities

In 2010 Crunch took over several former Gold's Gyms. Many reviewers have stated that in renovating the gyms, Crunch cut several corners, leaving many things unfinished in the gyms, giving the gyms a messy, inconsistent feel.

The Bottom Line

Crunch is known in the fitness industry for its unique classes and fun atmosphere. The variety of classes and experienced instructors has consistently been one of the gym's biggest selling points as a local gym for the past 25 years. Crunch has a wide variety of great classes taught by skilled and experienced instructors, good clean equipment, and a fun environment. Overall, Crunch is a gym that will do the job for some people, but would be a terrible fit for others. Inconsistencies with pricing and quality of facilities are evident in online reviews by customers. This is especially problematic because, while Crunch has its pricing available for all of its gym locations online, one person paying a rate of $9.95 a month, while another pays a $99 rate doesn't sit well for the person paying 10-times as much for the same services. There is not set franchise fee for each of the membership options. If Crunch could come up with a more consistent pay scale and eliminate its very high processing and enrollment fees, it would certainly be a contender on the list of great, affordable gyms. But at the end of the day most people are ruled by their wallets, and the majority of Crunch's price ranges don't fit the average gym user's budget. Many reviewers also state that they have had issues canceling their month-to-month non-contract memberships with Crunch.

2.6

Sabrina Adams Naples, FL

Randomly started getting charged almost a year later, after I was told that the membership would be permanently frozen and then cancelled (apparently this wasn’t the case, even though I was previously told, verbatim). I haven’t attended this gym in almost a year, and they started charging me again this September without talking to me, but it’s “in the agreement” so apparently it’s okay. I never write negative reviews about a business, especially since times are tough right now, and I definitely wouldn’t have written this just due to the charges. However, I worked in customer service for many years, and would never speak to someone the way the manager spoke to me, no matter the situation! He was beyond rude. Go to Esporta or LA Fitness! I’ve had a much better experience there :)

KimDugan Kailua, HI

I am usually rather skeptical of fitness clubs, as I usually assume that they are a giant rip-off or will trap me in some sort of weird, inescapable payment plan. While I have not been a long-term member, I have used my brother's allotted buddy passes and it has always been a good experience. They have a lot of amenities, with most locations offering a sauna, steam room and massage chairs in addition to a wealth of workout equipment. Positive attitudes are encouraged here, which makes the environment a less intimidating one. (Some gyms have a more ironclad vibe, which is good for serious trainers, but a little more intimidating to beginner/intermediate attendees.) I would say that if Planet Fitness is a beginner gym, Crunch is the bridge that crosses from beginner all the way to advanced. Most locations offer physical trainers and bodyscanners that can gauge your fat-muscle ratio, if you are interested. You can basically be as into-the-weeds as you want, or just jump straight into your workouts. I visited one of the Boise, Idaho locations and I loved it! If the location offers a trial, definitely try it out!

Sheri Sagall Eustis, FL

They nickel and dime you for everything. You want to downgrade? That’s a $20 fee. You want to cancel your membership? You have to WALK IN 30 days before you want to end your membership, otherwise you have to pay for another month. When I had called, to cancel they said I had to go in person, but not thirty days before ending.

Shelly Davis Branch Township, MI

RUN. I will spare all the details, and I'm guessing not all of the sites were as bad as the one I experienced and continue to experience. Sarasota, FL. They are still charging me a monthly fee even though I've got an official cancellation letter from them. Long story, but go to Yelp and read the reviews there too. I had to put a stop at my bank and file a claim with the Better Business Bureau. I'm still working on it all. My son was diagnosed with leukemia and I was not able to cancel in person, (living in the hospital for 6 months in a different state), but I called right away and then they ran me around, said it was handled. Charged again. and again. Then they ran me around more. Said I had to go to the post office and write a handwritten letter and do this and do that and send it return receipt, yada. I did it all, and thankfully kept records. Yet, charged again, and again. I even have an official letter from them, that I demanded someone finally send me, and...you guessed it! STILL being charged.

Kyle Balough San Francisco, CA

They were closed for the pandemic obviously. I haven't been for over a year. They sent me into collections for my membership. Didn't even follow their own policy of cancelling memberships for non-payment. Rather will try to damage their loyal customer's credit for $350 after I've paid $4,000 over the last years as a member. I would not recommend Crunch as a brand now due to this experience. I'm sure they will eventually get their $350 from me for the months I didn't go, but they will have lost a LONG time customer. Their corporate policies about collections will be their downfall. $350 for stepping in their facility once in the last year. Ridiculous!

Tee’Anna Weston Tallahassee, FL

Crunch was a comforting gym and it has various machines which was nice.

RB Lancaster, CA

Currently a member. Has good classes and equipment. Can get crowded, but staff tries to control it. Good staff. Good customer service.

Karen Sparks Anaheim, CA

********* Crunch Garden Grove, CA -NEEDS NEW MANAGEMENT *************** If you consider joining this gym, just get the basic membership. The evening Hiit classes listed on their website are always cancelled (without notice) while the current coaches that are certified to teach stand around talking. The gym owner should evaluate the drop of check ins. Mon, Wednesday and Friday curriculum are not meeting consumer fitness needs. The coaches are great with an explosive intense program however the members are not happy with it. It has been brought to their attention yet still no change. Maybe they can communicate with the evening Tuesday and Wednesday coach for suggestions, improvements. There has been incidents where 1 to 2 members will show up for a class and no coach in sight to teach due to the small amount of members checked in. In observance, the current staff in the training area at Crunch Garden Grove, CA are definitely not customer nor team oriented. It takes one rotten apple to spoil the rest. I feel the newer current management team lack leadership skills and common sense with managing current staff. They do no consider member complaints nor suggestions on improvement. The vibe and energy has changed drastically. Eventually all members will be downgrading their membership to the basic or cancelling. On a positive note, the reception do a great job. They greet people, they have vibrant energy. They've done an outstanding job throughout the pandemic handling capacity and maintaining the gym clean.

Zac Cannon Long Beach, MS

This is where I have my current gym membership. I joined at the local Crunch in Long Beach, MS. Lots of great equipment and features. My wife is on the 2nd tier membership and we got to try the HydraMassage chairs and they are great!

cathy Glen Allen, VA

I attend Glenside Crunch in Richmond asa silver sneaker but I pay for personal training . My personal trainer Steve is a great trainer, Steve knows what I need and he delivers that service. Steve is knowledgeable about the equipment and exercises. He always gives me a good, strong workout. I highly recommend Steve any new client.

Jim Redwood City, CA

From day one everybody has been very helpful. The staff will answer any questions and not blow me off like other gyms have in the past. The staff is very knowledgeable the equipment stays very clean. If I have an issue the staff will handle it right away.

Becky Pompano Beach, FL

I was so excited when I started this gym it does feel like a party atmosphere thats what I liked about it pumped Music and hyped up people. Many classes and time slots available and were fun and motivated. Customer service was friendly, inviting, and great! Only bad thing is the pricing it was just too expensive especially because the location by Times Square for the $90 a month they should give you a personal trainer and access to a pool as well. So, after 2 months I cancelled and didn't have a problem they even offered to transfer to a friend or family member and they won't charge a start-up fee.

Ryan Kennedy Tampa, FL

I can't stand crunch. When, i started my membership, everything was fine. My bill was being paid through my card, but one day I looked into my account to find out that an additional charge was made on my account of $94 and some odd cents. I called the Crunch Fitness of South Dale Mabry in Tampa to get a hold of the general manager. That took three days of calls because he wasn't in or he was in a meeting. When I got a hold of him, I told hime about the charge and he said that I was I wasting his time. I've never been so angry. A few days later another charge for the month showed up on my a account got declined, causing me to get my card replaced. I never went in to change the info, since then they've been calling me back. At this point if it goes into collections, i say it's worth it to show them how I felt.

Sherri Tampa, FL

This place is crowded and unsanitary your asked to bring your own towel to wipe down equipment. Please make sure you get a copy of your paperwork when you sign up so that your not turned into credit reporting agencies for not paying your bill. I was originally signed up for a premium membership and downgraded to a $10 dollar membership after covid and by the way you must go in person to the facility to downgrade . I had credit card on file I was charged 2 months at the 10$ rate then they stopped charging my card and changed the rate back to previous rate . I explained that my membership was downgraded to the $10 membership and they acknowledged assuring me they would take care of it with corporate. I agreed I would pay whatever was owed per new membership. Nothing was resolved except having a no pay on my credit report.

Tõmas Edison Somerset, NJ

This gym deliberately lies to there customers. before Covid began we attempted to cancel our membership. Since there were no managers they said the best they could do was freeze the account, What they don't tell you is that when you freeze your account they only hold it for 3 months after they that they will continue to charge your account. then while Covid was happening there building was closed and no one was answering the phones. Now after all this time has passed we receive a bill for over $300. We literally only went to this stupid gym twice when we first opened the account. I really do hope that this business gets shut down due to fraudulent activity and lying directly to there customers

Annie Chow Tallahassee, FL

I love this gym. It feels like I'm the main character in a blockbuster movie filming at a futuristic gym. And they have three floors and include so much for such a good price.

Gina Wellford Roanoke, VA

I would not recommend Crunch Fitness. I got on a stairmaster this summer (2019) at Crunch Fitness (in Roanoke VA), as soon as the machine started, the stairs (or belt that propels the stairs) broke, and I plummeted down on the stairmaster steps about 3 or 4 feet, while holding the railings as I plummeted down, ripping something in my arms, shoulders. Long story short, I am now recovering from shoulder surgery (torn Labrum and torn rotator cuff) from their machine breaking when I got on it. It has cost me 4 to 6 weeks off of work and at least $5,000 to $6,000 in medical bills so far. Not to mention I will not regain full use of my shoulder for 5 to 6 months. I think they are very nice folks at Crunch, but I am paying a a VERY high price for them having a machine that was either broken when I got on it, or broke as soon as it started. I will never get on a Stairmaster again.

JW Brookline, MA

I went in to the gym to cancel my membership. They had me fill out a form on their iPad and said it is done and we will not need be charged further. One month later we were charged. After multiple phone calls we still can not get them to refund the month's fee that they charged after the cancellation. I asked to speak to the manager and he said that without written proof there was nothing he could do. There was no written proof (my guess is that the woman behind the desk never hit submit - but who knows). I asked to speak with the manager's boss and he said they are not allowed to do that. In summary, they made a mistake, they can clearly see by the swipes that I did not use the service after we canceled and they still won't refund the money. I told them that this was not good customer service and the manager said this is how they were trained. They are not supposed to refund the money without written proof (that they did not provide) AND they are not allowed to let you speak with anyone higher up than this manager.

Thelma Willett Louisville, KY

Crunch is a great gym. All the staff are friendly and they teach you how to use the equipment. All the exercise machines are top of the line. They offer different classes from cardio to Pilates and yoga.

edward reese Hyattsville, MD

The gym in dc was clean had great equipment but was on the smaller side. the classes were some of the most innovative i had seen in any gym and they had a lot of challenging equipment i have never seen anywhere else. the pricing didnt seem competitive with other gyms but the amenities they provided were some of the best out there.

Cody Sarasota, FL

Good gym. But Trainers are arrogant. Lie and not trustworthy to suck money out of your wallet. Avoid their training money trap at all costs

Juliann Mecham Managua, MN

Crunch is a really high quality gym. For me I really value fitness, and I have tried lots of gyms in different areas of the states. I feel that Crunch offers a lot of great equipment, and they want you to succeed on your health goals and better your body figure and your physical health.

Madison Kneiss Long Beach, MS

I am currently a new member here. The firm is always clean, the staff is always friendly and willing to help you with whatever your needs are. They are a little pricey in the supplements but other than that they are fantastic

Trevor Woller Beaverton, OR

Crunch is the best value gym in the industry. They have no frills or extra fees and their employees are not pushy sales people. I love their option to pay for a buddy pass, so you can bring a buddy whenever you want to the gym.

Diane Toronto, ON

I paid for the whole year of membership for downtown Toronto location. Covid happened and I tried getting partial refund. No communication even after my attempts at getting to someone regarding the refund. Company does lacks integrity. Would not deal with them again.

Sonia Agostino Brooklyn, NY

Horrible service. My experience with to cancel my membership during COVID has been nothing short of frustrating. The management at Greenpoint is rude and unprofessional. She just talks right over you. No customer service here. I am apparently not allowed to cancel my membership- Instead they would like for all of us members to risk our lives going to the gym during a pandemic as I guess they are desperate for money. Just gross if you ask me.

Hazel G. Los Angeles, CA

Crunch is the only unprofessional and uncaring corporation that I have ever dealt with especially during COVID. They charged my account for one month and then proceeded to charge for a yearly membership fee of $49.00 during non operating hours. I kindly asked for a refund, at least for the membership fee since I didn’t plan on renewing due to COVID (at least for the time being). Their answer was...it’s too late (less than a month) to cancel. Why would I renew if everything is closed as we speak? Horrible customer service. Crunch Fitness should learn from Tony H (CEO of Zappos) and Steve J (former CEO of Apple).

Kathy Bradenton, FL

Do not think about joining Crunch at University Parkway in Sarasota. I called twice and stopped in once to cancel my membership and all three times I was misinformed. The first time I called I was told I only needed 10 days prior to my membership deduction to not be charged for the next month. Then when I stopped in Heather at the front desk said no 30 days, so I cancelled then only to find out that they pushed my date back 40 days so they could charge me my annual dues and one more month. When I said I would cancel my credit card they said they would keep charging me and then a collections agency would come after me. So if you are thinking of Crunch---Don't it is not worth the runaround and the ripoff.

Katlyn Hockman Houston, TX

Crunch fitness is great for your local fitness needs. They have always been so helpful whenever I have any questions about how I should update my lifestyle.

Dan Bradley Philadelphia, PA

I have been a member of Crunch Fitness in Delran NJ since the location opened. In 2019 I visited the location a few times, maybe 5. In May of 2019, which was the last time that I had used the facility, I asked an associate at the front desk if I was able to cancel my membership without any fees or penalty, and she told me, yes. I was then told that due to a manager not being present at the moment she was unable to do this for me, but that I could write a hand written note with my cancellation request and contact information and it would be taken care of. The membership was never cancelled by Crunch so I made another attempt at this and was met with the exact same response by the front desk associate. She made it seem like it was no big deal, very apologetic that the manager never contacted me at my last attempt to cancel. I was again instructed to write a note requesting cancellation, and sign it and they would give it to the manager the next morning. I never received a reply from Crunch Delran, so I proceeded to contact ABC Financial via email on May 15, 2019 at 11:55AM stating that I would like my membership to be cancelled- effective immediately. In September of 2019 I was charged a $50 membership fee and immediately contacted my bank to stop all withdraws from Crunch Fitness. On September 16, 2019 I called Crunch Fitness and was told that a manager would call me back - I never received a reply. I proceeded to once again contact ABC Financial requesting that al contact and billing stop because I have made several membership cancellation request that have gone unanswered. I also sent Crunch Delran a Facebook Message containing all of my contact information, stating that I had made several attempts to cancel my membership, and I wish to cancel immediately. The message was read, but again, I never received a response. After all of this, I was under the assumption that my membership had finally been cancelled. I haven't used or stepped foot into the facility other than to cancel my membership since May 2019. I never received any communication from Crunch Delran giving me any reason to believe otherwise, or I would have still pursued the cancellation. This past weekend in January 2020, I received a debt collections notification courtesy of Crunch Fitness stating that I owe $113.05. At 10:40am I drove to Crunch Delran to try to make sense of the situation...once again, there was no manager present in the location to help me. There were two employees at the front desk who both witnessed my situation and assured me that Crunch Delran would immediately cancel my membership and the situation was unfair and would be rectified. I was once again, for the third time, told to write another note with my name and details stating that I would like to cancel. Monday January 13,2020 I received a call from Mark, the manager, at Crunch Delran who was actually extremely rude and unprofessional- and his words were, "I have been here since September and there is all new staff, I have no proof that you ever tried to cancel your membership, we sent your account to collections in December and there is nothing I can do to help you or cancel your membership." I spoke with the debt collections agency last night Monday January 13, 2020 and disputed the claim with Crunch Delran, because I have made numerous attempts in person, and through email, and Facebook Messenger, which have all been ignored. January 14, 2020 I once again email Crunch Fitness providing all of the details and screenshots of emails and messages of my cancellation attempts. I received a very unprofessional email response from the manager. (Below) ---- Hi Dan, How can I help you? After seeing these attachments, I think I have enough evidence to discuss with abc financial. yesterday you said you only left a letter here and it got lost. With all the new staff at the front desk, a letter was bound to get lost. And you didn't follow up after that until now. Now with me helping you, How can you help me? Your reviews affect my Front desks credibility and they have no fault in what happened to you. They are all new and have worked very hard to fix past mistakes and errors in the system. I see you own a company, so you should understand how bad reviews affect a company and its personnel. Let's come to an agreement that both parties can benefit. Please let me help you, thank you for reaching out. Mark R General Manager Crunch Fitness Delran 4004 Rt. 130 Delran, NJ 08075 ---- This email was then followed up with a phone call by Mark in the same unprofessional tone of "how can we resolve this and both benefit from the outcome." I'll end the story here, as it still has not been resolved. I have submitted numerous complaints to Crunch Corporate, and all review outlets that are presented to me. This type of business practice is absurd and unprofessional.

CommandTx Round Rock, TX

Please be very aware that this company lies about their fees and then BS's about getting it returned to you. We showed up in early spring due to a card that was given to my son to sign up with out starting fees. They tried to charge us those fees that day ... claiming that the card my son has was from from before they opened. They eventually honored the card. I explained to the gentleman at the time that my son would be going to school in San Marcos (Texas State) this summer. We would only need this account for a short while. I explained that I did not want any other fees. If there were, to please let us know before so we could close our account. In May, I got a notice from my bank that I was being charged $43.25 instead of the normal $10.77. When I called Crunch, I was told that this was for the annual membership. I explained that I did not want the Annual membership. Please close my account. I talked multiple times with the manager of the place that would not agree to refund the membership fee until he spoke with the owners. On top of that, they charged us another $10.77 for the next month, but would not let my son use the facility because we wanted our money back on the Annual membership fee. I even went by their location and signed a sheet to request that the account be shut down and to refund the money. In the end, Crunch kept all of the money and didn't allow my son the usage of the facility for the last month. The manager also told me that he would get back with owners. Have no fear! He will get back with me! Be patient and they are busy. Pretty amazing what a company will do to steal a lousy $54.02. This company eventually refunded all of my money.

Mike Spring Hill, FL

If you are looking to be judged by how you look then come to this place and ask to see Paul "the personal training manager". Paul likes to flex his title and not his customer service skills because if he CARED about the customer he would learn to ask questions and listen rather than judge on looks alone. My girlfriend has a membership here and I go with her a few times a month as her guest. Each time we go, depending on what she wants to work on that day, I may or may not be able to do certain exercises. This is because of a couple of current medical conditions that prevent me from doing core exercises that are harder in nature. Tonight we went and she wanted to focus on her core more aggressive and then we would go to the weight area. As she started i would count for her or help her as needed. I was able to do planks but nothing more like she was. That is where Paul, "the personal training manager" comes in and this is how it goes. Paul - i know shes your girlfriend and what your doing but it looks like your training her. You need to workout with her. Me - She is, and i was doing stuff with her. Paul - you did a couple things i been watching Me - right shes doing her core then we are going doing stairs to the weights Paul - right but it looks like you are training her and we cant have any of that from outside Me - so let us finish and you will see us down stairs Paul - what i saw before i dont want to see again or you gotta go. Do you understand why? Me - no i dont Paul - i dont need you getting defensive Me - its a business i get it Paul - " i'm the personal training manager" i dont want to see it again. Paul then proudly stands up tall and walked off. Now here is where Paul "the personal training manager" went wrong. 1. He judged based off what he saw. If he would have ASKED ME why I was not doing everything she was I would have explained it to him. 2. If he needed proof of my condition I would have been able to show him proof by raising the back of my shirt. 3. Paul stopped her from doing her workout, because he "didnt want to see what he saw before" she had to stop. Again Paul shows the customer he cares by forcing her to quit her routine. 4. Paul mentioned he was watching us and he JUDGED us based off what he saw that one time. What about going back to the previous days videos to see what we were doing on those days. Of course that would show how I am able to do more of other exercises just not all the core ones. Its really sad that with Paul "the personal training manager" I was already guilty by how I looked. At no point did he take 1 minute to ask me what was going on. He already made his judgement. Yes by the end of the talk I had with the dictator Paul "the personal training manager" I was defensive. I was being FALSELY ACCOUSED of something based off looks. I can tell that Paul likes his title because he was proud of what he KNEW he saw. So in closing if you want to be judged by your looks, falsely accoused and not be given a chance to explain why MEDICALLY you can not perform a certain task as a certain time than this is the place for you. Remember ask for Paul "the personal training manager"!

Jesse Parker, CO

I've been a member of Crunch Gym for almost 2 years at their flagship location in Greenwood village Colorado. Over the past year the cleanliness of this gym has drastically deteriorated. The rubber mats are filthy. As a matter of fact I got super sick breathing in whatever was on my mat a few weeks ago. Couldn't workout for a week and the doctor had to give me antibiotics and steroids to get rid of it. Toilet paper and paper towels are usually out in the men's bathroom and the cleaning towels on the gym floor are also usually out. Gym equipment is dusty and dirty. Not a good environment to work out in!! Starting to look for a new gym!

Laura Brown Riverside, CA

My friends & I went to the Crunch Gym on Hole Ave, Riverside to sign-up and were appalled by the reception we received from Sara at the front desk. There were several people standing by the desk waiting to be checked in. She was too busy chit-chatting & laughing to check them in & just waved them in!!! That is some security!!!! We stood there waiting to be helped. When she finally decided to assist us, she had a major attitude. Her unpleasant attitude just made us walk out. No Customer service!! We noticed the gym personnel to be just sitting around laughing, totally unprofessional!!! We are going somewhere else! Crunch, you need to train your employees the art of customer service. It's obvious SARA needs to take a course or 5!!!!!!!! Shame, shame, shame!!!!! I should have done my homework here before going! So many bad reviews for this gym. Pretty appalling that Crunch has not tried to improve their image!!

Mmmmm Santa Clarita, CA

On April 4, 2019, I signed up for personal training with Davis, the personal training manager at the Santa Clarita CRUNCH FITNESS for a package of 8 sessions which also included 2 additional sessions for free. The cost was $480.00. Unlike a standard business contract, there was NO paperwork just Davis indicating for me to sign on the electronic signage pad for my training package. NEVER ONCE did he mention there would be a monthly recurring charge of $480.00. Of course I signed because I was purchasing my 8 + 2 training sessions and I wanted to pay for them. WHY would I question that? Any legitimate and ethical business would advise you that you were actually signing a monthly recurring contract. Again NOT ONCE was ANYTHING mentioned about being charged monthly for additional training sessions. On May 6, 2019 a company named ABC FINANCIAL took $480.00 out of my account and again on June 4, 2019 took another $480.00. A TOTAL of $960.00 was taken from my account that I NEVER AUTHORIZED. While under the impression that I was ONLY paying for my 8 + 2 sessions, I did sign their electronic signage pad. Though, because of their misleading, dishonest and corrupt business practices, in reality I was UNKNOWINGLY signing a contact that was allowing them to charge me monthly for sessions that I never intended to have. I went into CRUNCH FITNESS and spoke to Jabari D, the club manager on June 10, 2019 regarding the unauthorized charges He then completed a “Request For Refund” form and informed me that I would be refunded the $960.00 in 7-10 business days. I did receive a check dated June 27, 2019 for $480.00. I immediately contacted Jabari D inquiring about the remaining $480.00 still owed to me, and he said he would look into it. After two weeks of multiple phone calls and emails to Jabari D, all of which were ignored, I started sending letters to the founders of CRUNCH FITNESS, Curtis and David H. I also spoke to Nic S, the Business Customer Service, Creative Coordinator. After all of this, I was informed they are not going to refund the additional $480.00. Their willingness to refund half of what is owed to me implies they recognize that they were guilty of poor business ethics. I personally know of others that have been deceived by CRUNCH FITNESS in the same manner as I have been. After researching I’ve found online what seemed to be a never ending list of complaints of the deceitful and shady business practices of CRUNCH FITNESS stealing money from members.

Renata Vucicevic

ONE HUGE SCAM! NO REGARD FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE AND SATISFACTION! I have paid my contractual yearly obligation to the club and ensured that my calendar reminder was set to call them to cancel. I was advised that the year is up and my contract is over - I WASN'T GIVEN ANY ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS. Two months went by and I noticed additional monthly charges, upon calling them I was advises that they have no record of my cancellation and I couldn't have done it over the phone, but needed to come in personally ( I just imagined this conversation I guess.....) I contacted their manager who then told me that contract is over (this time somehow I didn't have to go in personally....) I noticed that not only was I charged for the two extra months, but also for the renewal club fees (which I already advised them my daughter will no longer use back in May). SCAM! DO NOT SIGN ANY CONTRACTS WITH THEM AND FOR SURE DON'T LET YOUR KIDS SIGN UP. My son was with Goodlife and we had none of these issues.

Gregory Powell Pittsburgh, PA

This being my first experience with a gym membership. They told me $9.95, with a 30 cent sign up fee. While in the 3rd month they were going to charge me an annual fee of $40. My upon sign up, I was charged $16 and some change, which I thought was taxes and didn't pay any attention. Only to realize, they prorated a month to month annual fee and were still going to charge me the $40 dollar annual....even if I cancel at the end of my original 3 month contract, so in essence I'm ei.g charge an additional annual fee even though I would be canceling in more than enough time. So your charged monthly for your annual fee until they can take it out in another lump sum incase you cancel. Very sneaky practices. When given the number number to corporate, it's an automated machine that ask you questions about your residence and asks you to have your credit card up to sign up for additional offers, but NEVER gives you the option to reach someone. It'll say you've pressed an incorrect key. Please press 8 to continue with the offer or hang up. Very aloof & deceitful! Their personal trainers prices are outrageous! When you pay the $10 for 1 hour consultation, they'll talk to you over 30 an hour. Take you to do one exercise, then spend another 20 minutes trying to convince you to purchase their over priced services. If your a beginner, your going to need a workout buddy or trainer to make sure your not wasting your time. YouTube will only get you so far, but can't help you when you need a spotter. I would suggest your local YMCA first.

Debbie Culleton Sudbury, MA

They pretend to cancel you and don't. I have a Military issued Visa card they took in Hudson MA at Crunch Fitness. My credit card holder is going after them. I went there only because I was told to tell them in person. I took photo plus conversation I received and they looked back when I cancelled and admitted I cancelled and I have this conversation taped. This location is known for not cancelling members. They chill for a while and start again cause they can't keep members. I also reported them to 2 agencies. Never a call back or apology. Out of my hands now...let credit card company and better business bureau slove it. Guys watch your monthly bills if you join this place. Most fraduldnt gym I ever came into contact with. Debbie Culleton member at Hudson MA Crunch Fitness

brian chorny Bound Brook, NJ

trying to cancel my member ship because of a move this is not an easy step with crunch i am out of the country 4 month per year and have now been asked to come in for a manager to approve my cancellation. lol beside to bring the proof of address change that is 15 miles away or further -- Explaining that I am out of the country does not seam to suffice when they can see i have attended the gym 3 times in 6 month while paying each month do i need to email my closing statement ? lol RIDICULES AT BEST WOULD BE MY BEST DESCRIPTION A service center of any type should be a lot more customer friendly than this. I would not recommend it.

Jamie Citrus Heights, CA

Citrus Heights, CA: I joined last month and had my free personal training session. I loved it so I signed up for three months. A week and a half in, my trainer left. It's been three weeks now and I still haven't had another session but they charged me for my next month, of course! I've been asking for a session regularly over the last three weeks and I've been told there's no one available. Today, I was supposed to have a session and my new trainer got sick. I get it, it happens. So I talked to the "manager" and she scheduled me next week. I was asking her questions while she was getting me scheduled and she basically told me that most other customers were contacted and paired with new trainers because they were on the schedule for the trainers that left. Not only was I on the schedule with my trainer, no one even bothered to call me when the only two sessions I've had this month were cancelled. I got a copy of the contract and it states I can't get a refund for a trainer leaving so basically I'm screwed. They offered a half hearted apology but no real rectification for the whole ordeal. Once my sessions are done, I'm cancelling my contract and finding a new gym. I'd do it now but I've already spent more money than I want to for services I haven't received.

Viktoria New York, NY

Very disappointed by the way they sign people up and Keith R personally. I walked into 59 street location on Jan 28, Sunday. Keith R gave me the details about memberships. I was interested in a month-by-month plan. That day I've been told that the first charge will include last month, enrolment fee, some other fees and "first month will cost me $10 only". Next day I came back and clarified what will be included in the first charge. Keith gave me the same information: the first charge will include last month, enrolment fee, some other fees and "first month will cost me $10 only". Total charge $144.91 came thru on Jan 29. On Feb 2 my card was charged an additional $66.50 for the first month!! I emailed to Keith asking why I was charged for the first month if I've been told very clearly that my first month will be $10 only! He said he meant the rest of the month will be $10. First of all, I've been told TWO times, that my FIRST MONTH will be $10 only. Second, the rest of what month? I signed up on Jan 29! Third, in the charge breakdown he sent me upon my request, there was not even a $10 line or any first-month fee mentions. I feel bad giving 1 star to the entire gym because I do think guys on the front desk, trainers and other personnel doing a great job. But I do think giving misleading information to the customers to sign them up is very dishonest and very unfair.

Jonathan Bishop Phoenix, AZ

I was offered a trial for $1.00 outside a local strip mall on January 19th. The salesperson told me it was a trial and I could cancel. He had me pay a buck and sign his tablet. I got an email with a long contract with all sorts of scheduled charges and fees listed, so I emailed the contact listed on January 23rd. I stated that I was not aware of these monthly fees or yearly membership fees I was going to be charged and "I feel I was misinformed and do not wish to continue with this contract" and I wanted to cancel "without any further charges". The COO responded January 24th by telling me, "Sorry for the misunderstanding. You are not in a contract." This led me to believe I wasn't going to be charged and that it was handled. Today, February 1st, I was billed $29.95 anyways. I called the COO from the number he provided in his email and he, again, said I wasn't in a contract. After explaining that a contract for a membership is a contract and him being stubborn about it, I told him I would just have to dispute the transaction with the bank. He stated he would just show them the contract I signed. I gave him ample time to cancel what was advertised to me as a trial membership to avoid paying for a service I didn't end up wanting and he told me it wasn't like that. He did nothing. I tried to explain to him I would be posting these reviews but he just interrupted me and said, "you know what, man?" and hung up on me. That's the Chief Operating Officer Jonathan L for you, everybody.

Chris Richardson Charlton, MA

We joined last spring my college kid and I for the summer on what we were told was as month to month membership. We went twice. We wanted to quit but we're told we'd have to pay for the rest of the year. There were three of us there joining that day... Other person on her own account. We all asked and made sure we were not signing into long term agreement. When we tried to quit we were told otherwise. Once college kid went back to school out of country she was released.... But I was not. I stopped making payments or three CC was stopped being charged and I just got a debt collector call wanting hundreds of dollars now for those membership I've never used. I contacted management many times but they said they could nothing for me.

Mary Thomas Philadelphia, PA

Delran NJ - Membership was transferred without my permission or agreement & they deducted money from my account without my consent! Scamming at its best! Do not join this gym! Still haven't resolved cancelling my membership when I never agreed to be a member in the first place! Says they don't accept cancellation emails but I bet they accepted the email with all my information on it from the other gym that gave them my info without my permission! Zero stars! Why didnt the transferring gym ask for my permission to give my information to this gym? How can a gym charge me without my consent? How is this practice legal?

Benjamin Vera

Mississauga Ontario. Please read! I went with the VIP membership $20 a month, i wanted to cancel and they said you signed a contract for a year (was not informed, "fine print"). If i want to cancel early, i have to pay $100... there are two hidden fees within the year, was not advised either $22.50 ("fine print"). Went with the personal training, the guy seemed cool and all, all was going well until my employment hours were changed all of a sudden and could no longer make the classes, i was stuck on a year contract having to pay $215 a month. I revoked ach obviously, because im not even going to the classes, so hell no i am not going to pay. I called the bank to revoke all ach payments from crunch fitness from coming out of my account (personal training and membership) the next payment came out from ABC financial services on their behalf?! Come on... had to call ABC, the lady said we just started taking care of the payments for this company... before this i sent an email through the website (because they dont have an email, probably to avoid people) on Dec 6th, 2017 saying i revoke ach... blah blah blah and then they sent an email right back saying thank you we will contact you in 24 to 48 hours, i have yet to receive an email or phone call... (its Dec 15th, 2017). The gym equipment was okay, ripped cushions, missing pins (not a big deal) just saying... anyway didnt have the greatest experience and was there for 4 months.

Maryann gibson

I think it's pretty bad when you charge an annual fee after your third month when you planned on canceling your membership but you still get charged when we joined the gym it was because we thought my husband could do it he had a major heart attack so we thought maybe working out would help him when we told his doctor that we joined a gym his doctor told him no do not do that not with your heart so my husband and I decided OK we will wait three months and then we will stop the gym well my third month was up now I see I am charged the annual fees on both of us which is ridiculous so you're getting a very bad review from me

Crystal Cochell

1.0 star rating 4/24/2017 Pool is highly chlorinated. Jacuzzi is too! So much so the interior is degrading to the point it is crumbling. My suit experienced rapid deterioration. I myself experienced a chlorine rash after using them daily for one hour over a period of a week. Other members expressed their concerns too in the dressing room after the pool classes. I went in person to speak with management about my concerns and asked they not deduct the next monthly premium until they addressed my concern. They said it was too late for that as it would be charged out that night. I requested management to call me. They did not. They had the same person I spoke to call me instead and tell me again the only option would be to freeze my account until they researched the chlorination issue. I agreed and asked they inform me of their findings. They did not. I emailed a cancellation through Crunchfitness.com and received an email saying I would be contacted shortly. They did not. I called Crunch for an update and was told they found no issues. I asked my membership be cancelled. I was told I would need to come in and sign paperwork when management was there. I did. However, management did not assist me. The same person who I spoke with intilally processed it. I was asked to sign the cancellation that showed I WOULD NOT BE REFUNDED for the April dues. I did not. I called Crunch Fitness corporate office only to learn this is a FRANCHISE and I would need to deal with them directly. They seem unconcerned this franchise is underperforming. I have since disputed the charges and closed the card account so no other charges will occur. This experience has been les

Michael Howard Northridge, CA

BEWARE: DON'T SIGN ANYTHING WITH THESE PEOPLE. THEY WILL STEAL YOUR MONEY! Yes, it seems they would rather steal $10 from you rather than earn $100. I was a member of Crunch Northridge since 2013, got a trainer and was very happy until I became medically unable to workout. I notified my trainer (in person) immediately after my last training session that I needed to suspend both my membership and training, until my doctor allowed my return (which is allowed under the terms of the contract). At that point they were barred from further charging my credit card, both because I only signed a 3-month contract, and because it's terms allowed for medical suspension with no charges. However, they continued to charge my credit card, for both my membership and training, for 8 additional months while I was too ill to notice. Once I realized what they were doing I went in to complain about the "mistake." However, Star Eisenberg, GM, told me that they would not refund my money. I then disputed the charges with my credit card company and Ms. Eisenberg told responded with the BALD-FACED LIE that I had been attending the Gym for the entire 8 months. Members must sign in electronically, therefore they can't have a record of my attendance since I never checked in after January 2016. It shows the level of their dishonesty that they would tell a lie that is so easily checked. They are not only dishonest, but terrible business people, as I also wrote a very nice letter to Keith Worts, their CEO but was ignored. As a result they stupidly turned a loyal customer into a disgruntled adversary. Shame on Star Eisenberg, Mr. Worts, and their company. The above is my opinion based upon my experience with the General Mgr. and employees of this company.

Amy Velazquez

National city (Bonita) location horrible customer service. I literally felt harassed by the fitness coordinator Eileen. She micro manages the program and adjust the gym policy based on her own feelings that day. I have had service for 1 &1/2 years and have canceled. You should never feel harassed at a gym especially when you are doing something to fix your own health! Talk to manager and really do anything. In my last 2 week at this gym I was literally harassed by this woman 3 different times and I honestly think it was race based! I would NEVER recommend this location! I rather pay a little more and go to 24 hour fitness! If you choose to join please take a tour and consider a different location especially if you're a Hispanic woman planning on attending classes!

Carri Robinson San Marcos, CA

Customer Service is horrible, I truly believe only 1/3 of the employees know what they are doing. Cancellation was a nightmare. I went into the gym to cancel my membership. Filled out there paperwork, was not given a copy. Two months later I am still being charged. I contacted billing and I was told that my membership was showing canceled but that I hadn't paid for September or this month. When I told her that I hadn't paid September because my membership was canceled she informed me I would have to go to the gym and sort it out there. Ridiculous waste of my time. Worst gym. Machins always break, employees are rude, there is no regulations, and billing is a nightmare