Anytime Fitness Logo

Anytime Fitness

Is This Your Business?

4.0

LAST UPDATED: May 22nd, 2021

Chuck Runyon, Dave Mortensen, and Jeff Klinger founded Anytime Fitness in 2002 in St. Paul, Minnesota. All three men were previous business partners who successfully owned and operated, and then sold a local St. Paul fitness center several years ago focusing on the physical health and well-being of thousands of clients of all fitness levels. The idea for Anytime Fitness came after the founders worked as consultants for a firm that helped underperforming fitness clients’ increase their bottom line. As of 2015, Anytime Fitness has over 3,000 gym fitness locations and 2 million clients. The fitness club opened their first international location in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada and has since then expanded to fitness clubs in Australia, Canada, Grand Cayman, Japan, Mexico, the Netherlands, Poland, New Zealand, Qatar, and the United Kingdom. Anytime’s nationwide manifesto is to “Improve the self-esteem of the world.” The company is less concerned with how many pounds and inches its clients use but more focused on their improved quality of living and outlook on life. In 2011, Anytime Fitness developed a health and fitness app for their website that is available to members and serves as a platform to download workouts, track food, and interact with other users to meet fitness goals.

Planet Fitness Logo
3.6
Gold's Gym Logo
#3 Gold's Gym chevron_right
3.2

The Good

• Anytime Fitness rate and contracts
  • Upfront fees
  • Equipment
  • Fitness classes
  • Trainers and nutrition
  • Amenities
  • Anytime Fitness App

Anytime Fitness Rate and Contracts

Anytime Fitness membership fees and contracts depend on the kind of membership you apply for and the location, but the average cost is typically $30 to $36/month; however, in other clubs, the membership fee is $44 for a single monthly membership and $39 for a 12-month membership. Couples can also enroll in the gym usually at a discounted price when compared to applying individually. If you are not sure of the monthly fee, you can check the Anytime Fitness Membership Agreement where you will also find information on cancellation fees. The yearly membership also varies depending on the location, although the rate is usually in the $450 to $500 range. At some locations, Anytime Fitness offers a free month of memberships to the top male and female attendees each month. This means if you are a "gym rat" you have a chance to save money. Overall, Anytime's membership fees are less expensive than some of the nation's most popular gym chains, making it more affordable for the average working person to maintain a monthly membership. One membership gives you access to thousands of anytime fitness locations worldwide, so if you travel regularly, you can go to the nearest Anytime gym for no additional fee. Several gyms we reviewed only allowed members free fitness training access to one location.

The fitness club's gym membership fees may also be affected by offers, discounts, and promotions offered separately by location. each gym within the franchise is independently owned and operated by individual franchisees. Each state may also have a different cancellation fee or policy. For the accurate pricing details, contact a nearby location.

Upfront Fees

Anytime members have to pay an enrollment fee of $50. The company offers members a "No Member Left Behind" program. This is a program for all new members where they get a free 30-day "get-started" program with two complimentary training sessions, nutritional recommendations, and a customized workout plan. With Anytime Fitness, you also get a free month if you get friends and family members to join and if you refer four or more people, you get one year free. These perks are unique to Anytime as our reviewers have not found similar introductory offers at other gyms. The $50 activation fee is less expensive than the average fitness center, many of which charge upfront fees of $75 or more.

Equipment

When it comes to health and fitness equipment, Anytime Fitness gyms offer:

• Cardio Equipment
  • Cable crossovers
  • Kettlebells
  • Lateral X trainers
  • AMT cross trainers

Each of Anytime's gyms typically has the same equipment, with the exception of a few offering Tan Beds and Hydro Massage Beds. Due to each location being independently owned and operated, the set-ups all include free weights, Nautilus, stationary bikes, spin class bikes, Studio with Video Workouts, ellipticals and treadmills.

Fitness Classes

Customers at the health club enjoy group fitness classes offered free with their membership at fitness locations. These classes include cycling, strength and conditioning, silver sneakers, step aerobics, Zumba, Yoga, and Pilates. There are some major gyms that offer more of a variety of physical group fitness health and wellness classes but certain classes may come at an additional price. The advantage of participating in group exercise classes is that you will be paired with individuals of all fitness levels to not only help you feel comfortable, but to help you reach your fitness and wellness goals.

Trainers and Nutrition

With Anytime Fitness, there is no up-selling or pressure of any kind to work with an on-site personal trainer. All staff trainers are in tune with members' abilities and goals and work diligently with one-on-one training in a friendly atmosphere. Customers especially like that Anytime offers a free fitness consult and guidance from personal trainers who aim to educate, not get them to purchase personal training sessions. Members can choose between group training and one-on-one sessions. Pricing is not discussed until you schedule a full inquiry and go to the local gym to inquire.

Amenities

Anytime's biggest unique selling proposition is its 24/7 availability, which gives members access around-the-clock, even on holidays. Members receive a special "FOB" access key to get into the facility 24/7. The company ensures member's safety through cameras located on the premises. The company also has alarm fobs members can wear around their neck after hours that allows you to call for emergency service with a push of a button if you need assistance. Anytime even conducts background checks on every member, which can make customers feel more secure or more violated regarding privacy.

Anytime Fitness App

Do you find yourself struggling to workout if it requires you to go to the gym? Many people struggle with this as some fitness locations are either not close or simply not convenient. The Anytime Fitness App allows for people everywhere to fuel their confidence. Some of the features on this fitness App include:

• 1,100+ workout plants
  • Goal setting capabilities
  • Goal tracking
  • Health Feed
  • View Membership information
  • Update personal information
  • View gym history
  • View, confirm, and cancel appointments
  • Find gym and fitness locations
  • View gym offers and promotions

The Bad

• Hidden fees
  • Cleanliness
  • Other available amenities

Hidden Fees

Many reviews have complaints about Anytime Fitness prices and "hidden fees" and the fact that it does not advertise its fee structure online. If you're able to track down a person who is willing to answer your questions on the phone about their payment plans, hidden and initiation fees, you will be able to alleviate much of the confusion and headache if you decide Anytime is the gym for you. We did, however, find a hidden fee called "key fob deposit" for $86.96. Anytime states that this deposit will be refunded after your annual contract (or lease) ends. Some customers who end their contract prematurely report difficulty getting this deposit refunded. A $38 fob key deposit is also charged to trial membership users if they want to use the gym after business hours. Some customers feel like this is deceitful since the offer is advertised as a one-week free trial.

Cleanliness

According to Anytime's website, every club under the Anytime Fitness franchise is cleaned and maintained according to the highest standards. Customers generally have not commented about the gym's cleanliness in any significant detail. We did find that the level of hygiene varies from location to location. Overall, Anytime's cleanliness is average.

Other Available Amenities

Other amenities the company offers at its fitness centers are free Wi-Fi, private restrooms, and private showers. Anytime is not replete with upscale amenities like many of their competitors who offer indoor/outdoor pools, spas, steam rooms, massage beds, cafés, etc. Also, Anytime does not offer childcare the way similar gyms of its size do.

The Bottom Line

Overall, Anytime Fitness is a get in, get your workout done, and get out type of facility. There are not a lot of additional amenities at these gyms like childcare or steam rooms that can add variety to your fitness journey. Most have a very basic gym layout, with very few locations offering swimming pool services. Due to the company's facilities being open 24/7, we recommend Anytime Fitness gyms for anyone who is a "night owl," works the graveyard shift but wants a gym to work out in regularly outside of business hours or on holidays. We also recommend Anytime for people who travel a lot and want a gym membership that allows them access to any location at no additional charge. Anytime is also a viable option for anyone who doesn't want to be pressured by personal trainers to buy training sessions with workout programs and desires a warm, community-like environment. We do not recommend those wanting an upscale spa-like gym with lots of open space to try Anytime, as many customers complain about the small anytime fitness locations and limited space. Anytime's fitness prices and monthly dues are affordable for the average working individual at $44/month for a single person membership at a local club. There are hidden fees, so before you sign a contract make sure you ask plenty of questions.

2.7

ROBERT E WHITE Vandergrift, PA

Joined In Leechburg,pa 3 Weeks Ago Due To My Blood Sugar And Having Over 30 Operations I Need Someone Who Knows What There Doing Well Melissa And Sandy Do Talked With Me About Eating And How To Work Out Slowly Well Sugar Has Dropped From 200 To 100 -110 Weight Dropped 10Pds They Care About Me Its Not A Diet Its Eating 5 Times A Day I Work Out Mon-Friday This Place Is Great They Dont Let You Hurt Yourself About Being Clean Its Spotless Because We All Keep It That Way Lisa Knows What She Is Doing About Setting You Up As A Member Not Pushing Anything On You Its Up To You All I Can Say Thanks Alot

Aleah

I love this gym and it’s atmosphere ! Such amazing staff and good vibes all around. Christine helped me sign up and she is super sweet, lovely and efficient! I have recently been doing PT with Sophia and love it she is so lovely! She is really helping me keep focused and she is really genuine and caring and I look forward to each session! Also she is very knowledgeable, friendly, very efficient & patient in explaining different muscle groups we work on 😊 did I mention love this place !?

Debbie Salman

My Anytime Fitness experience has been the greatest experience I have ever had with a fitness/health club. The staff is very attentive and know's almost everyone's name. With their help/advice/support I've lost 80lbs. and have never felt better. I am 61 years old and they listen to my issues and offer constructive advice. They are committed to my health and well being. I would highly recommend this gym to my friends and family.

walter e crockran North Little Rock, AR

I enjoy it because they are always open. When I want to talk to staff members I know when to go. The ones that I go to are clean and not many people are in the gym so that is really nice to me. Staff is super friendly and helpful

Farookh Syed Roswell, GA

I was not looking for a fancy workout place. Just one very close to home that gives me range of equipment that I can use Anytime (no pun intended) I absolutely love my gym in Roswell, has extremely friendly staff and is very very clean. I get all i need and more and for what I pay through my health coverage i cannot imagine a better deal.

Mary McNabb

My husband and I have belonged to Anytime Fitness in Australia and now in Canada. The three gyms we've used were uniformly welcoming, the staffs helpful and friendly. The facilities are well maintained. Anytime Fitness is a large part of our efforts to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

Pamela Andrews East Lansing, MI

I have been a Haslett Anytime member for several years now! I actually look forward to my workouts! The owners and all employees have created a family-like atmosphere at this gym! I never hesitate to ask fitness advice! I was a member of the MAC for 22 years until switching to Haslett Anytime and I am so glad I did!

Cassidy Gundersen Orem, UT

I LOVED working out at Anytime Fitness. It is so nice to have it open all of the time and use the gym when is best for you. I was able to utilize the gym in the middle of the night- which I wouldn’t be able to do at another gym. Their staff was always friendly and they had a good selection of machines to choose from. I highly recommend.

Sean Mullen

I've been a member for a few months and at 75 I've been working out most of my adult life and find Anytime Fitness very clean facilities, newest equipment, and a professional staff and owner. I use Anytime Fitness on Cape Cod and in Kailua, Hawaii and absolutely happy with my decision to join.

Jerry Policicchio Pensacola, FL

Josh and Mary Jo take s personal interest in helping you achieve whatever fitness goals you desire. And if you're not doing enough they're sure to motivate you to do so... Excellent staff. Excellent facility... Jerry

Kim Snohomish, WA

LOVE THIS GYM! I love that it is not overly busy and I am able to actually workout because not all the equipment is taken! Would recommend this gym to anyone who does not like crowded gyms.

Rommie Bishop III Rexburg, ID

I attended an Anytime Fitness in Washington State for a month, and heavily enjoyed the heavy military discount. It was a great gym that suited all my needs, and of course, the fact that I could go literally anytime helped me reach my weightlifting goals... bro.

Hailey Nilson Salt Lake City, UT

Anytime Fitness is the absolute best. I have a crazy busy schedule so it's nice to know that it will always be open and I can go in anytime I want. Also, the equipment is great, it's never crowded, and the employees there are so friendly.

Randal hyde Springfield, MO

The name says it all- you can work out anytime with a membership. I also like that gyms are available to me when I travel for work, across the country. Anytime fitness has a great variety of machines, personal trainers, and sometimes tanning. You don't feel intimidated working out here.

Shaylee Provo, UT

Anytime Fitness is the place to workout! The machines are easy to use which make it a non-intimating envirnoment for beginners like me. Love it and will keep going for sure.

Michelle W Coraopolis, PA

Super clean equipment that I can get a good workout in anytime. I love going either super late at night or early in the morning when there are less people these. The hours are just awesome.

April American Fork, UT

Anytime fitness is a great place to go and work out! I enjoy their variety of classes and I appreciate that you have access at any hour, day or night, because you had a key to the facilities.

wanda Saint George, UT

when you walk in the staff knows you by name, they always say hi. its clean. doesn't smell awful. equipment works great. i like that it is not over crowded like the other gyms.

Noelle Pleasant Grove, UT

Love anytime fitness!! I can go whatever time works around my schedule and that's something I love about it. I don't have to worry about missing a certain time I signed up for. So, that's something I love!

Michael Sersen Sarasota, FL

Gave me stimulation to work out because of it's warm community environment, less macho trainers and variety of equipment.

Trevor Jeary

Been to a lot of gyms but seems to me that my pick of Anytime Fitness was well worth it and won't be changing gyms anytime soon

Maile Curtis Salt Lake City, UT

It's always a good time at Anytime Fitness Center! I love their yoga classes. The staff is always super nice and friendly.

Kimberly Maddock Pleasant Grove, UT

I love Anytime Fitness. There is no hassle to get in and out and on your way. There are always enough machines and they are clean! My favorite gym experience so far!

Robin Orem, UT

its down the street from my house so that is convenient. not as packed or over crowded. front workers are pleasant and helpful. equipment are clean, and doesn't smell awful.

Hallieford Arlington, TX

Anytime Fitness is great for the Sunday and middle of the night workouts when other gyms are closed.

A’lea Richardson Lakeland, FL

Great gym with lots of great equipment and an affordable monthly membership. Love this gym!

Amy Ivanoff North Ridgeville, OH

Great staff and trainer. Good variety of equipment. Very, very clean facility.

Megan Keller

Love this place. Very affordable and works with my hectic schedule. Able to tan as well!

Carol

Great. Very friendly and I love the convenience of being able to work out on my schedule.

jessie wong

I chose this gym because it works with my lifestyle. 24hr , so i definitely should have no excuses.

Mazi Marcel Womack Cedar City, UT

I love anytime fitness. They always have the latest equipment and it is always well taken care of and clean.

Kaiya ward Lehi, UT

I absolutely love this place because of the connivance of "anytime" fitness it is open always and is super affordable!

Tarek Lukye

Very polite and inviting staff. I would recommend this gym to anyone.

KEVIN MERRILL

Open anytime to meet my schedule, gym was neat and clean and never crowded.

Jennifer

I have no complaints about Anytime! Friendly, safe and clean environment.

Helen C

Experience is very good, great classes and training. Friendly atsomphere.

Randi Nelson San José, SJ

I love anytime fitness because they have nice quality equipment and a friendly environment.

Jessica Eagle Mountain, UT

I like Anytime Fitness. It’s not as crowded as most gyms and the hours are great.

Danielle Powell Long Beach, MS

Loved the convenance of the location. My health insurance covered it which made it a great deal

Tracy Womack Cedar City, UT

Anytime Fitness is one of the best gyms out there. They have great and clean facilities.

Michael Ogden, UT

Clean 24 hour gyms. Never seem to busy.